No charges for Porter

Posted by Darren Urban on March 31, 2010 – 1:13 pm

The ABC television affiliate in Bakersfield, Calif., is reporting that the local district attorney’s office will not file charges against linebacker Joey Porter for his arrest last weekend by the California Highway Patrol. Obviously, that is good news for Porter. I don’t know if the team will be commenting further on the subject, and it’s unknown if Porter faces any action from the league. But it’s fair to say that, if the law has decided not to pursue the issue, it makes it more unlikely anything else will be done to Porter.

UPDATE: Here is the official statement from Supervising Deputy District Attorney Mark Pafford: “Based upon the information that was provided to us by the CHP, we did not believe that there would be a reasonable likelihood that a jury would find Mr. Porter guilty beyond a reasonable doubt of the allegations. With this belief, we thought it was not appropriate for us to proceed.”

Tags:

40 Responses to “No charges for Porter”

1. By Jesse Robles on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

To all the DOUBTERS, and everyone who laughed about us getting Joey Porter, even CARDINAL fans, this is a perfect example of people jumping to conclusions without knowing ANY facts of what happened. He showed up DAY 1 at the Facility in Tempe on Monday. NOW WE CAN MOVE ON!! Draft another LB in the First Round of the Draft, we could have a very solid Defense, LETS GO CARDS!!!

2. By AZ JAM on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Great news for all Card Fans. However, I’m sure that this will be a lesson for Joey on where not to be.

3. By Eazy E on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Good Good News!!!

4. By Jesse Robles on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Beanie Wells is going to run wild on everyone this year!!!

5. By Chris on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Now let’s all put this behind us.. pray for the best from the league in regards to this situation and move forward.

6. By chad d. on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

what a relief. hopefully he presses charges on the cop that allegedly hit him

7. By Mack on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

The league or the Cards can still suspend him right? But I think you said 2 players last year had DUI’s and didn’t get suspended, what are the chances he does?

8. By rasj on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Good news… it looked kinda bad there for a second.

9. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Mack —

As I said in the post, I don’t know for sure what this means. It may be over now. He may still have to talk to the NFL. I’m not sure.

10. By Scott H on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Jesse –

Well said. I freely admit that I was one who perhaps over-reacted initially. Hey, because I’m a fan and I always want to see the best results on the field, I’m happy for the outcome and I’m glad there are no legal charges. He could still face a suspension from the team or the league, but…whatever. Because I want to see him on the field doing what he does for the good of the team, no complaints here if it’s over and done with. BUT Mr Porter apparently does need to show better judgement going forward or he ( AND we, as fans ) may not be so fortunate next time. Whether or not there IS a next time is completely on him.

11. By Cards24fan on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Sweet!

12. By Chris on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

The optimist inside me says that this is the last we will hear about charges regarding this case and Porter. If they are not drawing up charges, I don’t see why the league would pursue anything. That’s like saying any NFL player who gets arrested for reasons that could be true or false will be in trouble with the league. If Porter had charges filed and court proceedings found him guilty, then yes, obviously the league should suspend etc. But considering the outcome of this thus far.. no reason to.

13. By shannon robinson on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

As I tell my clients when we win a big one – ‘Let’s quietly leave the Courthouse and then run for our lives.’ I hope Mr. Porter understands that it’s no time to brag, just leave well enough alone and realize there’s a bit of luck here. Assault on a Peace Officer is sometimes Contempt of Cop; must have been something he said. However my bet is that if Mr. Porter was struck, the handcuffs were already on.

14. By spitfire772 on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

People like to jump to conclusions on these situations, though I can’t exactly blame them. But his alcohol level was probably not over the legal limit, there’s disputes about whether the officer struck Porter or whether Porter merely slapped the officer’s hand. Either way, it seemed way blown out of proportion. He won’t be suspended and hopefully will work harder because it still wasn’t the best start to coming to a new team.

15. By TucsonTim on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Feels so good to say I told you so. Now let’s move forward and build a decent defense that can take us beyond the first round of the playoffs.

16. By Nick Pepe on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

@ Chris – I agree / no charges, no meeting with Roger. Perhaps a letter stating we expect smarter or better conduct etc…..but I would doubt the league would get involved much beyond that.
    Darren- what are the chances you can get Mr. Porter to speak about the incident. I imagine his entourage is encouraging him to say little to nothing, but I would love to hear his side of the sory.

17. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

My guess is Joey isn’t going to be speaking about it. There’s no upside, especially now. I know I wouldn’t.

18. By Ditship on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Well.. with the actual DUIs that Tatupu and Hill got with the Seahawks and them not missing a snap Porter better not.. It is kind of sad that I’m cheering that a player on the Cards won’t miss play because his arrest has fallen through but I guess it is what it is.

19. By Secret on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Thank goodness he wasn’t charged! I don’t care if he gets suspended for a game or not, this is really good news for the Cardinals. Learn the lesson of Joey cardinal players…

20. By CardinalSwagger on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

This is great news! He shouldn’t receive punishment by the NFL nor I think he would. Man, I miss football!!!

21. By Thomas77 on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Do you have any insight into the Big Red Rage? Who will be the new host now that the B-Train is gone? I’m assuming they’re not going to cancel that show, right? I hope not….

22. By fighting bird on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

OK people you heard it ,nothing will be done by the Dist. att. office so its OVER with Joey Porter so let it die and lets get ready for some smash mouth football.

23. By Tim Pino on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

You cant ask for a better early EASTER PRESENT then this! Thanks for the update Darren.

~Tim in NJ

24. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 —

I don’t know about a new host yet, but it’s not going anywhere. I have heard there will be some offseason and preseason Rages coming, including one scheduled at the draft party April 22.

25. By thereisonly1 on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

im willing to bet that at least half of the people who visit this website (along with any other sports site) have a DUI. im not saying its ok to drink and drive, but **** HAPPENS. to everyone. now lets go play some ball.

26. By Tbru on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Great News, I apologize if I ever doubted you Mr Porter.

and with all due respect thereisonly1….
    No having a DUI is not the acceptable norm

27. By King Diamond on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

IF Joey Porter was smart…he would do some PR work and make a donation to MADD….just a thought….it would certainly be the right thing to do.

28. By Florio on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Porter still a drunk!!!!!!! And Worthless overated, over the hill LB

29. By Big D on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

lol sounds like a case of a cop trying to dog a citizen again. joey obviously wasnt drinking while driving or best believe he would be in trouble right now. dont get my statement wrong theres alot of good cops but theres a good amount of (jerks) too.

30. By Dennis K on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

I said it last week he would get off…There was no way they were going to pursue a case against Porter in his home town with circumstantial evidence.
    Porter will make sure it doesn’t happen again.

31. By nor cal cards fan on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Steve Swenson of the Bakersfield Californian is reporting that the officer who arrested Joey is currently fighting a pending DUI charge himself right now and has a shady past. That’s why it’s always best to reserve judgement until all the facts are revealed folks. I was mad when he got arrested but refrained from coming on here and bashing him and now i’m glad i did. Now i bet all the Niner fans who were jumping up and down thinking he was going to get a 4 game suspension feel pretty stupid….3-PEAT BABY!

32. By tyler on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

That’s great news. I will be pissed if the league takes action. I mean pissed. Joey lucked out.

33. By donald J. on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Joey, just a thought. When your homey gets pulled over and you pull up after you’ve been drinking, any smart individual would just keep going. Not to smart.

34. By JP on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

It makes me feel sick that the overwhelming response on this board: “great news”.
    This whole thing feels like such a departure from the positive things that have been going on the last 3-4 years. Why are you all so OK with this type of behavior? Do you have different expectations for NFL players than you do for yourselves? Please don’t give me any crap and suggest that he wasn’t way out of line.
    I’m worried about loosing locker room leadership that could help deal with characters like Porter who could wrech the chemistry.

35. By wetMILK on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Why is Free Bird suddenly playing in my head (couldn’t resist) — that is all!

36. By clssylssy on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

All that really means is that they do not believe they can get a conviction and so will not pursue the matter. Not surprising if you remember that celebrities enjoy a certain entitled status in California…remember OJ? I still think we need to quit being the dumping ground for everyone else’s problems and put our money to better use such as retaining players who have proven to be an asset to the team and have leadership value. I don’t think this guy is smart enough to learn from his experience and I’m sure this won’t be the last time he makes the news on the police blotter. Even is other guys have had DUI’s that doesn’t make it right it just means they have more money than anybody else and can afford to buy a higher tier in the legal system.

37. By Big D on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

to jp

dude he is not being tried dudes innocent. just because a cop takes you in dosnt mean you are in the wrong. being in this great state I have been held for walking while being brown without a license does it mean im a criminal no.

2. Mar 31, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com