A little of this, a little of that

Posted by Darren Urban on March 26, 2010 – 7:21 am

Some Friday morning kibbles and bits …

– There have already been a handful of players showing up for offseason workouts here in Tempe. Mostly it is first- and second-year guys as John Lott’s strength and conditioning program had its “soft” start, but there have also been veterans like Adrian Wilson and Beanie Wells. The “official” start comes Monday, and there should be a good turnout (although I am not expecting Fitz back from India). I guess the 2010 season is upon us.

– A Twitter exchange between safety Kerry Rhodes and potential kicker Jay Feely, who were teammates last year with the Jets. Rhodes (answering a previous comment): “no question and u better be my teammate in AZ!” Replied Feely. “LOL. Thanks bud, we’ll see.” So Feely doesn’t sound close to signing yet. Neil Rackers hasn’t either, so the Cards are still kicker-less.

– A new Cardinals Underground has been posted, as we talk about the offseason thus far. In the next few weeks, we have another podcast planned and some videos previewing the draft (as well as stories by yours truly. The first round is less than a month away — April 22).

Tags: , , , , ,

61 Responses to “A little of this, a little of that”

1. By Bobf on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Sorry Darren, I have to:

“Mostly it is first- and second-year guys…and veterans like Adrian Wilson and Beanie Wells”

2. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Bobf –

Good call. I guess when I say first-and second-year guys, I think of the guys fighting for jobs, and Beanie already seems like an entrenched vet.

3. By KG on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Sounds like we might even try drafting a kicker if we don’t sign one of the two to a multi-year deal. I wouldn’t mind having a rookie kicker learn under the tutelage of Jay Feely.

4. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

KG –

The Cards won’t have two kickers on the roster.

5. By Sebastian Blax on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

With regards to the kicker situation, is it simply a money/shopping around issue on Rackers part? Are there performance (mainly on FGs) concerns from the Cardinals side? Who might be a draftee kicker that the Cardinals are looking at?

6. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Sebastian –

I don’t think they would draft a kicker. I think, in terms of Rackers, all those issues, on one level or another, are in play.

7. By CMacyn on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

In one of the old posts there was a video of some young buck kicking consecutive 65 Yard kicks. Darren any chance we say screw Rackers and Feely and go with the young guy. I know its a stretch.

8. By Jahstone on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

I want to be the first to mention how much better Ben Graham has been than any other punter in recent history…hope they get Feely or a stout kicker for this season…lets go ST!!!

9. By CMacyn on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Got the name, Robert Zarrilli. Looks solid.

10. By Jzoully on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

You said that we would need to take an inside linebacker somewhere in the draft, and I know that this is a weird question but how about taking George Selvie the DE/OLB and transition him into an Inside Linebacker

11. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Jzoully –

I doubt you’d take a DE and make him an ILB.

12. By Robert on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

I like Rackers, but I wish you could find out more Darren about his return from injury last year, if he was fully healed and when he re-injured it. I was right behind the cards bench in New Orleans and it was obvious that he wasn’t right from the very first kick he made. Putting it together with the GB game it seemed odd to me that he even returned at all last season.

13. By Kev on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

A little bit off topic, but is there any chance to get the audio shows / podcasts on a phone with Google ANDROID and the Google Listen application?

… the only thing worth listening on there so far was the Packer podcasts after the great wild card win.

Videos would be even better but guess that’s asking for too much.

Have a good weekend…

14. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Kev –

I will pass it along to those who know about that stuff.

15. By Andre on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Why wouldn’t we draft a Kicker? I would hope they keep Rackers, but if they choose not to, what would stop Whiz from drafting one?

16. By CMacyn on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Kinda off topic but I just saw a you tube video of Gabe Watson in the gym, he said he was working out for three hours plus cardio. hopefully it transitions well into next season. GO CARDS!!!.

17. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Andre —

I guess nothing per se, but I just don’t see them using a valuable pick on a kicker when they can find one in free agency.

18. By Beauchamp on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

When I bumped into Neil at the Phoenix Open he said he felt good, but who knows how well that injury is. It was obviously affecting his kicking last year; the only mistake was playing him injured. Healthy Neil is a monster, but so is Jay Feely. I’m a Michigan fan myself so needless to say I’m a Jay Feely fan. Their styles are so similar and they are both weapons so lets just hope Rod can get one of them signed :) Darren tell Rod keep up the good work, him and Whiz are the braintrust that are making us finally be winners.

19. By AZ Fan n TX on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren -

What are you hearing about Michael Adams. He’s one tough fighter and a big play-maker (just ask Aaron Rodgers!). Hope he comes back to the bird nest next season.

