• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Some good news: Rhodes coming to Arizona

Posted by Darren Urban on March 6, 2010 – 5:11 pm

Everyone looking for good news has this: The Cards are getting Kerry Rhodes from the Jets in a trade to replace Antrel Rolle. ESPN is reporting it, and I have heard similar things — the Cards will give up a fourth-round pick in 2010 and a seventh-rounder in 2011. That was a quick and (relatively) painless quick turnaround after losing Rolle last night when he signed with the Giants. I’ll have a full story in a bit, hopefully. The Cards still haven’t officially announced anything.

Tags: ,

139 Responses to “Some good news: Rhodes coming to Arizona”

1. By Art on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

So far the Cards have proven one thing, we gave them a stadium, and they did not step up as promissed. Get rid of Adams, Mc Fadden, get some secondary players.

2. By Botner on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

This is awesome. We used one of the 4th round picks from the Ravens to get this done…so essentially, we traded Boldin and a 5th (and a 7th next year) for a 3rd rounder and Rhodes. That sounds SO much better than the initial deal yesterday. Well played Graves and Whiz!

The sky isn’t falling after all!

3. By Joe-B on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

That will help out.

The guy was on the best Defense in the NFL last year, maybe he can help teach the rest of the Defense some of what Rex Ryan taught him.

4. By Chocks21 on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I’m from NY and watch him play I like the move and he’s a good compliment to adub.
    Darren- I know that people inside of the jets staff disliked his style do you have an idea what his issue is and why they let him go for so cheap?

5. By Luis on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren thanks for keeping us informed.

6. By dylan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Thats a decent fit

7. By alex u on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

i like it

8. By vivek on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Looks like it’s a done deal ! Wikipedia has the change ! How would you rate him v/s Rolle ? Kerry is at least taller, we won’t get mauled by the big tall tight-ends :D

9. By Keith on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

This is good news! Rhodes may not be as gifted as Rolle but he is a solid FS. This does take away some of the sting from yesterday! In Whiz and Graves I trust.

10. By Andrew on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Awesome

11. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Art –

Really? Two straight playoff appearances and a trip to the Super Bowl don’t count?

12. By dylan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

art are you serious didn step up they went to the superbowl? or was that just one long dream i had?

13. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Chocks –

Sometimes when a new staff comes in, players don’t mesh even if they are talented. From what I have seen, he has outside interests that coaches thought might hurt his football focus. I am sure the Cards vetted him before the trade.

14. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Vivek –

Haven’t seen him enough, but he did play at a Pro Bowl-level a couple years. I like the move.

15. By 949cardsfan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

OK, now thats more like it. Here comes that plan B I was talking about in previous blog. I knew the Whiz and Graves had a plan of action. I dont know all that much about Rhodes, but he was part of the best Defense in foot ball last year, he’ll bring something to the Cards. Good job boys.

16. By Mack on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

He was benched last year for not “trying” right? Hopefully Wilson will inspire him.

Also any news on Foote?

17. By Botner on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

He has better stats overall than Rolle (same # of seasons) in every category but TDs. This is a great deal.

18. By Tyler Comella on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

With the cardinlas getting the saftey issue out of the way. What is the progress with larry foote has he came to arizona to visit, and if so are the talks going well?

19. By Mike on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Can you get us any contract information. I know he is due a 2 mil roster bonus on the 12th of March for next year, but where does that leave them after 2010? Are they in the process of working out a contract extension maybe? Will he be an RFA or a UFA (assuming no lock out)? Any info you have would be great.

20. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Mack, Tyler –

Foote isn’t due for a visit until next week. Not sure on the Rhodes deal, but he started 17 of 19 games.

21. By Cards Fan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Here is to hoping Kerry Rhodes is better than Terrance Holt

22. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Mike –

Not sure on the roster bonus, but he signed a 5-yr extension in 2008.

23. By Chocks21 on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I think he cancels out rolle’s departure if not he is an upgrade because of the money situation with rolle. The only thing we wont see is from his is spectacular moves on int returns but he is still a better player overall.
    Now we need a pass rusher… joey porter Brandon graham Jerry Hughes Kindle
    ILB… foote kirk morrison brandon spikes
    TE andrew quarless a sleeper te watch out or Greshem round 1
    and o line depth and training and greg toler to step up
    If these things happen i like our chances at the division title next yr

24. By Tim johnson on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

With all of these guys gone the cardinals should have some money to spend. Is there anyway the cardinals try to re do Docketts contract. The man is pretty upset and I think that he is going to dominate this year. Would it be a smart thing to re do Docetts contract or not. I also read that he would take a pay cut to bring in a a good free agent is this true?

