Porter arrested

Posted by Darren Urban on March 27, 2010 – 5:49 pm

The news is widespread by now: new Cardinals linebacker Joey Porter was arrested early Saturday morning for suspicion of driving under the influence, battery on a peace officer and resisting arrest in his hometown of Bakersfield, Calif. The Cards obviously learned about it quickly themselves. The team’s official statement:

“The team is aware of the incident. We are in the process of gathering all of the facts concerning it and won’t comment further until that’s completed.”

As you can imagine, that makes sense all the way around. No one knows how it will play out, nor what it will mean in terms of football.

Tags:

107 Responses to “Porter arrested”

1. By Chris on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

I think a lot of people are over reacting without enough information. From all accounts, it says suspected DUI and the story sounds sketchy. I think there is more to this story that we all need to hear eventually. I don’t think anyone should be jumping to conclusions just yet without all the details being substantiated.

2. By cardinalsfan100 on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

darren, do you think he will miss any games due to this?

3. By GMoney on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Arrested for what?

4. By Tyler on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Do you think this is a guaranteed 4 game suspension? This upsets me. C’mon man. We don’t need this in our franchise.

5. By C on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

wow

6. By Mandy on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

What a shocker……lol

7. By Jcaswellsr on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Well thats just great. Probably be suspended to start the season. Porter = Jacka$$

8. By chad d. on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

this sucks. I hope it doesn’t result in less playing time. why couldn’t he have been a trouble maker while playing for the steelers?

9. By CMacyn on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren your welcome for the info LOL tough break.

10. By AzCardsFan911 on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Way to go PEEZY…Way to go! What a great start as a Cardinal!

11. By Brian R. on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Whens the last time a Cardinal got arrested?

12. By az1965 on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Oops… I guess he meant something else when he said “trained assassins” LB’er corps…

13. By fitz 4 mt rushmore on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

fudge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Porter is facing a 3 game suspension minimum!!!

14. By Pay9-0.com on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

noooooooooooo:-(

15. By David on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

That is what stupid people do. They put you into suspension and trobule. This might cost the Cardinals a game or two without him if it is true.

16. By Andre on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Wow, this is sad. I remember seeing a comment a while back when we got porter. Something along the lines of expect to see more arrests, DUI’s and fights with coaches cause he’ll be closer to home.”

Well, I guess this person knew him pretty well.

17. By George on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

darren – Do you think this will have any affect on Porter being able to play, I know it is just a misdemeanor if I have read correctly, but as far as suspensions go? It is the second time this has happened to porter during the off-season

18. By Nick on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Cut’em! This kinda crap shouldn’t be tolerated. People make mistakes but when aomeone makes millions of dollars, a cab or limo is cheap. Coulda killed some one. Seems that we inheritated a lack of discipline from Miami. I would count this as number 4 from them that has had trouble.

Don’t need the distractions. . .

19. By Tbru on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Guess the honeymoon is over, blah

20. By Sean on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

This is disappointing… :/

21. By darrenurban on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Cardinalsfan –

Until this plays out, it’s impossible to tell.

22. By darrenurban on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

GMoney –

Just click on the link in my above post. It’s all there.

23. By darrenurban on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Tyler, George –

Like I said before, we don’t know what this means yet.

24. By Nathan H on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

I don’t get this story….was Porter just waiting for a friend and the officer came to stop him for no reason? If so isn’t that against his 4th Amendment right of illegal searches and seizures? I hate the power law enforcement has sometimes…

25. By alex u on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

What an idiot. Was he under the influence or just suspicion? Either way what an idiot. If he misses any games, Will Davis/Cody Brown will fill in just fine, but still, i would rather have Porter on the field. And actually i take back what i said, I’ve drank underaged many times and droven under the influence, i’m just not known to the public and didn’t get caught so, just unfortunate for him i guess.

26. By darrenurban on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Alex U –

Hopefully, you’ll change your ways. That’s just foolish.