20. By Jzoully on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

How long would you wait to draft an ILB then?

21. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Az Fan –

I expect Adams to be back.

22. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Jzoully –

I don’t know if I wait. If there is a good one in the first round, take him.

23. By Pay9-0.com on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Could you name 5 players that should be available for the 26th pick that the Cardinals have alot of interest in??Thanks:)

24. By Peter in Canada on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

I just read the stuff about the QB’s and reading between the lines and seeing the way Whiz likes competition for jobs, I think there is a good chance Anderson will be the starter. Two years ago, at his best, he was a pro-bowler and with the help he’ll get in Az there’s a good chance he can return to that form. I think Leinart will start at #1 but he’s got to show something fast.

Does that make sense to you?

25. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Pay9-0 –

I could. But then I’d have to kill you.

(Yes, that was a joke. I’ll try to do it closer to the draft, but in the end, it’s all just speculative).

26. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Peter –

I have said this before and I will say it again. I think Leinart will have to play very poorly to lose his spot. But if he does, yes, Anderson will get a chance.

27. By Nick Pepe on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren:
    I would love to see Rackers back. Hope is 100% healthy. As far as that Robert Zarrilli who kicked those long field goals on the video, he would need to knock a step, step and half off his approach. It looked to be he was extra deep back there. Thoughts??? Or else we would have heard of this cat by now.
    Nick

28. By William on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

You know, we could nab Oklahoma State kick/punt returner Parrish Cox (officially plays CB) in the third or fourth round. That would be a decent replacement for Steve Breaston, yes?

29. By Scott H on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Really, what is the hold-up with this whole kicker thing??? Honestly, among the many things that could make or break the season for this team, kicker is NOT one of them. Rackers, Feely, what’s the damn difference??? You’re not curing cancer here…JUST PICK ONE ALREADY!!! I think perhaps the tension of this off-season is getting to me…

30. By dave on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

darren, are the new players like porter going to be at the workouts on Monday?

31. By B-rad on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

I’ll be surprised to see Rackers back. A coach needs to be able to trust his players about injuries. With a chance to get back to the Bowl I guess I would also not be as forthcoming, but I think he burnt his bridge. For the betterment of the team even the so called best clutch playoff K in F-Ball (Vinetieri) had to take a back seat to Stover in Indy last year. Would like to know what Feely wants. Any other FA’s worthy?

32. By wayne on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Why not take a look at PAC-Man? he’s not asking for a ton of money, I have never been a fan but he is very talented.Sometimes the athelete that gets that second chance can and has turned out to be a hella of player and teammate. Darren,he is only 26 years of age and we do need help in the secondary.

On another subject, do we really need to carry 4 TE’s on our roster? 3 is enough!

Thanks, Wayne (Cards fan since 1973)

33. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Nick –

Again, I see a free-agent kicker, not a drafted rookie. And only one on the roster.

34. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

William –

Unless they see him as a good CB, I don’t see them taking a returner that high.

35. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Dave –

I believe so. But even if they don’t come Monday, they could be there Tuesday, etc. These are voluntary.

36. By darrenurban on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Wayne –

I don’t think, if they all stay healthy, that all four TEs make the roster.

And absolutely no on Pacman. He’s had a second chance. He’d have to be a superstar to make me even think of the risk, and he showed with Dallas in 2008 he’s not all that.

37. By Nick Pepe on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

People wake up! Stop immediatley with the following:
    Pac-Man.
    TO.
    Donovan.
    None will be there. They are not welcome there. It’s flat out not happening.
    Redundancey can be redundant at times. I am sure I am not the only one tired of it.

38. By B-rad on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

Pay 9-0 and anyone else for what its worth, here are my preferred draft choices at #26.
    Let’s assume the top 2 QB’s, 2 DT’s, 3 OT’s are off the board.
    ILB McClain- probably gone but would be ideal and is ready to start now
    OLB Kindle
    DT Williams
    DE/OLB Pierre-Paul
    OLB Graham
    OLB Weatherspoon- inside or out
    CB Wilson- can return punts too
    OT Davis
    OLB Hughes
    OT Campbell
    OT Brown
    DT Odrick
    DT Cody
    TE Gresham
    Any comments welcome

39. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 26, 2010 | Reply

RFA’s have until April 15th to sign their tenders, right? So if Breaston, Watson, Luitui don’t re-ink, they remain under contract with the Cards and continue to play out their original agreement?

40. By Tbru on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Sorry Darren, I have to:

If you didn’t I would have, lol

41. By Tyman on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

I would hate to see us loose Rackers. He has the crazy on-side kicks and has been on with his kicks. Plus I think we will be kicking a lot of field goals this year. Plus Niel has the ability to make the hit down field. Not like most kickers that stay back and slow the guy down, Rackers gets down there and nailes the returner.