25. By BigRedFan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Art -

Are so serious? Really? I am a St. Louis native, and as such have every right to say the team is cheap. Not hearing that from me, though.

26. By Ron on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I think I like this signing but we are still thin in position. Any news on wether Ware signed anywhere or if he is coming back?

27. By Roger on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

His outside interest is the Rhodes Foundation which he established to help kids in impoverished neighborhoods get into College.

Supposedly he got into a shouting match with his CB coach (Dennis Thurman) don’t know what the subject was but maybe about his outside interests.

28. By Kent on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Rhodes and Wilson…Two of the NFL’s top 5 safeties on the same team…I love this move…

When it breaks down we traded Q a 5th round pick and a 2011 7th rounder for Kerry Rhodes and a 3rd round pick.

29. By KC on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Art says “So far the Cards have proven one thing, we gave them a stadium, and they did not step up as promissed”

Wow, 2 straight division titles, 3 home playoff wins and a Super Bowl appearance–not to mention they haven’t had a losing season since Whisenhunt showed up…explain to me how that is not stepping up. There is no way you’ve followed this team very long if you don’t see that as progress.

30. By Barry on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Wasn’t Rhodes the guy that knocked Q out when we went up to NY last yr?

31. By Ruben R on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

i like that move filling holes from yesterday now if we can get foote to fill for karlos i bet that production would be almost that same as karlos and rolle will do for their new teams

32. By Tony on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I think this is a great move,if he can cover better than Rolle it can free up Adub to play closer to the line where his strength is

33. By Cole on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

D.U.

If my memory is correct — I believe he was reinserted in the starting lineup before (and during) the playoffs, and played strong. Whatever the benching was for, it seemed to snap him back into action.

I realize Antrelle is a talent, but we’re (me included, after I was sure the sky was falling yesterday) acting like he was Ronnie Lott …

What about a pass rusher — anything on that end? Really could use someone oppo Calais to get consistent pressure.

34. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Tim –

Dockett did tweet about the pay cut, but the man thinks he is woefully underpaid as it is — he’s not taking a cut, and he’s not going to lower his demands for his extension either.

35. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Ron –

They still want Ware. We’ll see how it plays out.

36. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Barry –

Rhodes was the guy behind him, I think. It was Eric Smith who delivered the blow.

37. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Cole –

We’ll see. I think nose tackle is more pressing than end.

38. By dimito sesma on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Thank you Jesus(of Nazareth, not the other dude(s) on here). Good to see how Cardinals management responds to losing personnel. Feeling much better now.

39. By BIGLIZARD on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I’m sorry for all of you who liked Rolle, but he was an average player – at best. How many big plays did he give up and how many times was he out of place, resulting in the loss of a touchdown? This kid will be a better player for less money.

40. By Secret on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Wow this is a great move. I see why people say, “In whiz we trust”

41. By Ruben R on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

DARREN
    REALLY NOSE TACKLE MORE PRESSING NEED THAN END I TAUGHT THEY WERE REALLY HIGH ON ALAN BRANCH FOR NEXT YEAR AND THERES NOBODY AT END RIGHT NOW BESIDE CODY AND WILL

42. By Mack on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I think Dansby is going to be a bust. He has basically played a contract year the last three years. Look at some of the players that get big contracts after a good year. Jacobs, and Hansworth just to name a few. (Hansworth might have helped Orakpo get better numbers)

43. By TucsonTim on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Art -

sometimes when I’ve had a little too much I get a little testy on this blog, but come on man, the Cards went to the freakin Super Bowl, or did you just wake up from a drug induced coma after a decade.

44. By Nathan H on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Did you ever look into NT Jamal Williams Darren? If so have you heard any rumors of the Cardinals pursuing him?

45. By Kevin on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Art? You must not be a longtime fan? You are wrong about the Cards post stadium! They have done nothing but put a high quality football team with high quality coaches on the field! We are the NFC West Champions for the last 2 years and went to the superbowl. You really think you are right? If you do go root for the whiners you’ll fit in better! Nice job Graves and Co. And thanks Darren you kept me calm for the las 24 hours! GO CARDS!

46. By Paul on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Nice comeback Front Office.

47. By Tim johnson on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

The cardinals dont want to lose Darnell after this year and he does deserve a new contract is that one of the main goals. He is another great defence of player and we dont want to lse him so why not try to re do his deal right now.

48. By Logan Cooper on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Can the people that were cursing the cards yesterday please be removed from ever posting again?

