Porter seeking “trained assassins” with Cards

Posted by Darren Urban on March 22, 2010 – 10:36 am

New linebacker Joey Porter did an interview with Sports 620 KTAR this morning, noting that he never wanted to land anywhere else but Arizona (which seemed obvious) and that his trip to Washington may have expedited the process. As for his penchant for talking, Porter said he thinks coach Ken Whisenhunt was not only aware but comfortable with what Porter brings to the table.

“He knew exactly what he was getting, a guy who gets fired up on game day,” Porter said. “When it is time to rally the troops, I am going to make the main guy all the way to the last guy on the roster, when we come out of that tunnel, they can be whoever they are during the week but on game day, they are going to be trained assassins.”

As has been said before, Porter was a very good fit with the current Cards and where he stands in his career. “Arizona was my No. 1 choice from the beginning,” he said.

There is little question Porter brings with him attitude, which might be one of the reasons defensive tackle Darnell Dockett was so excited to see Porter come aboard. “None of the bullying stuff is going to happen to us,” Porter said. “If any of the bullying stuff happens, it’s going to be us on defense.”

Tags:

56 Responses to “Porter seeking “trained assassins” with Cards”

1. By pjdylan on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

I’m glad to hear Porter is fired up so early. He and Dock are going to be awesome.

2. By Nick Pepe on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Great interview. I think he adds another dimension to the team and if the young linebackers get to benefit from this, even better still. I think this offseason has gone from bad to great with the recent acquisitions. We got a safety, depth at Ol and Mr. Porter. I look forward to the draft where the Cards have had success in the recent past and the upcoming season. High hopes!

Darren- anything more on Rackers or is that in a holding pattern.

Nick

3. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

“MAN I’M JACKED UP ABOUT THIS!”

4. By julian on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

our defense is rising !!! DRC,WILSON,RHODES,DOCKETT,PORTER, keep it coming !!!!

5. By TucsonTim on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Interesting that he used the bullying bit. 49′s bullied the Cards for 2 losses. That shouldn’t happen again.

Thanks for the update

6. By azcards65 on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

defense is looking better now lets hope same goes for offense. darren any words of comfort?

7. By Patrick on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

” When we come down the tunnel on Game day, we trained assasins”. J Peezy.

Whiz is rebuilding it better than it ever was. God, I love the Arizona Cardinals Football Club. (Season ticket holder since the late 80s, btw, fwiw).

8. By NPstv on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

This is exactly what we needed, some aggression and exitement to get our D pumped and to keep them pumped throughout the season. One thing Dansby lacked was getting the team psyched.

9. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Nick –

Nothing new.

10. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

azcards65 –

You need me to sing you a lullaby?

11. By Woody on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

The lone Card fan in Georgia!! I can’t wait! I have been so feelin’ this upcoming season!!! Go Cards!! Whoop that Tail!

12. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Oh Yeah! Loving the attitude already!!!

13. By ryan on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Man those quotes by Porter are awesome! I need a Porter jersey!

14. By adam larson on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

wow darren, u sounded a lil like J Porter with that comment to azcards65, LOL.

So, looks like LB’s will be Haggans, Lenon, Hayes, and Porter? Or will there be competition for the Lenon spot btwn Lenon, Baggs, etc?

15. By fighting bird on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

We are cardinal fan me & my wife and we live about 40 miles from panther stadium here in carolina and we are ragged all the time. We cant wait until the cards come to town,we WILL be sporting the BIG RED colors in that . WE DO THIS TOGETHER !!!!!!!

16. By Chris on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Excited to see what Porter has in him still. He will definitely make a good mentor in terms of his skill set to our younger guys and will definitely bring a ton of energy onto the field.

Should be a great season!

17. By TucsonTim on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Julian -

Don’t forget Stevie Baggs, CFL all star and sack leader.

18. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Oooohhhhh!!!!!! Sends chills up and down my spine!! Dockett, Porter, Campbell, Haggans, Robinson, and Hayes!! I feel sorry for some QB’s this season, who am I kidding, NO I DON”T!! It’s time to crush the opposition, take no prisoners, and crush them when thier down. I love Porters attitude “TRAINED ASSASSINS” Gotta love it!! GO CARDS!! What do you think Darren, too much?

19. By Frankie on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

you serious and I thought I was the only cardinal fan in Georgia!!!

20. By Kevinator on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

I agree Ryan. I had Danby for the last 3 seasons. That one is worn out. I had two, one signed and on the wall and the other unsigned which I wear since Wilson signed my 24. Porter will be my next jersey, I hope the Cards offer it so I can buy it from them rather than custom build on NFL.com. I’d rather the Cards get the proceeds.

21. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Adam –

Baggs is an OLB. Beisel, if he re-signs, will be in the mix. Highsmith too. And there will be draft picks. But yeah, if the season started today, it’d be those four.

22. By Dave on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Cards fans in the Southeast rising up! I am in S. Carolina.

23. By James Sancto (the English Cardinal) on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

nfl.com has declared that Hamza Abdullah has re-signed with the Cardinals.

24. By K-DUB on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Do you have any idea of why some reports are listing B-Train as a free agent? He’s retired ain’t he?

25. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub –

Yes, he is retired.

26. By alex u on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Two questions for ya Darren; How much cap space do the Cards actually have now? And next year is it likely that we will get a extra 3rd round pick, maybe two, for losing Dansby/Rolle? I’m not exactly straight on how that works.

27. By Feather on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Porter??? Still not convinced, Y dont we go and sign seau next??

28. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

HELL YAY!!! the ARIZONA ASSISANS CLUB!!! where do I sign up for that shit? I say we go 11-5 this year. we got this. I’m so excited. Division Champs for 3 years. I can taste that. I want that superbowl ring. It’s on like Donkey Kong.

29. By Darthcard on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Joey and the cards please make sure you bring the assasins and not the ass-asins. Green bay is still scoring and I swear I saw drew brees cover his eyes with one hand and still complete long balls. I love the additions but please don’t let me or any cards fans ever see 90 points scored on us in 2 games? Please?

30. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Alex U –

1) Cap space is moot. We are in an uncapped year.

2) I explain some of the comp pick thing for 2011 here.

31. By cicofja on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Dockett and Porter —– the ultimate 1,2 punch on the defensive line

32. By Tyman on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

nice dirt kick pic

33. By Ambassador on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

I wasn’t too hyped over the Porter pick up until seeing this. Please Porter teach DRC and Rhodes to hit and not stray from contact!!! Trained Assassins!

34. By Richard- on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Exactly what we have been missing on this team!! Dansby and Rolle sure didn’t have it. A little bit of attitude!!

35. By 98CardsFan on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Here comes the new DESERT SWARM!!!! Top 5 defensive rankings is what i will predict.

36. By Beauchamp on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren when is the first “meet the players” session gonna be? I’m getting open back surgery and never get to play ball again after my Army days…. it’s horrible too I played some good ball I was hoping to go get back to D1. I want to get the Joey Porter jersey I’m surely going to by signed and frame that. A player of his magnitude w/ Dockett…. enough said. This D Line looks like it will be monstrous. Iwebema is a solid no. 2 rotation guy and Branch is better every year. He will get double teamed a lot with his size. Think about it Dockett and Branch crashing the gaps and Porter rushing the outside w/ big Gabe up in the middle. By the way when are we bringing Gabe back?

37. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Beauchamp –

There will be an autograph session for the open minicamp practice, I’d guess. That’s in early May.

Watson will be back. He’s been tendered an RFA contract.

38. By Jolly Card Fan on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Who would win a fight, J-Pizzy or a grilled cheese sandwich? I would normaly say a grilled cheese, but Porter plays by prision rules so I’m going to go with him. Any thoughts?

39. By Scott H on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

Are you expecting Cody Brown to be starting at LB this year? And Greg Toler at CB? I hear people getting all fired up about the defense but Porter and Nine O can’t do it all by themselves, ya know? We need to be solid at the positions I’m asking about here if this D is going to get it done this year. So…that means we’re either counting on these guys ( Brown and Toler ) to step in play OR there must be someone else still available in free agency OR could there be a trade in the works??? I know you don’t have crystal ball, but do you agree with my opinion that there is still a need at LB and CB for this team?

40. By alex u on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Sorry, i ment how much cap space would we have if we were in a capped year? Not really important, i’m just curious to know. If you don’t know, then just answer this, what was our Max salary to spend this year if it were uncapped?

41. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Scott H –

I think Cody is a long-shot not only because of the Porter signing but also because he got zero experience last year. Toler has a shot. I expect both will play significant roles, however.

42. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Alex U –

To be honest, I’m not even paying attention since it is a moot point. This is what profootballtalk.com wrote recently on the subject.

43. By Big Red on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

I would love to see tony romos head rolling in the middle of the field, once he gets hit by PORTER AND DOCKETT.

