Nothing changes for Leinart

Posted by Darren Urban on March 18, 2010 – 6:13 am

Matt Leinart has known Derek Anderson for a long time. They graduated high school the same year, so the two schoolboy star quarterbacks attended a high school invitational camp together — Anderson coming from Oregon, Leinart from California — and then they battled for a few years when Anderson quarterbacked Oregon State and Leinart USC. Now, they are teammates with the Cardinals.

“I think Derek is a good quarterback and I think he will push me,” Leinart said. “I knew something was going to happen (with signing a quarterback), but whoever it was going to be wasn’t going to change how I was approaching any of this.”

How Leinart is approaching this is as starter, which for the time being was clarified by coach Ken Whisenhunt Wednesday when he said Leinart had earned the right to be No. 1. Such a declaration was something Leinart had hoped would happen, and he admitted it was “nice to hear.” But that wasn’t going to change anything either.

“My mindset it to become a great quarterback and keep this team playing at the level at which it has been playing,” Leinart said.

If Anderson wasn’t going to change Leinart, or Whisenhunt’s words, then was anything different for Leinart this offseason? Yes.

“I know I can be a starter in this league, but when you have Kurt (Warner) in front of you , a veteran going to the Hall of Fame, you know your position and you have to prepare just having to be ready if the opportunity comes,” Leinart said. “Now, it’s a totally different mindset because this is my time, the opportunity I have wanted and it is here. I am more focused and hungrier than I have every been in my entire football career, college and pro.”

Tags: ,

37 Responses to “Nothing changes for Leinart”

1. By Boomerfan on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Great stuff. I believe in matt 100%. I think he’ll impress some of the doubters this year. He’s no Warner, but to expect him to perform a la Romo, Shaub, etc, isn’t THAT much of a stretch.

2. By Ruben R on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

i hope everything he says is true

3. By Card's Refugee on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Good morning Darren!

4. By Jeremiah on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Already getting started today, do you even sleep these days? It’s good to hear how badly Matt wants this and for his sake, the Cardinals and mine, I am really pulling for Matt to play well this year. And even though DA has shown that he can play well, at the end of the day, I still feel like Matt has more potential.

5. By Billy Thomas on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

I have to say that I am impressed with Leinart’s words about the quarterbacking situation. He admits that there was a reason he was put behind Warner for a couple of years, and it appears he has learned to let his play speak for him. I’m looking forward to seeing what Leinart can do this year!

6. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Leinart,
    Whether you get the opportunity to read this or not, I believe in you. I remember you from back in your days at U.S.C. I was not your biggest fan considering I am a U. of A Wildcat fan, which I am sure you can understand. You have the tools to be a great quarterback. I think your running skills could be greatly improved, buit that will come with experience. Relax in the pocket. You have a hell of an arm, and the accuracy I saw at U.S.C. for four years was impressive. I know you can lead this team to a third straight title. You have better weapons now than you ever had in college. One great reciever, two good revievers, Two very good running backs, and a pretty good O line, plus in my opinion, one of the better coaches in the league. Take advantage! Oh I forgot to mention, you have been learning from one of the greatest QB’s I have ever seen play the game. You can’t do better than that. I can’t speak for the entire Cardinal nation or the Red Army, but I am behind you and I believe in you. Go Leinart and go Cards!!!

7. By darrenurban on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Jeremiah —

Sleep is overrated. I’m sure my wife would like me to get away from the laptop once in a while.

Just remember how much I am working now when we get to those dead periods and everyone wants to say, “We need more info” when I am not posting nearly as much. ;)

8. By wyatt on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

i believe in leinart, but hes going to have to help his offense step it up now that our defense is setback. also leinart is going to have to practicw w/ the young recievers now that one of there veterans(boldin) is gone.

9. By john on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Matt, put the glove back on the left hand. You were super accurate in that Tennessee game…not so much barehanded.

10. By Michael Shepp on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren

What’s the word on Matt Ware? He is a piece of the puzzle the cards really need.

Thanks!

11. By darrenurban on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Michael —

Not sure what is going on with Ware.

12. By Dave on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Matt?

Take a pic of the Cardinals winning the NFC championship game. One with all the confetti floating…. and edit out Kurt’s pic and insert yours.
    Photo-shop “superbowl champions!!” across the top. Blow it up poster size and then pin it to the ceiling over your bed or on a nearby wall…so it’s the first thing you see every morning and the last thing you see every night. Imagine the sticky champagne, the heft of the Lombardi,the postgame interview, the deafening roar….etc.

