A possible quarterback scenario

Posted by Darren Urban on March 14, 2010 – 11:15 am

So the news comes down that the Cards have made a contract offer to restricted free agent quarterback Charlie Whitehurst. The Seahawks have as well. Interesting, because Whitehurst would cost a third-round pick if he leaves as a free agent and the Seahawks don’t have a third-round pick. That means they have agreed to take something else in return, which makes me hope the Cards have also worked out something that would cost them something less than a third-rounder. That I don’t know. If they haven’t, obviously the Chargers would rather have a third-rounder than something lower, and they’d want Whitehurst to pick the Cards. But the power is in the player’s hands in this regard.

That aside for a moment, let’s say the Cards convince Whitehurst to sign their offer and he eventually comes to Arizona. This doesn’t necessarily mean Derek Anderson won’t. In fact, I can see a scenario where the Cards bring in both Whitehurst and Anderson with Matt Leinart — especially if they aren’t thrilled with the aside-from-Sam-Bradford QBs in this draft. Anderson would almost certainly come in on a short-term deal in that regard. Now, you still have to convince the free agents that it’s a place to be despite other guys who are trying hard to find a place to play. Leinart, Anderson and Whitehurst are all desperately trying to get and stay on the field.

Tags: , , ,

100 Responses to “A possible quarterback scenario”

1. By Dan on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Hopefully the Cardinals can Get Charlie Whitehurst for less then a 3rd Rd pick. I watched him at Clemson and he has all the tools that you look for in an NFL QB (arm strength, accuracy, work ethic, athleticism). Have you heard what the contract offer is and i heard that he will make his decision in the next 48 hrs ?

bottom line is i trust Coach Whiz and if he deems him worthy of the 3rd pick then go get him !

2. By Joe-B on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I don’t like the idea of spending a 3rd round pick on this guy.

3. By cards302 on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I like the situation ( will cause more competition for the QB position) but do you think whinehurst arm can keep up with the depth of receivers we have. I feel if anything he would slow down our core. Is that a fair assumption or concern to express?

4. By az1965 on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Why would we want to give up a 3rd rounder for someone who has not thrown a single pass in the league??? I would rather get someone in a later rounds.

5. By FightON on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Why not just sign Whitehurst if Whisenhunt is on his jock? Bring in Anderson as well….all this jacking around with the passive/aggressive approach to the QB position is just causing more and more of a polarizing effect on the fanbase and feeding the ML hate. I’m sure if they call Pete he’ll take Matt off our hands if we ask for a 7th in return…because that’s about as much faith as Whisenhunt and the Cardinals are showing to the only experienced QB on the roster. This Leinart/Arizona Cardinals mix is pure poison.

6. By Dave on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I hope Whitehurts decides to come to AZ. I’m sure Whis impressed upon him the fact that the best players play.

In Seattle it would likely be tough for him to start ahead of incumbent Matt Hasselbeck.

7. By Ruben R on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

if is not a 3rd rounder i wonder got deal is goin to be

8. By larry spurgeon on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren: Do you share the fans input from these pages with the Cards Brass? Thanks

9. By Mario8267 on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

what has whitehurst done on the field to be so sought after???

10. By Andre on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Wow, both of them as a possibility? I guess it works. I remember Leinart getting hurt and Warner coming in. Warner looked liked he could fall and break bones instantly. We didn’t have adequate depth then. Whatever they do, I’m pretty sure it will make sense.

11. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Cards302 —

I know very little about Whitehurst, so I can’t even address it right now.

12. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

FightON —

Well, given your screen name and e-mail address, I think you’re a tad biased in this situation, don’t you think?

13. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Larry —

It’s on the site if they really wanted to see it.

14. By FightON on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

@darren

Come now, you’re better than that….at least I hope so.

15. By Patrick on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Daren:

Pretty wild sceanio you posed. Hard to imagine Anderson doesn’t have better options in the context of Whitehurst coming here. The latter of course is far from establisehd.

Me thinks you have some inside info. I know you are speculating, but good stuff. If this happens the dynamics are very exciting. Especially if we can land Foote/Porter. Man, St. Paddy’s Day could be one to remember.

16. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

(1) JERRY HUGHES (OLB) TCU
    (2) CAM THOMAS (NT) NC
    (3) AMARI SPIEVEY (CB) IOWA
    (3) JOHN SKELTON (QB) FORDHAM or trade for WHITEHURST.
    (4) BLAIR WHITE (WR) MICH ST
    (6) MICHAEL HOOMANAWANUI (TE) ILLINOIS
    (7) JAMESON KONZ (FB) KENT ST

That looks good to me!

17. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Like most fans, Whitehurst is starting to grow on me(hopefully there’s a disinfectant). Would rather have a player that pro guys know what their getting than a later round rookie you HOPE transfers to next level.
    Just don’t see Anderson signing to possibly be a backup, especially with the monies he’ll want.
    And when did QB become the first offseason priority? There seems like a little thing like stopping the ball.

18. By Buddy Hensley on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I would like to see us get 2 QB’s in free agency and not address them in the draft. I’d like to see us get depth at other possitions in the draft especially at aging possitions like LB and maybe a younger DE to pair opposite Calais Campbell. I think we should bring young QB’s in for training camp on free agency too. I personally like Graham Harrell who went undrafted out of Texas Tech last season. I like him far more than any QB in this draft class. Do you think this is a possiblity Darren?

19. By cards302 on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

in your opinion how do you think having all three of them will effect the team?

20. By Logan Cooper on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

How does this move not make sense to those of you who are against this?
    I would rather trade a 3rd round pick on a QB who has been in the NFL than one in the draft.

Also if they tendered a 3rd rounder on a guy who has never played a snap there is obviously something really good about him.

He also sits behind Phillip rivers so you can’t knock him on why he hasn’t played at all.

21. By Tanner on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

darren,
    offtopic a bit…is breaston going to replace boldins spot or do you think we will go after a WR like TO, coles, or marshall?

22. By AZCards2124 on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Does anyone know the tender offers to Orton or Campbell? Id love to see either of them compete w Leinart.

23. By Tyrelle on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

If we give up a 3rd for an unproven QB we are going to be screwed. We need help at the LB position and we need a decent NT.If we get Porter and Foote, then I will say, we can go after Whitehurst, but let 2 LBs go who are dying to play for us, and not sign them but an unproven QB spells a whole lot of trouble.

24. By Boomerfan on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I don’t get whitehurst and it kinda stings to think we’d give up a 3rd round pick in a super deep draft year. I guess the FO must know something about an unproven NFL QB we don’t.

25. By Jason Terry on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Getting him for a 3rd round pick if fine. He better then an of the quarterbacks we could get in the draft with a 3rd round pick.

26. By akcard on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren: get the sense the cards want to sign both whitehurst and anderson; then they could jettison leinart to hawks, reuniting leinart with carroll for some high draft choices. whiz and organization are not showing much confidence in leinart with all the interest in both whitehurst and anderson, especially willing to give up a 3rd round pick for a QB with no nfl game experience. don’t buy the competition argument for leinart, with all this flurry of activity for another QB.

27. By TucsonCardsFan on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I think Whiz knows a little bit more about quarterbacks than most of us posting here, come on people show a little faith. I’m just curious how they scout a guy who hasn’t played.

28. By k. on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

i find it hilarious that when the cards expressed interest in d.carr the ‘9er’s then showed their interest. then the cards showed interest in c.whitehurst and suddenly seattle wants him too. so the cards bring in charlie then seattle brings in charlie and now competing contract offers. i hope the c. whitehurst accepts the cards offer!

29. By Shannon Robinson on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Why would the front office get distracted by us. We’re like the backseat driver without a map but with a couple opinions and just because we’re always right doesn’t mean you have to do what we say. I know I’m one of the worst. The offer on Whitehurst proves at the very least that Mr. Graves and team move fast when time is of the essence. For me I say I’d rather he is a Card and not a Hawk. This is inter-division. And the bid is?

30. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

FightON —

Well, I suppose I could ask you the same thing. The line you make about Whisenhunt and Whitehurst makes you sound like a bitter Leinart fan, not a Cardinal fan. I hope I am wrong.

Make no mistake — I want Matt to succeed. But it is naive to think that’s a guarantee. The Cards have one QB on the roster. Period. Would you rather have the Cards draft two players — and they wouldn’t be getting one early in the draft — and then just hope Leinart is the answer? Personally, I think Matt is the guy unless he plays so poorly they have to make a change. In that case, it doesn’t matter who is behind him. The way you just portrayed the situation, you make it sound like if the Cards have anyone who can possibly play behind him, they are screwing Matt.

Two final points: One, if Whisenhunt hated Leinart, why would Leinart have had a chance to still win the job in camp 2008, after the job Warner did to close 2007? Then, it was the Warner fans up in arms that Whisenhunt and the team loved Leinart so much Warner was getting the short shrift. Second, the fan base will be swayed on Matt based on how he plays. If he plays well, the fans will love him. If he doesn’t, the fans won’t. That’s how it works for every quarterback. Matt understands that.

31. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Buddy —

I do see the Cards possibly ending up with a fourth QB, although if the Cards get Whitehurst and Anderson — and that’s no lock, mind you — between them and Leinart, it’s going to be tough to get another guy any work.

32. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Cards302 —

Well, first they’d have to get all three. I don’t know. I think if you have all three at reasonable rates, there will be pressure for each to prove themselves. And again, I am speculating. They may decide Anderson is the fallback only if Whitehurst doesn’t come here.

33. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Tanner —

The top three receivers will be Fitz, Breaston and Doucet.

34. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

akcard —

Whitehurst and Anderson have barely shown much in the NFL. Anderson had two-thirds of a good season. I don’t know if that is worth saying goodbye to Leinart. And I don’t see a deal between division rivals.

35. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Shannon —

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but amen.

36. By Patrick on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Urb: Boy did you stir the pot. Love the fast action!

37. By gaCARDSfan on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I would like to point out that Whitehurst’s body of work in college is nothing to scoff at. Secondly, Whitehurst was picked in the 2006 draft 3rd round 81st overall so if Whiz sees something he likes in him (let’s be honest this years QB lineup in the draft sucks) then I don’t see that the Cards are really reaching that much if they decide to add some young depth this way.

38. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Here is my opinion, give Leinart his legitamite opportunity to prove he can do the job! I am not talking about the practice field, I am talkin game time. If by chance they do sign both Whitehurst and Anderson, let them compete for the backup roll. If Leinart fails, which I don’t believe he will, throw in a backup. I look at it this way, he has earned it! Two years behind Kurt Warner, sitting on the bench. He had to have learned something from the master, and he definately knows this system better than anyone else coming in. Everyone wants consistency from him, well he needs to play consistently. Not just five minues in this game or the last 7 minutes of a game that is already over(hence the Packers and The Sainnts at the end of the season) Quite honestly that is not a fair evaluation. Let’s give Leinart a chance, I for one believe in him. Besides, correcet me if I am wrong Darren, isn’t this the last year of his contract? He’ll be playing foer a new one this year, barring a lockout! Go Cards!!

39. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I really am a lousy typist!! Good thing I don’t do it for a living!!

