Some Tuesday thoughts

Posted by Darren Urban on April 13, 2010 – 12:46 pm

It feels like the calm before the storm. The Cardinals’ braintrust — general manager Rod Graves, head coach Ken Whisenhunt, the rest of the coaching staff and the scouts — continue their work building the draft board here at the end of the hall in the war room. Workouts continue downstairs (one co-worker remarked how amazing the consistent turnout of players was for the voluntary stuff, noting how dead the weight room was back in the Denny Green days). With that as a backdrop, a couple of brief talking points:

– The news the Dolphins might trade WR Ted Ginn is intriguing, at least at face value. The Cardinals could always use a dynamic return man (although Ginn hasn’t been a full-time punt returner since his 2007 rookie year) and could use a burner as a fourth receiver. That said, Ginn is due too much money for a fourth wideout (about $1 million in 2010, $1.4 M in 2011 and $1.8 M in 2012). If Santonio Holmes is only worth a fifth-rounder (and yes, he has had off-field troubles which Ginn has not), than the Dolphins can’t possibly ask for more than a sixth-rounder for Ginn.

– I don’t know if Stevie Baggs will pan out at outside linebacker, but if he sticks around, he certainly has a personality that would make him a fan favorite in my opinion. Even though he came out of college in 2004, he is practice-squad eligible. That could always come into play for a work-in-progress, although if Baggs doesn’t flash something significant in the preseason, it’ll be tough to keep an older player, even on the practice squad.

– More tomorrow, but that live chat I asked about? I am planning on it being Friday, probably late morning.

– I don’t see how Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger doesn’t get suspended a game or two. What will be interesting is whether it comes from the league or the team, and how it impacts (if at all) the opening part of the Steelers’ schedule.

Tags: , , , , ,

63 Responses to “Some Tuesday thoughts”

1. By Alberto on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Getting Ginn jr for a sixth rounder would be such a steal and it would add a much needed punt returner. Whats the deal with Deuce Lutui ? whats his status going to be if he does not sign the tender offer? thank you

2. By sergio on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Why would we ever go after Ted Ginn we got La Rod. At least this is more realistic than what a nfl.com insider had in his mock draft where he had us picking Dez Bryant in the draft… Just silly…

3. By Nick on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Ted Ginn for a 6th rounder? No brainer. 6th rounders usually don’t amount to anything and you know Ginn has return skills and can change a game. His salary is a bit much, but it’s not going to put the franchise under. I’d say do it.

4. By CardsRep928 on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the update D…Would you say this is the absolute slowest part of the Nfl offseason? Deep in free agency and right around the corner from the draft?

5. By Wampag on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

hey D…good news out of seattle Patrick Kerney retiring he terrorized us (not so much last year which I really feel was the big reason we won those games)

6. By Eric on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I know it’s not your department, but do you have any idea when the Cardinals are picking the winners for the “early signing bonus” promotion for season ticket holders? I could sure use another trip to Hawaii.

Thanks

7. By NickSierraVista on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Ginn is a specialist. Return man and get down there on punts to force a fair catch on special teams. Offensively, he’s a long bomb threat IF he can hang on to the ball. I don’t remember any “explosive” slant or screen routes. He could take SOME pressure of Fitz or Breaston on an all go route. Wouldn’t give more than a 5th or 6th rounder and some contract help from the Dolphins.

That’s one thing I hate about trades, you soak up the contract. Oh well. I think the draft has more available than Ginn. I could just be bitter because he did absolutely nothing for me in fantasy last year unless I benched him!

8. By King Diamond on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

OKay Mr. Graves…do your magic…and snag Ted Ginn. He would be a plus to the team…on both special teams and as a fourth receiver….

9. By adam larson on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

ur 4th WR and possibly ur PR for a 6th round pick… i would say pull the trigger! But Jordan Shipley also looks good as a 4thWR and he will prolly be there in the 3rd ( we have 2 picks there) or 4th round.

What do u think bloggers Ginn or Shipley( possibly in 3rd round?)

10. By darrenurban on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Alberto —

Deuce can’t go anywhere unless a team gives him an offer, so I expect eventually, Lutui will sign his tender and report.

11. By Rich on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I keep feeling that Deuce is going to be traded for a draft pick. They slide Hadnot into his spot and Bridges at right tackle with LB moving to the left side. Claxton and Johnson and Keith become the three primary backups. I am suspicious that Deuce has not signed and they got Hadnot. Not sure if there is something afoot, but just wanted to share.
    Rich

12. By darrenurban on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

CardsRep —

Considering how much I am digging for blog topics, I say yes. Although that period after OTAs end before training camp is worse.

13. By darrenurban on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Rich —

Well, FYI Deuce can’t be traded until he signs his tender. We’ll see.

