Seeking a QB and other draft stuff

Posted by Darren Urban on April 15, 2010 – 2:36 pm

Ken Whisenhunt admits it. If Sam Bradford is there as the 26th pick overall, the Cardinals will draft him.

OK, so it isn’t going on a limb. Bradford isn’t making it out of the top three, and at this point, it’ll be an upset if he isn’t selected No. 1 by fellow NFC West tenant St. Louis. But the Cards are, not surprisingly, going to look and see if they can find a quarterback somewhere in the draft. That’s something the Cardinals’ coach acknowledged the team has considered the last couple of years. Whisenhunt also admitted figuring out if a quarterback will truly fit and succeed is one of the toughest jobs for a team. Any team.

“Sometimes it’s the scheme, sometimes it’s the talent around the quarterback,” Whisenhunt said. “I think early in a quarterback’s career there are a lot of things that can determine where his career is going to go. If he has a strong team around him, he can turn into something good. There are quarterbacks who are high picks coming out and don’t have a good team around them and they take a beating and they never seem to recover. There are a number of factors involved.

“There are things important to us that we have learned over the years – technique, drops, how they throw the ball, knowledge of the game, how they do reads, the things that would make them successful. But once again, we never know how they are going to react to the stress of this level.”

That’s why quarterbacks like Bradford end up going No. 1 overall because teams can’t afford to pass on them when they are franchise quarterback-less.

In other breaking news, Whisenhunt said if  defensive tackle studs Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy is sitting there at No. 26, the Cards would be willing to select them. Offensive tackle Russell Okung too. I’m sure you’re stunned at such information.

Three other quick draft related points:

– General manager Rod Graves, acknowledging it is a personal preference, said unless there is an exception player on the board like a left tackle, he prefers to stay away from drafting an offensive lineman in the first round. I always thought the Cards would go defense in the first round anyway, but anyone mock drafting the Cards will take a tackle or someone like guard Mike Iupati is probably off-base;

– Whisenhunt said the team will obviously be looking for defensive depth but he feels the defense is helped by some of the offseason moves, notably linebacker Joey Porter’s signing. “It helps when you get a guy like Joey, who you feel brings  a lot to the table not only as a player but as a guy who can help with the mentality of your team,” Whisenhunt said. “To me, that was something as a team we needed to improve on. We did at times and other times we didn’t.”

That said, the Cards’ braintrust sure sound like defense will be an important factor in the draft. Whisenhunt stressed they won’t pass up an important offensive piece they can use if such a player were highly rated just to reach for a defender, but I think defense will be the focus.

– Speaking of defense, Whisenhunt disputed the idea there weren’t a lot of quality inside linebackers, noting that the lack of inside guys projected for the first round may be more a result of the draft’s overall talent, especially on the offensive and defensive lines.

Don’t forget, live chat with yours truly tomorrow (here’s the link), 11 a.m. PST (2 p.m. EST).

Tags: , , , , ,

107 Responses to “Seeking a QB and other draft stuff”

1. By Tom on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Been doing a mock-draft for the Cardinals on an NFL forum over the past week or so – just the first 3 rounds.

Ended up with us taking -

1st- Jermaine Gresham; think we lack a good TE and it will help Leinart a lot to have a target to throw to there along with Fitz, Breaston and Doucet.

2nd- Jared Veldheer, a lot of Tackles in this years draft and I went for the athletic OT with a great upside to him.

3rd – Sean Lee, ILB and Javier Arenas, CB. Lee to fill the need at LB, had a great college career and could be a great pick-up. Arenas for his Special teams qualities and also because we need another CB for the future to play opposite DRC, so why not him.

Think any of these pick-ups will be likely?

2. By CKersh on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

i am really hoping that sean witherspoon will be there at 26.
    any chance of us trading for Roethlisberger??? i would give them our 2nd and a 3rd to be honest and give leinart the shaft. does that sound remotely smart to you darren? is that even realistic?

3. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Tom –

I just don’t see them going tight end in the first round.

4. By John on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Interesting he thinks the draft isn’t weak at ILB. Most scouts and draft boards think 1-2 in the first. 1-2 in the second, maybe 3 in the third, and a handful after that.
    Maybe its like the wr class in his opinion, where there is 1-2 in the first but alot of talent in rounds 2-3.