This was a pleasant surprise and i actually like rhodes more than ryan clark.

Such a better uograde at pass defense than rolle.
    (not in playmaking though)

Now if we bring in foote, porter, and yes lito sheppard it will blow my mind.

49. By Ron on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, On a side note have you heard anything about any of the supposed FA QB’s we are supposedly interested in. What would be a better situation for the team CARR,ANDERSON, or DELHOMME? Or is there someone im missing that you know about?

50. By chem dawg on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

ART, ART, ART.
    5-11 TO 8-8……8-8 TO 9-7 & A SUPER BOWL, 9-7 TO 10-6 & PLAYOFFS. THEM STEPS LOOK LIKE THEY GOING UPWARD TO ME MAN !! LOL.

51. By christian on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

hopefully nrhodes will be able to step up.

darren any chance anquan gonna be public to say goodbyes? or thats it he jus gone. man my fa players gone

52. By pacardfan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Wow, did not see that one coming! I like though! Rhodes is way better than what I saw with them looking at Ryan Clark and the idea of going after Sharper was a long shot as well. This was a good move. Bad for the Jets. Reeves, Rhodes, and Crom….damn good trio., Now Wilson and Rhodes with DRC, one step away from a 4-way strong 2ndery! Those who wounder about Rhodes issues with the Jets, those were with the Jets. Whiz and the boys will make Rhodes fit in well. Now for LB, DL, and a back-up QB! THis is great news exp.. after the lost of three fan favs. yesterday! Darren, thanks for the updates!

53. By frankie on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

darren-

it looks like we might replace both players before the draft do you know if there looking to draft a new tight end to replace a huge wepon like boldin … I hope so because leinhart could use another target to dump the ball off to …

54. By Potter on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

5 year/ 33.5 million with 20 million guaranteed. That is Kerry Rhodes Contract. I just hope it isnt loaded in the back end.

This certainly softens the blow of losing Antrel Rolle. Saved 3.5 million and 1 year of pay on his contract. He is an incredible safety and a spectacular upgrade to replace rolle. He may not have the ability that Rolle had to make something happen after an interception but solid tackling and pass coverage outweighs defensive TDs in my book.

Welcome to Az Kerry.

55. By 1st Time Cards' Fan on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I heard on the NFL Network that the Cards’ DB Coach Henderson was with the Jets when Rhodes was at his best. Was this comfort level the reason why they chose him over the other FS options ? Do you think Graves & Whiz knew they would get him for a 4th rd pick & that’s why they moved quickly to trade Boldin ?

56. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Ruben –

Branch I think has shown that, if he is anything, he is an end. He still isn’t exactly what they want out of a second-round pick. Trust me, they need OLB too.

57. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Nathan –

Williams makes sense if he is cheaper. We will see.

58. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Logan –

This is an open forum. As long as it’s clean, all opinions are welcome. I’ll keep preaching the rational side of things.

59. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Ron –

If news would just stop happening I was going to blog on the QBs. Maybe Monday (I want to post a final Q blog tomorrow … again, if we could just avoid news for a day).

60. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Christian –

Check the Q blog tomorrow. I will have Q’s quote about the fans always supporting him.

61. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Frankie –

The idea is to get to the draft without any glaring needs, allowing the Cards to draft BPA every round.

62. By darrenurban on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

1st time –

I think all of that could have had a hand in it. Plus Rhodes has played at a high level most of his career, better than some of the FA options (Gibril Wilson, Ryan Clark, etc.).

63. By Aaron on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I couldn’t care less that he wants to be an actor after his NFL career…at least he’s thinking about what he wants to do with his life long-term. Can he stay focused and not cause issues with the coaching staff, like he was unable to do for most of last season? Time will tell…he finished strong after having a meeting with their d-backs coach, so hopefully he grew up a little from that.

From an overall perspective, if he can stay focused, I think he is very much an upgrade over Rolle. I’ve been one of the biggest downers on Rolle since he was drafted, but I do give him credit that he improved a lot this last year…yet was still an over-rated safety (and even more so after the contract NY gave him). He is amazing with the ball in his hands, but he is one of the worst tacklers I’ve ever watched. Every 20 attempts he’ll blow someone up, and then other times he’s trying to tackle them by their shoelaces, never seen someone get jumped over that many times. Good riddance…I’ll take consistency over half a dozen great plays a season.

64. By Steve on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

I’m elated by this move!!

Anyone who doesn’t think Whiz and Graves are a great tandem need to stop watching football.

