• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.

Suddenly, Anquan could be moved

Posted by Darren Urban on March 5, 2010 – 2:05 pm

ESPN’s Adam Schefter just tweeted this: “Arizona is closing in on a long-anticipated deal to trade Pro Bowl wide receiver Anquan Boldin. Leading contender: Baltimore. KC also in.” Again, nothing surprising. Will it be for that suddenly much-talked about third-round pick? I always thought there was a good chance Boldin would be moved this offseason, I just figured it would be closer to the draft. And maybe it doesn’t happen. Profootballtalk.com is reporting the Patriots are in play too. Depending on what the Cards get, at least he’d be in the AFC. UPDATE: The Patriots are reportedly not in it anymore.

If it doesn’t, it’ll be interesting to hear Boldin speak tomorrow at Kurt Warner’s annual charity flag football tournament. Boldin is scheduled to play. If a deal goes down today, I’m guessing Q won’t be there.

Tags: , , , ,

56 Responses to “Suddenly, Anquan could be moved”

1. By cardsfan89 on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I hope we keep him for another year if it is just for a 3rd rounder. It would slow down the growth of the other wr a bit and the relationship with Matty though. Maybe a 3rd rounder and a player.

2. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

CardsFan89 –

If it’s the Chiefs, it’d be nice to get the lesser of their two second-round picks.

3. By dioalice on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I think a third round pick for Q at this stage (with the emergence of Breaston and Doucet) is acceptable and about right. It’s a business and I know the naysayers and bandwagon fans will cry foul, the fact of the matter is Q’s production tapered off (4 TD’s last year). Was he an awesome player for the Cardinals? Absolutely.

But, the writing has been on the wall for awhile with Anquan. It’s probably time for both parties to move along.

4. By John on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I’ve thought Ozzie in Balt. was going to pull the trigger. I still think its a 2 and not a 3. Especially now 3 teams are involved.
    NE isnt that big of a surprise. Moss is talking last year and Welker is coming off an injury.

Boldin is a fan favorite and I loved watching him play, but dealing him just makes sense.

Is Doucet the happiest Cardinal right now if the deal goes through.Im sure they are friends but Finally more playing time.

5. By Andre on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Looks as if the biding price of Boldin is going up. I’m guessing New England. He’ll be very happen there and they have what the Cards are looking for, Draft picks. What do you think the cards would ask for Darren? I’m guessing a 2nd round pick(but which one?)

6. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Andre –

Well, if multiple teams are really involved, I’m taking the highest pick available, which would be from K.C. if the rounds are the same.

7. By Tyler Comella on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

If the cards do end up trading boldin for a 3rd round pick then this has to mean that they are going to resign at least rolle or dansby. Also how are we going to give up boldin for a 3rd pick you got to be kidding me he is worth more then that. This also has to mean that the cardinals are going to sign breaston long term right?

8. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

One of the best recievers in the game is worth no more than a 3rd round pick to his own team that hes been with his whole career?

9. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Tyler –

First of all, I don’t know what they are going to trade Q for. Don’t forget, maybe the reason it hasn’t happened yet is that all teams are offering are third-round picks and the Cards want more. But beyond that, Boldin is only worth in a trade what someone will give up for him. If no one is willing to surrender more than a third, then he isn’t worth more than a third (that said, I probably would keep him if all I was offered was a third). Yes, I’d assume Breaston would be in the long-term plans then.

As for Rolle and Dansby, they are trying to re-sign at least one. But if those guys don’t want to take it, it’s not like the Cards can make them.

10. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

RodgersCromartie –

I don’t know that. But I don’t see Anquan re-upping, so unless the Cards want one more season from Boldin and then watch him leave, then maybe they do take a third.

11. By Eazy E on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

WTF??? I’ve been hearing 3rd for a minute now, but seriously, i wouldn’t consider that unless they add a player on top of that. A CB, OLB, ILB,etc. I mean come on. Like the chargers deal to the jets, that was garbage. They got a freakin 3rd round pick in 2011 for a freak athlete like cromartie. That was super dumb for san diego just to get a 3rd in 2011 of all things.

12. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Instead of a 3rd round pick id like to see us get someone for him, like a CB that can play on DRC’s level since McFadded obviously cant

13. By Darthcard on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Kurt retires. Berry retires. K-Los good as gone. A. Rolle good as gone. Okeafor not coming back. Gandy gone. Boldin being dealt for pennies. Why couldn’t the lock out be this year. There’s noone out there that can replace them. The cards are an expansion team.

14. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Eazy –

From everything I am hearing, Cromartie has many issues that the Chargers didn’t want to deal with. Sometimes, it’s addition by subtraction. With Boldin, it’s the added stigma of knowing, as the trading partner, you’re going to have to give Boldin a new contract. Teams aren’t going to shell out. Remember, GMs don’t look at this like fans. Other GMs see Boldin as a good receiver but one who 1) gets banged up, 2) is 30 in October and 3) wants a big new contract.

15. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Rodgers –

Listen to what you are saying. “A CB that can play on DRC’s level.” You think a team is trading a Pro Bowl CB for Boldin? Nope. Not happening.

16. By Andre on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Eazy E

Cromartie half assed it in a playoff game, I think that’s why they traded him.

17. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darth –

Might as well not even play. Hopefully the Cards can win two games this year.

18. By THE ONE on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

CARDS ARE MY TEAM! HOWEVER, they need to respect ANQUAN and give him what he deserves! SERIOUSLY, get off the high horse of everyone else and reevaluate! CMON CARDS! Q has done plenty to help this organization! GET WITH the PROGRAM!

19. By Cardianl RED on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren

A 3rd Round are you kidding me. Thats the worse possible thing that can happen. Boldin is one of the top 5 Wide outs in the game. This is crazy. We need to keep him least 1 more year give Matt the same weapons as warner had so that he can succeed, because im sorry cardinal fans we are still not going to be a Running team. We are no where good enough yet.. Come on Cards get it together. Re-sighn Rolle, Maybe Dansby if he doesnt want a gazillion dollar and for god sakes give boldin a new deal so that we can have the BEST!!!!!! seriously the BEST Wide out Tandem the NFL has ever seen. And i am seriously pissed that we didnt give the chargers a 3rd rounder for Cromartie what a steal he’s still 25 and just needed a new start. would have fit perfectly. And i still want Shawn Merriman for this years second round and next years second round. Cmon cards make some moves huh…..
    Please Darren tell me you agree.

20. By mark on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I love Q I honestly hope he stays, besides if the defense isnt going to get better with all these players being lost, well then we will need an offense that can try and keep up, and Q will help with that and it will make for exciting games. Besides they can always franchise him and it would not break the bank, alothough he probabley wont like it.

21. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Cardinal Red –

I think you make a couple of decent points, but I think you also sound like someone trying to play fantasy football in a world that is about business as much as football.

22. By John on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Would anyone take these players?
    A-Dub
    Dockett
    Justin Tuck
    Frank Gore
    Lance Briggs
    Jason Whitten
    Steve Smith ( carolina )
    Brian Westbrook
    Matt Schaub
    the list goes on. Sound like players you want?
    They all were third round picks. A third round pick isnt giving him away. You can get a quality player. Dont forget Boldin was picked towards the end of the second.

With that being said, I still think its a two they get for him.

23. By Billy Thomas on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Is it any surprise that KC wants Boldin? Haley isn’t stupid. He knows the kind of impact Anquan makes. I can’t believe the Cards are crazy enough to allow this kind of wheeling and dealing with their playmakers! You can’t lose Boldin, Karlos, Warner, and Rolle all in the same offseason! If the Cards end up losing all of those players, I don’t know how much respect I can have for the organization. Pay people something for once!!!!

24. By Cardianl RED on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    ok ok ok maybe a little bit of fantasy thinking (but thats just what happen with the Cromartie trade no?). But is that all you think Boldin is worth just a 3rd rounder. Hes better off staying and taking us to another superbowl. Hows about our Draft board lookin do we have any ideas of what we might be thinking maybe even trading up. Im really hoping to somehow land Rolando McCalin or even a Brandon Spikes. And if we loose Rolle Taylor Mays is the man to go for and i think we could even get em. maybe even in second round if he falls What do you think

25. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Red –

First, I wouldn’t have traded for Cromartie. I’m sorry, but if he was great — and a 20-something former Pro Bowl CB without injuries is coveted in this league, big time — the Chargers don’t trade him. Period. That raises HUGE red flags for me about the guy. That’s like the Cards dumping DRC for a third-rounder. They wouldn’t.

As for Q, I will repeat what I already said — if no one is willing to pay more than a third-rounder, that’s all he is worth. That doesn’t mean you have to trade him, but if no one gives up, say, a second-rounder, there are reasons, right?

I don’t see the Cards trading up. The Cards are loathe to do such things, and besides, this is considered a very deep draft. No reason to move up. Not sure Mays falls to the bottom of the second round. He could be the Cards’ first-round pick, depending on how FA turns out.

