Porter was the secret

Posted by Darren Urban on March 19, 2010 – 10:48 pm

So Darnell Dockett, apparently, knew about Joey Porter long before anyone else did.

“#birdgang fans, I was trying to tell yall I had a surprise but couldn’t tell ya just yet till I make sure! So there yall have it JOEY PORTER” is what Dockett tweeted tonight, two days after promising big news. I suppose it wasn’t all that much of a leap, since I and many of you were guessing the same thing. Really, Porter coming to Arizona, as I mentioned, was the only thing that made sense, and his deal, at three years and a reported $17.5 million , still was for less than he was originally aiming (and I’d like to see the breakdown from there too — how much is the first year worth? Two years? Is in backloaded?).

Some consider this a poor deal, but truthfully, the Cardinals had some wiggle room to risk such a contract, given all the money they won’t be spending on Kurt Warner and Karlos Dansby this season. And Porter is still a more proven pass rusher than anyone on the roster at linebacker, even if he has lost a step. The fact his signing has clearly energized guys like Dockett and Larry Fitzgerald inside the locker room can’t be discounted either. They have to feel the team is making the effort to stay on top.

Ultimately, I think the pros outweigh the cons with where Porter stands right now and where the Cards are. Coach Ken Whisenhunt knows Porter well enough that he knows the ins and outs of Porter’s bombastic personality. I am guessing he’ll be the last “big” signing, with the Cards now filling out the roster — kicker, quarterback maybe — until they see where they stand after the draft.

Tags: , ,

153 Responses to “Porter was the secret”

1. By Eric on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Outstanding signing!!!! Porter will provide leadership to a very young LB core and I hope the #1 pick Hughes picks up a lot from Porter. As much as we lost on the first day of FA, this past week has made up more than expected. Rhodes, Anderson and now Porter has made this FA period one of the better ones I can remember as a Card. We got quality players for a good price in much needed areas. The players we lost were gone anyways and no way would I be happy if the Cards matched those offers they got.

Great job Graves.

Go Cards.

2. By Brian R. on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Great! Welcome to Arizona, Joey Porter!

3. By 82dAirborne on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Sando-

Speaking of the draft, what do you think their focus will be on in the early rounds now?
    I think the top priorities should be tackle, nose tackle, and corner back.

4. By 82dAirborne on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Whoops why’d I say Sando, my bad Mr. Urban.

5. By Mike on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

I’m excited about this signing. I haven’t done a ton of research on Porter but if it fires up some of our biggest playmakers that’s huge. We all know the team needs help on defense and I feel that having the team excited and playing well together is the most importaint part too.

6. By darrenurban on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

82nd –

Apology accepted. :)

I still think they go defense in the first round. Best available front seven player. But that could change depending how the draft plays out.

7. By Pistoldragon on Mar 19, 2010 | Reply

Yay

8. By Tbru on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

nice to log on tonight and not see a bunch of people bashing management. I am liking this defense. Welcome to the desert, Mr Porter

9. By CardsDNA on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

I know this: my father (cards fan of 19 years) passed on tuesday and in the ER we talked some cards and he hoped that Porter would sign. I know he is up there smiling know that the West stays in PHX this year. 9 – 0 and porter will make it so…ohhh and Cambell will crush it this year, just wait. “See ya in three!”

10. By dylan on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

what position do we need to address the most now?

11. By Eazy E on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Joey Porter is a cardinal! Yes, the cardinals are recovering extremely well from the losses of Dansby, Rolle, Boldin, and the retirement of Warner. He is still an elite pass rusher that we desperately needed and an excellent leader. I think we have to go BPA with #26 on our front 7(NT, ILB, OLB). I hope we can also get Jay Feely who’s coming in this weekend. He had a great year with the jets and more clutch than rackers. He also tackles on kickoffs like rackers also. I would also like to see St. Pierre back as the #3 QB.

12. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Depth on the defense and the oline for the draft. Darren do you think they will be drafting a return man? Or will Breaston be the receiver on the other side of Fitzgerald, and return punts. I think it would be risky. Will we see less of the five wide sets, and more big formations? What number will Joey be?

13. By Mailand on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Great news to wake up to. (Live in denmark) :)

14. By Dan on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Well at least we finally have a pass rusher on the outside but I’d rather we went somewhere else like the draft. Hopefully we draft a stud DE/OLB in the 1st rd regardless.

15. By chad d. on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

darren,
    do you think the cards will sign a corner back through free agency? if so, what are the names out there to consider?

16. By Ernie on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

So joey porter. Well i just hope this is a positive locker room addition. He is a proven pass rusher but hope the issues he had last year are in the past. I am excited about how this year will shape up. Gonna miss kurt but really want matt to succeed.

17. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Kerry Rhodes, Joey Porter, Derek Anderson and Rex Hadnot. Very well done. Rod Graves and his staff have done an excellent job as far as free agency is concerned. I just know, that they will do as good a job or better in the draft.

GO CARDS.