You can do this. You can live that. You are good enough and so is this team. Best of luck in 2010.

13. By adam larson on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren, could u let me know if I have this right?

DL- big 9-0, CC, and at NT all we have signed is Branch?
    OLB- Clark Haggans and all the youngsters
    ILB- Gerald Hayes, Stevie Baggs, and FA or 2010 Draft
    CB- DRC and McFadden
    FS- Rhodes and SS- A-Dub

NO KICKER signed?

WR1- FITZ, WR2- Doucet, cuz Breaston isn’t yet signed…
    WR3- Breaston/Early, WR4- Is Morey signed?
    WR5- Ed Gant, WR6- ?? 2010 Draft or the Jones kid?
    LT- Bridges or big Herman, LG- R. Wells, OC- Claxton/ Sendlein not signed??
    RG- Rex Hadnot/ Deuce not signed yet?? and RT- Levi brown
    TE- Anthony Becht and Stephen Spach, wassup with Patrick??
    FB- we need one?? AND RB- Beanie and Hightower
    QB- LEINART( why does every1 spell it wrong?) and the new DA in town

Sorry so long, but I kinda get a starting lineup in my mind for every year, I do it with the Sun Devils too…. part of my Obsessive Compulsive, LOL

14. By Ben on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

D,

I am one of those guys that has criticized your “no info” periods. Sorry I get antsy during those long June July months. Ill try and lay off this year. Thanks for all the info, when do you start getting into draft mode?

15. By darrenurban on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Adam —

Little early to be worried about this. The Cards will have a kicker. Many of your concerns (Lutui, Watson, Patrick, Sendlein) have been tendered offers and all will be back.

16. By darrenurban on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Ben —

Let’s get to April before we talk much draft. I’m not a huge draftnik, to be honest — you look at some positions, but in the end, I find it hard to get all worked up when 97 percent of the guys will never come to Arizona. When they get picked, then I will break them down. That’s kind of how I see it.

17. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

I know Matt is hungry and so are the fans. Dockett is full of excitment for the team. I feel we have the best bunch of young guys since boldin and fitz were youngsters, but now the guys are on defense instead of offense. Well, I dunno I guess WElls and Hightower are fairly young. I cant wait to buy my season tickets, cant wait for the draft.

18. By adam larson on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

actually darren my biggest concern is Breaston, as a KR/PR/ #2 WR some team may want him? I hope ur right and he is in RED for MANY yrs to come!

19. By Skiptim on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

What does this mean for the 6 way trade? Did you misjudge yesterday?

20. By CardsRep928 on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren…

Please dont forget “In Whiz we trust” or “Enter the era of Cardinals Smashmouth” :)

21. By Red Cards on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Go Leinart we know you can do it !!!!!!!!

22. By darrenurban on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Skip —

Seriously, there is less than zero chance of that trade happening. Or even being discussed.

23. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Larson,
    If another team signs Breaston, they would have to give us a first round pick. Or we could match the offer.

24. By Sean on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Haha! See Darren, I told you sarcasm doesnt portray well on the internet.

I’m glad we have Leinart and Anderson. Both have a ton of potential, I believe, and if Leinart goes down I’m comfortable with DA stepping in. I was very worried when our season ended and we started losing quite a few of our play makers, but things seem to be shaping up nicely and I’m confident the Cards still hold the NFC West in 2010. Don’t tell that to any Niners fans though, I want them to be all sorts of shocked and depressed when we stomp all over them next year.

25. By FightON on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

That’s the Matt I know…there is a big difference defending your starting job (vs Cassell at SC) compared to sitting there knowing you will never get it because a legend is in front of you (kinda like Carson at SC). Do the same thing you did following Palmer Matt, you took it up a notch and exceeded him. Kurt is gone, and Coach has finally made it clear that it is Matt’s job to lose. Derek is a good guy and a good QB. May the best man win.

26. By Javy on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Well darren, I have always respected Matt Leinart but I believe that Derek Anderson and Matt leinart both have a lot of talent but… with the draft to come we never know if we could draft a mature QB like Tebow or even Colt McCoy but do you think that Anderson or that (MAYBE) QB draft pick still earn the starting job?????

thanks GO CARDS!!!!!