27. By Former Steeler Fan on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

A bad decision by Rod Graves and Coach Whiz to pursue and sign Porter. He had issues in PIttsburgh e.g. frequently mouthing off and fighting at midfield before a game against Cleveland (?) and he wore out his welcome in Miami. It was only a matter of time before he caused trouble. One more incident and he should be GONE!!! Unfortunately, the Cards may not be contractually able to release him.

28. By steve on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

c’mon joey we dont need that kind of distraction in our franchise man behave well and hope you dont get a suspension.

29. By Andre on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Alex, that’s like saying…well i don’t know, but it was foolish.

After reading the link I think it was foolish of porter to do what he did. However, I may have jumped the gun on him a little bit in my previous comment. I think the “peace officer” was a jackass. Heck, I got into heated arguments against so called peace officers because there egos get involved. Some officers are absolutely great people, some cause problems which this case looks like. It seems the officer was looking for trouble than solving anything.

30. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey all you Cardinal fans out there bashing on Porter, what gives? 90% plus wanted this organization to sign him, and the first negative publicity he gets, and you want to cut him!!! No one even knows the whole story. According to ESPN it was TMZ that initially broke this story, yea I trust them!! Things smell too fishy. Shame on all you fans that are ready to crucify him! Last time I checked people are innocent until proven guilty. I’ll be the first to admit that I have made the same mistake when it comes to alcohol, we all do no one is perfect, I know I am not!! Let’s find our t what happened first!!

31. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Haha wow dont act like you guys care about how this makes the franchise look bad, he got arrested so what, look at Ben Rapistburger, Eric Greene? People get busted all the time, Vick just got out of jail, and he didnt miss that much time

32. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 27, 2010 | Reply

Ya its a dumb thing to do but oh well, its not like he is OJ Simpson all the sudden…

33. By Beauchamp on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

It looks like quite possibly Porter being closer to home was not the best thing for him.

34. By Paul on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

You know whose fault this is? Matt Leinart.
    JUST KIDDING!!! Wanted to stir up the Matty Haters out there.

Not an auspicious start, even if it turns out to be not quite true. Not the way to introduce yourself to the team, and the town!!

35. By Dan on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

As I’ve said before, I don’t like his thug attitude, guess I was right.

36. By mark on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Nathan are you kidding me, did you even read the story. Based on the facts given Porter stopped his vehicle behind the CHP officers patrol car, From someone who knows the law very well, the officer has the right for officer saftey reasons to check someone out that parks behind them during a traffic stop and once he smells alcohol has resonable suspicion detain him. But the real issue here is what should the cards do if Porter is found to be gulity. Driving DUI is bad enough, but to compound it with assualt on a peace officer and resisting arrest, i hope the cards dont want this type of player on their team.

37. By rasj on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Nfl network and a reliable source said assault is in the mix… apparently highway patrol approached him in a fast food resturant parking lot!! i agree with law enforcment overstepping boundries.. hope it doesnt turn out too bad for porter and the cardinals.

38. By Ian Mofo on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

If he’s cut, and I hope he is, do the Cards have to pay him anything?

39. By Nick Pepe on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

I enjoyed several beers last night as well. My car is still at the location because I got a ride home.
    @Alex – hope I don’t live anywhere near you! droven???

40. By Steve on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Is there any kind of “good behavior” clause in his contract? At what point would the Cardinals be able to cut him if he continues to get into trouble (assuming, of course, that this arrest is legitimate and not due to some power-tripping cop)?

41. By big bird on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

I wouldnt worry about Joey porter missing a game with us. Our guys can handle it without him. Old ,washed up, trouble making , bandwagon veteran.Gee i wonder why all the other teams let him go?Hes a disease to teams. Now were stuck with him.Cardinals are a class team we might not have a ring yet…but we we have class,and maturity. Thanks Porter…btw what the hell you doing in Bakersfield, should u be in Az?

