Picking and choosing

Posted by Darren Urban on March 15, 2010 – 10:38 pm

Not a whole lot to add, really, to the story I posted this afternoon. I got the impression from Rod Graves during our brief chat that finding a quarterback aside from Matt Leinart is the top priority right now; that makes sense that, you know, a team would actually want a couple of guys at the most important position. Graves wouldn’t comment on the status of where the Whitehurst negotiations are, including whether the Cards had made an offer (and the same went for the details of any talks with Anderson). Both sounded like they were still in play. There is a lot less headache with chasing Anderson of course, because there isn’t another team involved like there is for the restricted free agent Whitehurst.

As for Joey Porter, I’m taking a wait-and-see. As I mentioned as an answer to one of the comments on a previous blog, until Porter visits elsewhere and another team comes into play, you get a sense of cautious optimism. Like I have pointed out, the combination of a) the right type of defense, b) an opening at his position, c) a city near his hometown of Bakersfield, California and d) a coaching staff with with he is comfortable just seems too smart for the two sides not to eventually come together. And until there is another team that brings him in for a visit, I’m not sure of Porter’s options anyway.

Tags: , , , ,

62 Responses to “Picking and choosing”

1. By Sean on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the late night update, the internet usually gets dull between 8pm and noon the next day, so you just made my night! Haha.

Darren, curious as to who you think will have the best shot at getting the starting position for QB. I mean, Matt’s an easy choice just because he’s supposed to be our ‘golden boy’ so to speak. But on a performance only approach, do you think Anderson has a good shot at stealing the spot light? Do you think he will be able to play much more effectively in AZ?

2. By BDMag on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for keeping us up to date Darren. I’m guessing you’ve been somewhat besieged with comments and opinions on FA so far. I think most of us fans would like to believe in what this team is doing but considering the tremendous losses so far, it is hard to shake past memories of let downs when up until the last couple years, that is really all there was with this organization.
    However, it is the success of the past couple years and the recent resigning of the man most of us think is really responsible for them, that is keeping Cards fans from going completely nuts. I’m sure he’s got a plan… or two. But I’m not gonna lie, I think a lot of us would breathe easier with Porter.
    But we trust Whiz, and for right now, I think that is what we are all holding onto.

3. By robb on Mar 15, 2010 | Reply

Even if the cardinals sign Charlie Whitehurst they would still need a third quarterback, plus they lost their wildcat guy in Rolle, and they need a big receiving tight end to stretch the field. For Linehart, wouldn’t drafting Tebow take care of all those things with one pick?

4. By mark on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

E) none of the above because Graves standing order is to completely low-ball every free agent ever including Kurt Warner last year and Porter will sign somewhere else because the offer the cards will give will be insulting. For all those that are completely drinking this Kool-aid of the cards organization trying to field the best team, i think someone (expletive) in it.

5. By Eazy E on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

We need to go on and get joey, now i heard he wants 6m a year, he’s not going to get that i don’t think. He goes down a little to about 5m a year or somewhere around that, he’s a cardinal. I would rather the cards get anderson a 2 or 3 year deal and move on, but the cardinals must really think highly of whitehurst to wait it out like this. In my opinion, get porter and anderson and andra davis to fill our holes at OLB, QB, and ILB.

6. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

What round did the Chargers draft Whitehurst? and what year? same for Anderson, what round did he go in and for what draft class? just curious and lazy =)

7. By Brandon on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Good news,

Thanks Darren

8. By SB on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

is steve breaston staying with the cards?

9. By Todd on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren I hear Graves opened up negotiations to re sign Rackers. Is that correct?

Personally I would rather see the Cardinals upgrade there with a younger stronger more consistent leg. Rackers kickoffs have slowly gotten shorter and shorter and his propensity to miss game winning kicks has made Rackers expendable. Unless of course Graves wants to sign Rackers as a special teams wedge buster. Rackers has to be hands down the best tackling kicker of all time.

10. By cards302 on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

How long do the chargers have to make a decision on the offers? feels like its been two weeks!

God I love this team! No matter what situation they are in they always seem to keep me on my toes :).

11. By Jahstone on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren…any word from Graves on why they didn’t sign Foote?? Perhaps he wanted more money as a starter here than a back-up in Pittsburgh?? Just seems like he would be a better fit than Paris, but perhaps there were some underlying reasons…

12. By Barbara wurzbach on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I really like your info. Great job!!! How do you think cards are doing so far with free agency? Why call free agency when nothing is free!!!

13. By FightON on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

From Larry Fitzgerald’s Tweet:

Yep,he’ll b ready.He’s even training w/ us in MN this summer RT @victorochoa95: do u think that matt leinart is the right QB 4 the cards? about 3 hours ago via UberTwitter

The battle begins, no matter who the Cardinals draft apparently.

14. By wombatlord on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

darren,

i was wondering why you consider this a week draft class? when most draft websites and anaylisists say its one of the deepest talented drafts in a long time.true jake locklear may not be coming out this year but there are still Mccoy,clausen,and bradford all seniors and considred alot better then last years class, people even say in the 3rd and 4th rounds they can find a starting QB in people like jevan snead, jhon skelton, and tony pike. your thoughts darren?

15. By wombatlord on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

also theres dan lefevour and jarret brown

16. By Tracy on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

LEFEVOR!!!!! GO CMU!

17. By Richard Dennis on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Do you think the cardinals will go after someone like a Donavan Mcnabb ? He seems to have the same sort of presence as a Kurt Warner.
    RDennis

18. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Sean —

Nothing has happened to make me think Leinart won’t be the starter, at least to open 2010.

19. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Robb —

Tebow wants to be a QB. I don’t know how that would affect the tight end position.

20. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

To all Cards fans, here comes another worthless opinion. We need to stop begging and pleading with upper management sign these free agents the fans so desperately want. Why? Well, I have come to a concusion, their not listening and they don’t care. I pulled up the top 25 LB’s list available, and Paris Lenon was not on it. Now if Management wants to say that they did not sign Larry Foote because of a possible foot injury, so be it, if it helps them sleep better at night. Now joey Porter was in the top ten. My gut feeling, because no other teams have reported interest in him, the Cards are waitng him out to lower his asking price, then maybe! They keep preaching that they are going to do what is best for the team, what they actually mean is what is best for their pockets! Gotta go, more to come later!!

21. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

DRC#1 —

Whitehurst was a third-round pick. Anderson was a sixth-round pick of Baltimore.

22. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

SB —

23. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Todd —

You hear that because I was the one who wrote it.

24. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Cards302 —

The Chargers will have a week to make a choice after Whitehurst signs an offer sheet. As far as I know, he has not done that yet, and it hasn’t been confirmed that the Cards have even extended an official offer sheet. I don’t know about Seattle.

25. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Jahstone —

There were underlying reasons, which I wrote about.

26. By carlo7000 on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

darren can you tell me when charlie whiterhurst has to make a choice between arizona or seattle

27. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Wombat —

The draft class overall is strong. But everyone I have talked to, from scouts to the pundits like Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock, say the quarterback draft class is weak. Bradford is by far the shining star. People are split on Clausen. Everyone else has potential, but enough holes that it’s questionable they can succeed on this level.

28. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Carlo —

He’s got to have an offer sheet first, and I haven’t had that confirmed he has that yet.

29. By Feather on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I honestly dont think porter or foote was the answer to the Linebacker position. I didnt like the idea of the organization becoming a retirement home for overated old linebackers. When need a young corp. Ala Clay Matthews, Keith Brooking, Ray Malaluga. Patrick Wilis type players dont get aquired in 30 + of age.
    We need more CB’s Mcfadden is not the stater we want. I think that the reqruitment needs to be a little more of a science. Not just what former Steelers players can we pick up.
    Darren I am tired of hearing news on Profootballtalk.com before you break news on the cardinals. Mike Florio has a serious annoyance with the cards.Your our guy you should be posting these things first. Foote??

30. By Ben on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Hey D,

I was thinking this morning that a possible reason for not signing Porter yet is the rule of 8 restrictions. Porter is going to have a higher contract number than most of the other FA that we have been signing. If his is large then it limits the number of smaller contracts we can sign. Am I correct on that? So maybe if the FO is looking at two or three other FA that equal our limit it would prohibit us from signing those two if we signed Porter. Is there any truth to that or should I stop thinking?

31. By carlo7000 on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

sorrry darren help me understand one thing. i m from italy(soccer country) and is just few years i follow football..i heard arizona like seattle made an offer to whiterhurst ,after 48 hours the player has to choose one of the 2 team,after that san diego has a week to match the offer if they wanna keep the player,right?

32. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Feather —

What is Florio writing before me? And he’s not breaking anything. He might be linking to ESPN or something, but he’s not breaking anything.

33. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Ben —

The rule of 8 has nothing to do with Porter’s possible signing.

34. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

ok. so whitehurst is a 3rd round QB, lets give them our 3rd round pick, shoot, we got pick 26, might as well be a 4th round pick. Sign Anderson, casue he has game, its in there somewhere. Who cares if we get some old a$$ linebackers or not. Seriously. The NFL is about who you draft and who you bring up in the NFL. For example, remember Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith? along with other Dallas Stars. Were all drafted in one year by Jimmie Johnson, you know how he got those picks? he traded the all time leading rusher at the time, Hershall Walker. The fans wanted to kill him. I mean, it was like us now, their team had gaping holes at QB, HB, SS, LB’s. Sure, the boys only one like 1 game on Emmitts and Troys rookie season. But, hell, after that, I dont hav eto tell you guys what became of their franchise.

35. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Carlo —

If Whitehurst signs an offer sheet, the Chargers have seven days to match the offer.

36. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Think about when you buy a car. How many miles are on it? How much work has been done to it? WHen the dealer sits down with you and gives you the numbers. You are trying to get the monthly payment lower. So you put a big down payment (signing bonus). Or you could say, the car is not for you. And you can go with a different car.

37. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I also wanted to talk about foote a little bit. I wouldn’t read to much into him saying he wants to be a cardinal. He said that about the detroit lions last year. So what did the lions do. Scheduled him a visit and paid him a pretty good contract. Who wants to go to the lions. The cards could see through that. I am not saying he is not a good player, and that he wouldn’t have fit here, becuase i wouldn’t know until the mid point of the season. It seems to me he is preying on the teams in need, this year he couldn’t do that. So he went back to where he knew he would be accepted.

38. By spitfire772 on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I’m not too upset about not signing Foote because it seems like he wanted too much money and may have had injury concerns. We do need to sign Porter however. Those of you saying we shouldn’t sign old FA’s need to look at the facts. We don’t have a true pass-rushing OLB. Porter is a pure pash-rusher (9 sacks despite not playing a full season last year). We need a veteran to hold down the spot for a year or two to groom the young guys (Brown, Davis, etc.). We need somebody who will fit into the system… Seems like Porter would be a great fit for the right price. My opinion on Rackers is that we shoud sign him. He still does well on kickoffs and FG’s because he still has a strong leg. His onside kicks and tackling are the best in the league, plus he’s been a Cardinal since ’03. We saw with Nugent last year that you’re not going to find a great kicker on the market, so we should at least give Neil a chance to redeem himself for the Packers kick.

39. By latch on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Did you see the Pro Football Focus safety ratings: ?

Rhodes #2
    Wilson #11
    Rolle #67

40. By Chris on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I think Foote was never really that interested in the Cardinals. Why would he go to his old team that didn’t want to cough up the money for him to stay and give him a backup role?

