Filling in the roster gaps

Posted by Darren Urban on March 24, 2010 – 1:47 pm

With the owners’ meetings wrapping up today and the pace of free agency slowing down, it may be a good time to look at where the Cardinals’ roster stands — and where there are holes that need to be filled by the time minicamp begins April 30.

This topic crossed my mind after writing yesterday about the signing of wide receiver Darren Mougey, who may or may not pan out but certainly isn’t been seen (at least as of now) as a replacement, whether it’d be Anquan Boldin or even Jerheme Urban. He’s just one of many receivers that will be on the roster this summer. Today, the Cardinals officially have 60 61 players on the roster, leaving 19 spots to be filled by the draft/undrafted rookies (which figures to total between 14 to 16, depending) and then some free-agent spots. There are seven veterans un-signed who could still return: LB Monty Beisel, FB Dan Kreider, QB Brian St. Pierre, S Matt Ware, K Neil Rackers, DT Bryan Robinson and WR Sean Morey (although I think Morey is more likely to end up in Seattle right now).

(On my 60-man count, I am including all the restricted and exclusive rights free agents who have yet to sign their tenders, because they eventually will.)

What spots need shoring up? The Cards need at least one more quarterback, and even if St. Pierre comes back, they need someone young, at least for camp. They need another receiver or two, although I am guessing whether they chase a veteran may depend on what happens in the draft. Remember, at that spot, a fourth receiver would likely need to play special teams and guys like Kevin Curtis or Torry Holt tend not to want to do such things.

The Cards definitely need to look at nose tackle, especially if Robinson doesn’t return. They need inside linebackers even if Beisel comes back (which I expect). They probably could use another young pass rusher at outside linebacker without knowing exactly what Cody Brown/Mark Washington/Stevie Baggs brings to the table. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them get another cornerback — you can never have too many — and a return man is also needed if Steve Breaston is going to be the No. 2 wideout.

Numbers-wise, here is the current 61-man breakdown by position:

• QB  2
  • RB  4
  • FB  2
  • WR  6
  • OL  11
  • TE  4
  • DL 9
  • OLB  6
  • MLB  4
  • CB  6
  • S  5
  • Specialists  2

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

107 Responses to “Filling in the roster gaps”

1. By LadyCard04 on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Maybe I missed it or maybe he is counted as a specialist…Ben Graham…is he signed or is he included in the specialist spot? Also is LSH considered a RB or a specialist?

On another note, last year we went to the Draft Day Party and really enjoyed it (we went on the Stadium tour and that was wonderful, we got to meet Neil Rackers, Mike Adams, Calais Cambell, Coach Lott and other trainers and they were all so nice) Will the Cardinals be hosting something like that this year and if so where will we be able to get the information? I’m sure you’ll keep us informed.

Thanks for all your great information.

2. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

LadyCard —

Graham is signed. The two specialists right now are Graham and long snapper Mike Leach. I make the Hyphen a running back, because LaRod does play in the backfield.

There will be a draft day party, but, because the first round will be Thursday night (April 22), it will be held at the Chandler Majerle’s.

3. By Skiptim on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

D to the arren –

You mentioned in this blog and another, and on your personal cell phone (that I nicely returned) about a punt returner, and how it might be a CB. Would you like, as I would, to see LSH switch to the punt returner as well?

4. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Skip —

I’m not sure LaRod can return punts. It’s a different skill set than kickoff returns.

5. By James Sancto (the English Cardinal) on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

nfl.com: Ralph Brown has re-signed with the Cardinals.

6. By Stuart on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I agree with Darren on that on Skip. You have a lot shorter time to run with Punts then Kicks.

7. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

James —

As I said before, Brown has not re-signed.

8. By Eric on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I believe nose tackle is a huge need also. That said, do you think the Cards have interest in drafting Terrence Cody with the 26th pick? After getting Porter, I’m not sure a guy like Kindle (who most people project them taking) is as much a need.

Cody would fill a huge hole. The thought of a front 3 with Cody as the big man in the middle and Dockett/Campbell on the ends really sounds intriguing to me.. what do you think?

9. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Eric —

I don’t know if Cody lasts until 26th.

10. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

draft picks by position. although, I believe TE could end up being our 2nd if not 1st round pick, I have a feeling….

#1- MLB
    #2- DB
    #3- TE, NT
    #4- WR
    #5- DB
    #6- LB
    #7- WR

11. By John on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Mt Cody would be a nice pick. But he is a guy who has balloned up to 375 before. He also is a definite 2 down guy. But there are few guys that big and that athletic.
    Although he is a second round projection,You may be right Darren. What did Parcels call guys like Cody? I think Planet Guys? Meaning there are only so many guys on the planet like Cody.

I like two other guys at NT;
    Cam Thomas in the second
    or
    Torrell Troup in the 3rd

12. By Valentino Redd on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I KNOW WE NEED A KICKER AND NEIL AND FEELEY ARE ON THE TARGET BOARD BUT WE NEED TO START THINKING AHEAD TO THE FUTURE! LOOK AT THIS KID ROB ZARRILLI

13. By Pay9-0.com on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren,May be a dumb question…but any chance DRC could fill in as punt returner?
    And will he be ready for training camp?

14. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    Would you think we would go after Mcnabb now that the eagles are entertaining offers? or with Derek ANderson already signed we might go more of drafting a QB?

15. By Ken on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Jerry Hughes with the 26th pick. We can go after a NT (Torrel Troup, Linval Joseph, or Cam Thomas) with our second or 2 third round picks.

16. By John on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Filling needs with Cards free agents is a good idea.
    B-Rob, Beisel, Kreider, Rackers, are guys we know. Then draft accoringly. Here is what I believe:

I would trade up (using a third rounder) to land Sean Weatherspoon (ILB) in the first.
    In the second, Here is a guy who could fill alot of needs with one player: Akwasi Owusu Ansah. Before you say who, This guy had 8 picks and 10 pass defensed as a junior Teams didnt throw against him as a senior. Great against press coverage.He returned 7 kicks for TDs (4 punts). Ran a 4.32 forty at his pro day. And Played Safety in nickle situations to take care of 1/2 the deep field. This one pick could fill depth at corner (he could callenge to start), A punt returner, and a guy who could play the Matt Ware spot in Nickle.

In the 3rd, Torrell Troup, a guy who could fill in nicely at NT.

Forth pick; our young QB we need, Zac Robinson. Good arm, can move in pocket, and is moving up draft charts after a strong senior bowl week and combine.

I’m now moving to not needing that passrusher due to the Porter signing and the depth at that position. But another option is Jerry Hughes in the first and using the 2nd 3rd round pick on ILB like Donald Butler or Phillip Dillard.

Just my opinion.

17. By CardsRep928 on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I agree with James Terrence Cody needs to our first pick if he is there…He is the only true nose tackle, and how sweet would it be to find our own hampton, wilfork, or williams…That is our missing piece.

18. By Derek on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I know this horse has been beaten past death, but they mentioned that McNabb is trade available. In YOUR opinion, do you think the cards would consider trading Anderson and a pick for him and another pick, so they can get a veteran and more rookie talent?

19. By Mark on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I agree with both Eric and Darren on Cody. He isn’t showing up on most 1st rd mock drafts right now but wait until the week before and I bet he is showing up in he early 20s. His loss of weight increased his draft status just because it shows some evidence that he will be professional. I would take Williams or Cody before anyone else on the draft but I fear neither will be there. Then the Cards will be left deciding between an ILB (Weatherspoon who might not be there) and an OLB (which isn’t a prime need). I am not usually a big fan of taking ILB in the first round but if it came down to Weathespoon, Kindle, or Hughes it would be a tough call. Drafting an OLB would put 5 OLB on the roster for sure.

20. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Pay9-0 —

I expect DRC to be ready by camp. And no, you don’t use your No. 1 CB as a return man, for the same reason you wouldn’t use your No. 2 receiver.

21. By Nick Pepe on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren – apparently some people think I meant I would take a WR with the #1 regardless of what LB’s or (any other position for that matter) were available. If that is the impression I gave please allow me to clarify:
    If a top shelf or 2nd shelf LB were not available and the top WR’s fell to us, I would seriously consider the top shelf WR. Depth at LB and CB could be added in the later rounds. Because if that stud D player is not available, that is what we would be initially adding anyway is depth. I would like to see an immediate impact with the first pick (and that’s rare I know). A w/r who can and will return kicks….(golden tate??) could have that impact.
    (Man- it felt like I was getting yelled at with some of those!
    Thanks!

22. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Kauai —

Can’t even answer that anymore.

23. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Derek —

The horse is dust by now.

24. By Blair on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Please dont re sign brown or adams! Please!

25. By Wampag on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey D

You think McNabb to st Louis worries us at all?

and are you hearing anything I imagine with them being a division foe wou must have some ears on them?

26. By kauaicardsfan on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

haha, I’ll bury it or make glue :)

27. By Andre on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, maybe this is a dumb question but I was watching nfl network today and they said Arizona should be going after McNabb. Do you think we should?

28. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

I think the Rams are a long way from contending even with McNabb.

29. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Andre (and everyone else thinking McNabb) —

Now I’m beginning to think you guys are just screwing with me ….

30. By Rob on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

hey darrren this is off the post topic.. but any news on breaston?
    i would have thought the front office would have signd him to a deal by now,
    any thoughts?

31. By Tyler on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    How does it look for LSH(“hyphen”) to get the KR and PR job? As of now, of course. And I really appreciate you posting new articles on a regular. I check the site several times a day and I love the reading material.

I wish the draft would hurry up and get here. I want to see who will compete for the starters. Oh.

32. By Daniel Enfield on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

I would love to see Cody in Cardinal Red. He is a huge hole stuffer in the middle and was pretty good at AL.

33. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Tyler —

LaRod will probably be the KOR but punt returning is a whole different animal and I’m not sure he’s the right guy.

34. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Rob —

Once Breaston signs his tender he can’t entertain RFA offers anymore. My guess is he will wait a bit longer. It’ll be telling if he signs Monday, when the first day of conditioning starts. He can’t participate until he signs.

35. By William on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Don’t talk about McNabb in a cardinal red uniform. That is unrealistic.

Positional mock draft:
    Rd1. NT
    2. ILB
    3. DB
    3. QB
    4. TE
    6. O-Line
    7. WR

36. By Pay9-0.com on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Well sometimes you do…few though who have been pretty good…PacMan(In Tenn.) recently…and Deion and Darrel Green both retruned….just think he has the skill set for it.Wouldn’t mind seeing him do it once or twice in the preseason

37. By 7ftCard on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Do you think we will see MRG at camp this year?

38. By alex u on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

People want Jerry Hughes ??? we don’t need a damn OLB, we need a LB or NT in teh 1st and CB in teh 2nd round? c’mon man, waste of a pick. But i do agree with John, Cam Thomas from UNC in the 2nd or Torrel Troup with one of our 3rds. ILB and NT then we can talk OLB and CB.

39. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Now that the Feely visit is almost a week ago, any vibe on how the Rackers talk is going?
    And how about those McNabb rumors. Any chance of trading him for Matt Ware and Ralph Brown, now that they’ve re-signed?☺

40. By k. on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

@ most everyone that posts

do you read? darren has written a thousand times over about mcnabb and several other possible additions to the roster. actually do you even take the time to read all the posts within one blog as more often than not darren states his opinion and yet still is bombarded by the same questions? i’d love to have b-rob, kreider, rackers and ware come back to az but i guess we’ll have to wait and see. i expect between now and the draft at least two of aforementioned to be signed back. i am so glad that az can draft – imho – bpa with all rounds in the draft. if there was any position i’d say we were extremely weak at it would be ilb and i could see trading up but only to get mcclain. mcclain will be a perennial probowler for years to come. i definitely think cb is a huge need that will be addressed in as early as round 1 as late as the 4th round.

darren i do think they are messing with you on the whole mcnabb thing. i wouldn’t even answer that question anymore. lol.

keep up the great work!

41. By Logan Cooper on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Great Article on beanie. Love hearing updates on him. I love the ground and pound game so i am looking forward to what beanie,Tim, and LSH are gonna bring next year.
    Lets get an article on Greg Toler’s progress.

