From Money Mike to Coach Adams?

Posted by Darren Urban on April 6, 2010 – 3:55 pm

The scene was straight out of something coach Ken Whisenhunt likely would have drawn up himself: Cornerback Michael Adams, on the practice fields after Tuesday’s workout, doing some extra agility work. He wasn’t alone, joined by second-year defensive backs Greg Toler and Rashad Johnson, as well as new linebacker Stevie Baggs.

And Adams was coaching them.

Not a lot. He was showing Baggs what drills to do and, perhaps more importantly, why the players should do them. It’s a part of the NFL offseason Baggs hasn’t been through, and neither have Toler and Johnson — both of whom were waiting to be drafted at this time last year. “I’m just trying to be a good teammate,” Adams said.”If I get better and the people around me get better, then the team gets better. That’s all.”

Adams said he has always planned on becoming a coach when his playing days are over, eventually finding leading what he promises will be “the best high school team out there.” For now, he’s sticking to the NFL, working off the precedent set by former teammate Ralph Brown, who was known for taking younger players under his wing. Now, Adams pays it forward.

“Ralph always would explain why were were doing it,” Adams said. “If I can learn something from Ralph, someone can learn something from me, that person can teach someone else, it’s an ongoing cycle and we keep getting pretty good players.”

Tags: , , ,

53 Responses to “From Money Mike to Coach Adams?”

1. By 1987phoenixcardsfan on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

This is the last player who should be teaching……but I guess like the old saying goes, those who can do and those who can’t teach =)

2. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

1987 —

Because why, because he’s not as physically gifted as DRC?

3. By MikeFlorio on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Really 1987, I thought I was bad. Adams has prove though undersized that he has made it to the NFL. NFL is the pinnacle of talent. Adams got burned a few times last year. But, he is also one of the reasons that we lost in the divisonal game and not the wildcard. I would be alarmed if it were you out there teaching first year players elite player drills. Adams is a true warrior, regardless of a few mistakes, this all goes back to the leadership and mentality that has changed since 1987, maybe its time you changed aswell. Or go sit in a hottub time machine and go back to 1987. I seriously doubt you undying commitment to this team since 87′ wasnt that you I saw at sun devil stadium wearing the cowboys jersey back in 93’???

4. By Sue H on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

I love Michael Adams. He’s a great special teams player and if not for his height, I think he’d be a solid corner.

By the way, is it just me or does Greg Toler look like he’s beefed up a little in the off season? Good to see…

5. By Voice of Reason on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

While it is also true that those that do really, really well are often the worst teachers (remember Wayne Gretzky and Magic Johnson as coaches), Adams is a smart player that makes the most of his ability.

No doubt he’ll be a great coach someday soon.

6. By Ditship on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Well.. even if some people don’t appreciate him I for one am happy to have Adams on the Cards. As for the “Old Saying” I’m pretty sure Adams has a contract with the Cardinals to play football and not coach it.. so he is DOING. Something thousands of prospects just hoping to be a UDFAs this coming pre-season won’t be able to say.

7. By LUKE on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

good for him.thats the attitude that pleases.and regarding sue h’s comment,i think he can be a solid corner regardless of height.i think being solid is mostly having an iq for football.good job adams!

8. By Barney on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Greg Toler will be quality this season!

9. By Nick on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Sorry, I’m sure Adams knows what he’s doing and a good teacher, but I’m still not sold on him as a player. In my opinion, he had 2 horrible playoff games. Yes he forced that fumble against GB (could have been a facemask, just saying) but that was after 3 pass interference calls and about 150 yards against him. He’s a player who needs to step up this year. Go Cards!!!

10. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Part of the interwoven themes of successful teams is chemistry. Not the overfizzing test tubes that contain noxious gasses, but an understanding what will have the team win in the long run.
    As Armstrong can attest, sometimes little steps lead to the moon.

11. By Allen c on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

I love mike mike, i rather him teaching corners then the others.