26. By Cardianl RED on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    Well said (both Boldin and Cromartie) i just cant believe that people, teams, organizations wouldnt be lining up for boldins services. but thanks for the insight. Keep up the good blogs Darren you da man
    AND LETS GO CARDINALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. By Eazy E on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

If we lose rolle, it is graves fault for that horrible contract. I applaud him for offering him more than 6 mil a year, but don’t have the stupid contract and none of this is possible. People can talk all they want but if we lose Rolle, Dansby, so on and so forth, and don’t replace them with equal talent or better, were in trouble. I understand Cromartie dogged it in the playoff game against the jets and has issues off the field but he is wayyyyy better than mcfadden. More athletic and all, let’s keep it real. I understand Boldin is going to be 30 october 3rd and he has an ”injury prone” tag and he wants big money, I don’t care. That’s a joke to just accept a 3rd rounder. Boldin is a beast and he’s the toughest wr in the league and easily one of the toughest players at any position on the field. He’s injured at times because of his beastly style but he still plays with injuries and at a high level. I believe in Whiz but that’s why I held off on saying the same for graves because of what he does this offseason.

28. By 949cardsfan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

John-

For all those players you just named, there are 10 times as many 3rd round nobodies. Giving up Boldin for anything less than an early 2nd is idiotic! With the mediocre defense we are about to put on the field, we are gonna need every weapon available on offense to keep up.
    Darren why not keep Q, and if he plays at a pro bowl level this year, you just franchise him next year?>

29. By Cory on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Sorry to go off-topic for a second. But, with Delhomme released, do you think we are gonna see the Cards grab him as the vet QB that they say they are looking for?

30. By James Sancto (the English Cardinal) on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Breaking news: Darren Urban has been released by the Arizona Cardinals.

Only joking!!!!!!

Darren you are one of the very few great Cardinals that will be with us next season; at least I hope.

We seem to be having a complete roster overhaul (slightly melodramatic) just when we were becoming a ‘good team’ in the American media’s eyes, as depicted by ‘The media’s perception of the Cardinals’ piece. I just hope whomever we lose is replaced by similar standard players or younger players with the potential to be better.

Glad to still have you Darren.

31. By Derek on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Thank you for updating the situation. Now for my question.

Do the Cards have any interst in signing now-available Jake Delhomme? I know he had a crappy year but with the 49ers looking at Carr, wouldn’t this be a worthy move?

32. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

949 –

Possible. Although I don’t see him being franchised. Part of the problem is this drama has gone on for two years now. I’m not sure either side wants to keep living it.

33. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Cory –

Possible. I am working on a QB blog post that got delayed when the Q stuff starting bubbling.

34. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

James –

Appreciate the kind words. I apologize to all the fans that I cannot score touchdowns or sack the quarterback.

I don’t know if it will be a roster overhaul. Until Rolle and/or Dansby sign elsewhere, I’m not counting the Cards out. Warner’s time was coming too. And you can argue Boldin’s destiny was set the day he did his verbal scorched earth policy the first day of training camp 2008. I’ve been around the league a long time. As Bertrand Berry always said, the only constant in the NFL is change.

35. By Jesus on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Hey, Cards fans Boldin has no plans in staying in Az.
    we gain nothing by keeping him one more year and get nothing in return. yeah great player love what he has done for our birds but he is going to go anyway.

36. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Derek –

Possible.

37. By Steve W on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

I’ve loved Anquan’s play for a long time, and he is not only a solid performer, but a great leader and inspiration for the Cards.

That said, I think this is the right move. We need to get something for Q before he leaves town with nothing to show for him. There’s too much bad blood between him and management and, quite honestly, if a player doesn’t want to play for you, it’s probably a good idea to part ways. And I wouldn’t say a third round pick is nothing, as I’m pretty sure there have been some quality players coming out of that round. Sure it’s a bit of a crapshoot, but in the past few years the Cards have been very savvy with their picks, no matter the round. Not to mention the fact that there might be a couple teams very interested from the sounds of it, and maybe we’ll get a better than expected bid, should the trade come to pass.

In any case, if Q goes elsewhere, I wish him good luck and a great many seasons with his new team. I’ll be cheering for him whenever I see him on T.V., unless he’s up against the Cards, of course.

38. By Phil B on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Soooo many experts and so few NFL GM jobs. Why don’t we all just sit back, relax and let things play out. Whiz and Graves know what they are doing. It will all work out.

39. By Logan Cooper on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

The cardinals have 2 options with Boldin:

1. Trade him for a third rounder or anything else.
    2. Keep him one more year and get nothing because Boldin WILL NOT be re-signing with the cardinals. By his own admission.

In that year we could be developing an extra 3rd rounder.

What option seems logical to all of you?

40. By k. on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

everyone seems so eager to hit the PaNIc bUTtOn – relax.

i agree boldin for a 2 would be good but if a 3 is there and that’s all then i think az should take it.

carr is already getting interest like i said darren – i hope the cards can nab him as i think he’d be the best fit out of all the qb’s i’ve heard mentioned. please no jake delhomme!

c’mon cards sign rolle dansby and/or ware back!

41. By Eazy E on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Delhomme??? He sucks! Remember we were the team that sent him in his tailspin. Carr??? No Wayyyy!!! He probably still feels those sacks he took in houston. I’d much rather take Derek Anderson over anybody available at qb. When he had Braylon and Kellen Winslow Jr., He played at a pro bowl level, I’d love him as leinart’s backup/competition. If leinart falters or gets injured, i have confidence he can get it done. The browns will cut him and the cards should pick him right up.

42. By k. on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

@ EZ E

i’ve watched derek anderson play since ’07 – every game as my girl is a browns fan – & he most certainly isn’t an impressive qb. his decision making is horrid. he never seems to get past his 2nd read before he throws which usually is forced into traffic. sorry i can’t agree but that’s why we have unique personalities and opinions.

43. By 949cardsfan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

In the past you’ve written things like, “what would A-Dub think if so and so made more money than him” or “how would Dock feel if so and so made that much money” Now you say “Boldin doesnt want to continue the drama of playing without a longterm contract” Does management really have to take these millionaire-primadonnas feelings into the negotiation room, to this extent? Boldin will take his millions and play his heart out like he always has. The GM should not be doing first, worring about the players feelings, the best for the team should always come first!

44. By Adam on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Why not bring in Delhomme for the vet QB backup position? We all know he loves throwing the ball to Cardinals! Ha… Doubt he will readily accept a 2nd string role.

I thought I understood the Boldin situation, and why the Cardinals would be hard pressed to get much more than a 3rd round pick… Until ESPN reported the Seahawks are looking to sign Brandon Marshall. And if they did that they would owe Denver the 6th overall pick in the draft this year!! Quite a price to pay when you compare that to the supposed going rate for Q.

By the way, Darren…. love your sense of humor. It is pretty impressive how you manage all these GMs on your blog responses.

45. By Logan Cooper on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Adam Schefter
    Done deal: Arizona trades WR Anquan Boldin and a 2010 fifth-round pick to Baltimore for Ravens 2010 third- and fourth-round picks.

46. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

949 –

First, Q has apparently been traded. Second, this is a human business. I agree they have to do what is best for the team, but a grumpy player isn’t always best for the team either.

47. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Adam –

I love Q, but as I have said, the way teams view him is not the same way fans view him.

48. By Ruben R on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

q to baltimore for 3rd and a 4th and giving a 5th round is that enough for q darren

49. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Ruben –

Well, he’s traded. It’s all moot now.

50. By ryry on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

we got a 3rd and 4th for boldin and our 5th

51. By BigRedFan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Bolding is an awesome player – but

this scenario has been going on for two years now. I don’t think there is enough good faith from either side for him to stay. For two years it has been a matter of when, and when seems to be . . . . .now.

Breaston and Doucet will fill the hole. Beanie Wells is now a veteran with playoof experience. . . There are guys in the D who will step it up. We may win THREE games next year, Darren!

52. By MoJo on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Q has just been traded to Ravens for a 3rd & 4th and AZ will give up its, usually, lucky 5th round to the ravens.

53. By 949cardsfan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Logan and everyone else,

You are forgetting the option of franchising Boldin after this year. He could be ours this year and at least two more years under the franchise tag. The Cards control his destiny for as long as they want. If hes playing at a top five WR level you keep him. You dont say, oh well hes gonna leave anyway. Thats not true. Thats why there’s a franchise tag. Again Q for a 3rd ronder is a joke, a Baltimore 3 would be basically a 4th rnd pick, (25th overall)

54. By darrenurban on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

949 –

Look around the league. Was Boldin really playing like one of the top five receivers in the game?

55. By 949cardsfan on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

Diregard, Im late, guess hes already gone. Later Q, its been fun.

56. By Logan Cooper on Mar 5, 2010 | Reply

949 cards-fan
    Well to do that to Boldin would be a true stab to the back.
    He is 30 this year and say we franchised him the year after that means he would be 33 and too old for a long term deal leaving this great player up shit creek without a paddle.
    Or another scenario would be if the NFL has a lockout from no collective bargaining agreement. That is one more year and he would 34.

If you look at it this way the (which i think the cards did) they did him a huge favor and I think respected him enough to go this route.