We will have to wait till next week to see who he likes.But it sounds like he has his eye on a couple of ILBs.

5. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

CKersh –

The Steelers aren’t trading Ben for a second and a third.

6. By Andre Brice on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    A first round ILB would be great for our defense, but what round do you think we’ll go after a Qb?

7. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Andre –

Depends. I don’t think the first two rounds. After that … we’ll see.

8. By Luie on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

What are the chances of cards taking Taylor Mays if he is there and converting him to LB?

9. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Luie –

I don’t think that would happen.

10. By John on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Tom,
    Gresham looks like a future star but I dont see TE early in the draft. I think they like Ben Patrick. You know they like Becht’s blocking. I think several guys they are looking at would have to be off the board before they did that.

Sean Lee- This is a guy I like. If Sean Weatherspoon isnt there in the 1st, he is my number 2 ILB.

Your other 3 is Arenas ? We have enough 5-9 guys like Adams and Brown. Why do we need another guy who is slow and small? This pick would be a waste.

Also, we can not get out of the first 3 rounds without addressing NT. This is a huge need. And besides Mt Cody, Dan Williams, Torrell Troop and Cam Thomas, there isnt much else to play the 3-4. There are guys you could force in the role like Lamarr Houston but he is more a 4-3 guy.

IMO – any good draft needs to address ILB and NT in our first 4 picks.

Again, just 1 mans opinion.

11. By CMacyn on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Do you think the Cardinals are looking for another CB or do you think they trust in Toler and Mcfadden to get it done. Also do you think there is a chance that Toler will win the 2nd CB spot?

12. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

CMac –

Yes, I think Toler can start.

Yes, I think the Cards will look at cornerback, but that doesn’t mean they’ll kick McFadden to the curb or lack trust. That’s simply a position you are always trying to improve. Given the lack of time rookies get at first on this team, drafting one and having him play behind McFadden for a year makes sense, especially since McFadden is a free agent after 2010.

13. By Jorge on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,

I’ve been thinking about drafting a quality NT in the first round to pair up with Dockett and Campbell (if sean weatherspoon isnt available) and probably taking Sean Lee in the 2nd round as ILB, looks like a smart player with talent and some leadership skills.
    Some say we should pick a pass rusher (Brandon Graham) in the first round, but im not so sure… I think Porter will do a great job and there’s stevie baggs, Cody Brown (how is he looking?) and Will Davis behind him (liked the way he played last season)

Your thoughts?
    Thanks for keeping us fans informed on everything BTW!! GO CARDS!!!!

14. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Jorge –

Great idea in theory. But what NT is first-round talent that will be there at 26?

15. By CKersh on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

1st-Sean Witherspoon ILB
    2nd-Patrick Robinson CB
    3rd-Joe McKnight RB
    3rd-John Skelton QB
    4th-Aaron Hernandez TE

16. By Alberto on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

In your opinion do you think that Terrell Owens is a possibilty for the Cards? He is still unsigned and probably can be signed for cheap. I think he still could be a dangerous receiver especially playing next to Fitzgerald and Breaston. Also any words on Lutui or Krieder? thank you

17. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

CKersh –

Joe McKnight? Why?

18. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Alberto –

Nothing new on Lutui. He hasn’t signed. Krieder still could be in play but the Cards are going to wait until after the draft and see how things shake out.

Do I even have to answer your first question?

19. By John on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

I may have missed it, but have you ever done an in depth acticle on Toler?

Looking up his scouting report from last year, its interesting he played semi pro ball and worked at JC Penney then went to little St Paul’s where there football program was just starting. This guy must have been so raw last year.
    Even with that, scouts loved his quickness and he is a very good athlete.
    He was compared to Marcus Trufant on one report.

Maybe you are right and this guy will emerge as a legit CB opposite DRC, especially with Porter bringing some heat.

