• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

The best safeties and Urban to K.C.

Posted by Darren Urban on March 11, 2010 – 7:35 am

A few odds and ends early on a Thursday:

– Not sure if you saw, after Antrel Rolle signed with the Giants, that he talked about re-teaming with college teammate Kenny Phillips and that the two of them could be “the best (safety tandem) in the league. Hands down.” Didn’t see that? Adrian Wilson did. We were wrapping up our conversation the other day, A-Dub suddenly  brought it up unprompted. “Best safety tandem?” he said, showing that look you get from your dad when you’re a kid acting like you know everything when you really don’t. “Hold on there now. Just hold on a minute.”

That’s all he needed to say. I’d guess Wilson is looking forward to working with Kerry Rhodes and seeing if the Cards can, you know, get into the equation.

– Wide receiver Jerheme Urban is signing with the Chiefs. No surprise. Urban was inactive a lot late in the season, he wasn’t tendered as a restricted free agent and I’m not sure — even if he made the team — he’d get to play much. Besides, the main reason he came to the Cards in the first place was because then-offensive coordinator Todd Haley liked him from Urban’s and Haley’s days together in Dallas. Now Urban is reunited with Haley. (Of course, on a personal note, my two young sons are going to be bummed. It’s not often as a kid you have a guy on a team who shares your surname and then you get to meet that guy. I know fans had mixed feelings about Jerheme the player, but you won’t find a better person).

– In case you’re looking for one free-agency clearinghouse when it comes to the Cards, go to our free agency page, which we will continue to keep track of the comings and goings as guys sign.

– Another big day today for the Cards, as they finish up free-agent visits with linebackers Larry Foote and Joey Porter.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

47 Responses to “The best safeties and Urban to K.C.”

1. By Dane on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

The title of your article scared me Darren. I thought our best safties went to KC for a second. Thanks for waking me up this morning.

2. By Ditship on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Can’t really expect Rolle to say they’ll be the worst in the league or the 3rd best in the league. I think Rolle is going to have a hard time in NY though. They always say that the media is killer there when you aren’t living up to expectations and Rolle now being the highest paid Safety in the NFL puts up some pretty lofty goals for him to reach. I think he’ll be good but I don’t think he’ll ever make those fans happy. I wish he would have stayed here because I don’t think he had reached his peak yet but he isn’t going to ever be in the same breath with the elite safeties playing today. He sure was a damn entertaining player to watch on the field when he had the ball though!

As for Urban.. I can’t say I’ll shed a tear watching him leave the team (the Saints fumble seriously just made the guy dead to me) but I had always noticed that when Cardinal charities photos were posted the guy was ALWAYS attending the event. I hope the best for him as a Chief. He always gets open.. he just has a hard time keeping possession of the ball (catching or in the last example holding).

I hope that at least one of the Porter/Foote combo stays here after today. I wouldn’t cry if both do. Some people on here don’t like all these Steeler cast offs.. I see the wins we’ve had in the last 3 years and I’m willing to let Whis and Graves do their thing because so far so good. I do think this season will be VERY telling though on what we’ve been building in the background with depth though. Maybe I’m crazy to be excited about it.

3. By chris on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Agree, Jerheme Urban was a super nice guy. If he gets more playing time is KC, he’ll become a better-more respected player. 4-5 plays a game isn’t enough to judge a player.

4. By chris from the north on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Is this a trend of the cardinals getting rid of the guys that blow the big games for them? First Fransico and now urban. I think the players should start takeing notes, and not blow the big ones.

5. By Secret on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

The Card’s receiving corp is still the best in the league, even without urban and boldin. But now they need to draft a receiver in a late round to make more depth.

Darren, do you think that the Cardinals will still run 4-5 receiver sets assuming leinart is the starter?

6. By Bryan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Haha I would take that as an insult if I wad adub…seriously.Giant fans are going to be VERY dissapointed this year for how much they are building up Rolle.How many of tem have actually watched rolle play last year other than the NY game?That’s just funny.