27. By Scott H on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

john –

Hey, maybe Matt can wear the gloves that Warner wore. Maybe there’s magic in them! But seriously, I’m with everyone who is in Leinart’s corner. I really do want to see him do well, and I think he’s got it in him to do well. And what we have going for us as fans is knowing that he ought to be REAL motivated to do well. Because if he doesn’t show something this year…I think he becomes a career back-up in the NFL. And that would be an embarassing come down after the college career he had! But let’s stay positive, here…We got your back, Matt!

28. By darrenurban on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Javy —

Even if the Cards draft a QB — which isn’t a lock — he will not start this season. It’s Leinart’s job to lose, and then Anderson would be there if Leinart falters.

29. By Dantastic on Mar 18, 2010 | Reply

Matty will be just fine. People forget that his rookie season was with Denny Green, not Whiz, who knows how to get the maximum potential out of his players, look at Rolle for example who was a nickle back at one point. Also this Cardinals offense is built just like USC’s offense when Matt was there! He didnt have to be the man there all the time because of Bush and mike Williams. Just like here he has Beanie, Fitz, Breaston, Doucet, and Hightower! Look for Leinart to have a BREAKOUT season! Lets go BIG RED!

30. By 949cardsfan on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

The 2010 style of play will look a lot different than the last few years. The 2010 version of the Cards will be a lot more physical on both sides of the ball. Leinart, and everyone else for that matter, will benefit from a real dedicated run game. The D is gonna have to play 60 min this year, no more taking series off, cause you know Warners gonna hang 30 points a game. It should be fun, to bad its only March.

31. By Dre on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

I believe it’s the once heisman candidates time to shine. They say, for QBs there comes a point in time where the game slows down and I saw that in Matt’s play last year.

I was not a fan in bring in Derek Anderson, big arm or not, but if he can help us win then I’m all in. He was beat out of a job not by Tom Brady, Phillip River, Peyton Manning but by Brady Quinn who was trade once new GM came in. I believe Wiz did the right thing by announcing he would be a back up but expected to compete. Quarterbacks controversy breaks down locker rooms and the team morale not to mention the fans.

By the way, not a good sign the way Anderson departed his former team by bashing the Brown’s fans….seem like he had been carrying bad feeling around for awhile…

32. By baller on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

DA and Matt should have to fight for the number 1 job.DA should be a great backup.Remember Kurt was a backup qb for the Giants as DA was for the
    Browns.

33. By Chris on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

The Cardinals are nuts if they think Leinart is our the answer to our QB situation. He stinks ! He’s not Whiz’s draft pick and if you read Whiz’s body chemistry and listen to what he has to say about the situation, you get the feeling he feels the same way. D Anderson could be special if he gets a fair shot at the job. He’s 6’6″, mobile, strong, and he’s a thrower. He has the weapons here now and he has proven in the past that he can be very good. He’s made the pro bowl and threw for over 3700 yds in a season. He has a rebirth out in AZ and i feel he can put points on the board if given the chance !

34. By chris freeman on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Leinart is a starting quarterback… might no show up this year , but akll the intangiblesare there. this is his yearto prove it thought…. i think hell hold the star only becauase when i take a hard look at the TITAN GAME LEINART PLAYED CONFORTABLY THE WHOLE GAME, AND TEN BROUGHT THE BLITZ NEARLY EVERYDOWN , BEHIND A LINE THAT WAS NOT CLICKING, AND THE AZ DEFENSE LOST THAT GAME. WHAT THAT TELLS ME, HE HAS THE MENTAL STREANGTH, SOMETHING THAT WAS QUESTIONED HIS ROOKIE AND SOPHMORE YEAR. WHEN lEINART CAMEIN IN THE SUPER BOWL WE MANAGED TO PULL TOGETHER A FEW SUCCESSFULL DRIVE, COLD TURKEY. iT MAY TAKE A FEW GAMES BEOFRE LEINART BLOSSUMS, BUT IN THE nfc WEST NEXT YEAR… LEINART MAY HAVE THAT TIME HE NEEDS TO GET IN SYNC.

35. By chris freeman on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

NOT SUPERBOWL…PLAYOFFS ..LAST YEARS PLAYOFFS

36. By Scappose Joe on May 18, 2010 | Reply

DA will have the quarterback job by opening day.
    I am right 97.4% of the time.

2. Jul 8, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog