Signings and a new wideout

Posted by Darren Urban on March 23, 2010 – 10:27 am

Some small moves went down today. Tight end Ben Patrick and fullback Nehemiah Broughton each signed their one-year tender offers — Patrick was a restricted free agent, so he doesn’t have a chance to sign any offer sheets anywhere now — while the Cards also brought back safety Hamza Abdullah. They hadn’t tendered Abdullah, but bringing him back as depth potential isn’t a surprise, especially since Matt Ware remains unsigned.

The Cards also added a receiver to the roster, and he’s a local guy. Darren Mougey went to San Diego State but he prepped at Scottsdale Chaparral High School, which also produced center Lyle Sendlein (oh, and a certain azcardinals.com writer too). Sendlein was a senior linebacker calling plays for the Firebirds when Mougey was a sophomore safety. Later, Mougey became Chaparral’s quarterback in leading them to a state title, and went to San Diego State as a QB. But the 6-foot-6 Mougey was eventually moved to wide receiver for his last two seasons, when he totaled 66 catches for 805 yards and seven touchdowns. He was signed by the Falcons as an undrafted rookie last year but cut before the season started.

With Anquan Boldin and Jerheme Urban gone and Sean Morey potentially leaving for Seattle, the Cards suddenly need to think about the position. The only other wideouts behind Larry Fitzgerald, Steve Breaston and Early Doucet are practice-squad holdovers Onrea Jones and Ed Gant.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

72 Responses to “Signings and a new wideout”

1. By CMacyn on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Would Mougey be used as a slot WR? thats if he even gets the job.

2. By pjdylan on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

The WR positions haven’t really needed the Cards’ consideration for about 5 years. Darren, do you think Fitz’s numbers are going to go down with a renewed interest in establishing a solid running game and the uncertainty at the QB position?

3. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn —

I think Mougey has a long way to go just to make the team.

4. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Pjdylan —

Not necessarily. I still see him as a 90-catch, 1,100-yard, 10-TD receiver.

5. By OMGimGood on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

I like the signing… But hope Sean Morey doesn’t leave. He was very important to us I think… Hopefully we can resign him, and with Mougey now too. We should be set at Widereciever. Now let’s hope Matt or Derek can get them the ball!! Go Cards!

6. By chrisfreeman on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

with Fitzgerald who learned alot from boldin in arizona teaching these young wideouts, hopefully arizona consistantly push out well educated physical future stars. ( breaston and doucet for example)

7. By James on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

That guy looks more like a tackle eligible than a WR. Always nice to add a little depth before camp though.

8. By Jahstone on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Let’s focus on Morey returning punts again and being a viable fill in at WR 4…that is where he is best if we re-sign him…Special teams is a bonus, but shouldn’t be his main position!

9. By Billy Thomas on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Well I must say that a 6’6″ WR does sound like a lot of fun, but I have a feeling he will be a 5th if not just a fill-in when the season rolls around. Also, as far as the Sean Morey comments about a WR 4 go, I think the Cardinals are a team right now that still wants to thrive on a viable passing attack, which means we probably need more than just a WR 4 fill in, we need a real WR 4. Now, if you said Morey for a WR 5, that might be more in the cards for the Cards.

10. By Dave on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

I wonder what the guy weighs? By the pic he almost looks like a candidate for TE…

11. By chrisfreeman on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

he might be able to block and convert to a TE

12. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Dave —

Mougey is 6-6, 230.

13. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Marty Gilyard – WR/KR – Cincinnati

14. By K-DUB on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

I hear that T.O. has three teams talking to him…we’re not one of them are we? Also does this Mougey have speed or leaps? looks pretty big for a receiver.

15. By nor cal cards fan on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Urb- Don’t you think the whole Matt Ware situation is very strange? Is there any way you can shed some light on the situation, because obviously something is holding it up? I realize that it’s most likely about money as ususal, but how much fighting over money can there be with a backup?As u have stated on many occasions, he’s very important to the secondary and should have been signed weeks ago. Every major sports news outlet in the country reported it was a done deal two weeks ago,as well as Kent, and it’s still not done. It’s not too often that happens…and now that i’ve went on my little rant about it, i’m sure he’ll be signed tonight. If that happens, i apologize for wasting your time.

16. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub —

Words cannot express how much T.O. will not be a member of this franchise. Mougey is a former quarterback. I don’t know a ton about him as a receiver, to be honest. He’s got an uphill battle to make the team, I’d guess.

17. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Nor cal —

I would guess it is about money. But hold on for a moment. I don’t know if every major outlet said it was done. NFL.com said it was done. I don’t remember ESPN saying such. I don’t think Kent did either — he might have said it might be close, but he never said it was done. I have no idea why the report came out the way it did, but clearly, it was premature. Matt, I would think, wants to stay. Maybe he is hoping against hope the offer gets better. But in these cases, it usually doesn’t.

18. By John on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Mougey is a camp guy. If he makes to the first preseason game, he did good for himself.
    As for WR,
    We have 3 young and talented guys who hopefully will be here for a long time. WR is not an area of need at all.Jones and Gant will have every chance to be the guys. Dont forget Larod Stephens Howling played some slot in 4 WR sets last year.

Corner is a concern. There are several very good punt returners who are also talented, big corners. We should not waste a pick on a punt returner/WR.

19. By John on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    If you want to bring in a guy to compete for the #4 or #5 spot, What do you think of Demetrius Byrd ?
    He was good with LSU, and may be worth taking a look at after being released by the Chargers.

20. By Boris on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Hello Darren and other cardinals fans.
    First time commenting there. I agree with some,he has the size for the TE,and i think,he will have tough job to make the team,maybe that’s just an ilusion. We have 3 good receivers,and i also think,that we dont need to waste a pick on WR also.
    Greetz from Slovenia,Europe!

GO CARDS!!!!

21. By DHALL on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Otis-

Marty Gilyard…….I like the idea!! Little small but for a slant route runner and KR it’s a perfect addition.

Any input on this Darren??

-DHALL

22. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

John —

Don’t know much about him.

23. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

DHall —

I think they’ll need another receiver at some point. Don’t know a lot about Gilyard.

24. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Good move getting the Patrick thing done. I think he is underrated and can be a solid tight end in the NFL.

The whole Ware situation is weird. At training camp last year, he almost got cut but stayed because Francisco made more money. So he wants to be that guy this year then?

A lot of talk about a guy who was cut by the Falcons before the season started. WR is a need in my opinon, especially with Breaston and Doucet having injuries over the last couple of years, and Fitz’s good luck without really getting hurt. The 4th WR is only one injury away from playing a significant role and only two injuries away from starting.

With Morey, does the question finally become, does his play on special teams outweigh going with a different guy who can also play a offense/defense position. When healthy he was always activated, so it meant a loss of depth at a offense/defense position

25. By Nick Pepe on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Boris- welcome to the red wave! Best blog in the NFL and only one I have ever visited.
    Glad that Patrick is back (I live right down street from U of De).
    I too would like to see depth at WR, maybe even before taking a linebacker. They say it’s a deep draft on defense side, not so much at WR.
    Please no T.O. Not even for what I make a year!
    But I think we will all have to wait for after the draft to fill the depth at WR.
    I have no suggestions except for Kevin Curtis and I think he was solid but now washed up.

26. By John on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Gilyard ran a 4.61 40. He is thin and can’t get off the press against NFL corners.
    Not impressed with the guy.

Nick, you would take a WR before a LB ?? Really?
    Do you know we have an aging Hayes and a guy who should back up in Paris Lenon as our two starting ILBs ?

Our needs are simple, ILB, OLB, NT, in the first 3 rounds (4 picks)

If in the forth, we look at Riley Cooper from Florida or Jacoby Ford (4.28 in 40) , then OK. But no way does WR jump over defense in the first 3 rounds.

27. By BDMag on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Nice to see the board has Cincinnati fans, but there is no way we draft Gilyard. Pike maybe, but not Gilyard.

28. By Scott H on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

I think that with Warner moving on and an emerging force at RB in Beanie Wells, This offense isn’t going to be quite what we’ve seen the past few years. The passing game should not be as prominent if things are going as they should. That said, Yeah, I am real concerned about the lack of depth at WR right now! I mean, other than one break out game in the playoffs, what do we really know about Doucet? Seems to be loaded with potential but…that doesn’t always pan out AND he’s been injured more than he’s been healthy so far in his career. Boldin and Fitzgerald have been such a constant here for so long that it’s scary to suddenly be without one of them. I think the loss of Jeremy Urban is more significant than people think. I’ve wondered about Kevin Curtis since he was recently released by the Eagles. He’s a better version of Urban when healthy ( at least he HAS been in the past ) and he could be a GREAT addition to this team if he is healthy again and ready to roll. And the Eagles are pretty stocked with young talent at WR, so it’s not like they tossed Curtis because he has nothing to offer…Darren, who else is even available that you might consider worth getting excited about? Do I dare even mention the fact that Terrell Owens is curently un-employed? Not crazy about him, myself, but think about it…Fitzgerald, Breaston, and Owens on the field at the same time? That’s a lot for any defense to handle!