Still a lot of holes on D, but we got an equal FS or slightly weaker one without blowing up the bank.

There are a lot of solid LBs out there that can fill in the remaining roster spots and then upgrade with young prospects via the draft.

Well done Cards!!

65. By Cardianl RED on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Hey Darren what up. With that one move alone really has erased everything i think. Better player at a better deal for i think a bargain. But my question is do we have any intentions of going for Kirk Morrison from the raiders because i think that would the exact same situation (w/ rhodes vs rolle) I think morrison is better than los and we can get him at better money or even pay him. What do you think cause i know your a smart guy do you think we’ll go after him or do you think we even should?.

66. By AZ SPORT FAN on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Kerry will be an asset. Im feeling good again. Nice catch Coach Whis!

67. By mike from ohio on Mar 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Just heard from 9-0 cousin in BAL that the card are working on deal right NOW with Darnell about a contract to make him top 3 D-lineman about a FIVE year deal….this is going 2 be their BIG FREE Ain GENT SIGNING also with RE-DOING WHIZ contract and Kerry Rhode makes it A GRWAT OFF-SEASON THEY ANSWERED THE OFFSEASON Q,S IN DAY BASICALY TAKE THAT…..WE CAN KNOW HAKE MLB

68. By CARDSFAN1178124 on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

JUST RELAX ART. ITS THE SECOND DAY OF FREE AGENCY. I’M SURE THAT THE POWERS AT BE REALIZE A CORNERBACK UPGRADE IS NECESSARY BUT MCFADDEN ISN’T GOING ANYWHERE. LEINART!

69. By NM Cards Fan on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

DU
    I mentioned it on another post , Whiz would upgrade the holes in the vacated D positions, , think l Rhodes will succeed as a Cardinal , and he does wear #25. do you think this a preview of things to come , will we see McCan’tcover be traded or released

Great move Whiz !!!! can;t wait to see whats next ,
    Get ready big Mr. #90 , how do like your 1st new teammate kinda cool ha!!!!!!!!! Whiz , cool to see you along with all the rest working hard to change for the better , I remember the days at Sun Devil Stadium ,
    did get a chance to go there this last season, to watch the Sun Devils
    # 90 hope you get your contract quik , its cool our new team face is a big guy!
    Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!

70. By Mike"thehelmet"Florio on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Spectacular upgrade at safety. I heard Kent Somers say that had Rogers connected with Jennings Rolle would nothave got the money. It’s true. Rolle is nowhere near elite. The start of last year Rhodes was in the top 5 safeties in the game (rod woodson).
    The thing i most like about this is the Donie Henderson link. KR played his best football under him and he was obviously consulted before signing him. Now Theres 2 men with points to prove in Glendale.
    Brilliant move

71. By k. on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

@ Potter

The Cardinals will pay him a $2 million roster bonus next week, but his salaries of $2.78 million (2010), $2.425 million, $3.5 million and $4.5 million are reasonable, compared to Rolle’s five-year, $37 million contract.

i found that in an arizona daily star article so i thought i’d share. anyway, i like this move.

72. By TucsonTim on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Just 2 days ago the sky was falling and season ticket holders were heading for the exits. We really need some inside info Darren since you obviously can not believe anything any NFL team says publicly, and I fully understand that.

Essentially we traded Boldin to the Ravens for Rhodes, whose stats are pretty similar to Rolles despite playing fewer games and playing in a tougher division.

Although Rhodes doesn’t come cheap, we have him for 4 years.

Clearly this didn’t happen over night Friday. I think our front office deserves some kudos. Can’t wait to see what’s next.

73. By Patrick on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Ladies, Gentlemen: no disrepsect to ARolle, but me thinks we just got better at FS. My expectation is we resign Ware, bada bing. I’m impressed how fast we struck. WOW. Arguably a better starting FS @ half the price, with a chip on his shoulder. Geez i love the Cards.

74. By k. on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

i am glad the site has been updated – roster – and would like to thank whomever is responsible.

75. By TucsonTim on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

For all of you Cards fans who thought the sky was falling, here are a couple typical NY Giants fans blog comments:

“he g-men paid way too much for antrel rolle………..where is the truth? he was singing an-trel, an-trel, an-trel…yesterday j-r must have seen his posts…we overpaid for that guy, we are not talking about ed reed or troy polomalu here…yes it is an upgrade but at what cost.”

“Agree 100%. Now we’ve got a free safety making around $7.5m per year. This has never been a position that produces for us, and it’s not like Rolle is the best free safety that ever lived. Adrian Wilson may be worth this kind of money. How do you think Osi will respond to this? Will he start whining that he doesn’t like his contract?”