42. By clssylssy on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Battery on a police officer? Way to go front offiice for your recruiting skills! I have always been proud of the members of our team for setting a good example for our youth off the field even when we weren’t winning division championships or going to superbowls. We don’t need the negative energy and it’s not fair to the guys on the team who have been left to try and make something out of a disaster and do good works in the community. We don’t need any TOs
    Michael Vicks or any other fellons and troublemakers, whatever their skill level. This just gets worse and worse…The NFL needs to send a no-tolerance message to these guys and BOUNCE THEM. At this rate the Cardinals will never get any respect!

43. By Ruben R on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

I dont understand how this high pay players keep getting in trouble that is so easy to avoid dont drink and drive dont carry loaded guns in your pants dont take loaded guns into lockers room if a girl says no it means no is that so hard to follow

44. By darthcard on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Theres is always 3 sides to every story. Your side my side and the truth. Porter it sound used bad judgement. But would anyone be shocked if some jerk cop wanted to be the office hero for arresting joey porter? JOEY stay out of bakersville. Your a marked man. Nobody is perfect we all make mistakes. Some cops are real jerks so maybe we should keep this in mind.

45. By Sean on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Big Bird, just because he is a Cardinal now does not mean he has to live in AZ

46. By mirza nijemcevic on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

the way i look at it is, he’s a human too. stuff happens all he can due is make it the best out of it. i been thru it, yeah im not a super star but it shows you all of us do mistakes. he shouldn’t be judged because only god can do that. i’m behind him 100% do what you got to do porter. i am an cardinal fan from tucson,az.

47. By alex u on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

So when is Graves or Whiz going to come out and talk about the issue? And i ment in the past, already changed my foolish ways but, He’s 33 so i don’t what’s his deal, huge difference there, and resisting arrest? Only way i can see someone resisting arrest if if they actually didn’t do anything. Whatever, I want to see what Graves, Whiz and Porter have to say, Darren when do you think that will be?

48. By Lone-Eagle on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Wow, from all the blogs I have read, Joey Porter is already guilty, and the police are right. Might as well throw the book at him, and put him in jail and throw away the key!!

49. By gjbrid on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

And all we’re worried about is if he will miss any games?

50. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

For the most part, you get what you pay for.
    That being said, Leinart has partied with underaged girls, Fitz supposedly choked his girlfriend and Patrick used illicit drugs. In the past, Michael Pittmann tried to run over his girlfriend, WR Coach Richie Anderson solicited prostitutes, JJ Arrington got in a bar fight and don’t get me started on Luis Sharpe.
    A football team is a microcosm of our society in general, your going to have, as Joe G says, “Bucketheads”. It’s how the individuals move on from an embarassing situation.

51. By darrenurban on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Alex U –

My guess is you won’t hear anything of substance until this plays out.

52. By chad d. on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

he should have asked the officer if he wanted an autograph, he was probably just pissed about that.

53. By TucsonTim on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Let’s just wait for some more facts. I haven’t seen blood alcohol levels. I’ve read a cop in bakersfield smelled alcohol, there was another person in the car. Porter wasn’t pulled over he drove into the parking lot.

54. By Dennis K on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Wait for all the facts. Since he lives in Bakersfield it will play out that any charges will be dropped and he won’t be suspended.

55. By Steve on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Hypocritical!

Everyone was bashing AZ for not signing him earlier and now when he gets in a little trouble everyone wants to run him out of town.

To quote the great Denny Green, “He is who we thought he was!”

This sounds pretty minor but will give Whiz the chance to read him the riot act before the season even gets started.

56. By Jzoully on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren, what if the cardinals didnt take an inside linebacker in the draft, and after the draft they picked up Antonio Pierce. Saves the cardinals picks

57. By Scott H on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

It was reported in the news out here on the east coast that Porter was arrested for DUI, resisting arrest, and assaulting an officer. Doesn’t sound to me like he was just minding his own business…

58. By darrenurban on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Jzoully –

I don’t know if Pierce would be much different than Hayes, if they did want him. And it’s Dansby’s WILB spot that is at issue.