42. By Mack on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

-Darren

Any chance we get McNabb?Just kidding. My real Q: What position is Baggs a rushing Lb or on the D-Line?

43. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

just read the new headline about beanie. I like what he said about god putting him here. I agree with that. not that football and religion should be intertwind in conversation. lol. just sayin, it seemed like fate that he lasted to us in the picks. hopefully the same happens this year and we draft a future leader of the team on defense. god willing :)

44. By Joe2 on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

If McNabb comes to Az, then you should get him to nickname Tim Hightower “weenie” so that our backfield could be called Beanie Weenie.

45. By cody on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

do you think its a good possibility that we take Brandon Spikes in the 3rd if we dont pick up an ILB in the 1st??? He had a horrible 40 time, but from what ive seen doing research on him he has great instincts and is a solid tackler who played well against NFL calibur guys like Knowshon Moreno back in college.

46. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

7ft —

47. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Mack —

Baggs is an OLB.

48. By darrenurban on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Cody —

I’m not sure Spikes lasts until the third round.

49. By MCNABB_IN AZ on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

MCNABB WILL BE A CARDINAL IN THE NEXT COUPLE WEEKS WATCH DARREN I KNOW U HATE PEOPLE ASKING YOU THIS BT I HAVE A REAL GOOD FEELING YOU MIGHT BE WRONG ON THIS ONE UNLESS THE TOP DOGS TOLD YOU ON THE DOWN LOW THAT THERE IS NO WAY IN ………. ?????

50. By Dan on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Donovan Mcnabb, the most interesting man in the world,
    “I don’t often entertain trade rumors to other teams, but when I do, I prefer, Ari’zona”

51. By Rich Harris on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren,
    Why does the ownership always seem to be reactionary? They sit on their wallets until they lose an important player, then they scramble and sign a player that no good team wants, and end up paying even more.
    Frustrated fan,
    Rich.

52. By pacardfan on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

To all those who ask Darren about McNabb……..Darren has posted over and over and over again…..NO. Besides, McNabb chokes too much. Take a look back at each playoff seasons he was in. You’ll notice he throws a lot of bad passes and tends to think more about himself than the team (at least that’s what media seems to pt. out) TO and Philly ‘s sit. had a lot to do with McNabb back then too. Not just TO. Many Philly fans don’t even want McNabb. (ok Philly fans in general don’t like anyone). Why would the Cards want a older Vet. when Matt (whom I don’t care for much, but he has yet to really have an opt. to prove himself. This is his chance and he shall do fine.)

53. By wildcards2008 on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Sorry if this is a stupid question who is MRG

54. By mark on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren I have heard you say that you think nose tackle is need for the cardinals, and that Alan Branch is a better defensive end than a nose tackle. I was just wondering because he seems to to have the perfect build for the position. Is it a lack of strength, stamina, quickness or something else. It seems something is a miss with him and Gabe Watson not being able beat out 36 year old Bryan Robinson who is also 30 pounds lighter.

55. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Mar 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Are the Cards going to be getting McNabb?

What position does Baggs play?

Anything new on Ware?

Whats the Rackers situation?

Are the Cards getting T.O.?

Are the Cards getting Pac Man?

Are the Cards getting Morrison?

Are the Cards getting Curtis?

Can Stephens-Howling return punts?

Is Dockett going to get a new contract?

Did we get Foote and Porter? SIGN THEM!!!!!!

Who is Charlie Whitehurst?

Who are the Cards going to draft?

Will the Cards draft Tebow?

Are the Cards getting rid of McFadden?

Will Porter’s attitude effect anything?

Will Leinart do good?

Come on Darren!!!! Stop holding out on us!!!!

Pppppffftttttt…… I read the same questions everyday!!!!!!!!!!

56. By Mr. Know It All on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

D_Urb has patience with those who have minimal football knowledge as we all should. I get a good laugh reading some of the blog entries. Not to offend anyone there is exceptional info to be found.

Even though McNabb actually owns a home in AZ the Cards have paid alot to Matt already and need to get at least one season out of him (Owners stance) but Matt is going to surprise and then the doubters will jump on the band wagon!!!

