Now where on free agency

Posted by Darren Urban on March 22, 2010 – 4:58 pm

General manager Rod Graves is in Orlando right now for the owner’s meetings. I’m not sure exactly what happens with the Cards now in free agency — I am trying to get that answer — I wouldn’t be surprised if the plan, at least until the draft, is to chase a few of the Cards’ own un-signed guys like Bryan Robinson and then wait until after the draft to see where else the roster needs talent.

One spot the Cards will keep considering outside in free agency is kicker. Jay Feely is still in play — he finished up his visit Monday — and there remains the option of bringing back Neil Rackers. Safety Matt Ware, despite earlier reports elsewhere in the NFLverse, has not yet re-signed and I don’t get the sense that’s imminent. I still think he eventually returns. Wide receiver/special teamer Sean Morey wants to return, I believe, but he has yet to re-sign and took a visit with the Seahawks.

UPDATE: Well, I was partially on track. I heard back from Graves, who said the Cards will continue to consider free agents. But if the Cards sign players from elsewhere, they would “likely be to replace some of our own UFAs that we do not have agreements with.” That’s the category Feely would fall under, and would come into play, it would seem, if guys like Robinson, Morey, Ware, linebacker Monty Beisel, quarterback Brian St. Pierre or fullback Dan Kreider don’t return.

I think the free agency market will be very interesting post-draft. Veterans who are waiting now for bigger potential deals probably aren’t going to get them, and historically it’s even harder to get a decent deal after the draft because teams have filled up their holes with new talent that can be home-grown. What happens to Mike Gandy or Chike Okeafor, for instance (other than that they won’t be in Arizona)? And will anything change this week, after NFL owners are going to get the low-down of exactly where things stand with the impending labor problems?

Tags: , , , ,

39 Responses to “Now where on free agency”

1. By Patrick on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren: What’s the Club’s issue with Rackers? He was outstanding when not injured. Is that it?

2. By adam larson on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

I do hope that the CARDS turn to their own un-signed guys…. especially Steve Breaston and Sean Morey.>>> I just looked at the roster and there’s only 6 WR’s on it!!! 2 being Edward Gant- who has great size at 6’3″ and the other is Onrea Jones. Both guys I believe were PS members last year? So Darren, does this mean that we will now be looking for a WR in the draft, mebbe even with one of our third rounders…

Can any other fans tell me who may be available at WR in the mid rounds??? Kinda seems like low availability on good WR’s this year?

I hope that Porter can also turn some of our OL into TRAINED ASSASSINS as well! LOL

3. By John on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Any chance the Cards would keep Gandy or Okeafor if at a much lower cost? or they are gone regardless?

4. By Pay9-0.com on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

What’s next?……

PAY 9-0.

:-)

5. By Mathew on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren–Something that I have not heard addressed is the need to fill out the wide receivers. Of the six that we started with last season, only three (Fitzgerald, Breaston and Doucet) are still Cardinals. The depth chart lists Morey as a WR, but he is unsigned. What is your take on what the cards will do to fill out the WR complement? Can Larod Stephens-Howling fill in as a #4 wideout? :-) (I love to watch him play!)

6. By Mario8267 on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

I say redo Docketts contract! He’s worth top dollar and he will be a fore to be reckoned with!!

7. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Patrick —

I think my blog entry on the subject addressed those things.

8. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

John —

I think the Cards are going in a different direction than both those guys.

9. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Mathew —

They may look there in the draft. They will sign some lesser known guys, hoping for a diamond in the rough. And there is a chance, after the draft, they look at veterans again.

10. By Eazy E on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Forget Rackers, I hope the cards definitely sign Feely. Feely had an excellent year with the jets and has some of the same intangibles as rackers(great on onside kicks, pooch kicks/punts, tackles on kickoffs, makes clutch kicks, etc.)

11. By Dan on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

I wish we signed Cameron Wimbley, dude is a young stud and pretty cheap too….we missed big on that one.

12. By Dan on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Or Kamerion Wimbley…..heee

13. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Dan —

Wimbley wasn’t a free agent and was traded. And he is cheap because he has a year left in his contract and is looking for big money or free agency. Tough to say the Cards “missed big” on that.

14. By Shannon Robinson on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

The Cards list 68 players on the active roster. Six of those players listed are Unrestricted Free Agents. The Roster is interesting because some UFAs have been dropped : Chike, Gandy, R. Brown aren’t on the list anymore. Ware is the most important free agent for the Cards now and maybe he knows it. My guess is all six of the free agents listed on the roster received minimal offers and the Cards are standing pat. Time and patience will bring them into the fold. Remember though when we sign a free agent outside the organization from now on we’ll end up cutting a young developing player later. Riley Cooper is my choice for a WR in the later rounds.

15. By TucsonTim on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

How many game winning field goals vs. POTENTIALLY game winning FG’s has Rackers made. (I really don’t know)

We all know about his incredible stats on a team that couldn’t find the end zone with both hands. The fact that he is still an unsigned UFA is testimony to how the other teams in the league feel about him. And Neal if you do happen to land on another team, when it’s close to the end of regulation and your team is on…say the 28 yd line, you might want to have your helmet on, ready to go in and kick a chip shot.

Just sayin. But…you do your own thing man. Good luck.

16. By alex u on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Adam –

Here’s some WR’s, in my opinion, will go 3rd/4th round.

Jordan Shipley (Texas)
    Mardy Gilyard (Cincy)
    Mike Willaims (‘Cuse)
    Jacoby Ford (Clemson)
    Marcus Easley (UConn)

Jordan Shipley would be cool but, i don’t think we’ll draft a WR till the 5th or 6th round.

17. By pacardfan on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Wish list for Cards. and their own RFA/URFA

Re-sign Rackers. He’s been with this team thru the worst to the best and is a great kicker!

Re-sign Morey. Guy is an outstanding SP player and would make a good 4th WR. He has lots of heart too

Re-sign Kreider. He is an outstanding blocker and will only help improve the running game. FB’s are slowly fading and he is one true FB who can catch as well.

Get Breaston a new deal

Get 90 a new deal

Make DL, LBs the prop. in the draft and get a QB and OL as well as a TE and CB in the draft then a WR. CB postition should be pretty well. Toler may give McFar. a run for his money and take the starting job from him. Toler looked damn good in the post season exp. with limited experience.

18. By mark on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

I am from southern california and a cards fan since the freaking rams left Anaheim. I just couldnt be a fan of a AFC team and the cards were the closet team and honestly tickets were easy enough to get at sun devil staduim back in the day. Now i split season tickets and drive the five hours to see them play four times a year along with my NFL sunday ticket I have to have so I can watch every game. I love arizona tho and plan to retire there except those speed picture things on the 10 freeway, Haus Murphys in Glendale is the best by the way. My point is the cardinals now have fans from everywhere which shows the growth and populairty of the team. After the cards took some hits with free agency and the retirement of Warner I was a little worried the team would regress. But with the signing/trades of Porter, Rhodes, Anderson and of course Whisenhunt and Graves, I see this the cards not missing a beat and continue to be a sucessful franchise for years to come.

19. By DWizzle on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Any Chance the Birds bring in Shawn Andrews or even bring Levi Jones. Would’nt cost muchfor Jones. He still has alot of ball left and he’s a Devil!
    With our OL coach, he could be back at the pro-bowl in no time

20. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

I like what PA card fan said, minus the QB. WE need to concentrate on other things and we alredy have two good QB’s to fight for the job, we can get a QB first round next year.

I like RAckers and like I said before, we have lost to many fan favorites already. That being said, if coach signs a better kicker for a better situation for our team. I will not complain.

I dont believe in keeping players for “special teams” this is not the “special olympics” this is the NFL. sorry Sean, I likes JJ Arrington too, but if you cant make the team past SP, then your gonna get cut. SP if young developping players.

I said a while ago it seems we ar emaking way for a big splash at skill position in the draft. wonder who it will be?

21. By Dan on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Well maybe we will sign Wimbley next season….hehe! Still, I would have traded something for him and then try and work out a deal long term.

22. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think toler will out perform bryant. Toler was playing behind mike adams, and ralph brown. I don’t know why everyone is picking on bryant. Would you rather have Eric Green? How about David Barrett? Reynoldo Hill? Come on guys, Mcfadden is a step up from what the cards have had in the past. I do think Toler has a chance to be a good player, but i think he will be a project coming out of St. Paul.

About the draft. First three picks should be D. First pick, linebacker, second pick nose tackle, third pick CB. Now with the second third round pick, you go best player available. Whether that be a QB that slipped, WR that slipped, maybe an olinemen. Now that is my opinion so don’t jump all over me.

23. By Eric on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Get rid of Rackers, he’s great on onside kicks, but terrible with game winning FGs, which is waaaay more important. I’d take Feely over Rackers. I’ve had enough of Rackers. We can’t count on him to win a game for us.

24. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

DWizzle —

I don’t see Jones. He’s had too many injuries and they want to develop their young guys. Andrews has had so many problems, I don’t know if he is worth the risk.

25. By chad d. on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

ctownbeatdown- are you serious? mcfadden didn’t have a signle pick all season! even adams and toler had one!

26. By Jahstone on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

D-Wizzle –

I have to agree with Darren…we brought in Hadnot to shore up the guard position, re-signed Bridges, and actually have 2 or 3 young guys that could start soon.

When is the last time our O line looked that good?? Heck, we might even have a pro bowler this year if we do real well with the run!!!!!

27. By cody on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

do you think we could trade up in the draft for Sean Weatherspoon??? and if not, is it a possibility that he could fall to us??? every mock draft ive seen has the Giants taking him, but ive learned to never trust a mock draft, so im not sure. I think hed be a really good fit for us and would fill a hole that Dansby left in our defense.

28. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Cody —

I don’t see the Cards trading up.

29. By John on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

I’m with Cody about Weatherspoon. Its a situation where best player/biggest need fit perfect.

Where we go next is;
    1. Jeremi Johnson FB – huge guy who blew open holes for Ced Benson and could do the same for Beanie.
    2. Bring back B-Rob at nose. Huge need.
    3. get ready for the draft

Weatherspoon will not be there at 26 in my opinion. I would give up one of our 3’s to come up past the Eagles at 22 to get him. Giants take McClain, who drops to 15.

30. By Dick on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Given Matt Ware may be gone, Aaron Francisco is a FA, late of the Colts roster. Do the Cards not like him? All I remember is that he was around the ball whenever he played. What can you tell me?

31. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Dick —

Francisco returning could be possible if Ware doesn’t, but they want Ware back.

32. By alex u on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

John –

i think Eagles might take Kindle before Weatherspoon, and maybe even Graham.

33. By alex u on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

But yeah i want Weatherspoon aswell.

34. By DWizzle on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Jahstone-

I understand your points on OL, and yes the OL looks great on paper but I’m not sure on Brown’s abilities and does the signing of Hadnot mean Lutui is out the door?

35. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Dwizzle —

Lutui will be back in 2010. Beyond that, we will see.

And even if you are unsure on Levi, you can’t be serious that you think an aging and broken down Levi Jones, or a messed-up Andrews, is an upgrade.

36. By richard romero on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

is greg olsen still want to be traded, and if so do the cardinals have any interest?

37. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Richard —

I don’t think the Bears plan to trade Olsen.

38. By Lisa on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

This year’s Combine, much like it did in 2008, could send a couple of running backs, once viewed as middle of the pack material, to the upper part of the NFL Draft.

39. By lietimecardinalfanfromkansas on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

sigm donovan mcnabb from eagles and get steve breaston signed