Obv. money was not an issue here with Arizona, but I think he was probably not sure how our record will be with Leinart at the reins (I believe Leinart will show a lot of people a thing or two unexpectedly). This article makes it seem like all he cares about is winning (what player doesn’t; http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/16/foote-thank-god-i-didnt-sign-a-long-term-deal-in-detroit/) but I think that impacted his decision as well.

We will be fine without him and we will add depth through other free agency moves or by ways of the draft. Have faith guys.. this coaching staff and front office have shown 2 years straight that we have a winning team and are making the right moves.

41. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

In your opinion can Taylor Mays be converted to ILB and if he happens to be there at #26, do you think the Cardinals would take him.

42. By Dick on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I think if we don’t get Whitehurst, he & Seattle will kill us twice a year when he starts playing. Anderson hasn’t been accurate since his good season. We don’t need him anymore than we did Delhomme.

I’m a huge Warner fan. I’m a big Mater Dei H.S. & USC fan, thus a Leinart fan. I hope Leinart can become Warner, for the sake of us all.

43. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Words —

Taylor Mays is a safety. He won’t be a linebacker. If he is there, I doubt they take him given they already have Rhodes and Wilson.

44. By Derek on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

What other QBs are the Cards looking at since Anderson and Whitehurst are on the fence and Bulger is still a Ram?

45. By alex u on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Can We just sign, Akin Ayodele, Joey Porter, Tye Hill, Derek Anderson and Neil Rackers, so i can be happy.

46. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Derek —

None right now.

47. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Alex U —

I’ll let Graves know.

48. By John on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

DRC#1fan
    Aikman was drafted #1 overall in ’89 along with Moose Johnson, Stepnoski
    The trade happened in Oct of ’89 for Walker and gave dallas the #21 pick in ’90. The Cowboys traded up to 17 to get emmitt along with several other picks in both 90 and 91.
    Troys rookie year they were 1-15
    Emmitts rookie year, they were 7-9

But I dont get the point? Are you saying we trade somebody who the fans love to get lots of draft picks?

49. By Scott H on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Looks like the Cardinals are taking a “wait and see” approach as well, Darren! It’s getting old. Every day, other teams are making deals, getting guys signed. The Cardinals just keep on waiting and seeing and they’re getting very little accomplished. In my humble opinion, they are doing a lousy job this off-season. So many key components of the team that was so successful over the past two seasons are gone and there’s virtually nothing coming in the door to fill the voids. Very frustrating…

50. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

Seems to me we have had this conversation before, but I am guessing you would have signed everybody to exactly the money they wanted, right?

51. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Scott H sits by his phone waiting for whiz and graves to call him and ask him how they are doing. Sorry Scott, i am not trying to attack you. The cards are going to do what is best for the cards. Foote played in a 4-3 last season and he just wanted money. Joey Porter is an older guy playing a position where one injury can end productivity for the rest of your career. (shawn merrimen) Charlie Whitehurst has tore it up in the pre season but it still a mystery. Derek Anderson had one really good season with the browns, and then fell off the face of the earth. Saying that, not every free agent aquisition is going to be the sexy one. Still have to pay the draft pick too you know. We can’t look at big names the way Al Davis looks at fourty times…

52. By fitzis11red on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

The sense I get is that sooo many factors go into signing a player than just the dollar amount. Apparently other than QB, they say this is a very deep draft. I think the Cardinals are being smart and preparing for the future; looking past 2011 and the possible lockout. By the way, literally as I type this, NFL network reports Porter has a scheduled visit to Washington on Thursday. Too far from Bakersfield. If he signs with them, oh well. In my opinion it would be all about money at that point for him. It’s all about money for the Cards to. Why pay old guys when they have proven to be able to develope their own players? You know the more this goes on I begin to trust the FO more and want the FA’s less.

53. By fitzis11red on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Man I love being a Cardinals fan! I mean that literally!!

54. By fitzis11red on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

The Washington visit is what I would call leeverage…..

55. By fitzis11red on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Thank you for all your patience. Thank you for your info and insight. Thank you for being our man on the inside. Man, with out you we would know very little. Seriously!!!

