You can’t spell Donovan without N-O

Posted by Darren Urban on March 25, 2010 – 2:45 pm

A couple weeks ago I was at a nearby smoothie/sandwich shop for lunch when, lo and behold, Donovan McNabb walked in for a meal. The place is just down the road from the Cardinals’ facility, and I chuckled to myself at the time there would be people everywhere that would be willing to make that jump: McNabb must be meeting with the Cards and stopped by for lunch.

I thought, though, that the McNabb rumors with the Cards, however ill-conceived, were dead. I thought I had cleared that up a long time ago, even before Kurt Warner retired. Then the Cardinals signed Derek Anderson to back up Matt Leinart, and McNabb-to-the-Cardinals carried even less weight. Of course, Eagles coach Andy Reid decided to tell everyone at the recent owners’ meetings that Philly was listening to offers for their quarterback. And it all started again.

So how about this: General manager Rod Graves just told me in an e-mail the Cardinals have “no interest” in a McNabb trade. No interest. (My guess is, given the dearth of NFL news right now and the huge play the McNabb saga is getting, that quote will be used a time or two across the internet going forward.)

Yes, McNabb lives in Chandler. Yes he wants to play for a contender if he is traded. But it’s not going to be the Cardinals. It never was. Playing connect-the-dots provides fodder for the rumor mill but it makes it no more likely to happen. (For specific examples of why McNabb wouldn’t work, see my above link). Will McNabb be an Eagle in 2010? I have no idea. Will he be a Cardinal? Nope.

Tags: , , , ,

163 Responses to “You can’t spell Donovan without N-O”

1. By Sue H on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Thanks, Darren… kinda tired of this rumor myself.

2. By William on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

I’m guessing you don’t want to hear/see his name for a couple weeks? lol

3. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

William —

Something tells me it won’t matter what I want. :)

4. By CardsRep928 on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

I think you squished it darren…Good Job…now how about the Blogs titled…”In Whiz We Trust” or “Cardinals Smashmouth”…checking out from Arizona’s Playground

5. By KG on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

So he’s coming to AZ? Great news Darren thanks a bunch. Uploading 20 comments via espn now! ;)

6. By Brett on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

LOL thanks URB.

I was sick of hearing this rumor too. That pretty much sums it up. U DA MAN URB

7. By Joe-B on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

I’m sorry people have to waste so much of your time with the McNabb trade talk. Philly should just be happy with him and keep him in my opinion.

8. By fitzis11red on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Go Matt Leinart. Your time to shine. In my opinion after Whisenhunt said Leinart was the guy, this would have been a bad move. Time to use the QB the franchise drafted. Bless Warner and I wouldn’t change a thing about having him, ever, but I am ready for the Leinart era. Go #7.

9. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Joe-B —

Heck, I was trying to find something to blog about. Maybe I should just be happy this popped up.

10. By Jason on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, do you think the Cardinals have any interest in signing McNabb?

Ok I am just kidding, I had to get that in because I know the rumor wont die :D

11. By fitzis11red on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Thank you Darren and thank you Graves for clearing that up with Darren so he could tell us. lol. People talked about it all day at work. I just kept saying “no. no. no.” lol. Mcnabb can watch the playoffs from his home in Chandler! GO CARDS!!!

12. By Darthcard on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Too bad the cards hands down win the NFC west easily if we got him. Why in the world would the eagles give him up? How the cards are not remotely interested is beyond me. I understand loyalty to Matt but please I’d send Matt and one of those decorated fruit baskets to the iggles in a NY second for mcnabb.

13. By Voice of Reason on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Seems to me the Cards should not simply dismiss the notion without thinking first. Sure, they’d be in a better position two weeks ago, when they could have dangled Anquan Boldin in a straight up move for McNabb. Can’t do that now, and we are where we are.

But imagine for a moment.

With McNabb here, we have a 90+ passer rating, top 10 quarterback. The Cards are still competing for NFC championships and are winning the division handily (as they have done the last two years). So with McNabb, we’d have probably three more years of playoff football.

No, you’re not grooming a quarterback of the future but instead playing 90s Minnesota Vikings (who incidentally won a bunch of games).

Certainly, Graves and Whiz know more than we do about Leinart’s readiness for action. But if there is any doubt at all — why not consider the matter further. The worst that can happen is we deem Leinart a wasted pick (no fault of his own, just lucky in getting two HOF quarterbacks to play for us at the same time), and the Cards remain in the upper echelon of NFC teams.

14. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darth —

Seriously, what would you trade the Eagles? And they don’t want a quarterback, because they have too many as it is. What would your proposal be? Because I am guessing, with the Cards picking so low, they’d want the first-rounder. And then you know McNabb is an unrestricted free agent after the season.

15. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Voice —

The Eagles want draft picks for McNabb. They would not have wanted Boldin. And in your scenario, McNabb has to sign an extension, because he’s in the last year of his deal. What do you pay him? Because if you don’t give him what he wants, he will force his way to free agency.

And while McNabb is good, I do not see him as a future Hall of Famer.

16. By Peter in Canada on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you Darren. McNabb is o.k. but he is no Hall of Famer. Warner is an HOF’er because he had the ability to carry teams especially in the playoffs. McNabb has lacked that ability to play at his best level in the big games.

I also agree that the price the Eagles will ask would and should scare a lot of teams off.

17. By Paul on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

I’ll chime in on the McNabb stuff. I also go to the LTF in Tempe that DM goes to in the off season. He is real friendly to everyone and is approachable. Had a chance to talk to him a couple of times . It’s real obvious that he would love to play for the Cards. It appears that the Cards are not interested. Frankly I think that is disappointing. A muti year all pro could be had for the 26th pick. His salary would be in the same ballpark the Cards were prepared to pay Warner. I think he has 3-5 years of playing QB at a high level. The town and fans would be Jacked if he were to sign tomorrow. Is Matt Lienart ready to keep us winning 9-11 games or more a year? ML is a good guy with a weak arm. I just don’t think he can “make all the throws” as they say. His balls hang and float. Safeties will be licking their chops. The playbook will be limited I feel.
    Hope I am dead wrong and will offer a mea culpa on here if I am. If ML is our QB then no one will cheer louder but in the back of my mind, I will be thinking of what could have been.

18. By jose velasquez on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

well if you really think about it he would work good enough with the offense in az, he can move, he can run, he is accurate (enough) he would have great receivers, emerging TE and one of the best to be Running Backs in the Leage (C.WELLS) a lot better than the team he had in Philly that he still took to the playoffs and SB in a few occations… i would be nice to have him here… likely to happen No.

19. By Tyman on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

frig mcnabb would be great to pick up, too bad if its dead. I think we would be in title contention for sure if we could get hem. Give a pick and Lienard for hem it would be great.

20. By lemar on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

we need him , we should want him, don’t be stupid

21. By Billy Thomas on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

I must say I see the points being made here. Obviously, if McNabb were to come here, we’d be working with proven as opposed to unproven, however what if Matt Leinart returns to his Heisman caliber play? Then, we’d regret having let him go. We have years to give proven QBs a shot, especially with Donovan being a free agent next year. We need to see if our 26 year old can become the future or if we need to try again. So, let’s let the McNabb talk go into next year (when it may or may not be relevant) and see what Leinart does this year. If he does poorly, it’s just one year. We still have good players that another QB can have next year.

22. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Arizona should pick up Mcnabb, cause Lienart will fail

23. By GMoney on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

So, are you trying to say Mcnabb won’t be a Cardinal?

We’re good with Matt. He’s got a lot to prove and has the chance to do it.

24. By cody on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

who do you think were going to get in the 1st round of the draft??? ive heard everything from Sean Weatherspoon to Sam Bradford, (I hope Bucky Brooks was joking about thinking Bradford would fall that far) but i dont really trust all of nfl.coms “experts”, and i value your opinion WAY more than theirs.

25. By fitzis11red on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Your good you. You. Your good. lol. Exactly. We have nothing to give. Even if we did would we be willing to extend him? Then deal with that drama? No way! And why even go there? At least we have 2 yrs with Matt. Right? And again too me, caution is the best policy because of the uncertainty of the 2011 season.