18. By fitzis11red on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Adrian Wilson
    Kerry Rhodes
    Domanique Rogers-Cromartie
    Darnell Dockett
    Joey Porter

Those names look Huge for our defense. Those are well known names around the NFL and the country. Here’s hopin’ they play as BIG. Not to mention other guys like Campbell and such. I agree with Fitzgerald with what he said on twitter, we got a whole lot better defensively. I also agree with some that we need at least one more pass rusher on the front seven and another CB. GO cards. This FA period has been solid.

19. By Dustin Whitlock on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

-Darren

thanks for all the info! love that the cards are finally stepping up and paying players and picking up good ones! we all should believe in leinart, he did show some improvement this year, super bowl 45 here we come!

20. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Dylan –

There are still spots that need to be shored up. They still need more depth at ILB, nose tackle, I’d think.

21. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Ctown –

I think, with Breaston as the No. 2, the Cards will make a big effort to find another punt return man. I think we will definitely see less 4 and 5-WR sets. And Porter’s number is unknown right now, although I have a feeling Reggie Walker is going to be asked to surrender 55.

22. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Chad D –

23. By Derek on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Any more news on the Kicker position?

24. By Peter in Canada on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

It is a signing with an element of risk but it was a necessary one. The defence has become much better. Full credit to management. I see the usual naysayers are conspicuouly absent.

25. By 949cardsfan on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Fitz I agree, those are big names, but we had big names last year too. Our prob on D has always been depth. Once the 2nd string gets in there, there is a huge dropoff, ie. Ali Highsmith, Michael Adams,Rashad Johnson. How’s the saying go? ‘Your only as good as your weakest link.’ Depth across the board on D is a defenite need. Keep up the hard work guys, and find us some impact rookies in the draft!

26. By fitzis11red on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

LaRod Stephens-Howlings should be the return man. He did a fantastic job last year. He did everything he could to help Matt and the cards beat Tennessee with that kick return for touchdown. Had some other good ones too.

27. By fitzis11red on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Oh, my bad your talking punt returns. duh!

28. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Derek –

Comon. You guys know I will say something if I know something.

29. By Patrick on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Defensive needs:

1) McFadden was our worst starter. Maybe he can be coached up to find the ball, but nighmarish season. They need to coach him up something huge or cut him. We can’t afford another Lost season again;

2) Rolle next worst, despite a handfull of huge plays he was lost on twice a as many plays where he gave it up huge, and it took him what, 4 years to get to adequate?

3) Depth is need, but as much at BD as LB or OL.

4) Attitude, fierceness…those were never concepts assocatied with Rolle or Dansby, it is with guys like Dockett, Haggans, Porter, Wilson. We need MEN on D. They need to bring that out in DRC, Branch Watson, Iwebema, Brown, Davis and Campbell, who is on that track. And we need to kick Rashad’s behind or move on. Lost season for him too…inexplicable after we were sold on his high Football IQ, playmaking ability and the ‘Bama coach endorsment. What we saw was Lost in Space.

5) makes me wonder about the coaching…how could McFadden, Adams, R. Johnson and Rolle have been so bad, simply lost, so much. It can’t be a function of the OL and LBs failing to get pressure, we got a lot of pressure this last year…even as Coach said with J Peezy signing, we needed blitzes to do it… pressure is pressure.

No more 45 point blow ups: my wish for ’10 season.

30. By fitzis11red on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, True enough 949. As we all know hopefully Porter can be an every down player in 2010 and get those sacks or pressure to make the secondary better. That will definitley help reduce the points and big plays they gave up there at the end. However, like you said we need quality depth to spell those guys now and again.

31. By Gordo on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

when will u have more info on the news confrence?

32. By lemar on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

i dont care what nodoby say. it’s a great deal

33. By Bobf on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Can somebody now pay Dockett?!

34. By Buddy Hensley on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been reading a lot about needing another CB, I like what I saw out of Greg Toler last year in his limited play. I still think we need another DE opposite Campbell, that’s the possition I would address first in the draft.

35. By Dave (The Optimistic Season Ticket Holder) on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I am optimistic again with this signing, and going into the draft, especially after the way our off-season started. Perhaps getting Darnell done is all we (fans) would ask for this off-season. Darnell has become the “the Voice” most of us want to listen to now. Moreover, he is now become “the guy” most of us want to hear from when tough times are upon our team. I am sure he must have the same effect in the locker room as well. This player despite (what he obviously brings to the field) are way to special to screw around with. Please pass my message on to Mr. Graves if you can :). I am only one many fans, but we got your back nine-oh!, just like you got ours!

36. By Chris on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

The choices for something like NT don’t seem to be that deep in this 2010 Draft. I’ve done some research on Terrence Cody and he seems interesting considering his work ethic. He was told to drop down to a certain weight, I think roughly 30-45 pounds less and weighed in at 349 lbs at his Pro Day. He was 354 at the Combine and in the 370′s during the Senior Bowl.

Also looks good on tape.. run stopper.. fills big gaps..

Obv NT is a big need for us. DARREN — Which do you see us picking up.. another ILB, OLB, or NT for our first pick?