56. By chiconomy on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

With all due respect, I’m not sure how you can mock the feelings expressed by Scott H. Let’s take a step back and look at the big picture… the Cardinals have lost Karlos Dansby, Antrel Rolle, Anquan Boldin, Kurt Warner (retirement), Bertrand Berry (retirement), and likely Chike Okeafor (age). So far, and I realize it’s only March, to address these losses, the team has traded a 4th and a 5th for Kerry Rhodes (you’d have a hard time convincing most objective observers that Kerry is on Antrel’s level, but I realize it’s probably difficult for you to be objective with the bullets flying at you daily), signed Rex Hadnot (which I support to continue improving depth), Paris Lenon (not even close to Dansby’s caliber- whether you want to be objective or not) and Steve Baggs (again, not even close to the proven players you had in Berry and Okeafor). The draft is still 36 days away, yes, but Darren, every team gets to participate in the draft- every team gets better every year through the draft- you can’t make some argument that the Cardinals are going to have this unbelievably successful draft relative to the rest of the league and that’s what is going to offset the aforementioned personnel losses. If anything, it’s the opposite- two of your division foes each have 2 first round picks. The Cardinals have 1 extra 3rd round pick (and hopefully a 3rd extra with a compensatory pick), but that hardly positions them to have a remarkable draft relative to the rest of the league. Of course, we’re all going to say how good we feel about the players the Cardinals draft this April like we do every year- like every fan base is saying in every NFL city after the draft. And I’m sure Graves and Whiz will find a couple of gems, but you know very well that you can’t point to those guys and say they will equal the talent lost in Dansby, Boldin, Berry, Okeafor, etc. (I’m being optimistic in considering Rhodes an adequate replacement for Rolle); I think we’ve all learned from history that every time you set yourself up to rely on a rookie draft pick to make a big impact by replacing a proven veteran or simply upgrading existing talent at the position, you really set yourself up for disappointment- case in point Cody Brown from last year. We all knew that the Cards had a deficiency at the pass rushing position and we all hoped that Cody would upgrade our talent there, but unfortunately, he didn’t get the chance with his injury. If we go into the draft again this year saying that we are going to depend on rookie draft picks to replace Dansby as one of our middle backers and at the same time replace and provide an upgrade to Berry and Okeafor at the outside backer/pass rushing positions, I really think we’re setting ourselves up for disappointment again. This is not to mention the obvious need at NT to replace Bryan Robinson, the upgrade most think is needed at CB over Bryant McFadden (I think this is a very under-emphasized deficiency on this team) and additional depth needed at FS (especially if Ware isn’t re-signed) and DE (Campbell and Docket are cornerstones, but I’m not sure the depth is really where you’d like to see it). Anyway, I realize that the parity in the NFL is such that every team has needs every year that simply can’t be addressed through all available avenues. But I think as you’ve said yourself several times, your goal is to go into the draft with as few glaring needs as possible so that you’re able to take the BPA. I think we are all frustrated right now because this free agency class didn’t have much to offer to begin with, making it even more important that a team quickly and decisively identify those handful of players who can replace departing talent and upgrade/improve depth at areas of need. Thus far, the trade for Rhodes and the one and only unrestricted free agent signing in Hednot does not demonstrate the decisiveness and sense of urgency we were all looking for given the losses of huge pieces of this team in Dansby, Rolle, Boldin, Warner, etc, etc…. If we look at the amount the Bidwills have been able to reduce pay roll (whether it was intended or not) through Kurt’s retirement and the departures of Rolle, Dansby and Boldin combined with the absence of a minimum spending requirement that a typical capped year would bring and the reputation of this organization not exactly being aggressive when it comes to spending money to keep their own talent (just in the last 2 years, we’ve seen Calvin Pace, Antonio Smith, Karlos Dansby, Antrel Rolle and Anquan Boldin sign contracts the Cardinals