59. By Wampag on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Oh boy D when i first saw this I thought it happened oin Az. Whew CA much better don’t worry everything is fine they’ll work it out Porter isn’t Benson let’s just hope this keeps him very directed for the rest of the year. Who knows maybe it will serve as a wake up call and JP will have his best season ever.
    Always look on the bright side and from what i am hearing tell JP to get ready cause D McNabb is going to St. Louis and D Mcnabb is FUN to SACK. GO CARDS

60. By Javy on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

hey darren is it possible for joey to get realesed from jail before preseason starts and him still playing on our franchise on opening day???

61. By darrenurban on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Javy –

How about we wait to see what happens with Porter.

62. By adam larson on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

I wanna know the law. If he was parked and the officer talked to him, how is that a DUI? I mean, wouldn’t the PEACE Officer have to pull him over for it to be a DUI?

From what I heard the PEACE Officer tried to reach into JP’s car and JP slapped his hand…. since when is slapping a hand assault? I mean crap if that’s assault then every person in America should be arrested!

IF JPeezy gets a suspension I will laugh my butt off, I mean Roethlisberger apparently raped that girl last offseason and Goodell didn’t even suspend him for a single game!!!

63. By Walter L. on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Wow, everyone that wants Porter cut needs to CHILL the F%#* OUT. Yes, DUI is a very irresponsible crime, and add in assult on an officer (even though that’s a joke of a charge, but it is what it is) and resisting make it just stupid. But to cut him would be way overboard. He may be suspended but when he starts producing those sacks I guarantee none of you will even remember this happened. At least it wasn’t in PHX, then it would be way worse and he would spend at least 30 days in Tent City. If things are taken care of quickly, Peezy will probably be back in time for training camp.

64. By Thomas77 on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

While I think we ultimately have to wait and see what happens with Porter, I’m almost positive there is going to be some sort of suspension or other impact to his playing football this season. Because, let’s be honest…he’s guilty of something. Even if he isn’t guilty of everything the Police officers claim, something had to have gone down. My guess is, even if the Cardinals don’t end up doing anything, Roger Goodell will….

65. By Thomas77 on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

But on the flip side. These guy’s could just be 49er fans and he is actually innocent of all charges! :o)

66. By Dave on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

To Quote President Obama:

“The Police acted stupidly”, assault on police officer gimme a break. FREE PORTER!!

Darren-

Wouldn’t you actually be okay with Feely over Rackers anyway ? He is a good kicker.

Go Cards!!!!!!!!

67. By Scott H on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Interestin reactions…

Adam -
    Are you serious??? OK, I wasn’t there, either, but I understand that the officer reached into Porter’s care because Porter refused to do as the officer asked. Well, guess what? When the police ask you to do something, you do it. Simple. If you don’t, then there’s gonna be a problem. Simple. Gimme a break. Don’t question the law here. The problem is yet another pro athlete under the influence, behind the wheel, and un-cooperative with the police. Unfortunately, THIS athlete is now a problem that the Cardinals have to deal with. Too bad they didn’t put a clause into his contract that would nullify the deal if he were arrested. Ben Rothelisberger hasn’t been formally charged with ANYTHING in ANY of the incidents that he’s been involved in. Ya know what? Doesn’t matter, because he’s now been “involved” in enough incidents that people look at him as someone who obviously has a problem and can’t keep himself out of trouble. At best, he’s too stupid to keep himself out of situations where he ends up being accused of…whatever. I look at him and I’m just glad that he’s someone else’s problem. Wish I could do the same with Porter. Think the Dolphins are glad to be rid of this guy? Hell, yeah they are.

