Whiz talks volunteers, Porter, McNabb

Posted by Darren Urban on April 1, 2010 – 11:48 am

Coach Ken Whisenhunt just met briefly with the media on few subjects.

– On the impressive attendance at voluntary workouts: “Everyone is accounted for. There are a couple of guys that aren’t here that called us — which they aren’t required to do, obviously, but they thought enough of the team to call to say they had other commitments. For instance, Larry (Fitzgerald) is in India doing some charity things and he will be back next week. Everybody that is on the team now is accounted for and is either here or is going to be here. That is exciting, to have that many guys working.”

For the record (since I mentioned the players the other day), defensive tackle Alan Branch is here today, leaving just Fitz, Darnell Dockett and Anthony Becht as the players who have yet to arrive.

– On both the arrest and subsequent exoneration of linebacker Joey Porter: “He immediately called me and told me what was going on, and discussed what happened. I have a history with Joey. I believed what he told me — his side of it — and I felt confident in that. The way it has come out, there was a lot of truth to what Joey said. I think the way he handled it, and we are pleased with how it ended up the way it did … it makes it difficult because of what Joey had to go through, because it was out there. I am glad it was cleared up but Joey did a good job making sure the first thing he did was contact us and give us his side of it and making sure we were comfortable with what he said.”

– On Donovan McNabb and stories he wants to play for the Cards: “As of right now, he is with another football team, so it is not something I can comment on. Obviously you see all the reports in the news media and I have known Donovan from being on the field with him. He’s a good football player and a good person and hopefully things work out for him the way he wants them to.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

74 Responses to “Whiz talks volunteers, Porter, McNabb”

1. By Mcnabb! on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

looks like whiz is leaving the door open for mcnabb ehh??!? lol, this never gets old!

2. By NYCARDSFAN on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Begining of the last paragraph said- On Donovan McNabb and stories he wants to play for the cards”….then last sentence which is a reply by Whiz “hopefully things will work out for him the way he wants them to.” Now is that a little hint of possible things to come? Sorry Darren, I know your about sick of answering questions about McNabb, but that last paragraph intrigues me, and you started it. Anything behind that. My opinion…I hope not. We dont need him. If leinart hast learned anything from Warner, then he certainly wont learn anything from McNabb. I dont think McNabb is even the quarterback that he was in 2008, and it seems to me that his accuracy leaves much to be desired.

3. By TucsonTim on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

“He’s a good football player and a good person and hopefully things work out for him the way he wants them to”

Well I had completely given up on McNabb coming to AZ until I read that.

4. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

NYCards —

Now now, I started nothing. I simply transcribed a quote.

5. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Tucson —

And in all honesty, I know how it sounds but I do not think Whisenhunt meant it that way.

6. By Wampag on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

D seriously look at the way he said it…he did it on purppose he mioght be playing his own little joke but we’ve and especially you’ve read his press statements before there never that open ended huh?

7. By Chris on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

You guys and your wishful thinking. Think about it this way.. if Leinart doesn’t pan out, he’s more than likely gone as he stands to make a sizable amount of money in 2011 and he’d be seeing way more than most backup QB’s should. You wouldn’t possibly even see McNabb in AZ unless he gets traded, does not sign an extension, and then comes to Arizona for the 2011-2012 Season. That would also be assuming that Derek Anderson does not work out nor any other QB that we possibly grab before this season starts.

When you lay it all out, there are a lot of what if’s and possibilities.. I wouldn’t get too excited just yet.

8. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

I suppose that’s possible.

9. By MIke Ellingboe on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Putting 2 & 2 and getting 5. Nothing Whisenhunt said indicates that McNabb is coming here. They didn’t sign Anderson to be our third-string QB.

Let it go.

10. By JOEYPORTER on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

I hope Donovan gets what he wants too.. Sooner than later.Bring Old Man Mcnabb home to the desert!

It says on yahoo the cop who arrested Joey has a pending DUI. Gotta love those drunk cops. Joey Porter is the man. The drunk cop probably was just looking for someone to feel up.

America The Beautiful

11. By Walter on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Maybe Whiz is saying he hopes McNabb can stay with Philly, you know, like McNabb said he wanted to do from the beginning of the rumors. I mean, they’re finally putting some weapons on that offense again, now they want to trade the key cog? I would want to stay too. lol I don’t know what Donovan was thinking with all that winning stuff he did, that front office and the people of Philly sure are fed up with it apparentley. lol

Hey Darren, if he does in fact get traded to Oakland, do you think JaMarcus Russell will be switched to an offensive lineman?