7. By AZ Realist on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Being a “great person” is…great. But it doesn’t win football games. Urban’s time in AZ will always be remembered for boneheaded drops and, of course, the fumble against the Saints…which started the avalanche the Cardinals couldn’t recover from. I’ll personally feel a lot better knowing #85 isn’t around to screw things up next season.

8. By darrenurban on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Chris from the north –

Urban’s fumble hurt the Cards in the playoff game, but if you think it cost the Cards the game — or that Francisco cost them the Super Bowl — you’re simply off-base.

9. By Bobf on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Doing a heckuva job keeping busy in the offseason. Thanks.

10. By darrenurban on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Az Realist –

That’s OK. I am sure you’ll find someone else to pile on with the new roster.

11. By Joe-B on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Its always fun to listen to A-Dub.

12. By NYCARDSFAN on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

I would have to agree with darren, (as much as I hate to say a word against the cards) but with all the injuries we had when we faced the saints, we didnt have a fair chance. But, one thing the nfl has taught me is the fact that the game isnt over till the clock runs out, and Urbans fumble in that game, nice guy or not, will be my last memory of him. As far as the super bowl loss goes, they didnt play the clock right. Last score that I think fitzy made, should not have happened. He should have dropped a knee at the 1 or 2 yard line so they could run the clock down. The cards simply scored too soon. Nobody should be blaming that on fransisco.

13. By Big Red Fan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

I am thrilled to have Rhodes in the secondary, thrilled to see Doucet an Breaston get more action, thrilled to see what Higtower/Wells are able to do.

On another note – any word about the Whitehurst visit?

14. By Big Red Fan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

AZ Realist –

I agree that a lot of folks will probably remember him for those things. . . .

However. . . .

I figure there was a reason they had him catching passes from Kurt Warner in a NFL playoff game instead of any one of of the 50,000,000 other college receivers who would love a shot at playing in an NFL playoff game – but didn’t make the cut. Just a thought.

Darren –

I noticed Jerheme’s name showing up often on the list of players doing things out in the community with Kurt, etc. So I always kinda assumed he was a classy guy.

15. By Brett on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

A-Dub has every reason in the world to take offense to what Antrel said. Basically he is saying that Phillips is better than A-Dub. Now we all know Adrian Wilson has got to be the most versatile safety in the league and correct me if I am wrong but the ONLY active Safety in the 20-20 club????

16. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Did Matt Ware resign with the Cards? I noticed on NFL.com they are showing that he is back with the Cards? http://www.nfl.com/freeagency
    Thanks Darren!

17. By ryan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

AZ realist,

Well said my friend.

18. By pjdylan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Every player screws up once in a while. Even the amazing Fitz with those “nice hands” fumbled the ball in the wild card game that turned the momentum to the packers. Not to mention the entire team was asleep during that onside kick.
    I’ll thank anybody who was on this team for their contributions, however minor or massive.

19. By cards fan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Urban did a good job as a 4th/5th WR…. I don’t know why everyone expected him to be Fitz/Boldin/Breaston, that’s why he was a 4th/5th WR… He held of Doucet for a year and a half.

20. By Adam on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

That fumble in the Saints game certainly shifted momentum… That is hard to deny.

21. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

John Skelton is the next Ben Roethlisberger. Graves and Whisenhunt should consider drafting this player(4)rnd.

22. By darrenurban on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Kauai –

Nothing is official with Ware yet, but I do think he will eventually re-sign.

23. By darrenurban on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Big Red –

Only that it happened.

24. By gordo on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

i think kerry has something to prove and now so does a dub.. to show there the best safteies. cant mess with that.. plus one off the things the used too p… me off with rolle was his tacklin!

25. By Wampag on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

hey D whats going on with rackers?

also the NFC west is continuing to make news for one of the eagles qb’s

you know the deal for Kolb isn’t bad

have you heard anything?

26. By Tbru on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

So long Darren we will miss you

what? Jerheme Urban oh…..