12. By Patrick on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Good stuff. Go Cards.

13. By Paul on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

If the other players call Michael Adams,”Money Mike”. Then that ought to tell you how well liked he is in the locker room. BTW, The Phoenix Cardinals didn’t exist until February 1988 when Mr. B announced the move to Phoenix. I remember because I wore a red sweater to work that day. :-)

14. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Is that Rashaad Johnson not paying attention in the picture?

15. By H on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

“Money” Mike is cat quick and a heck of a football player. The Rams went after him in st. louis and he hung in there. Of course he has limitations. For a guy of his physical attributes to “stick” in the NFL is something special. I give the guy a lot of credit for having a team first mentality – I don’t believe many would have the same attitude. Go Money!!!

16. By 82dAirborne on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Yea him and Rashad both look beastly. I’m hoping for big things from both of them. Toler has a real shot to win the starting job from McMuffin. And RJ was a ball hawk at Alabama if he can perform like it did then it would free up A-Dub to play towards the line and blitz more.

17. By Billy Thomas on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

It’s always nice to see the players working together and getting along. A defense needs to have team chemistry. The corners and safeties need to be able to trust each other so they know that everyone will cover their own assignment, and no one player needs to cover the entire field. Nice work on Mike’s part!

18. By Mandy on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Without that overtime sack, Adams would just be a punching bag of awful comments………………..lol

19. By Dave on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Will the Cards have any interest in Bulger ? In an uncapped year why not, are my thoughts…I mean are you Really confident with the QB’s on this roster NOT to going into next year? This team is built to win now, if not, why not , lets make the QB position one of strength not guess work…

Your thoughts ?

Thx

PS plz get Dockett signed and extended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

It’s that dreamer concept of (if you work hard you can do anything). However when it comes to the NFL the level of talent must be exceptional at every roster spot. If the Cards are saying Adams is that kind of player I have to wonder WHY? I once heard Whiz comment that Adams battles with Fitz and Co. in practice all the time so you would think Adams is getting better. Does this matchup help Fitz, Breaston and Doucet get better? You’ve heard the saying you are only as strong as your weakest link or practice makes you perfect or is it perfect practices, etc. Anyway you see my point.

My concern: Lack of Depth on defense hurt the Cards last year and as I look at some of the names that have been brought back the issue must be revisited.

The good news: There are some solid new names on the roster and the draft is coming and the real coaches will be getting these guys ready.

21. By Ivo Stankiewicz on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren.
    I aways read your posts, and i created a blog with my friend. It doesn’t look like a big deal, despite the fact that we are brazilian. We’ve never been to a football field, but we are crazy about the game, and about the cards. Will be very valueable for us, if you could visit our blog and say something about it.
    Thanks a LOT.

22. By alex u on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

What Patrick said.

23. By dylan on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

i think adams is a good cb yes he is undersized which really screws him over but he plays well and i think can probably be a great db coach

24. By fighting bird on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Mike Adams is playing Pro football ,doing something he loves and for all the people putting Mike down ,what are you doing with your life and where do you work huh. WE DO THIS TOGETHER,remember!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. By Frankie on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

idk it’s good to see but I think DRC should be doing the teaching he is a lockdown corner and even if he can’t teach they should learn a few things by watching him …

26. By fitzis11red on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Michael Adams has a great mentality. It seems to me that the players are really buying in to winning. I don’t recall such enthusiasm from the players in quite sometime. I have a good feeling about 2010.

If I may….

Florio! You had me thinking you could actually be descent. Until you slammed 1987phoenix. Do you think you are the only one who became a cardinals fan the first year? What is your deal dude? That was me in the stands during that comeback against the 49ers in ’88. I was 16. That was me in the south endzone from ’96 to 2000 as a season ticket holder. Row 17. This is me 1800 miles away watching the Cardinals on Sunday Ticket every week. WE DO THIS TOGETHER!! You want to be alone well you are alone brother. For the strong to survive you eliminate the weak. In other words, your posts are ghosts to me now. Have a good day.