12. By SeeingRed on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

I know this is off topic and you may have addressed it in earlier blogs but what’s up with Cody Brown?? Guy was a 2nd round pick at a position we clearly need depth. How is his rehab gone? what’s his mentality after having been all but forgotten for a year? I know your prob gonna have a story up eventually but I was just curious.

13. By Joe-B on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Oh God, I hope this doesn’t start up more McNabb to Arizona talk. I’m getting sick of everyone on the forums talking about it.

14. By Billy Thomas on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Where is the blog post with Warner decides to come back to the Cardinals for next year? I expected that to be the big April Fools joke for today!

15. By Cris on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Off topic…What path did you take to become the official Cardinals blogger/columnist?

Kind regards,

Cris

P.S. Sources have the Eagles moving to Arizona while the Cardinals are packing for Philly, except Leinart stays in Phx to QB the Arizona Eagles while McNabb stays in Philly to QB the Philadelphia Cardinals. Any truth to that rumor? =)

16. By Cardinals bandwagon rules on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

SICK APRIL FOOLS JOKE URB!!!!!!! LEAVE MCNABB IN PHILLY

17. By JOEYPORTER on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

I think Whizz did mean it like that. If he was 100% behind his garbage QB’s he may have worded things a little differently…

18. By JOEYPORTER on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

This is the article stating the cop has a pending DUI case.

19. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Walter —

I think JaMarcus, if McNabb goes to Oakland, will be lucky to find an NFL job.

20. By BigRedFan on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

McNabb to Arizona? Whiz wants him to come here?

NOTE THE DATE PEOPLE! ! ! ! ! !

21. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

SeeingRed —

Eventually?

22. By Azsportzfan on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

That makes it sound like they are trying to get McNabb. I smell a trade of Leinart to Seattle. I honestly want to see whar Leinart has.

23. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Billy —

I think it’s safe to say the downside of such a prank — especially on the team website — is not worth a few chuckles.

24. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Cris —

Actually, that trade has as much chance happening as the actual player coming here in a deal.

As for my path, I was the Cards’ beat writer for the East Valley Tribune since 2000 and in 2007, I was enticed in-house. So I’ve covered this team for a long time.

25. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Joey —

I think you need to spend a little time around the facility before you start judging exactly what the coach means.

26. By Scott H on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Don’t make me start swearing again! Nono of this changes things in my mind at all about the whole McNabb thing. I wonder, do people realize that wherever McNabb goes THIS year, he might very well only be there for THIS year? Because after THIS year, he’s a free agent and he can go wherever he wants. A team could trade for him right now and see him walk out the door as soon as free agency starts. The only way that doesn’t happen is if he agrees to a contract extension with the team he’s traded to. And what is THAT going to cost, I wonder??? Would people want to see the Cardinals use the money they could use to re-sign Dockett to get McNabb in a trade instead??? I say no thanks. AND I say keep an eye on what Brett Favre decides to do up in Minnesota, ’cause I think THAT’S the place where McNabb really wants to be. If Favre retires this year ( probably around Labor Day, Knowing him ), the Vikings can trade for McNabb. If Favre plays one more year and retires next, the Vikings can sign him as a FA.

27. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

The Culture of Winning has taken hold and the competition will be more intense. Even though the Cards lost players to retirement and free agency etc. The Starters are set at several positions but the spot light will be on players that have been brought in since the Whiz era began. With an emphasis on keeping and adding players better suited to the 3-4 defense then shifting the offense to focus more on the run game to go with the air attack, this should be a smooth transition back to NFC WEST CHAMPS. GO CARDS!!!!

28. By k. on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

why? *pounds head on keyboard*

29. By JOEYPORTER on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

I know you are the moderator here. From watching you in interviews I think you know Lienert is a bum too.. I’m just throwing out some extremist views in the other direction because if all we have is the Lienert guys and the “lets all get along guys”, we will end up like the Buffalo Bills. When I see a bum player I call him a bum.

Lienert also has all the hot tub girls on here commenting. Just because he is a beautiful doesn’t make him a good QB. Therefore I have to shut down their views too.

I know you probably post on here using another name as a Lienert hater too.

30. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Joey —

Yeah, I am actually “Tyman.”

