• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Bridges brought back on three-year deal

Posted by Darren Urban on March 11, 2010 – 2:47 pm

The Cards are still chasing guys like Joey Porter and Larry Foote, but they did bring back reserve offensive lineman Jeremy Bridges on a three-year contract Thursday. I’m not sure if that ends their chase of free-agent Rex Hadnot, but I wouldn’t be surprised. Bridges was solid in his fill-in role as tackle once Mike Gandy went down with a hernia, and he’s a valuable piece. Plus he handled Jared Allen. If Gandy doesn’t return, Bridges is an option, although one of the youngsters — Brandon Keith or Herman Johnson — likely gets first shot. And I would also guess the Cards think long and hard about drafting an offensive lineman at some point.

Tags: ,

36 Responses to “Bridges brought back on three-year deal”

1. By k. on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

glad to see this get done!

2. By james on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

yes! he can fill in at both tackle and guard positions if someone happenes to get hurt.

3. By Jesus on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

like the move still waiting on Foote and Porter, any scuttlebutt yet

4. By Secret on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

I hope he’s getting paid like a backup, other than that vikes game, he didnt do that welll last season

5. By Paul on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I’m not sure what Indy seems to be doing to their O-Line but they seem to be signing a lot of lineman through FA. Is Mike Pollak on the outs there. I wouldn’t mind seeing him in Cardinal Red. Just a thought.

6. By spitfire772 on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

I like the move, but I’m surprised it’s a 3 year deal. I’m guessing it’s not much money, but how much are we really going to pay a journeyman OT to be a backup for 3 years (unless he’s the starter)? Darren, in your opinion, are the chances fairly slim that we bring back Mike Gandy?

7. By darrenurban on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Paul –

Pollak just got to Indy. He’s not going anywhere.

8. By darrenurban on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Spitfire –

Offensive linemen can last a long time, so I’m not surprised at a 3-year deal. I am sure it is reasonable. I’ve always thought Gandy returning was a longshot, but we will see.

9. By Boomerfan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Solid move. He man-handled Allen.

10. By Hybrid on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

They need to just go ahead and play Johnson! I think he is the next cornerstone of this O-Line.

11. By Pistoldragon on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Good stuff, still hoping to see Foot and Porter in Cardinal jerseys very soon!

12. By VoiceofReason on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Great move. Glad JB is back in the fold.

13. By Ruben R on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

good move if they sign him as a back up

14. By Mack on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

-Darren

Who do you think will have the better year Leinart or Alex Smith?

I’m sick of the Niner fans thinking they got this division locked up. I want us to sign Foote and Porter please. They can replace those that we lost.

P.S The Niners only have one good player in Willis.

15. By spitfire772 on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

I agree though that we need to play Johnson or Keith, unless Bridges is a long way ahead of them. Bridges wasn’t amazing last season, other than the Vikings game. He wasn’t terrible in any game and he’s a great backup to have, he’s just not a starter.

16. By C on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

johnson was a 7th round pick wasnt he?? i havent seen him play enough to call him a cornerstone but i sure hope he is. because that would mean they got another steal in the draft

17. By Cards Fan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Good deal, teams need versatile back up lineman. Good move and he played well.

18. By Cards Fan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Any clue if Gandy has any visits or anything set up? What about any of the other guys? Are they going anywhere?

Anything new with the Ware situation?

19. By darrenurban on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Mack –

I wouldn’t necessarily agree with the p.s. thing.

As for the QB, gosh I hope it’s Leinart.

20. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you know how the procedure works when dealing with contracts?
    Does the Cardinals have a negotiating team and the Coach and GM have their inputs on who they want signed? Just curious? When I see comments like, ” no contract was offered yet” I’m wondering where we are as far as the “process” goes and why some deals are done faster than others? Of course money is always the bottom line of it all ?
    Thanks for any info on this Darren!

21. By darrenurban on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Cards Fan –

I don’t think Gandy will come back. I haven’t heard anything new on Ware.

22. By darrenurban on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

kauai –

If the players come in for visits, Whiz has already signed off on his interest. And players don’t come for a visit unless they believe a deal can be worked out. Otherwise, it’s a waste (unless they are just trying to drive up their price, which I don’t think is the case with Porter/Foote in coming to Az). Then Graves talks to the agent and they try to hammer something out.

23. By Devin on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

PFT is reporting we have also signed Rex Hadnot to a multi year deal

24. By alex u on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Unofficial but i guess when Jason La Canfora says it’s its official as it gets; Cards sign Rex Hadnot to a multi year deal. O-Line looking good for Beanie and Hightower

25. By K-DUB on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Do you see the Cards re-signing Levi Brown when his contract is up?

26. By mark on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

First off, for the one who was asking earlier Herman Johnson was a 5th round pick.I think the more competition you bring in on the offensive line or any postion for that matter the better, and Hadnot and Bridges are obviously that. Mike Grandy was decent, but not better that Bridges and even Levi Brown who was a pro bowl alternate who is not really living up to his draft postion considering he was picked before Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis and Darrell Revis in that draft.Now Brown is good at run blocking which was proven by Wells and Hightower obviouslly had more sucess running right then left, but he is only average at pass protection. I think the reason Herman Johnson slipped to the 5th round is his weight. Although he is a beast, he only projects as a guard in the NFL if he cant trim down so he can keep up with speedy outside passrushers at the tackle position.

27. By az1965 on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Sando at ESPN is also reporting Hadnot’s signing…

28. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

O.K. What’s going on? We went out and signed Hadnot, and Porter and Foote are probably boarding a plane to the next city. Darren, do certain teams have more money to spend than others? I hope that doesn’t sound like too stupid of a questoin, but I am serious. the Cleveland Browns just stole TE Ben Watson away from the Patriots. Per the article, they didn’t even let him leave town to check out other teams. I am, really confused about this whole situation. Darren, I know you have probably explained it earlier and I just wasn’t paying attention, but could you please tell me and the rest of Cardinal nation, what in your opinion may be taking so long. Are they asking for too much money? I didn’t think they were in comparison to Dansby and Rolle. Don’t get me wrong, Dansby was a good player, but Foote, Porter, they have really lost nothing. Yes they have aged a little, but personally, especially with the coaching staff, I believe it will be an upgrade, and that our defense will be feared and we will kick some a__!! Censored myself for you Darren. Your thoughts.

29. By 1st Time Cards' Fan on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Espn.com says that Hadnot may have been brought in to be a mauler at right guard. Will RG Deuce be returning to the team ? Also, what is the current contract situations with the other Cards’ OL ?

30. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub –

Wow. One free agent at a time. There’s a long time before Levi is a topic.

31. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Lone –

I blogged about this this morning. Not every free agent signs in two seconds.

32. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

1st time –

Deuce will be back, at least for 2010. Wells is signed through 2011, Sendlein has been tendered a 2010 contract, and Levi’s deal runs through 2012.

33. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

With a lot of good OT prospects in the first round, and the Cards starting to plug gaps at LB with veteran free agents, I wouldn’t be shocked if the Cards drafted an OT in the first round if they don’t like the draft options available at LB when the 26th pick comes around. But the Cards aren’t going to get any younger at LB by signing FA entering the later years of their careers. But the Cards did acquire some young LB talent in last years draft. But..But…But…

Just sit back and enjoy the ride everyone.

In Whiz we trust.

34. By Scott H on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

One thing is for sure – regardless of the who’s playing where on this line, I feel like we need them to be better than they’ve been the past few years. Kurt Warner was, for the most part, so quick with his reads and his release that the O-line in front of him didn’t need to be great. Warner could be so good against the blitz that he could be ( and was ) great even if the line if front of him wasn’t. That said, this O-line HAS played very well the past few years. But that has now become more of a necessity, as has a more consistently effective running game. Fortunately, I think Wells and Hightower are up to the task. Most O-lineman would rather run block, anyway…well, they’re gonna get their chance!

35. By ALarson on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, noticed u mentioned Deuce, R. Wells, Sendlein, and Levi above… Are u saying that Gandy is definitely gone? I hope not, I dunno if Bridges or a unproven LT is the way to go? Even if Matty is LH, don’t teams usually put their best pass rushers lined up over/near the LT?

Like someone said above lots of good LT’s in the draft. Seems like 1/2 the league has drafted a good LT in the past 4 years…. Isn’t it time the CARDS get their LT for the next 6 or 7 years?

OK OK, I will calm down… plenty of OL on the team now… we need to draft a LB or a DB prolly b4 we go after a LT, or are the CARDS at the point where they can just draft best available player regardless of position?

THANKS AGAIN Darren!

36. By Hybrid on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

If the Cards draft a LT there crazy you have 2 on the bench and they brought in Bridges to bring in another as a draft pick is stupid.