27. By Dewitt on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Hi, Darren this is Dewitt. I have written a paper about Mike Adams which is known “‘The Measurment of A Mental Toughness is Beyond Inches”. I would like to give that to Mike. Mike’s a mentanl tougness and determinations are possive examples to overcome natural obstacles. I tried to contact him through the Tempe’s training camp phone number, but I have not been sucessful. If you don’t mind, can you e-mail me you e-mail address. I want to contact to him with your help if it is possible. Thanks.

28. By fitzis11red on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

When Adams struggled the way he did against the Packers and then came up with the fumble…wow, that is what you do. If you are struggling come up with a big play and redeem yourself. I for one like having Adams on this team to help the guys.

29. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Alright. maybe Adams should be doing some Awareness drills while the other guys work on agility. hahahah. Never a fan of this guy. But I like the work ethic.

30. By Chris B on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Darren/ Sue H-
    Which one is Toler? I don’t think any of them look like him… I just can’t tell….

1987- Those who can; do. Those who can’t; teach. Those who are so pathetically lame post stupid comments on the team’s blogs about who should or shouldn’t be doing football related activities. (save your comebacks, I proudly wear that last title, I’m just likable when I do it.)

Adams is a fine player, better than Ralph Brown (Big D- what happened to Brown?). Toler will rise above McFadden and when we draft a pass rusher, our defense WILL BE one of the best in the league. The only reason our secondary got burned so much was because we couldn’t get to the QB in under 3 seconds. This year, that will change.

31. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Sittin —

That is Rashad, watching players catch passes from Matt Leinart on the same field.

32. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Dave —

My thought is that Bulger is an older version of Anderson — a veteran QB who has struggled the past couple of years. I’m not sure why you need two of those.

33. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Dewitt —

I can be reached at askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net.

34. By darrenurban on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Chris B —

Greg is the one wearing the St. Paul’s t-shirt. Baggs is on the right.

35. By Brandon on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

Greg Toler is going to be a solid corner for us.. Hopefully he pushes Mcfadden this year so he steps his game up and if not Toler can get some quality time. Also speaking of Ralph Brown i always thought he was a quality nickel db, dont know why Cards would keep Adams and not Brown he always was in the right place and had solid coverage out there

36. By C on Apr 6, 2010 | Reply

michael adams is a stud he gives the shorter players like me hope. if he had a couple more inches he would no doubt be a probowler but then he probly would never came to the cardinals then either. and 1987 dont be a dick, ya he gave up big plays but what do you expect him to do? the opposing teams (especially green bay) constantly pick on him because of his size. theres nothing you can do when they throw the ball out of your reach, i mean its not like he let guys behind him, they just caught it over him. i give him credit for not letting the size intimidate him hes scared to make a hit.

37. By mark on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

i saw Michael Adams play in last year preseason and thought he played great. He played good at times in the regular season in limited time. He didnt play that well in the playoffs but made that great play in the Greenbay game. We all have to remember that the whole secondary struggled in the playoffs except maybe Greg Toler which is encouraging. I really was down on Mcfadden at the end of the year because he was supposed to replace and be an upgrade over Rodderick Hood and he didnt live up to the money he was given, and Hood went to Tennesse and did really well (Three picks in limited time). But when you see guys like Mcfadden, Adams Toler and Johnson all taking part in the OTA’s trying to get better, you got to give these guys the benefit of the doubt they will step it up next year.

38. By Shannon Robinson on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

One of the greatest cornerbacks to ever play the game was Cards’ Pat Fisher who was 5’9″ barely, regardless of what the program said.

39. By fighting bird on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

Good job Fitzis11red you took the words right out of my mouth,thanks.WE DO THIS TOGETHER.!!!!!

40. By cb on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

I swear this comment section must be full of Money Mike’s relatives, 1987 is spot on, even though he was making a joke. Adams got toasted far too often last year. I like his attitude and the way he kept responding, but he isn’t a good corner. I’ll give him credit, he’s pretty solid in run support though.

Rashad always looks a bit on the pudgy side, is he rolling into camp out of shape or is it an optical illusion? I still have faith in him, he just needs to keep working.

There should be an open CB competition opposite DRC, one I think Toler can win.

