Foote picks Steelers

Posted by Darren Urban on March 14, 2010 – 7:31 pm

Well, I guess I was off-base — or something didn’t mesh here in Arizona. Linebacker Larry Foote is telling people he is going to sign with the Steelers. I outlined why I didn’t think that was going to happen, but again, something didn’t click with the Cards. I will be interested in seeing the numbers. And I am curious to know if it was completely contract-related. I thought it was interesting that the original talks about him going to Pittsburgh said something about passing a physical (which he couldn’t have done yet if he hasn’t gotten to Pittsburgh) and I wonder if there is a medical issue.

Regardless, it doesn’t look like it’s going to work out in Arizona. Oddly, Foote told the reporter he was going back to the Steelers, but also said the Cards remain an option. Until Foote signs, anything can happen. I remember Dexter Jackson once upon a time (and ironically enough) picking the Steelers as a free agent and shunning the Cards, until the Cards swooped in at the last second and changed Jackson’s mind.

We’ll see if the Cards turn elsewhere on the FA market or if inside linebacker becomes the priority in the draft.I know a lot of people have asked about the recently released Andra Davis, although the ex-Bronco is about to visit the Bills tomorrow (and I have no idea if he would even fit here). Still no word on any more visits anywhere by Joey Porter.

UPDATE: Foote signed with the Steelers this morning, a three-year deal worth a reported $9.3 million, with $3.9 million in the first year.

Tags: , , ,

150 Responses to “Foote picks Steelers”

1. By Scott H on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Whatever. I said before I wasn’t gonna get my hopes up for Foote or Porter and, well, I guess I knew what I was doing. IF the Cardinals truly were interested in Foote, then shame on them for letting him leave town. Maybe after Rolle, Foote, and who knows who else will come and go, this crew will realize that when you let a guy leave without a contract, he’s NOT coming back. To all of the people who were so psyched about Foote and Porter coming here…well, who’s next on your list???

2. By JAY on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Why do so many people bag on the teams decisions during this free agency period? Know one knows what the money situation is, how the interviews go and so on!! If your a true CARDS fan I understand the frustration but have faith in ROD AND WIZ!!!! Back up Leinart and the rest of the guys and remember we do this together!!!

3. By frankie on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

wow he was a great player we let slip away he could of easily replaced dansby for way less money.

Darren-

please tell them to just pay the man we need a outside linbacker badly and porter is good and dockett wants him here he actually wants to be here they need 2 get it done before we lose out on another good player.

4. By AG on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Kirk Morrison!!!! I’ll keep dreaming…..

5. By John on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I have posted several times Foote was a stop-gap and I wasnt a Foote fan. With that being said, I thought they needed to get that deal done, since we are real shallow on ILB’s. Can believe he would rather backup instead of start.

But you know where I’m going with this one Darren.
    The Cards need to do whatever it takes to draft my favorite player in the draft, Sean Weatherspoon. He can play inside or outside and even Mike. He is solid against the run and even better against the pass. And unlike Foote (or Hayes), he plays all three downs. This is the kind of leader and impact player the Cards need. (no, I’m not his agent-but I wouldnt mind doing it)

I hope this non-signing leads to this first round pick.

as for Porter, he gives us a proven passrusher and I think he would be a much bigger blow if he doesnt sign.

6. By Ruben R on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

like I said earlier if porter and foote are plan A what’s was plan B we’ll see. i dont think we can go into that draft with a need of OLB and ILB.im pretty sure theres a plan B right?

7. By fighting bird on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

come on guys,give them a break.All the money and begging in the world wouldnt get a player to come to AZ if he didnt really want to be there so we know what caliber coaches we hav and what caliber team we have so why all the sweaten.When Dansby,Rolle ,Boldin left oh well bye.We need a guy whos like Wilson red through and through when his contract was almosr up have you heard a peep from him nope.

8. By Sean on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I really hope Arizona tries to sway Foote to come back here.

Also, Darren, you dont suppose he would be a starter at Pittsburgh do you? I mean, I can’t imagine he would get a better contract there as a backup as opposed to starting here… This sucks

9. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

What the heck is going on? We were so good on signing people the last 2 years?
    I guess we gotta wait and see and hear what the situation is why we arent able to sign these guys?

10. By chad on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

“Foote, 29, visited with the Redskins and Cardinals, and said the Cardinals still remain a possibility.”

I say he’s bluffing, still. the steelers are going to have him as a back-up and I’m sure he’s not so willing to accept that roll. however, here he’d be a starter.

11. By Ben on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Scottt H r u an idiot or am i not reading what u said right if u watched the porter interview he knew whinsenhunt porter did and would love to b a card foote really didnt click here u could tell on the interview i think footes gone but were signing porter no doubt in my mind why becouse we need him amd whiz is a whiz at making things happen that alot of the times rnt even ment 2 b

12. By Pay9-0.com on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Hey don’t worry Cardinal fans,word is graves is going to spend a 3rd round pick for a 3rd string qb!!!!Who cares if we only have 1 LB…Really wish Graves didn’t get that extenstion.

And I’m sorry if I am negative but two years of winning doesn’t erase the years and years of losing.