42. By Chris on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

@Wayne – Pacman has some big character issues obv. and also issues in coverage. He’s more hype than anything. Look for the TO burning Pacman during offseason workouts on youtube.

@Darren – I don’t know if this has been asked, and I apologize if it has been but, do you see the Cards FO drafting a position that we need the most for the first round or do you think they would look at the list of available players and pick the top candidate that is available? Obv. we don’t have much need at WR but say if there was a top CB, OT, DT, DB.. I guess what I’m trying to say is, if worth while DT’s and DB’s were snatched up before we got to pick.. could you see them grabbing a CB like.. Kyle Wilson or someone that would possibly be a top pick, just not necessarily something we totally need. Am I making sense or am I just rambling?

43. By Eazy E on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

We don’t need to waste a pick on a kicker, just get Jay Feely. He is an awesome kicker. I definitely don’t want Neil”I will miss the kick if it’s important” Rackers back. He is a chronic choker.

44. By steve on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

sure looks like beanie isnt holding the ball right in that pic…..

45. By darrenurban on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

They have until April 15 to sign an offer sheet with another team. Technically they could wait all summer to sign their tender. But as long as they don’t sign, the Cards can pull the offer. I would expect them to sign before April 15 though. They could sign as soon as next week. It just depends on what kind of interest they might be getting. Usually by now their agents have heard something if a team was considering an offer.

46. By darrenurban on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

Yes, I could see them taking a cornerback if they were enamored. But I think it’s more likely, given their depth issues in the front seven defensively, that they will find a good candidate at 26 whether it be DT, OLB or ILB.

47. By CMacyn on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Well we should at least consider getting a lb seeing as how Joey Porter is being accused of drunk driving he was arrested last night. The article goes on to say when the officer attempted to unlock Porter’s door he slapped the officer’s hand away. Not good.

48. By C on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

draft a kicker?? what kicker is draftable?

49. By CMacyn on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    I take it you didn’t know?

50. By Chris on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Off topic but any clue what is going to happen with Porter now considering the arrest? :-\

51. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, I just heard the news regarding Joey Porter, and his three misdemeanors. Suspicion of DUI, resisting arrest, and assault on a peace officer. What do you think the Cardinals will do about it. I have read the short article on the incident, and it almost sounds like harrasement. Why would police approach his vehicle parked in a fast food joint, what was their reason? Also, what right did the officer have to try and open his door. I know enough about the law to know that unless they have reasonable cause. Something doesn’t smell right.

52. By gordo on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

i live here in bakersfield and all i can say is im very pissed right now… this is not a way to start out

53. By Scott H on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn -

Just saw that article about Porter myself. What an idiot! Isn’t it nice that his first achievement as an Arizona Cardinal was being arrested for drunk driving and resisting arrrest? Ya know, I’m no choir boy myself, but this is NOT the kind of player I want representing my team. When you’ve gotten used to high character guys like Warner, Boldin, Fitzgerald, and Wilson, you become grateful for them and you take a great sense of pride in wearing a jersey with their name on it. With thugs like Porter…you’re usually glad it’s someone else’s problem. But now it IS our problem! This is apparently a guy who has a hard time controlling himself on AND off the field. I know we all subscribe to the “In Whiz we trust” thing but…I’m not real happy with his judgement right now. And I miss Karlos Dansby a lot sooner than I thought I would!

54. By Beauchamp on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

Before I ask my dad to inquire w/ Mike Bidwill I’ll ask you… Are we going to have a new indoor facility to practice in soon or are we gonna make everyone sweat like a pack mule in this darn summer heat. I know coach wants one and last time I asked any of the players they’d all love it. Anything we can do to make our guys happier and have more production is a good thing. I played ball here all my life and this summer heat is why I quit.

55. By DON IN MESA on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

SURE GLAD WE GOT JOEY PORTER….

56. By darrenurban on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn –

I didn’t until many others did. I was out and about and hadn’t seen the reports.

57. By darrenurban on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

Nobody knows. Here is what the team is saying.

58. By darrenurban on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Lone –

I know nothing about what happened so I’m not going to speculate.

59. By darrenurban on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Beauchamp –

I think it’s still on the radar. But I don’t know any specifics and haven’t talked to anyone about it in a long time. I’ll say this, until the labor issues are settled, I don’t know if any big projects are going to be done.

60. By B-rad on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

We should bring in K Shayne Graham fo a visit. He is solid.

2. Mar 26, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com