• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Inside some contract numbers

Posted by Darren Urban on March 31, 2010 – 4:32 pm

When the Cardinals signed their current crop of free agents — linebacker Joey Porter, quarterback Derek Anderson, linebacker Paris Lenon and guard Rex Hadnot — much was made about the size of their contracts. But, especially for Porter and Anderson, both are clearly set up to give the Cardinals some leeway after one season if the team goes in a different direction.

According to the NFL Players Association, Porter’s three-year contract — worth a reported $17.5 million — provides Porter with a $1.25 million salary in 2010 and $5.75 million salaries in 2011 and 2012. Assuming the $17.5 million is correct, that gave Porter $4.75 million in bonuses or other non-salary money. Even if all that money is up front, that’s $6 million for 2010, not an out-of-whack up-front commitment. (UPDATE: Hat tip to Mike Sando, who saw the post and let me know Porter’s signing bonus was $4 million with workout bonuses of $250,000 each season. Seeing Porter work out the first couple days, I am guessing he’ll collect that money, but it also means “just” $5.5 million in 2010.)

Anderson’s deal was worth a reported $7.25 million for two seasons. His salary for 2010 is just $650,000 (with approximately $2.7 million in bonus money) before jumping to $3.9 million in 2011. Again, a fair split for a quarterback, and also workable if the Cards decide to quickly go elsewhere at the position. Much has been made about how much Matt Leinart will make in 2011 if he stays under his current deal (north of $12 million for sure, and more if he plays really well) but the Cards are clearly trying to stay flexible at the position.

Lenon is schedule to make $900,000 in salary this season before $1.4 million salaries in 2011 and 2012, while Hadnot’s salaries on a three-year deal break down to $1 million this year and $1.5 million in 2011 and 2012.

Tags: , , , , ,

38 Responses to “Inside some contract numbers”

1. By Chris on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

So I guess there were some charges for Porter… ha ha ho ho he he …. I kid I kid.

Lame joke I know.

2. By RodgersCromartie on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Derren,

Any news on weather Rackers is coming back or if Feely might sign? And also, is Arizona going to do anything in the cornerback spot? Dont see much depth there, especially with McFadden not playing good

3. By Shannon Robinson on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

very impressive contract negotiations – good job Mr. Graves! And thank you for signing Matt Ware. I think Matt had a lot of loyalty to the Cardinals and knew the value of what the organization has done for him. Loyalty and patience to get the deal done is an excellent combination. I’d like to see a salary breakdown for the Cards’ entire roster – USA Today used to do it for all the teams in the NFL…..

4. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Rodgers –

Nothing new on the kickers. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a CB in the draft later on.

5. By Eazy E on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

SIGN FEELY NO RACKERS!!!! I think Mcfadden will have a better year because he’s playing for a new contract, but with that being said we need to draft a cornerback.

6. By Skiptim on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do you ever do Cardinals mock drafts? Also, if you don’t mind, how tall are you? From what I was able to see through the window, you seemed to tower over Wolfley last weekend during your poker night.

7. By King Diamond on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

Did we pass on Feely? Are we even talking with Rakers? And would we bring back Nugent? HE seemed to do a fairly good job.

8. By cody on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Is Greg Toler going to have a chance to start this year??? And do you think he is starting material??? I saw a lot of promise from the little i saw him play last year, and I heard Ken Whisenhunt call him our best man-cover CB.

9. By Patrick on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren: has Branch shown up yet? Hard to beleive he hasn’t gotten the message by now. Sheeez.

Re J. Peezy..whew!

10. By alex u on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

We were 1 of 6 teams to have a CB coach at boise state’s pro day to watch CB Kyle Wilson, which means we could MAYBE draft him if other players arn’t there for us. But i wouldn’t like that because, i want a damn ILB or NT and personally i like are CB’s. Trumaine McBride for instance, was the NO.3 corner in Chicago and started 9 games in his first year after Vasher got injured. He’s only 24 now, and he could be are NO.4 CB and then maybe potentially start for us in the future. Speaking of which, Darren how’s he doing? Is he back at 100%? Man i hate the Bears ever since that damn MNF game. But i think we should only go after a CB that can punt return, maybe Javier Arenas or A.J Jefferson, that’s why i said we should go after Terrance McGee but, id rather have a younger CB from the draft anyway. Just shouting out my opinion.

11. By FightON on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Glad Matt signed..just as an aside, when Matt got married, his groom’s cake was a Cardinal’s helmet and their wedding was red and white.

12. By FightON on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Ooops, wrong place…That was Matt Ware I was talking about, lol.

13. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Skip –

I don’t do full mocks for the Cards. I don’t know enough of the late round college guys.
    And I am sure you saw me. I was the 7-foot-6 guy in the corner.

14. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

King –

Still no word on how the kicker situation will play out.

15. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Cody -

I do think Toler has a chance to start. And I do think he his capable.

16. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Alex –

I assume you are asking about McBride. He’s lifted weights for a week. So in that context, he looks great. It’s a little early to tell otherwise.

17. By Beauchamp on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    How much is McFadden’s contract going to cost us if we were to cut him after we theoretically sign Lito Shepperd and see what our competition that Whiz loves so much. Is there any chance we target Mays in the 1st round so we can let wilson play some more lb roles on 3rd and long and let kerry rhodes roam like he’s good at? I think the 3 safety set we ran w/ aaron francisco deep over the top and let rolle and wilson do their things was very productive especially against the eagles here during the 2008 season NFC champ game. Also, big question; is there any chance we’re going to see Brandon Keith at LT next year? or Levi go back to the left where he excelled in college at? Some guys are one side only tackles… Just want your thoughts o wise one.

18. By DRC#1FAN on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

I like those numbers. That is how the Cardinals have made the biggest change, in my opinion. They are willing to wait and see who they can fit into their system at a good price. no one player is worth over paying. Quality players will find you and make good deals that are reasonable, like FITz and Warner did. I hope to see the Cardinals stick to the good business practice and be a solid organization. Thank You Bidwell Family for the greatest change of a franchise EVER!!!!

19. By fighting bird on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Any news abouy 90. Are the cards and 90 talking about his contract. Like Ron Wolfly said he is one of the pillars of the D side of the ball and it would be disasterous to loose him.

20. By donald J. on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren when does the regular season come out? I know who we play, but on what Sundays of each month.

21. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Beauchamp –

Lotta questions there.

They aren’t going to cut McFadden, unless they draft a guy and Bryant is terrible in camp — which I don’t expect. I doubt they take a safety in the first round. Rhodes is going to roam. Having Ware back is what should put the Cards in position to use Wilson. I just don’t see them using a first-rounder on a guy who would only be a spot player for now and long-term as long as Wilson is around. I do think Levi will be put at LT and Keith and Herman Johnson will battle to be RT.

22. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Fighting –

Dockett isn’t going anywhere. He is under contract for two more seasons, and there is the franchise tag after that.

23. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Donald –

I expect the regular-season schedule to be released sometime in the next couple of weeks.

24. By Card's Refugee on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    You said you expect Levi to be at LT and Keith and Herman to battle for RT? Does this mean that Bridges is only a back up? Or is he going to compete with Levi?

25. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Cards –

Bridges could be in the mix, I suppose. I do expect Levi to start though, so Bridges would have to beat out one of the young guys.

26. By Wampag on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Wow D i just got this one out of an Agent I know in NY of all places

McNabb is going to San Francisco and I have to believe especailly after falling 0-2 to them, that this makes them instant contenders in our division I mean depending on the schedules they are suddenly REAL

not that I have faith in McNabb but winners produce, he’ll get them to the playoffs especially if you consider their O with him Gore/Crabtree/Davis and I also hear that they will grab TO which I find crazy but thats the deal

NY is saying it will be announced late tonight if it breaks or early tomorrow
    wow with McNabb their tough

27. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

Given the date, I think I am leaning toward a) you’re trying to prank, or b) your “friend” is.

28. By Wampag on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

ha ha

yeah

but actually the more I thought about it the more I thought San fran would be crazy not to give up their first round pick for him

honestly its the only peice they are missing

29. By Chris on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

If the Cards need a web guy or if you want an assistant, let me know :)

ASU senior for Web Development and would love to work for the organization.

Random, I know.. but wanted to put it out there.

30. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Chris –

Actually, we have a spot open. Just drop me a line.

/usually doesn’t do cruel and unusual April Fool’s jokes

31. By Chris on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

You made the light inside me get warm and fuzzy… then took it all away with one line of text sir…

Now I shall go curl into the fetal position and cry again. :(

32. By fighting bird on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren for the info on 90. For some reason I thought he only had one year left, sorry.

33. By AdamJT13 on Apr 3, 2010 | Reply

I’m no Mike Sando, but I can give you the specifics on Derek Anderson’s bonuses. He got a signing bonus of $2.5 million, and he has workout bonuses of $100,000 that he can earn each season.

34. By JakePlummer716 on Apr 3, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren i am excellent at ball washing, i have 29 years of experience. Is there A ball washing position open? Sorry, this is my attempt at clowning the web designer guy!

35. By darrenurban on Apr 3, 2010 | Reply

AdamJT13 –

You may not be Sando, but you’re pretty good on your own. When you know what compensatory picks the Cards get for losing Dansby, let me know. ;)

P.S. Thanks for the Anderson info.

36. By darrenurban on Apr 3, 2010 | Reply

JakePlummer –

Web designer guy? Comon, I’m so much more than that.

37. By Brian on Apr 18, 2010 | Reply

The Cards will not regret picking up LB Paris Lenon. He is a pro in every aspect of his work on and off the field. Smart move. He will bring immediate professional maturity, work ethic and consistency. He is way underrated.

2. Apr 2, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com