Porter’s next visit

Posted by Darren Urban on March 16, 2010 – 9:39 pm

Well, Joey Porter now does have another visit — to Washington, a couple of days from now. Guess I spoke too soon. The Redskins are switching to a 3-4 look, apparently, so that helps. But you can’t get much further away from California (Porter’s home state, where he said he wanted to be near). Then again, as a wiser man than me has pointed out more than once, these guys can live wherever they want when their playing days are over. If he can get a few more millions in the East …

Then again, the Redskins also looked at Larry Foote, and we all know how that turned out. Foote didn’t land in Washington either, and the way the new Bruce Allen/Mike Shanahan GM/coach combo is working, these aren’t your father’s free-spending Redskins. What does that mean with Porter and the Cardinals? Well, I don’t pretend to know. The Cards and Porter haven’t agreed to a deal yet, and I find it hard to believe Porter will suddenly drop his price before going to Washington. The ‘Skins, I suppose, will set the market.

No, I don’t know what will happen. Rod Graves said Monday he was in contact with Porter’s agent and I am sure that is continuing.

Tags: , ,

43 Responses to “Porter’s next visit”

1. By Joe-B on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Hopefully they don’t go back to their money burning ways and we can still pick him up.

2. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I am on the fence about Porter. I’m excited to hear we might get him. And then, kinda ok with it when it doesnt seem he will sign as a Cardinal. I’m hoping he comes to Arizona na dhas another 15+ sack year. but, he could come here and get injured. ya k now. Its obvious this is his last chance at a good contract. And the Redskins owners have paid out money, but can they afford him? can we? I think Porter is just lucky that he became a FA this year in this linebacker situation. In the end, he will get his $$$. thats all I know for sure. where is the ???

3. By smittyaz on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

we need to sign him otherwise we have another foote problem. the fans start to get very excited abot what the cardinals are doing but then the organization shoots us in the foote. this guy walks and our defense is condemmed. MAKE IT HAEN CARDINALS!!! NOW!!!!

4. By smittyaz on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

about and happen

5. By Bystander on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

In 3 game he didn’t have a single tackle. In 2 games he got 4.5 of
    his 9 sacks, 2.5 of them against a Bills line decimated by injury. He stinks
    vs. the run and won’t come off the field for subsitution.

6. By AG on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

7. By Blair on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Looks like a year with back ups/rookie lbs is getting more and more realistic

8. By Dan on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

So what are Eric Hill, Seth Joyner, and Jamir Miller doing right now? Bet they’re available

9. By Dan on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

There’s been a lot of positive and negative opinions on Joey Porter’s performance as of late. (Lots of hate coming from fans of his former teams apperantly) but Arizona’s front office has to consider between paying whatever he wants and just getting him here and drawing a financial line to keep the jealousy down with the current players, mainly Dockett, who come contract time will probably ask for every hundred dollar bill printed by the fed that year. Just look at Boldin after Fitzgerald’s contract. They may be sending a message to players while trying not to repeat history.

10. By Tyman on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

holy crap, look at all the big money players we lost. How can we not have enough to sign porter. This is bull, maybe we will be last in the west this year. Looks like the teams not interested in winning. If we dont get porter and go after a big name qb, were done. Dont know if Andersons the answer, but if he could play the way he did when he made the pro bowl, maybe. Frig Porter is a player that can fill berts lost at LB, and 9 sacks last year was a bad season for hem. Cards Brass skew the QB right now get Porter done pls… for all us cards fans.

11. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

It looks as though the second part of mu prediction is about to come true, I just didn’t think it would happen this quickly. Herbis how I see it playing out; The Redskins, have noy spent a whole lot of money this off-season, which means something is about to give. Obviously if they invited Porter for a visit, they are already aware of what he is asking for, and apparently doesn’t bother them. Also since they know that the Cardinals most likely won’t match the offer, Redskins win, Cardinals lose again. Prove me wrong!!!

12. By Tyman on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Maybe the cards want to sell the rest of the matt lienard jerseys this year, so I guess dont count on any big names lol. After all it will most likly be one and out for matt, if he plays like he did last year. And I was in Bostin during the blowout and matt looked so so bad. The moves dont make sence yet!!!

13. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

my, here is, not, practice makes perfect

14. By Ben Rubenstein on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been checking all Cardinals news and wait anxiously every day to see what decisions the owners make this season. I will go to at least four games this next season, but I would probably go to more games if the Cardinals can sign some players and make some great moves during the off season. I just feel like we are trying to scrape by with what ever comes our way. These last two seasons I really started getting in to football again. Please don’t let me feel like my support and football hobby is a lost cause Mr. Graves. I’m very happy with the changes so far and the Cardinals organization. Another line backer would be great but I’m sure we could use another CB as the back ups are too short to ever match up with anyone. The Green Bay play off game was just embarrassing. Luckily, we won that game.

15. By nor cal cards fan on Mar 16, 2010 | Reply

Urb- Are we looking to sign Monty?

16. By GMoney on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Those guys are too young.

17. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Ben,
    With all due respect, my man, you are wasting your time. The organization does not care about what you have to say. Your begs and pleads are falling on deaf ears. This organization is not going to go out and spend money on big names, when they can get leftovers for next to nothing. The fans I really feel sorry for are the season ticket holders who spend a bloody fortune for their tickets, parking, concession, and time to and from the game. I have faith in Leinart, but he is not Warner, and he is not going to pick up right where Warner left off. As for our defense, I am truly worried next season. I love the enthusiasm that Dockett has, but I really believe he thought with his pleads, the organization would do something with one of the two, looks like he was wrong too. He definately wont be doing any laundry. As for the rest of this off-season, I guess all of us fans can just stand by, keep our fingers crossed and see what happens next. Let’s hope for the best!

18. By Eazy E on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

We have to go 1 of 2 on the former steeler LBs. The foote ordeal is very confusing, darren saying it may have been a foot injury that prevented him from being a cardinal. Porter we have to get though. He is still a beast. 9 sacks in 14 games, that’s production. Also alot of dolphin fans just hatin, he still lead them in sacks and he missed 2 games. I’d overpay if its not too ridiculous because we need him bad. He’s also good against the run, I don’t know why he’s getting that bad rap from some fans. I didnt hear that when he was beastin gettin 17.5 sacks and they went to the playoffs.

19. By BDMag on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Well I can’t say this is surprising. With very rare exceptions, this stuff happens every year. It appears new fans are just finding out what many of us have dealt with for decades. Extending Whiz was a great move by the Bidwills. Unfortunately, when you lose as much as this team has in the offseason, more needs to be done. But as bad as the last couple months have been, I can’t say this is a big shock to long-time fans. This is just how the Cardinals work. They said things would change once they got a stadium, and they did – for a little while. I just find it hard to believe that even with a full draft, this team will be able to compete for a division title when a bad defense just gets worse and our starting QB and WR are gone. Oh well.

20. By Darthcard on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Wait do the redskins ever lose out on a free agent? If the redskins want him he’s going to be a redskin. Reality is setting in so I’m patienly going to watch and wait the 2-3 years this teams going to take to be a playoff Calibur team. Rookies are not going to help right now but I believe in the future of the cards.

21. By neptune032701 on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Foote and Porter are a little on the old side and based on the previous season neither LB is superstar right now. That being said both would be an upgrade to what we currently have on the team. What really concerns me is the talent level dropping on a defense that gave up almost 100 points in two playoff games last year. Was the decision not to sign Foote based possible injury/performance issues or is this another example of the Cardinals cheeping out? For some reason the Steelers were willing to pay more for Foote to be a back-up then we are to pay Foote as a starter. It’s a fine line between fiscal responsibility and cheep but we’ll never see another Super Bowl if we are not willing to pay market value for talent. Obviously Bidwell, Graves and Whisenhunt are much more familiar with the situation; I just hope they are making these decisions for the good of the team and not the good of the owner’s wallets.

22. By Jahstone on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Baby steps Cards fans…baby steps…

23. By joe67 on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

So many of you want to complain about not spending money. Would you rather have an owner like the Redskins, and literally throw money away? For what? What have they done the last two years? Be patient, and good things will happen. If we get Porter for a good price, fine. But for heavens sake, he isn’t worth giving the farm away. And he is a year older now.

24. By AZ JAM on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

We made a big deal on the visits of Foote and Porter. We have video on this site of the interviews during the visit. It will be a real shame if we at least can’t sign Porter.

25. By 949cardsfan on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

the Cards should do what ever necessary to make sure they get their highest rated LB in the draft. Even if it that means this switching one’s this year, giving a 3rd rnd pick and giving next years #1. Go get this years patrick willis.

26. By Ron on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, Been researching about Porter and a couple of Sports affiliates are reporting that the Cardinals will not pony up the money Porter wants. Are the FO decisions based on the chance of a lockout happening soon or is it just Porter looking to make a last big splash? While I am ok with them not over spending on players I would like some idea as to what their plan is. Dumb question but are they gonna be happy with just being mediocre this season because the way I see it we will be in a dogfight with the 49ers for the division. Thanks and keep up the good work.

27. By freaky #11 on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

FIRE ROD GRAVES…that dude is destroying our team…he’s deosn’t knows squat about football.

28. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Nor cal —

I would say yes, especially given the current LB situation.

29. By Matt on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

There is a post from on ESPN.com at 9:30 on 3/17 that says we are expected to sign Anderson. Is this what you are hearing or is that just speculation?

30. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Freaky —

You know, there are a lot of people who come on here to criticize the team or Graves, but at least they make a case for their stance. And that’s cool. That’s what this is here for.

To say Graves doesn’t know football, however, is just dumb. I am guessing you haven’t spent your professional life in the NFL, so I am fairly sure you know a lot less about football. So how are you qualified to make such a statement?

31. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Matt —

I just blogged about it. He’ll be here.

32. By Secret on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Come on Cards, we need this guy!

33. By Sean on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Lone-Eagle, just because he visits another team does not mean he won’t be a Cardinal. Everyone in here seems to believe that he’s already a Redskin, and that’s not the case. It would be foolish for him not to visit other teams and expand his options. Just like looking for a house, you would be foolish to sign a lease on the very first house you looked at, when perhaps right around the corner there are bigger better homes. Remember, we also have a draft, and two 3rd round picks in it (until further notice on Whitehurst). Free Agency is not over people!! And the draft hasn’t started! Perhaps if these ‘old’ FA’s go to other teams, it will leave higher projected LBs in the draft falling down the boards so the Cardinals can pick them up. Keep faith in the Cardinals people, even if management doesnt look at these boards, players may, and how do you think they would feel about this organizations fans if they’ve given up on them half a year before the season even starts.

34. By Tyman on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Sean if a team likes a player they dont let hem go visit, watch the video of porter saying its a fit, and saying the team has to want hem. I dont think we are getting porter, have to settle for some 2ed rate players.

35. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Tyman —

You can flip that too. If Porter thinks he’s such a good fit — or any player, for that matter — shouldn’t he work hard to make sure the deal happens as well?

Besides, what else is a player going to say? “I’m a terrible fit here, but I still hope they pay me lots of money.”

36. By Alec on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

“I wasn’t worried about Foote leaving, and while Porter could certainly make an impact on our pass rush, I don’t think I’d overpay for him either. Don’t get me wrong, I like the guy, but with guys like Jerry Hughes and Brandon Graham coming out this year, I think we have a bit more room to be picky.”

That is a great view of the scheme of things but with Dansby leaving and Okefor too who is there gonna be to mentor these players and show them how to be top notch NFL LBs? Sure we could draft young and pay these guys but what happens if they do not pan out. Porter brings leadership and a fire to a locker room that a Cardinals team has not seen yet. I can only see positives from this signing.

37. By Scott H on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Hate to say it, but if the Cardinals really wanted Porter, would he be making a trip to Washington??? They could have made sure that never happened…again, IF Porter is a guy they feel like they have to have. Yes, we know that Foote also went to Washington and didn’t stay. But we also know he never came back to Arizona, don’t we??? Here I go being simple again, but after the retirement of Berry, we need someone who can get some pressure on opposing QB’s and Porter still does that quite well. And after Warner retired and we DIDN’T need to spend any money to sign Dansby, Rolle, or Boldin…shouldn’t we have a little cash layin’ around to spend on Porter??? Just sayin…

38. By freaky #11 on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

You’re right, I haven’t spent my professional life in the NFL. I do, however, see when we pass up so many good free agents…and not only this year but in the past. I understand you have ties to Graves and maybe thats why you are defending him. I am a huge Cards fan and sometimes they make hard to stay faithful.

39. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

We can go around and around on this, but I ask in all seriousness, what would you think is a fair contract for Porter. Say it is for, two years, and remembering he is going to be 33 in a couple of weeks.

40. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Freaky —

Passion is good. Plenty who read and comment here are passionate. That I like, even with criticism. Just don’t go overboard. That’s all I am saying.

41. By AnthonyS on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

Why does it seem that everyone has forgot about Cody Brown? Will he be ready for Pre-season? Let’s not panic people, Porter only averages 8 sacks a season! We definetly need him if we can get him for a reasonable contract. Let the skins overpay him if they want.

42. By darrenurban on Mar 17, 2010 | Reply

AnthonyS —

Brown is healthy now.

43. By Scott H on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Well, he still looks pretty good for his age…B-train had some injury problems along the way but he was solid the last few years and remained quite productive. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying break the bank on Porter. It’s their money and I guess they know what they want to spend. Again, it’s all a matter of what THEY want. And if they really want the guy, then step up and make it happen. But I don’t think it plays well from a PR perspective when fans see you bring guys like Foote and Porter – who could clearly help this team – only to let them leave and land somewhere else. Yeah, I know – NFL executives can’t run their teams based on what the fans want. But ya know what…sometimes in the NFL as we know it, teams have to overpay once in awhile to get a guy that might make a difference.