weren’t willing to provide before they became free agents or were traded) or acquire new talent, I think you can see why season ticket holders are very skeptical at how the offseason is playing out so far. Credit is deserved for stepping up and paying Whiz what he deserves, but the fact that the team won’t spend money on an indoor practice bubble a la ASU’s and hasn’t retained or acquired a notable unrestricted free agent is cause for the type of concern Scott H is raising. If this team goes into the season with the 5th lowest payroll in an uncapped year, isn’t willing to pay for an indoor practice bubble, and elected not to give Dansby, Rolle and Boldin the contracts they eventually received (and I realize that they eventually stepped up for Rolle, but where was that offer before he tripped to NY? If I’m going to buy what I feel like is an underpriced stock, I don’t wait to let the open market tell me that it’s underpriced), you can’t argue with fans’ skeptcisim and reluctance to embrace this team with the same optimism and enthusiasm you’ve seen in recent years. Once again, we will all reduce our expectations and guard our emotions, but maybe this is what the Bidwills want, perhaps expectations have risen to a point that makes them uncomfortable and this is the offseason we go back to just hoping that games are still relevant in November rather than really taking a stand in the division and sending a message that this team isn’t regressing even with the loss of Warner. I’m sure you’ll ask, “well, what did you expect them to do this offseason?” Well, I think that question has been answered many times in this post- they could have started by keeping their own core pieces in Dansby, Rolle and Boldin (yes, I realize Boldin apparently wasn’t interested in re-signing with the team, but that’s only because the team elected not to address his situation sooner, which is scarier similar to the same territory we are now entering with Darnell Dockett). I don’t necessarily disagree with Plan B for Rolle, but you’re not going to convince me that Rhodes is any where near Rolle’s level- let’s just use the market as our judge. Rolle signs one of the 2 highest contracts ever for a safety next to Bob Sanders and the Cards are able to acquire Rhodes for a 4th and a 5th- I think that tells you all you need to know. I’m sorry, but Arizona wasn’t the only team aware of Rhodes’ situation with the Jets. That said, I can move on from Rolle, but I really struggle with losing Dansby- we have nothing even close to his talent level at the position on this roster. Maybe Haggans, Hayes, Lenon, Brown, Davis, and Baggs will disagree, but clearly the market would not support that view (again, the economic value of Dansby’s new contract with Miami is the scorecard). I’m deeply disappointed that a better Plan B wasn’t immediately enacted. Maybe Plan B is a versatile LB like Whitherspoon in the draft (if he’s still there at 26), but again, by not having a legitimate Plan B available in free agency (Lenon is not a legitimate Plan B unless reducing payroll in an uncapped year is truly the #1 objective) only limits your ability to truly improve from last season via the draft. If you’re constantly drafting to fill glaring needs, you aren’t getting any better. It’s unfortunate that you can’t be more objective in your posts- the objectivenss that would have been required if you were still a journalist with the Tribune (on a personal note, I don’t fault your career decision at all- I think time has proven your decision wise). I’m just very disappointed in what I view as a lack of transparency with the team’s offseason goals and objectives. Yes, you gave us the whole “business as usual” article, but I’m sorry Darren, losing the guys we’ve talked about here is not “business as usual.” We all expected greater clarity and decisiveness. Did I miss a sit-down interview with Rod Graves with the type of pointed, “real” questions we would expect a journalist to ask? Why are we all reading about developments with the Cardinals on profootballtalk.com, in Sando’s blog, on foxsports.com, etc. before the organization will drop any information- even to their web coordinator Darren Urban? It just continues to reinforce this perception that the Cardinals are hiding more sinister objectives- i.e., taking full advantage of the total absence of a minimum spending requirement in an uncapped year. If that view is unfounded, the team just needs to come out with a more proactive, transparent approach with the fans. If it’s none of the fans’ business, then don’t be surprised by the drop in season ticket renewals this year.

57. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Chico —

If I’m not going to convince you, if the Cards are sinister, why do you even bother reading what I write?

58. By Ven aka Ninjamonkey on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Gota Love the off season it brings out the best in everyone lol.

Doing a Great Job Darren thanks for the great blogs Love reading your stuff.
    This is a pretty different offseason then where used to guys with the uncapped year and the final 8 special rules the possible black out. so im sure its a bit of a headache to work in these conditions. I’m not saying graves and his staff cant work in it but there probably doing the best they can and I promise you there trying to do whats best for the team… they may be wrong but im sure there is no sinster motives (i hope so anyway lol) I would of prefered to not lose a bunch of players this offseason but we did and hopefully the FO works to get some productive albiet maybe not as big and flashy of names as we would like but if porter really does want 6 mil a year do you really want to sign him up to a 3 year 18 million dollar contract especially when he is 33 and one of those years there may not even be playing football so we have to pay him 6 million while he gets a year older or at least whatever his guaranteed money is anyway.

its still early in FA we still have the draft to look forward to and some young guys could step up in a big way… superstars have to start somewhere. oh and its just football so dont get to bent out of shape the world is still round and spinning so its all good.

59. By Big D on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

the only loss i am really thinking we cant get over is kurt. dansby was no ray lewis or any other great linebacker out there he was good but not great, roll is definitly a hit or miss safety, and berry was getting old 6 sacks is alright but there are players out there that can bring the heat better now, I feel we can still win this season if matt does his job right.

as far as the cards go they always seem to find ways to lose good talents like simeon rice but Its whatever

60. By fitzis11red on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Good post Ven. You know what I can’t seem to get my head around is the fact that this team has not had a losing season in 3 seasons under Whisenhunt. Even when Leinart and Warner shared starting time in ’07. Played in big time regular season games and won some. 2 min. away from winning the Super Bowl. This franchise had not had this kind of success since 1976. For crying out loud I was only 4!!! lol!! Does management not deserve the benefit of the doubt for now? This FA class just simply sucks. Period. If they could bring in someone young for the right price I know they would do it. Been doin’ it for 3 years. I understand the fear of reverting back to same old losing ways. Scary thought. But, given FA class and the draft…..Their doing all they can do I believe. It is odd that Rolle and Dansby didn’t want to be here even when the Cardinals gave comparable offers. I really wish I knew what those circumstances were. But sometimes these things happen to good teams.

61. By Scott H on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

chiconomy –

Thanks for your support…man, you had a lot on your mind, didn’t you???

Ctownbeatdown-

Well, thanks for not attacking me. Truth be told, I don’t sit by the phone waiting for Whiz to call! And if I were him, I wouldn’t call me, either! I know most of my posts have been a tad negative lately, but it’s really a reflection of my passion for this team. Come Sunday, I live and die with the Cardinals. Period. And with all my pessimism, believe me – NO ONE hopes I’m wrong more than me!!! I’m not crazy about the moves that are being made so far, but do I hope that every one of them comes up Aces for the Cardinals? You bet I do!

Darren-

Um…ditto for the sentiments above! But you’re going off the deep end a little bit yourself there, too! No, certainly I don’t think they should ( or could ) just sign EVERYONE to whatever money they wanted. I know that’s not happening. But from the other side of that extreme, who HAVE they paid so far to either stay here OR to come here??? Dansby, Rolle, and Boldin were all seen as big-time acquisitions for the teams that got them. Combine their depertures with Warner’s retirement, and that’s a lot of money not spent. Well, can you tell me what acquisitions made by the Cardinals to this point could be described as big time? I’m sorry, I don’t think that’s necessarily negative…I think it’s a legitimate question. And don’t get me wrong – I don’t want to see them spend money just because they have it to spend. I want to see some additions that help in the areas where we have lost key players. To this point, I don’t see them. We may disagree, but I hope that any similarity between me and a total idiot is purely coincidental!

62. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

Trust me, if I thought you were an idiot I wouldn’t keep conversing with you in these comments. I know you’re just passionate. And while we disagree, at least you make an effort to reasonably explain your criticisms. Most of the time. :)