I have no issue with criticism (I do have issue with spelling — it’s “Leinart” and I’d really appreciate it if the real “Tyman” and others composed more clean comments) but I’m trying to figure out why it all has to be black and white. Those that claim Whisenhunt doesn’t like Leinart and is convinced he can’t play are foolish, and I base this on one simple truth — if Whiz were that convinced, there is ZERO chance Leinart would have a shot at being the starter. Period. And don’t say “ownership is making him” or some such nonsense. Whisenhunt just signed a huge extension. He’s got the power to decide on his quarterback.

That said, I’m not high on anyone saying Leinart is a sure thing. That’s impossible to know. Ultimately, it’s pointless to argue it now (although it does drive the blog, right?) because there is no accountability for whomever is arguing when it’s over. If the pro-Leinart debaters are wrong, it’s not like they are going to lose their jobs or have their season tickets revoked. And if you are wrong, nothing is going to happen to you either.

In the end, I don’t mind spirited back-and-forths. But I have to say everybody better play (relatively) nice. I hate not approving a comment. But that doesn’t mean I won’t.

31. By Cory on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

What is killing me is that everyone is focusing on McNabb, when the biggest story for real Cardinals fans is the high attendance at the workouts. We would not be seeing this pre-season effort if our fellas did not believe in the coaches, the system and their chances for next year. I am most encouraged, not by trades, signings or how we have finished these last two years- it is the culture that now exists at our facility and among the guys that we should be cheering. Compared with that, the McNabb stuff is just barely a blip on the radar.

32. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Cory —

McNabb-type stuff is always more sexy to talk about. I get that. I do agree, though, it’s amazing to see where the culture of the team is these days compared to when I first started covering the franchise.

33. By Darthcard on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Idk to me it sounded like a respectful comment about mcnabb. Mcnabb should be respected. It’s a shame this is happening with the eagles. The eagles will know what they’ve lost when he’s gone I guarantee that. If nothing else I hope mcnabb knows we cardinal fans respect him and would love him to play here. On the other hand Matt deserves his chance succeed or fail he deserves a chance.

34. By 949cardsfan on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

MATT LEINART IS YOUR STARTING QB IN 2010. Thaaanks Darren, hahaha. You just stoked the fire, now we got at least another week of Mcnabb paranoia.

35. By Issac on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

I believe in our QB….Leinart shall prevail!

36. By fitzis11red on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

If this Franchise is smart and we know they are…C’mon…they see what thier own QB has in 2010. While keeping a birds eye view on Mcnabb ( like the pun? ). lol. If they are not satisfied then they evaluate MCNABB’s 2010 season wherever he plays to see if HE still has anything left in the tank and then they decide wether or not to pursue him in free agency in 2011. Now, I don’t want McNabb at all. My personal opinion. But if they were to get him for the the 2010 season that would just be rediculous. We say the same things over and over again on this subject. Just in different words. Cracks me up!! lol.

37. By Thomas77 on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you too, Cory. I was thinking pretty much the same thing. The culture here has really changed. I remember I used to think that the Cardinals were a team where NFL coaching careers died, old players retired when they had nothing left to give another team, and where talent was drafted but never developed until they were traded. Players like Thomas Jones and Garrison Hearst didn’t realize they’re NFL star quality until after they left the Cardinals. But now, rather than a graveyard, Arizona seems to be like a birthing house. Seriously, other teams seem to be eyeing the Cardinals for talent; both player and coach-wise. We’ve picked up some low key players but have turned them into some pretty decent names (Hightower and Breaston). Judging by the turnout at the voluntary workouts, the rookies seem to realize that AZ is now the place to be if you want to develop your talent, and skilled veterans seem to be interested, no longer just because of money, but because they realize that AZ can offer them a chance to possibly go out with a bang.

38. By Thomas77 on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Oh, on a side note.

Darren, are you seriously 7′ 4″? Or is that a sly attempt at an April’s Fool’s joke?

39. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Thomas77 —

Thomas —

Uh, no. I’m not 7-4 (or 7-6, as I put in the comment). And it wasn’t a sly attempt at anything but sarcasm after Skiptim decided to make some crack about seeing me at a poker game, which I assume was his own joke.

I’m actually 6-3.

40. By I hope McNabb is with the Cardinals on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

do you think donovan can still go to the cards??

41. By Thomas77 on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Well I’d always imagined Wolfley sorta beastly, and based on that Cardinals Underground photo, you do tower over him….

42. By John on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

I get why McNabb to Az is circling.

What I dont get is why there are no McNabb to San Francisco? With no “real” QB, and two first round picks, why not give up a second to land him if you are SF ? The 49ers are close. With Crabtree and V. Davis along with their running game, it seems they are a QB away from competing with us. Am I the only one who sees that ?

My other thought, since McNabb is apparently on his way out of Philly, why does anyone give up a 2? Much the same as Boldin, the Eagles really dont hold the cards (no pun) on this deal. I wonder what others may actually be offering ? And yes. McNabb will draw intrest.

Just a couple thoughts on the idea. Oh , and guys , if the unlikely trade for McNabb happens, Leinart will be moved. Anderson would not be a 3.

43. By Chad Anderson on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

I think the smartest pick is NT or OT in the first and secound rounds. I like a few guys
    NT’s Dan Williams or Terrence Cody
    OT’s Bruce Campbell, Trent Williams and Anthony Davis, really any of the top 5 OT are bad As.s!
    2nd Round
    NT Cam Thomas
    OT Charles Brown
    I dont think we should draft 2 OLB’s in the 3rd round.
    what do you think of it going down like this?

44. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

April 1, 2010
    By Clark Judge
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Regarding McNabb

The Eagles have fielded offers that include draft picks, players and combinations of draft picks and players but have failed to act. Sources said the team remains interested in acquiring a first-round pick in return, but no one I spoke to was willing to offer one this year or in 2011. Furthermore, no one indicated knowledge of anyone willing to make that deal.

“You’re talking about paying a first-rounder AND paying McNabb $13 million.” The next club that hires McNabb — should he be dealt — not only assumes his current contract but would have to enter into a long-term extension…

“My understanding is that Philadelphia is talking to a lot of teams,” said one coach. “They told us that virtually anyone on their roster was available, but once you start talking to them you realize how difficult it is to make a deal because they want so much. All they want to do is win the deal.”

My question how much do the Cards lose to get McNabb?

As far as Seattle and Coach Carroll:

Seattle CBSsports.com

Coach Carroll called Hasselback the guy but said his newly aquired QB Charlie Whitehurst was “light on his feet”, “great deep ball thrower,” and was grateful for Whitehurst’s involvement in Norv Turners offense for 3 years.”

Carroll must have been refering to recent workouts or preseason efforts by Whitehurst b/c other than Clemson CW has no stats in 5 NFL seasons.

Hey anything is possible but it makes sense for the Cards to allow MattL (whom I must add was the starter for Whiz before he got hurt, knows the system and is under contract) the chance to prove he can keep this team moving forward. Plus the Cards brought in Derek Anderson a proven NFL QB (Pro Bowl 2007).

The Draft is coming so we will know before the end of the month.

45. By Tyman on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren Im not a fantasy football guy at all just so you know, just a die hard fan. Anyways Ive been playing madden football quite a bit. I desided to set up a Season with all the teams set how they are right now after all the moves. With ML we went 5-11 through the simulation. So then I switched it up and traded my first 2end and 3ed for mcnabb and we won the Super Bowl. What more proof can you have than that, that we need Mcnabb. And another thing is its way better to have a QB that can move in Madden and ML being a lefty just messes everything up. Maybe ask the players who they would rather play with in Madden.

46. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Tyman —

You need to quit while you’re ahead. You start pointing to Madden simulations as “proof,” you’re losing ground with me, not gaining.

47. By Tyman on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

LOL, just thought it was a funny comment darren. Want to see how people would react to that one. By the way Jamie Dukes said on NFL total Access that the Cards would jump on Mcnabb. Dont know how much faith I would put in hem but he has been talking to the QB coach here and Whizz. Makes me wonder if backdoor tade talks are in the works. I also hear that Matt will make 14 million next year and can go up even more if he made a pro bowl, as well as the fact that Fitz can negate his contract at the end of this year. Lots of problems there. If Matt starts and cant get fitz the balls, fitz could deside maybe a team like the colts would be a better chance for a super bowl. We all dont want that to happen but who knows. I think the team needs to keep winning and they will do whatever it takes. Whizz is big on doing whatever it takes to improve the situation, and Mcnabb would do just that.

48. By TucsonTim on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

So, all of you fans, would McNabb take the Arizona Cardinals back to the Super Bowl……does Elmer Fudd have trouble with the letter R……..does Charlie Daniels play a mean fiddle…….do the Waltons take entirely too long to say good night.

Nice cover Darren You played your role extremely well

49. By SeeingRed on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

How did I miss that? My bad Darren. Good article.

50. By FightON on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

There seems to be an intellectual vacuum of epic proportions. So much for a persuasive argument built on fact and reasoning. Madden…really?

51. By dylan on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

tyman-

you just shot your self in the foot with the mcnabb argument right there.

lol madden and nfl is not the same at all….. i really cant believe you said that

52. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Tyman —

As I have said a couple times before, I wouldn’t be shocked if the Cards chased McNabb as a free agent. But he is not a free agent, thus, they will not chase him.

53. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Wow not a fantasy football guy yet a video game is “proof”.

Tyman I hope someone will to copy and paste your comment on http://www.NFL.com the Madden NFL fan page and Comedy Central it is priceless!!!!!

54. By Tyman on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

oh and they use madden simulators on TV all the time, its the in thing.

55. By Tyman on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Darren did you not say that porter would not get top pass rusher money, and um I was like yah I would give hem top pass rusher money in a second. Darren Urban can be wrong from time to time. Its a wait and see.

56. By dylan on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

tyman-

if matt goes to the probowl im 100% sure he is getting it to fitz if matt isn getting it to fitz matt and gone and fitz stays and we get a new qb plane and simple

57. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Tyman —

Send me the link where I wrote that, and I’ll give a mea culpa. My guess is you won’t find it, because I never said that.

58. By dylan on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

darren-

you said exact words im pretty sure “porter thinks he is a top pass rusher which most people do so he is going to want top pass rusher money”

59. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Dylan —

That doesn’t ring a bell. Again, I’m looking for a link where I said he wasn’t going to get that money. I might have said he might not get that money, but I’m quite sure I never said he definitely wouldn’t.

60. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Would the real Joey Porter please smack the imposter with a law suit!!!!!! haha

61. By Tyman on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

OK darren fair enough, you said 30 million over four years wouldnt be smart. But we gave him a contract similar figures for three. So im wrong, my bad. Im not going to read though the whole blog to see if you said we wouldnt pay hem that definitely. My bad.

62. By Tyman on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Dylans statement is true about top pass rusher money

63. By Ctownbeatdown on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

We will never trade for mcnabb. Anyone who says otherwise is a bandwagon cardinals fan, or just wants to argue with other people just to see their own print on the cards web site.

64. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

man. I knew this was comming today. I was sayin McNabb to the vikings and favre is retiring as an april fools joke among friends. Then my uncle told me, and this is no joke, he saw McNabb working out at some gym in awatukee or whatever. He said,, hey man, why dont you come throw ball for the cards. donovan smiled and said something like, its not up to me at this point. f n a.

I love lienart though, ya know. I love his white cracker arse.

65. By Cardinals bandwagon rules on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Just gotta say, this is the best offseason on the website yet. Do miss the old format though. URB, OTA’s when and where???

66. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Tyman —

How do you get 17 over three as being similar to 30 over four? Your math is as bad as your spelling.

67. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Bandwagon —

OTAs begin in mid-May, after the minicamp April 30-May 2.

68. By Tyman on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

It can max out at 24 million, thats what I read at least.

69. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Its fun to play Madden. Checkin the Cards roster to make sure I keep it current. Spending 162 million with no cap. If the players in reality were like the players I created on my Super AZ Cards roster the entire NFL would be 99 everything and 7′ tall amazing!!!.

The Dictionary defines:

sim·u·la·tion [sìmmyə láysh'n]
    (plural sim·u·la·tions)
    n

1. reproduction of features of something: the reproduction of the essential features of something, e.g. as an aid to study or training
    2. false appearance: the imitation or feigning of something
    3. fake: an artificial or imitation object

Technology is fan-tastic aint it Tyman.

70. By darrenurban on Apr 1, 2010 | Reply

Tyman —

He’ll never see nearly that much.

71. By Dave on Apr 2, 2010 | Reply

You are the man! I admire your patience.

72. By Ditship on Apr 2, 2010 | Reply

Interesting use of words by Whis at the end there about McNabb.. I’m not going to read into it too much but that’s a pretty open ended statement. I still be McNabb doesn’t end up here though..

73. By Mackey on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

McNabb to the ‘Skins, thank goodness!! Now we can stop all the talk about Donovan to AZ.

2. Apr 2, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com