How much money do they need to save seriously,they don’t have to pay a Rolle or a Dansby or a Bolin….penny penny pushers….

13. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Shaun Hill still sucks.

14. By Jason Terry on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

The Cards know what there doing, there probably planing on drafting a LB, or have other free agents in mind.

15. By bigredrage on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Or, the steelers picked foote.

16. By 98CardsFan on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

This is becoming very irritating. Of all the things to hammer out this offseason why is the team so hell bent on bringing someone in to have Leinart look over his shoulder when its apparent that the defense needs 99.9% of their focus. They were god-awful in the post season and their letting the chance to sign some great leaders slip away. It is starting to look an awful lot like 1998/99 again. Who have they kept? Who’s coming in? It was looking like the draft was becoming the perfect chance to add some depth not it might be back to finding a starter in one area or another along with the pressure of not screwing up the pick. I’d rather have that extra 3rd round pick at this point than a 3rd stringer…

17. By Hammer on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

We have other needs in tne draft. This is something that should of gotten done. We have a severe need for both linebacker spots, and as far as I feel these were the two best options avail. We got our a—- kicked on defense the last two games last year, unless we do something about this and sooner rather then later, it will be worse this year!!!!!!!

18. By Eazy E on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

WTF??? Foote picking the steelers over the cardinals! MAN!!! Scott H bro i agree wholeheartedly. Gotta lock them in a room and make them sign that contract. Andra Davis would be a nice backup option but let’s explore that kirk morrison 3rd round tender again. Come on porter let’s at least get him on board. Foote wants to be a backup rather than a starter, OK??

19. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Sean —

Until everything shakes out, I don’t know exactly what the deal is, although the accounts I have seen have him as a backup in Pittsburgh.

20. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Eazy, Chris —

As I said earlier, the Cardinals were not looking into Morrison. I doubt that has changed, at least at this point.

21. By Chris on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

People really need to practice critical reading skills so that Darren doesn’t have to keep repeating himself.

22. By alex u on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

think he’s lying? i do! I dunno i would do something liek that to make a team give me what i want. Who knows, i’m not worried.

23. By alex u on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

lwe should sign Ian Scott, just incase a NT isnt there in the draft.

24. By Hammer on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

It still bothers me that we are willing to spend a third and maybe a fourth on a QB that hasn’t even thrown a pass in this league when we could spend it on a proven player and one of need like Morrison.

25. By Hammer on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I meant 3rd OR a 4th

26. By alex u on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Hammer has a good point

27. By Chris on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Hammer–

No offense, but if you would have read the article about Charlie Whitehurst, you would of saw that the Seahawks do NOT have a 3rd round pick in this draft, so it’s likely to assume that some type of other offer has been worked around for both the Hawks and the Cards.

28. By mschultz on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I read an article on a website that said the cards have the 5th lowest payroll in the league at 91 million. If the salary cap was in force this year we wouldnt even meet the minimum requirement of 100 million. Im not advocating spending money foolishly. But what happened to the song a dance about if we get a new stadium we can generate more revenue to sign premiere players and build a winner. I am fine wtih not overpaying for rolle and dansby but please replace them. Its not like these guys dont fit the cards defensive system. Davis was an assistant in pittsburgh when foote and porter were there.

29. By darrenurban on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Mschultz —

Clarifying: Davis was last an assistant with the Steelers in 1994. Foote started in Pittsburgh in 2002, Porter in 1999.

30. By Nick on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

This is starting to get a little irritating. I have faith in these front office guys. I understood the guys leaving and didn’t blame management much for that, but when you have a guy who can replace one of the guys you lost, who wants to play here, would start here, and he goes elsewhere to play a backup role, that’s not a good sign. And all this nonsense about Whitehurst, giving up a 3rd rounder to get him and he’ll probably be 3rd string? Common sense says you go with Morrison or you keep your pick. Needless to say I’m a little worried with this front office right now.

31. By DRC#1FAn on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

This just in. Foote isn’t worth crying over. If we can trade up in the draft, or get lucky, we could end up with some really good rookie MLBs and we already have 2 from last years draft. We upgraded losing Rolle, and althouhg I am as anxious as anyone. Hasty decisions are never good ones, at all. And remember, there will be another round of Free Agents as teams Draft players and fill spots. Wish we traded Q for Ray Lewis. lol.

32. By Dan on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Some players just don’t want to play in Arizona, players use us a leverage….it’s all business.

33. By Ditship on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

I would have liked to see Foote here but even if we had signed him I would think we’d still be seeing a MLB in the first two rounds. I won’t lose any sleep over missing him.. I would have rather had him over Porter though. We have a lot of unknown talent at OLB but I got a good feeling about those guys. MLB scares me.

34. By james on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

wow! the cards really screwed this one up. i think they need to get weatherspoon in the draft even if that means trading up. we must sign porter at lest.

35. By Nick on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Do you think there’s any chance the Cards go after Antonio Pierce to fill the hole in the middle? Or do you think maybe they’ll trade up in the draft to secure a Witherspoon/Hughes/Spikes. It’s no secret that there is a humongous hole in the middle of the defense right now for the Cardinals.

36. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Well Cards fans, just to show I have a semi positive attitude, I see thia playing out 1 of 2 ways. Foote is bluffing to push the Cards into making a decision and giving him what he has asked for,(which I cinsider fair in comparison to other free agents), or Pittsburgh is going to give him what he wants because they know what kind of talent and game changer he really is! In which case the Cards are going to lose once again a talented free agent, because they gambled and their, well I am not going there, due to the fact that I don’t want my opinions offending anyone. I refer back to my earier blog, Foote in Pittsburgh, and Porter will land somewhere too, and we will probably sign Lenon. Good luck Coach Whiz!!

37. By John Rennecamp on Mar 14, 2010 | Reply

Remember Foote left Pitt and signed with the Lions. The only possible reason to sign with the Lions is money so I assume he’s just in it for the money.
    Who needs him if that’s the case.

38. By Eazy E on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

If not morrison, we definitely need to go after Andra Davis. He had a good season in the broncos 3-4. 90 tackles and 3.5 sacks. He has alot of experience in the 3-4 not only in denver, but in cleveland. We don’t need to go into the draft with an ample amount of needs. ILB, OLB, NT, TE, maybe even CB, I still say trade for Sheldon Brown with one of those 3rd round picks we have. We would fill our CB need with Sheldon, then get andra to fill the ILB hole and get porter and that would turn OLB from a glaring need to more of a luxury. Come on now cards, we need to make these players visiting tempe arizona cardinals.

39. By Sean on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Nick, I think the Cards will generate more and more revenue if they continue their winning ways, you cant win an entire state over in 2 seasons after the 16 or 17 terrible years they gave us. So revenue will increase.

Also, I think its logical for Foote to claim he’s going back to Pittsburgh in order to get a more desirable contract from the Cardinals or Red Skins. Everything I read about him going to Pittsburgh implies he will be a back up, and that is what Darren is getting as well, and I dont believe he’ll settle for that. Unless he figures he’s getting old and just wants to get paid and do less work, who knows.

40. By Sean on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Edit: 1st half of my comment was meant to mschultz, not Nick, sorry.

41. By Rod on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Same old Cards…cheap! Its not about bulding a winner, its about money. If they wanted to win, they would have signed Foote and Porter last week and they would have brought in a verteran QB to vie for the starting job…mgt is looking at putting a band-aid on a gaping wound and hope they get enough people in the seats to pay for their lackluster effort at building a winner. Whiz can only do so much with the talent he is given…at some point there has to be quality players to work with…we can’t continue to develop young players and then let them go once they are productive and not replace them right away…its a never ending cycle.

42. By Barney on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

I think are LBs should be Porter, Hayes, Witherspoon (rookie) and Haggans.

43. By Shannon Robinson on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Don’t Panic.

44. By Hammer on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Chris, I see what you are saying, but Whitehurst is going to cost us a draft pick no matter how you look at it. It may not be a third, but it will cost us one somewhere. Morrison is a proven solid player and we have 2 third round picks. Yea it would cost us to resign him, but I bet we could still do it cheaper then Dansby.

45. By Greg on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Foote seems to play the leverage game very well. Every team that want to talk to him is “The place I want to be”. He could only saying what his agent wants him to.

46. By NJ on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, that Dexter Jackson move worked out great for the Cards. And after losing the safety, the Steelers drafted Polamalu.

47. By gordo on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

i say draft both of the guys from tcu and just plant them in the starting postiton..and from what im seeing on espn they had everyone watching closley.. if we bring them in 2gether in the nfl after they just spent there college career 2gether they prob will do some pretty good things for our defense.. just an idea..

48. By Jason on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, I am not liking giving up one or our 2 3rd round draft picks for Whitehurst. Wiz brought in Brian St. PIerre from Pittsburgh and I believe that he clearly was not a legitamite back up… I think we could draft Tony Pike in the 3rd… If we wanted to… And he would not be as much money…. As, for Foote and Porter…. It would be nice to see us get at least one of them. Somebody said trust in plan B? for D help…. What might that plan be? I think these 2 were some of the better options available. Hopefully, Foote decides not to sign w/ Pitt and signs here. I would love to have Foote and Porter on our team.

49. By 949cardsfan on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

No suprise to me, I told you so! Either Graves is a worse GM than I thought, or the Bidwells are up to their old tricks. Enjoy Dockett this year, and DRC over the next couple of years, because its becoming obvious that players dont want to play here, or wont get paid here, or both. The only guys that we can sign, or retain, are super character guys, like Fitz, Kurt, and A-Dub. And we all know the NFL isnt exactly full of these kind of guys. And please stop with, wait till the draft, or we are getting a backer in the draft. Im not sold that Graves and Whiz are all that great at the draft game. What elite players have we got since Whiz has been here (other than DRC), and before that we got some players cause we were picking in the top 10 every year, you better be able to draft from there. Im not sold that we have turned the corner yet as an organization. this year and the next will be super critical years in proving this. Everyone still has a lot to prove in my book. Prove me wrong guys!

50. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

3 years, 9.3 mil, certainly numbers the Cards could live with.
    What happened?

