O-lineman Hadnot officially arrives

Posted by Darren Urban on March 11, 2010 – 7:31 pm

UPDATE: The Cardinals have officially agreed to terms with Rex Hadnot to a three-year deal, and brought back C Ben Claxton on a one-year deal.

I had heard the sides were close, but profootballtalk.com is reporting the Cardinals have signed veteran free-agent guard Rex Hadnot. I’d think, given the re-signing of Jeremy Bridges earlier in the day, this would close the door on bringing back Mike Gandy. You probably never say never, but the fact the Cards probably want to continue to bring along young players like Brandon Keith and Herman Johnson makes a difference. I would guess Hadnot will battle both Reggie Wells — whom the  Cards are hoping can up his play going forward — and Deuce Lutui — who for now is scheduled to be on a one-year contract — for a possible starting spot.

Tags: , , , ,

41 Responses to “O-lineman Hadnot officially arrives”

1. By pjdylan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Is this good Darren? I’ve heard different things about Hadnot. He’s heavy and wide but slow and once he’s beaten in a play it’s hard for him to recover. I’m hoping he helps us but I just don’t know.

2. By Tyler on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Doesn’t he play center as well? Replacement for Claxton?

3. By Blake on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Darrenurban Any news on Joey Porter and Larry Foote ?

4. By Dean Beckman on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Love offensive line depth. Now lets get Porter and Foote and head into the draft in better shape than it looked like we would a week ago!

5. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Nice! Now lets get the 2 LB’s signed and a QB and when the draft comes we can get some nice pass rushers on the D line!
    Thanks Darren!

6. By Patrick on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Wow. The Cards are on a roll.

7. By John on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Can’t Hadnot play center also ? I thought he could. Nice to have a starting caliber players, like Hadnot and Bridges(who can play multiple positions) in case others get injured or cant get the job done.

In 20 years as a Card fan, this is the first year the cards seemed to make the same moves I would. I love this offseason. I cant think of one bad move.

After signing Porter and Foote, we can look at QB. Not much else to do, except get ready for the draft.

But here are a couple of questions.
    1. With Breaston moved to #2, Who is going to handle punt returning? A rookie? A free agent? Someone on the team?
    2. Whose playing FB in 2010 for the Cards? Is Krieder coming back or will they look at the UFA from Cinncy?

8. By John on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Whoops, I would have signed Jamal Williams. So one bad move. :)

9. By Secret on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    I noticed on the home page that you have a poll going on about the most interesting story of the off season. One of them is who will play left tackle. Wouldn’t it be more accurate to ask who will play right tackle because of Leinart’s blind side? It cant be levi because he isnt the best pass blocker on the team

10. By AZ Realist on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Wow, it’s nice to be at the point in a franchise’s development where they’re adding depth. Not something we’re used to around here!

11. By MoJo on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Does this guy play center or guard?

12. By carlo7000 on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

darren
    it s a great sign.really happy about this player.i think i will be starter here. at this point you think the cards will take an offenive lineman in one of the first two rounds

13. By Eric on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren, since we have lost 2 players that I know of to free agency (Dansby and Urban, seeing as Rolle was cut) does that mean we can only sign 2 players at this point? And with Hadnot being signed, that means we can currently sign 1 more person?

Glad to see Bridges back and Hadnot on board. Along with the 4 returning starters and Johnson and Keith, there should be some good competition in camp later this year.

14. By Ruben R on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

hopefully rex come become a surprise player like mike gandy and bryan robinson did and become a good piece for that team

15. By james on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

darren,

when do you think porter and foote will receive offers from the cards?

16. By nm card on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren , JB is like Geico , have to have , how is Hadnot , Whiz must know something about him to sign him right away , not very familiar with him , what do you know about him , will he help, why has he moved so much being so young

also any news on Porter and Foote , are they still in the valley

Go Cards!!!!

17. By Jesus on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

anything on porter or foote yet, still waiting.
    were offers made.

18. By Tony R. on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

I guess you can say the cards are making some moves now. Picking up Hadnot could help out Reggie step his game up you gotta admit he was not the best in 2009 but still helped out the team anyways good job cards keep up the great movements..

19. By Jerrytown on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

This is a great signing! Depth on the lines goes a long way in the NFL and will allow us to play through injuries without much of a hiccup. Hadnot is still a young player, drafted in ’04, and will bring a lot to the table in terms of competition at the guard position. Now with Bridges, Keith and Johnson, who can all step in at guard or tackle, we should be looking solid and can focus on defense in the draft while maybe scooping another player, perhaps a center or true tackle, in the later rounds. Darren, do you know if the big board is set for the draft or are Keim and the staff still piecing together different scenarios?

20. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

It’s great we brought in Hadnot, but until we sign Porter and Foote, whom both have said in so many words ‘ I want to be here”, we haven’t filled the necessary gaps. It is good to have depth on the O Line, but we need a dependable D line and quality linebackers too. What is the hold up? What is the organization waiting for? If they wait too long, Joey and Larry will be gone. It is one thing to say you want a player to join your team, it’s a whole other thing to show it. C’mon, let’s show them we want them!!

21. By spitfire772 on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Is Hadnot really that good that he could realistically push Wells or Lutui for a starting job? I thought Deuce stepped up his play a bit last year, at least he cut his penalties down. Now that Gandy is gone, who do you think would be a starter: Keith, Johnson, or Bridges? I know this will play itself out in training camp, but who would you say if the season started today?

22. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

since our “blindside” as everyone loves to say now. hahaha. is RT and not LT. I think they are looking for run blocking more from the LT than a big pass blocker. Im hoping they are putting together a line that is gonna set up Beanie and High Tower for a record setting season, at least a franchise record, rushing.

23. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

filling the line with Free Agents and resignings. And… God willing signing to Veteran linebackers in FA also. We are setting ourselves up to draft a skill position, such as QB or WR in the first round, I think anyways. Who do you all think will be the best available overall player, at any postion, by the 26th pick>? cause I know thats how Graves and Whiz like to roll.

24. By TucsonTim on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Doesn’t this also close the door on Foote under the final 8 rule?

25. By Roy on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Always good to have depth on the O-Line. Grimm is the man, he has whipped a lot of average lineman into good shape. This signing hopefully will create some competition and that is always good.

26. By Card's Refugee on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren- I have read a few places that he was a center as well. Coach Whiz/Grimm love Lyle (as do I), but is he just going to be a gaurd here?

27. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

PJ –

He’s a proven veteran who at least provides depth. To me, that’s a good thing.

28. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Tyler –

Could be, but I expect Claxton to be back to fight for a job.

29. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

John –

On both your questions, it’s much too early. Let’s see who comes in the draft. Those might be answered then.

30. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Eric –

Again, the rule of 8 isn’t going to affect the team as far as the Cards are concerned. The guys they are looking at will all easily fall into slots provided.

31. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

James –

As I have said, I am sure both sides have already thrown out their thoughts. It’s a matter of coming together.

32. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Jerrytown –

The board won’t be set until after the college Pro days.

33. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Spitfire –

You know me well enough by now to know I’d say, the season doesn’t start today. Hadnot would have to really perform well to crack the lineup, but it could happen.

34. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

TucsonTim –

I don’t know Hadnot’s details but the final 8 won’t be an issue.

35. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Cards’ Refugee –

I think he will be a swingman, to be honest.

36. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

MoJo –

He can do both.

37. By Mandy on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

The Cards are making moves that I havent seen in a loooong time, and thats adding depth. With that said, no matter who the Cards add, it’s gonna come down to the play of Leinart. PERIOD.

38. By spitfire772 on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Yeah Darren, I had to at least throw it out there. I’m personally lean towards Johnson or Keith getting the starting job. Hopefully Johnson works out because he’s massive.

39. By ALarson on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Darren, with Hadnot making basically 3 mill a year will there be pressure to start him over Lutui? Lutui is tendered what? Like 1.7 mill?

Great move though, just wish we were adding some D-Line depth NOT as much depth there as we already had on OLine even b4 Hadnot signed!

Do u think we are kinda setting it up to take a NT at 26? If so, I sure hope the MOUNT CODY kid is still available… HUGE run stopper and middle clogger= more sacks for 9-0 and CC…. and whoever settles here at OLB, hopefully Foote… since apparently he REALLY wants 2 b here???

40. By darrenurban on Mar 13, 2010 | Reply

ALarson –

Lutui will play if he is better. Same with Reggie Wells.

41. By Brad ONeill on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

i have high hopes for Herman Johnson the man has the size to be phenomenal and he seems to be an all around good guy from what I have seen which is admittedly minimal. But if they can get him going I think he might really be something special for years to come. I just hope Timmy and Beanie can find there way around him when they get running.