Regardless of what anyone thinks, I think one thing is clear and irrefutable – the Cardinals are not the same team that ended the 2009 season just a few months ago. And I’m not talking about talent. I’ll reserve judgement on that until I see them on the field. I’m talking about character. They’ve declined tremendously in that department and I challenge anyone to dispute that. When you lose guys like Bertrand Berry, Kurt Warner, and Anquan Boldin and you bring in a thug like Joey Porter…well, you’re seeing what happens.

68. By Jesse Robles on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

ITS ONLY SUSPICION!! Stop jumping to conclusions, chill out. Everyone makes mistakes, yes it is bad timing, but there are TWO sides to every story.

69. By darrenurban on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Dave –

I would OK if Feely signed, but I have already said I wouldn’t mind seeing Rackers return.

70. By Scott H on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Jesse -

I’m no lawyer, but I don’t believe that people get arrested for “SUSPICION” of wrong-doing. They get arrested for DOING something wrong…don’t they???

71. By Login Whitlock on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

When was the last time a cardinal got arrested?

72. By William on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Are you guys serious? You expect him to be released? We just gave him a $24 million contract two weeks ago! Ridiculous.

73. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

GO RACKERS AND FREE PORTER!!!!! I hate cops and I am glad Porter is bringing attitude to our defense. If he was a QB or even like the leader of our D which is ADUB and not Porter, I might care. but we signed Porter to be a recking ball and use every last drop of him we can. this incident is only gonna wake him up with good time to come into training camp kinda like a wooped dog. hahaha. either way. he is a mean mindless passs rushing machine. thats all we need form him. ya know>?

74. By Steve Lee on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Turn Porter over to Coach John Lott for extra conditioning 8 hours a day, six days per week.

75. By Dan on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Porters a punk, can’t wait till he’s gone, hated the signing from the beginning.

76. By chad d. on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Lone-Eagle; that comment about “reading all of the blogs and he’s already guilty” is just garbage nonsense. keep that out of here. I doubt he’ll get suspended, plenty of players get arrested without any punishment from the nfl. and to all of the haters saying cut him, that’s just foolish. at least wait to see how he preforms to hate on the guy

77. By TucsonTim on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

The same idiots who are saying cut Porter are the ones who were bashing Graves and the Bidwells for not signing him on the spot 2 weeks ago. Lame.

78. By Ditship on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Nice.. We went a long time since something like this happened.. Can’t say that I’m shocked.. Nice start though.

79. By Eazy E on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

You gotta go the darren urban way and wait til all the details are ironed out. Joey will be alright i believe. FREE JOEY PORTER!!!

80. By alex u on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

People saying “release him” or “i hated him from the beginning,” He’s a cardinal, so whatever he, or any Cardinal does off the field, personally i don’t care, as long as he’s having fun and making are team better i could care less if he has been in jail or got in a fight, so him getting caught for DUI, means practically nothing to me as long as he makes our defense and team better. So hopefully all you critics will change your mind and think like me, and other non-critics, if not, well, I can’t wait untill all you critics will be saying “YES PORTER” when september rolls along and Porter makes a big play on D.

81. By alex u on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Moving on from Porter because i doubt he’ll get suspended (knocking on wood ASAP). Darren, how many RFA’s do you think will sign within the next couple of days?

82. By Mack on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Ok Darren you can laugh at us all for wanting Porter. :D

83. By Dan on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

Lets sign Pacman Jones while we’re at it.

84. By adam larson on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

HEY SCOTT H>

Thanks for NOT answering my question buddy. I was questioning if u have to be in a moving vehicle to get a DUI. The other part of what I said( which u obviously didn’t fully read) was that I was saying how does a slap on the arm = assault of a Peace Officer? Does that mean if a Peace Officer reaches into my car and touches me first I can call it assault by that officer? I think NOT. But, how about this, if a cop reaches into my car can I not press charges for him trespassing on private property?…. The car belongs to me, a private citizen; and unless that PEACE Officer asks my permission to enter OR PUT A ARM INTO my vehicle that should be construed as trespassing on my property unless I give him permission! … correct?