NFC WEST CHAMPS!!!!

57. By Dan on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

“Stay curious my friends”
    -DM

58. By Beauchamp on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Are any of the dates set for when the team is going to Flagstaff. I know it is far off, but I used to go when I went to NAU and talking with Kurt and the players was always fun. I’m having spinal surgery to fix my back I broke in the Army and I’m wondering if I’m gonna be able to see some of it or not this year. An estimate would even help. OH and do you think with how we took a shot w/ Buster Davis that we might draft Rennie Curran? He was great at Georgie and he is bigger than Buster was. He could bolster the ILB late in the draft. What do you think? THANKS!! I know you’re busy but your input is awesome and entertaining I read your blogs all day cause I’m bed ridden.

59. By Beauchamp on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

I almost forgot what do you think about Jamar Chaney any talk of that guy… he’s a stud but not getting much media hype.

60. By chad d. on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

don’t know too much about ricky sapp, but it says he could make the transition to LB. does working out for a team really accomplish much?

61. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Rich —

You sound like someone on the outside. I get what you are saying, but to whom are you referring? Porter? I know for a fact he is getting less than he originally asked for, and we still don’t know how the deal is structured. Usually when the numbers come out, we hear about guaranteed money. We never heard what that total is for Porter. Are you speaking of Foote? No one but the Steelers wanted Foote, and the Cards think they overpaid for him. Give me specifics. Just because the Cards don’t go out and break the bank on the first day of free agency doesn’t make them reactionary. Otherwise, 80 percent of the NFL is reactionary.

As for signing a player “no good team wants,” well, I’d argue that right now, a team that has a Super Bowl appearance and back-to-back division titles is a good team.

62. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Wildcards —

Michael Ray Garvin.

63. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Mark —

Branch played better last year but he still has his issues and, on top of that, he’d rather play end. It’s not a good combo if you are hoping he can be your nose tackle.

64. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Sittin —

That pretty much sums up the last five weeks.

65. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Chad D —

Personally, I wonder about those individual workouts, but you never know.

66. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Beauchamp —

Flagstaff dates have not been officially set yet. Once we know the first preseason game, you just count backward 15 days for the start of camp. Usually it’s the very end of July.

Unfortunately, I know nothing of Curran or Chaney.

67. By Frankie on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

antonio pierce was just released by the giants are they intrested ???? he is a very good middle linebacker.

68. By Aaron Lone-Eagle on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I just got wind of Lito Sheppard being a free agent. What is your opinion on improving depth and signing him? Heck they brought in Rhodes from the Jets. Just a thought.

69. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Frankie —

I do not think the Cards are interested in Pierce.

70. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Aaron —

I would think they will see how the draft turns out first.

71. By MCNABBNOW on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

NFL Network’s Jason LaCanfora reports that Arizona is the best and most likely landing spot for McNabb. Is it true that the team has made an offer for McNabb? He lives here and is a great QB.

72. By Jahstone on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for all your hard work Darren…you have gone above and beyond to keep us informed…I really appreciate it!

73. By 949cardsfan on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Listen folks, the good teams dont draft towards need, especially in the the first 3 rnds. This has shown not to work out so well. The Cards, and the other elite organizations, always take the best available player. For example, if the number 13 player on their board, regardless of position, is still available at #26, thats who they’re gonna take, as opposed to say a LB, who they might project as their #32 player overall. Best case scenario, a LB ranked high on their board is available at #26. We’ll see.

74. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Mcnabbnow —

No, the Cards have not made an offer for McNabb. And while I like Jason, he also reported Matt Ware had re-signed.

75. By gordo on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

there is no way were trading away any of our draft picks for mcnabb when we have 2 potential starters already.. we would be puttin ourselves in the same situation the eagles are in and i doubt the front office and the whiz want to put up with that kind of headache.

76. By Big Red Fan on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

And the McNabb discussion JUST . . .WILL . . . NOT . . . GO . . . A . . . WAY! ! ! ! !

Darren –

You need to hire an assistant just to field McNabb questions! :) :) :)

77. By John on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Jason La Canfora said three teams are interested in McNabb besides the Rams rumors (which the Rams claim are false- the #33 pick and Atogwe for McNabb)

Those 3 teams he suspects would be the Raiders, Bills and Cardinals. He felt the Cards make the most sense, since Mcnabb wants to win.

Thats all I heard him say. Nothing other than his educated guess.
    Lets hope Jason is wrong, because we need our draft picks to improve our defense.

But what does this say about everyones faith in Leinart? From the Whitehurst attemped signing to bringing in a young 26 yr old QB with a starting eperience in Anderson, to rumors of Mcnabb.Usually, with a young starting QB , you bring in a Vet to help them out. Darren, is Whiz being polically correct and saying the right things but behind close doors, does he believe in Leinart ?

78. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Good point.

79. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

John —

Let’s look at this practically.

As of the beginning of this month, the Cards had one quarterback under contract. One. They had to get another one. I’m not sure why looking at Whitehurst or signing Anderson — neither of whom are being proclaimed the next Peyton Manning — is a shot at Leinart. It’d be irresponsible to not get a veteran. If Leinart doesn’t play well, or if he gets hurt, you don’t want to go with a rookie, especially since any rookie the Cards may end up with will be selected later on.

As for McNabb, not once have the Cards given anyone any reason to think they would trade for him. I knocked that down before Warner even retired, for goodness sake. And no, I wasn’t writing in a vacuum on the subject. I talk to people. This latest McNabb flareup comes because a) the Eagles admit they are listening to offers and b) everyone is trying to put 2 and 2 together. But “everyone” doesn’t include anyone covering this team on a daily basis. Be careful to whom you listen.

Look, Leinart still has to prove himself. The team would be stupid to already assume he will be the QB for the next 10 years. But to say they can’t have any quarterback with any sort of resume on the roster because it might look like they don’t believe in Matt, well that’s silly.

80. By 949cardsfan on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

I think this is Whiz’ plan at QB. Let Matt play this year. If it doesnt work out, they release him, and DA starts next year, while they groom an early QB pick from next years draft. But all thats moot, cause Matt’s gonna kill it this year!

81. By Jeremiah on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

In regards to an earlier post

A couple thoughts, first of all you always want to draft the BPA. Reasons for this are evident, one example would be the raiders are drafting lately. Last year they needed a speed receiver so they used a top 10 pick on a guy that would have been on the board till at least the 3rd round. Not to mention situations in other sports like when Portland drafted Sam Bowie #1 over somebody you may have heard of Michael Jordan, or one of my favorites, the Pistons drafting Darko Milicic over Carmelo Anthony. The other thing is, trading up in the draft is typically not a good idea because you can never know for sure how good a player will be after you draft him. Not to mention the possibility that he may have fell to you anyway. Another issue with trading up in the draft is that you would be giving up draft picks, and the more players you have the opportunity to draft the better. Good players are always on the board throughout the entire draft, Adrien Wilson was 3rd rounder and Steve Breaston was 5th rounder, just a couple examples

82. By larry spurgeon on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

you mentioned torry holt in your tags, what does that mean and did we sign holt? thanks

83. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Larry —

All the tags mean is that the person was mentioned in the blog post.

84. By Jeremiah on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

I just wanted to point out what appears could be a trend with our drafts with Graves and Whiz at the helm. Looking at both of these drafts one thing they have in common is that they both had a guy picked early and late that made an immediate impact in their rookie seasons, Beanie and LSH in 2009 also DRC and Tim Hightower in 2008. The other thing that we will have to wait and see on, are the guys that made their biggest impact in their second season(Calais and Doucet in 2008). I would be willing to bet at least 1 or 2 of those guys, between Cody Brown, Greg Toler, and Will Davis will step up and have a good impact for this team this year.

2009
    1 Chris Wells Ohio State
    2 Cody Brown Connecticut
    3 Rashad Johnson Alabama
    4 Greg Toler St Pauls
    5 Herman Johnson LSU
    6 Will Davis Illinois
    7 LaRod SH Pittsburgh
    7 Trevor Canfield Cincinnati

2008
    1 Dominique RC Tennessee State
    2 Calais Campbell Miami (Fla.)
    3 Early Doucet Louisiana State
    4 Kenny Iwebema Iowa
    5 Tim Hightower Richmond
    6 Chris Harrington Texas A&M
    7 Brandon Keith Northern Iowa

85. By Dane on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren –
    With what knowledge you have about the organization if our first rounder rolls around and both LB Spoon and NT Cody are there, who do you think we take? Also, if Cody does slip to the second round do you think there’s any possibility the Cards package some picks to move up and get him or just wait til later to grab a NT?

86. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Dane —

Unless I knew how the organization rated each, which I do not, that’s impossible to answer. In terms of need, they’d consider both and probably take whomever has a higher grade.

87. By gordo on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

DARREN
    HAVE U HEARD ANY NEWS ON RACKERS AND THE RAVEN?

88. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

When was the last time Arizona picked up a huge names free agent? Thats what id like to see, have a good, big named talented player come to the desert, I mean it seems like oother teams do, why not us, like why didnt we get in the antonio cromartie sweepstakes? could you imagine having drc and antonio in the backfield? its not like he was asking for a huge deal

89. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Gordo —

90. By Brett on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

URB,

I just heard the Cards are trying to make a move for Mcnabb. Do you know anything about this and if so what would his roll be now that we have a Heisman Winner and a former probowler?? Thanks

91. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Rodgers —

You mean, like when Edge signed?

Here’s what everyone needs to understand in free agency. If a guy hits the open market, there is a reason. Even if he is good, it usually means the team for whom he has been playing has deemed what he will cost not worth it. I think it’s been proven many times over that signing a big-name free agent isn’t all it has cracked up to be. And you might as well get used to it, because this way of going after free agents is the way not only Graves but Whisenhunt sees as correct. It’s very Steelers-esque.

Cromartie, by the way, doesn’t even fit your description. He was traded, and he was traded because the Chargers didn’t think he was as good as once believed. Again, this isn’t fantasy football.

92. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Brett —

OK, time for a new blog post. It’s 2:20. It’ll be up by 2:45.

93. By gordo on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

dont people read the questions that other people ask? really! this mncabb thing is getting old i thought this was laid to rest in the start of free angency…

94. By Nick Pepe on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

@RodgersCromartie-
    ..uhhhhhh Porter?….how bout Warner? I think he did ok! And how many “big name” free agents really pan out? Think T.O. Finally, I think the Cards have done pretty good job in the last 5 years or so of grabbing 2nd tier free agents that have made a very nice contribution.
    @Jeremiah- you know what those lists tell me? They have been drafting pretty well.

95. By Jahstone on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

RC

So…Porter doesn’t count…we brough in Emmitt and he did nothing…James was great for stats but didn’t give us the runs when we needed them. There is chemistry forming with the cards, and I would rather have a well paid Porter than an overpaid Peppers.

96. By John on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

First, my post above was saying the Jason was speculating about McNabb going to Cards because he belives 3 teams are interested and it makes sense to him , that the cards would be one of those teams.I also, said I hope they dont trade for him.

Next,I agree D.A. is not the next Peyton Manning,he might not even be a starter in the league, but he does have a probowl under his belt at 26 while playing with bad wrs (edwards led the league in drops that year)and bad weather along with changing coaches and caos in Cleveland.
    It will be interesting to see what he can do with Fitz, Breaston, Doucet, and a coach that understands QBs.
    Yes, logic says the cards had to go with a vet and not a rookie. But Delhomme or some of the other retreads like Garcia says to me, we have full confidence in Matt. Looking at young QBs waiting for a chance, Well, if I’m Matt, I wouldnt feel comfortable.

Combine that with the national media having every QB, from draft picks to Vick and Mcnabb, coming to Az, there is not alot of faith in this guy outside of AZ and alot of questions inside AZ.(BTW, I do not want Vick or McNabb here and never have)

I like the DA signing. I have seen Leinart play well as a Card. As a season ticket holder since ’93, I hope he does well.Ive posted before , his swagger and play in the Bears “They are who we thought they were” game was that of a budding star.

I’m just asking if Whiz has doubts(like almost every national guy and alot of local guys) or do you really believe he thinks Matt is his guy? I understand he needs to earn it, but do YOU believe Whiz thinks he can?

97. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

John —

I read the printed version of the LaCanfora report and here’s what it said: “NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora jumped into the fray, reporting league sources had listed Oakland, Buffalo and Arizona as suitors for McNabb.”

As for Anderson, you can make the same argument about him as you did with Delhomme and Garcia, right? All those guys have played at high levels, but not recently.

I can’t get inside Whiz’s head. Honestly, I think he has a level of doubt with almost every one of his guys. Well, doubt is probably the wrong word. I think he has a level of “prove it to me” to every guy, and Matt is no different. I think he keeps that attitude toward everyone, from Dockett to DRC to Alan Branch to Greg Toler. That’s just who he is as a coach.

Last thing: There were times when Warner was red-hot, and when Whiz was asked about it, he still seemed measured in his responses. He never gushes. He’s not going to gush about Matt, no matter what. I’ve said it before, unless Matt melts down, he’s your quarterback. That’s what I believe will happen.

98. By John on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Fair enough.

Only, I dont put Anderson in with Delhomme and garcia yet. At 26, he is at a crossroads. He could be a retread or end up being a good QB in this league.We’ll see.

I guess thats what we have to say about Matt also.

99. By cuznjon on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Hello Darren and thank you for this insightly blog all the time about the cardinals. I miss football and the cards in the off season, it is nice to have this and thank you again. 1st let me start off to all those who doubt Matt. we have not yet given Matt a full season, I believe that he will do well, He has had plenty of time to grow and learn behind Kurt and I believe that will show this season. Go Matt! Next Darren, is there ever a public day, where I can go and meet the players? If so when or when will you know? Some people relied on here that we should get BIG name players. I disagree, I am thankful to the combonation of Whiz, Garves and the bidwells. There has been a lot of work put into the team and the last 3 seasons have shown that. Thanks, Graves, Whiz and Bidwells. We have gotten big names in here and at 1st i was for this this, but looking back, I think most were a failure on the teams sucess. Now I was againest Kurt being our starter, I did predict that year we would go to the superbowl and we did, with Kurt and I am not sure we would have done it without him. Thank you Kurt! I am still a Matt fan and will be until we have given him a full season starting and practing with the starters. I admit that I do not know much about the game of Football, but the more I watch and read, the more informed I become, thank you again Darren for this blog and all of your efforts!

100. By Scott H on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

You are truly a good and decent man, and you have the patience and restraint of a saint. In your position, I would have gone postal on these idiots who keep clamoring for McNabb. I know I can be a pain in the butt sometimes, too, but the McNabb thing…I mean, have people been paying attention at all??? Are they dealing in reality??? McNabb was probably never a real consideration for the Cardinals, but I would say that on the day they signed Derek Anderson and named Leinart the starter going into camp, McNabb became an absolute impossibility for the Cardinals. If this helps put things in perspective for some of you, look at it this way – you’ll probably see Kurt Warner come out of retirement before you see a trade for Donavan McNabb. Forget the whole McNabb thing. Believe me, we’re better off without him, anyway!

101. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Cuznjon —

There will be an open practice the first Saturday of minicamp, and there is always training camp.

102. By Jzoully on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren, i just watched that kicker video and it is amazing how accurate his kicks were… do you remember the name of that kicker who was taken in the first round by the Oakland Raiders? We should do that this year it would make us a great special teams kind of team wouldn’t you think?

103. By Jzoully on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Oh by the way I was kidding about drafting a kicker in the first round, but what the Cardinals should do in the first round is drafting a Tackle/Guard like Mike Iupati out of Idaho, we could make him the replacement for another guy named Mike Gandy. What do you think Darren?

104. By Jzoully on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

105. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Jzoully —

Janikowski.

As for an OL in the first round, maybe. But I still see them going defense.

106. By DON IN MESA on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

DARREN..YOUR POSITION NUMBER TOTAL COMES OUT TO 61???

107. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Don —

My mistake. Added wrong on the total. It is 61.