Hey, then you could talk about someone else going from stocking to star instead of Warner :)

20. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

For what it’s worth, I’ll throw in my hat(and I bet I guess I’ll get 6 of 7 wrong).
    OLB/ILB Weatherspoon, NT Cam Thomas, WR Mardy Gilyard, CB AOA from PA, OT Levi Morgan from Montana, QB Levi Brown and some guy named Levi that can replace the OTHER Levi Brown at RT.
    WE need a whole team of Levi’s. To paraphrase Elton John, “And he shall be Levi, and shall be a good man,and he shall be Levi and tradition with the family plan.”

21. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

John –

I haven’t done a big Toler piece. I was planning on it this offseason.

22. By Alberto on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

allow me to rephrase my question. Have you heard anything about the Cards considering T.O. ?

23. By John on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Andystandsup,
    Love your draft.
    Not a fan of gilyard but the other picks more than make up for him. I would say we had an “A” draft on that one.

You just missed one thing; We should sign LEVI Jones.

24. By Ben on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Draft Dream:

Trade or first pick and move down and get an extra 2nd and (3rd or 4th)

Picks

2a Mount Cody
    2b Sean Lee
    3a Best OLB available
    3b Best CB available
    4 and up Let Whiz do his job

Make it happen baby!!!!

25. By John on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

One more thing on Toler;
    He had 14 picks in his college career along with 36 pass breakup nd 50 passes defended. .80 passes defended was the top mark in NCAA division 2 ball as of 2008.

What all that means to me is, he can break on the ball and make a play. This is what plagued Rod Hood and also McFadden last year. They were in good position but didnt make a play on the ball.
    Toler played so little last year-since he was so raw. It will be interested to see what kind of player he develops into out of camp.

26. By alex u on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

1st – LB Sean Weatherspoon / NT Dan Williams
    2nd – NT Torrel Troop / LB Donald Butler
    3rd – OLB Dekoda Watson / LB Brandon Spikes
    3rd – CB Kevin Thomas
    4th – OT Ed Wang
    6th – WR Kyle Wiliams
    7th – SS Cody Grimm

27. By Buddy Lembeck on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

-D-

What are the odds we sign a guy like Graham Harrell instead of drafting one? He went undrafted last year and I think this QB class is weak. PLUS Harrell is an all-time leading passer in the NCAA!

28. By brazilian fan on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

darren, I haven’t seen anybody asking you, but what about Rashad Johnson? what do you think about his potential, would he be always backup, or can buid up
    well after kerry rhodes to turn into a future starter?
    and I’m very curious, do you think stvie baggs is going to have playtime during the season? he seems to be a great athlete. thanks

29. By alex u on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

I’d rather just take St. Pierre and bring in Max Hall or Canfield or Joey Elliot from FA if they’re there after the draft, and see how Leinart does and wait till next year. But yeah we could easily take Sean Canfield in the 7th.

30. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Alberto –

Oh, I understood.

There is nothing going on, and nothing that would. Owens will not be a Cardinal.

31. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

John –

The numbers are good. But playing devil’s advocate, don’t forget he was playing against guys who aren’t close to the caliber of who he is playing now.

32. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Buddy –

I can’t speak to Harrell specifically, but they might sign an undrafted guy. There is a reason Harrell isn’t on a roster.

33. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Brazilian –

I think Rashad has a lot to prove.

As for Baggs, he has an uphill battle just to make the team. He has to do that first before worrying about playing time.

34. By Rob on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

At 26 here are my top 3
    1.Dan Williams
    2. Weatherspoon
    3. Best rush LB available

I think the best scenario IMO is having Dan Williams fall to 26. Having a strong NT, Calais and NINE-OH up front would generate good push, freeing up our rush LB and make their jobs easier, not to mention the secondary. I know dan williams may be long gone but i’m not sold on Mt. Cody

Same with ‘Spoon, glaring hole in the middle, Weatherspoon would fill it nicely but again another big IF, he could be gone by 26. I think both NT and LB are tops if any of these two are on the board, if not then wait for later rounds, otherwise we’d be reaching on other prospects like sean lee or donald butler, they can be had in the 2nd.

If we miss on Williams and ‘Spoon, then take the BPA at OLB, Graham, Hughes, Kindle. Would strongly consider an elite OT that falls a la Michael Oher last year.

