No comp draft picks

Posted by Darren Urban on March 22, 2010 – 3:40 pm

The NFL released the compensatory picks for the 2010 draft today and the Cardinals did not get one. While there had been a lot of talk earlier about possibly getting one after losing defensive end Antonio Smith last offseason, I guess it was offset by signings like cornerback Bryant McFadden, to the point where comp pick guru AdamJT13 had already guessed the Cards were out of the loop (that link, by the way, explains well how the comp pick formula basically works).

The picks announced today, again, were based on last offseason. This month’s free agency transitions will affect the 2011 draft. In short, the Cards could come out ahead — possibly. Players have to be actual free agents (the contracts expiring) and not released, meaning the loss of Antrel Rolle won’t help but the signings of Joey Porter and Derek Anderson won’t hurt either. For now, the Cards’ 2011 comp formula will be Karlos Dansby/Jerheme Urban vs. Paris Lenon/Rex Hadnot.

UPDATE: Here is AdamJT13’s explanation on the Cards’ situation for this draft: “Arizona signed two qualifying players and lost two qualifying players, so the best the Cardinals could hope for was a net value pick, but as I projected, the difference in values was not enough to warrant one. Had the Cardinals not signed Jason Wright, they would have received a third-round pick for Antonio Smith.” I believe the players were McFadden/Wright vs. Smith/Terrelle Smith.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “No comp draft picks”

1. By carlo7000 on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

darren
    can you let me know if the reason we didnt get any compensatory pick after we lost antonio smith is due to the sign of wright….my god for a player like that we miss a pick…the front office couldnt know that?????

2. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Carlo —

If you are managing your free agency based on hoping for a certain comp pick, you aren’t running your football team correctly.

3. By Bobf on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

We should get 3 or 4 for getting McFadden.

4. By "Q" on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

URB so why arent you as profeicent in these comp picks as AdamJT13 is?

5. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Q —

He’s smarter than me.

6. By Shannon Robinson on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Jason Wright was a great acquisition for the Cards. He does a lot of work that is unheralded by some fans. He is the lead blocker for Hyphen on kick offs – that job requires him to pick the gap the return will be run through. He is also an excellent lead blocker from some of the special two back third down formations. He is a dynamic runner after the catch – I remember the crafty play he made on a short screen in traffic for a touchdown this last season. Wright is one of my favorite backs – I hope he gets more touches this season.

7. By Roy on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Well and good Shannon but he is not worth a 3rd round pick. However, as Darren said you can’t base making roster decisions on compensatory picks the following year.

8. By Ditship on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

I hope we’re never passing on a player in FA just because we want a high comp pick the next year. Wright is a solid backup and contributed in STs.. Please note that Special Teams were probably the best they’ve ever been this last year.

9. By Roy on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

A 3rd round pick in a deep draft like this could land you a starter in a year or 2. Wright will never be a starter. However, you are right about the special teams and right about passing up FA’s.

10. By Ben on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

All of you are complaining about the wrong person. Wright is a good player and we need him. Mc-no-turn is the guy I would trade for a 3rd round pick in a heartbeat. Hell I would take a 7th round pick for him. No, just get rid of him, Ill give you a 4th round pick to get him off the team. He is horrible!!!!

11. By CMacyn on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Whats your opinion on Kelien Dykes, I think he is a big, athletic guy and i’ve been waiting for him to get a shot.

12. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn —

I think he remains in the mix as a reserve defensive end.

13. By Roy on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

“Mc-no-turn” I like that. How bout McBurned, Mc-no-tackle, Mc-no-cover. It amazes me how many people on this site support him (including Darren). To me he was the absolute weak link of the defense and unless he was hurt needs to be sent packing. I bet the Steelers are calling us Mc-idiots.

14. By CMacyn on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren your knowledge is appreciated..

15. By RAPHE on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

I live in Oklahoma and watch every cards game on NFL ticket now, moved here from Az 10years ago. I am very excited to see what direction they go this season. Matt really showed flashes his rookie year and I think he can be a quality QB. RB is solid with Beanie and Hightower, receiver position strong but needs depth. Im really impressed with the defensive moves they made to recover from their losses. The contract extensions of Whiz and Graves show this is not the same Organization that we loved to beat on.
    Wishing you a great and healthy year. keep up the good work Darren