In keeping with what I said about not believing anything a team says publically, I thought you might find this quote from Friday’s NY paper amusing, “Tannenbaum (Jets GM) said S Kerry Rhodes will receive his $2 million roster bonus on Friday and be on the team next season “unless something changes,” Tannenbaum said”

76. By george on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

hi to all the cards fan this is me g from south n.j. ive been a red birds fan all my life 4 ever i bleed cards red! im one guy who has loved the past 2 years but i remember all the bad years an theres been a lot,so any way some thoughts on what we should do 1st off i trust are big 2 the big r an coach wiz so ill keep up the faith with them any way we need defence an a qb an a wr so lets go with the draft an get a young qb maybe tim t from fla an lets ink a vet qb maybe jak d who just got let go by the panthers or jeff garcea or even d colpepper the former vik or how bout we kill 2 birds with 1 stone trade denver mattie l an are 1st pick an a pick next year for mr qb ortain an there wr you know who an there we go were div champs again

77. By LUKE on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

art-what?is this fella serious?two nfc west titles ,an nfc championship and a superbowl appearance?hello!!!!i have lived through some dismal times as a cards fan and the last couple years has been a blessing!!!

78. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Cardinal RED –

After giving up a pick for Rhodes I am not sure the Cards will surrender another for Morrison, but you never know.

79. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

NM Cards –

We will see on Rhodes’ number. I don’t see the Cards cutting McFadden unless they do something unexpected in FA. You can’t be sure on Toler yet.

80. By alex u on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Leigh Bodden is so good

81. By John on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Great move by the Cards. I liked Atogwe and Ryan Clark was a nice option. But for both, it would have cost us. Rhodes came at a reasonable price and brings the same talent as the others.

I’m not thrilled about Foote, but he will fill a gap. I see the cards drafting an ILB in first 3 rounds.
    Foote may be the next to sign.

But I agree that NT is our next biggest need in FA. I agree with Darren that Branch is clearly a End. I think he is solid there backing up dockett and Campbell. Jamal Williams, Maake Kemoeato, or bring back B-Rob is the next signing I want. Health will be an issue for the first two.

As for passrush, Porter is proven, and would be nice to bring him in.But The Cards will draft a OLB like Graham, Ricky Sapp,Jerry Hughes or Koa Misi. They have young OLBs in Brown and Davis.

Porter , like Foote, would give them proven players till rookies develop. They are not long term answers but good options.

Here is a question to all and you too Darren. How do you feel about giving up 2 #1s for Dumervil? If passrush is the greatest need and Whiz doesnt seem to trust rookies right away, Isnt it more logical to get the best passrusher in the game? I think too many good rookies this year, but just a thought.

82. By Josh on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Some of you quote un-quote fans dissapoint me. Yeah it’s ok to be upset about losing some of our best players but you got to stand by your team. Cutting Mcfadden and Adams would be a bad move, they R solid corners who had a bad year, they will bounce back and Toler will be a Pro-Bowl Player sooner than you think, just wait see. Leinart will prove all the skeptics wrong this season, sure we may have took a few steps back in losing some talent, but come on have any of you seen Rhodes play? He’s a Beast, just like Wilson, you’ll see. Now we just need some L-backers.

83. By Josh on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

COME-ON Karlos Dansby was a good player,(Not Great) he was NOT at all a good pass rusher, he was good at stoping the run, he can be replaced, its time for Ali Highsmith, Will Davis , Cody Brown to step there game up, Especially Highsmith, he was a beast in College who was a 1st or 2nd round pick untill a bad combine & pro-day caused him to slip and be undrafted.

84. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

John –

Unless it is a young franchise QB like Rivers, I would never give up two No. 1s for any player.

85. By Josh on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Here is what I think the Cardinals will loook like next season.
    QB- Matt Leinart
    RCB- Greg Toler,
    NCB, Bryant Mcfadden
    FS- Kerry Rhodes
    SS- Adrian Wilson
    Special Teams:
    KR- Larod Stephens Howling,
    PR-Steve Breaston-Larod Stephens-Howling (shared duty)
    P- Ben (the Beast) Graham
    K- Neil Rackers
    Spot Duty Players
    Will Davis, Clark Haggans, Reggie Walker, Rashad Johnson, Gabe Watson

This is not taking into consideration any of our draft picks or free agents we hav eyet to pick up, but I myself am feeling pretty good about the team next season. We Will still Own the NFC West.

86. By clssylssy on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Sometimes a player can look good on paper but have other issues that are a laibilty for the team. It seems Mr. Rhodes has trouble with management and understanding his job description which makes me wonder how he is going to be an asset for our team? I hope he’s heard that “We do this together” and recognize he’s the new guy and not the star. I have always taken great pride in the way our players have handled their personal issues with the FO and not taken them on the field, being good role models for our youth. How many fans would tolerate being strung along by an employer who didn’t have the integrity to pay them according to their merit even when other key employees recognized their value and were willing to pay them out of their pocket? The fact that some well established, respected teams were anxious to pay top dollar for our players, who we didn’t deem worthy,says alot for the talent we HAD developed in the past few years. Two years don’t really make us a consistent contender or an established force in the west. I wonder how much the politics off the field played into the departure of the other guys who chose to “retire”. Good luck to all the players that have contribued to what was accomplished and thanks for the memories.

87. By John on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Josh, Love the passion.
    But there is not a proven passrusher on the list.
    We gave up 50 plays of over 20 yards in the air last year, meaning teams had time to throw.

We also dont have a true NT on the list , which is very important in a 3-4 defense.

And one Tackle spot is filled with an unproven player.

But with saying that, I believe the Cards will address those needs and we will win the West again. But I do understand some fans concerns and them wanting everything fixed on day one.

Lets look at that lineup in May. I have a feeling its not the same.

88. By John on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Really Darren, If you were the Jets, would you give up two 1′s for Fitz ? (I know its not really a possibility) But really, would you ?

89. By Derek on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Any more updates on the QB and K position?

90. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

John –

No. Why? Fitz is one of the best in the league. But he is not worth two No. 1 picks. Nor is Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson. That’s just my opinion. Again, you give me a young franchise QB who is proven, yes, I’d do that. But as great as other players are, I believe they all can be dealt with and if you spend your No. 1 choices wisely, that helps your team going forward more.

91. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Derek –

92. By chem dawg on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

yeah DU… cutting b-mcfadden and relying soley on toler would be foolish.

93. By chem dawg on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

right on josh, highsmith blew fools up on special teams. now he has to convert that energy to the defense.

94. By Peter in Canada on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Josh- I like ur post but the linebackers look questionable. Darren, do u think Highsmith and Brown are ready for prime time and Baggs can transition from a CFL lineman to a 3-4 linebacker?

95. By JP on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Do you think the Cards are interested in Delhomme??

96. By Cards Fan on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Two Number one’s…… Hahahahahahahaha…. Sorry just that phrase reminds me of Bryant Johnson and Calvin Pace….. wow… That was a great idea…

97. By MoJo on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

I think we lost Rolle and Boldin because we did not negotiate good rookie deals for Fitz and Rolle. Going forward, we should structure our rookie contracts in a better way to help us in the future. Ken make Grave a better personal manager and that is already being reflected on our roster over the past couple of seasons.

Do you have any idea about DRC rookie contract?

I think if we added NT Jammal Williams, LBs Foote and Porter we will be in better shape for the draft. do not you agree?

98. By John on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Whoops, Dumervil is tendered a 1st and third. So does that change your opinion. Aproven passrusher who played in a 3-4 vs two unproven rookies. OK Dumervil will come at a huge price.

I dont think I do it, but just a thought

99. By ndpenner on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

What is the likelyhood that we’ll resign Rackers? He’s not exactly a terrible kicker, and I kinda just got a dog a little while back that the wife named Rackers. It’d be a shame if I had to explain to people that my dog is named after someone who USED to play for the Cards…lol. (if they already worked something out, I haven’t seen it. Too much hoopla over Rolle lately to find anything else.)

100. By Zack Potter on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

This might be a little random, especially on this blog, but what is going on with Breaston??? Isnt his contract up?? Thanks

101. By alex u on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Could Lito Sheppard be an option now that we got Kerry Rhodes? I know McFadden had a bad year and can bounce back but, i just don’t want to take that chance.

102. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Peter –

Not sure on Highsmith. He lost his spot last year and they turned to Reggie Walker. Brown is a big unknown. He hasn’t played. And Baggs has to prove himself. He’s not young. I caution anyone thinking he’s a savior.

103. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

JP –

Perhaps, but I don’t know for a fact.

104. By brazilian fan on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

darren… please… what do you think about Urban’s releasing? he’s a good receiver, and Whiz praises him as player. do you thik there will be a rain of WR draft picks in arizona? thanks

105. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

MoJo –

DRC has a voidable year in the sixth year (2013). Under the current rules, that would allow the Cards to franchise him if he voids.

106. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

John –

I still wouldn’t do it.

107. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

ndpenner –

Right now, re-signing the kicker is low on the priority list.

108. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Zack –

Breaston was tendered and I am pretty sure he will return, barring something unforeseen.

109. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Alex –

I don’t think Rhodes would have anything to do with looking at Sheppard. I’m not sold they are chasing CBs necessarily.

110. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Brazilian –

Urban wasn’t released. He is a free agent, and there is still a chance he could return.

111. By alex u on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Sheppard played on the same side as Rhodes, just seems like a good option, chemistry is always a good.

112. By C on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

hey george
    if you really are a long time cardinals fan you havent payed much attention. the last thing the cards need is another reciever. breaston had 1007 yards as our 3rd reciever and we saw what doucet can do when healthy, not to mention the best wr in the game in fitz. also lienart is a solid qb and i see him being a pro blower in a couple years. we dont have a big enough need to trade a 1st round so i dont see that happening at all. dont mean to bust your bubble, just saying

113. By Bryan on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Derren,
    Do you know if the Cardinals have any intrest in Joey Porter?

114. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Bryan –

Maybe.

115. By Tyman on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Cards should go out and get Mcnabb now, If they want to get to another SB they will need the fanchise QB. And getting Mcnabb will keep our Wr fitz happy. Lienard is unproven so if we can get mcnabb for a first I think you jump on it, we also should go after joey porter. WE lacked a pass rush in the playoffs and joey is one of the best there for sure. plus he has the kick in the dirt, we have lost berries train, karlos flapping the wings, and rolls back flip. we need the dirt kick for sure!!!

116. By wayne on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Darren, did Dansby really want to be here? I think the money he got was not out of the Cardinals pay-scale, was it between 7.5-8mill a year? I dont know what was guaranteed. Rolle recieved way to much money but think god thats on the Giants. (highest paid safety is a joke). I love the trade with the Jets for Rhodes.
    Thanks, Darren

117. By Dre on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

I like the Kerry Rhodes deal…first of all he comes from a #1ranked pass defense with a #1 pass defense mentality and attitude, you can’t put a price on that. Rolles, who is family but we were ranked 23rd in the pass last year.

And lets not forget our 2nd rd. pick last year (Cody Brown) was out for the entire year after a few preseason games. So this year we are working with (1) 1st rd, (2) 2nd rd (including Cody), (2) 3rd, (1) more 4th rd. (0) 5th, etc…etc.

Plenty to work with….Now, sign Larry Foote. Another #1 minded defensive player.

118. By chem dawg on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

sup darren, do you thing long will make his way to the roster now that boldin iz gone ?

119. By gordo on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

darren
    just saw that fujitia is out in new orleans.. u think he would be a good fit.

120. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

I just read a quick blod on my android. Rumor has it Dockett is urging the organization to pursue Joey Porter. If there is any truth to this rumor, do you think the Cards might consider it? Just curious.

121. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Chem –

I think Long is still with the Chiefs.

122. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Gordo –

He’s out because he signed with the Browns.

123. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Lone –

Maybe.

124. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

At least we didn’t get any older at safety – both Rhodes and Rolle were drafted the same year. Rhodes has 15 INTs in that time and Rolle only 12.

We’ve won w/o Q. Doucett is ready if he can stay healthy (but we’ve dealt with that with Q, so it would be nothing new – just that we need a young WR to groom behind Doucett now).

Getting Foote will be a stop-gap measure and roll model for a lot of young players in the LB corps who are on the team already or will be drafted in April.

Time to move on with a lot less baggage to carry in 2010 than we did in 2009. Having all these roster moves so soon gives the staff the clarity and precious time it will need to build their roster for 2010.

In Whiz we trust. I’m not worried about the losses. 2010 was going to be a “retooling” year as soon as Warner retired, so while I’m not anticipating a deep run in 2010, I am anticipating that the staff will use the year to grow as many young players as possible, see what they are capable of, and then add extra pieces in spring 2011 to make a deep run in 2011.

Sorta takes the pressure off of me personally as a fan for 2010 as the window of opportunity we had in 2008 and 2009 has quickly become much, much smaller in 2010. My expectations won’t be as high in 2010 regarding final standings, but it will be very fun to watch the new talent step into place – mostly because we know how well Whiz and Graves are at selecting young and veteran talent. I can’t wait to see what they all have in stock for us in 2010!

I’ll be expecting a lot more in 2011 from the Cards than I will this year. Now I just have to hope we have football in 2011.

125. By Nick B on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Art,

Really? They don’t spend money? Are you kidding me? I assume you mean since getting the stadium they haven’t spent money. They have spent money, they signed Fitzgerald long term, signed Warner to a two year deal after leading them to the Superbowl with other teams chasing him. They tagged Dansby two years in a row. They give Wilson a long term deal. Just because they spend smart, doesn’t mean they don’t spend. Would you be happy Art if they spent money like the Redskins? Just bought in as many top flight free agents and other free agents as they can and hope they work out. I like how Graves and Whiz look at a free agent, figure out where/how he will fit into a roll or the team, then try to sign him. To me, thats smart football, smart business. I noticed you said something about Adams, I think he is a hard worker, always gives 100%, and does really well at special teams. I do agree about McFadden, he has had some problems in coverage, however to me a secondary is only as good as the D Line is playing. Without a pass rush, the seconday will give up plays. Look at Revis with the Jets, he does really well, and what happens infront of him? They get to the QB. I believe McFadden will be the nickel corner next year, and DRC and Toler will be the starters next year. I like the idea of those three playing together. That also depends on the draft too. I believe the Cardinals need to draft young DL/DE/LBs to help increase the pass rush.

-Nick

126. By Keith on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Darren.

Have you heard what the talk is on Shawn Merriman? I know some think he will never be a star player again ever since his roid suspension. However some think his down year was more due to his knee not being fully recovered yet. Seems like he may be a little bit of a gamble but hes only 25 i believe, and maybey this coming year his knee is fully recovered? Might be able to get him at a bargain price due to the down year last year. Anyways, i just wondered if you have heard any rumblings on what the inside the NFL world thinks about him.

127. By jetfan on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

rhodes is a good pick up for u but jason taylor wont come here bc him nd kerry dont like eachother

128. By Keith on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Darren, as far as my last post goes, i just realized merriman is a restricted free agent, so the odds of the Cards looking at him is likely very diminished. I thought he was unrestricted.

129. By k. on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

the cards will win nfc west in 2010!

130. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Keith –

Merriman wsa tendered as an RFA, and I think at a 1st and 3rd level. He isn’t going anywhere.

131. By darrenurban on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Keith –

OK, I responded to your first message. No worries.

132. By Eazy E on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Great move by the cards!!! Kerry is better than Antrel. We got great value because we replace a good safety in rolle with a better one in rhodes. Antrel said him and kenny phillips is the best safety duo in the league hands down, not better than kerry and adub, they’re the best! Kenny might not even play for the rest of his career with his knee problems. Now we can’t get to jolly on this move because we got more work to do. Foote is coming in soon and he’d fill that ILB hole left by dansby. Dockett wants Porter and i do too. Leigh Bodden, check in on him, and Jamal Williams or Ma’ake Kemoeatu to fill our NT hole. I love this move at FS though.

133. By alex u on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

so apparentally Whiz was in Pittsburgh today and talked with Porter and Haggins, :D. Porter to meet with the Cards on Thursday.

134. By alex u on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Whiz and Haggins talked with Porter i mean

135. By Red Cards on Mar 7, 2010 | Reply

Welcome to the NFC Champion Arizona Cardinal team Kerry Rhodes. Make us proud !!!!!

136. By Dick on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Jake Delhomme???? Jake Delhomme????

137. By Scott H on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Lots of stories and spin about Rhodes…gee, might that be because he’s the only player the team has signed amidst all of these departures??? I’m really trying to get over my bitterness but I say let’s cool it with thinking that we just got a great player just because he was with the league’s best defense last year. Obviously, the Jets didn’t feel they needed this guy going forward and that cannot be overlooked here. Time will tell, of course, just as time will tell if Antrel Rolle would have been worth the money to keep him here. But this addition isn’t causing any real excitement for me right now. Maybe some more noteworthy additions will help in that department but right now? I don’t see where this secondary is one ounce better than they were because of Rhodes. A replacement for McFadden probably would have made me happier! Darren – what do you see happening with the CB position? Is McFadden back as a starter? Does Toler get a chance to win the job? Is there anyone out there that could end up here?

138. By darrenurban on Mar 8, 2010 | Reply

Scott H –

Toler does have a chance to beat out McFadden. As for Antrel, it’s all timing. Two years ago, the Jets would have laughed at the Cards had they offered Rolle for Rhodes in trade straight up. You don’t know what is going to happen.

139. By Scott H on Mar 9, 2010 | Reply

Thanks. It’s good that we have you to keep us level-headed when we’re all jumping off the deep end! Can’t be easy but you do it very well.