Thoughts?
    PS sorry 4 the long post

35. By Javy on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

hey darren what about Colt Mccoy do the cardinals want to draft him if he is in that MAGIC number 26?? oh and what about Mr. Ted Ginn Jr any news about him??

36. By John on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Thats what makes it so interesting. A talented but raw corner seeing if he can make that step to the next level (In his case- 2levels) and play with the big boys.
    It seems to me that grades and a desire to go to college forced him to the small school route. But everyone saw his raw talent.

With that being said, I still would draft a corner early in the draft. As I said, I love AOA, another small school guy.

37. By 98CardsFan on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

With all the speculation on who would be available for the Cards with their 1st pick, how would someone like Dexter McCluster look to them? He is a Harvin type of player who could do so many things, returns, gadget plays, ect, would the Cards consider him? I know we have LSH, and at the beginning of the season will be more focused on running the ball than passing, but you have to think that whoever the QB will be that as the season goes on the playbook will open up more. So the question is: Would he be a valuable addition to what they do and what round might they have a shot at him?

38. By John on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Alex U
    I think we are on the same page with the first 4 picks, but differ in players. I would love to land Weatherspoon and Troop but I might like Thomas in the second better. I love AOA as my CB and would take him in the 3rd (even if I had to trade up.
    The one that puzzles me is Dakota Watson. I dont think he is stout enough to be a 3-4 OLB. I guess he could play inside and give us depth. If that is the thinking, I’m with you, since Hayes is getting older.

I’m on board on the next three. In the last post I asked about Kyle Williams from ASU, you must be a believer that he can return punts and play that 4th wr spot.
    Id be happy with most of this draft.

39. By CKersh on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

I think joe mcknight is a huge play maker, and a good change of pace back (hightower is just a bad beanie wells) couldn’t he return kicks/punts as well? I think if he is there late round 3 or 4 then why not. Can never have too many play makers.
    Any chance on the cards lookin at trading for ted ginn?

40. By Shannon Robinson on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

I think Sean Weatherspoon is a problem. He is a lot of mouth and it’s all random nonsense – me,me,me and the same cliches over and over again. A lot of coaches at the Combine walked away and said the kid never shuts up and they didn’t want him in their locker room. I say take Mt. Cody in the first round and give him to John Lott and Dominique Franks (CB & PR) in the second and you’ll find Sean Lee drops to us in the third. After that I’d be happy with Riley Cooper or Eric Decker for WR and hopefully Ulatovski or Beadles at OT. Kafka is a good late round QB.

41. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

John –

I’m not arguing that Toler is interesting. But you stated his stats like they should prove something, and I am saying be careful how much stock those hold unto themselves.

42. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

98Cards –

Again, I think they will look defense early and often.

43. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

CKersh –

But you have Stephens-Howling already. Why waste a pick on a similar player who won’t get a lot of playing time with Beanie and Hightower around?

44. By D D on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Noway cards take a TE first round. Defense defense defense. Darren do you think the cards d can improve as much as they need to in this offseason through fa and the draft? i liked dansby and rolle but i dont really care that they reached free agency. too much money and they werent that great. i like the porter pick up, and not really sure about rhodes.im hoping cody brown will pan out and he can stay injury free this year. what do you think?

45. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

High Tower is our pass protecter and like never drops a pass out of the back field. he may not be fast or as hard hitting as beanie, but he is smart adn has desire and isnt a DIVA.

All this talk of NT and ILB in our first pick. I think we will go a lil different because a really good player is gonna slide down to us just like beanie did. so, I think our first pick willbe either a WR or a DE, not OLB, straight DE. Just going by talent. I believe one of those two positions will offer us our best deal.

46. By alex u on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

AOA’s good, and yes we could get him in the 2nd round but, i am saying no to a CB that early. To me a CB on this team isn’t as huge of a deal as NT, ILB and another versitle LB. I want LB Donald Butler in the 2nd, i think he’s one of the most underrated players in this years draft, same goes with TE Dorin Dickerson who could be nice 3rd round pick, but if we do draft Dorin, then we would have 5 TE’s on the roster, and then Spach and Bryd would msot likely be cut if that happens. Another possibilty could be;

1st – NT Dan Williams, 2nd – LB Donald Butler, 3rd – LB Dekoda Watson
    3rd – TE Dorin Dickerson, 4th – CB A.J Jefferson, 6th – WR Kyle Williams,
    7th – QB Sean Canfield.

