• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Schedule emphasizes NFL strength

Posted by Darren Urban on April 14, 2010 – 2:14 pm

Saw this comment by former Packers exec and current writer for the National Football Post, Andrew Brandt: “Continuing power of NFL: it is “news” that schedule — with opponents already known — will be announced next Tuesday.”

So true. The NFL let everyone know today the 2010 schedule will come out next week (at 4 p.m. Arizona time) and it was, indeed, news. And it will be big news again Tuesday when the actual schedule is released (and again, we already know what opponents every team has; the schedule release is about what dates those games will be played).

It underscores that, again, there never is a true downtime for the NFL anymore. Fans are ravenous for any football news. But mostly, it shows the power of the shield.

Tags:

45 Responses to “Schedule emphasizes NFL strength”

1. By pjdylan on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Show me the schedule!!!

2. By sergio on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Please cowboys vs cards on monday night please….

3. By Bobf on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

A little bit anti-climactic being that we already know the opposing teams for months before based on the math involved.

4. By Eric on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

I would like to avoid the Raiders and Cowboys in primetime. It’s bad enough being around their fans on a regular sunday afternoon. Giving them more time to be drunk and stupid is a recipe for disaster. I’m sure anyone who remembers the preseason game against the Raiders in 2004 can attest to how bad the environment was.

5. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

WOOOT!!!!!!!! WOOOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets open against them damn Cowboys!!!!

6. By Eric on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

The importance of where the games fall during the season and the interest in which teams are getting which primetime slots is always important to NFL fans. That, and there are so few games in an NFL season that everyone is very interested in the schedule release.

7. By j on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Nope, I am telling you the Cards 1st game will be against the Seahawks on the 2nd Monday Night game, and I am willing to bet they get one other primtime game, probably a Sunday night against the Saints.

8. By Jesse Robles on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

BYE LATE IN SEASON!!!!!! Killed us having the bye week 4 last year. Good point Eric, those fans are deff the worse. Most likely get the 49ers in Primetime like the past couple of years, it’s turning into one of the big rivalries in the NFL.

9. By chem dawg on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

opening the season vs the suck-hawks would be great !!! would be nice to shut their fans up early. lol.

10. By cahongisto on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

So Darren-

Just a trade idea based on what happened with marshall today coming to miami… ginn and miami’s 12th pick for the cardinals 26th and one of the cardinals 3rd and maybe a 6th? im curious about this idea cause the dolphins would get picks back and we would get a receiver that we would know what we were getting… the swap of the 1st i think would be something miami might be interested in cause they could still get the outside pass rusher they need but get some of those picks back… and im not saying az needs ot move up in the draft and spend that extra money but i think the move up would help us get an impact player we need at a position were weak at

11. By MikeFlorio on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

IT DOESN”T MATTER WHEN THE CARDS FACE WHOEVER THEY FACE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS THAT PRIMETIME NO PRIME TIME, THE 49ers WILL OWN THE CARDS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! ROMEO AND COMPANY WILL LOOK FOR REDEMPTION AND SEAWHO< IS NOT OF ANY CONCERNS

12. By darrenurban on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Cahong –

I doubt Miami would want that. And I don’t know if it’d be worth it for the Cards. They may have zero interest in a guy like Ginn.

13. By darrenurban on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

MikeFlorio –

Unfortunately, you are now bordering on irritating others for irritation’s sake.

14. By CMacyn on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

MIKE is wack!!!!

15. By Jon L on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I see the cards opening against San fran as usual but I had a question about the draft. Why is it that so many experts are saying the cards should draft an OLB when the transition takes awhile and we already have so many projects at that position(Baggs, Brown and Davis) as well as Joey porter in the mix. I think the cards should go for a ILB or DT.

16. By sergio on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Eric- I was at that game and sat in the “black hole” it was insane good thing I was still a raiders fan that day or it could ve gotten ugly am proud to say as a cards I would now sit in the middle of the raider pack on a monday night game and boo my former team… While ducking beer cups and punches of course…

17. By darrenurban on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Jon L –

I think the experts are guessing, just like the rest of us. I think the talent available will mostly dictate the pick. If there is an OLB head-and-shoulders above the ILB or DT available, you take the OLB. Don’t pass on talent to reach.

18. By kingdiamond on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

The NFL is an addiction!

19. By Javy on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

hey comon we need this CARDINALS vs STEELERS on saturday night NBC comon oh and make it at HOME!!!

20. By MARK on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

I HOPE WE FACE THE COWBOY’S OR GOLD MINER’S

21. By fitzis11red on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

I would like a shot at the 49ers early. Those two loses sting real bad for me. I have to hear about it from a San Francisco fan all the time at work. Hopefully Matty will have a fine fine day and Wells runs over Willis. Several times. Just curious…has anybody else lightened up on the NFC East and now can’t stand the other teams in the NFC West? Since the realignment each year I grow to detest the 49ers, Seahawks and Rams. lol. All in good football fun of course. I don’t seem to mind the NFC East as much. Except all the coverage they get of course.

22. By darrenurban on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Javy –

The Steelers aren’t on the schedule.

23. By words of wisdom on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Please for the love of GOD listen to the man, he just said it “you don’t pass on talent to reach” I know that’s not exactly an endorsement of Hughes but I do know at first glance it may seem like the team has a great need at ILB or NT, in reality the team’s greatest need is the ability to consistently sack the QB period.

As for the schedule I don’t care as long as we get the 49ers in week 17 I don’t mind kicking some 49er ass before we go to the playoffs

24. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

That May to July downtime from OTA’s to Training Camp is pretty dull also.
    You have the occassional injury, the happens -on-the-fly retirement and the out of the blue arrest in a Taco Bell parking lot.
    Good thing the NBA playoffs will be STILL be going on in June, 2 MONTHS after they started.

25. By 98CardsFan on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

You know what really irks me? It’s the fact that the Cards were willing to part with a 3rd pick for a Third String QB only his father has heard of, yet to solve an issue with their inside backer hole they didn’t even try to sign LB Kirk Morrison. The Raiders only tendered him a 3rd round level. I know, I know, whatever offer he receives the Raiders have 7 days to match and such, but you would think they would at least try! He’s relatively everything Dansby was, and he was there for the taking. That one will take some time to get over.

26. By words of wisdom on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

1) JERRY HUGHES OLB TCU
    2) DARYL WASHINGTON ILB TCU
    3) TORRELL TROUP NT UCF
    3) ALTERRAUN VERNER UCLA
    4) JOHN SKELTON QB FORDHAM
    6) FENDI ONOBUN TE
    7) DAVID GETTIS WR BAYLOR

27. By Pay9-0.com on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Haha totally called it that Florio was a 9ers fan…prob should stop approving him comments D

Also,What do the Cards Front office think of Jerry Hughes?

28. By darrenurban on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

98CardsFan –

I think the collective love for Morrison needs to stop. If Morrison was so great, some team would have tried to sign him. Which they did not. I’m not saying he’s not a solid player. But he’s not Patrick Willis either. If you sign an RFA, you’re not only giving up the pick, you are basically committing a fat new contract (see Marshall, Brandon). Maybe he’s not worth that.

29. By darrenurban on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

Pay9-0 –

I think it’s naive to think they’d let us know.

30. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

I think the Cards WILL draft a QB in the latter rounds and WoW just spoke of Skelton from Fordham.
    LeFevoure and Pike will be gone, as well as Tebow, McCoy and Clausen.
    Would the Cards be better off to try an undrafted rookie or use a pick on a QB?

31. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

The Cardinals need to trade up in the first round. I just feel that way period. They have to sign the best talent available, I agree to that. so, lets trade up and sign a good solid future star of the team. Whatever position.

32. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 14, 2010 | Reply

or, trade our first round pick for multiple seconds or thirds, I’d be happy with that too.

33. By Jon L on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Do you think the cards will draft a top flight prospect that falls if they aren’t a position of need like Clausen Spiller or Bradford?

34. By dylan on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

whats the chances of the cardinals picking up erik decker in the 3rd round?

35. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Jon L –

I think the Cards would jump on Bradford at 26, but he isn’t getting out of the top five (if he slipped a pick or two, then teams start trading up to get him at the top of the draft). Spiller makes no sense to me. I have huge reservations about Clausen, so I think you’d have to think long and hard about that.

36. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Dylan –

On that one, I have no idea.

37. By John on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

98cards fan
    Why are the Raiders only giving Kirk Morrison a third round tender? Thats pretty low for a starter with his stats. Why has no one in the league tried to pry him away? A guy with 133 tackles and no one wants to give up a third?

Maybe this helps.With guys like Seymour and Kelly up front, the raiders were 29th against the run and gave up the most rushing TDs. Maybe Morrison, who is the Mike LB,(traditionally a run stopper) is not worth a third round pick ? Maybe the raiders and the rest of the league feels his stats are misleading and he doesnt fill the hole. Maybe on film, he is making tackles down field. There must be something, since ILB is not a real strong class in the draft.

The cards can find a rookie, Weatherspoon, Sean Lee, Daryl Washington, ect, that are better than Morrison. That is why the cards arent interested. And its a good move.

38. By John on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Decker wont make it to our third round pick. Big, physical wrs like him, if he didnt get injured, would have a shot at the lower 1st.

But again, if we believe in Fitz, Breaston, and Doucet (and I do), why an early pick on wr?

39. By Billy Thomas on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Let’s face it, Cardinals vs. Saints is practically a lock for Primetime. Warner or no Warner, ESPN and NBC won’t pass on that matchup. However, if anything else, I see NBC putting the Cardinals on a primetime matchup for the later season, so that they can flex out of it if Leinart struggles. Also, after the last two Monday Night games with Zona and SF, I can see ESPN scheduling that game for a third straight season. I’m going to guess AZ vs. NO (NBC), SF at AZ (ESPN), and another random game probably scheduled in the late flex season.

40. By dylan on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

John-

because erik decker is dating my sister and we live in arizona so i think it would be super cool for him to get drafted by the cardinals and he seems like he could be a super good wr in the nfl

41. By dylan on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

yeah eric deck i mean lol

42. By Cris on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

I know I’m like an old record on this, but any update on Deuce, other than unsigned?

Does through the 15th mean midnight, or is there a C.O.B. time that applies to tender offers?

Thanks,

Cris

43. By John on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Dylan,
    Well at least you have the best reason of anyone on the board for drafting a WR early.

44. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Cris –

Deuce is unsigned.

All today’s deadline means is no other NFL team can sign him to an offer sheet as an RFA. It does not mean Lutui has to sign, although I am surprised he has not.

45. By John on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Duece can’t be signed by another team.
    He cant be traded without signing his tender offer.
    The cards could tear up a signed tender offer if a long term deal is reached.

Any thing to be read into this ? So is this a little silent protest for a long term deal ?