Weight a minute

Posted by Darren Urban on April 1, 2010 – 4:20 pm

Last summer I wrote a column about John Lott’s desire to have many players — including stars like Larry Fitzgerald and Kurt Warner — play a little slimmer. That hasn’t changed.

The Cardinals’ strength and conditioning coach said he wants linebacker Joey Porter, who has been listed at 255 and is 250 right now, to play this season at 240 pounds, “I want to get Joey back to the weight he was at Colorado State, get him like a little chihuahua around the edge,” Lott said.

“The one thing these guys understand, in my opinion, is when someone is trying to honestly trying to help them,” Lott said. “I’m not saying I’m the messiah or belong in Canton, but I have some reference to me now. Joey is another Bryan Cox to me. You won’t have a better teammate than Bryan Cox, but if he’s on the other team, you hate him. I’m glad we have Joey. But I want Joey to have the best year of his career. When he does that, I sleep well at night.”

Beanie Wells played at times in college at 250, Lott said, but was in the 230s last season and ideally would be in the 220s.

Not every player needs to lose. Cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie dropped to 169 pounds after his knee surgery, but he is back into a solid 184 pounds (and, having seen him, DRC does look surprisingly thick up top, which should help him).  “He felt he had a down year last year, I know he had a down year last year and we are looking for bigger things out of him,” Lott said. (And if DRC is making the Pro Bowl on a down year, what does that mean if he has a “good” year?)

Tags: , , , ,

34 Responses to “Weight a minute”

1. By Matt on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren is joey not talking to you? He’s never quoted in these stories….. :D

2. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Matt —

Actually, I introduced myself to Joey the other day, and he was very nice in our brief conversation. Probably not going to talk to him much about the Bakersfield incident, and as for the Lott stuff, Porter wasn’t around after John brought it up.

3. By Javy on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

wow well if mcnabb does go to the cards will he have a chance to compete with derek anderson for the #2 spot??

4. By pjdylan on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

John Lott is one of the best.

5. By Bobf on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Should be easier to just get a general “feel” for him now that Bakersfield is in the past.

6. By Jason on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren does Lott ever try to get you to work out as well? Lol. Who would win in a bench press competition, you or Calvisi? I think you guys should do it!

7. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Jason —

Actually, I went up Camelback with the rookies once last summer and plan to do it again.

As for me and Paul, he’d probably win. I think the height thing drives him … :)

8. By Thomas77 on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, cause we all know Paulie is standing on a box in that Cardinals Underground photo!

9. By Card's Refugee on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

How does Branch look? Did he come in, in shape? I sure hope so!

10. By Justin on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

I was hoping you can help me. Do you know of anyway that I could get one of those cardinals training shirts that say “get your mind right” on the back that Lott wears? I would pay or do anything!

11. By TucsonTim on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

How many times has McNabb run up Camelback?

12. By TucsonTim on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Can’t wait to see how this plays out. Would I give up a 1st and a 2nd, does Elmer Fudd have trouble…you know the rest

13. By TucsonTim on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Hall of fame QB’s come around once every generation (and I am hated on all blogs for saying Warner is NOT a HOF QB) McNabb is a HOF QB and where he plays for the last 6 years of his HOF career is up in the air. He says he wants to play in AZ. OMG you can’t let this opportunity pass. The window is open and it isn’t open wide. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

14. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Justin —

To be honest, I want one of those myself. But those are for guys on the inside. They are the ones that have earned it.

15. By dylan on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

wait your saying mcnabb is better the KURT WARNER

idk i must have a eye sight problem

darren did i read that right?

16. By Mike on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Wow tim, Everyone is entitled to an opinion but how do you put Mcnabb in HOF standing and not Warner? He hasnt won a SB and isnt even close to the records Warner has. Just sayin…

17. By EricY on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

How do the same subjects (Mcnabb, Leinart good enough, etc) manage to make it into EVERY one of darrenurban’s blogs?

In seeing DRC around, how would YOU say he looks? Besides looking thicker up top, how is he carrying himself? It was hard to assess in the recent video but it almost looked like he had a small limp in those workouts. That’s gotta be a hell of an injury to come right back from.

18. By lemar on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

we should try to get alex brown. what yall thank

19. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Never thought about the Joey Porter- Bryan Cox comparison, but it’s true, they’re similar players, as long as Porter can keep his middle fingers to himself. (OK, one finger can occassionally glance a 49er QB eye.)
    I wonder how Lott would do on a possible 1st round draftee like 3′ 6″ 350 lb Cody from Alabama? That guy, though talented, looks like a bowling ball in distress.

20. By Nick on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

The story of a HOF’er is more than the on field stuff. He’s one of a handful of players that has an unblemished off field record. He took TWO (2) weak to average teams to the SB. Came out of no where, was part of two of the highest scoring SB teams, holds THREE (3) yardage records for SB’s played in. Wait that means, he’s 1,2,3; wait that means for each and every SB he played in he set a milestone. What QB has EVER done that? Kurt!

BTW, Lott is the man! Look at the team’s track record of injuries. Very minimum compared to other teams. That’s a sign of GREAT conditioning!

21. By Paul on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

I already knew it, but after watching the NFL Films video of our 2010 schedule, it struck me how often A. Rolle “bailed out” when a ball carrier approached. I know AR made a lot of big plays the last couple of years but man, you don’t want your safeties afraid to hit someone. Getting Rhodes is looking better all the time.

22. By Cardinals bandwagon rules on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

welcome tucson tim, This must be a new team to route for especially since the superbowl run in 08′, good to see that you stopped routing for the Eagles and decided to route for a team from your own state.

23. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

DRC is my freakin favorite Cardinal now. I hope he does well after surgery and we sign him to years and years of contracts. I love his arse so much.

reapeating myself. my uncle saw McnaB in an awatukee gym. mcnab said its not up to him anymore as far as the cards go. hmm. mysterious. kinda like what whiz said…. Warner is way more accurate but Mcnab is a way better at extending plays and makin it happen. warner is better on paper though.

I knew Porter was innocent. cant keep a good (expletive) down. :)

I love mat lienart!!! go cardinals DEFENSE!!! the red WAVE!!

24. By fitzis11red on Apr 2, 2010 | Reply

Lemar-

I am all for Alex Brown. I actually live in Rockford, Ill about an hour away from Chicago so even though I don’t care for the Bears much I know the roster descent enough and he would be a fine addition for our D-line. If you read his parting letter to the Bears you could safely assume that he is a class act as well.

25. By fitzis11red on Apr 2, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I would like to just comment that I believe John Lott is just as much a huge reason for our recent success as any other. I am extatic that he is with the Cards. Not only his he good at what he does but his personality is very charismatic. I love watching him on NFL network during the combine. I am sure he could be a huge reason for the massive turn-outs. Happy Easter.

26. By Voice of Reason on Apr 2, 2010 | Reply

Oh my goodness — a benching contest between Paulie Pigskin and Darren Urban. Let’s add Jurecki to the mix too.

Now what weight to we put on? Darren, any thoughts???
    :-)

27. By chad d. on Apr 2, 2010 | Reply

TucsonTim; you honestly think mc-whatever his name is still has six years left? I give it two, TOPS. and the hall of fame refrence, we’ll just pretend like you didn’t even say it, because non cards fans would even say warner is and mcnabb is not.

28. By chris freeman on Apr 2, 2010 | Reply

Yeah Arena football anew … looking at a couple of these players tonight on the NFL network game look NFL ready. like Mccown from iowa , guys everywhere

29. By cody on Apr 3, 2010 | Reply

why dont people get the message that Donovan Mcnabb is almost certainly not going to the Cardinals this year??? And Tucson Tim, how many rings does Donovan Mcnabb have??? Whats his record in the playoffs??? How many times has he won MVP??? how many records does he hold??? Mcnabb is a great qb, Warner is a legend. do some research before spouting off nonsense like Mcnabbs better than Warner, id take a future HOFer who turned around 2 franchises with a history of losing than a good but inconsistent whos biggest accomplishment is making it to the nfc championship a lot. and also, you say Warners not HOF material??? hes broken records, won a super bowl, had a great career, was a great leader and a better person, soo tell me how exactly is he not HOF material???

30. By Scott H on Apr 3, 2010 | Reply

TusconTim –
    After reading your last post, all I can say is – blogging and drinking really do not mix! C’mon man…both sides of your premise are hard to swallow. Warner not in the HOF? McNabb in the HOF? First, McNabb’s career is still going on so let’s let it play out. If his career ended today…I think he’d be a stretch for the hall of fame. No Super Bowl wins? Four losses in 5 NFC Title games? Closer to 30,000 yards than 40,000? May be the only QB in in NFL history to have vomitted during a SB? He doesn’t get my vote. But in a few years, who knows? But Warner? I don’t know what you’re not seeing, but there’s NO WAY he doesn’t get in. He’s won a SB, been a SB MVP, been a league MVP, is one of only 2 QB’s in NFL history to take 2 teams to a SB…and how’s this for a kicker – he’s been to 3 SB’s and owns the top 3 passing performances in SB history. We could debate this until the end of time but it would be a waste of time. When his time for eligibility comes, Warner is in. Period. By the way, when McNabb’s caree is done, he will have played more ( maybe SEVERAL more ) seasons than Warner and will probably have accomplished not nearly as much.

31. By ALarson on Apr 4, 2010 | Reply

Can we all leave this McNabb thing alone already? We have 2 good QB’s in AZ right now… Let’s give Matty his year to shine, and if he doesn’t well then we could welcome McNabb as a UFA in 2011.

What I wanna know from all the bloggers is, who do y’all think the CARDS should draft as a #3 QB and in what round do we get him?

32. By cards62 on Apr 4, 2010 | Reply

To A. Larson

I agree with you that this should be Matt’s team in 2010, and for this reason I do not want us wasting a draft pick on a QB in 2010. Maybe bring in a rookie free agent. This is a weak class for QBs and besides like you I am hoping Matt Leinart shines brightly this season making a rookie qb pick a waste with Derek Anderson as backup. If Leinart fails this year then we go after McNabb or someone else next year and spend a first or second pick in 2011 or 2012 on a QB for the futue. This is how I hope the Cardinals proceed.

33. By Scott H on Apr 4, 2010 | Reply

To those sick of hearing about McNabb, hey, I’m with you. My last post was more about supporting Warner for the HOF than anything else. I’m all in with Leinart and I hope some day we will speak of him as fondly as we do of…um, that guy who recently wore #13! I will speak only of Leinart from here on out! in regard to the #3 QB and who that should be…sorry if I missed whatever happened, but is Brian St Pierre no longer with us? Honestly, here is a thought / fantasy that I have entertained in regard to the QB situation – we give Leinart this season to show if he is the guy for this team or not. And, really, I DO hope he is. BUT if it doesn’t work out…we go after Matt Schaub as a FA in 2011. And we try to get his buddy Owen Daniels, too!

2. Jun 30, 2011: Word From the Birds BlogPeterson gets the weighty message «