Anyways, when did all of us bloggers become lawyers, judges, coaches, GM’s, and the commish of the NFL? Why don’t we all wait until all of the people who actually hold those titles do their jobs b4 we go dishing out any punishment on JP!!!

85. By Robert B on Mar 28, 2010 | Reply

I was upset when I first heard this, but after reading the police story it just doesn’t sound right…the whole “Officer reaching into the car to try unlocking the door while the window is rolling up” sounds like a load of crap. I would love to see a video of this arrest. Lets just see how this all pans out prior to convicting Mr. Porter.

86. By p16 on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Meh, to be honest with all of you, I really don’t care too much..

We all knew, including the FO and coaching staff, what we were getting in Porter. He’s always been the king of doing to wrong things off the field, and never letting it affect his performance on it. If he get’s a 4 gamer, I’ll be disappointed sure, but it’s not going to be the end of the world. He made a stupid choice, one MANY players in this league make, and will probably come out with even more of a chip on his shoulder as a result.

87. By Ian Mofo on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

The law on DUI is this.

You need not be actually driving to be guilty of DUI. You need only be over the legal limit and in IMMEDIATE CONTROL of a motor vehicle or BICYCLE. Yes, bicycle.

In any case, MOST states define immediate control as being in possession of a motor vehicle and having the means to start and operate it. People DO get DUI when they are found sleeping in cars on the side of the road or in parking lots. Being seen by a peace officer walking away from a vehicle and possessing the keys is enough to suspect and be arrested fro DUI if you are over the limit.

If you are standing next to your car drunk with your keys in your hand and are confronted by police, you can be charged with DUI. If you pull into you are walking to your door from your car and are drunk you can be charged with DUI. You can be leaving McDonalds walking to your car, if you are drunk you can be charged with DUI.

Source: I am a legal school dropout.

88. By clssylssy on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Well said Scott H. DRCfan#1–are you sure you’re not a Dallas or a Raiders fan?…the mentality is there. To Kurt Warner who wanted to do “God’s work”, it seems all he had to do was look around the NFL; he was doing it all along and didn’t even realize it! Why are the Cardinals so anxious to pick up league screwups that have a demonstrated track record of being trouble? It seems like whoever is making these decisions has had a few too many blows to the head!

89. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

OK, that settles it. Jerry Hughes from TCU in the first round!!! :-)

90. By cardinalconvert on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

I am sorry guys. If Porter did something illegal, he needs to get 4-game suspension. The franchise honor comes before the player.

91. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Alex U –

I assume you’re talking about the Cards’ own RFAs. It hopefully will be at least a couple; workouts start this morning and until they sign their tenders, they can’t work out.

92. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Mack –

No laughing here. I was hoping he’d sign too.

93. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Adam –

Just to clarify, I don’t believe you have to be in a moving vehicle for a DUI. In fact, I think, if a police officer sees you intoxicated and just climbing into the driver’s side, you can get nabbed.

94. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Ian –

Thanks. You summed that up nicely. I made my previous answer before I saw your post.

95. By adam larson on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Ian, unlike Scott H. you actually read what I wrote and answered the question I had!

So, Darren does that mean if Breaston shows up at the training facilities in Tempe that the CARDS FINALLY got him to sign his tender or a new deal???

96. By RED BIRD 66 on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Why don’t we just wait and see what really comes out of this before we convict him. The story seems sketchy and remember this happened in CA not AZ. Most likely he will get out of it in CA and most celebs do there. If it happened in Maricopa county Sheriff Joe would be all over this like a cheap suit to get some publicity for his tent city. Be glad it wasn’t here Joey P. Why would you even want to get involved if it wasn’t you that got pulled over, not very smart. Lets just focus on the players that are not idiots.

97. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Adam –

Again, Breaston has until April 15 to get an offer sheet from another team. It’s not crazy that he hasn’t signed his tender yet.

98. By Jesse Robles on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

SCOTT H
    Suspicion is suspicion, people get arrested for suspicion all the time, that is how cops get the story. I am not saying Joey wasn’t drunk, I am saying we weren’t there and it is suspicion until otherwise noted.

99. By Jesse Robles on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

At least Ben Rothlisberger has 2 more major problems then Joey Porter, and if Roger Goddell suspends Joey Porter and not Rothlisberger, the NFL is going to have major problems with who the Commissioner suspends and doesn’t.

100. By azcards65 on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

so darren whats the max penalty porters looking at not (what he will get,) but the max he can get game wise?

101. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

azcards65 –

Impossible to know right now.

102. By Mike"Pay Q" on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Adam, Porter’s window was down when he “followed the officer and pulled in right behind him”. Then when the officer asked for ID Porter rolled his window up(meaning he was hiding something, or at the very least acting suspicious). Only a PUNK, CRIMINAL, or someone looking for trouble needs to antagonize a police officer on a routine stop. Do you have any idea how many police officers are KILLED every year during routine stop? How many families are affected. If reports are true, Porter had NO REASON to follow his friend’s and the officer’s car(especially if drunk). He was asking for trouble and he got it, I only wish the officer had tazed him. Let’s see…Porter FOLLOWS a police car that had just pulled someone over, REFUSED to follow the direction of a police officer, tried to evade(rolling up the window), then assulted the officer. YES ASSULT, he hit the cop PERIOD, it makes no difference he only hit his hand.

Porter deserves everything he gets, because he CONTINUALLY puts himself in these spots,ie shot in the butt in a bar, attacked a guy in a casino etc. He has proven what kind of character he has.

103. By Wampag on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

I think its going to be fine look if it was bad there would be a lot more coverage and remember its CA were the rules are way different than AZ trust me I’ve lived in both states and CA is way more lax

man can you imagine if this happend by Sherriff Joe

104. By TucsonTim on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

For all of you legal experts, where are you getting your facts. TMZ or Bakersfield.com? I have’t seen a police report, heard Porter’s side of the story or a single witness acount. There’s a lot of speculation and very few facts.

105. By chad d. on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Mike”Pay Q”; that “punk/criminal” makes a lot more money than you do. and why would he be tased? he did nothing but SLAP his hand.

106. By Scott H on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Hey Adam -

Take it easy, dude! Sorry if I offended you by NOT answering your question. Perhaps I was also trying to make a point of my own? Whether I answered your question or not, it usually holds true that if you’re NOT doing anything wrong, then the police are probably NOT reaching into your car in the first place! And it usually holds true that if you put your hands on a police officer for ANY reason, you’re gonna be in trouble! I think most of us know that without having to be arrested first to learn the lesson. For some reason, Porter’s conduct is not coming as a surprise to me. I’m sorry I offended you, I’m sorry I wasted your time, and I promise to get a law degree before I speak again!

Ian -

Thanks for answering Adam’s question and having the listening skills that I obviously lack!

Jesse -

I hear you. And I agree. Regardless of the fact that Rothelisberger hasn’t been charged with anything, I think he SHOULD be suspended at this point. The Commissioner shouldn’t base his decisions to suspend on the determinations of the legal system. Charges or not, Big Ben is NOT measuring up to the standards of behavior that this Commissioner wants. And, yes, if we’re being fair, Big Ben should be suspended before Porter.

Mike “Pay Q” -

Bravo! Well said. Hey, how come Adam isn’t jumping all over you??? You must either be bigger than me OR you have better listening skills…

clssylssy -

Thank you for hearing me. If Adam has any more questions, can you handle them? I don’t want to make him any more upset than he is already!

2. Mar 29, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog