Possible precursor to Rolle as Dolphin

Posted by Darren Urban on March 5, 2010 – 10:10 am

So I listened to Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland say at the combine this of free safety Gibril Wilson, who struggled last season: “We have our evaluation of Gibril Wilson. We know what kind of player he’s capable of being. I think he’s going to be a very good player for the future. He was disappointed in his play last year. I think he can play better. We’ll just have to see. I think he will.”

Sounded like a guy who was going to get another chance. Um, nope. His agent tweeted Wilson is being released today.

What does that mean for the Cards? Well, it makes me think the Dolphins are confident they have a shot at Antrel Rolle. And that Ireland apparently thought Wilson would be a “very good player” somewhere besides Miami.

Tags: , ,

52 Responses to “Possible precursor to Rolle as Dolphin”

1. By NYCARDSFAN on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Do we have our eyes on anyone to fill the void should Rolle end up in squidville?

2. By christian on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

darren what does this mean? he is a free agent now so cards are just going to let him go then?

3. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

“And that Ireland apparently thought Wilson would be a “very good player” somewhere besides Miami.”

GREAT one Darren!

4. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

NYCards –

I am sure there is a plan, but I have not heard any names yet.

5. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Christian –

Not sure what you are asking. If you are talking about Rolle, he became a free agent yesterday when the Cards released him.

6. By Wampag on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I am pretty sure we lost Rolle which i know its only March 5th but he does a lot back there and he is always good for a couple of Defensive TD’s I trust Whiz I know they have something up their sleeves and for some reason i think we are going to end up bringing in more former Pitt players…are you hearing anything?

losing Rolle is a BIG BIG BIG loss

especially with the way our D has been playing and after we lost Matt Ware last year the D was never the same what do you think?

7. By Barry on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Already heard…Rolle is up in NY checking things out? I think its going to be realy hard getting Rolle to come back…someone is going to pay him the “bigbucks” I guess its not us…as usual. We need to just start paying folks and quit being stingy!

8. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

Losing Rolle would hurt, yes. Losing Dockett, or Wilson, or even Calais Campbell I think would be a bigger loss.

9. By Kenny on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Any thoughts on picking up Gibril Wilson if Rolle goes? He’s supposed to be a “very good player for the future,” right?

10. By christian on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

my fault, i know he was released. but you said cardinals will make im a top priority in ree agency. so are they going to try and get him back? thats hat im asking

11. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Kenny –

If Rolle leaves, there are a lot of possibilities in play.

12. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Christian –

I think the Cards still are in the mix, yes.

13. By cards fan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Don’t forget on losing 2 touchdowns a year on field goal returns if Rolle leaves…

14. By christian on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

alright then thanks, i appreciate it. you know larrys back in AZ? well if it helps tell the cards i will clean the lockers and anything else for free if they resign antrell and boldin haha.. if wishes could come true

15. By Ben on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

This quote honestly says nothing. You can read anything you want into it. It may mean they will try to get Rolle, or they may try to get a different safety in free agency. It may even mean that they will draft a safety. Based on these words, this says nothing about Miami’s intent, but even more importantly, the Cardinals intent. Yes, Rolle is now a free agent, and Miami may make an offer, but so can the Red Birds.

But based on this quote, anything is up to interpretation.

Please we want real stories, and real reports, not just conjecture based on some vague statement made by one GM in the league, that actually gives no information.

16. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

Well, given this time of year, I disagree. First of all, we already know the Dolphins want Rolle. It’s been reported, and I think I have mentioned it, that there is an offer on the table for him. The point of this posting was that, had Wilson stayed, maybe the Dolphins didn’t think Rolle was happening. Now, given they feel comfortable enough to dump Wilson, maybe something has shifted with Rolle.

Seriously, if you don’t want conjecture around free agent time, I’m surprised you are even bothering reading about the league. That’s about all that is happening right now.

17. By Tyler Comella on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Even if we do get rolle back what price would it be at. I think he is a top 5 safey but we have one of the best safteys in adrain wilson and to me there is just no way you pay rolle more then you play wilson because wilson is are best defense played I think. Even if rolle leaves i think our coaching staff and front office will be able to bring in a decent free agent like Gaberial Wilson or rasashd jonhson is just going to have to group up fast.

18. By Lee on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

What about that lawson kid for us, he hails from Queen Creek, Az.
    He is a good pass rusher and can play linebacker or defensive end

19. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Lee –

Is he someone in the draft?