40. By Nathan H on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, so hopefully we will hear the signing of Anderson, Foote, and Porter those are the three I want. I’m indifferent towards Whitehurst although I do think he has good potential. Anderson despite what people believe is a good QB, at least was, I think as of recently his confidence has been drained due to the QB problems and the inpotent Cleveland offense. His accuracy has seem to struggle, as a result, of his lack in confidence in the Cleveland WRs but in 2007 he did go to a Pro Bowl, so he does have what it takes to succeed in the right environment. As for Foote, and Porter, they are also proven to be successful, and I think having Haggans, Foote, and Porter will up the profile of our defense that despite having really good players like Docket, Wilson, Rolle, DRC, Dansby…we still have been regarded lightly when it comes to playing defense. So I’m hoping these guys will bring some positive aggression/attitude/hype to the defense and get our defense some respect this year. Also a message to Bill Davis, get a better gameplan for the 2 min drill! Because It’s been killing me the past couple of years! lol

41. By Billy Thomas on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you think Tebow will drop down to the 3rd round? The only reason I ask is because I think I would rather take a chance on Tebow who could offer something in a “wildcat” package and could also possibly turn out well than go after Whitehurst for the same pick level. I really like Whiz though, and he obviously has something with Whitehurst so I won’t complain. And also, I think Matt will be just fine and we’re all just writing wasted comments on something that hopefully won’t matter.

42. By akcard on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren: a team needs only 2 good QBs, a starter and his backup. if cards sign both whitehurt and anderson; leinart is out of here. anderson’s two thirds of a good season is equivalent to leinart’s.

43. By Todd on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren I don’t know how much the Cards listen to the faithful or you but put a bug in their ear about drafting Rob Gronkowski in the second round (if he lasts that long). With his year off, people forget how dominant he was and impossible to bring down as a TE weapon. Patrick is decent but Gronkowski will be a star and he is a local UA product to attract some passionate Tucson support for the team.

One question Darren. Not much has been said about keeping Rackers or replacing him. I was under the impression his contract was up and I haven’t heard a peep about the Cards re signing him. Do you think the Cards are as fed up as the fans with Rackers constantly missing game winning or ties in the final seconds? I have loved the heart of Rackers over the years and he probably is the best tackling kicker of all time, but I think it time to find a more consistent kicker like we did with our punter Ben Graham, who is awesome inside the 20.

44. By Tanner on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

darren,
    so the cardinals aren’t even looking at any WR on the FA list?

45. By kekojones on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

IS TIM RATTAY AVAILABLE?????

46. By FightON on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

@darren

Now read this:

4. Arizona is far from convinced that Matt Leinart is its short- or long-term answer at quarterback. His work ethic and commitment continue to be questioned, I’m told by sources in the Cardinals building. It would surprise me if Leinart is the starter on opening day, especially if the team is able to sign Charlie Whitehurst from the Chargers. Whitehurst is a hard worker, dedicated teammate and willing to pay the price to be a starter in the NFL.

47. By DON IN MESA on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

TO “WORDS OF WISDOM”…GOOD DRAFT, BUT NO INSIDE LB…HAYES…BAD BACK,. KARLOS GONE, TWO UNDRAFTED FA’S LEFT?

48. By Gerald Jones on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I wonder if Matt has the desire to be great – the fire in the belly – I sense that he does not. I don’t think he has strong leadership characteristics.

49. By Scott H on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I’m really trying to go along with this “In Whiz we trust” thing, but…how can you trust in a guy ( Whitehurst, that is ) when you haven’t even seen him play??? I DO trust Whisenhunt. And I hope he and Rod Graves know what they’re doing here. Because they’re offering a 3rd round pick for a guy who’s been behind Billy Volek on the depth chart for a few years now. Sorry, but it’s hard to put a lot of trust in that…

Darren – let’s assume both Anderson and this Whitehurst guy do land here. If so, is Leinart going into camp as the starter or should we expect a truly open competition? Because I have to think that if Leinart loses the starting job to ANYONE in camp this year, it’s pretty much over for him in Arizona…isn’t it???

50. By ALarson on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren, just a question here…. Why do the CARDS want 2 QB’s who have a total of 1 season of work behind them? Why not go after a QB who is a REAL VET, at least played a few seasons?….. or do they lack the money to sign someone lie that?

OR is it that there just isn’t any QB’s with more then 3 yrs experience left out there in FA?

51. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Lone —

Leinart is signed through 2011.

52. By sanuway on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

This is a particularly deep defensive draft. I would hope if they gave up a third it would be next years, or maybe the Cards might get that extra third for Wright or Smith? They could plug a lot of holes with this draft.

53. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Billy —

I don’t know on Tebow. I don’t see Tebow getting drafted by the Cards regardless.

54. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Todd —

I don’t think it is a lock Rackers returns.

55. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Tanner —

Not the high-end receivers.

56. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

FightON —

Perhaps that is true, but no one has told me that.

57. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I guess I would see competition. And yes, I would definitely agree with one thing: If Leinart doesn’t emerge as the starter, he is pretty much done in Arizona. But I am still not convinced he won’t be the starter.

58. By Nick Pepe on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren –
    What would you say the chances (%) that the following 4 end up on our roster next year: Foote, Porter, Whitehurst, Anderson. Your guess is better than most!
    I think this could be a big week for the Cards. I hope.
    Nick

59. By dylan on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Leinarts work ethics hmm from what alot of his teammates been sayin he has already started working out and practicing for the new season so what ever that means

60. By fitzis11red on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

See Darren. You are the man. haha!! Matt is the only guy on the roster and we need some quality depth. Admittedly I know nothing of Whitehurst and little on Anderson -except for his Pro Bowl year in ’07, I believe it was. But lets look at Matts game against Tennessee: 21/31 220 yrds and no TD’s but no mistakes either. Albeit he had a fumble that was not lost. It took the Titans to go 99yds
    to win the game. Remember this is coming off the bench to start after Warner took all the snaps in practice. Not bad for a cold guy. He’s not going anywhere. He is the most proven QB we got. We can’t have thin air backing him up. I believe in #7.

61. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

ALarson —

Aside from Anderson, who would you chase? Bulger hasn’t been released. Culpepper? Who?

62. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

I disagree my guess is better than most. Until I know otherwise, my guess is just a guess.

63. By jason on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren, did you see the story on the Detroit news website about Foote set to return to Steelers, do you think this true or more of a player trying to negotiate his value?

64. By FightON on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

@Darren…curious, is there PR practed in the Cardinals organization? The way this looks is; “insiders” are too willing to talk, and what they are saying is polar opposite from what the coach is mouthing…and add a former player throwing a fellow teammate under the bus. The worth of a former #10 selection is in the gutter, which Matt started and the organization finished. No one in their right mind will want to trade for ML.

65. By Billy Thomas on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I think the Cards should go after Whitehurst OR Anderson and then wait on Bulger. Bulger will sign with us because he will see a fantastic opportunity for a potential starting job, a team that can revitalize his career, and a good coaching staff. I really think Bulger is the back-up option for the Cards, even though DeMarco Farr seems to believe he has the same kind of problem as Leinart may have. Leinart has little heart (we believe….prove us wrong Matt!) and Bulger has little charisma.

66. By Nick Pepe on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    I guess you won’t go out on a limb and throw out some percentages.
    I would say that 3 of 4 aforementioned ending up in Arizona would be a good week and will sit back and watch. But the dragging on is dragging me down!
    Nick

67. By Tyman on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Alarson we should go out and trade for an experienced QB like Mcnabb, or even vick (although i would perfer Mcnabb). I think it would be smart to give up a first if we can get a vet in here with some pro bowls behind hem as are starting QB. I think kitna would be better than lienard, or what about trying for Collins? There are guys we could get.

68. By mark on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren I just saw a report from Detriot News that Larry Foote was flying back to Pittsburgh tonight in hopes of finalizing a three year contract with the Steelers, now i know you would never talk bad about the cards organization but i think it is disappointing and a mistake if this report turns out to be true. I saw that the signing Foote as most people on this blog would have been a perfect fit with the loss of Dansby. I can only guess that the cards got cheap and the usually thrifty Steelers are going to give him more money which is a shame, because he obviously wanted to be here.

