Numbers, they are a-changin’

Posted by Darren Urban on April 15, 2010 – 9:48 am

Bryant McFadden actually had eyed uniform No. 20 since he showed up in Arizona as a free agent last year. But the cornerback ran into a veteran – cornerback Ralph Brown – who already had it and “Ralph wasn’t going to budge.”

“I was stuck with 25 and I wasn’t really a fan of 25,” McFadden said.

So when safety Kerry Rhodes arrived in a trade this offseason seeking that same 25 – since 25 had been Rhodes’ number since he got into the league – McFadden wasn’t going to be like Brown.

“I told him, ‘We’ve got to make a switch,” Rhodes said. “He said, ‘Is 20 open?’ I said, ‘I don’t know, but 21 is.’ ”

Rhodes had been issued 21 – Antrel Rolle’s old number – when he arrived. But Brown’s 20 was also going to be available since the team wasn’t going to re-sign Brown. There were a couple hoops to jump through with the NFL, since McFadden “25” jerseys were made, but it’s official now. And it was relatively peaceful.

“No fights about it,” Rhodes said with a laugh. “We kept it civil.”

Civil, but not necessarily free. Asked if Rhodes was going to have to cough up any compensation for giving up 25, McFadden smiled and said, “We’ll leave that undisclosed.”

It wasn’t the only flip-flop. The Reggie Walker-Joey Porter switch recently came down, and veteran linebacker Monty Beisel also convinced fellow linebacker Cody Brown to flip-flop. Beisel had been 52 in his first stint with the Cards, but when he returned last season he took 50 because Brown already had 52. Brown had been 50 in college.

Tags: , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Numbers, they are a-changin’”

1. By Josh on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren
    I know its alittle off subject but, its almost that time for the Fan Fest. I havent seen any info on it yet. Is there any news on it?

2. By johnnybluenose on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

i like numbers too. and i’ve never been fussy about fitz wearing number 11. shouldn’t he be wearing something in the 80’s? and isn’t 26 a bit too delicate for beanie wells? he needs something in the 30’s. unleash that power and leave 26 to the pretty boys who prefer to dance rather than run. not that beanie’s not pretty, don’t want him mad at me.

3. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Josh —

Fan Fest is May 1. Gates open at the team facility at 9 a.m. Autograph session for kids 12 and under from 10:15 to 10:40. Practice from 10:45 to 12:15.

4. By kyle on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

so is mcfadden now number 21?

5. By Bobf on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey Bryant, Why don’t you work on turning your head around to look for the ball? I’m not sure a number change will help that.

6. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Kyle —

No. He took 20.

7. By kyle on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

bobf I agree. if we want to have a better secondary next year we gotta get rid of mcfadden. I’d even rather have greg toler in there

8. By dylan on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

i think mcfadden can and will play better he just needs to stop making rookie mistakes

9. By kyle on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

dylan if he’s making rookie mistakes why don’t we just put a rookie out there who has more upside! greg toler

10. By kyle on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

I mean shoot toler had more interceptions than mcfadden and mcfadden probably played 10 times more than toler

11. By dylan on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

yeah true i like toler alot but dont tell me if mcfadden could go back to the way he use to play you wouldn love that

12. By JC on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Toler will take McFadden’s starting role before mid-season…Toler is a better athlete, faster, bigger and hungrier… In Whiz we trust!

13. By BDMag on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Maybe McFadden won’t suck now.

14. By Kevin on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I appreciate all the work you do everyday, compared to other nfl team websites the amount of content you give us is off the charts.

Since we are on the topic of Kerry Rhodes and his no 25 he wore at the jets, any word on the cardinals looking at Jets ex-cb to sheppard or any other cbs lately?

Rex Ryan had been disappointed in Sheppard who is just 29, and it seems like sheppard didn’t fit well in his system of defense, but he was a pro-bowler in PHI, and I think is still a solid corner we may be able to get for a decent price.

I know CB isn’t that big of a need and we have a bright future in that area, but Sheppard, Fred Smoot and Nick Harper are still available.

15. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Kevin —

At this point, nothing is going to happen until after the draft, when the Cards can reassess what they need. If they draft a CB early, for instance, they won’t want/need someone like Sheppard.

16. By BigAl on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

I think we are kinda missing the point. With a all-pro CB on the other side and a inconsistent pass rush, a C to B+ defensive back is toast. Improve our defensive front and our pass coverage will improve, regardless of whether McFadden or Toler is out there.

17. By words of wisdom on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Any chance the cardinals trade Leinart’s no.7 for Roethlisberger’s no.7

18. By John on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Alright everyone,
    Since WR is brought up on every blog, Does anyone know much about ASU Sundevil Kyle Williams?

He is projected to go in the 6-7 round. A little smaller at 5-11 but runs a 4.4 forty.
    He was Pac-ten second team punt returner in 09.Giving him a shot at 4th wr and punt returner.

I didnt watch many sun devil games, any opinions out there?

19. By Mclark on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

matt is the man! i believe he can win and be great in this league down the road… but would we trade for rothelisburger? it could make sense since we are build to win now…

20. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Words —

I think Matt is happy with his number.

21. By John on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Mclark,
    Correct me if I’m wrong Darren, But Big Ben and Whiz were not the best of friends. I dont think Whiz would touch him if the steelers gave us draft picks.

22. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

John —

I think it’d be tough to trade for Ben right now. That said, acquiring a proven Super Bowl-winning quarterback offsets most other factors. And while I don’t know if Whiz and Ben will ever take a vacation together, it’s not like they hate each other. It was a coach/player relationship.

23. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

John, Kyle Williams’ 40 speed is the only thing that MIGHT have him drafted. I think he’ll be an undrafted rookie, though.
    Dexter Davis will be a late rounder, probably 6 or 7. The Sundevil that’ll go early will be G Shaun Laveao.

24. By words of wisdom on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

John-

I do know this, if a player of his caliber is still on the board at 195, that wouldn’t be a steal, that would be straight up robbery. Other than that it would be a perfect fit.

25. By cody on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

why are Ben Roethlisberger questions coming up??? is there any source at all, or is everybody just spit balling here??? i know he got in trouble, but i doubt the steelers would trade him, and i also doubt that wed give up enough to get him. and evenn if they traded him, why would we want him??? the reason he would be traded is because hes been accused of raping 2 women!!! why would we want that??? to me it seems even more of a reach than the Mcnabb questions, at least that made a little bit of sense. i never knew it was so hard to trust in one of our franchises best coaches decision making, why cant we just accept the fact that Leinarts behind center this year??? and if we really want to ask about someone who will almost definately not come here, why arent we talking about Brees or Manning??? or Warner coming back??? Mcnabb and Roethlisberger??? cant we aim a little higher???

26. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Cody —

Lotta question marks there.

I mean literally. I count 27.

27. By Chris on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

I’m pretty sure Ben is not gonna be wearing red anytime soon, haha. After all the stupid stuff Ben had to say about Whiz’s play-calling (I believe he was quoted saying Whiz’s calls were “predictable”). Who would want a lumberjack rapist on their team anyway?

28. By words of wisdom on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Cody-

Any higher than that and your talking about Favre, Brees, Brady and Manning.
    And that’s not possible, I know it remains to be seen but whether you believe it or not he’s gone, he’s done in Pittsburgh. Why would we want him, he’s younger than Mcnabb and he has two superbowl rings that’s why. For the most part I believe people trust Whiz, but the real question is does Leinart know what he’s doing, that’s where the doubt is.

And of all the teams that are possibly available for his services, the Cards are the best fit and I’d rather take my chances with Rapistberger than Matt the BUST Leinart.

29. By Lone-Eagle on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Chris,
    I agree 100%!!! Just because the D.A. didn’t charge that slimey piece of garbage does not mean he isn’t guilty!! In my opinion, Roger Goodell should suspend him for the year. Anything less would be a joke!! Also your telling the rest of the league thatas long as they don’t get charged they can do anything they want to do, at minimal cost to them!! He is a 100 million dollar QB. The fine won’t hurt him, and a two game suspension, that is a slap on the wrist!! He walked because he has money to hire a high priced attorney. He is guilty and he knows it and that is why his comments were “I will not speak of the incidents of the evening, I wish to put it in my past.” The DA painted a pretty good picture for the whole world to see. Evidence does not lie, but money can cover up a lot of truth, and Ben has alot of that. I don’t care how many Super-Bowls he has, or how great of a QB he may be. He is a criminal who committed a heinous felony, and is walking away scott free because he can throw a football and win games. I believe the Cardinals organization has more class in one “wing” than, Roethlesberger has in his entire body!! I really don’t believe they would make that kind of mistake, at least I hope not. Also DARREN, I know you said that Marc Bulger was not going to be signed, but his name keeps popping up and now that they have put a hold on St. Pierre, it kind of makes you wonder?? Let’s go Cards, more importantly, let’s go Leinart!!!

30. By D D on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

i agree mcfadden does need to turn his head and look for the ball more, but i think he did a good job considering nobody wants to throw drc way. yes hes not a big ball hawk but he is def a solid cover corner. toler does have a great upside and will compete with mcfadden. it will make both of them better just what whiz is aiming for. depth and competition!

31. By D D on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

by the way big ben can keep his lucky greasy head in the steal city for all i care.

32. By cody on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

you counted right, but there were really 8 questions, with most being rhetorical. and i did a little research and found that the steelers are willing to part with Roethlisberger, but are really infatuated with Bradford and would probably only deal him if it helped them get the number 1 pick as well. which means most likely no Roethlisberger for us, thank the Lord. i dont care how good a qb is, i dont want him on my team if he has a concussion history and has been accused of rape twice.

33. By Tbru on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Gonna cruise out of this city
    Head down to the sea
    Gonna shout out at the ocean
    Hey it’s me
    And I feel like a number
    Just like a number

34. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

So I’m assuming since Brown’s number 20 has been given away, he is done with the Cards?

Hopefully McFadden plays like he did in Pittsburgh with #20.

Beisel looked weird in #50 last year.

35. By mclark on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

John,
    I had never heard of any disputes between them. You also might think whiz would want to work a franchise quarterback he won a super bowl with… But i agree with comments made on another post that we definitey should sell the farm to get him like ditka did to trade up for williams.

36. By Ditship on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

I’m hoping we get a little more out of McFadden then we did last year.. I think Adams was the Goat of the Packers game because BFad was getting blown up just as bad. Like a few stated above I do feel that Toler will be starting before the season is up.. I just hope it’s not because of injuries.

37. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Sittin —

Correct. Brown will not be back.

38. By Scott H on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

McFadden can change his number to anything he wants. If he doesn’t play any better than he did last year, it’s the name on his jersey that will need to change…how ’bout TOAST???

39. By Eazy E on Apr 17, 2010 | Reply

Im glad they got ‘their’ numbers! That is important to players. You want them to get ‘their’ numbers. If big ben is available, we gotta go after him. I don’t like his decision making off the field, hanging out with college kids but his decision making on the field is great. He’s a top 5 qb in this league. 2-time super bowl champion. We can’t go 0-2 on elite qbs available(Donovan McNabb, Ben Roethlisberger(maybe available via trade). Whiz and Ben can ‘kiss and make up’ and then let’s play some football.

40. By I Bleed Cacti (Next Time I Will Take Pictures) on Apr 17, 2010 | Reply

I think it’s kind of silly to make the assumption we would pursue Ben.
    I mean, let’s ruin our reputation of a team with great, influential players with Integrity.
    And take an ugly, oily-looking rapist to toss around our ball.
    To be honest, we’re better than that.
    Also,
    I feel we’d be better off with ME as a QB.
    I was a D-lineman.
    At least I wouldn’t do things to detrimentally affect my team’s image.