Ware returns on one-year deal

Posted by Darren Urban on March 31, 2010 – 9:39 am

Safety Matt Ware is finally back in the fold. He’s agreed to a one-year contract (he isn’t expected to officially sign until later this week or early next week) but given how important he had become in letting Adrian Wilson do some of the things he is good at — with Ware in the secondary, A-Dub can have some freedom near the line of scrimmage —  it was important to bring Ware back. He’s also solid on special teams and good in the locker room. His signing whittles down the number of unrestricted free agents who still might return — kicker Neil Rackers, defensive tackle Bryan Robinson, quarterback Brian St. Pierre and fullback Dan Kreider. Guard Deuce Lutui, a restricted free agent, is still expected to eventually sign his tender offer.

Tags:

29 Responses to “Ware returns on one-year deal”

1. By Secret on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

This is very good news for the Card’s pass rush

2. By Voice of Reason on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Whew – Super Bowl here we come!

Hey Darren — Pro Football Weekly is reporting that McNabb wants to play for the Cards, and that the Cards inquired about McNabb before signing Anderson. Any truth to the latter that you know about?

I still think McNabb gives the Cards the best chance to continue the momentum that began with Warner.

Probably the best thing is to simply allow McNabb to be traded to Oakland, let him play out the last year of that deal, and then sign him as an UFA for 2011 if Leinart doesn’t play the way he needs to.

3. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Voice —

As I have mentioned (and I may have to blog), I’ve never said McNabb would never play in Arizona. I said they wouldn’t trade for him this year. If he becomes a free agent in 2011, everything changes.

4. By cardcarrier on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Man….. Mcwhatever should never play for AZ!!!!!! He is gettin older and he isn`t even very good anyhow. I dont think he even wants to be a card unlike the player we have at the position already. Let Matt rock it. it`s his time to shine….. trust me he will do great. we have the players we need to be great so lets see what they do. Forget about Mcnever going to play for us ok.

5. By rabidcard on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

where do you think we go in the draft? I look at it as where we can least absorb an injury. If Matt goes down, we have Derek, If BEanie, we have Tim, etc etc.

At what position can we least afford to lose a starter?

I know there are unknowns with Johnson at S and Toler at CB as well as Brown at LB.

I am petrified of losing a CB again and hope there is a quality candidate at our 1st pick. After CB, i would go LB/DE. Your thoughts?

6. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Rabidcard —

I think early (the first two rounds) the Cards can’t be afraid to go with the best player on the board. I do think they go defense early. But there are enough spots to shore up — NT, LB, even CB — that the team has a lot of freedom and still go after the best player.

7. By dylan on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    i must say i like your work you keep us updated all the time except the fact people ask the same question every day

8. By Adam on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Everyone seems to have a 1st Round Mock Draft these days… when will we be seeing the Darren Urban Mock Draft?

9. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Adam —

I will have one up the week of the draft, probably the day before the draft starts.

10. By Chris on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

I think Cards will shore up NT at 1st round with Brian Price.. regardless of what is being said about his pro day right now. Check tape for him on youtube..

11. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

It’s amazing to me, how much the importance of Matt Ware has become. The days of him getting burned when he was a cb are gone. When he was released by Philly. Then, almost getting cut by the Cards, even after the move to safety. I guess he really blew up this year.

12. By K-DUB on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Would you assume it is a lock that the Cards would take a QB in the 3rd or 4th round?

13. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Who or how will they replace Sean Morey? Was his role important enough on special teams to have to go out and get a special teams guy only? Or will they look to fill it with someone they already have? Or could a rookie possibly do it?

14. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub —

15. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Sittin —

I can’t answer specifically, but I would guess the Cards were well aware Morey might leave and were prepared for such a thing.

16. By vsancards on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Honestly, I don’t understand the fascination with Ware. He is a servicable guy and there are dozens like him

17. By TucsonTim on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

I’ve always felt this McNabb story is one of bait and switch. Too bad you can’t afford McNabb but we do have this pro bowl quarterback who is getting more and more vocal about wanting to play. Maybe we could make a deal. Let’s face it, no one with a pro bowl QB is talking to Philly so why wouldn’t they want Vick. Just saying.

And there is no way Philly is going to let McNabb go to AZ. Think they want to face the Cards in another NFC championship game with McNabb at the helm. Never going to happen.

If the ownership has poisoned its relationship with McNabb he’s going to the Siberia of the NFL, Oakland, St. Louis,etc. He’s not going to a playoff team.

Next year he’s a FA, :)

18. By fighting bird on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Pay attention to what was said. Ware is good for ADub to do the things he does the best so thats why Ware is important to have. Thanks Darren for keeping us up om stuff.”WE DO THIS TOGETHER>!!!!!!!!!!

19. By LUKE on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

darren,quick question….why is it that ware being in the game opens more avenues for wilson?ive heard that alot.cant put my finger on why….

20. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Luke —

In sub-packages, Ware can basically play a traditional strong safety role, allowing Wilson to be a linebacker/safety hybrid who can play near the line of scrimmage or generally be used as a wild card for DC Bill Davis.

21. By Scott H on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

One more down, hopefully three more ( Robinson, Lutui, and Rackers ) to go! Not sure why people are still talking about McNabb…the signing of Anderson made it clear that McNabb is not in this team’s plans. Interstingly enough, this was being talked about on sports radio just this AM out here in the Philly area. For what it’s worth, a very reputable source stated that there were two specific teams ( the Cardinals were one of them ) who MAY have initially had some interest but bailed out real quick when they heard what the Eagles wanted in return. Apparently, that was a first round pick. Well, apparently, a lot of teams agree with the Cardinals that he is NOT worth a first rounder because NO ONE has offered them that. Now, the Eagles are totally caught with their pants down because they have made it clear that McNabb is available ( and reality is, they want him out so the Kevin Kolb era can begin ) but they severely over-estimated his value. In the process, they have apparently scared many teams away. The Cardinals just may have been one of them. It is also a very popular opinion that regardless of where McNabb is this year, he will end up in Minnesota in 2011 where he will be re-united with Brad Childress. Given that the Vikings are an indoor team with a lot of talent and potential, that seems like an ideal situation for him. Don’t be surprised if it plays out just that way. But I’d say you are wasting your time if you’re hoping McNabb will land in Arizona this year.

PS – Darn…I swore I was done talking about McNabb!

22. By King Diamond on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Note to Duece:

Man up-sign your contract and go battle Hadnot for your spot. Another suggestion: maybe work with Grimm on your technique and watch some film of the teams we are going to play. If you want big money, then act like a pro.

23. By darrenurban on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

Mom always told you not to swear.

24. By jimmy joe on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren;

Nice work, I follow a couple of teams and I always feel rewarded by how much information we can get out of the azcardinals site. Any idea on what the deal is with Kreider? Are they currently in negotiations, or, waiting until after the draft? If the parties are talking, any clue how close/far they are? Of course this is assuming the Cards even want to resign him. Thank you.

25. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Jimmy —

I think they still are looking at Kreider, but I don’t know exactly where that stands.

26. By adam larson on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren, any FA WR’s out there other then T.O., Holt, and Marshall? … I dunno how comfortable I am with Ed Gant or O.J. Jones being the 4 and 5 WR’s! I do like Gant’s height> 6 foot 3, but he needs more weight> 190. I do know he has some hops. O.J.> don’t know too much about him? Because of this my Mock is something like this.

1st- NT or LB, best player available at either of those positions.
    2nd- LB or NT, whichever position they didn’t get in Round 1
    3rd- CB
    3rd- LT
    4th- WR
    5th- QB, love Max Hall from BYU
    6th- another LB
    7th- a DB, leaning more Safety then CB here

What do u think of that bloggers? Just going off what we have and where team needs are at!!!

27. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Adam —

Don’t see them looking at any WRs until after the draft.

28. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Ha Ha! Hey, I blame you for this! I didn’t have a potty mouth until I started reading these blogs! All down hill since then…

2. Mar 31, 2010: Cards Reportedly Re-sign Safety Matt Ware » Cardinals Gab