69. By wtbennington on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I found this over on the Chargers site about Whitehurst and think it might be one of the reasons why the Cards are interested in him. Most Quarterbacks do much better when sitting back and watching for a few years and this kind of experience would put him far ahead of any rookie QB we could draft.

“While Whitehurst patiently waits for his opportunities, he plays an important role on gamedays. When the Chargers are on offense, he relays the plays from Head Coach Norv Turner to Philip Rivers through the communication system in Rivers’ helmet.

An honor roll student throughout his college career at Clemson, Whitehurst earned his degree in marketing in December 2004, a full year before his eligibility expired. He left the Clemson, South Carolina campus as the Atlantic Coast Conference’s third all-time leading passer. One of the players who ranked ahead of him was Rivers, who spent his collegiate career at North Carolina State.”

70. By John on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

To everyone who says why use a third to get an unproven QB;
    The Rams are going to use the first overall for an unproven NFL QB. Someone may use a 1 for Claussen, who is unproven. And McCoy and Tebow may go for seconds and Pike and others will go for thirds. Add up all there passes in the NFL and you get a big zero. But you dont want to take a chance with a third on a guy who has learned for 3 years under a very good offensive mind in Norv Turner, not to mention, learned how to prepare for NFL games and had a pretty good college resume???? Come on Now.

But Darren, here is my question. What if Whitehurst out plays Lienart in camp/preseason; Do the Cards hand over the keys to Whitehurst or do they still give Matt (who knows the offense) a chance and give Whitehurst some time to adjust to a new offense? I guess what I’m saying is, Can Matt lose his job to Whitehurst coming out of camp? Whiz loves guys with experience. Look how long it took him to stck DRC in as starter (just one example)

71. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Mark —

I just blogged about the report. Let’s make sure it was about money first. And let’s make sure Foote ends up signing too — it was reported he has to pass a physical, and that’s not usually mentioned unless there is reason to think he possibly could not.

72. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

John —

I have no idea. I’d like to see if Whitehurst signs first.

73. By Ron on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

My opinion is that if the Cards plan on drafting a QB in the 3rd… which i think is the plan, then the question is what QB is better than Whitehurst in the draft?
    Thats a question that demands an opinion. So, to each his own.

I do not know much about the Whitehurst fella, but i would try mighty hard to sign Anderson. At least he is adequate from what i have seen. IT would spark some competition among the two. I wouldn’t care if they drafted ONLY defensive players. Defense is the KEY this offseason.

I’ll take a stab at the % question…
    70% Porter
    10% Foote
    30% Anderson
    70% Whitehurst

Go Cardinals

74. By frankie on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

why in the world did they make him an offer they might as well come 2 my house an offer me a contract that way they can save some more money because I’ll take anything. I mean atleast Anderson has starting experience and at some point in his career he was good.

75. By DMan on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Hello people ! Did you forget that Leinart was the starting QB when Warner came here. It was Matts team. He was given every opportunity to take charge of the team, he failed misserably. Warner was not supposed to be the starting QB, he knew when he came from the Giants that it was Matts team. Matt could not get the job done and Warner had to step it up. He is not an NFL starting QB a back up @ best. We better be talking to the Eagles.

76. By Chris Tucker on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren

What about using that 3rd rounder to get Kirk Morrison from the Raiders? I think they put a 3rd round tender on him.

77. By dylan on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

is it possible to block ip addresses because im way tired of hearing tyman talk about getting mcnabb

seriously if the eagles released him then something is wrong

78. By dylan on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Dman and the only reason warner took the starting job in 07 matt BROKE HIS COLLAR BONE sorry dude and that was his first year with the new coach and he got beat out by a HOF Dman i find your agrument irrelevant and just dumb so plz have some correct information before you start shouting out idiotic stuff

79. By DMan on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

McNabb is not the only qualified Qb on Eagles !