20. By Ben on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I understand that now is the time for conjecture. My point was that the quote from the Miami GM really did not give any insight. If it mentioned Rolle specifically or if the post mentioned an actual offer, that would have been different. I guess that all I am saying is that I was looking for something stronger, like he had a trip planned or a confirmed call or meeting or something. Sorry, I love them Red Birds and want the best info possible. I am sure you do too, and you are reporting what you hear.

I know it will be next to impossible to keep all of our top free agents, but with the extra money from Kurt retiring, and the possible Boldin trade, we should be able to keep either Dansby or Rolle. Right now, I personally would choose Rolle. I think he had a more consistent season.

21. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

In terms of Ireland’s comment, I was there when he said it and frankly, I thought, “Rolle may not be going there” because he said it. To have the Dolphins turn around and cut Wilson a week later I thought was signficant.

Not sure about your final comment. I think I would lean toward Dansby, simply because he plays a more important position. That said, the money each wants/gets is a factor. Let’s hope the Cards have the chance to keep at least one.

22. By pacardfan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

If the Fins do end up releassing Wilson and Rolle is lost to either Fins, Giants, or elsewhere, G. Wilson would def. be nice to go after. His value would be good and the Cards. could get him for a good price prob. I hope the Cards. can work something out with Rolle, but it is looking as the Fins., Bears, and NYG are the active high paying teams out there now, along with the Skins. Surpised Dallas has been quite thus far. As far Dansby, if it’s true that Cards are back in the hunt, that’s great, but they must get him or Rolle back. Even if they get Rolle back, I say take a shot at Wilson too. Rolle has the CB experience so they could play around with def. schemes. On another note, I saw that the 49ers are going actively for Carr.

23. By Ben on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Yes, keeping both would be ideal, but probably impossible. I agree the LB position is more important, to me though it seemed the depth in the secondary cost us at the end of the season. But in all fairness, if the linebackers are weak, it will affect the secondary as well.

The nature of the beast now in all sports is that changes will be made every season due to free agency, especially in an uncapped year. Hopefully the Cards can keep most players while still filling in some depth holes.

Any word on who we are looking at bringing in? I figure we are not in the market for a big name, and for me that is good. Love the team now, and think it just needs some role players.

Please Darren, give me some good news :)

24. By Wampag on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey D it seems every team is doing something am i being optimistic thinking that the CARDS are going to make a big splash or is the concern keeping Dansby?

what do you think they will do and are you hearing any names?

25. By alex u on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Antrel Rolle = New York Giants

26. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

I think the fact the Cards are still in the Dansby hunt is good news.

27. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

I think Dansby looks like the main target right now. Everything else is on the backburner.

28. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Alex U –

That’s what one report says. We’ll see soon, I believe.

29. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

So if the Cardinals are not going to pay Rolle what he wants, and they are not going to pay Dansby what he wants, they are not going to pay Boldin what he wants, then what the heck is Arizona going spend money on? The defense is the only thing they need depth on, and now is going tot need even more after we lose Rolle and Dansby, this offseason is one big :(

30. By dylan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

yeah i dont understand we have a ton of money to spend if we are trading or letting go 3 huge contracts what are we doing with the money plz tell me sign one back i would rather have rolle we can do with out boldin and karlos

31. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Im not trying to doubt the team or make it try and sem like they making horrible decisions, and I understand that you always lose players and resign new ones to replace the others, but it just looks so sketchy when nothing positive has happend so far, and when 3 of your star players are most likely going to leave, its not good at all, I just hope we dont get screwed come next season due to lack of depth in the positions that were perfectly filled seasons before

32. By NYCARDSFAN on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Off the beaten path, is there any interest in the organization for Donovan McNabb, should he become available. I am trying to be optimistic about Leinart, but he didnt show much to be confident about in 2009. At least from what I had seen. In my opinion, it would be nice to have a veteran QB to help us get our super bowl ring this year.

33. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

NYCards –

I’m going to answer this as nicely as possible. As I have written back in January and answered in many, many, many comment replies, the Cardinals have no interest in trading for Donovan McNabb.

34. By John on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, I remember (not that long ago) when the Cards were bad and FAs would come here to drive the price up with there previous team, much like Warner did last year.
    Is Dansby playing everyone ? I know he will follow the money, but does he really want to stay here, and is just trying to drive up the offer?

Just a thought, cuz I thought he was long gone and to hear the Cards are still in the running is strange.

35. By NYCARDSFAN on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Sorry. I missed that.

36. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

John –

I thought he was long gone because I didn’t see the Cards thinking he is worth what he is going to get. I still don’t see him as an $8M a year player. But if the Cards upped their offer and the rest of the market isn’t quite what Karlos thought’d it be … here we are. Is he trying to drive up his offer? Damn skippy he is. But that’s what every FA is trying to do. That’s how it works.

I’m hoping his BFF Adrian Wilson gives him a call and says, “Los, if all is equal, stick around.”

37. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

NYCards –

Sorry about being snippy. Nothing personal. It’s just that I was hoping to be past that rumor (which never had legs in Az in the first place).

38. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Arizona hould have tried to make the grab for Cromartie before it was late, McFadden showed absolutly nothing positive last season, his best play was a fumble recovery, wich my boy DRC caused

39. By christian on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

we dont need mcnabb. i woudnt want him on the team anyway leinarts fine i think when he played in tennesse he did ok. the thing is he didnt get as much reps cuz warner was a starter, i think he should be good we got to give him a chance instead of just throwing him to the dogs. are main problem is we need to learn how to resign and work things out with players and look into free agency more. we keep losing good players and then having problems in that positon we cant jus cut someone good then think will be able to draft someone as good or sign someone that will automaticly just be good. LEARN HOW TO PAY PEOPLE AND BE ABLE TO WORK OUT CONTRACTS to the best of ur abillity.

40. By John on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

One more guy to throw into the mix.
    OJ Atogwe FS from Rams. I know he is a Restricted FA but Rams tendered him first right of refusal.
    Atogwe has 15 picks over the last 3 years and would make fans forget about Rolle. What kind of Dollars is he looking for? Too much??
    I know Rolle is the first priority, and Ryan Clark is on the radar, but this guy is good.
    Just a thought
    Keep up the conjecture Darren, fans love to speculate

41. By NYCARDSFAN on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Thats alright man, you gotta be running on empty these days. Forgive me being a bit behind as in western NY all the news is about the bills and eagles.

42. By christian on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

darnell said he talked to antrell hopefully A-dub will talk to him and be able to keep him here with us same with karlos. but what about scott fujita and dunta robinson? way better then mcfadden and if we lose los what bout fujita? or he want big money to?

43. By Jesus on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren maybe you should inform everyone of the rule of eight again. its not that easy for the Cards to go out and spend. right! its ok atleast everyone can wish. I trust there is a plan in place.
    Go Big RED.

44. By John on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I was one who was ready to let Dansby walk, but if getting him back at a price we can live with is possible, get him out of Miami. Besides Los, living in Miami will only cause you trouble :)
    Not having to fill his spot with an old vet like Foote or drafting an ILB early, frees up another pick somewhere else.
    Hopefully, it wont effect deals for Dockett and Breaston (iknow Breaston is a tendered RFA, I mean a long term deal next year)

45. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Christian –

We’ll see on Fujita but until Dansby makes a decision, that’s the linebacker this team is chasing.

46. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Jesus –

To be honest, the rule of 8 isn’t much in play. It doesn’t affect your own free agents (they can money-whip all their own guys if they want) and the Cards never spend big in FA anyway.

47. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

John –

I’m not counting on keeping Dansby yet. But every hour that goes by without him signed is a good sign for the Cards, I believe.

48. By Tyler Comella on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren I just herd that the cardinals are close to reaching a deal to trade boldin. I herd he was going to the ravens but what would the cardinals be getting in return if they were to trade boldin to the ravens?

49. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Tyler –

Here’s my link.

50. By John on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Jesus,
    Cards could sign Ryan Clark or OJ Atogwe if we lose Rolle.
    Plus, I believe they could sign one higher dollar guy(unlimited FAs who were Cards last year) and unlimited guys under 3.5 million as a final 8 team also.
    Isnt that right Darren? Or have I confused something?

51. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

John –

You are basically correct. Again, I don’t think the rules of 8 are going to hurt the Cards the way they go about free agency.

52. By crdnl85 on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

darren i am absoutely ticked at the Cardinals right now.I trust Wiz,but he can’t keep a winning team on the field if the front office is going to let our best players go.That was a terrible trade they made to get rid of Bolden.And i hope i’m wrong but i doubt Antrel,or Karlos will be back either.Now with one of Matt Leinart’s best targets gone and the defense getting worse every day,it looks like they are throwing Matt under the but too.The time to cough up the money to keep these guys was before vthey left.