37. By FightON on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Great job! Joey Porter is a big name for our current players and for the kids who are waiting to be drafted, smart move by the FO. As stated before, linebackers can make an instant impact as rookies for their teams…I believe the last four DROY have been linebackers, and last season, two were nominated for ROY, those players had veterans playing along side them, teaching and encouraging. Defense wins championships, with a balanced offense to manage the clock, we can keep our defense fresh so they can dominate the opposing offense.

38. By PWalker on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Give credit to the Bidwills! Lord knows they deserve it after taking years of abuse for the failures! The biggest signings this year were; Rod Graves and Ken Whisenhunt, let’s not forget who made those signings. Here, here.
    I would not be surprised to see the Cards take a gamble on Tebow if he is available, insurance for the future. That being said, I think Matt will be great, when he was a starter we didn’t have a line that could pass block, or a running game. That is why he got hurt, remember?
    Other than that, I think TE Jermaine Gresham out of Oklahoma, at 6’6” and 265 he would complete the offense. From that point the rebuilding is done, we will only need to reload after that.
    All other draft picks go to the defense; they are still a couple of years away.
    Darren, didn’t we draft a world class speedster last year to return kicks? Didn’t he do real well in a couple of preseason games and then got hurt? Wasn’t he lost for the season? Who was he and will he be back?

39. By Mack on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

-Darren

Any news on Breaston? Also do we want to resign Sean Morey or is he testing F/A

40. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

YAY!!!! We got Joey Porter!!! did everyone seem to forget about Baggs also? Canadian football leagues sack leader last year, ye he is a Cardinals, member? and our two rookies that were OLB and Clark Haggans. Seriously, we improved our OLB core by like 500%. Great Job Managemenet. We got Hayes and Lenon in the middle without any decent backups to help them out, that is where we need to draft and possibly find another MLB that is let go in the 3rd round of FA after the draft. I believe we are fine at NT given all the lineman we have to rotate aroundfrom DE to NT and what not. This is a position that a rookie could step in and excel at though(NT).

41. By Cards Fan Forever!! (JAVY) on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Well Mr.Urban I totally knew that the Cardinals were going to sighn him and he WILL be a very good player for our team but we filled all our gaps so far but we still need a talented wide reciever to replace boldin and jeremy urban

we have larry steve early only three main people we need one more person when we do our 4 wide reciever plays Do you think the draft might help on this??? Or even maybe having a little chat with Terrel Owens or maybe even Marvin Harison?? Do you think they would help our team inprove to make to the SUPERBOWL in TEXAS??? THANKYOU GO CARDS!!!!!!!!

42. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Offensively, I believe the cards should persue a great TE, no matter what pick we hav eto use to get him. Sounds odd, but, We need a 3rd reciever and we need that 3rd reciever to be a TE so we can run PA and jumbo package pass plays without losing quality perfromance at the TE position wether its blocking or passing. This I believe is the CARDS number one need left. TE is like an offensive lineman, which everyone always needs help with, and a reciever, which we need now, all rolled into one. dont have anyone specific in mind, dont know college that well, anyone have any idea who the best TE will be in the draft?

43. By Mark on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Makes the Draft easier. Joey Porter gives time at the OLB to develop. Now if we want to wait until next year for OLB we can. Only two positions where we need starting quality is at NT and ILB. We can pick up a Pitta (who I think will be a Dallas Clark type of player) or Chad Jones, or Gilyard or Owusu-Ansah or Gerhart (wouldn’t that be a 3-headed monster with B. Wells and Hightower) or… whoever would be a great value. Porter provides flexibiliy in the middle rounds of the draft. Good signing in both short and long term.

44. By chris freeman on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

With the cutting of Darren Howard (DE) from the eagles how likely are the cardinals looking strengthening the end positions on the other side of Calais

45. By CardsRep928 on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Dansby and Rolle who? HAHA…Told you all…In whiz I trust

46. By chris freeman on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

mcfadden was rather embarrassing last year… his lack of spped outplayed his physical game, hopefully Greg toler continues his productivity after his performance when h got play time towards the end of last year… it seemed Toler was the only CB making plays in the first game against packers when DRC was out.

hopefully we keep two picks in the 3rd round… there may be a few cb left in there

47. By Tony R. on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Awesome deal good job cards 2010 should be a good season for us!!!

48. By james on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

when will the press conference be?

49. By Mr. Know It All on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Bill Davis we are counting on you to get this Defense to work together and dominate. Looking at the teams we play in 2010 some have said the CARDS will have it easy but this is the NFL so you gotta bring it!!!!!! BLITZ!!!!!

50. By Secret on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Since the Cardinals suffered the biggest offseason loss among the NFL, they had to be the most aggressive in their signings to make up for it. I think they have done this. Porter replaces B-Train Berry (and is probably better), Rhodes replaces Rolle, Anderson replaces Leinart’s backup position just as well as Leinart backed up Warner. All I can see the cards need to replace is an ‘all around MLB’ guy, but hopefully one of the players that got hurt last year can step up to it.
    The cards, in my opinion, also need: (in no particular order)
    A pass blocking right tackle,
    get Dan Krider back,
    a second CB to replace mcfadden at that spot of the roster,
    and a pass rushing NT.

51. By Shannon Robinson on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Interesting to look at the current post for ‘Depth Chart’ – J.Porter is already listed (looks good) – you can tell what they’re going to draft and there are players not even listed on the Depth Chart who will be competitive for roster spots (Stevie Baggs, Mark Washington, Dean Muhtadi, Keilen Dykes, Reagan Mauia, Trumaine McBride, D Byrd, and O J Jones). Add seven or eight draft choices and this Roster is pretty tight. Signing Matt Ware and a kicker and whoever we bring in from our own UFAs – the Cards are ready for the draft!

52. By Sean on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Was so happy to see Docketts tweat on this one!

Im looking forward to snagging a good CB in the draft now.

53. By chad d. on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

darren, so they’ll probably look in the draft for a CB? I can’t stand mcfadden, not even ONE pick this season, hw gets burned all too often, and he started how many games?
    Also, do you know of any other players visiting the valley?

54. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Gordo –

What news conference?

55. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

Depends on who is available.

56. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

PWalker –

I don’t anticipate Michael Ray Garvin coming back.

57. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Mack –

What news would there be on Breaston? He hasn’t signed his tender yet. Morey is a free agent. I do think the Cards want him back.

58. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Cards Fan Forever –

The Cards are not going to sign an old receiver, no matter how big the name.

59. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

James –

No press conference is scheduled.

60. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Chad D –

I don’t anticipate many more FAs visiting besides kicker Jay Feely.

61. By jetsreamgreen81 on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

What about Micheal Ray Garvin the free agent spriner/db from FSU we got last year that injured his knee in the preseason. He was lightning quick and could take over punt return and help on kick returns. He looked promising until he hurt his knee. I would agree we need to focus on D depth in the draft, a good OT if available and a WR with return abilities unless we get a DB that can do so.

62. By Gordo on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

sorry press confrence.. my ? wAS ALREADT ANSWERED THANKS

63. By hong on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

So Darren I know you’ll let us know when you hear anything but I do have some questions and what your opinion would be on the cardinals making these two moves… first with our lack of depth at ILB im curious if they might consider making an offer on someone like Kirk Morrison… with only a third round tender itd be almost the same deal as what they were just considering with whitehurst but with a proven player who help carry a very weak defense, second and lastly do you think it would be a good move for the cardinals to go after colt mccoy in the draft i think he is a stud player and could be the leader this team needs since i have my doubts about anderson or leinhart being tough enough

64. By hong on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

oh and to everyone else let me just say that today is proof we have a reason to be proud of our cardinals. their making smart moves and actually trying to keep a winner on the field and i have never been more happy or proud of this organization

65. By cactus jeff on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

I think they go OL or NT in first 2 rounds and put their faith in the young guys to stepup at LB. We need to get stronger up front to keep our strong-hold on the NFC west. Biggest difference between Saints and Cardinals was OL last year.

66. By Sean on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

What do you think of Joe Haden? He possesses qualities similar to that of DRC, and I think would be a great pick if for the Cards if he falls low enough. Do you know if they are looking into him or anything of that matter? What are your thoughts?

67. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

This is a list of players that I really like and I think these players should be there when we draft in each round, each player fits the needs we have on the team.

1) JERRY HUGHES (OLB) TCU
    2) CAM THOMAS (NT) NC
    3) AMARI SPIEVEY (CB) IOWA
    3) JAMAR CHANEY (ILB) MISSISSIPPI ST
    4) BLAIR WHITE (WR) MICH ST
    6) CREZDON BUTLER (CB) CLEMSON
    7) NATHAN OVERBAY (TE) EASTERN WASHINGTON

It’s likely we may have a compensatory pick, if it turns out to be in the 3rd round, then QB JOHN SKELTON would be on this list.

68. By alex u on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Okay I made two Mock Drafts for the Cardinals (4 Rounds).

Mock Draft 1.0

Other Options:

#26 DT (NT) Jared Odrick
    #26 DT (NT) Terrance Cody
    #58 OT (LT) Vladomir Ducasse
    #89/#90 CB (RCB) Brandon Ghee/ OT (LT) Kyle Calloway
    #122 CB (RCB) Kevin Thomas/ TE Dorin Dickerson

I am pumped for this draft! As you can see.

69. By Socal on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

DARREN,
    WHY DO NFL TEAMS USE A DIFFERENT GUY FOR PUNT RETURNS AND KICK OFF RETURNS???

70. By TucsonTim on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Porter has been to 4 pro bowls and Dansby has been to ??? What a great off season this has been and the best is yet to come.

Anybody looking for hotel rooms in Dallas, say around FEB 6th, 2011?

71. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Hong –

If McCoy is around in, say, the third round, maybe. I doubt sooner. Graves said earlier in FA the Cards weren’t looking at Morrison and now that they signed Lenon, I think they stick to the draft.

72. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Sean –

Haden is projected as a first-rounder, probably before the Cards pick. He didn’t run great 40 times. I think, with Toler, they are looking front seven in the first round.

73. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Socal –

Not all do, but it is a different skill set. KOR needs pure speed and the ability to fearlessly hit up into gaps. PR needs a different kind of fearless, catching the ball in traffic and having the ability to make people miss.

74. By chocks on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

sean weatherspoon is the best ilb in the draft no brainer if he is there

75. By blackie on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

porter signing with the cards is a good deal so everyone saying its not does not know about football and need to watch more games he is a good defensive player and the cards need him since the sorry ass karlos dansby left to the dolphins we dont need his money hungry ass

76. By alex u on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

If LB Sean Weatherspoon or NT Dan Williams aint there for us at #26 then LB Daryl Washington who scouts say he’ll be a very, very, very succesful weak ILB in a 3-4 defensive scheme in the NFL, should be there for us (expected early 2nd round). NT Cam Thomas looks like he could and should drop to us in the 2nd round aswell (expected late 2nd to early 3rd). So yeah, i am liking, and looking forward to this draft.

77. By Richard- on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Great signing of Porter and D A. I was beginning to think we were reverting back to the Cardinals of old before this week. I have come back from the ledge though!! We can now concentrate on ILB, OT, NT, or TE early in the draft. It is nice to be in the position now to truely take the best available player in the early round now that some or our holes have been filled this week.

78. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

I know this is common knowledge, but I’ll just throw it out there anyway. In 84′ the Nets had a need at center and drafted Sam Bowie ahead of Michael Jordan. I think most people would agree, that the best approach going in to the draft is to take the best player available, the reason for that is, if you get caught trying to fill a need, you could end up with Sam Bowie when you could’ve had Michael Jordan.

79. By Sean on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Yes I know he’s projected first rounder, but as of now it seems CB is a major concern for this team. I have also read around and many are saying Haden is falling in draft projections. Perhaps its wishful thinking :/

However, what do you think the chances are that the Cards do grab him if he somehow manages to fall to the 26th pick? And if they don’t, what position do you think their looking at for their first round pick?

80. By darrenurban on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Sean –

Well first of all, while I’m not saying the Cards are in the top 10 with their cornerback situation, I disagree it is a “major concern.” DRC is a Pro Bowler. McFadden was not great, but there are many teams that suffer a dropoff at the No. 2. And they believe Toler will develop into something good. I think if they can get a better non-blitz pass rush, the cornerbacks will suddenly get “better.”

81. By William on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Do you agree that we could use a new punt returner? You know, to limit Steve Breaston’s workload, since he’ll be the No.2 next year. Who’s out there in the draft/free agency that can punt return?

82. By Sean on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

I suppose. McFadden was pretty much picked on all year, but with the pass rush seemingly better, perhaps opposing QB’s wont have all the time in the world to find that open receiver. I completely forgot about Toler, I think he played pretty well on the few occasions he got in there. He shows potential.

83. By carlo7000 on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

darren
    even if we have just signed porter we can also still grab an outside linabacker with first round..i think we were succesfull in the draft also because we were looking always for better player available

84. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren, with you being a paid Cardinals employee, can you provide clarification on whether or not Matt Ware is signed? Nfl.com has posted him a 2010 Cardinal for 2 weeks now.
    Also, when do OTA’s and minicamps officially start?

85. By Tyman on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Sean listen to darren everyone is down on mcfadden, but he was elite cb with the steelers. Its all the lack off pass rush, Mcfadden is a great cover man if the qb dosnt have all day to tread the ball in to the recievers. We lack good tackling at the DB position, that the only major weakness out on the corner. Should draft a pass rusher or and o-line in the first, im sure we will get a gem in the first, we have been good the last few years dont think it will change.

86. By Todd on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

If Weatherspoon or Hughes are not available, if I were the Cardinals, I would look real hard at Boise State burner CB Kyle Wilson. The Cardinals were continually exposed for lack of depth at CB in the playoffs. This friggen Wilson kid may be the fastest player coming out of the draft. He has run a 4.3 40 and he has strength as well with lots of reps on the bench at the combine. Michael Adams, hey I love you on special teams and as a nickel back or dime back, but sorry, you are way too small to cover one on one at the corner position. DRC, Toler and Wilson would be a great trio at CB while moving the snail McFadden to nickel situations. There aren’t many first round middle linebackers worth that pick so if we don’t get one of the few, go with Wilson and draft a middle linebacker in the 2nd or 3rd round.

And I will say it again Cardinals, look hard at Rob Gronkowski as a future pro bowl tight end in the second round.

87. By Todd on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren you are so right about needing a pass rush. Isn’t it amazing how good the pass rushers make the defensive backs look on teams with good pass rushes? And it has to be without blitzing. QB’s are way too good on this level and always find the hole when you blitz.

88. By Frankie on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

ok so we need a MLB,NT,DE of defense and a TE on offense to complete our team but with a good tight end we could get away with 2 instead af 4 that all suck.

DARREN-

we have 4 tight ends under contract but they all suck I mean betcht can block but that’s about it none of them are a threat at all you think we could pick one up in the second round pick knowing this year is strong for TE I know that would round off our offense did you see what finley did to us in the playoffs….

89. By pacardfan on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

I think the Cards will be better than many think due to the retirements of Berry and Warner and the lost of Dansby and Rolle. Getting Rhodes was huge, but getting Porter for a cheaper cost than keeping Dansby (whom I love), is not bad at all. Gives more $ for other sit. Matt should do fine and Derek as a back-up/pos. comp. for start job, will be fine. I just hope they resign Rackers who has been an outstanding kicker for the Cards. Yes, he may miss a few clutches, but remeber, his kicking ability both FG and onsides, ect. are a big reason why Cards. have improved as well. Hopefully we can get Weatherspoon , Spikes, or N. Bowman (Penn State has been producing good LBs the past few yrs.).for the 1st round or 2nd. McCOy or Suh would be nice, but they will be gone. Odrick or Morgan would be nice in later rounds and if avb. late, get Tebow or L. Brown at QB if Brian ST. isn’t back. Getting Sean Morey back would be nice as well, He and LSH are huge factors for the ST!

90. By Tbru on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

“In 84′ the Nets had a need at center and drafted Sam Bowie”

Portland

91. By Tbru on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

draft projections don’t mean anything as long as Oakland has picks and can blow everyone’s mock drafts out of the water causing better talent to fall lower slots than anticipated

remember 15 years ago when it was the Cardinals that always caused Mel Kiper Jr. to throw his note cards up in the air and scratch his head, glad the Raiders took over that distinction.

92. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

I am very excited that we signed Porter, but I am hearing that they were about to sign Kamerion Wimbley from the Raiders. Do you think there is a chance thay may go ahead and add depth to the position and sign him as well, or would he be too expensive as a free agent? I was checking out his stats, and for a young LB, there not to bad! He is averaging 5 sacks a year, and he has the silver and black attitude. Just wondering. Talk Later.

93. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

I can solve our BD problem. Sign Dre BLy or Ty Law, or both. problem solved.

94. By Bill on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

How are Brandon Keith & Big Baby progressing ? Would love to see those two on the Oline.

95. By K-DUB on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Can a player playing his first year on a team earn a captain spot or do you have to be on the team at least a year.

96. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Mar 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

This may be early to ask this especially with free agency going on now, but who are the FA next year? The reason I’m asking this is because it seems like the Cards try and replace guys through the draft, so I’m wondering what/who they may be replacing through the draft, and if that will dictate their selections instead of filling wholes for this year.

97. By Dre on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

I think the Cards had to sign Joey Porter, especially after sleeping on Larry Foote for 9 mil. and getting Lenon Paris the same day Foote signs with the Steelers. Foote had similar number as Dansby with Paris only having half the tackles as a middle linebacker. Do you think we have a chance on really become a legitimate top ten defense….we missed a good opportunity there.

What’s your take on this Paris guy from the Rams?

I think Joey Porter will bring a lot to the team. He will be a good leader on the field and in the locker room as was Bertrand Berry, who retired. He will bring some toughness and attitude to a defense who finished 20th overall (17th rushing & 23rd passing). And maybe we want get dogged out on NFL Network as much anymore. It seems they like the way he speaks his mind.

98. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

obviously I meant DB problem. my bad. but im serious. I prefer Ty Law, he can show DRC how to shut it down, and make McFadden step up his covering awareness. I believe Mc is a very good corner, especially against the run. YA’ll watch this year

99. By Shannon Robinson on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

blackie -

There’s not one Cards’ fan who wouldn’t be glad to welcome back Los. Your rant about one of our alumni doesn’t reflect the respect a lot of us have for one of our greatest players who did so much for this team and community.

100. By moe16 on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

darren i agree toler he is another drc but just needs a little more time to develope but will be great i predict we take the confrence again and hopefully a superbowl

101. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

William –

I have no idea who is out there. But I agree they will look for a new PR with Breaston at No. 2.

102. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

Ware is not signed.

The first minicamp is the first weekend in May. OTAs start after that.

103. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Tyman –

Just to clarify, I wouldn’t call McFadden an “elite” CB with Pittsburgh. They let him walk away in FA. Teams don’t do that with “elite” corners.

104. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Frankie –

There is a chance the Card could draft a TE. But to say the current tight ends are bad I don’t think is correct. Are they Antonio Gates? No. But some of it has to do with use. I think Ben Patrick can be effective. They just don’t use him much.

105. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Lone-Eagle –

I think PFT might have overplayed that. The Cards may have looked into Wimbley, but that was when he was with Cleveland. The Browns then traded him to Oakland in the last week or so.

106. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

DRC –

Law can’t play anymore. I’m not sure Bly is better than McFadden. It’s never that simple.

107. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Bill –

I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of them starting this year.

108. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub –

Anyone can be a captain.

109. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Sittin –

Well, I’m not going to go over the whole list now, in part because it’s still up in the air. If all the guys who are tendered just sign one-year deals, they will all be up — Breaston, Lutui, Watson, among them. Leinart will have to have his deal reworked because his money skyrockets in 2011, and both Dockett and Fitz will be going into their final years in 2011 so they will need to be redone (especially Fitz, who can’t be franchised).

110. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Dre –

As far as Foote, could he have helped? Probably. But it’s tough for me to see that both the Redskins and Cardinals passed on a guy who ultimately signed to be a backup and then freak out because he wasn’t signed. He didn’t exactly get rave reviews in Detroit, and the Steelers cut him the year before. It’s not like they missed out on Patrick Willis. He’s more well known than Lenon, and maybe he is slightly better, but that’s all. I don’t know much about Lenon the player, but I have heard he is a great guy to have in the locker room with both attitude and work ethic.

111. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Tbru-

You’re right it was the Portland. I really got to stop drinking!

112. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

for the record, I like ol MickyFAdden, I dont want Bly to replace him, just to come in for our nickel corner and push our other DB’s. I was thinkin more of Ty Law for the job, I love that guy. Didnt know he couldnt play anymore. I would just rather have an old man expirenced in the NFL than a young player in nickel and dime situations.

113. By alex u on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

we could draft CB Brandon Ghee or or CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah in the 3rd round and let one of them, McFadden, and Toler, battle it out maybe. And about Larry Foote, we’ll there is LB’s better then him in the draft, Sean Weatherspoon, who could fall to us, Daryl Washington from TCU who will most likely be there for us in the 1st, Brandon Spikes who could be there for us in the 2nd and Donald Butler who we could get in the 3rd round. Not a big deal, it’s like people keep forgeting about the draft, this is no where near our final team yet and, we’re definitally getting another LB on our team, and i would assume 2 LB’s.

114. By alex u on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

damn my grammer is terrible.

115. By Brett on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

The Hyphen should return punts, Rolle got burned in the playoffs while Rhodes was part of a top ten defense, =Unfortunately it was Boldins time to go and with what we already know of Breaston and how dOUCET HAS EMERGED WE WILL BE JUST FINE AT RECIEVER I LOVE the addition of Porter and Derek Anderson didn’t have S%$# in CLE to work with aside from Braylon Edwads, who, in my opinion reall isn’t that good, so Anderson should help step Matt’s game up who I am just praying will turn out as good as he was in college (overall college record was 37-2, 1 of those losses was a championship) and if he is we will def be a superbowl caliber team again. Dansby I think was a tad overrated and would of been upset if we paid that out cause we would of been left short in some areas. Graves and THE WHIZARD are doing a phenomanol job and I have been a cards fan since 88. LET”S GO CARDS

116. By Cards Fan on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

So if Breaston only does a one year deal, is it not out of reach that the Cards will draft a WR early?

I would assume they will draft a nose tackle in the first couple rounds regardless, and that Hadnot or Bridges or either Keith/Johnson is Lutui’s replacement

117. By Jeremiah on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

On the BPA topic, though not as big as the Bowie/Jordan thing, but being a pistons fan it hurt seeing them draft Darko over Carmelo Anthony with their #2 pick.

118. By Chris freeman on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

any word around the office if grave/wizard production may be willing to look at Pacman jones as a low value high impact player for the cards. being that most contract he sign now will include high securities for teams incase he gets in trouble

119. By alex u on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren you think there is a good chance that the Cards sign a another LB (ILB) or NT before the draft? Because Graves does not like like to “force” a pick, and as the roster stands right now a LB and NT is a need for this team.

120. By Scott H on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Well, now that we have Porter on board, the big question is – what else does Dockett know about who might be coming here??? He obviously knew about Porter…

121. By Nathan H on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

-Darren

Is there any interest in picking up Toby Gerhart in the draft? He seems like he’d make a great FB or TE Conversion.

122. By fitzis11red on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

While we are talking LB’s and CB’s, I would like to just share a thought. You have already mentioned that if we could generate a non-blitz pass rush It would make McFadden a much better corner. I agree whole heartedly. Can you imagine if we can do that? DRC could shut down his side of the field and Wilson and Rhodes….offenses would have to guess which one… can stay back in coverage more as well as blitz when the situation of the game calls for it. I mean this secondary could be elite as a unit if we could get say.. 10 to 12 sacks by one guy and the others on the front seven remain solid. This “D” has the chance to be awesome scary. Then run the ball and kill the clock and be efficient on third down passing……. Can we say ’91 Giants? Cards have a great chance to be very successful this season.

123. By fitzis11red on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

ooops. I meant ’90 Giants.

124. By chad d. on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

darren,
    who do you like that will potentially be available by the time the cards get their 1st round pick? I’m not sure now with the signings of two linebackers that they’ll go with an LB considering they have the young guns as well. if not an LB in the first, what position has needs besides NT and OL?

125. By fitzis11red on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

I just looked up our sack total from 2009 and we had 42 sacks as a team. If one guy, I don’t care who, can provide 10+ more… Holly sack lunch Batman!!! We could be AWESOME. I hope i’m not just dreaming and that this could come to reality.

126. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

No way do the Cards consider Pacman.

127. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Alex U –

There is a chance. But they may wait to see what develops in the draft and go from there. They still would like Bryan Robinson back.

128. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Nathan –

I think Gerhart wants to be a tailback.

129. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Chad D –

Picking 26th, it’s impossible to know for sure what will be there.

130. By 949cardsfan on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

To all of the self impressed pretend GM’s.

Please stop with all the mock drafts. You are not a GM, nobody cares who you would pick at any point in the draft. Leave the war room draft boards to the professionals.

131. By carlo7000 on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

949CARDSFAN
    HEI CAME ON!!! TAKE THE LIFE EASY..MAKING MOCK DRAFT IS JUST FUNNY..THIS IS NOT A BLOG JUST FOR SERIOUS PEOPLE LIKE YOU

132. By Buddy on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

With all this talk about secondary help, what do you think the chances are of the Cards taking a look at ex-Bear Nathan Vasher?

133. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Buddy –

Not sure that is a direction they will look.

134. By Eazy E on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Hey darren, did jay feely visit yet? Heard he was going to visit this weekend. What’s the latest on him and any other ufa/rfa/draft news?

135. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

The way I see it, is that as fans, we all have the right to express our opinion. If I want to do a mock draft I’ll do it- that’s my opinion! Who are you – you have no right to tell me, a grown ass man or anyone else, for that matter, how to express an opinion. If you don’t like it that’s your problem.

136. By alex u on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

949cardsfan -

It’s not that hard to see what the Cards are going to do in the draft, LB and NT are the biggest needs for us right now and i am sure you agree, and being a hardcore NCAA football, NFL, and Cards fan, i’m just putting the pieces together. Honestly i think you’re the only one, or one of the few here, that doesn’t like mock drafts, they’re fun to make, and see at what others think. Next time think before you type, “Leave the war room draft boards to the professionals.” OBVIOUSLY.

137. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Eazy –

I haven’t heard anything new. Trying to have a semblance of a weekend off. But I don’t expect that to happen quickly anyway.

138. By michael mcnamara on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

hey darren, with the fact that we have money freed up by not having to pay warner, dansby, boldin and rolle, and with the fact that we do not have an above average DB core, would it make sense to try and sign darren sharper. or is that a waste of time (with the fact that he might just be using another team’s offer to get a better offer from NO.

139. By darrenurban on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Michael –

Why do you need Sharper? You just spend two draft picks to acquire Kerry Rhodes.

140. By Eazy E on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

Lol Darren!!!

141. By Brayden on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

As much as ima miss Q. I’m glad we have Breaston, he’s gonna be great this season.

142. By Ken on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

We need OLB’s badly!!!! Jerry Hughes is the pick at 26, if he’s available! F@ck Weatherspon or Kindle! Hughes has the most upside of anyone at OLB in this draft!!! Hughes all day!!!! NT, CB, ILB, OT, with the second and third round picks and it’s all good!!!! In Whiz and Graves we trust!!!!!! Listen to the die hard fans….please!!!!!

143. By Ken on Mar 21, 2010 | Reply

WR Freddie Barnes in the middle rounds! of this draft!!!!!

144. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

To everyone who wants morrison

He plays in a 4-3. Switching to a 3-4 is not easy. Example would be Jon Vilma. He played in a 4-3 his first couple of years, then the jets went with a 3-4. He didn’t not produce so they trade him to the saints. Guess what defense the saints play… You guessed it, a 4-3. He is back to the old vilma. I am not saying it can’t be done. But to give up a three for someone that might not work out isn’t worth it. I don’t want to insult anyone, but this is the madden video game. You can’t just sign people and thats it. I remember when we were in the top ten in the draft. Boy it was easier to see who we were going to get then. Anyways, thank you Darren for giving us the opportunity to share our opinions with each other. WE ARE THE TEAM TO BEAT IN THE WEST!!

145. By michael mcnamara on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

darren, my reasoning for the question is that i knew that sharper played both corner and free safety and i thought it would be a great defensive tandem between wilson, rhodes and DRC and sharper

146. By chris freeman on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Yeah i knew cards consider the pacman … just throwing ideas out there… can wait till the draft and training camp… gives me a reason to get out of tucson and into arizona…. the Zoo doesnt do much justice…. all the animals look sad and deathly…theyre waiting for the new season too.

147. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Michael –

Sharper cannot play CB.

148. By chris freeman on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren at this point how do you feel the defense is shaping up, i keep hearing we need help at the LB spot, but i just feel we still haven’t looked at the tackle depths enough. what do you feel is still the major need and what do you think is highly obtainable in the draft?

149. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Mardy Gilyard out of Cincinnati would be an interesting pick as a later round WR with big-time special teams capabilities. He’s a bit undersized but has huge big play capabilities. Played an amazing game against Pitt in the 2009 Big East conference championship.

150. By Patrick on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

J Peezy on Doug and Wolf: “On Game day, when we come down the tunnel, We Trained Assasins”. .Giddyup. now THATS what I’m talking about.

151. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

Front seven will still be a target, I think. Anything is obtainable in the draft.

152. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

So, did Darnell get the inside scoop from management or Porter?

153. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply