At the end of the week (Porter is a Card)

Posted by Darren Urban on March 19, 2010 – 2:38 pm

The weather is perfect today. A great day to be outside. Alas, I am not. A great day to be in front of the TV watching college basketball. Alas, I am not. So as long as I’m in my own little piece of the NFL world in the cubicle I call home (OK, I call my house my home, so I guess I just call this work) …

UPDATE: I guess I spoke too soon. Joey Porter is a Cardinal with a new three-year contract.

There is no white smoke coming from Joey Porter’s camp (figuratively, of course, not literally) so the free-agent linebacker doesn’t have a home yet. He was finishing up a visit to the Redskins earlier today and I am sure they have talked about what it would take to get Porter to Washington. That said, given Porter’s desire to be in the West, I would think the Cards will hear from him again (unless the Redskins decide to money-whip him, which in this new Shanahan-Bruce Allen era, I would doubt). I’ve said what I thought, that I think he could help the Cards but it wouldn’t crush them if he didn’t come. At this point, I am just hoping he makes a decision soon.

– Darnell Dockett hasn’t followed up with any big news, but I can tell you whatever he was talking about, it wasn’t a contract extension. General manager Rod Graves told me the team at this point is not “engaged in any active discussions” with Dockett on his deal. That really isn’t surprising; with everything going on with free agency and the prelude to the draft, anything that would be done with Dockett — if anything is done right now — would be later on in the offseason anyway. So that brings us back to Dockett’s news. Porter? A promise from coach Ken Whisenhunt that Dockett will be Dan Krieder’s replacement at fullback?

– Strange days over with the 49ers and the whatever-is-going-on with general manager Scot McCloughan. From a Cardinals’ perspective, it doesn’t really matter why or how as much as that the GM is apparently on the outs a month before the draft. Considering the 49ers, right now, are the Cards’ biggest threat when it comes to defending the NFC West crown in 2010, it’s a significant development. McCloughan has seemingly been an important cog in rebuilding that team so to lose him has to hurt, at least in the short-term.

Tags: , , , ,

76 Responses to “At the end of the week (Porter is a Card)”

1. By Chris B on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

::::YAWN::::
    I am disliking the off-season more and more. And to think we have to wait another 4+ months until training camp. It’s going to be a long summer…

2. By Brad A$$ on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Chris B

Yawn? Are you serious?

Can you recall a Cards offseason that has been more intriguing? Cards news is dominating the NFL when it comes to losses and acquisitions. I can’t remember any other time like this. I also am pleased what we are doing. Getting Rhodes and Anderson at much cheaper prices than Rolle and Whitehurst. We are also not throwing a bunch of cash at old veterans that come in for visits. We are taking our time and WE are the ones in control. WE will pay them what we think they are worth, and we will not let them be in control.

This office has a plan, in Graves & Whiz We Trust!

3. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Brad —

Chris might just be yawning at my blog entry attempt. Yes, it hurts. But it comes with the territory …. ;)

4. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

We are on the 4 worst offseason teams on NFL.com. They said its mainly because there is no replacing Warner. What BS. Everyone criticized Warner every big game we played, and now that he doesnt play, hes freakin Joe Montana. Which brings me to my second point. Does anyone remember ol Joe? we all act like Favre was the first QB ever. nope. lots before him and will be lots after. I love the NFL but us fans seem to have short memories for the good and long drawn put haunting dreams of the bad. In the end. Matt will be great, I believe. but if not, so what. There will be more players in other positions to step up as we find a new QB. In the end, one offseason doesnt make or brake your team. They wanna say the CArds are all Kurt Warner,I laugh. Can’t wait till this next season when we tear up our divison. 11-5 this next year. we will do it. improve another game and make it to the division round of the playoffs if not further. mark my words.

5. By MarshM on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, thanks again for the inside scoop. Any work realistically on whether or not Krieder will return this year?

6. By MarshM on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Sorry, any word*

7. By Brad A$$ on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Good point. Must be tough, constantly writing about off season stuff when nothing is happening in the NFL, and everyone else is March Madness crazy.

8. By Brandon on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Joey P!!!! so glad we got him under contract

9. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Marsh —

Still a chance. I am working on Porter right now, though. Fullbacks have to wait.

10. By Nick Pepe on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Nice- Great addition. I was rooting hard for this. This makes the defense better. This makes the team better. Maybe Mr. Dockett was onto something after all! Thanks for the news Darren

11. By Darthcard on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

All due respect to our other signings this one makes me smile. Losing dansby and boldin really hurt. Kurt retired and rolle was a whatever to me. Yes!!

12. By Tyman on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

All I have to say is Joooooeeeeeyyyyyy, oh yah this is going to be great. Any Idea what number he will be wearing 55 or 56. they need a picture of the dirt kick on the website, dirt kick in the dessert, oh yah all season long.

13. By Brandon on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

At this point i’m over losing Rolle and Dansby. Our defense will be better next year Rhodes will fit in nicely and we finally have someone who can get after the passer. Plus Cody Brown is back from injury pair that with the draft coming up and there’s no reason our D should be improved from a year ago. Go Cards!

14. By Steve W on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

I’m glad to see the Cards making progress in building our team to be as good as it can possibly be next season. Yes, we lost some really great players – but sometimes that happens to good teams. I don’t think any of us Cards fans can recall a situation quite like this one, where our players are being actively sought after by other teams because of their accomplishments. At least not to this extent, anyway.

And as Brad mentions, it’s really nice to be a team that doesn’t seem like it’s begging for talent by being forced to throw wads of money at veteran players either past their prime or simply not worth the money they’re asking for to play in Arizona. No matter what happens next season – after all we ARE rebuilding a bit, no matter which way you slice it – I have no doubt that the Whiz and Graves are doing a great job in putting the best possible team out on the football field not only next year, but for the years after that as well.

And I still can’t help but feel that the Cards are going to wind up surprising some people next season. Is it a hunch, or wishful thinking? We’ll find out by next December for sure.

GO CARDS!!!

15. By 949cardsfan on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

I had all but lost confidence in our front office, but they stepped up and did what they had to do. Great work guys! I can honestly say we are a better Defense today than we were at any time in 2009. Foote wouldve been nice, but I guess you cant win’em all. Now go get us a dominant MLB in the draft. Welcome to the NEW SMASH MOUTH Cardinal football. Porter’s gonna bring that nastieness we need on the defensive side. Cant wait.

16. By chris freeman on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

I bite my tongue i bite it hard see is flopping around the floor…. i said porter wouldnt be a cardinal unless he dropped his price tag…. hes a cardinal…. so whats the price tag …

17. By 98CardsFan on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

It’s about time they actually bring somewhat of a threat on the defensive side of the ball. It makes draft projection so much more easier. 1st round, S/CB Earl Thomas or one of the OLB. 2nd round Nose Tackle, either Terrance Cody or Cam Thomas, 3rd round, a threat a TE, inside backer(brandon spikes, after his stock fell from his poor 40 time) and decent depth to round out the draft. BRING ON THE DEFENSE!!!

18. By Wampag on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO

honestly losing Warner, Berry and Rolle have made me sad and I know we would lose Dansby but today I am estatic I think Rhodes is awesome and wil be great with DRC and what can i say Dockett and porter with ADub and Haggans man oh man I like this team on papaer can’t wait to see it in real life

once again
    wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    GO CARDS

19. By Bobf on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Now we just need to make DD happy.

20. By Pay Dockett! on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

get a nose tackle first round, and the pass rush will be elite.

21. By 98CardsFan on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

One other thing i have to say that if there are 3 games i want us to dominate defensively next season its twice against the 9ers & the ‘aints! who wit me???

22. By fitzis11red on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe huh…….hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe. We didn’t have to have him, I agree but we got ‘em. hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe!!!!!

23. By B-rad on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Adam Schefter reports 3 yr 17.5 Mil, with a max of 24.5 Mil. Someone got paid!

24. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

I was wrong and I will be more than happy to eat crow!! Nice job front office, way to go!! I just have one thing to say YEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAA!!!!!!! We just got o whole lot better!!!!

25. By chad d. on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

darren, do you think there will be any other significant free agent signings with the money the cards saved from dansby/rolle/boldin? any big names a possibility?

26. By gordo on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    do u think we overpaid for porter.. some people tend to think so.. to me it doesnt matter.. lets hope he out performs the contract.. GGGGGOOOOOOOO CCCCCAAAAARRRRDDDDSSSSSS!!!!!!

27. By Chris B on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Brad-
    The yawn was for mainly the writing topics as of late. It was exciting/sad/hopeful when Karlos and Rolle left, etc, etc. But lately it’s been slow. I love reading stuff about the team and it’s been a bit dry lately.

Darren-
    You know I think you’re the man. I’ve even offered to be your bag-carrier for free at training camp (that offer stills stands BTW). I know you’re trying, and maybe I’ll send along some ideas for you to write about. :)
    Keep us up to date!

PS- the updates via text are either not working or not being used. I’ve only received one (announcing Rolle’s release). Not sure which it is, just thought I’d let you know.

28. By Wampag on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Hey D i guess you can rest a little now although i have a feeling Feely is going to be announced soon although i hope to retain Rackers

anyway 5 teams showed up at Pacmans workout do you know if we were one of them?

29. By Sean on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

I would love to pummel the Saints next year! Hell, I’d love to pummel every team we play.

Dallas here we come baby!

30. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Way to go Mr Graves and Coach Whiz!!!!

31. By dylan on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Im with you 98cardsfan

lets go Cards i think this team is better then last year… all the nfl announcers bagged on kurt warner but now he is gone and they love him.. really i think this team will do fine with out him

32. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Chad d —

I am guessing the big names are done. They might re-sign their own guys, find a kicker, but nothing else like Porter I wouldn’t think.

33. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Gordo —

I’d have to see how it is structured. It’s $17.5 M for three years, but how much is in the first year, how much in the second year? It’s reasonable.

34. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Chris B —

Hmm. I will look into the text thing. They’ve been being sent (I send them myself) so that’s weird.

35. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Pacman? Seriously?

36. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Great move. Ownership is shelling out $$$ to remain competitive and keep the momentum going.

Would still like to see LB addressed in the draft though. Jerry Hughes from TCU looks like a beast. Sean Weatherspoon from Missouri looks to be a great prospect as well.

Would be even less surprised now if the Cards would draft an OT in the first round. With the team doing well in plugging holes, they might have the luxury of taking the best player available at any position rather than drafting for need. We’ll find out next month.

37. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Geez, Steve Wyche at NFL.com just blogged that…

“As the Steelers’ defensive coordinator, Ken Whisenhunt was around Joey Porter for seven years.”

Can anyone else find the glaring error in Steve’s observation?

38. By Chris on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Rumor is..

“UPDATE: ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Cardinals will pay Porter $17.5 million over three years, with a max value of $24.5 million. Depending on the structure, that looks like a panicked deal that won’t go well for Arizona.”

As per ProFootBallTalk

39. By Keith on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

YES! YES! YES! IN THE FACE!!!!

40. By Brad A$$ on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Even if Porter’s performance declines because of age, it is still going to be lots of fun having the 2 personalities of Dockett and Porter on the same team.

41. By Fiddler on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren – so, Porter will move into Chike’s spot. How would the rest of LB corps line-up (barring a rookie being a starter)?

42. By Scott H on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Ahhhhhh, now that’s better! I feel better now with Porter on board. I guess Double D is happy, too??? Is this what he was so psyched about? Darren, I’d watch out if I were you…Dockett might be after your job! If he knew this was happening days ago, he must have his sources, too! And now for a serious question – I saw where the Eagles have released Kevin Curtis…last season for him was just totally wiped out by injuries. But before that, he was one heck of a productive WR with the Eagles and Rams. Makes me wonder if he could fill the spot vacated by Jeremy Urban and then some. Darren, any thoughts on that? Assuming that Curtis is healthy again and ready to roll, he could be a real steal for someone.

43. By brazilian fan on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

darren…
    what’s the situation at FB? it’s perhaps the less commented one.
    thanks

44. By alex u on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Okay i would think we wont draft a OLB anymore, we have our 4 OLB’s. So ILB and NT would be on the top of the list, for the first two rounds, maybe an OT and another ILB in the 3rd rounds? P.S. I still want Akin Ayodele, but in reality, top of the FA list i would think would be, Feely/Rackers, Bryan Robinson and Kreider. Anyone Agree with atleast 80% of what i just said?

45. By alex u on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

sorry, 3rd round**

I hope Sean Witherspoon falls to us in the 1st though.

46. By FightON on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

“Defense wins championships”……….Thank you Lord!!! Woo Hoo!!!!

Now, draft more defense!

47. By gordo on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

NO PACMAN!!!! ALL WE GOTTA DO IS GET RID OF MCMUFFIN!!!! THEN WE WILL HAVE A TOP 5 D, RIGHT NOW I SEE US IN THE TOP 10 IN DEFENSE ON PAPER. BUT THIS TEAM IS WAY BETTER THEN LAST YEARS!

PS… WE NEED Ware back thats what i think..

48. By Eazy E on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Great Great Move!!! Cardinals have really rebounded after some HUGE LOSSES!!! Antrel, Anquan, and Karlos and of course Kurt to retirement. Joey would add some much needed pressure from the OLB position.

49. By ratbonez on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

I’m getting the texts, got the one today about Porter.

I can’t wait to sweep the division!

50. By roland on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Thank you bidwells porter will get to the quarterback and kick some ass.The birdgang will rise up like the red sea. Is it sep. yet Go Cards

51. By moe16 on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

darren- thanks for the update pac wouldnt be a bad fit if we got him to sign a no BULL SHXX CLOUSE on his contract dude is an athlete but at the same time a waist with all the baggage the man has but another lock down corner would be bad what do you think other then the baggage

52. By redseafan85 on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Can’t wait to see next year’s hard hitting cards!!! We will have a solid defense as long as we can find one more piece for the seconday. Nice job picking up Porter!!! The intensity he will bring to the field alone will be worth the contract!! GO CARDS!!!

53. By alex u on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren what’s happening on azcardinals.com during the draft?

54. By Brian R. on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Good pick up. Joey needs to up his game for the next 3 years. Im assuming he will retire afterwards. Now… Looking forward to the draft…

Go Cardinals!!!

55. By Big Red on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

I am so glad we got Porter, I can just see tony romos face when he sees DOCKETT, CAMPBELL, and PORTER across his face, when he faces the CARDINALS SWAMP DEFENSE. We broke his pinky last time, now it just gets better. Can hardly wait for that game, when we beat the crap out of the cowgirls. Just loving it! PORTERS, AND DOCKETTS mission to just beat up on romo.

56. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Yessss…..

57. By Ruben R on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

i dont know how much porter has in that tank but good signing he was that best available player in a position of need if they overpaid for him a little how cares he fills a big need.next thing for grave should be to sign DD right?PAY THAT MAN PAY THAT MAN PAY THAT MAN PAY THAT MAN

58. By Cory on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

So happy. So, so happy. We are absolutely the team to beat in the NFC West.

59. By Jason Terry on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Haha Pacman? Really?

60. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Fiddler —

Right now, it’d be Porter as ROLB, Haggans as LOLB, Hayes as SILB and Lenon as WILB.

61. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

Depends. Is Curtis willing to be a No. 4? Because that’s what he’d probably be in Arizona.

62. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Brazilian —

They are still sorting that out. Kreider could still return.

63. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Moe16 —

To me, Pacman is a bad fit on all 32 NFL teams.

64. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Alex U —

As in what?

65. By Deveau on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

A solid free agency in the making.

And now I offer my what I would do if I were GM 3 round mock. Acting GM, if this idea strikes you as brilliant, please feel free to use it.

With the the 26th pick, if NT Dan Williams is off the board I call Cleveland and trade down. My #26 for their #38 and #86. Get Mike hooked on Golden Tate @ 26 and he’ll go for it.

My picks then are; #38) Darryl Washington MLB #58) Cam Thomas NT #86) Jared Veldheer OT #89) Sean Lee MLB/Jason Worilds OLB/Donald Butler MLB (In that order for that pick) #90) Mike Johnson G and if I get a comp 3rd rounder I choose Kevin Thomas CB.

My .02

66. By Mr. Know It All on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Porter is a playmaker. He brings swagger and a mean streak!!! He backs up the talk with stats.

67. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Now that we got our starters figured out on defense. And yes, I include Gabe Watson at nose tackle, the man will rise this year as an anchor in that 3-4 D. We can all rest a little easier. I hope we resign Krieder and Ware as there are no players any better to replace them… and Rackers simply because we cant lose to many fan favorites in one year. Other than that, I’m worried about Safety depth, since we went through FA smoothly and saved money, what about a guy like Darren Sharper for a nice lil 1 yr contract, just to cover while ADub blitzes. Something to set us over the top in nickle situations.

Darren, what other FA would you bring in, hell even a RFA. anyone in the league that you think would make our team genuinly better just by adding one player that is available?

68. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

DRC#1 —

I think the Cards are done, to be honest. I could be wrong. But I don’t think, other than kicker, the Cards will chase anyone else, unless it is re-signing their own guys, until after the draft.

69. By Wampag on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

D I know Pacman bad wrap totally didnt get it…..but what if he gets it now and really we have a great locker room let Fitzy take him under his wing straighten him out I mean honsetly how much could it cost

I know I’m crazy but just think of the backfield if he can play

GO CARDS

70. By BigRedFan on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Pacman can stay at home and play Pac Man for all I’m concerned. He is probably too tempermental to finish a game, though . . .

71. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Not even worth discussing. Pacman is done.

72. By alex u on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

-Deveau

i strongly doubt they will be trading down unless, LB Sean Weatherspoon and DT/NT Jared Odrick don’t fall to us but, Jared Odrick is looking good right now. Then MLB’s Brandon Spikes/Donald Butler (if we get Odrick) in the next round. Then it is to hard to judge whose going to be there for us in the 3rd. IF anything we will trade up, #26 and #90 to whoever picked Sean Weatherspoon (if picked ahead of us) and a 5th rounder. Because i think we definitally need an ILB, Lenon is just a 3rd down LB if anything so yeah, Weatherspoon. If Weatherspoon and Odrick are not there then NT Terrance Cody could be another option.

-Darren

I don’t know, maybe a live draft when are picks are close. Just wondering, i’d rather watch it on T.V. anyway but, Just do a blog on whoever we pick and i’ll be happy :)

73. By Cards Fan Forever!! (JAVY) on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren its Javier here and i had justed been informed that Pacman jones is coming back to the NFL!! Do you belive that the cardinals might be interested in him??? Or are the cards interested in anybody else??? What about Chike O what about him?? Do you think the cards might sighn him back???

GO CARDS~!!!!!!!!!!!!

74. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Alex U —

Of course we will be covering. I’m not supposed to have any info up until the commish makes the announced pick anyway, so …

75. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Cards Fan —

Pacman is not coming to Arizona.

76. By Scott H on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

i think a #3 or #4 is what Curtis would be for most teams at this point, BUT if he’s healthy, I think he has a chance to make a real contribution anywhere he goes. He’s a real Ricky Phroel type of guy. Could come in handy if Doucet is injured again or doesn’t quite turn out to be the stud we hope he can be.