• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

More Ravens than Cards in Tempe

Posted by Darren Urban on March 6, 2010 – 2:25 pm

Anquan Boldin’s farewell appearance at the Cardinals’ facility was today (going on now, in fact) at Kurt Warner’s annual charity flag football tournament. There is a bit of irony in the fact that, after Friday’s trade, there are actually more active Ravens playing in the tourney (Boldin, tight end Todd Heap and quarterback Joe Flacco, pictured below) than Cardinals (Larry Fitzgerald and Sean Morey, although the recently retired Warner and quarterbacks coach Chris Miller are also out there).

Boldin talked for a while about leaving Arizona. He said it was “bittersweet.” He said he had mixed emotions. And he said change was good.

“Change is necessary for everybody in life,” Boldin said. “In order for you to grow, there has to be change even when sometimes it’s not wanted.”

He chuckled the Anquan chuckle — that one he always gave you that meant he wasn’t going to say what he really wanted to say — when I asked him if he and the team had a good enough relationship that perhaps some day, if the team happened to invite him into their Ring of Honor, he would accept. “Ring of Honor?” Boldin asked with a smile, before turning serious again. “At this point, I’m not even thinking about (that far in the future). The only thing I am considering is that I have to make a move to back East.”

I suppose, sometimes, change is necessary.

Tags: , , , ,

30 Responses to “More Ravens than Cards in Tempe”

1. By slapdog on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I wish we peons had the luxury of shopping around for another job that paid us 8 million bucks a year for playing 16 football games instead of maybe showing a little appreciation for the measley 6 million bucks we are getting paid now at a job where the ownership believed in us and helped us develop when we weren’t worth a dime at our job. Is there any loyalty anywhere out there anymore,…other than to ourselves?,…..disgustingly yours,…slapdog

2. By MoJo on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Don’t you think that it is time to make a push for Sharper and Porter. Especially Sharper because he would allow us to developed young talent in the position and not rush some new face in there and get them burned.

3. By Ed on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Anquan is a better guy than he’s made out to be in the media. Sure he wanted more dough, sure he said what he thought, but Mr. Boldin gave Card fans a lot of great highlights and although I think Early and Steve will pick up a lot of the slack, Anquan will be missed. As an aside, I have to think that if Kurt stayed then the Card management might have kept AB.

4. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

MoJo –

Sharper is a guy who, I think, may have had a career year in a special circumstance. I’d look at him, sure, but he is older. That’s always buyer beware. Same with Porter, actually.

5. By Ruben R on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

darren,
    do you know if that cardinal are trying to sign a offensive lineman or are they tryin to bring back gandy?or are they tryin to fill that hole with a draft pick or do they think that have a replacement on this roster already(johnson,keiths)

6. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Ruben –

They want Gandy back but he won’t get $5 million. He’s going to take a while to sort his options. Otherwise, I think Keith or Johnson is the logical guy to get into the lineup.

7. By Ruben R on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

KURT RETIRING MADE THIS TRADE ALOT EASIER FOR ME TO TAKE BECAUSE I NOW THINK THEY ARE GOING TO BECOME A OFFENSIVE TEAM MORE TO WHIZ LIKING. LIKE WHEN HE WAS A OC WITH THAT STEELERS RUN FIRST OFFENSE

8. By Edgar Allan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I think the Cards offense will have a new look this fall. More run oriented with Fitz as the unchallenged big man on campus.

9. By jpop237 on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren, any chance the Cards use one of their 3rd rounders for Oakland’s Kirk Morrsion? He’s not ‘Los, but the guy is a tackling machine and we need that skillset. Also hoping the Cards can lure another former Steeler…Ryan Clark would look good filling in void left by Rolle. And what will they do with all the $$$ they’re saving due to the retirement, trade, and FA departures? Extension for Nine-O???

10. By dylan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I want a good news blog lol

11. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Jpop –

Many keep asking about Morrison. I suppose they might, but I still wonder if they want to give up a third rounder and pay a big FA contract to pry him away.

As for the rest of the money, I want to see how free agency plays out.

12. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Dylan –

Trust me, if I get good news, I’m posting it ASAP.

13. By Joe-B on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I’d go for O. J. Atogwe. The Rams barley want anything for him even though he is a good Safety.

And it would be great to see Boldin in the Ring of Honor.

14. By Ruben R on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

i heard that larry foote decision was between that cardinals and that over spending redskins well i guess we loss foote before havin him lol man im ready to talk about that draft at least i know those guys arent goin anywhere. darren what u think that cardinals are doin with that first round pick OL or a pass rusher

15. By Ruben R on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

hey DYLAN
    i got good news for you
    you could save 15% on your car insure
    with just a phone call. lol dats that only good news man.

16. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Ruben –

Depends who is left on the board. Still could be ILB too.

17. By dylan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I think the cards should go after aaron kampmann or is he asking for too much money

18. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Dylan –

Kampman doesn’t fit a 3-4 defense.

19. By Ron on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, Stupid question but do you feel with Q leaving the Cards may draft a wideout or do you think O.J. (Jones)is there insurance policy if we get any injuries to our other wideouts

20. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Ron –

I think they will look in the draft if there is someone they like. But they don’t need to take one, which is always nice.

21. By TucsonTim on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

The Q trade is good for everyone. It’s a real win win. We love Q here in AZ because he’s a tuff warrior. He’s also underpaid. That was his previous agent’s fault, not ours. Now he is going to get paid some big money and we are going to move on with the talent that we have who have shown they can win without Q.

Let’s not shed any tears and hope for an avian Super Bowl reunion in 2011

22. By Darthcard on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

The cards broke my heart again. I am happy for Q. The last time I had such an empty feeling was after the cards lost the superbowl. Q cared point blank. I will not give up on my guys Larry,dockett,campbell,drc,beanie,hightower,Wilson,hayes and yes Matt although I think he needs to be challenged. Sadly I will admit I’m not excited about next year. If there’s a lockout I’ll never watch the NFL again next year.

23. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

It’s Mr. annoying again. I have a couple of questions for you. First of all, I am familiar with the name, but I really have never followed the Jets that closely. Who exactly is Rhoades, and is he a comparable substutution for Antrelle Rolle? Will he fit the bill, and do you think that the new environment will help? I went on line, and it says that he fell out of favor with Rex Ryan. Are we bringing in a trouble maker? That is the last thing we need!!

24. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darth –

Never is a long, long time. For a guy who likes posting on blogs and message boards, methinks you love it a bit too much to ever go to that extreme of giving up on the game.

That said, on a personal level I pray there is no work stoppage. The family needs to eat.

25. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Lone –

Rhodes was really looking good from 2006-08. He was thought to be a perfect piece when Rex Ryan showed up but he wasn’t. Bottom line, he’s similar in age to Rolle and, since he has played better safety longer, you can argue he is better. We will see. I don’t think he is a troublemaker. Sometimes, long-time players just don’t fit in with a new coach. I really like the move.

26. By JP on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I like the Rhodes move. I think we will be just fine. Things are going to really shake up the next couple of months and I can’t wait to see what the Cards next move will be.. Darren, do you have any ideas?? Do you think Dockett will get his contract?? U think the Cards will pick up Delhomme and save a draft pick???

27. By Dan on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Rhodes is an upgrade over Rolle at a much better price…..good move.

28. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

JP –

Don’t know on Darnell. They won’t trade for a QB; they will get an FA, whether Delhomme or someone else.

29. By anqnbldnfn81 on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

this has to be the stupidest move rod graves has ever pull off he needs to be fired and not have his contract extended how to you trade away the cardinals all time leading reciever how does that make any sense i say fire rod graves and anyone that had anything to do with this trade and it’s not just the boldin trade but the release of rolle and dansby what sense does that make

30. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

anqnbldnfn81 –

Unfortunately, your name lends itself to the idea you are emotionally irrational when looking at the trade.