14. By alex u on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I’d rather take Roscoe Parrish for a 6th rounder than Ginn. Parrish was the #2 PR’er, average wise, behind Hester in 07-08 and i think #1 or #2 again in 08-09, his salary is also cheaper, and he’s a legit #4 WR and i think he’s just fine with that role, since he’s been the no.3/no.4 for the bills all his career. And change of subject for a second, Charles Davis from NFL Network is so stupid, “Cardinals need a new FS after losing Rolle, does he know we got Kerry Rhodes or even know anything about him, other then his name? and we need a WR to replace Boldin? Did he watch the playoffs, let alone the Cardinals in general? Just can’t stand him, it’s like he only knows the big name players, i don’t know how he got that job, he also thinks Tebow will go in the first round, to New Orleans, that’s a double N-O, NO. Anyway i still want Parrish, i would be thrilled about a 6th rounder for Parrish, or even Ginn for that matter.

15. By darrenurban on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Eric —

Those winners will be announced soon after the release of the schedule.

16. By Wampag on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

hey D Deuce for Ginn do the dolphins need that postion?

17. By darrenurban on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

That’s too high a price to pay for a guy who could end up being cut by the Dolphins.

18. By cards62 on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I wanted one buckeye holmes so I will take another buckeye Ginn for a late draft pick anyday. This guy can run like the wind. Remember what Hester did for the Bears a few seasons back. Ginn could do for us just returning punts and hopefully kickoffs and if he plays a little receiver all the better. Ginn could definitely help us stretch the field, and Ginn just might wake up at WR along side of fellow big ten receiver Breaston who he was much better than in college. Even if this does not happen just returns and stretching the field for fitz and others will be great for our offense and worth the trade.
    Go Cards!!!

19. By RWD on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Agree with alex u about that nfl network post… Kerry Rhodes deal was already forgotten and did no one on the station remember Early Doucett’s progression through the year? Reminded me that we are still a forgotten team (to the talking heads at least).
    Anyway, Gin for a 6th round pick would be nice, but it seems unlikely to me. I’m not convinced he can handle being forth on the totem pole either but then I don’t follow the Dolphins a ton so I could be wrong.
    I still would like to see us go LB or OL with our first few picks. And do we need to go WR in the first 4 rounds considering we have 3 solid recievers and will probably be more balanced witht he run this year?

20. By John on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Got to agree with Alex U.
    Parrish would be a better pick up than Ginn IMO. He will return punts better and accept the role as a 4th wr.
    As for Shipley, I think the 3rd round is too high for a 4th WR. Shipley is a nice talent and could be a #2 in a year for someone. Not a need for us.

If we dont trade for one of these guys, I still believe there are several CBs in this draft with return skills who give us depth at a more needed area.
    Akwasi Owusu-Ansah would be an excellent pick. I know Dallas had him in and reports are they like him in the 2nd. Big CB with great return skills is a better draft value than Shipley or any other wr in the first 3 rounds.

21. By MikeFlorio on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

DEZ BRYANT !!!!! IS COMING!!!!! FINALLY A TRUE ### 1 RECIEVER!!!!! I HEARD DEZ BRYANT EVEN HAS A DEGREE !!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

22. By Ctownbeatdown on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Dez Bryant=Bust

23. By Joe-B on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I see the Steelers being the ones who punish Roethlisberger more than I see Goodell doing it.

24. By nor cal cards fan on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

What color will the alternate jerseys be?

25. By chris on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

hey boss

I’ve been hearin alot of noise about the the tight end from the Univ of arizona being available around for our early pick. The kids ginormous would fill the hole Leonard Pope never fit, any thoughts. Im talkin every play kinda guy not just situational. I’m on team Lerod as far as the return game goes, could always use another burner on pass plays though.

PAs number 1 fan EVER

Chris

26. By William on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

MIKEFLORIO!!!!! IS LEAVING!!!!!! I HEARD EVERYONE HATES HIM!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

27. By darrenurban on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Nor Cal —

What alternate jerseys?

28. By B-rad on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Ginn”s production doesn’t warrant any draft pick. I’m not just talking his WR skills. If he is available (will probably be cut) if we fail to get a PR in the draft, maybe then at the right price. There is probably a good reason he’s not returning punts anymore. Let’s be patient now!

29. By John on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren
    Do you think that the Cardinals will pick a WR in the first round of the draft
    and if so do you think they’ll go after Golden Tate?

30. By Chris on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

What are the chances that we pick up whoever in the draft?
    What do you think about trading for Roethlisberger, since he’s obviously going to be traded?
    What do you think about putting Joey Porter as fullback to help Wells/Hightower smash the run game?

BTW, all of these questions are not seriously in any way. I just wanted to be a part of all the crazies who ask the same questions, but give you a little variety as well from the norm.

31. By MikeFlorio on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Thats Not True NBC LOVES ME!!!!! DONT BE UPSET BILLY!!!!!!!! HATERS ONLY MAKE FLORIO STRONGER!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAAHAHAAH!!!!!!!!!!!

32. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I heard the NFL is going “shirts and skins”.

EWWW!!

33. By CardsRep928 on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

hahaha D…well it’s much appreciated for what you can dig up. I’m glad your not like the clowns from the NFL network…they should let you on when they talk about the cards so you can put in your “two cents”…Leave them jawless, and have everyone watching the C red crowd? Do we have an actual nickname for UoP yet?

34. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

If Urban can pull down 650 g’s, 1 mil isn’t that a great of jump for a former first rounder. Even though the guy’s injury-prone and has hands of stone, I see the Fish asking for more than a 6th.
    Liked the blog about pass rusher Baggs, hope he makes the 53 man squad.
    Imagine the nicknames after a QB takedown….

35. By darrenurban on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

John —

I think there is zero chance the Cards take a WR in the first round.

36. By darrenurban on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

CardsRep —

Not that I know of.

37. By alex u on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you too John haha,

Shipley’s good but, 3rd round is way to high of a draft pick to be put as the NO.4 reciever, especially since are top 3 WR’s are really young. I see the Cards drafting a WR in the 6th or 7th round (still hope they trade that 6th for Parrish), hopefully one who can PR aswell. Then maybe sign a hopefully cheap WR like Devard Darling or Marty Booker from free agency to battle Ed Gant, Onrea Jones and whoever we get from the draft, for the final spots on the roster. As far as the CB situation, i think AOA in the second is a little to high, but it depends how early Brandon Ghee gets taken in then 2nd, because AOA is the next DB off the board, in my opinion atleast, but i do think we need a CB within the first 4 rounds for sure, sooner than later too. Honestly though i think we talent have talent at CB, Joey Porter’s pash rush will help a damn lot, Toler has the potential to be a starting CB in the he future and Mcfadden just has to turn and face when the ball is in the air, maybe work with Gant and learn to read the recievers eyes and judge where the ball is, i dunno.

38. By Brian R. on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I find it funny how the Steelers didnt make it the playoffs after their ‘superbowl win’. Theyre not gonna make it this year. I think their playoff days are over.. For now…

39. By Bob Christianson on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Thought Beerman or whatever his name is, on espn called it the big Toaster?

40. By cahongisto on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

darren:

I liked the piece of baggs… wish more of the elite althetes had that kinda heart and good will i mean i know we have some great guys in the NFL but there are still alot of knuckleheads that make ya question the money and privledge they get sometimes… so absolutely if your a cardinals fan just his character and work ethic to go 7 years not even in the league and still want it should make fans cheer for him… i mean if your a fan and you ever dreamed of playing and are kicking yourself for stopping somewhere along the line on your way there well this guy didnt stop and i know for me ill be cheering for him and hoping he can help make impacts on our birdgang cause talent is great but character is how legends are created and maybe if we can get a good core of them we can have our dynasty and legends

41. By cahongisto on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

I forgot one other thing and thats to comment on the Ginn trade idea… I think for the value on special teams and to add another deep veritcal threat it could be worth the money possibly… i admit i might like his contract to be restructured but we all know that wont happen

42. By Skiptim on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

I know that he called the Packers Wild Card game the “Roaster in the Toaster”.

43. By Tom B. on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

I have a number of close family members who are long time Dolphin season ticket holders. They would love to get rid of Ginn. He was a high draft pick who was supposed to be premier WR. He drops WAY to many passes, especially in key situations. We do need a #4 WR however and PRer. Moving Breaston to #2 and making him return punts is asking a lot. All that being said, Ginn may be worth a #6 if they can re-work his contract. Even with “drops” in mind, he’s better then Urban was

44. By Wampag on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

D- Good Morning finally got a good day here on the East Coast I just read this St. Pierre signing on hold…….PFT saying Bulger AZ republic saying waitng for draft results…..what do you think? and once again i am hearing that the CARDS like Tebow please tell me thats crazy…for the 400th time

45. By NickSierraVista on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Mike Florio- what team have you been watching? Fitz would be the #1 receiver no matter what team he plays for! When a defense clearly schemes against a player, they fear the talent. That opens everyone else up, that’s part of being a #1 WR.

Put some thought into your posts and you won’t sound like an idiot!

46. By chris on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

hey boss

PAs number 1 fan EVER

Chris

47. By Joe-B on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, he called the Packers game “The Roaster in the Toaster”.

Darren, any word on how Leinart and Anderson have done so far in their training with Coach Miller?

48. By darrenurban on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Not sure who you would be hearing from about Tebow that would have the credibility that person is right.

As for the QB situation, I do not think Bulger is coming here. I think the Cards need to find out what rookies are available and since they have waited this long for St. Pierre, it can’t hurt to wait another week or so.

49. By darrenurban on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Joe-B —

Coaches aren’t out working with players yet. Leinart and Anderson have been doing some throwing on their own, however.

50. By CardsRep928 on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

I agree Brian R. I found it strange the steelers didnt promote whisenhunt or grimm from within…Having said that I am glad they brought in Tomlin, because the Whiz would have never made his way here had they not, but the steelers will not get any better under Mike Tomlin, and I think he will be looking for a new job after the 2011 season

51. By John on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

OK. If you use my name, you cant ask questions like, Will the Cards draft a 1st round WR.

There is no way, in any scenerio, no matter who falls, the cards take a wr in the first round.

They have 3 outstanding wideouts. Anyone they bring in will be a forth wr, and they better play special teams.

Alex u – Ghee has the talent but hasnt put it together. AOA is one of those small school guys , loaded with speed, size and talent. We hit a home run with DRC and we are trying with Toler. The jury is out on Toler, but even if he emerges, AOA could be that nickle and drop back to safety in Passing situations and allow A-Dub to get up near the line where he is at his best. His 9 returns for TDs is an added bonus. Late 2 early 3. Seems to me, we did ok with a 3rd round corner from a smaller school a few years back. (my favorite Cardinal – Aeneas Williams)
    Personally, Weatherspoon at 1, Cam Thomas at 2, Trade a 3rd and a 4th to come up and land AOA, and then grab Thad Gibson in the 3rd.

52. By Eazy E on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Ginn would be a fantastic pickup for a late round pick, 5th, 6th, or 7th rounder. He runs like a gazelle, the man is super fast. He’s explosive on special teams returning kicks and punts and he’d play a big part in our offense because we still have the 3, 4, 5 wr sets, just not as much without kurt but the whiz is still running with those sets, we’ll just run the ball a little more. MIKE FLORIO is a hater and a idiot, both the guy/girl that posts here and the guy/girl that runs profootballtalk. I like the website, but everytime it has something to do with the cardinals good or bad, he gone diss us or talk shi*!

53. By Javy on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

hey darren what about torry holt!! i mean he would make a great match with larry fitzgeral dont you think and a great reciever for matt leinart do you think the cardinals can get him and hey what about MARC BULGER we do need 4 quarterbacks and we might be getting st pierre but we still need another quarterback does marc come in mind?? PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTIONS!!

54. By Javy on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

speaking about ten ginn look at this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35fxXOXBrA8&feature=related

55. By darrenurban on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Javy —

Holt doesn’t fit at all. At this point, Bulger doesn’t either. The Cards are going to get a rookie (or two) at the position.

56. By alex u on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

id rather ahve Ghee then AOA. and id rather have Torrel Troup then Cam Thomas, and id rather keep our two 3rds and 4th for depth.

57. By Javy on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

at aht position qb??

58. By Javy on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

sorry at what position QB or Wide receiver i mean its ok to get a qb like colt mccoy would be great but not a widereciever because Ted Ginn , might come to the cardinals and after what i saw of him witch is

he was just amazing OH PLEASE WATCH THIS VIDEO DARREN!!

59. By Mark on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

I’m sorry, I am just a little curious why everyone thinks the Cards need another big name receiver. In my opinion they have a great line – up of receivers

60. By John on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Alex u
    Troop is moving up draft boards. But is it because of need ? Not alot of true NT’s in the draft that can play right away. Either Troop or Thomas would help the cards. Most scouts think Thomas can play from day one. Thats why I lean his way.

As for Ghee vs AOA. Ghee doesnt have the same pr skills. AOA is a ballhawk who also has played the deep half of the field at safety, Ghee has not.
    At the least with AOA, you get a guy to push Matt Ware out of his role and a great punt returner. With possibilities of being a great corner.

AOA is a better ballhawk,Ghee 1 pick vs AOAs 10 picks over last 2 years. Ghee is not a PR, AOA had in 09 3 KO and 2 PR tds alone. AOA has experience covering back end of defense at times, Ghee has not. AOA is just a better fit and would help this team from day one. Giving up a 4 to move up to get him would be worth it since he gives us depth at several spots.

Man I love the draft.

61. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

It would be great if the Cards could find a 4th WR, who can actually play WR and still contribute on special teams, whether covering kicks/punts or returning them.

62. By Eric on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think Ginn is TOO expensive. In fact, his salary #’s are quite low for a player of his caliber. I’m thinking that Ginn could use a fresh start and with the offense the Cards run, he would be an awesome 3rd or 4th WR. He is completely different that Doucet, so I’d love to see him in a 3 WR set that included Fitz, Breaston and Ginn. Who would the Defense cover??

63. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Eric —

A player of his caliber? Someone so unproductive and unable to avoid drops that his team wants to trade him? I think you need to re-think that logic.