From Wildcat to Sun Devil the Wright way

Posted by Darren Urban on April 8, 2010 – 10:58 am

Sporting a Sun Devil golf shirt certainly seems odd for a Wildcat, as anyone who knows anything about this state understands, but Jason Wright has good reason. To begin with, the running back isn’t a local Wildcat – he attended Northwestern, not the University of Arizona.

Secondly, it’s his job.

Most days, Wright shows up at the Cardinals’ Tempe facility early – 7-ish – so he can get in his offseason workout day before he heads for a 9-to-5. The internship is at Arizona State, working with the Sun Devil Club – the fund that pays for scholarships and other costs for athletes. His compensation? Experience, because there is no paycheck. “Straight free,” Wright said with a grin.

His tenure runs through June, basically up until the end of the Cardinals’ workouts, so Wright can have some downtime before training camp. But he felt he needed to explore some post-football possibilities. “It’s made me realize the real world is not as green as you think it is,” Wright said. “This football gig is a pretty good gig. It’s been a good eye opener. It helps to make life post-football not be such a big mystery.”

Wright has considered attending an NFL program at a high-brow business school – like the Harvard course teammate Calais Campbell took part in last summer – but he is definitely trying to set himself up for the future. Wright said former Browns teammate Jamal Lewis used to joke all the time he didn’t care if he was cut because he was making more money outside of football, and Wright acknowledged, “that’s the place you want to be.”

“Unless you are making Larry (Fitzgerald) or Kurt (Warner) money, you don’t make enough money where you can just sit on it and collect interest the rest of your life,” Wright said, adding with a laugh that having “NFL” on the resume is a huge boost. “Whether it’s true or not, they think the NFL means you’ve got work ethic and all this stuff.”

Even if it means going from Wildcat to Sun Devil.

“I wanted to go to Stanford coming out of high school and they didn’t want me,” Wright said. “Cal didn’t want me. So I’ll take ASU.”

Tags: ,

32 Responses to “From Wildcat to Sun Devil the Wright way”

1. By MikeFlorio on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

This is pretty insightful. I watched a special about what players in the 70’s and 80’s, got paid compared to what they get paid now. I couldnt believe it, William Perry (A.K.A The Fridge) is a block mason now working construction. It was like that with Bernie Kosar and Beanie Blade too. As soon as there football career ended it was like the had no education to fall back on. No amount of money unless your as air tight as the Bidwells will allow you to idle the rest of your life. Living is expensive. Good for Wright, I hope he makes the 53 man roster and takes a kick off back to the house this year.
    Speaking of Wildcat Urb, with no Rolle or Boldin to run Pahokee are the Cardinals gonna have a wildcat package this year? Ur thoughts?

2. By Wampag on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

I tell you I really like the attitude being built wirthin and outside the team

3. By darrenurban on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

MikeFlorio (and you really need a better handle) —

I would guess it’ll still be there, but I’m not sure right now who would run it. Who knows, maybe that guy will be drafted.

4. By Dan on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, Mike Florio is definately a hack and kind of a douche. I woouldn’t want to be associated with that guy.

5. By kyle on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

darren, are the cardinals not having any visits with draft prospects, or is it just not being reported?

6. By darrenurban on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Kyle —

I am sure they are talking to some guys. It’s just not reported.

7. By darrenurban on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Dan —

Well, I wasn’t saying that.

8. By MikeFlorio on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

HAHAHA Nice I like using Mike Florio cause if anyone is familar with him, he is constantly dogging the Cards and the organization. It funny to write as if i were him to get some of the fans ruffled feathers. As for him could care less he is a douche. I dont like him myself.

9. By carlo7000 on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

darren
    the reason are not reported visits with draft prospects here in arizona is just a strategy because they dont want to show to the other teams in which players are interested

10. By darrenurban on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Carlo —

Oh, I’m well aware the reasons why.

11. By 949cardsfan on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Carlo-

u ever heard of MOO? Master Of the Obvious

12. By Scott H on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Well, since there is no official blog for this topic yet, let me be the first to say how great it is to hear that Mr Fitzgerald is back in town! With all that has gone down ( or, just plain gone! ) this off-season, it does my heart good just to picture # 11 back on the field, back in the weight room, wherever. Can’t wait to see those dreads flying high again! With all of the new faces that we can’t be sure of at this point, Fitzgerald’s excellence is a great thing to know we DON’T have to worry about.

13. By Kalib on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

This is completely off topic, but can you tell me where I can watch Kurt Warner’s retirement speech in its entirety?? I’ve literally tried to find it everywhere and can’t. Just a link or some kind of a tip would be helpful. I really appreciate it and I know you probably get this alot, but we really appreciate your insightful commentary and news alerts. Seriously its impressive and very much valued.

14. By Lone-Eagle on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

I heard a rumor that the Cards might be interested in signing Marc Bulger!! What is up with that?? Does anyone really think that just because he took over for Warner in St Louis, that he can come in and take over the starting job!! That is a joke. We need to go with what we have and draft a gem in the late rounds, who knows, maybe another Tom Brady.

15. By darrenurban on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Lone —

Bulger is not coming to Arizona.

16. By darrenurban on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Kalib —

Let me see what I can find.

17. By Kalib on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren much appreciated.

18. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

For the Florio chick, the “Pahokee/Wildcat” player would probably be Steve Breaston, he was the 2001 Gatorade Pennslyvania at QB.
    As for Wright, he might want to think about his post-NFL career. The guy’s as smart as a lick, but LaRuSH(not Hyphen) is going to beat him out as the third down back.

19. By cahongisto on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

what are the chances the cardinals resign dockett this off season? and in your opinion can you give me 4 names for our first four picks that youd like to see… just curious what your biased to

20. By alex u on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Darren three questions , do you know how the Kareem Jackson visit went? And could you see the Cards trading there 2nd and one of the 3rd’s for a 1st rounder? And finally, you think the Cards could go after NT Ryan Pickett from the Packers? Because there is not a deep class of NT’s in the draft and the packers drafted NT Raji 9th overall last year.

21. By alex u on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Oh nvm didn’t know Pickett signed a long-term deal with the packers.

22. By darrenurban on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Cahong —

Strictly a guess, but I am thinking likely not, judging by how Adrian Wilson’s extension went down (the offseason before his final year).

As for the picks, I don’t care. I’m not a scout so I can’t pretend to know the best players. I trust Steve Keim and Co. That sounds like the party line, but truthfully, that’s how I think. Even when I was in the newspaper biz, I was a wait-and-see guy when it came to the draft.

23. By darrenurban on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Alex —

I have no idea how any of the visits went. As for a trade into the first round, I would doubt it. It’s a deep draft and the Cards need depth.

24. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Ah Darren., u truely are a wait and see kinda guy. I read all these blogs waiting for someone to word trick you into a prediction of some kind. hahhaha. I love it. here is my latest attempt with 3 questions….

#1. What do you predict the Cards W-L to be next year?
    I say we have a solid chance at 11-5, even 12-4.
    #2. Who have you heard good things about as far as a
    late round draft pick? like say.. #26?
    #3. Do you think we can win the NFC West title?

25. By Tbru on Apr 8, 2010 | Reply

Who is Mike Florio?

26. By darrenurban on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

DRC —

1. You’re not getting me on the W-L. Besides, way too early to guess. Who knows what happens between now and when the games count for real?
    2. Again, I think the Cards have set themselves up in a position where they aren’t forced to take a particular position in the first round. I have said I think it will be on the defensive side of the ball, and that probably won’t change.
    3. Of course they can. Their defense has to jell and Leinart must play the way I believe he is capable. But the Cardinals should be in the race and are the champs until someone knocks them off.

27. By darrenurban on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

Tbru —

If you are asking who the real Florio is, he runs profootballtalk.com.

28. By D D on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

first of all id like to say i think you have the best job in the world. now i know this has nothing to do with a topic, but i was at the cardinal titan game this past year and seen family of drc. all of them were wearing a black under armor drc jersey. it was sweet! any idea where i might find one? also, how do you think our secondary fairs among the rest of the leage?

29. By darrenurban on Apr 9, 2010 | Reply

DD —

Since DRC has an Under Armour contract, I would guess the company probably made those up for him. I guess you could contact them and ask. As for the secondary, I think the Cards can be pretty good, assuming the pass rush is steady.

30. By Tbru on Apr 10, 2010 | Reply

f you are asking who the real Florio is, he runs profootballtalk.com.

31. By D D on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

thanks darren. speaking of pass rush, does cc have the talent to improve on what he accomplished last year?

32. By darrenurban on Apr 12, 2010 | Reply

DD —

I think he has both the talent and the drive. As a 3-4 DE, I don’t see him getting 15 sacks a year, but I think Campbell is going to be very good.