29. By Ken on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

WR Freddie Barnes from Bowling Green in the 4th round.

30. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

Owens is not coming to Arizona to be a fourth receiver. And no, he isn’t going to be used ahead of the other guys. And last I checked, he was still looking for big money. Let’s not slip into goofy fantasy football, or thinking like my kids when they trade every good player on to their team for their video games.

Any veteran coming here is going to have to understand he is going to start off as the No. 4 in an offense that probably won’t use four wideouts as often as it used to, so that is going to make guys leery.

31. By Jeremiah on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

I would look at Marvin Harrison before I would think about T.O.. Not sure what kind of money he is looking for but he would be a great mentor and teammate for a season or 2 at most. As for Gilyard, we already have a kick returner in LSH. If the guy can return punts maybe we would look that direction in the seventh round, but that’s the only way I could see the Cards drafting him.

32. By Bunka on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Do you think the Cardinals would have any interest in Kevin Curtis? He is a high character guy, very intelligent, and has the speed (when healthy) to be the verticle threat this team needs. He could potentially be a low risk, high reward type player. Just a thought.

33. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Bunka —

The name has come up often around these parts. Is he OK as a fourth WR and special teamer? That’s the question.

34. By Words of Wisdom on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Ottis Anderson Fan-

I agree I think he’s a very good player, reminds me of DeSean Jackson (Eagles).
    Even though he ran the 40 in 4.6, it didn’t stop him from making plays. He is definately a playmaker, at the end of the day, that is what it’s all about. The more playmakers a team has the better it is for the team. You can never have enough firepower, if you can add another weapon to your arsenal, it only makes the team more dangerous.

35. By Secret on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Sean Morey I believe was critical for the success of the ST the Cardinals had. They need to keep him

36. By Jeremiah on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Words of Wisdom-

I completely agree about the playmaker part of that, because there is more to making plays than just speed. However as far as Deshawn Jackson goes, he is a burner with 4.3 40. They might have other things in common, but speed definitely isn’t one of them.

37. By Bunka on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

When you say Curtis’ name has come up a lot “around these parts” are you referring to the blog, or the team facilities?

38. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Bunka —

On the blog.

39. By Nick Pepe on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

@ john- yes, i think if a no brainer WR fell to us, why wouldn’t it be an option? This draft is deep at LB, or so the experts say. I am just thinking that if one dropped our way that was “lock” why not? And then fill the need at LB and other spots later on. Marvin Harrison has serious legal issues ahead of him and the least of his worries is getting back in the league. And as far as Kevin Curtis, he was solid, but I say again I think he is done. But if he is unemployed in May it wouldn’t hurt to bring him to see if has anything left in the tank.

40. By Javy on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Hey Hey Hey !!! what is happening here why are the cardinals doing this??? Come on now!!! what is wrong the cards better sighn somebody now!! and somebody good too!!!

41. By Gordo on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

im with everyone on drafting gilyard…. maybe another desmond howard?

42. By Mr. Know It All on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Nothing against Kevin Curtis yet as I recall the NFC Championship here at Cards stadium it was 4th down for the Eagle’s and McNabb went to Curtis and though Rod Hood had slipped (maybe interfered), as I watched if Curtis turns a split second earlier to find the ball and makes that catch he cruises to the endzone. Instead the incompletion sent the Cards to the SB.

As for Darren Mougey I would not be surprised if he gets a look at 3rd QB. What if he has speed, can catch and hold on to the ball after contact. Give the hometown kid a chance to prove himself. At 6’6 220+ why not?!!!

43. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

O.k. let me get this straight, We sent Anquan Boldin, a 7 year vet who is a beast after he catches the ball, catching the ball, blocking, as well as every other aspect, as well as he played QB in college, to the Ravens, we didn’t resign Urban (no loss in my opinion) and Morey maybe going to Seattle!! Am I missing something? Now we are signing a reciever who was cut by Atlanta last year, completely unproven, who might not, as you put it Darren even make the team, because we are now short of recievers!!! We sent Q, one of the best recievers in the league to the Ravens, and in return we might get Darren Mougey?? Why didn’t the organization just pony up the money and pay Q? After all he did say he wanted to be a part of a team that had a good running game, and from what I have seen, we will have that next year, and my god did we ever save some bank not resigning Dansby and Rolle. Don’t get me wrong, I am thrilled about the Porter signing, not so much Lenon, and O..K. with DA, but to go out and sign a HUHH?? I don’t get it. Well, what can you do??