51. By Chris479 on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

It’s official. Foote is a Steeler.

52. By Jahstone on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

The thing to rememnber is we only have two financial options to sign free agents…one is roughly 5 mil and the other 2,5 mil??? Regardless…it’s not like we can just throw money at players. Don’t get bent about two 30 somethings with “something” left in the tank…Whiz and Pittsburgh were so good at getting players through the draft and quality free agents. In Whiz we trust!!!

53. By Jahstone on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Source: Foote returning to Steelers

There you go…3.8 mil the first year makes me wonder if they would rather pay Porter than Foote? Don’t get discouraged…there are alot of restrictions on our free agency this year…just ask Darren!!

54. By Chris on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Apparently Foote does indeed pick the Steelers…. as a backup…

Good for him. http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/15/foote-signs-three-year-deal-with-steelers/

55. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

Pierce has had a lot of injury issues. Plus, he is more of a MLB in a 4-3 rather than a 3-4.

56. By Brandon on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Cards absolutely failed on this one. No reason they shouldn’t have gave him that money Pitt dished out, when our lb core is so weak as it is. They better do everything in their power to get Joey now and pray that a quality lb is on the board when its their time to pick….

57. By larry spurgeon on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Incredible!! Foote signed for 3 yrs at 9 million with less than 2 million signing bonus. WHAT IS UP WITH THE CARDS? We gave a backup O lineman the same contract and a starting LB is not worth that? I hope to hell the cards have a B plan and not just draft a player to start!

58. By azcards65 on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

so living in the now! no foote whos arizona gonna persue for lb now.

59. By bigben on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

dear mr bidwell hopefully the support you’ve recieved from your clubs fan base will be enough for you to open up your check book to help keep your franchise where it is. please dont let us down, we suffured for a long time and it would be a shame if this was only a 2 year teaser and back to losing we go

60. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    Well its official on foote, the deal doesnt sound all that great for us not to have been able to match it? Can you find out what were the reasons we werent able to sign him or not pursue him? Is it a medical issue? the length of the contract?

61. By Larry on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Im glad to see the cardinals not overpaying for garbage. LArry Foote doesnt have the speed to cover TE’s or any WRs anymore. Come on the Lions cut him????You guys are all over dramatic. Last week the sky was falling, then they get Rhodes and suddenly everything is oK. Foote and Porter come in(old azz LB’s) and everyone acts like they seen Obama??? Cards dont need these guys-draft a ILB and sign/trade for OLB- and dont over pay. This aint your daddys cardinals anymore….or the browns for that matter-we dont need to over pay egos anymore.

62. By gordo on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

im positine were going to sign lenon and porter today..

63. By John on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Stop the panic !
    First, this is a very deep draft at both ILB and Passrushing OLBs. Hayes needs to be upgraded and I could see the cards take 2 ILBs and 1 OLB in this draft.

Foote played bad in Detroit last year, he is 29yrs old and would be a back up in 2011 with the Cards. Not that big of a loss. Think about it, he is a backup with the steelers.

As I said before, Whitehurst is tutored under one of the best offensive minds in Norv Turner. Besides Peyton and Brady, no one else is beating out Phillip Rivers, so being a backup doesnt mean alot. As for not throwing a pass in the NFL, neither has Bradford and the Rams will make him the #1 pick. The Cards see something in this guy after watching alot of film and meeting with him, but lets not trust Whiz to give up a third for the guy.
    As for Matt, there may not be alot of trust in him. His rookie year looked promising, but not much since. Remember last year, they promised St Pierre the opportunity to beat out Matt as a number 2. You dont see alot of teams doing that with there future QB. I believe Matt can do OK, but I’m not in the meeting rooms or watching coaches film. Bringing in 2 young QBs says alot.

I have been preaching Porter and I would love to see a proven passrusher come here. But if we end up with Cody Brown pairing with rookies Brandon Graham or Jerry Hughes (1st rounders) or Ricky Sapp or Koa Misi(draft picks in the 2nd) as our OLBs, it would be better than last year.

64. By gordo on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

now that foote is gone give them a few min.. im sure graves and whiz are doing something right now..

65. By Barry Bond on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Well, kiss my butt! The Cards would not give Larry Foote (the Lions leading Tackler last year) 3.l million per year for three years? Remember this guy is only 26. Why with all the money we saved by letting DANSBY go to Miami for 43 mil the Cards can’t afford Foote to replace the hole Dansby left? To late NOW Graves and Whiz Foote is a Steeler again. WE LOST OUT!!!!!!

66. By CMacyn on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

So who is Paris Lennon and how does he fit our D.

67. By John on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

949 cards fan,
    Who has Whiz drafted?
    Levi Brown and Steve Breaston were very good picks and starters, and Branch and Patrick are important pieces to this team as backups in 07.
    In 08, besides DRC, they landed Campbell-a very good DE. Not to mention Tim Hightower a solid contributor to the superbowl run. They also added Doucet, a #3 wr, and Brandon Keith, who may start at RT.
    In 09, Bennie was the big pick, And its too early to know what the others can do. But Will Davis showed promise and was solid on special teams. Greg Toler will have a chance to start at CB this year, and Cody Brown is a very good athlete and passrusher in college, who was hurt in preseason. So he is still an unknown.
    If 2010, we land a starting ILB like Sean Weatherspoon, A NT like Cam Thomas, a Passrusher like Koa Misi, in the first 3 rounds, I think the cards arent doomed like you think.

68. By Andre on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Oh wow, I trust whiz and graves have to good plan. I have to admit a lot of fans have to be a the very least, a little concerned now. The Cards organization wouldn’t pony up the money especially if health was a concern or notice something. However, the steelers took a chance and they are a solid organization. Strange

Darren, do you know if the cards offered less money or not?

69. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Kauai —

I am trying to figure that out now.

70. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Barry —

First of all, Foote will be 30 this year, not 26. Second, I am hoping to get more details but I don’t think this was a money issue.

71. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Andre —

I don’t know the particulars. I hope to be able to talk to Graves later today but I don’t know if that will work out.

72. By VoiceofReason on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

This is a classic case of dropping the ball. Foote was a perfect fit and wanted to play here. To a team, that means you have leverage and you get the deal done now. Foote signed for far less than Fujita’s deal.

Paris Lenon? Who cares.

73. By Steve on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Before anyone jumps off the deep end here, the Steelers are an organization falling while the Cards are an organization on the rise.

I bet Graves and Whiz saw Foote and Paris as interchangeable players and Paris obviously was willing to play for less.

I like the move. All that said, we have to get the deal with Porter done. He will be the key to this defense and our secondary in 2010.

I also believe more and more the Cards will be looking at LB/ DE in the 1st round not TE and so many sites are predicting.

74. By Jesus on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

if money is the issue Dockett needs to get paid, we are faithful to the cards, they need to be the same to us.

75. By carlo7000 on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

darren

so at moment we dont a true startre in any of linabacker position…i think we should need 4 round picks in the first 2 rounds

76. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Carlo —

Gerald Hayes and Clark Haggans will disagree.

77. By Justin001 on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Noted that we signed Lenon, a better Beisal, I would imagine.

On a separate topic: What has become of the anticipated WARE signing?

78. By Jesus on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

solid deffence, Lenon locked in to make sure Dockett has his water, a gloified water boy. and whitehurst just what we need at linebacker. ouch! i hope there plan is better then mine

79. By Steve on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

I think Davis, Brown and Lenon would disagree as well

80. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Justin —

I don’t know with Ware. It is curious.

81. By larry spurgeon on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

I have to admit the Cards may have signed the best linebacker of the 3 they were in discussions with. The War Room of Sporting News has Porter ranked as the 36 best LB avaiable in free agency, with Foote ranked 28 and Lenon ranked 19. He is listed as an OLB.

82. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Hayes and Foote are 2 very similar athletes. WE dont want to stack up on run stuffing LBs and tehn b F’d with the big play pass all year like last year. This Paris Lenon guy may be really good against the pass and he may be a filler for Hayes on passing downs and what not. It’s not about who was good lasst year or the year before, it’s who wins games year in and year out. We are a team, we dont need fomrer steelers or former dolphins or jets to fill oour rosters. WE will make our young LB’s look good. lets just hope this time, they trade them before all we can get is a 3rd and 4th round pick for a an elite NFL player, see Anqwan.

83. By gordo on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

darren

is there going to be a new blog later..

84. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Just wanted to say “Thank you!” I know all the cards fans would agree that at least after all these years of following the Cards, its nice to have someone on the ” inside” updating us and keep us as best as you can in the “loop”
    I feel sorry for you at times when you have to field a ton of questions, sometimes knowing as much as we do at that time. So you are very much appreciated!!!
    Mahalo!

85. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Gordo —

Probably.

86. By Sean on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

I believe Lenon has the ability to be great on this team. I mean, 121 tackles with a team that never one a single game? He must have been doing something right (unlike the rest of the Lions).

Foote will be disappointed he didn’t choose the Cardinals when we go to the playoffs, and the Steelers choke again :)

Keep us updated on Porter, Darren! And thanks for all the upkeep so far this offseason

87. By nor cal cards fan on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Just read that we signed Paris Lenon. In his last 32 games as a professional football player his teams have a record of 1-31. That’s one win, and thirty two losses. Is there any chance someone in the media can ask this guy what it feels likes to go 1-31? I hope this is strictly a special teams and depth related signing. Something tells me he doesn’t have a winning mentality.

88. By 1st Time Cards' Fan on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Foote was wayyy too old at age 29, good thing the Cards got Lennon.

OH ! Wait….. Lennon is 32, NVM

89. By Lawrence Miller on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren, can Haggans play ILB in the 34? Thanks.

90. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Lawrence —

Probably not. Haggans as an outside guy.

91. By ryan on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

lets go Rod Graves, get Porter!!!!

92. By james on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

darren,

i hear the eagles are shopping sheldon brown for a 2nd or 3rd rounder. do you think the cards would look into trading one of their 3rd rounders for him?

93. By John on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Cards sign Paris Hilton? That’s hot!

Did Matt have anything to do with that?

94. By Sean on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

NorCal, every player in the NFL has a winning mentality, otherwise, they wouldnt be in the NFL. The team as a whole wins game, not one guy.

95. By carlo7000 on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

my hope is on the draft now…i think there is nothing special free agent now,and we dont have players to use for trades..i hope we will get weatherspoon and daryl washington.

96. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

James —

I don’t see the Cards trading for a cornerback.

97. By Wampag on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

great I have been reading about this Paris guy and I am really un-impressed

The Curse of Bobby Layne Part 2 says:
    March 15, 2010 1:05 PM
    Wow….I’m surprised this guy made it on to any NFL team with the horrific performances he gave for the Lions!

Bad move ‘zona!

Should have given Foote a chance over this guy.

lionsfan54 says:
    March 15, 2010 1:16 PM
    Quite possibly the worst LB instincts I’ve ever seen. He would always on the wrong shoulder of the blocker or pick the wrong hole to plug.

Cardinals fans… get ready to hate this guy

D what gives????

98. By FightON on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Settle down. Two linebackers drafted last year were up for Rookie of the Year – one even picked off KW, one won the DROY. Linebacker is a position that can translate very well right out the gate in their rookie season. Look back at the ones drafted, even in the later rounds, lots of starters. It’s all about defense, I hope that is the main focus.

99. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Gosh, if Lions fans trash him, he must be terrible.

On the flip side, Sando got an evaluation from Scouts Inc. that included this closing line: “Lenon is a good player who been durable, intelligent and productive.” The Cardinals wanted him. They signed him. Is he Dansby or a Pro Bowler? No. Is he even a long-term starter? Probably not. But he’s started a lot and is probably going to be more productive than Ali Highsmith right now.

Foote isn’t here. I don’t believe it was about money. If they weren’t going to bring in Foote, it makes sense to sign Lenon.

100. By julian on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you know where we stand with porter or is they made him an offer???

101. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Julian —

I am sure they have talked numbers with Porter’s people.

102. By moe16 on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

darren- lat us know on the status of porter and the cards

103. By gordo on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

darren –
    yesterday here in bakersfield .. i guess joey porter was at a wwe wrestling event and the word around the crowd was that he was resigning with the dolphins.. which wouldnt make sense.. i think its just local nonsense..

104. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Gordo —

I don’t know if he will be signing with the Cards, but I guarantee his bridges back to Miami have been burned.

105. By Wampag on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey D little Simms was released you think the Cards might look his way outta be cheap

106. By Card's Refugee on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    What do you think the chances are that foote wanted to be in pittsburg all along and just used us to up the price a little.

I am not worried yet. There is way too much off season and a whole draft to go. I am hopeful that we get another ILB before the draft, but only because I really wanted the Cards to be able to pick BPA, not BPA at 1or 2 specific positions. I still trust in Whiz and Graves as well.

PS–Thank you Darren for blogging as much as you do! You are by far the best thing that has happened to this website!

107. By Nick on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Do you know why the Cards aren’t pursuing cornerback help? I know my opinion is just amateur, however I couldn’t help but notice McFadden get burned repeatedly in the playoffs and Michael Adams is just not a good player. I like Toler, but he seems too raw. Have you heard anything on that?

And like Kauaicardsfan said, thank you for your time!

108. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Refugee —

I think there might have been a medical issue that gave the Cards pause with Foote.

109. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up drafting a CB, but I don’t think they will chase one in free agency. They have high hopes for Toler.

110. By k. on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

az turned down foote and choose lenon. this mentality that foote choose not to come to az and that the front office blew it is trash.

111. By Tyrelle on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Is the front office aware that folks are seriously talking about not buying season tickets because of their stupid decisions.

112. By VoiceofReason on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

The cool-aid is a-flowin right now (and I’m usually one of the first at the cooler).

But I think missing on Foote was a mistake. That said, I think the Lenon scouting report is intriguing. I just don’t like signing “good special teams player” to a three year deal and then thinking about him starting. That remings me of sitting in SDS and hoping that fourth round pick will work out as a starter.

Don’t worry, I’m not a hater. Not every one of our team’s decisions will be correct (I still think Rod Hood should have been brought back last year when he was available after getting cut by two teams).

Go Lenon!

113. By Dennis K on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Same old cardinals when it comes to spending money. Let a good player end up elsewhere to get a so so player for less money. Paris Lenon is not the answer to replace Dansby. Watch, we will end up with a poorer defense then we had last year.

114. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Voice —

Healthy skepticism is a good thing. Lenon isn’t the long-term answer. But let’s see who the Cards take in the draft first.

115. By carlo7000 on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

darren but there is some prospect linabacker coming from the draft you will like to see in cardinals jersey

116. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Carlo —

Haven’t delved very deeply into the prospects.

117. By Nick Pepe on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

I do not think the defense will be “poorer” (get an editor) than last years. That being said, we still need depth at LB and corner. And why is everyone discounting Hayes and Haggans. These two can play the game. But depth is an issue.
    Darren – taking another chance here, is Porter 50/50 to land here or are the chances greater than that.
    Nickl

118. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

Have no idea right now. If Porter is serious about playing out west, I believe it is better than 50/50. If he decides to expand his scope to get a better contract, the odds go down.

119. By Vaegrin on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

This one really stings. Losing Dansby gave the Cardinals a glaring hole at inside linebacker. Foote would have been a chance to go into the draft with that hole already patched.

Going into the draft desperate to find an inside linebacker seems more than a little dangerous. Seeing that all it took the Steelers to get Foote was $3.1 million a year and a backup role… I’ll withhold judgment until the offseason moves are complete, but this does not make the Cardinals look good, especially with all the money the Cardinals have saved this year from the departures of highly paid players.

120. By John on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Voice of reason

Wasn’t Warner cut by two teams?

121. By Ron on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

I wouldn’t have been upset if Foote signed with us…i wouldn’t have been celebrating either.
    Its a shame there are no star-powered LBs available. Then again, taht is the reason why Dansby is now the highest paid LB in the league… hes good, not the best, though.
    Id like to see Porter here just to have some name at the LB spot. Having all unproven/underachieving LBs wont help the D that was absent last year when we needed them. Playoffs, 99 yard drive…

122. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Vaegrin —

Again, I don’t believe the reason the Cards passed on Foote was money.

123. By Andre on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

I dont know what the cards are doing we lost antrelle, dansby, okeafor, boldin, berry, and Kurt….. mcfadden has not impressed, we dont have a viable quarterback, and DRC is injured…..and we just signed Paris? what is the deal?

124. By alex u on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Larry Foote must have had a bad physical.

125. By Vaegrin on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

If you’re right, it would certainly make me feel a lot better about losing him to the Steelers. It still leaves the Cardinals in a rough spot at linebacker going into the draft, but if there’s nobody available, what can you do? Here’s hoping the Cardinals can hit a home run on a linebacker in the draft.

Thanks for the response.

126. By fitzis11red on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

I had said that getting Foote was a positive move from a veteran standpoint. That would have been true. But geeze the sky is not falling on the cards people. Check out Foote’s career stats. In his 9 seasons he has 530 tackles, 16.5 sacks ( Porter had more than half that in one season ), 20 passes defended, 3 int’s o touchdowns and 8 FF. Now I don’t know what Dansby’s stats are admittedly, However I can think of 2 TD’s off the top of my head. Not that Lennon’s are better mind you but we are acting like getting Foote would fix our defense. And no one else. The guys we have and the draft will be fine for us.Foote said he wanted to be here and he was lying. He got alot of money to be a backup and THAT is what he wanted. His stats aren’t that impressive to me so good riddence. He is not the be all end all. My gut feeling is the Cards will sign Porter for veteran leadership and develope the young guys. And draft well as always. I know I am repeating alot of sentiments but again. FOOTE is not going to make or break our defense. He wants to get paid so be it. I love being a cards fan because when they went to the Super Bowl, I mean WOW!!! What? Hell yeah. We have absolutely no reason to hate on management because they brought us an NFC Championship. Until we have back to back losing season again I will trust Whiz and Graves. Whisz has yet to have a losing season here and if 2010 is one it won’t last long!!

127. By Dan on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Just signed Paris Lenon. Well our special teams got better but, thats about it. Yawn.

128. By Derek on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Thank you for all the time you put into these blogs.

Anyway, is there any more news on the Whitehurst/Anderson line?

129. By Keith on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Well, atleast the D-Backs (re)signed someone worth a dang today.

130. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Derek —

Not that I know of. With Whitehurst, nothing can happen until he makes a choice.

131. By fitzis11red on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Could some of these “non signings” be the Cards way of being to cautious of the pending 2011 lockout? Maybe they don’t want to sign these guys and then they don’t play in 2011. Who knows?

132. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

fitzis11 —

I wouldn’t be surprised if that could be a factor.

133. By Card's Refugee on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Tyrelle-
    Go ahead and not renew! I have been trying to upgrade my tix for 3 years now. I have gotten 8 rows closer. If you are a lifelong cards fan you will stay! If you are a bandwagoner…..well go ahead and jump, no one is holding ya back!

134. By Scott H on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey, Ben-

I’m an idiot??? Hey, whatever. At least I know how to use capital letters and understand that paragraphs need an occasional period or two to make sense. I can’t even read your post because it makes so little sense. You might want to consider being a little more careful with the term “idiot” until you sound a little less like one yourself. And, hey, if I’m an idiot for my general opinion on how this team is faring during this off-season, then there are sure an awful lot of other idiots who feel the same way! Let’s remember that we’re all passionate about our team ( I have been for over 35 years at this point ) and that we’re all entitled to our opinion.

Do you know if the Cards had made an offer to Foote before he left towm? Because, really, that is the source of my frustration right now. I didn’t feel like we absolutely HAD TO HAVE Foote, myself. But if THEY did, did they make the effort to get him signed??? The Steelers sure didn’t have to break the bank to get him back on their roster, did they?

Ben,

One more thing – try a comma once in a while, dude!

135. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I will have a new story on the home page in a short bit addressing some of these things.

136. By TucsonTim on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Did anybody think that maybe Foote knows Pittsburg and is just going to be more comfortable there. Perhaps if we were willing to spend a lot more we could have gotten him, but I just don’t see it as a big deal. Calm down.

I’m pretty sure that if Whiz thought it was really important to our future, Foote would be a Cardinal.

137. By Drew on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

LOL!!!! All you HATERS!!! Ya’ll so funny….like you guys REALLY know football! Foote is terrible…super soft! So he was on a winning team…SO WHAT!! Lenon (correctly spelled btw), has been a starter for 5 years straight…what is wrong with you people? Yeah, he was on 2 terrible teams..SO WHAT!…he did his job well…he couldn’t do it all by himself! Way more SOLID player than Foote! Obviously the Cards know something you all don’t! I bet he proves you haters wrong! Go Cards!!!

138. By gordo on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

darren
    any word on any tenders being signed..

139. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Gordo —

Not yet.

140. By alex u on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Antonio Piere? Andra Davis? can be starters or maybe Akin Ayodele? or Tracy White? for even more depth or to Challenge Lenon.

141. By alex u on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Akin Ayodele seems good right now

142. By John on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Is it fair to say that the Cards are waiting on Whitehurst before giving Anderson an offer? Or could they sign Anderson and withdraw the offer to Whitehurst?
    Who are they pursuing more ? Feels like Whitehurst.

143. By darrenurban on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

John —

I am going to throw together a blog on everything right now.

144. By James on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

I have been a Cards fan since 1988. I am the Cards biggest defender, but this signing of Lenon(32 yrs old) reeks of penny pinching. They need to get Porter done ASAP. Why would we give up our 3rd rnd pick for Whitehurst, when we can sign Anderson for no picks? Graves has been solid over the last few years (or so we think), but this lack of definitive movement in a tight marketplace is sending the wrong message to fans. I know you are caught between a rock and a hard place, since the Cards employ you, but the organization’s management needs to understand that losing Dansby, Rolle, Q, and Warner in one off-season (although not insurmountable) is going to have a direct impact on the field and a related financial impact in the stands. Maybe they don’t care…as long as the TV revenue keeps rolling in. I think it is time for you to write an article that attempts to summarize the fans concerns and addresses if the organization has truly turned the corner.

145. By alex u on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren do you know whose targeting Akin Ayodele? Are the Cards? Because they really, really should, he knows the 3-4 defense (played for miami for 2 years) consistant starter in the NFL, except he plays where Hayes is but he can play the weak side just fine probably….makes sense to me. And then we dont ahve to force a pick on a LB in the 1st or 2nd round, we can get the best player on the board. Don’t be suprised if there is a meeting set-up this week with Akin.

146. By mark on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey Drew i got to disagree with your post. Lenon got cut by the Packers and could only get a job with the Lions who had a horrible defense. The Pats picked him up last year and they cut him at training camp and the talent starved Rams pick him up and their defense sucked too. When Foote was the starter with the Steelers, he helped them win two superbowls and was a part of a strong defense and never got hurt. The money that Foote wanted was not that much and it doesnt make since to me not to bring in another solid guy thats part of a winning tradition. Foote was also not cut by the Lions, he only signed a one year deal. You call him soft but he did make 99 tackles 2 sacks and a FF on a horrible team. Foote even stated to a reporter he wanted to play for the cards but a deal just didnt get done. Now, we as fans can only speculate on why this didnt happen but as some of the guys on this blog have already stated, I think their are two senarios why he didnt sign. First, the cards are cheap and took Lenon as a cheaper and less talented option, or that Graves screwed the pooch and blew the deal. My guess is Graves attempted to low ball Foote with a cheap deal because he knew Foote wanted to play for the cards and he would have a starting job on a winning team, but money talks and I dont blame him for taking the better money. Graves should have offerred him a decent deal and he would have took it, instead he gives that money to reserve linemen in Hadnot which doesnt make since. Everyone can ask Darren a million times if they made a mistake or why he didnt sign but he still employed by the cards and will give the politically correct answer.

147. By nor cal cards fan on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Sean- I understand your point. But who would you rather sign? A guy who has started and been a major contributer on two Super Bowl championship teams, or a guy who played sparingly on a couple of teams that went a combined 1-31 the last couple seasons? You tell me…and ya i know Foote was with the Lions last year, but that was one season and the rest of his career has been spent winning titles with the Steelers. He knows what it takes to get it done at a very high level [like the playoffs] and you can’t say the same about Lenon. Foote is also younger.

148. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Alex U —

I haven’t heard of any visit scheduled with Ayodele.

149. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Mark —

I guess whatever I say is meaningless to you because of my employment but here was what was written on why Foote didn’t come. And while I would have liked to see what Foote brought to the table, for the ones who have lived and died with this Foote situation — does the fact the team that signed him only wanted him as a backup mean anything? He didn’t sign with the Redskins either.

150. By John on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Amen Darren on that one. Yeah, those 1-31 lions weren’t lining up to bring Foote back either. When thinking about a team with alot of holes like the Lions, and the supposed leadership he has and tutoring of young guys, not to mention his rings, Ask yourself, why didnt the Lions bring him back?

Foote may have started 1/2 to 1 year here until a rookie took over.
    Again , not a big loss