26. By Matt on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

how about that stupid 6 way trade from the other day? maybe a full blog or front page story about that haha

27. By Darthcard on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Well you make good points because as much as I’d do back flips if mcnabb went to the cards no way I give a 1st. My proposal would be this years 3rd and next years 2nd which can become a 1st if the cards win the superbowl. Maybe even deuce lutui seeing as he’s gonna wanna get paid next year.

28. By Beauchamp on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Why oh why does everyone force Darren to write this article and then still speculate. Its just like Amare trade rumors. Eagles are not going to get what he’s worth and he’s staying in Philly and going to come out strong. If anything I’d rather see us grab Vick the appelachian state qb late in the draft as a return man that would sold the punt problems and I have friends who played against that guy as a monster. What better athlete to have than a receiver/qb/return specialist/ wild cat option guy?!?!? Now what do you think about that? Just youtube some video of him Darren and you’ll be like wow he could return punts, catch as a 4wr, and run the Rolle position out of our wildcat. Yesr that would be great.

29. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Cody —

No one knows who the Cards will get. To start, they have yet to build their draft board, which will impact it. That late in the round, there are so many variables. An educated guess has the Cards picking a front seven defender. But you know what? I am willing to bet my house that if Bradford is there at 26, they’d take him. ;)

30. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darth —

Reasonable. But I don’t see the Eagles ever taking a third this year. They’d get killed in Philly.

31. By Big Red Fan on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

THERE YOU HAVE IT FOR THE 1,000,000th TIME!!!

LET IT DIE!!!

We have two starting caliber QB’s as is!

32. By Voice of Reason on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Nobody saw Warner as a future hall of famer when he came here either. Playing with Larry Fitzgerald can do wonders for a veteran quarterback’s career…

Yes, they’d want draft picks. And picks this time of year are always grossly overvalued. Would I give up both of my third round picks for him (so a backup safety or undersized running back that might be good at returning punts)? Yes.

And I’d sign him to an extension as soon as I got him, putting the bonus in the form of a roster bonus in this uncapped year. Can’t see McNabb getting any more than what Warner received last season.

The bottom line — winning is tough in this league, and sure seems to have been a heckuva lot harder for the Cards than other teams historically. McNabb sells jerseys, he gets fans excited, and especially in this division, he means dominance for at least another three years. It’d stink for Matt, no doubt, but I think you do what you can to win now as much as possible.

33. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Voice —

If you think the Eagles are dealing him for third-rounders, you are crazy.

As for being a sure thing, well, I’m not sure. And I’m not the only one.

34. By dimitosesma on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Is it just me or are we(fans) missing the keyword here TRADE. As in the Cards have no interest in trading for McNabb, but if say in 2011 McNabb becomes a free agent and dependent on Lienart’s play this season, if its obvious Lienart is not the answer, perhaps then the Cards will explore McNabb as a viable option. So sure I see how the Cards are not interested, not right now anyway.

35. By Dry Heat on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Best thing that could happen IMHO for the Cardinals is to hope that nothing happens on the McNabb trade front and he stays with Kolb in Philly for one more year, and then becomes a free agent. During that year, the Cardinals see what they have in ML (and DA and any other free agent pickup/draft choice). If after one year staff thinks QB is an issue, look seriously at McNabb as a free agent. Now, I expect that when a team is ready to move a player like McNabb and get what they can get (see Boldin). He probably gets traded and a new longer team deal in place. Maybe he gets traded under his current deal, but I can’t for the life of me understand why a team would give up what Philly is likely asking for a year’s services. Regardless, the front office is probably being wise in not attempting a trade, but they should also not burn any bridges, and keep a good relationship with McNabb. Maybe Graves would be better off saying something more along the lines of “We have a lot of respect for D.O. and would always welcome a player of D.O.’s character and accomplishment, if the terms and context were right for the organization.” Never burn a bridge with a quality player who’d like to play on your team.

36. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Dry Heat —

No bridges burned here. All Rod said was that the Cards had no interest in a McNabb trade. He never criticized McNabb.

37. By Eazy E on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Philly’s not getting a 1st because nobody gives up their 1st. Donovan McNabb is without question a top 5 QB. You rarely get a chance to get an elite franchise QB and i don’t care that he’s 33, Great QBs last at least til their mid to late 30s, some even 40s(Brett Favre, Warren Moon, Etc.) I’d give a 2nd and a 3rd or 4th next year to philly for McNabb. With McNabb, the cardinals have a great chance at a super bowl, on the other hand, with leinart, it’s a wait and see to say the least, especially when your talking about super bowl contenders. Cardinals should at least consider it and you would have to be crazy to say you want leinart over mcnabb, seriously that’s crazy!!!!!!!!!!

38. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Eazy E —

I think top five is debatable.

And what do you pay McNabb? Because he has one year left on his contract.

39. By Cory on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Thank god you wrote this. Now maybe all the other media outlets will stop going on and on about Arizona and McNabb. I don’t even pay attention to what they have to say anymore. Just go here for the straight scoop.

40. By EricJB on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren, How nice is your house?

41. By Eazy E on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

I’d pay him franchise QB Money. 14M-16M A year.

42. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

EricJB —

Well, my wife and kids would be pretty ticked off if I lost it.

43. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Bring McNabb home to Arizona. Graves was kidding. Of course he wants McNabb.” Leinart is terrible. He has had his chance and he continues to stink. He’s good looking but not a good QB.

Andersen gives the Cardinals a slight chance. McNabb turns the Cards into a contender. The Cards won’t go into New England and lose 50-7 if they have McNabb. Think about that people.

44. By ben on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

i think we should sign McNabb i like him better than Matt Leinart :)

45. By 949cardsfan on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

If you could get DM for a 3rd, you do it. But like Darren said, That ain’t happenin’! DM is a total hit and miss, up and down QB. Way to inconsistent for me. He chokes in big games, mainly because his accuracy as a passer is avg at best. Accuracy is the most impostatnt skill a QB has in this league. You hear that Matt? Get those throws down.

46. By Tyman on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

anyone who loves matt, well all i got to say was that i was a fan untill he started playing in the NFL. Some qbs dont have what it takes, he dosnt have buss to dump the ball off to. Lienard is a flop, frig come on cards fans you all know its true. Stop supporting the crap QB and start chanting mcnabb. Really we got matt to sell tickets, he has never been a top QB, Mcnabb is.

47. By 949cardsfan on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren

Where do these national guys get there info anyways? It seems like they just starting talking out of there you know what, and everyone runs with the info as if they actually know what there talking about. Do they ever get a hold of you and pick your brain for inside info? They should.Thanks for all your hard work, keep it up.

48. By Scott H on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darn, I already wasted all of my “forget McNabb, you idiots” comments weeks ago! I can’t even think of any more. Somebody, please get these people some new rumors to play with!

49. By Javy on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Hey Hey it’s JAVY!! How you doin Darren?? Well my question is that We still need other QB’s who can be a CARDINAL?? (QB) And also Torry Holt is a very good player do you think the cards might sighn him??

50. By Blair on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

I love how every one here thinks Mcnab would make the defence a whole lot better than last year. You still need a D to be a super bowl contender. But go ahead, trade the first round pickp

51. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

OH-VER-RAY-TED!!!!

52. By keith on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    I have heard ILB Brandon Spikes’ stock has been slipping, yet he still seems like one of the best linebackers in the draft. Could you see the Cardinals pursuing him if he’s available past the third round or so?

53. By johnnybluenose on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

darren, i must admit i am a bit nervous thinking leinart is our qb this year. i just don’t know what to expect. i hope it’s not more of those five yard passes he threw so often his first year in the league. but obviously he needs to be given a chance and hopefully he can be our qb for the next eight or ten years. we have to think long term here. still, i think most people would agree that we would stand a better chance of winning this year with mcnabb at qb and i think philly is anxious to deal him. but to get him and let leinhart go or twist in the wind for another couple of years, no we can’t do that. let’s concentrate instead on building our defence and running the ball. let’s be tough.

54. By Derek on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

THANK YOU for killing this rumor!!! I’m tired of hearing it anyway, tempting as it may be. Maybe my second favorite team will pick him up. (Make no mistake, the Cards are my number 1 fav team, but my second fav is closer to home and won a game on a 99 yard drive, if ya know what I mean.)

Anyway, Do you know if they have any other kickers coming in to visit or is just between Feely and Rackers?

55. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Javy —

They will likely see what they can get in the draft at QB. I do not see them looking at Holt.

56. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Keith —

If he lasts that long, yes, I could see that.

57. By darrenurban on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Derek —

I have not heard of any other visits.

58. By dylan on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Is it okay i punch Tyman in the face for not being a true cardinals fan and him just being a ridiculous idiot please say yes?

59. By Jzoully on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Oh and I totally disagree with the mock draft of Pat Kirwan. I know that Brian Price out of UCLA seems like a good pick but don’t just look at the positions of need. There is so much depth out of the draft that I honestly think we could get a defensive tackle out of the 2nd or 3rd round. How about
    1. 26th – Mike Iupati OG/OT Idaho
    2. 58th – George Selvie OLB/DE South Florida
    3. 88th – (from Baltimore) Ed Dickson TE Oregon
    3. 89th – Linval Joseph DT East Carolina
    4. 123th – Javier Arenas CB Alabama
    6. 195th – Donald Jones WR Youngstown State
    7. 233rd – Daryll Clark QB Penn State

60. By TucsonTim on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Eagles will deal Vick, that was their plan all along. Even a 4th round draft choice would be a victory…but I’m sure they are hoping for better.

61. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

After we start sucking again because we don’t have a QB, don’t blame WIZZ . Blame Graves!!!!!!!!!!!! I would give up our 1st round pick in a second to get DMC. Then we would have two DMC’s

Donovan McNabb is a steal for a 1st round pick and if Graves doesn’t get that he is a moron. To not even try is what gets me mad. Kurt was a great pickup. You only have a guy like Larry Fitzgerald for so long and Derek Anderson or Matt “suddenly going to become a NFL QB” Leinert are not the answer.

With a team in Arizona, we have to strike while the iron is hot> We are not a market like Dallas, New York or Pittsburgh.

You don’t have young talent like we have for long and it looks like we are going to waste a great opportunity.

62. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

I meant DRC and DMC.

63. By chad d. on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

I was watching NFL Live on ESPB today and they said the cardinals are one of the only teams they can see him playing for. How funny is that?
    but even if we did get him, we’d be in a warner situation all over again assuming he’d got 3 or so more years in him, and then what? it would be nice, but not realistic.

64. By alex u on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Okay 2-3 people have mentioned Brandon Spikes in the 3rd, sorry not a chance that will happen. We could maybe, actually most likely, get him in the 2nd but honestly, i would rather have ILB Donald Butler in the 3rd, ’cause he’s better in coverage and not to mention, way faster. Whatever Graves does it will be good, he’s a beast at drafts, but still, fingers crossed for LB Sean Weatherspoon. Regarding McNabb, **** him, Whiz, Graves, and the QB coaches, they see Leinart everyday in practice, they know more then we do, and probably know something we don’t, that being said, Leinart will have a 20+ TD year, well, he better. And people spelling Leinart wrong on hear, C’MON MAN. Go Cards.

65. By CARDSFAN1178124 on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

PHEW!!!!!!!

66. By ARAMOS on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

If the Cardinals dont make an attempt for McNabb it will be one of the biggest mistakes in franchise history. Yes i like Leinart but lets be real he’s no Donovan and either is Anderson. Besides the point of the game is to make the playoffs to get that chance at a super bowl and with the qb’s we have now thats a longshot but with Donovan we’re a superbowl contender right off the back. Lets go Wizz make it happen. U 2 Graves

67. By Tbru on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

So Darren

Do you think the Cardinals will go after Vick or Kolb

lol, I crack myself up

68. By Tbru on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

I always believe the draft is the best bet for receivers no need to bring in old dudes at WR or RB

69. By Dan on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Can Mcnabb play offense and defense? check this out, Mcnabb plays all 11 offensive positions, opens the season with a 78-yard bomb to himself, roundhouse kicks a 64-yard field goal though the uprights, and holds 16 different offenses to under 100 yards/game as the only defensive player on the field besides the mascot he randomly lets play for fun.— Just photoshop a picture of DM to red and change the logo on the helmet to a redbird, lock yourself in your homes with a blowup doll rocking the #5, and never Ever make another post, outside of this particular blog, mentioning Donovan Mcnabb or any other Eagles player coming to AZ for that matter. We are all so sick to death and tired of it, the choke-artist is not coming here to play.

70. By Tyman on Mar 25, 2010 | Reply

Is it not true that lienard gets a big raise next year darren, and if he dosnt perform the cards will have to cut hem at the end of this year or sign hem long term. It seems to me that persuing Mcnabb is very smart. After all if the rams or niners get hem we will have to see hem two times a year across the field. I think it would be much easyer to get hem signed long term as well, we cant really wait a year to see if he hits the market. If he hits the market teams will bid like crazy for hem and we all know we wont likly win. Plus any team that gets hem will sign hem long term. The only logic I can see in not going out and getting Mcnabb for lets say a second and third or one of our restr free agents is that we are banking on Anderson to perform the way he did when he made the pro bowl. Matt seems like a good guy, but three and outs arnt going to win us many games, and anyone who was in bostin when we got rolled would agree with me. I hope Graves is just playing, trying to get the mcnabb price lowered.

71. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

So Graves said “no interest”, which COULD mean he doesn’t want any future impositions added onto a deal this season.
    As Lloyd Christmas said, “So there’s still a chance.”

72. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Dylan —

I try to steer clear of any commenter-on-commenter violence.

73. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Jzoully —

I pretty much guarantee this team takes an inside linebacker at some point in the draft.

74. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Joey —

Well, I for one disagree with the idea of giving up a first-rounder for McNabb. And since no one else is giving the Eagles a first-rounder, it looks like the rest of the NFL is on the same page as me.

75. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Tyman —

Well, I’m not sure what happens with Lienhard, but Matt Leinart does have his contract go up next season.

Otherwise, you make good points. Giving up a high pick — and the rumor out there now is that it would take the Cards’ first, because the Eagles wouldn’t want the second — is too high a price to pay for a team that needs young defensive help.

76. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

I’m not sure what you mean by future impositions.

I would think if the Eagles came along and said, “you can have McNabb for a fourth” the Cards could jump on that. But they won’t. And for a pick earlier, you need more than a one year rent-a-player.

77. By Wampag on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

D what are you hearing from St. Louis?

78. By Kevin on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Go Cardinals In Whiz we trust!!!

79. By Daniel Enfield on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren why are so many people in love with mcnabb? Also why do people not have any confidence in Matt leinart? He did faulter a little at times last year but was never expect to play until the tn game and we should have won that game. Did people not watch the playoffs either. ML came in play pretty well. Actually moved the ball more than warner was. I dont know if ML will be great. But i want to see what he can do. In whiz we trust!

80. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

That the arch is still up and running?

81. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Daniel —

Well, that’s easy. McNabb has led his team to the playoffs almost every year he’s been in the league. And Leinart has much to prove. I do not blame anyone for having such opinions. In this blog post, it’s not so much that I personally am taking one side or the other. I am trying to say facts are facts, and the fact is the Cards aren’t chasing McNabb, so much of this arguing is simply moot.

82. By dylan on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

darren-

Yes we all know mcnabb is good, but why does no one seem to thin leinart can get it done, because he wasn’t a great back up well as a starter he played pretty decent the titans game wasn’t his fault, he played pretty well in the saints game even though they were playing prevent, and his rookie year he played pretty good too

83. By john s on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

I apologize in advance for being BRUTAL!!!! I really don’t think AZ fans have that much football knowledge. If the shoe fits wear it! McNabb has a great arm yes….We and I say We because iam a true die hard bleed red Cardianls fan! Don’t have the WR corps to throw the ball up and down the field! Breaston is decent but is not a scorcher! I believe in where this team i headed! The front office Coaching staff and scouts know what they are doing. They’re the professionals. Stop trying to be an armchair QB and save the mumbo jumbo for you Fantasy League! Peace and GO CARDS!!!!!!!

84. By CMacyn on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Wow.. you people won’t let it die. McNabb is a good QB but he is getting old, most of you still probably see him as a great passer (Which he is) and a scrambler(He’s lost this attribute) but that part of him has been gone for some time. Sure he can make throws but we could be sitting on a EVEN BETTER QB in Leinart. Plus didn’t you guys see him in Dallas, its not like were saying he chokes for no reason he really can’t get it done and we have seen that for years. Leinart wants it, simple as that so lets see how he plays in preseason and then jump to conclusions.
    GO CARDS!!!!!!!!.

85. By NOTinAGREEANCE on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

I do not believe this. Everyone on here talks as though ML is some sort of savior. He is NOT established! Not that I am trying to say McNabb would be AMAZING but he is a BIG step up from that bum Leinart! GO D.A. FOR STARTER!

86. By kekojones on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren;

I wouldn’t let McNabb issue die just yet. Why don’t you ask Rod Graves, if that NO interest in a trade for him, would change if he gets released by the Eagles? McNabb if due to receive a 6+ millions dollars roster bonus.. I kind of doubt they pay him a huge bonus just to get something in return for him …

87. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Keko —

If McNabb were to be released, that would change everything, and change it for the entire NFL. That said, the Eagles will never release him.

88. By Scott H on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Man, I sure do wish all of you people who are SO sure we HAVE to have McNabb could spend a day out here in the Philly area and listen to how utterly psyched most of the fans AND media are that #5 is likely to be traded any day now! Trust me, that’s no joke. People are volunteering to drive him to the airport! And these are the people who have been through 11 years with McNabb!!! They ought to know. And let me tell ya – they’ve seen enough. And for everyone who is SO sure that we’re in trouble with Leinart, consider this – Matt Leinart has won just as many Super Bowls as Donavan McNabb has. ZERO!!! The difference between them? Leinart is an unknown, McNabb isn’t. We don’t know if one of them could win a Super Bowl, we know for sure one of them cannot. I’ll take the guy who offers me hope for the future. And that guy is NOT Donavan McNabb!!! I’m all in with Leinart and I say the future looks bright!

89. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

We want McNabb. He is consistently a great QB with below average receivers. Derek Anderson loses Edwards and turns to nothing. With a guy like Braylon Edwards Mark Sanchez took the Jets to the playoffs in his rookie year.And the Jets competed! What is Andersons excuse why he never took the Browns anywhere? And then if I remember correctly the one time he got them into the playoffs they were gone immediately. Because…..drum roll……He is not a top notch QB. McNabb is….
    Derek Andersons stats look similar to Leinert. I know he is better than Leinert. But that isn’t saying much. Every time Leinert stepped in a game last year what were we guaranteed? We were guaranteed 3 and out

Leinert will not move the ball if given the chance. He will continue to do what he always does. Or maybe!!!!! He will turn into Payton Manning. And maybe Rob Johnson will come back and lead the Lions to an undeafeated record next year. Maybe the Chargers need to give up on Rivers and bring back Ryan Leaf. Maybe he has matured.

Before Ron Graves dismisses McNabb for good maybe he should talk to WHIZZ about the difference between having a guy who can move the ball sometimes (Tommy Maddox/Derek Anderson) versus an elite QB (Roethlisberger/McNabb).
    The difference between playoffs and superbowl is an elite qb. To not even try for McNabb is terrible….

Note to Ron Graves. The best way to not sell tickets in a city is show the people you are not even trying!

90. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren

About giving up a 1st rounder.

I am like the George Castanza of football. If I had my chance I would build a winner. Step 1: give up a late 1st rounder to bring McNabb home “in his old age”. Elite QB means a chance at a Superbowl. DA means a chance at the 2nd round in the playoffs. ML means 3 and out and no playoffs, and listening to 49er fans laugh at us!

Everyone not willing to give up anything are all the losers.

Buffalo, Oakland, St.Louis, Darren Urban(Just kidding).

I bet if Farve wasn’t coming back the Vikings would give up their late 1st round. You gotta strike while the Iron is hot. Fitz is in his prime and he needs a elite QB to get him a SB. Our defense is strong but other teams are starting to pick us a part in free agency. DA is a great back up. Let Matt retire and go model.We want McNabb!

I have always been a fan of McNabb. He wants to play for a contender. A 1st round pick is a joke for him. And if it is true nobody else is thinking it, that is the best thing at all. RON GRAVES>>>PLEASE OFFER OUR FIRST>>> I would give up my 1st and 2nd with our team. If it doesn’t work atleast we tried. We can rebuild after our Superbowl. A late 1st round pick is often a bust. Donovan McNabb is proven. Imagine McNabb and Fitz together at last!

91. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren.

I don’t believe we need yound defensive help. We needed Joey.

Now all we need is Donovan.

The best defense is a great offence. And vice versa. We have an awesome 2ndary, and with Joey up front hopefully a pass rush!

The best way to draft your front 7 isn’t with a 1st rounder anyway. Look at Bill Cowher and the Steelers or Dungy with the Colts. They always got athletes in the 2nd,3rd and 4th rounds. Joey Porter was a 3rd round pick.

Please email Ron Graves and let him know that we want Donovan.

92. By DJ MARTIN SOLIZ / BUCKEYE,AZ on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

LOOK PLEASE…! I HOPE THE FRONT OFFICE OF THE CARDINALS SEE THIS COMMENT, SIGN DONOVAN MCNABB…!!! WERE TIRED OF SEEING MATT LEINART PLAY WE NEED LEADERSHIP IF YOU SIGN MCNABB, WE WILL BE A TEAM THAT CAN HAVE BANNERS NOT JUST 1 BUT SEVERAL AND HOPEFULLY SUPERBOWL CHAMPIONSHIP BANNERS KURT WARNER WAS GOOD NO DISRESPECT K ? BUT DONOVAN MCNABB IS A BETTER PROVEN QUARTERBACK THAT DOESN’T RUN TO THE LOCKEROOM EVERYTIME HE GETS HIT ON THE FIELD COULD YOU IMAGINE IF YOU DON’T SIGN HIM SOMEBODY ELSE WILL SIGN HIM TO THEIR TEAM,ROD GRAVES…LISTEN TO ME, NOT JUST ME BUT ON BEHALF OF ALL OF US CARDINAL FANS “SIGN HIS ASS” THANKS

93. By FightON on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

If McNabb is so great, why is Philadelphia entertaining a trade? Franchise QB’s don’t grow on trees, and they’re worth the money. I think you people and your retreads.

94. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Joey —

Your arguments — all of them — would hold a lot more water if you’d start by knowing the name of the GM.

95. By Tyman on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

So now Matts old coach, the seahalks new coach is backing matt. hum, I wonder why! Maybe its because he knows two games against Matt Lienard will be two easy wins. People Matts no saviour, hes started and failed many times. We lost to the Titans this year because we were punting the ball all game, matt failed. Preseason Oakland killed us, they killed Matt. Mcnabb has been a starter since day one and he wants to play in Arizona, so why not give a pick. Or at least try to compete with other teams for hem. I agree with a lot of the thoughts on this blog. Lets say we could give up our first round to have warner back for one year. Would we? I think yes. Mcnabb is just like warner, they both win. I think Mcnabb would give the cardinals somthing that they have wanted at QB, and that is a mobile QB that with tim hightower and wells would look crazy good if he had to dump the ball off. Warner was good but we lost the superbowl because Harrison came off the edge and we didnt have many roll out plays. If Mcnabb goes anywhere but the Cards, I think about two games into the season when Matt starts loosing bad people are going to call for Graves Head. There is all ready a lot of fans who dont support matt, whats going to happen when he plays bad. I hope the Bidwells read though these blogs and tell Rod Graves to smarten up and make Mcnabb happen. I just dont want to see another Season where we loose like back in the days. Like when we picked up non proven QB’s and gave them a shot!!!! You dont give a shot to somone when theres a proven starter out there. To bad Im a cards fan, any other team in our situation would act not sit back and loose. Pls MR.Bidwell if you are reading this tell your GM you want Mcnabb. We dont want to see another season like when we gave Jeff Blake a shot, or Josh. And your a smart guy you know both those QB’s are better than Matt.

96. By Eazy E on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

I agree with ”Joey Porter” and all the other fans for Arizona getting McNabb. Philadelphia wants to get rid of him because their fans are dum a**e*and their FO is too. They want a super bowl every year, when they’ve never won one, and for the majority of McNabb’s Philadelphia career, he’s had garbage receivers(Todd Pinkston, James Thrash was ok at best, Freddie Mitchell, Who???) When he finally got a REAL number 1 Wide Receiver in T.O.,they made it all the way to the super bowl and was extremely close to winning it. Desean Jackson is a great one and maclin is too, and now they wanna trade him, stupid a**e*!! Adam Schefter of espn said a 2nd or 3rd round pick for McNabb. ARE YOU SERIOUS??? For McNabb, I don’t care if you have leinart and anderson, we have HUGE qb questions with leinart at QB that would be answered immediately with McNabb. You have to look and explore into that no matter what!!! Like Dockett said, the NFC would be mad at philly if we got McNabb. McNabb makes us legitimate super bowl contenders and extremely scary for the nfl. With Leinart, like i said it’s a wait and see, but not with McNabb. Cardinals Front Office at least show smart cardinals fans that you would do anything for a super bowl. I love how we’ve recovered from BIG losses this offseason in Boldin, Rolle, and Dansby(We’ll draft a good ILB early), but go out and get McNabb, That’s what I call doing whatever it takes to win a super bowl. Plus he’s only 33, so we would be a super bowl contender for the next 3-5 years easily.

97. By rabbidinky on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Thank God!!!!!! As much as i hate the Eagles i hate Donovan the even more. I’d rather us trade for Jamarcus Russell. At least we could stick Jamarcus at NT if we get riddled with injuries.

98. By Jeremiah on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

John S

I totally agree with your point that we don’t need McNabb, but not for the same reason. You say we don’t have the receivers to throw the ball up and down the field, but I have to disagree. We have Fitz who if thrown the ball deep can out jump any defensive player in the league and 9 out of 10 times comes down with the ball. As far as Breaston’s speed I agree that he isn’t a scorcher, but that’s not all there is to beating your man over the top, the best way is running clean crisp routes to get your defender out of position, also the overall scheme can get guys open deep, by getting the safety out of the way with another receiver. IMHO we will be a better deep ball team this year than last because we will run the ball better, which will make PA more effective and I think ML is more willing to throw deep into double coverage to Fitz than Kurt was.

99. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Tod Graves.. Please sign McNabb..

100. By Stuart on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren,
    I’ve been getting real tiered of these NFL Analyst on NFL network. They don’t know jack about the Cards and they keep saying that we are going after McNabb because he the closest thing to Kurt, and Matt’s a joke. The joke is people having any confadence in McNabb cause all I’ve ever seen that man prove is that he is a chock artist who will never get the big one. Look the Cards are going to do great with Matt, but people have to stop expecting him to fill Kurt Warners Shoes or compairing him to Kurt. He’s not Kurt Warner nobody is and nobody will be, Matt’s gotta focus on filling Matt’s shoes, and making a great name for Matt Lienart. I’m glad you put that one to rest Darren, maybe people will start focusing on the Cards not at a supossied (can’t spell) QB need that we don’t have. (except for 3rd string get St. Pierre out of there)

101. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

If Rod Graves gets McNabb I will call him whatever he would like me to call him.

Lord Graves, King Graves, Superman, Bird of all Birds

Strike While The Iron Is Hot!

102. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

I can’t wait for your next blog

“You can’t spell Donovan without O-N”

103. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

I can’t believe this Leinert throwing the deep ball stuff. I wonder if in 3 months my girlfriend can bulk up and throw the ball 50 yards. Probablynot.

Easy E and Tyman are right. I would give up our 1st round pick to have Kurt for 1 more year. Or are we going back to the Jeff Blake, Josh McCown years?

McNabb will probably play for 5 more years if he comes to Arizona. Therefore giving up our number 1 is a joke. In 5 years where will our #1 be if we don’t get McNabb?

1. A bust. Late 1st rounders are often busts. There are very few sure things in the draft.

2. New York. Thats where Thomas Jones went, Antrel Rolle, Calvin Pace, etc

3. Miami. If we get a good LB late in the first round, the Dolphins are always willing to overpay for a linebacker!

104. By darrenurban on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Joey —

Your life will be a lot easier if you move past this. You’ve made your point.

105. By dylan on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

why do these people see mcnabb as a savior obviously something is wrong if the eagles want to trade him away and stary a unproven quarterback kevin kolb? his that his name well i think you are all idiots if you want mcnabb

106. By Scott H on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Joey Porter –

Blah, blah, blah. First of all, I can’t believe you are wasting so much time commenting about a dead issue! But there is one question I would like to ask you…did you happen to be watching the playoff game between Philly and Dallas earlier this year? Assuming that you did, did you happen to see McNabb acting like a total idiot as he made his way on to the field??? Air-guitarring, shaking his sorry you-know-what, and throwing himself against the plexiglass trying to scare the Cowboys fans on the other side??? That, my friend, was the portrait of a true jack-ass! And THAT’S what you want for your starting QB??? I say no thanks. You would NEVER see Kurt Warner or Peyton Manning or Drew Brees do that kind of thing. And I want to thank the Cardinals front office for making sure that the next time McNabb acts like a jack-ass, he won’t be doing it in a Cardinals uniform!

107. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Scott H.

I wish tonight when I was drinking and driving, I would have ran you over.

Dylsn.

I think you have a crush on Matt Lienert. But that’s okay.

Scott H.

Don’t hate McNabb cause you can’t dance. Maybe your jealous Donovan McNabb is a better dancer than Matt Lienert. And Lienert took Classical Dance at USC.

When Donovan is traded to te Cards I’ll be dancing in your front yards.

108. By Tyman on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey Scott H, Mcnabb is not a dead issue. Have you ever heard of miss information coming from a GM. Its all a game, Rod graves did not announce to all cards fans this could not happen. Its smart to play the we dont have interest card. We might not get hem, and if we try and fail its showing all the lienard supporters the front office dosnt bielive in hem. I think its wait and see. Another thing a lot of you ML supporters are calling us well educated cards fans things like idiots, well come on. Lets be fair, we support our thoughts with well thought out information. Put ML’s stats up agaigst Mcnabb or any top five QB and what do you see. You cant compair them because matt is not a starting QB and hem getting the chance means no nfc west champs here. We are going to loose all our good players and by the time we jump on a good QB we will be back in the days of jake the snake. Where we had a top 10 QB with not a strong enough team around hem. Ive been a little harsh with graves, Graves has did a good job building what we have now, but everyone is in thier prime, its time to win now. Do whatever it takes graves, dont regret having this team fall apart because we lacked a QB when Mcnabb is out there. If we dont get Mcnabb I will blame every stupid ML supporter, because you stupid fans are the only reason ML is even still here. We drafted hem for all you USC fans, well Im the biggest cards fan for life and I dont want some lowsy QB that cant pass the ball more than 20 yards in the air without throwing a pick leading our team. I want to see a man not a boy at QB, can you all say Mcnabb.

109. By darrenurban on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Tyman —

Sorry, I couldn’t let this one pass without chiming in.

1) You are right. Misinformation is used in the NFL. But unless the Eagles are willing to give McNabb away for a third-rounder or less, there is no way he is coming here, and I don’t see that happening.
    2) If the Cards don’t get McNabb — and if you are basing your excitement over 2010 that he will be in Arizona, you’re going to be sorely disappointed — you are way, way off base by blaming those who believe in Leinart. For the same reason the Cards aren’t suddenly going to chase McNabb because some fans want it is the same reason the Cards aren’t going to keep Leinart because of some perceived fan support. Leinart is going to get a chance because, in the end, he still could have a productive future in this league and the Cards need to find out for sure. I’m sure you’re going to write back and dispute that, but unless I find out “Tyman” is a pseudonym for one of the Cards’ coaches, I have to say I’m not sure you are qualified to assess the situation.

110. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren,

Here is my thing about Matt Leinert.

It is like the Tiger Woods thing. Did he cheat? When the first girl came out he could deny it. By the time 15 girls came out, his story was toast!

The more chances teams give bad QB’s, the more they suck. Look no further than Buffalo. How many chances did they give J.P Losman? I think we have given Matt almost as many chances already as the Bills gave Losman. Atleast Losman had an arm. All Matt has is a beautiful smile.

We have had a problem here in Arizona giving bad QB’s too long to prove themselves. Then we got Kurt Warner. Anyone with a brain knew Warner broke his thumb and that was the reason for his downfall in St. Louis. I knew right away he was going to do good things for us. But we kept giving Matt a shot eventhough we had gold in the other hand!