41. By Wampag on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

With each new year of Whiz’s tenure as coach I have noticed that the more I read about the players he brings into the locker room the happier I get. These guys are dedicated and they seem to get the idea they are a team and it takes a team to win. Graves’s best decision has got to be Whiz and Russ I know we locked up Whiz I just hope Russ stays too. As much as I love Q and Rolle I get the feeling they might have been the last hold outs to the thought process Whiz is creating(I truly believe ML has turned a corner with this coach and gets it now). as much as I love Q it has never set with me his walking off the fiield at the Champ game. It’s fun to speculate, its fun to blog back and forth about ML’s chances….but seriously Whiz and Russ has really put something together here a team that really gets it…..GO CARDS

42. By 98CardsFan on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Every year it seems like everyone in the league wears their throwbacks at one time or another. My question is, will the cards to that this season? Or do you believe they are done with that “era” for good? I’ve been a little nostalgic with their white tops/red pants and so miss the state flag displayed on their sleeve. Again, what are the chances they do that this year?

43. By 98CardsFan on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

Once again it would show the entire league how they are winners now, no matter what their uniform is and break the perception that they are on the decline again. With the talent they have at the playmaker positions I just don’t see that happening. Thanks.

44. By darrenurban on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

98Cards —

The Cardinals will not be wearing throwbacks this season.

45. By Todd on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

Adams deficiences are not mental, they are physical due mainly to his size. On plays where size doesn’t matter, Adams is always there, like being the first to down punts. He also was a playmaker at times when the team needed it with the sack fumble on Rodgers. Adams would probably make a great coach because he certainly didn’t make it in the NFL on his physical abilities. He made it on knowledge and heart.

46. By 949cardsfan on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

Depth on D is still the weakness of this team. at least 6 picks in the draft better be on D.

47. By fitzis11red on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

Nobody could have said it better Wampag!! Whiz also has nine years played in the NFL and he turned out to be a heck of a coach. No comparison to Adams. Just saying.

48. By fitzis11red on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

oh yeah duh! Not to mention Russ’ playing days. I see a pattern here. Russ, and I believe whiz as well, are affiliated with Joe Gibbs. Hmmmm.

49. By Ctownbeatdown on Apr 7, 2010 | Reply

I think Adams is the perfect guy to be teaching these guys. Unlike DRC who relies too much on his natural talent.

50. By SmoothCardGa on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

This off topic but we must lead the NFL in players with Dreadlocks now right Darren?

Anyways I like Adams willingness to make tackles ing run support and he does an okay job in coverage when he’s not facing huge WRs. He did struggle in the playoffs but I’d still like him to be on this team, He’s a great special teams player and still solid depth…

51. By cards62 on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Mike Adams the person and his work ethic I admire greatly. There are also many other people I admire with a great work ethic, but I do not want to watch them play CB for the Cardinals either I hope Mike Adams is a great coach, but he is a horrible horrible CB. Someone said Pat Fischer was very short true, but he could play the position. If Mike Adams is in our backfield again this season on any plays it will mean our defensive backfield has major issues once again. Before you say anything go watch his play last year in our backfield and then talk to me, but not before. Good guy, quality guy, not a DB.
    Go Cards and go Matt Leinart!

52. By Toni Lee on May 1, 2010 | Reply

For all you football experts How many touch downs have you seen mike adams give up? How many plays have you seen mike adams make? I can recall one touchdown last season. I can also recall an interception and also a sack fumble that resulted in a touchdown. Yes he had a few penalties but the question is when he came in the game at any point during the season can you name one time he was truly a liability? Be specific. If you say green bay go back and look at the game. Watch every touchdown or long pass and see if it was his man that caught it or someone else? Then you say there is no secondary depth? Look at every NFL Team none of the back ups are pro bowl corners just like the starters. what are you looking for 5 DRC’s. Adams has been with the same team for 3 years going on 4 how is that? Because he has made plays every time he has played. So before you say anything about him come with some facts not dumb none football related opinions! I HATE FANS and BLOGGERS that dont know the sport or the facts about people!

2. Apr 7, 2010: Around the NFC West: Advice for Rams