44. By darrenurban on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

Lone —

No one is saying Mougey is replacing Boldin. I certainly didn’t write that. And there was so much more that went into the Boldin decision than not wanting to pony up the money.

45. By ALarson on Mar 23, 2010 | Reply

any chance the CARDS could get Dez Bryant in the first roumd? That is the only way we draft a WR b4 we draft ILB, OLB, NT. I hear JORDAN SHIPLEY may go in 3rd or 4th round… think he would be great 2 have as a WR4!

46. By nor cal cards fan on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

For starters Marvin Harrison is washed up as a player and wasn’t even in the NFL last season. Also, Marvin Harrison as a mentor? What kind of mentor sends his goons to shoot somebody in broad daylight? Coach Whiz wouldn’t have him on his team.

47. By Big D on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

look at how the cards did without boldin they won games he is a real good reciever but we got some depth and personally I like onrea jones if anyone remembers watching this guy he had a knack for catching the tough pass. very good hands I think he will be a solid four steves going to be a monster 2 baby q aka early doucet is going to be huge at 3 and we are going to be good this year if matt can deliver the ball or anderson.

48. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

No Darren, you didn’t write that comment, but Urban is not a loss, Morey will be a loss on special teams, but from past experience there is always someone to step up and replace him. Morey had heart, But Q, you don’t have to say it, actions speak much louder!! Also I know it wasn’t all about the money, alot of other things went into it. I know Q is happier right now and I am happy for him, but I am still scratching my head on this Mougey signing. What if he is not able to make the team, then where are we at? Here is another concern of mine, injury’s happen at the darndest times, and with only 3 true recievers plus 2 on the practice squad, that doesn’t leave a whole lot of room for “life happens”!

49. By John on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Nick,
    The draft is deep at OLB and Corner. But this is a weaker ILB class.
    Fell to you?
    So if you have Dez Bryant, (the best WR), Sean Weatherspoon (ILB) and Brandon Graham (OLB) “fall” to us, you would take the WR to play behind our big three, instead of addressing a huge need?
    Sorry, But Glad you are not picking for us.

50. By adam larson on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Mougey played Safety in HS….. could u imagine a 6’6″, 230 lbs Safety in the NFL?

Darren, do we know anything about how fast this guy is? a 40 time or his vertical?

John… I would love 2 see Demetrius Byrd come in and vie for a WR spot/KR/PR… he would def fly with world class speed when he was at LSU!!!

51. By Todd on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I heard Torry Holt is available as a FA. He would add lots of experience and depth and is used to the Cardinals offensive passing schemes.

52. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Lone —

I guess I need to make this more plain. You need not to overreact to the Mougey signing. This team usually has 10 receivers or so in the offseason. Right now, they have six. No one is saying this is all they will have on hand. It’s March. We are a month away from the draft, five weeks from minicamp and four months from the start of training camp. Everyone needs to take a step back and relax.

53. By chad d. on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I don’t even understand why people keep mentioning marvin harrison or t.o. it’s ridiculous!

I think we have 3 solid recievers in fitz, breaston, and doucet. I think next season is the year doucet shows what he can really do.

54. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

O.K. Darren, I’ll kick back, shut my ,mouth for now and see what transpires. I really am looking forward to the draft. Also I agree with Todd, he might be a little older, but he is one hell of a reciever, refering to Torry Holt. He would fit into our scheme, and from what I have heard he is just not ready to retire yet, still wants to play the game, and probably would not demand that much. Just a hunch.

55. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Lone —

But Torry Holt is not going to want to/be able to play special teams. And you can’t carry a fourth receiver on game day who might play 10 plays a game on offense and not have him do anything else.

56. By TucsonTim on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

We all know Whiz likes to have fun running at least one trick play. Mougey’s goin to be our wild cat QB!

57. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Good point Darren!! Talk later.

58. By chad d. on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

if the rams release bulger after the draft, would the cards consider him an option to battle for back-up? or just grab a lesser known guy to be the 3rd string and DA be back-up?

59. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Chad D —

I think after signing Anderson someone like Bulger is no longer a consideration.

60. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think Gilyard will be there at 26. Even if he does, the Cardinals would be stupid to take him there. Why would you pick up a position, that you are already three deep in. You want your first round pick to be a fourth wr? There are still a couple of holes needing to be filled in this team. Defense first two picks, and MAYBE a wr with the second third rounder.

61. By Stuart on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I think Wiz should look at getting Lance Long back from the Chiefs. He had good hands and the speed to boost. Plus he knows everything about the position with the Cards offence. What do think Darren?

62. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Stuart —

I think Lance is a Chief.

63. By Stuart on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Also lets get Tylor Palko back from the Steelers. Why Wiz chose St. Pierre over him just boggles my mind. Palko has a heart for the game like I haven’t seen in a long time out of a QB. Just an opinion but he would be a great backup for Matt.

64. By Stuart on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Yeah but if we gave him something beyond just Practice Squad were he got Game Time, he would be more then happy to put on the RED and WHITE and be a CARD. I’ve always felt he deserved it.

65. By Scott H on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I think Torry Holt is done and I think Marvin Harrison is even MORE done. If we’re gonna think about old war-horses, I’d think about Issac Bruce before either of them! Darren, I was NOT thinking with my fantasy football brain when I brought up Terrel Owens! By the way, I am a fantasy football nut with one heckuva resume so…don’t mess with me! Anyway, I know Owens isn’t gonna work for peanuts but, really, what position is he in at this point to demand big money??? As far as we know, the Bills were the only team in the league that was willing to take a chance on him last year. Hard to believe it’s gonna be any different this year He’s 36 and even though he is still in great shape, the age started to show last year. It doesn’t look like he can be THE guy on a team at this point, but he could be dangerous on a team like the Cardinals where Fitz and Breaston are the main guys ( trust me, I know TO ain’t replacing either of them! ) and Owens could really take advantage. Really, I’m not feeling like we NEED T.O on this team, but…the idea of it is intriguing. And, hey, if Kevin Curtis becomes a Cardinal and makes a real contribution this year, I want credit for being the first to mention his name!

66. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

There are so many downsides of having Owens in this situation compared to upside, I can’t begin to count. Yes, he could be dangerous. IF he understood where he is in his career. IF he would play for a lot less money. IF he could handle being a third or fourth wideout. And he isn’t on board with any of those things.

67. By fear710 on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

CARDS SHOULD GET DEZ BRYANT AND SHOULD GET DONOVAN MCNABB

68. By fear710 on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

CARDS SHOULD LOOK AT JERMAINE GRAHAM

69. By Scott H on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

fear710 –

Are you giving up a first round pick for McNabb??? ‘Cause that’s what the Eagles have been asking. NO WAY he’s worth a first rounder. I wouldn’t even give a 2nd rounder for that guy. And, WHERE does McNabb fit on this team at this point??? They’ve named Leinart the starter going into camp and they just signed Anderson to back him up. So…is McNabb your third stringer??? FORGET MCNACBB!!! It’s not happening. And, frankly, I’m glad!

70. By Nick613 on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

The Cards really need to make smart choices this off season, talks of drafting WR’s in the first 2 rounds is simply out of the question. Even with out the departures of Rolle and Dansby the Cards were in trouble defensively. I think we need ILB over everything else. That being said I was reading on Revenge of the birds about maybe drafting Terrence Cody ( the 360 pound beast NT from Alabama) and I think that would be a good pick up for the Cards, a solid NT helps mask Ilb problems. No to T.O. that guy is a plague. Besides we really need to address the Defensive side of the ball first instead of trying to get distractions on the offensive side. The Cardinals have done a good job in the last couple of years or getting people we really need, and not picking up aging has beens and over paying them like we use to. (Emmit Smith,Edgerrin James)

71. By Scott H on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Nick613 –

I say show a little respect for Edgerrin James. He was NOT a has been when he signed in Arizona. And I truly believe that if he hadn’t restored the running game for this team in the play-offs last year, they may not have gone as far as they did. True, Warner was near perfect and Fitzgerald gave a performance for the ages, but…James helped make all of that possible by forcing teams to respect the run. It’s a shame his being benched during the year ( which never should have happened ) made it seem like he was washed up.

2. Aug 12, 2011: Great Googly Mougey! Cardinals sign Chaparral grad | Fanster.com - All Sports. All Phoenix.