Nevermind

27. By Tbru on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

I guess if Whiz can make the Arizona Steelers, Todd can make the KC Cardinals

28. By darrenurban on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

Nothing with Rackers right now. As for the Eagles’ QBs, the only thing I have heard is that the Eagles are looking for deals that would wow them.

29. By Bryan on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

So what times are the cards meeting with foote and porter?And when will we hear the good news???

30. By K-DUB on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Bon Voyage Urban… I bet Haley could probably shape him up…Maybe Haley could gives us back Lance Long

31. By darrenurban on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Bryan –

The Cards have been meeting with them since last night. I don’t know if they are suddenly going to sign today though.

32. By Peter in Canada on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Words of Wisdom

Do you mean onthe football field or off it?

33. By Jason Terry on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

We should pick up Jacoby Ford with one of our 3rd round picks.

34. By Cory on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    I know that players talk hype when they get to a new team. But, really? Rolle needs to show a little respect for A-Dub. If anyone talks about any of the best safeties in the league, they HAVE to say “Adrian Wilson” at some point. I know it was big talk, but it does make me lose some repect for Rolle.

35. By SmoothCardGa on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

I think the knock on Urban (the receiver) was his tendency to always cause a bobble or tipped ball. The bobbled TDs vs the RAMS or the INTs from countless other times. Not to mention the inopportune drops while being wide open… I though he was a serviceable guy but I think his confidence was really shot this season, maybe KC’s good for him… I wonder if Lance Long’s still there too?

36. By SmoothCardGa on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

BTW, I dunno why but its almost funny when A Dub speaks like he’s insulted… He doesn’t say much off the field but when does its usually very like but means so much and I can imagine the look on his face too…

37. By riwjr on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Darren, We are down to 3 WR’s are we resigning Morey? Will they maybepick up a WR through the draft or free agency?

38. By darrenurban on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

riwjr –

There are a lot of ways they can go. I am sure they will look for another WR or two.

39. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Peter in Canada-

The reality of the situation is this, Leinart is on thin ice.
    If he struggles or gets injured he’s gone, you could close the book on the Matt Leinart experiment. The fans who support Leinart know that there’s enough talent around him to just manage the game and not lose it for us. Personally as a fan I think we deserve more than that, we need a QB who can go out and win it for us. The way (FAVRE, BREES, BRADY, MANNING and ROETHLISBERGER) do.

John Skelton-BIG BEN without the baggage

40. By CMacyn on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

Just watched John Skelton’s pro day, very good mechanics, strong arm, decent accuracy. Darren, If he slips to say the second third round and we haven’t reached an agreement with anyone else is this possible? I know its a stretch but what do you think of this.

41. By darrenurban on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn –

I think he is a possibilty. We’ll see if it’s that early though.

42. By AlexLong on Mar 11, 2010 | Reply

A great thing to see would’ve been if we got rolle back, moved him back to his original position in CB w/ DRC and have Rhodes and Wilson in the backfield. That would’ve been beautiful

43. By Tbru on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

The thing I will miss most with Urban gone, is hearing the opponents radio announcers mispronounce his name

44. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

AlexLong –

Rolle pretty much proved he’s not a CB.

45. By darrenurban on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Tbru –

Whattdya mean? Urban is as straightforward as they come … :)

46. By joe67 on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

Seems like everyone wants to blast Jeremy Urban. I liked him, alot. I remember some pretty darn nice catches, and clutch catches he made, as well as some drops. Gee, seems like I remember Boldin droppin’ at least a couple right in his hands.

47. By Sean on Mar 12, 2010 | Reply

A good safety tandem? Yes. The BEST safety tandem!? NO WAY! My money is on Wilson and Rhodes to be a much better pair. They may not be as flashy, probably no 50+ yard TD interceptions that you may catch a glimpse of Rolle pulling off on SportsCenter, but I believe Wilson and Rhodes will be a more efective pair of safeties.