• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

An impressive turnout and the preseason sked

Posted by Darren Urban on March 30, 2010 – 2:18 pm

The offseason workout program is only two days old and with 61 players officially on the roster, 57 of them have shown up for at least one of the two voluntary days (and most have been here both days). Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald has been in India, but he’s a guy who’ll show up as soon as he is back in town. And I am hearing that defensive tackle Darnell Dockett may also show up next week (the only others who have yet to make an appearance are tight end Anthony Becht and defensive tackle Alan Branch, but I am sure both will be here sooner rather than later). Obviously, that doesn’t include guard Deuce Lutui, the restricted free agent who cannot participate until he signs his tender offer.

On another subject, the NFL is set to announce the full preseason schedule tomorrow (Wednesday) at noon Arizona time. The regular schedule is still another couple weeks away as usual, but at least there will be a taste of what is to come (my bet: The Cards finish the preseason with a home game against the Broncos. I’m not going out on too far of a limb, am I?)

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “An impressive turnout and the preseason sked”

1. By seeing red.....birds on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Something tells me that the Cards will open the regular season vs. San Fran. Just a hunch.

2. By AZ JAM on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

They play the Broncos at home this regular season. If they finish the pre-season against the Broncos it will be even more meaningless than usual. Hope its on the road and the third preseason game is here at home.

3. By darrenurban on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Az Jam –

The Cardinals have closed the preseason against the Broncos six years in a row. I don’t know if it’s going to change now.

4. By Eric on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I’m so sick of seeing the Broncos in the preseason and opening with Niners every year, it’s time to mix it up a little. I’m guessing Bears and Broncos at home for the preseason, and road games at Houston and San Diego.

5. By Gmony on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

darrenurban-

How does the preseason scheduling work? Why have we played the Broncos 6 years in a row now?

6. By Pay9-0.com on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren,On Extra sports 910 today…MJ reported that Dockett’s agent Drew approached Rod Graves/Bidwill during the owners meetings and showed them what they want for an (5year)extention.Also saying that 9-0 would not work on a deal again if one is not made before week 1….any word on the numbers or details??
    Thanks

7. By darrenurban on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Gmony –

Preseason is usually based around relative proximity and relationships between the franchises.

8. By darrenurban on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Pay9-0 —

I haven’t heard anything.

9. By Steve on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Because as as Cards fan dispalced in Denver it is the only time I get to see the Cards live unless they are playing Minn in Phx (group drives down in a purple van with me in my Red) or Tenn.

Last year was a great fluke. Got to see the Cards three times!

10. By Kenny on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I thought Alan Branch finally got the message last year that he needs to be committed and be in shape. And then he’s one of only a handful of guys who doesn’t show up? What gives?

11. By darrenurban on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Kenny –

An excellent question.

12. By Halloweenjack37 on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I love having them play the Broncos so often, its going to be great going to work after they get stomped in both games this year..

Its good to see another Cardinal fan here in Denver :)

13. By Ditship on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Any bets on whether Alan Branch shows up over weight again this year? It was nice to see him actually do something last year but I still don’t have the highest expectations for him. It really sucks that out of him and Gabe it had to be Gabe that can’t stay healthy. It really seems like Gabe wants to play for the Cards where as Branch is just phoning it in most the time.

14. By Mathew on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

-Steve & Halloweenjack
    I am a displaced Arizonan living in Loveland, CO. I assure you that I am the ONLY person in Loveland driving around with a Cardinals license plate frame!

15. By Greg on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Hopefully they don’t schedule a preseason game with a regular season home opponent. (like the Packers last year) This is the biggest rip-off in pro sports!

16. By Ctownbeatdown on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think the cards have ever beat the broncos.

17. By alex u on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Lets trade McFadden and Branch for CB Terrance McGee and a 4th rounder, never going to happen, he’s just my 2nd favorite CB in the league and i want him in AZ, and personally, i think he deserves better than Buffalo. Serious talk though, i hate the 49′ers so much, just wanted to say that, even though it’s obvious. GO Cards!

18. By Tbru on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I know we play the division teams twice every year and one designated rotating division each year, why does it seem like we travel to Carolina every single year? Shouldn’t complain, I am only 4 hours away from Charlotte and the best chance I have of catching a game. It just seems curious.

19. By Slim on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

The Cards have a following in Geelong, Australia, they should come over and visit Ben Grahams home town. Play a touch football game against our local side and have a family day, they’d fill the 30,000 seat stadium in Geelong.

20. By AndyStandsUp on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

Realize you’re not part of the marketing department, Darren, but with games coming up against fan stalwart teams like the Donkeys, Evil Deads and Poopkickers..err, Broncos, Raiders and Cowboys are the Cards planning on using the “Protect the Nest” preseason package?
    It seems chintzy to me for a franchise thats sold out all of it’s UPHO games.

21. By DRC#1fan on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

I would liek to see a schedule rotation where we saw every team no matter place our division. it would only take 4 years to see every team at home.

I have a feeling ol Micky Fadden is gonna shut all u doubters the hell up this year. I do.

HELL YEAH!!! I love Ben Grahm and his home town. I wanna go to that BBQ in Australia. are we eating Kangaroo?

I was a 49ers fan my whole life until we changed into their division, now I cant help but hate them. sorry grandma.

22. By Dan on Mar 30, 2010 | Reply

UPDATE
    Just spotted Alan Branch and Jamarcus Russell feeding eachother triple cheeseburgers with arms interlocked at Jack in the Box. (Just in case anyone was wondering why AB was missing conditioning drills)

23. By TucsonTim on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

I know this seems like I’m beating a dead horse but you’re the one who can ask Graves, Bidwell, Whiz why we are the only team who made the playoffs without an offensive coordinator. I can’t. To quote you:

“Warner caught fire, IMO, because he finally got a coaching staff that would work”

Todd Haley was a critical part of that coaching staff.

24. By CMacyn on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    I was up early this morning and saw something on ESPN that caught my attention, They were reporting that Porter is now saying that the officer struck him first. IDK about him saying that, it may be more trouble drawing and lead to more distractions. Your thoughts?

25. By TucsonTim on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

According to ESPN Porters blood alcohol was 0.07 and 0.08.

26. By Wampag on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Per Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, McNabb “has his sights set” on eventually playing for the Cardinals. It could have happened in 2010; Cole reports that the Cardinals inquired about trading for McNabb before signing Anderson. Now, the Cardinals officially aren’t interested

were we really that close or is this all hoooyay?

27. By Cam on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren
    Shouldn’t the headline be an impressive turnout just wondering anyways do you think the cards are interested in drafting Sean Weatherspoon assuming he slips to number 26 overall in the draft.

28. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands –

I haven’t heard. But it’s become something that many teams — not just the Cardinals — do.

I understand your thought process. But I also get the other side — why make it easier for non-Cards fans to get seats to games with their favorite teams?

29. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Tucson –

But see, here’s the rub — they made the playoffs. You, sitting on the outside, see that as a fluke. Those on the inside think the staff is operating fine. I suppose I could ask them, but if I were them, I’d give you the same answer — the Cardinals won more games than they ever had since moving to Arizona, and won the division.

30. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn –

I think I’ll let Porter handle things the way he wants.

31. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

Close in what regard? I wouldn’t be surprised if many teams asked about McNabb, but given the situation with McNabb’s age and contract, as soon as the Eagles said we want a first-round pick (or, again given the circumstances, even a second-rounder) the Cards probably said thanks but no thanks. I don’t call that close. As I just mentioned, in everything I have written, I have never said McNabb will never be a Cardinal. I just said they aren’t going to trade for him this year.

32. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Cam –

Thanks for catching that. We’ll see with Weatherspoon.

33. By Jeremiah on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Ctownbeatdown

The Cards are 0-9-1 all time in the regular season against the broncos, and they won a preseason game in ’04 against the broncos.

DRC#1fan

I get that feeling about McFadden as well, I just think that the things he struggled with last year will improve with minor adjustments, like learning to look for the ball. Also if our pass rush is indeed better this year, then QBs will have less time to pick apart the secondary.

34. By Emmett on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

There’s a guy on the video you posted who looks identical to Alan Branch. Am I seeing things are did you possibly make a mistake Darren?

35. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Emmett –

I am guessing you are talking about OL Jonathan Palmer, who looks a lot like Alan.

2. Apr 1, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog