Comings and goings

Posted by Darren Urban on April 5, 2010 – 9:20 pm

I was out this afternoon, while a couple of guys with Cards’ ties made the news:

– Kicker Neil Rackers signed with the Texans a few days after the Cards decided to go with Jay Feely. Interesting that Rackers is in a spot where he has to win the job. If he would have found a way to stay in Arizona, I am guessing he would have been virtually unchallenged. Now he has to beat out veteran Kris Brown (although after Brown’s tough year, it may not take as much).

– It comes as zero shock, since coach Ken Whisenhunt hinted at as much weeks ago, but Kent Somers talked to Brian St. Pierre and St. Pierre said he expects to come back to the Cards. My guess when the season first ended was that, if Kurt Warner retired, the Cards would have four quarterbacks in camp: Matt Leinart, a veteran free agent (Derek Anderson), St. Pierre and a rookie (maybe drafted, but possibly undrafted). That ideal seems to be falling into place.

Tags: , , ,

44 Responses to “Comings and goings”

1. By BH on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

Aw man. no mcnabb talk?! im just yanking your chains urban!

2. By bobby62914 on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

Go for Nick Hill!

3. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

Two thoughts outta probably three I had all day- Rackers/ Feely is a tossup- one can shank to the left as well as the other to the right.
    And having St.Bernard back(literally) as a 3rd QB makes the Cards stronger than the Seahawks with Whitehurst as the backup to Hassleback.

4. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 5, 2010 | Reply

I’m glad Rackers went to the Texans. Out of our conference. I really see Lienart steppin up and makin a huge splash. I’m excited for it. Fitz is gonna love ebeing the undisputed #1 reciever, I think he will have his best season yet, which is saying a lot.

5. By azcards65 on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

what round might they pick a qb if they do and who might they look at? darren?

6. By JC_AZ on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

IMHO St Pierre is never going to be a factor and only hanging on until the final cuts are made…sort of a Whiz charity case…he is BAD

7. By William on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Do you know what # Feeley will wear?

8. By Paul on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

I must admit, I don’t know what BSP brings to the table but Whiz likes him so that’s the only opinion that counts. I just wish he would stop his public comments about having an open competition at QB. It makes the coaching staff appear unprofessional.

9. By Eric on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Texans can now not count on Rackers at the end of the game.

10. By Nick on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Can’t believe Rackers has to win his job. I would’ve atleast had my visit with the Jets as they have no kicker now. Would’ve been guaranteed a job. Or that just shows confidence in himself, he’ll be fine. He has quallities that are rare in kickers. Just needs to work on accurracy. Maybe they use him for kickoffs only if worse comes to worse.

11. By CardsRep928 on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

I’m thinking we could use Jason Campbell if Leinart does not want to restructure his rookie deal. We have Anderson but why not bring another journeymen QB for our number one spot IF matty doesnt work out or work with the FO

12. By shannon robinson on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

This signing leads me to believe that Kreider and B-Rob will be signed eventually as well. Mr. Graves has been working one contract at a time in a very deliberate manner. So now the Cards can sign a free agent QB like Max Hall or use the sixth round pick for Skelton or Jevan Snead whichever is available that low. The roster looks complete and ready for the draft.

13. By Nick on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Do you think coach whiz would want to bring in bulger over St pierre. Bulger in my view still has something left if he just had pieces around him like we have. I think with Matt Derek and Mark at least one has to step up and take over. You can’t miss on all three of them

14. By Jesus on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

any idea what the contract for Rackers is worth, just want to see if he took less and he was playing the maoney game

15. By NYCARDSFAN on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Ya know what sucks, every time we lose one of our guys, I cant help but to go to the website of the lucky team that signs our stars to see what they are saying about it. I hate to see other teams celebrating our losses. What can you do though. Good luck Neil and thanks for everything you have done for us.

16. By K-DUB on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Do you know if Matt is still doing his MMA training?

17. By Michael Shepp on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Now for something totally different!

Would you PLEASE request to the Cardinals that they add several new downloads to there background choices. Players like Wells, Hightower, DRC, Campbell.

Thanks Darren!!!

18. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

azcards —

I don’t know. It won’t be until the mid-rounds I don’t think. Who? That’s an unknown.

19. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

William —

No. 4. I am updating the roster now.

20. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

Actually, the Jets have already signed Nick Folk. If Rackers had gone there, he was still going to have to win the job. At least in Houston, he has a partial dome situation like Arizona, compared to the elements in New York.

21. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Nick —

In terms of Bulger, he isn’t coming to Arizona.

22. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Jesus —

Reportedly Rackers signed for a little more than $2 million (per season over two years), but only $350,000 is guaranteed.

23. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub —

I don’t know. Right now, Leinart is here at the facility every day.

24. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Michael —

I will pass this along. UPDATE: We will be working on more but we probably won’t have any up until later in the offseason as we try to organize a new design.

25. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Was the whole Rackers situation a result of his agent being upset with the Cards offer? Or was it actually Rackers? Either way Rackers has to be unhappy having to go to humid Houston and now competing for a spot.

26. By Eddie T on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you plan on writing something about potential rookies who are coming to visit the cardinals or have had visits with them?

27. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Eddie —

Unless it’s something mentioned elsewhere, I probably won’t. I’m not told of who is coming in, and truth be told, a) I think the team would rather not have that out there and b) I think it matters little. If there is a good player who didn’t visit available when they pick, it won’t matter that guy didn’t visit.

28. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Sittin —

I don’t know what it came down to. All I know is Rackers and the Cards never agreed on a contract, and it cost him a chance to stay.

29. By Steve on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Anyone else watch the NFL Films Look at Cards 2010 opponets?

The 1st segment with the Niners shows Rolle getting demolished by Gore like 5 times. Bad angles, bad form and lines…..Rhodes I hope you can takle!!

30. By calvin on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Any news with any more free agents coming in to visit (possibly players who got released recently)?? Or are we done until the draft?

I second what steve said, Rolle missed like 10 tackles in that video, good luck Rhodes!!! :)

31. By knight on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Nick Hill was outstanding for SIU

32. By knight on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

he would make a great option at QB he is big and strong, his senior year at SIU in the semi final game he lost to a certain guy by the name of Joe Flacco, even though i am a saluki fan. i strongly belive that nick hill had the better game.

33. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Calvin —

I don’t expect any more outside free agents before the draft.

34. By iNTENs on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Any chance we draft Dez Bryant if he is still available at our pick spot?

35. By K-DUB on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Did Porter get the jersey number squared away? Or are we looking at a situation were he becomes obessesed with it? Porter has that # tattooed on him doesn’t he?

36. By Flood on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Does anyone realize that Rackers first game in a Texans uni will be against us in AZ? Maybe he can hit a game winner in preseason. It would be nice, it won’t count and maybe it will get him on track for a good year. I will miss him. Go Feely!

37. By Arizona Cardinals on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren

If Clausen falls to 26 when the Cards are on the clock, do you think they will take him or pick a defensive player or O-Line?

38. By luke on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

we shoulda kept palko instead of st pierre.why does whiz like him so much?he plays like a scared rabbit.

39. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

iNTENs —

I would doubt it.

40. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

K-Dub —

I am guessing Porter will be 55, but it is not official yet.

41. By cj on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

look at uni pat grace

42. By Brian R. on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

luke made a good point. Tyler Palko was really not that bad. St. Pierre is horrible.

43. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Arizona Cardinals —

That’s a great question. I’m not sure.

44. By Eazy E on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

JIMMY CLAUSEN!! Get him if he starts falling! BPA at 26 no question.