44. By Chuck Anderson on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Mr.Porter is a baaaaaaaaaad assssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

45. By Tbru on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Cards fans in the Southeast rising up! I am in S. Carolina.

Me too

46. By Patrick on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Loved Hightsmith on Specail Teams, but my guess is he gets cut. Too bad, shares first name with me wifey. Also, bet we draft an inside backer (or 2) within first 3 or 4 picks.

47. By CardsRep928 on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

The FO and the whiz are slowly but surely getting us to forget about the losing days arent they? New attitudes, new players, I agree with some of you our D was already great against the run now with some swagger maybe we can lead in SACKS. As far as our offense goes I think with our new found ground game…”Wear” Hightower and “Tear” Beanie…Fitz and Co. will help make Leinart the king of the play action pass, and maybe JUST MAYBE if we are lucky they will give even some of the best Defensive Coordinators nightmares on how to defend the middle at 10 (Doucet), 20 (Fitz), and 30 (Breaston) yards respectively…IN WHIZ WE TRUST….Checking out from Lake Havasu City

48. By Javy on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

yea now there we go porter talking like a man now lets see if your talking is as good as your playing on the field dont you think darren???

49. By Thomas77 on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

After Joey Porter was signed I found this on Rotoworld.com, powered by MSNBC:

“The Cardinals’ three-year agreement with Joey Porter is worth $17.5 million in base value. Another $7M is available in incentives.
    And they cut Antrel Rolle? And wouldn’t pay Karlos Dansby? Aside from the suddenly penny-pinching Redskins, the Cardinals didn’t have serious competition to get Porter, so the pricey contract is shocking. It also means Porter is going to be an every-down player. The move comes days after GM Rod Graves made Derek Anderson, perhaps the league’s least accurate quarterback, one of the higher paid backups in the game. Graves usually makes sound decisions, but he hasn’t had a good week.” http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=653

Personally, I find it kind of irritating that there always seems to be media skepticism with the Cardinals choices during this offseason. More specifically on that site. Although, I’m sure there are quite a few others who may think or feel the same way as the author of that entry. Even I have to admit that my jaw dropped (just a little) when I heard the details surrounding Porter’s contract. It seemed a bit pricey to me too. However, when I think about it, it seems to me that this shake up in the defense isn’t really as bad as it looks. I mean, let’s admit, the Cardinals defense was ranked 20th last year, and 19th the year before. While it seemed they were making progress, and at times were a solid defense, they also took quite a few games off and would look terrible; and that was with Dansby, Rolle, and Berry. These three guy’s were good; but maybe this defense was too comfortable playing with each other. Maybe letting them go and bringing in some other guy’s, with a different mentality, will jar this defense into better, more consistent action on the field. Maybe paying Porter a bit more than he may be worth (some could argue) isn’t so bad if he brings a better attitude. Dansby was a core player, and Antrelle was on the rise, but their loss may also be a good beginning for a new defense with a stronger attitude. There’s an adage that says “familiarity breeds contempt”, but I also believe that familiarity can breed laziness or contentedness (is that even a word?). In the end, this change to one part of the core may be just what the Cardinals defense needs….

You disagree Darren?

50. By alex u on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Thanks, that’s exactly what i wanted.

51. By Thomas77 on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

P.S.

…when I use the words “better attitude”, I don’t mean that Dansby and Rolle had bad attitudes. I merely mean that the change to the core could cause the defense to focus better, allowing them to actually grow and get better as opposed to being so comfortable and complacent, as they may well have been….

52. By darrenurban on Mar 22, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 –

I think we will see how it plays out. If the Cards have a better defense, they will be praised. If they have a worse defense, they will be criticized. I think Dansby and Rolle are good players who got great contracts because of their free-agency timing, which is how every player hopes will happen for them. I think there is so much media out there covering the NFL (including me, I suppose) that there will be always those criticizing as well as those in support. I think that, frankly, unless a reporter is around the team on a daily basis — and there are few of those covering the Cards — it is difficult for me to think that person can fully understand everything going on, whether it is to criticize or to praise.

53. By Wampag on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

ABOUT TIME we need some swagger GO CARDS welcome JOEY

54. By LUKE on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

javy-porter is one of those players i have enjoyed watching.trust me when i say he CAN definately back it up.i think he was brought in not only for his ability,but his expierience.in whiz we trust!!!!

55. By Andy Miller on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

HIT SQUAD!!!!!

56. By Thomas77 on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

You’ve got to be kidding….
    Even if the Cards don’t do something about this, Goodell will be. Wonder what the impact will be to our team….