Workouts commence

Posted by Darren Urban on March 29, 2010 – 11:11 am

Officially, the Cards’ offseason voluntary workout program started today (although a bunch of guys had already been showing up). We’ll have pictures up in a bit, and also a story. But it was impressive to see a good chunk of the roster show up on day one, including quarterbacks Matt Leinart and Derek Anderson, all the running backs, almost all of the offensive line, and the entire defensive back group. Linebacker Joey Porter was here, and there were restricted free agents who signed their tender offer (because they couldn’t work out until they signed), including wide receiver Steve Breaston.

Again, I’ll have more in a bit. This is a slightly different day because the organization is headed out to the ballpark — in honor of his impending Hall of Fame induction, assistant head coach Russ Grimm is throwing out the first pitch at the Angels-Royals spring training game, and we’re all invited.

The Cardinals did lose a player Monday. Special teamer Sean Morey officially signed with the Seahawks today, not a big surprise after the way that situation was headed.

Tags: , , , ,

26 Responses to “Workouts commence”

1. By Luis on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

It’s great to hear about the turn out. Culture change is really showing. I admire the off season preparation these guys are putting in. Go Cards!!!!!!

2. By Mike on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

I am just wondering if regarding the Joey Porter situation, if his contract had any sort of morality clause making it voidable? Really i guess that can be broadened to all free agent contracts. Also, Im wondering if you can shed any light as to what it is about 3 year deals that seem to make sense with the potential lock out and all that goes on with that? If im not mistaken, every non RFA we have signed has been to a 3 year deal. I assume there is something about the 3 years that makes it easy on both parties in the event of a lockout. Thanks.

3. By dylan on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

glad to see that porter leinart and derek are there and all the other people

4. By AzCardsFan911 on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

It’s exciting to know that actual football activities have finally started! Lets go season, Hurry up and get here!!!

5. By Chris B on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Bummer. See ya later Morey. He’s a nice guy.

Darren, you’re opinion who will take his place? I assume Jason Wright (who covered for him while he was injured right?)

6. By Chris on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Good luck to Morey. We will have a gap on special teams but it will be a fillable role.

Good to see such a turnout! Wonder what’s going to happen with Porter in terms of any suspension etc. but we’ll just have to wait and see.

Still have a great deal of hope and excitement for this next season. Go Cards!

Thanks for the update Darren.

7. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Mike —

Don’t know the answers to those right now.

8. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Chris B —

Good question. Not sure on that yet.

9. By matt on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Are the workouts open to the public at all? Im a hs coach who will be in town over Easter and I d love to stop in.

10. By pjdylan on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

I love Steve Breaston. He’s the only reason I’m not freaking out that Boldin left.

11. By CMacyn on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Who was that catching the ball with Leinart?

12. By Eazy E on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Great to hear the team is back! Morey is a great special teamer but he’ll be with a loser in seattle.

13. By Ditship on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Morey was a good player and also seemed to be a good guy off the field as well. I think that block in the Cowboys game will always have a spot in my mind for amazing Cardinal moments. He’ll be missed. I wonder if The Hyphen will be our STs captain this year? Running back kickoffs and probably one of the best Punt Cover guys in the NFL, if not the best..

14. By chris on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

darren

I’m finally over McNabb, I know huge relief to myself as well. Quick question what impact would alex brown & Brandon Marshall have if the Sewerhawks manage to put a deal together…and I hear talk of the .49ers looking at Pacman, any thoughts on the balance of the NFC West if these pieces fall in place?

Cards #1 fan in PA

Chris

15. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Matt —

First of all, these are just the weightlifting and conditioning workouts. But no, they are closed.

16. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn —

Ed Gant.

17. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Chris —

I think I’ll worry about those if they happen. Marshall would have the biggest impact, but they still have to protect the quarterback in order to complete passes.

18. By Rob on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

darren was kerry rhodes in the building working out as well?

19. By Rick on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Glad to hear so many showed for the “voluntary” work-outs. Resigning Beisel is good for depth and special teams but losing Morey to Seattle is bitter sweet. I had the opportunity to play golf with Sean and he is a PHENOMENAL person. It is people like Sean Morey, and others, that make me an even bigger fan of the Cardinals. To be honest with the amount of concussions Sean suffered this past season I was actually kind of hoping he would retire. If you can please pass on well wishes and I look forward to cheering for one Seahawk, of course only when they aren’t playing the Cardinals.

20. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Rob —

21. By LUKE on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

it is good to see players excited about the upcoming season.for years that wasnt the case.its also great to hear players saying things about the cardinals like “i want to go to a team that is a contender”wow.about time!GO CARDS!

22. By Dan on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Was Morey really that good?

23. By tw3kr on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

I’m ashamed to admit I don’t recognize everyone in the workout gallery. Bring on the captions! It’s good to see new faces and old, though.

This has to help Gant’s chances this year, right? ;)

24. By adam larson on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

I am sad to see Morey is gone! So, Darren good thing Ed Gant was practicing with Leinart as now it looks more and more like ED GANT could be our 4th or 5th WR? How many WR’s do u see the CARDS keeping this yr? I mean with the 4 RB’s does it make it hard to keep 7 WR’s???

25. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

tw3kr —

Yeah, we’re working on the captions. I want to have them.

They like Gant, actually. We’ll see if it translates as the offseason rolls on.

26. By darrenurban on Mar 29, 2010 | Reply

Adam —

Way, way too early to think about roster breakdowns. But yes, they like Gant. We’ll see if it makes an impact in August.