NO more chances for Matt! Or do we want to be the Bills? I’d rather bring in a proven winner for our 1st round draft pick.Read my post above about where our late 1st round draft pick will b e in 5 years.

The time is now. Strike While The Iron is Hot!

111. By Scott H on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Joey Porter –
    First, that was not real funny because drinking and driving is not real funny. And it ain’t funny that the REAL Joey Porter is in trouble for it as we speak. Assuming that you are indeed NOT Joey Porter, then I might suggest finding a better class of player to name yourself after.
    Second, that wasn’t real smart because it sounded a little like a terroristic threat, and you could be brought up on charges for that. Ya know what? I’m not so sure you aren’t Joey Porter…
    As for your comments about dancing…dude, I don’t even know what the heck you’re talking about! Do people tell you that often???

112. By Tyman on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I am no coach. I am the loyal Cardinals fan who stuck by though the loosing seasons. Like really all I care about is the team winning, and I hope im wrong about ML. Im not. We get a lot of fans who are blind to what ML has done in the NFL, and those are not long term cards fans. They are all the college football fans we went after when we got ML. When the team starts loosing again Im the loyal fan and ill sit back and watch every single game we loose because Im a true cards fan. Darren I wish I could jump on the ML give hem a chance ban wagon, but common ask the coaches how his play has been in the NFL, Whizz dosnt come out and say ML is a top 10 QB. And he says there will be compition, because ML is not proven. How about you put up a blog with the stats side by side, maybe educate some ML fans so we support good players, not good college QB’s. Because every NFL QB was good in college, maybe Tim teabow deserves a chance!!! LOL. not with us. I hope. Actualy Maybe, hes got to be better than Lienert. He has to be more mature.

113. By darrenurban on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Tyman —

No one ever said Leinart is proven. But this quest to make every move like it’s a fantasy football team …

OK, here’s my point on McNabb. My last point (I think). You rip on people who think Leinart needs a chance. Yet you are so certain McNabb is the answer. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn’t. If he is a certainty (given his age, contract situation, etc.), how come another team hasn’t snatched him up? You’ll say, well, the Cards are close and can use him more than the Bills or Raiders. Well, how come the Niners haven’t traded for him? I assume in your mind every team is loony? Here’s the most important point of all — the Eagles are a lot like the Cards in terms of having a good team, and yet they’ll dump McNabb in favor of Kolb. Doesn’t that make you hesitate at least a little?

114. By Tyman on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren you got to stop with the big words. Who knows what pseudonym is suppose to meen? or how to say it. Just wait I have to look up a hard word to say darren. No ill stick to simple english so people dont think im trying to make myself look smart.

115. By Tyman on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

No, darren.
    The reason the 49ers dont want Mcnabb, and maybe they do want hem. Is because thier GM just left, so how can they make a leap right now. And the reason other teams arnt trading Mcnabb is because he wont sign long term for a team thats not a contender. Arizona is in prime condition to trade and sign hem. We just lost a top 5 QB and we would be trading for a top 10 at least. Mcnabb wants to play in Arizona. I think we shouldnt hesitate, we are the one team in real need. Hey but Im not a coach, I stick by when we loose. I stay in the stands even when we get rolled. I agree that Im a huge Mcnabb supporter, go back in past week blogs im saying lets get mcnabb. Mcnabb has had all the critics since hes came into the NFL and always performed, the Phily faithful have booed hem more than any QB in NFL history and what does he do. Mcnabb wins championships, is that not what we need and want in a starting QB. I think yes.

116. By dylan on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

hmm okay so he has won what championship tyman… cause he has never won a super bowl and idk why your all hyped up about mcnabb if the eagles are willing to let him go and start a unproven qb. tells you what the eagles coaching staff and gm think about mcnabb. So ML ha better then most rookies first season and your saying he is bad because he had a crap coach and a horrible team. he came and started the titans game with little or no practice with the starting squad and played pretty decent. and most of ML interceptions are as a back up. not every qb is not fit to be a back up in this league. As ML said he feels more comfortable playing when he doesn have to look over his shoulder everytime he is playing because he might get pulled out. Well thats exactly how i am last year in baseball i wasn the starter but when i started i was so scared to make a mistake because if i did then i would be pulled out well its easier to make a mistake when your telling your self you cant make one other wise your screwed

117. By Suzanne on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

@Tyman,
    I’m fairly certain no one is going to think you’re trying “to look smart.” My high school English students can tell you pseudonym means alias (in case that word’s too big too, that means fake name). I am secretly hoping your atrocious spelling and grammar is a result of really bad typing skills. I am, however, glad you are a Cards fan. But I think your voice is better heard on game day than in blog comments. Go Cards!

118. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

I’m with Tyman. He should be able to rip Leinert. He is sure of McNabb because the talent of McNabb is obvious.

McNabb and Fitz is obvious like Brady and Moss. It was obvious Moss wasn’t playing hard in Oakland! And it was obvious Brady was being hurt by Caudwell and others dropping every ball thrown to them. Noone else gave Moss a chance except Bellicheck. (Wes Welker was a pretty good/obvious move too)

I just don’t want to go back to being the Buffalo Bills right now. We are in prime position if we had an elite QB. Prime Position for our market only happens once every couple decades. The time should be now!

119. By Tyman on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Dylan if ML cant take the heat of somone looking over his shoulder, he may as well quit the NFL and become a model. Good QB’s prove themself coming in as backups. Bad backups dont become great QB’s. Good back ups are hit and miss as it is. ML’s first season wasnt great by the way, and Dennis Green was a big part of building this team so to call him a crap coach is just wrong. ML has always had good WR when hes played, boldin, fitz, johnson. He had a great team in his rookie season man. I think you calling the team horrible back them shows your football knowledge. Another thing is phily is not going to resign mcnabb with phily. Plus kolb has been a good backup, and phily fans have been calling for hem. The fan base make a big difference in who a team goes with, phily fans dont think mcnabb is good enough because he hasnt won the superbowl. Mcnabb has won everything but the superbowl, thier fans are so crazy, they booed him so much and all he does is perform.

120. By darrenurban on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Joey —

And I’ll ask you the same thing: If the talent of McNabb is obvious, why are the Eagles — also in “prime position” — willing to trade him and go with Kevin Kolb?

121. By dylan on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

hmm tyman

you know peytons first year as a starter he went 3-13 ML went 6-10 im pretty sure now look at were payton is and Tyman i play college baseball and with the fact someone was going to come in and play for me if i made a mistake well guess what it made it that much easier on me to make that mistake. And actually not every bad back up qb is a bad starter. i think ML will throw over 3000 yards this year and the cards will be 9-7 or 10-6 if you dont believe in whiz and graves on the call they are making you obviously are not a true cards fan. and how was denny green good if he so called had all this talent and yet still couldn get the team to have a winning season. Tell me that Tyman

122. By Tyman on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Dylan I was going to stop bloging about this subject, but man I have some questions for you now. Give me one example of a bad back up in the nfl that has became a good starter. Pls I cant think of one, really back yourself up. What makes you think that if we didnt have dennis green that we would have drafted fitz or dockett. Green was a best availible player on the board coach. Green and graves built this team, so dont bash him. You can say he wasnt a great motivater, and not as good with the midia, but green help build the contender we have right now. And green never had the QB, it was year after year of giving a guy a chance. He drafter ML to sell tickets, every expert knows cutler was a way better QB, but we needed all you USC no nothing fans. And PS if lienert was as good as payton manning he would be able to come into a game and win it, not come in and three and out.

123. By Scott H on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Any chance you can prohibit the use of the name Donavan McNabb from this point forward???

124. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

This is the thing with McNabb in Philly….. McNabb has never been given enough to win there. And the play calling is too predictable now. He has been studied in that system/with Andy Reid for a decade. He needs a new start.When they get to the playoffs it is hard to win when the other team knows your gameplan as a QB.. You have seen Ben Roethlisberger run into this problem a few times over the past couple years. The only thing that has kept him going is someone in that organization has figured out an alternative strategy when his scrambling gets taken away. Ben Roethlisberger has some of the sickest slot widereceivers I have ever seen. Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes. Ben Roethlisberer is a great scambling and slot throwing QB.

I guess I compare Ben Roethlisberger to Donovan McNabb in a lot of ways. That is where I see the amazing things that could happen with Donovan and Fitz. You can’t stop a great passing qb and a great scrambling QB. We couldn’t on the final drive in the Superbowl! Donovan has never had that guy he could throw the ball to 30 yards down the field in double coverage to spread the field. Ben Roethlisberger has. Plexico his rookie year, Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes is very underrated,etc.. We have that talent right now if we are willing to give up our garbage first round pick.

125. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey Dylan,

That is the funniest thing I have ever heard comparing Matt Lienert to Payton Manning. Payton Manning may have had a poor rookie season but he always showed the talent. That is just too funny.

Lienert has showed over and over again, like JP Losman in Buffalo, that he doesn’t have the skills.

126. By dylan on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

alright well then how come peytons first year he went 3-13 i mean obviously he had many 3 and outs that year. hmm and im pretty sure ml has the record for most yards in a game for a rookie 407 is it against the vikings. ml had one chance to prove him self the starter and he did then 3 games in he broke his collar bone so idk what your talking about there. steve young as everyone knows wasn that great of a back up….. so idk but how you gonna just say ML is a bad qb when he hasn even been able to even play 20 games as a nfl starter. ML also came into the titans game with little or no practice with the starting squad and carried his own weight yes he could of done better but i dont see many other back ups throwing for 300 plus yards and 2 touchdowns coming in and either did ML so how about you let him start this season and if he doesn do good like you think he wont then your right im wrong and put a new starter in but your giving him no chance and i dont know what you mean by he has gotten so many chances cause 17 games 1 more then a nfl season is not alot of chances if thats how many games they gave peyton he wouldn be the starter for the colts

127. By darrenurban on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Joey —

You actually were making good points until you called it a “garbage” first-round pick — a pick that actually is five spots ahead of the first-round slot the Cardinals selected Beanie Wells with a year ago.

128. By Eazy E on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Hey darren, i’ll answer your question to ”joey porter”. The eagles organization listen to their crazy fans a little too much, they love you one game and the next game they hate you, they booed Donovan every since draft day because they wanted ricky williams, how dum would they have looked. Ricky is a good back but everybody know or at least they should know, you draft a QB over any position when you’re that bad and you don’t have one on top of that. Donovan has had as much success as any QB in the league, the only thing he don’t have is a super bowl ring and he still got at least 3-5 or 6 years to get it. They think Kevin Kolb is the new savior because andy reid drafted him in the 2nd round to be the future. I thought it was extremely stupid when they did it because mcnabb was 30 or 31 and had many years left just like he still does now. Kolb also became the first QB to start his first 2 games and throw 300+ yards in each. One was against the chiefs LOL!!! The other against the saints where the eagles got destroyed 48-22 and he threw for huge yardage because they were down by so much and the saints just played back and let them get everything underneath. He also threw 3 picks in that game, one that darren sharper took all the way back for a pick six! McNabb also has a great personality. Scott H was saying he was acting like a jack-ass before the playoff game against the cowboys, well I like for my QB to be loose because if your uptight, you will screw up and make mistakes. I live in Dallas, they were a pretty good team this year anyways, so losing to dallas aint shameful, they are a damn good football team. Tyman is right too, misinformation and lies are what most gms and fo personnel are made of. Jets GM Mike Tannenbaum said the day before kerry rhodes got traded, they were gonna pay his roster bonus and barring something super crazy happening, he’s a jet, the next day, he’s a cardinal. So don’t put too much stock into that ”no interest” rod graves said cardinals fans, because i know REAL cardinal fans don’t.

129. By Tyman on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren Joey makes a good point that the picks garbage. You can get a running back late in the first round. There are no sure things in the first let alone the end of the first. And what he says is true, look where all our 1st round picks are now. The pick will get over paid and come in expected to start. We should build our team with second rounders and third rounders like dockett and cambell. It seems guys taken later dont move on as quickly. Plus I dont think any player in the draft can make the difference that mcnabb could to our team. And if we go noise tackel or middle backer the will be depth though the mid rounds.

130. By darrenurban on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Eazy —

Let me get this straight: You call out the Eagles’ organization for listening to their “crazy” fans too much … yet you want the Cardinals’ organization listen to you guys — the fans?

As for the stock put into the “no interest” from Rod, well, I guess I can’t dictate what REAL Cardinal fans think. But I know how I am taking the information. And it’s that McNabb isn’t going to be a Cardinal this offseason.

131. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

You got to talk some sense to Rod Graves on this issue. Or give me his phone number.. hehe…

Dylan,

Steve Young is a good example of a team who had 2 starters. And he wasn’t a crappy backup. Thats why he got the job over Joe Montana. Joe freakin Montana!

132. By dylan on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

no joey the 49er fans were booing the entire coaching staff and gm when they traded joe montana so idk what the hell your talking about. when they let joe montana go most people were thinking the same as to what the cardinals fans are thinking the team is over. im not saying ML is steve young but give the guy his chance and see what happens

133. By dylan on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

and joey how would you know peyton has always showed he had talent im mean come on dont be a complete idiot because obviously he didn show them his rookie year when ML has better rookie stats then peyton. and When has matt showed he is going to fail. his rookie season like i have said ML had a better then most rookie qb seasons so idk why you wont give him a chance im not saying ML is going to be peyton,young,montana, or even elway but your not even gonna give the guy a chance because he played bad as a backup qb and pretty decent as a rookie qb…. are you kidding me

134. By Tyman on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren the real cards fans that want mcnabb arnt the crazy ones, the fans that are calling for lienert to get yet another chance are the crazy cards fans. Lienert fans are USC fans and if it means loosing every one of them I would to win the championship. We true cards fans dont want to suffer when whizz has a hard time pulling lienert out after two games after matt starts sucking. Look how hard it was to get warner in as a starter with these stupid usc fans being like matts the savior when warner was. Our true fans want to see us win. Well Rod graves, Whizz, and Mr Bidwell, Mcnabb is our best chance. Mcnabb is not some saviour. Mcnabb is one friggen great QB and to not even try to get hem is telling all us cards fans that you want to rebuild and that we can forget about Fitz, Dockett, and DRC, staying with the team past thier contracts.

135. By darrenurban on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Tyman —

I forgot. Only the “true fans” want to see the Cards win. Everyone else is hoping, apparently, the Cards lose. Which, by your definition, would include the front office if they don’t trade for McNabb.

136. By Tyman on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Dylan omg. Here is my question to you. Is it worth taking a chance on ML if hes not one of those QB’s you stated? There is a QB out there in Mcnabb that plays just like Young. You said Matts no steve young , well its not to far out there to say Mcnabb is a steve young. And to compair Payton Mannon to Matt is just the biggest joke ever. What are you going to do when matt sucks the first two game? are you going to be the guy to say no no whizz, give hem a chance? Because it sounds like you like giving chances to guys that are too busy with girls to practice. How the heck can you say he had little to no practice before the titians game, duh he was the back up. A back up is ready to come in and win when they get a chance. HE FAILED!!!! how many punts did we have in that game? Can we really relie on our defence every game this year when we lost three of our LB’s this off season, well we are going to need some offence to win games. ML is going to go three and out, and us loyal fans will take the punishment from the seahalks and niners fans when they come to our house. Dylan you will be like oh, too bad, well USC is on so screw the game it dosnt mean anything maybe Teabow is the answer you will say.

137. By Tyman on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

No darren the front office wants to win. They dont want to loose fans though. Its why they where sneaky bringing DA in here and then putting a little support behind ML. They are smart guys, the fans are clinging onto lienert. I think they are smart right now by posting the “No Interest” on your blog. Look if we come out and say we want Mcnabb and fail to get hem it would show thier hand. The fact that everyone knows ML cant though the deep ball and we use the deep ball a ton in our offence. ML is due a lot of money if he plays for us past this year so the team is going to dump hem at the end of the season if he dosnt perform. I think there is a lot of money issues involved with this and the front office talking to phily, but doing so quietly is to avoid these ML die hard fans. And I dont understand why anyone would think Matts win loss record will get better. I listened to underground and the guys said that Matt said he wanted this so bad, well I think just about every QB in the NFL wants to start so bad, like frig your talking Millions of dollars to start. I dont put my faith in Matt.

138. By Eazy E on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

I was saying darren that philly fans are crazy because all that mcnabb has achieved in his 11 years there, philly fans still wanna help him pack his bags and head to the airport. Cardinal fans that want McNabb truly know how great a QB he is and know how good the cardinals would be with him. That’s kinda like us dissing kurt because he didnt win the super bowl but he got us there. He was the ringleader to the whole thing. He brought us to unheard of heights for the arizona cardinals.

139. By dylan on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

and im right there with you member im some huge USC fan
    well Tyman i never knew who ML was until he was drafted by the cardinals lol i dont watch college football and i could care a less about it cause its slow paced and boring to watch to me but yep im the USC ML fan you’ve got me there TYMAN

140. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

I think what Tyman meant by real fans was real students of the game. Every team has good fans and morons. I was very upset to hear Rod Graves say that he had no interest in Donovan McNabb eventhough he is from Arizona. I think when someone says something dumb like that you should hold their feet to the fire. I don’t want to bash Graves too bad because he has made some great decisions. I just wish the man would make the right decision on the most important position on the field (QB!!)

Eventhough I hate the crybaby Tom Brady more than anything, if the Patriots offered him for a 7th round draft pick and Graves said “NO”, I would say that is a dumb decision too.

I think by true fans you have to look at Buffalo as the greatest example in history. You had Rob Johnson supporters and then you had Doug Flutie supporters. Flutie was 1 million times the QB Johnson was but some people said, “give Rob just one more chance”/… They probably would have won a superbowl with Flutie. But I guess the Bills don’t like to win the Superbowl!

I’m really upset this Leinert thing is going on another year because a guy like Donovan won’t be around next year.

141. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Dylan, Tyman —

We’re closing in on a truce here, right? You’re all Cardinals fans. Can’t we all just get along?

142. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Joey —

First of all, if the Eagles were taking a seventh-rounder for McNabb, I’m feeling good the Cards would take that deal. But that’s not what is out there.

As for fans versus the organization, if I had the time, I bet I could find 10, 15, 20 different examples of teams doing something that basically went against the fan base and it turned out OK. And I am sure there are things that have worked the other way as well. Again, you think the Cards are making the wrong decision. But if you’re wrong, no one cares and it doesn’t affect you. If the Cards make a wrong choice — and there is a lot that goes into these choices — jobs can be on the line.

143. By Tyman on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren man, yah Ill close on a truce. I will always hate ML supporters, but hey Im just a fan of winning and always will be. And Im a true cards fan.

144. By dylan on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

im at a truce but i dont understand how tyman is going to call anyone and everyone not a true cardinals fan if they dont want mcnabb on this team.

145. By FightON on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Wow. Just wow. I’m a USC alum, and at this point, I would love for Matt to be gone and light it up somewhere then I can enjoy being a Cardinals fans without caring about some of these moronic posts. No to McNabb…the guy chokes under pressure and on the biggest stage. Sam Bradford just put on a show on his Pro Day….good, decent kid to appease all the pontificating, goody-two-shoes in ultra conservative Arizona, and the kid is dead accurate. Trade the whole draft for him, and it would still be better than McNabb. Darren said it, and I said it before. There is a reason the Eagles are considering drafting him, how clueless can you be?

146. By FightON on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Geesh, my spelling errors….* last statement, I meant, “There is a reason the Eagles are considering trading McNabb” You DO NOT trade a franchise QB if he is performing well and not past him prime.

147. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

FightON —

Now now, we’re working on a truce here …

148. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

If I had the job, I would be all in on McNabb. If the team starts going downhill losing our young talent Whizz and Graves will be out of a job anyway. If they bring us a Superbowl or atleast show the effort, they may be here for a long time.

You and I seem to disagree about the 1st round pick. I still maintain a late first round pick is a garbage pick because that guy always gets overpaid and/or moves on to New York. Once in a while you get a Gem but that usually doesn’t happen. RB is usually the only position worth taking in the first round if you can find a beast like Beanie or Bettis. I wouldn’t take a small running back late in the 1st again. Look at our luck there. How many guys have we drafted in the 1st round at RB that have moved on? Alot.

Anyway, I can’t wait till we get McNabb.

149. By FightON on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Tyman or whoever you are, you are mistaken if you don’t think ML can throw a deep ball, he’s done it when he needed to…why do you think SC used Reggie Bush as a WR in the open field? Do we have a WR or RB that runs a 4.33 40 time? ‘Cause that’s who he was throwing it to, without Reggie breaking stride. Did he throw it 5 yards in that Steelers game a few years ago to seal the win? This is the guy I believe will show up this season…

and this one….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw4_4H83Pok See 1:08 and 1:50

150. By Tyman on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

fight on I was done I made my point and you have to keep on. Look your clips are of USC games. Its college football not NFL, the guys are all way more open there than they would be in the nfl and there is nothing there that says Matt is a starting nfl QB. Maybe instead of getting mad at me you hold matt accountable for his lackluster play. And ill say it again every NFL QB was good in college, the pro game is faster and harder to score 50 points in a game!

151. By Scott H on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

eazy E –

Here’s a quote from you – “Scott H was saying that he ( McNabb ) was acting like a jack-ass before the playoff game against the Cowboys…well, I like my QB’s to be loose because if you’re uptight, you will screw up and make mistakes.” My god, man, could you be making less sense than you did just then??? Because your “loose” QB played one of his worst games ever that day and THAT made him look like even MORE of a jack-ass!!! Honestly, how did being loose work out for Donavan that day??? Loose is great when you can back it up. Loose makes you look like a fool when you don’t. That’s it, I am thoroughly convinced that you either didn’t see that game that day OR you have McNabb confused with someone else. There is NO WAY we are talking about the same guy here…to be honest, I actually like McNabb as a person. I really do. He is a good guy with a sense of humor and I SOMETIMES like that he doesn’t take things too seriously. But I say that about him as a person. As a player? Sorry, no thanks. When my team is taking the field for a playoff game, I want a guy comes down the tunnel like my man Kurt Warner used to – game face on, focused, ready to draw his guns.

152. By JOEYPORTER on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Scott and Dylan,

The two worst Arizona Cardinal Spectators in The World.

Notice how I didn’t call you fans either?

Scott,

You want your quarterback to carry guns? Do you mean like the movie “The Last Boyscout”? Thats terrorism dude!

153. By Scott H on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Joey Porter –

Dude, you can call me whatever you want to call me, I really don’t care. Been a fan of this team for more than 35 years and I certainly don’t need your approval to keep my seat on the bandwagon. And, please…in regard to my use of the phrase “ready to draw his guns,” I’m sure even you could figure that out! Obviously, I’m not talking about firearms, I’m using a figure of speech. When Troy Aikman or Joe Buck refer to Brett Favre as a “gunslinger,” are they labeling him as an arms dealer??? Gimme a break. I’ll try to slow it down for you a little in the future, OK?

154. By dylan on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Scott H-

joey porter makes himself sound like bandwagon fan cause we didn have joey porter till what weeks ago hmm i have been a fan since i was 10 im 18 now so thats 8 years and 5 of those were losing years so its okay

155. By Scott H on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

dylan –

Got your back, dude.

JoeyPorter –

Hey, I just realized…aren’t you the clown who stated in an earlier post that you wished you’d run me over while you were out drinking and driving??? And you want to accuse me of terroristic comments??? Well, dude, if you’re not in jail right now, I don’t think I have anything to worry about!

156. By darrenurban on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Alright boys, again, we’re toning down the attacks, remember? Time to move on ….

157. By Ryan on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Bad News Darren,

As much as you have tried to squash this Yahoo Sports just wrote this

158. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Ryan —

That doesn’t contradict anything I said. All I have written is that the Cardinals aren’t going to trade for McNabb. I’ve never said one word about McNabb becoming a free agent in 2011 and signing here. It would be foolish to dispute that possibility.

2. Mar 25, 2010: Cardinals have “no interest” in McNabb | Off the Record (OTR)
  3. Mar 25, 2010: [Cardinals] Cardinals Confirm They Have No Interest In Donovan McNabb
  4. Mar 25, 2010: Eagles reportedly target top-42 pick for McNabb; Rams, Cards out « MYRAIDERNATION
  5. Mar 26, 2010: McNabb and the Man Behind the Curtain | Inside the Iggles | A Philadelphia Eagles Blog
  6. Apr 3, 2010: Latest Developments in the Ongoing Donovan McNabb Saga | NFL Spin Zone