Feeling restricted

Posted by Darren Urban on March 16, 2010 – 4:27 pm

Not a whole lot happening here in Tempe today, but as I see the stories coming out about Saints restricted free agent Mike Bell possible signing an offer sheet with the Eagles, it did strike me as an interesting topic. Because there are so many RFAs this season because of the uncapped year (making players with four and five years of experience restricted instead of unrestricted) there is a school of thought teams will make pushes for those RFAs as the free-agent period moves on. If there are some players switching teams, it could impact the draft since picks will be changing hands.

The Cards are in the middle of such a situation as they consider quarterback Charlie Whitehurst. In a normal capped season, he’d be unrestricted. But now he is under a third-round price tag (plus the specter of the Chargers stepping up to match any offer given), making any pursuit more difficult. The Cards don’t want to lose both Whitehurst and Derek Anderson, but that could happen if Whitehurst were to sign any offer sheet and then the Chargers were to take their time.

Another interesting possibility of RFAs: The Cards’ own players. The RFAs have until April 15 to sign an offer sheet from another team. Would some team come knocking for Steve Breaston, knowing they would only have to surrender a first-round pick? Or a second-rounder for Deuce Lutui?

I’m fairly certain we’ll still see the Cards’ RFAs around when the voluntary offseason program begins March 29. All of the RFAs — the guys who have yet to sign their tenders — are usually seen at the workouts. Lutui, Breaston, Ben Patrick, Lyle Sendlein and Gabe Watson are those affected (Watson and Patrick have already been making appearances).

Tags: , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Feeling restricted”

1. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I’d like to see the cards get a higher first or second round pick. I’d give up Breaston for a first rounder if it were the rams or someone else in the top 10. but, I like defense and running the ball. I’d like to see Fitz be our #1 reciever and Beanie tear it up on the ground. While we have some great young defense of players comming up to win games for years to come.

2. By Derek on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you know if there are any other QBs on the RFA list?

3. By Rich on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Any news on Matt Ware?
    Rich

4. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Rich —

5. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Derek —

I haven’t looked, but it doesn’t much matter since these two are the two the Cards are targeting.

6. By pjdylan on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I want Breaston back. I love the man. I think he will be the perfect replacement for Anquan. Do what you can to bring him back Darren!!!

P.S. I know you have no control over this but you do work for the Cards so that should carry some weight. :)

KEEP BREASTON!!!

7. By generic cards fan on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

darren, any news on a possible CB upgrade? i would love to see someone replace mcfadden as our #2 since i dont think mcfadden is worthy of being a #2 CB

8. By Scott H on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Look, Anderson doesn’t really excite me all that much but if the Cardinals want him and don’t want to risk ending up with neither him or Whitehurst, then THEY BETTER SIGN THE GUY!!! Do they need to lose out on ANOTHER player because they were indecisive and dragged their feet again??? Man, this is getting annoying! If it’s Anderson they want, then step up and sign the guy. Done. End of story. They don’t have to be in a position where they’re being “held up” by the Chargers. This team is setting new standards for getting very little accomplished during the off-season. It makes me wonder if they really have a plan at all…

9. By Dave on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren? Shouldn’t we be hearing what Whitehurst decided soon? I thought word would come back today sometime…

10. By Cory on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Seeing what you wrote about how Watson is coming in now for workouts, even though he is an RFA, made me want to share my experience with him.

I have twice had opportunity to meet him. Both times I was with my 6 year old nephew and his friends waiting after a game for autographs. Both times Gabe pulled his car over and got out of the vehicle to sign for every kid asking for an autograph. The second time, that meant about 20 kids.

I think one of the hardest things for a team to judge is character. Gabe has it. Glad to hear he is working out, and I hope he is part of our team for a long time.

11. By William on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

We COULD match any offer another team gives to Steve, right?

12. By Ruben R on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

What about antonio pierce?

13. By Derek on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

So what do they do if they don’t get either?

14. By Eazy E on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

We definitely don’t need to lose out on both DA and whitehurst. Regarding breaston, he is a terrific wide receiver, but a #1 would be extremely hard to turn down. Deuce also for a #2 would be hard to turn down also especially since we have hadnot on our o-line now. We need both players though.

15. By bwilson on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Why won’t the Cardinals get Whitehurst in here before he goes elsewhere? He’s worth the 3 just to see what he can do, at the worst, he’s a backup and the best, skies are the limit. The kid has a giant arm with good accuracy. He’s well worth the risk but will probably lose him to our division rival and then he will light us up-oh well

16. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Generic —

If you are asking if they are going to chase any FA CBs, I don’t think that’s the plan.

17. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

But what if they want Whitehurst more?

18. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Dave —

I’m not positive the previous reports were accurate.

19. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

William —

And I believe they would.

20. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Ruben —

What about him? I’ve answered this more than a few times.

21. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Derek —

How about we cross that bridge when we come to it.

22. By BDMag on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

If Breaston and/or Duece sign offers for another team, I don’t see it happening BTW, this franchise needs to keep them. Not just try this time. The Cards have lost too much this offseason to think they would be OK getting picks in return for either player. While the draft always brings optimism, every single pick, no mater how well researched is a chance. Breaston and Lutui have already proven they can not only play in this league, but they are starters. As far as the DA/Whitehurst situation goes, Whitehurt might have upside but DA has proven he could be a capable back-up and fill in in a pinch. If either of them are seriously considered for the starters role next year, Matt is done and the season’s success will be in serious question.

23. By fitzis11red on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Forgive me if some of the people that are saying they are willing to give up Breaston for a #1 are not the same people complaining about losing players and FA’s. But to me, WOW!! I mean people are so upset at the FO and screaming we can’t keep or sign anybody that letting any of are tendered players go, especially Breaston, just seems ludicrous. Even for high draft picks. Then I guess we could say we would officially be in rebuilding mode.

24. By Jesus on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

hadn’t thought about that, what are the possibilities of breaston leaving. that would not be good for us even though it would be 1st rd. still big loss for something unproven

25. By Tbru on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Why won’t the Cardinals get Whitehurst in here before he goes elsewhere?

We gave him an offer sheet, we can’t do anymore at this point. it is up to him and The Chargers at this point.

26. By James B on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

Thanks for the updates. Looks like porter will visit the skins on Thursday. I hope washington offers him less than what he is willing to take. It would be nice to see the cards pick this guy up. I think anderson would be a better fit for the cards. We need to keep our picks so we can add depth. Darren do you think the cards are interested in any of the RFA’s out there?

27. By Nick on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I’d like to see them go after a someone who can start. It looks like we will have very solid backups. But then again, I use to think Kurt was a great a backup, man was I wrong!

In Whiz we trust! He seems to make the right decisions. The path he seems to go is a solid starting team. Our depth, especially on D, has been questionable. Maybe that’s the plan, rotation and compatition at every position. . .

28. By Patrick on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Joey Porter scheduled with Redskins Thursday. Ut oh.

29. By mschultz on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I just read on profootballtalk that Porter is meeting with the skins Thursday. Unlike the Cardinals they wont let him leave town without a contract. Maybe the Rams or Lions will cut a backup they dont want and we can swoop in and sign him for nothing. What a special teams unit we could have. At least they will get a lot of playing time when we give up 90 points a game. I hate to sound so negative but i live in St.Louis and followed the Cardinals since i was a kid and they dissapoint way to often.

30. By Chris on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like Porter is on his way to check out the Redskins.. interesting since they are completely on the opposite side of the country over there.

31. By BigRedFan on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

So here I am checking the computer every 30 minutes with baited breath to see if we have won the Whitehurst lottery yet. . . . .

Which is weird, considering a week ago I couldn’t have pointed him out in a police line up with the three little pigs. . . . . .

I’m just saying . . . .

32. By gordo on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

everyone….
    porter is visiting dc.. unless we show him the money.. u can pretty much say that will be a done deal…. we cant let him slip away.. plZZZZZZZZZZZZz!

33. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Porter will be visiting the redsins thursday

34. By Dan on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren, ever hit Grimaldis pizza around 99th and Northern yet? Best pizza I’ve ever had….love it.

35. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Jesus —

Breaston I don’t think is going anywhere.

36. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Tbru —

It hasn’t been confirmed Whitehurst has received any offer sheets officially.

37. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

James B —

Charlie Whitehurst.

38. By darrenurban on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Dan —

Heard good things. But being an east sider, it’s not exactly in the neighborhood. And with two young kids, going to dinner more than, say, five minutes away isn’t my first choice. :)

39. By Jahstone on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

If we don’t get Porter, one more decent LB, and a sufficient back-up QB with expereince, I will call this a “re-building year”…no matter how well we do in the draft, those will be rookies, and our other young LB’s need experience. This could only take one year, but it looks like we are trying to develop more so than trying to field a Super Bowl team this year. Porter will probably go to the Skins if they offer a penny more, and we are very green at that position for sure!!

40. By fitzis11red on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

I agree that having Porter from a veteran standpoint will be huge for us. Yet if we do not sign him our whole defense is not going to fall apart either. We’ll see what happens also between the draft and June 1st. Someone shocking could become available the cards want that we don’t know about. I’m just saying.