80. By Tbru on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

why are so many people so opposed to adding QB’s we have one under contract. We need a couple more. Injuries happen in the NFL and nothing wrong with having competition. I am sure we will draft one but he most likely won’t be able to contribute the first year. If Whitehurst shows promise and has been getting his education from Rivers and Turner he is probably closer to being a starter than any rookie is. Now that Denver got Quinn, I wonder if Orton will be available this off season. We need to add 2 QB’s and all options should be considered to make sure we get the right fit. My money is still on Leinart to start but we need a solid back up and potential future. If Whitehurst ends up in Seattle and becomes a star, it could bury us for years.

I hope we get younger not older on the defensive side but Porter could be a good anchor

81. By adam on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Dman,

Warner was here the year Before Leinart was even drafted by the Card’s. That would make it difficult for Warner to know that it was Matt’s team before he came from the Giants. I have to agree with dylan and ask for you to know what you are talking about (or at least check your facts) before you start typing.

82. By ALarson on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren…. can u post Leinart, not Lienhard or Leinhart ppl! Anyways can u possibly give us Matt’s stats before he broke his collarbone and Warner basically took over the team>>> becuz Kurt is a HOFer.

I believe Matt’s Rookie year he had some kind of record for most 300 yard games in a row, or not in a row but just 300 yard games by a rookie?

… and what I was saying b4 is: are there any QB’s out there starting or backing some1 up with 3 yrs or more of actual playing experience?

Thanks Darren, u keep this CARDS fans heart beating during the offseason… U ROCK Urban!

83. By ALarson on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

nevermind Darren, just looked up Leinart’s game by game stats from 2006! Only 1 game over 300 yards in his rookie year.

I musta been thinkin about some1 else…. Was that 405 yard game, the most by a Rookie?

I just refuse to think that Matt can stink as bad as half as AZ thinks he does???

84. By Terry on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I say go out and get this guy, this guy’s quicker than matt, and he’s been on the bench cause of a pro bowler and proven backup, he’s been practicing with pro bowl receivers, and would fit into our offense nicely, I watched him move around in the pocket, in some old film, and I’ll tell you right now leinert can’t do that, get this guy, he’s only making half a million, I don’t know what it’s going to take to beat seahawks offer, but I can tell you this, we were spoiled with warner, and when our Quarterback’s starter sucking rock’s you are gonna wish we had payed for some talent at this position, we’ve got the receiver’s. I think this guy’s been sitting behind one of the best, listening and learning, and now it’s his time. I think coach has got it right! get him. I’m going to repeat it. Get him!!!

85. By CJ on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Whitehurst can beat out matt and i want him to.Whitehurst can make every NFL throw every now and we don’t have to groom a QB right a way. We should sign Whitehurst.Check out on Youtube Charile Whitehurst and tell me what you think of him now after watching the video and the tilte is A Tribute to Charile Whitehurst

86. By Mr. Know It All on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Born in Phoenix,AZ I find it hard to believe that there is only one player on our roster from the UofA Wil Fontenot and no ASU players at all. At least give a camp invite!!

87. By Mr. Know It All on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Drafting a kicker? Check the kid out of Bama.

88. By akcard on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

you are all missing the big picture. you don’t give up a 3rd round pick for a backup, you give a 3rd round pick if you think the guy could be your starter. if you want a backup, go after anderson who won’t cost you a draft pick. if you think that a QB who has never started a nfl game in his life and who you have practically zero nfl game tape on because he has not played; to bring on that type of player to compete with leinart for the starting spot. what does that tell you about what the organization thinks about leinart?

89. By Andrew on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

at first i thought that i’d be upset about the cards giving up a 3rd rounder for this guy but i’ve also been telling everyone the cards were probably gonna draft a qb 3rd round so if they think Whitehurst is better than who would be there third round then… it does make sense, right?

darren, you agree?

and though i’d certainly hope we could have a deal in place to only have to give a 4th or something… is that possible??

90. By FightON on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

I hope whoever we get as a starting QB, we give him more than 16 games before we start callilng for his head…or at least, 16 consecutive starts for crying out loud. People also seem to block out that Kurt himself was knocked around all over the arena league and the NFL before be became the QB he is now…and his first three years in AZ were not exactly HOF quality. Kurt was unique, with a touching story of overcoming odds and a resilient and strong belief in his abilities…there is a good chance that story will not be repeated in our lifetimes. Whoever Whisenhunt picks as his boy, let’s support him and let the Leinart experiement move on for everyone’s sake. I think I’ll throw a party.

91. By Ron on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Exactly! Warner came before leinart! Newbie…go back and watch mcnabb play for the eagles and leave us alone.

92. By 949cardsfan on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

You dont need 3 QB”s, all with roughly the same ability. If your gonna bring in an elite QB thats one thing. But, Whitehurst and Anderson? what do they want, the same situation they had in Cleveland. No thanks, I dont.You give Leinart his shot, he’s earned it, resign St Pierre and bring in some undarfted free agents to compete in training camp. Im really starting to lose confidence in the decision making ability of Graves and Whiz. This whole whitehusrt for a 3rd thing is insane. Oh but I get it, Leinart will be gone after 2011, remember they wont spend any money on free agents.

93. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

ALarson —

I don’t remember if Matt’s game in Minnesota set a rookie record, but it could have.

94. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Andrew —

I’m not sure what will happen in the Whitehurst deal.

95. By Dick on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

At least we don’t have to worry about Jake Delhomme coming here and giving the ball away. Too bad we don’t play Cleveland.

96. By Nick Pepe on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

@ Ron-
    Thanks for taking a guess at the % question. Foote now gone, let’s see how good you were at the other 3. I can understand Darren’s reluctance to go out on a limb. Someday. And please folks leave the McNabb talk alone, he is not accurate and especially lacks the leadership skills necessary to be a winner.
    Nick

97. By Ron on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Nick,
    No Problem.
    I understand why DU doesn’t want to answer the %…
    I feel, DU does feel similar with the percentages because i used his articles to dertermine them!
    Once i heard Foote vist the PIT, i knew there was a slim chance.
    Its been reported that Whitehurst was tendered an offer, and i am assuming the AZ have the best offer out there…
    Porter has limited chances.
    Anderson is low chance only assuming Whitehurst accepts. I dont think DA would want to be a part of a team with 2 other “Good” QBs.

98. By Scott H on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Ya know what? Anderson, Bulger, Delhomme…whatever. I can’t get excited about any of them OR anyone else that is available as a free agent QB right now. More than ever, I want to see Leinart really emerge as the QB of this team right now and for the future. Because if it ain’t him….we’re screwed. And for all of these people who keep bringing up McNabb, would you mind telling us what we’re giving up to get him??? Because we aren’t deep enough anywhere to deal from a position of strength, and he is NOT ( one more time, NOT ) worth the first round pick the Eagles seem to think he’s worth.

99. By SH on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

I’d prefer seeing AZ grab a QB who has been around the league in case Leinart goes down. It’s almost certain Matt’s starting…and I’ve heard he’s already working out and preparing for the new season.

I’ve followed Leinart all through his college career and my gut tells me he is going to emerge as one of the top QBs and silence critics. He has the intangibles and skill-set to do it. I remember when scouts were evaluating him his junior and senior years at USC and just about all of them said what set Leinart apart from other QB prospects was his football intelligence and decision making. I don’t think I’d be (cautiously) optimistic about Matt at AZ if I hadn’t followed his college career. Maybe he’ll be “Steve Young” to Kurt Warner’s “Joe Montana?” Or like Aaron Rodgers following Brett Favre after 3 seasons on the bench. Who knows?

I want to reserve judgment until he has at least started a full season and see what he does. Nonetheless, a back-up is needed as insurance.

100. By dylan on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

SH-

i totally agree with you on about everything.. i mean if he has started working out and practicing from what people…. his own teammates have been saying then obviously he wants this job and is whiling to work hard for it