Honestly, right now i want Toler to be put in as the #2 CB, but if McFadden can just turn and look for the ball once and while (just once in the titans game holy jeez), or learn to do so somehow then he can be successful corner in this league. Signing Porter also really helps are secondary aswell, and drafting Dan Williams would do the same. And worried about Dekoda Watson’s size? he has the frame to bulk up, he was 235ilb’s during the season, i guess he lost some weight, but i wouldn’t worry about that since, he ran a 4.4, jumped a 40″ vertical and out benched players like Ricky Sapp and Daryl Washington and was only 1 rep off Kindle, that being said he’s an amazing athlete. Another player to look at is Brandon Spikes in the 3rd round he’s Gerald Hayes, so he would be a great back-up and future SILB. Anyway this is by far my biggest post on this blog by so i’ll end it by saying, 49′ers and there fans are a joke.

47. By alex u on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Brandon Spikes is LIKE Gerald Hayes, not is Gerald Hayes. woah

48. By Ctownbeatdown on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

IMO top five inside LBs in the draft
    1. Rolondo Mcclain
    2. Sean Witherspoon
    3. Sean Lee
    4. Pat Angerer
    5 Brandon Spikes

49. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

John

Your comment to Tom-

“Veldheer is a terrible 2nd rounded. He is rated as a 4-5th round pick. He is a guy who will fit into a Tony Dudgy cover two type defense. I would hate that pick for the cards.Especially at 2.”

J Veldeer is OT. Ranked #8 out of 42 on Scout.com

NFL.com lists JV as one of the top performers at OL during combine in:
    40-yard dash | Bench press | Vertical jump | Broad jump | 3-cone drill | 20-yard shuttle

Jared Veldheer
    Height:6’8″
    Weight:312 lbs.
    Arm Length:33 in.
    Hand Size:10 in.
    College:Hillsdale
    Conference:Great Lakes

If JV went to a major college program he would have got more pub. The Patriots and Ravens had him in for a visit. Someone will pick him up could be a work in progress.

50. By Former Steeler Fan on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

I don’t understand why some Cards fans continue to want mouthy troublemakers on the team e.g. T.O. (and, maybe Weatherspoon?).

Remember, Graves and Whiz have built a team that has character and don’t cause trouble. I would be shocked if they drafted or signed players who have a history of causing dissension or trouble.

51. By gordo on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

whats going to happend if deuce doesnt sign his tender..

52. By Mike B on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

okay here is mine I hope it is alright

1st. Weatherspoon
    2nd. Charles Brown (OT) if he is gone then Shipley (WR)
    3rd a. Pike (QB) or even Skelton (QB)
    3rd b. either Williams (WR) or the best CB (I dont think so on account of Toler to potentionally have a break our year plus McFadden is still here.
    4th. some ILB that Wiz has trust in
    6th. another OT if we didnt get one already
    7th. maybe another CB or MLB who ever is left on our draft boards.

53. By Mike B on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren- This is a random question but do you think the cards will be interested in Ginn not as the 4th reciever that would do special teams as well I mean Hyphen is a very good kick returner but I feel he can replace Breaston while Breaston replaces Boldin.
    Your thoughts? oh and I would like to see Doucet have more playing time do you think he can actually be the next Boldin?

54. By Jon L on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

A few years ago the cards traded up in the second round to grab Alan Branch, on draft day I loved the move but now I’m not so sure if it was a good idea. Do you see the cards making a similar move to grab someone like Cody this year?

55. By Billy Thomas on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I hate to bring this up again, but this begs the question. Is Tebow a possibility for the Cards? He is a QB that could drop into the 2nd or 3rd round. He seems like someone who could do something on the team, if not as a starting QB, then as a wildcat guy. I’m just wondering if this gives more creedance to the idea. Who else would Whisenhunt look for in the late 2nd or 3rd rounds?

56. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

DD –

I think time will tell. I think Dansby and Rolle were good players that got more than I would pay them, but it is naive to think their departure will not hurt. They need Cody Brown, but missing an entire year hurts.

57. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Gordo –

He will at some point. If he doesn’t sign it by mid-June, I believe, he risks losing the 2-plus million in salary because the Cards could drop the salary to under $600,000.

58. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Mike B –

I don’t know if Ginn is even a possibility.

59. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Jon L –

I’m not sold Cody is a good pick even if he is there when the Cards pick in the second round.

60. By darrenurban on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Billy –

Tebow isn’t coming to Arizona.

61. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

The Cards under Whiz continue to Stock pile the talent!!!!!

12 so far
    Year Round Pick Overall Pick Team Name Position College
    2008 1 16 16 Cardinals Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB Tennessee State
    2008 2 19 50 Cardinals *Calais Campbell DE Miami
    2008 3 18 81 Cardinals Early Doucet WR LSU
    2008 4 17 116 Cardinals Kenny Iwebema DE Iowa
    2008 5 16 149 Cardinals Tim Hightower RB Richmond
    2008 6 19 185 Cardinals Chris Harrington DE Texas A&M
    2008 7 18 225 Cardinals Brandon Keith OT Northern Iowa
    2007 1 5 5 Cardinals Levi Brown OT Penn State
    2007 2 1 33 Cardinals *Alan Branch DT Michigan
    2007 3 5 69 Cardinals Buster Davis ILB Florida State
    2007 5 5 142 Cardinals Steve Breaston WR Michigan
    2007 7 5 215 Cardinals Ben Patrick TE Delaware

Only 2 are on other teams.

Cards draft 28 under D Green:

2006 1 10 10 Cardinals Matt Leinart QB Southern Cal
    2006 2 9 41 Cardinals Taitusi Lutui OG Southern Cal
    2006 3 8 72 Cardinals *Leonard Pope TE Georgia
    2006 4 10 107 Cardinals Gabe Watson DT Michigan
    2006 5 9 142 Cardinals Brandon Johnson OLB Louisville
    2006 6 8 177 Cardinals Jonathan Lewis DT Virginia Tech
    2006 7 10 218 Cardinals Todd Watkins WR BYU
    2005 1 8 8 Cardinals Antrel Rolle CB Miami
    2005 2 12 44 Cardinals J.J. Arrington RB California
    2005 3 11 75 Cardinals Eric Green CB Virginia Tech
    2005 3 32 95 Cardinals Darryl Blackstock* OLB Virginia
    2005 4 10 111 Cardinals Elton Brown OG Virginia
    2005 5 32 168 Cardinals Lance Mitchell ILB Oklahoma
    2005 7 12 226 Cardinals LeRon McCoy WR Indiana (Pa.)
    2004 1 3 3 Cardinals Larry Fitzgerald WR Pittsburgh
    2004 2 1 33 Cardinals Karlos Dansby OLB Auburn
    2004 3 1 64 Cardinals Darnell Dockett DT Florida State
    2004 4 4 100 Cardinals Alex Stepanovich C Ohio State
    2004 5 3 135 Cardinals Antonio Smith DE Oklahoma State
    2004 6 2 167 Cardinals Nick Leckey C Kansas State
    2004 7 1 202 Cardinals John Navarre QB Michigan
    2003 1 17 17 Cardinals Bryant Johnson WR Penn State
    2003 1 18 18 Cardinals Calvin Pace DE Wake Forest
    2003 2 22 54 Cardinals Anquan Boldin WR Florida State
    2003 3 6 70 Cardinals Gerald Hayes ILB Pittsburgh
    2003 5 6 141 Cardinals Kenny King DT Alabama
    2003 6 4 177 Cardinals Reggie Wells OT Clarion
    2003 6 37 210 Cardinals Tony Gilbert OLB Georgia

7 key players still on Cards roster.

8 that were previous starters for the Cards.

13 non impact players at the NFL level.

62. By Nate on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

what about Jerry Hughes? are the cards looking at a pass rusher?

63. By Tanner on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

Hey darren-
    i know this is a bad idea but if the cards are looking for a QB in the draft maybe….why don’t they get big ben..he’s still a good QB no matter what goes on in his personal life

64. By Tanner on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

hey darren-
    what’s going on with darren sharper…..has cardinals even had thoughts about him??

65. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 15, 2010 | Reply

I am excited about the draft and all. but, I dunno. I would like to see the cards use their extra pick in the rd round to trade for another vet or even trade up in the first round. I also feel that our team needs more veteran leadership. I hope after the draft. We sign some more veteran FA. I would be happy with only starting 1 or 2 draft picks from this year and plug in some expirence to stay a playoff contender.

66. By Patrick Rodriguez on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Man I hope we get Jerry Hughes or Sergio Kindell in the draft we need a Pass Rusher.

My Dream Draft Round 1-3
    1. Jerry Hughes
    2. Thaddius Gibson
    3. Aaron Hernandez
    3. Corey Wooton

67. By rusty on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

darren i feel sorry for you sometimes!???? All these ridiculous ???????????? u have to answer. People a wr is on the bottom of rod graves list, he has already shoot and scored in that department!!!! Along with rb i think there pretty comfortable there too. Think D fense, tackle and linebacker not a tightend that comes later. CARD FANS we are changing, kurt is gone, running the ball and DDDDDDDDDDDD fense are the objective.

68. By Jeff Gollin on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

The team comment – that if Bradford, Suh or McCoy somehow magically fell to #26, the Cards would draft him – tells me that the Cards are continuing to utilize (and remain faithful to) some version of a BPA Board.

Regarding Veldeer, I think he’d definitely be considered by us at #58, #88 or #89 It depends on how our scouts rate him. (For what it’s worth, various scouting services rate him all over the lot. NFLDraftScouts rates him #9th OT – just above Saffold). Fanball rates him #10 – right behind Tony Washington, But USA Today projects him as a 6th rounder. He comes from a small program, but the Cards may build on their recent success with small school guys like Brandon Keith, Greg Toler or DRC.

69. By Wampag on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

D how about a little wager I say they grab Tebow if he is there, he is too big ben for Whiz to pass up (hopefully without the Inappropriateness)

I’d like a new jersey considering I have Boldin, Rolle and ML and I have a feeling anderson wins the job…not because I have doubts about ML I just think Anderson will thrive in our situation and I think the kid can play

70. By John on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

To Tom and Mr. Know it all;

I must apologize. I was reading to fast and made a mistake.
    I saw Jared Vandleer and in my mind thought I saw Verner. Some other post have been talking up UCLA’s CB Verner and my brain somehow processed Verner instead of Vandleer.What a mistake.

With that being said, I saw a piece on Vandleer and how he could be a very nice player. He is one of those small school gems.
    But I still dont like a Tackle early in this draft.

71. By D D on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren dont get me wrong its not that i dont think losing dansby and rolle will not hurt, i know they would cost to much thats why i was asking about rhodes. With losing them do you think the cards can still improve their d? let me see, only time will tell right?

72. By John on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Believe me, I’m not reading too much into stats with Toler. But being #1 in NCAA div 2 in passes defended is impressive.
    But you know I love this guy AOA in the second round or early 3rd (via trade) .
    All I’m saying is Toler has skills and put up huge numbers as a guy who really hasnt learned how to play corner. As we hit camp, it will be interesting to see if he can put it together and step up.
    I’m not saying cuz he put up numbers at St Pauls, he is the next Deion. But can he be a good #2 ? Thats when it gets interesting.

73. By CaRdS4LiFe on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

What i dont get is why we did not try and Replace Anquan Boldin and go after Bradndon Marshall, during free agents week.

Also Why dont we try and pick up Tim Tebow?

74. By cactus jeff on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

I think Cards biggest need is depth at DE, when Dockett was given a blow the defense suffered. Which DE in the draft fits the cards scheme the best?

75. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Nate –

Always possible.

76. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Tanner –

If you know it’s a bad idea …

I mean, did you read the police reports that became public yesterday? I don’t know any team that would touch Ben right now.

As for Sharper, why would they need him? Older, and they have Rhodes. Makes no sense.

77. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

DD –

Right. Impossible to know right now.

78. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

John –

Personally, I do think he can be a good No. 2. So do the Cards. I’m not sure it’ll be this year, but that was the plan all along.

79. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Cards4life –

Why would you trade for Marshall? You have a No. 1 (Fitz) and Marshall wasn’t going to be a No. 2. Plus the Cards aren’t going to throw the ball as much. This isn’t fantasy football. Too many people look at the “names” available and think every single one should be a target.

Tebow isn’t coming here.

80. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Cactus –

On that I have zero idea. He’s got to be a beefy guy, maybe even an undersized 3-4 tackle (like Dockett).

81. By Voice of Reason on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Two words. Brandon Graham (hoping he’s there)

82. By Voice of Reason on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

And if Graham isn’t there, you look at Terrance Cody.

Rod, don’t overthink this. The best defenses of the last ten years all had great nose tackles that had one very large thing in common: huge size.

I love Big Gabe, and I think he’ll be a solid starter in the league, but Cody will be an elite NT for ten years. You rotate he and Gabe in at that spot, with Branch playing end on run downs, and you seal off the up the middle runs.

83. By christian on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

whats up darrwen havent commented in a while. but who do u personally think we shud take in the draft?

84. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Christian –

I think they should go BPA on defense.

85. By Wampag on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

D- If tebow is available when the Cards pick comes i bet they draft him..I am so confident about this I bet you some nice Fillets all i want is a new Jersey thinking Rhodes

86. By trav111 on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

What about jason pierre paul?

87. By adam larson on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Know It All,

Did u leave off the 2009 draft for some reason? I do believe our starting RB came from the 2009 draft, u leaving 2009 off to wait another yr. to judge who is good and who is a bust???

I like all the people who have Kyle Williams from ASU in their lil mock drafts… Definitely a guy who can return punts and wouldn’t mind being a #4 or #5 WR on this team… Still hope that the 6 foot 3 ED GANT can become our 4th WR, tall and fast on the outside!

88. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Trav –

Don’t see it.

89. By Steve on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

What do you think the odds of us drafting Everson Griffen? he’s a monster

90. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Steve –

Not sure he fits here.

91. By Steve on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

What round do you think we will draft a left tackle? considering that Leinart is a lefty so Levi is fine where he is right now. But dont we have to consider that if derek anderson beats him out for the job lets say mid season. That we could really suffer at that position. Who do you think will start at left tackle? keith,bridges or think We’ll go free agent for a vet like Pace for the time being

92. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Steve –

I think they could look at O-line in the mid-to-late rounds.

93. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

adam larson

2009 – Arizona Cardinals
    Rd Sel # Player Position School
    1 31 Beanie Wells RB Ohio State
    2 63 Cody Brown DE Connecticut
    3 95 Rashad Johnson DB Alabama
    4 131 Greg Toler DB St. Paul’s (VA)
    5 167 Herman Johnson G Louisiana State
    6 204 Will Davis LB Illinois
    7 240 LaRod Stephens-Howling RB Pittsburgh
    7 254 Trevor Canfield G Cincinnati

In a previous blog I talked about players who have been in the system.

Solid work for B Wells running over defenses and Stephens-Howling shined on KR, the only 2 that really got playing time both RB’s. The running attack was ranked in the bottom of the league but when you have HOF K Warner and that WR corp you throw the ball. With the changes I see the Air Attack mix in more Run and a High Pressure Defense. The 09 Draft Class looks to be a part of the transition.

But we have to wait and see.

T. Canfield is on another roster.

94. By darrenurban on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Mr. Know –

Actually, Canfield was released by the Seahawks today, coincidentally.

95. By Scott H on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Maybe we are just short of real news or interesting things to talk about…because I can’t figure out how or WHY Ben Rothelisberger should be part of any discussion pertaining to the Cardinals right now! I wonder…are these the same people who couldn’t let the McNabb thing go??? Must be something about QB’s from Pennslyvania, I guess. Why would the Cardinals even consider touching him right now with all the trouble swirling around him??? He can’t seem to keep himself out of trouble and even if he escapes the legal system, there are still team or league sanctions that could lead to suspension. He’s trouble walking…let him be someone else’e headache.

96. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Do we call T Canfield a non impact player or the first Draft Bust under the Whiz era??

Was he the BPA?

TC never saw the field but still eligible for some teams practice squad.

All teams experience the Hit and Miss.

The Good news is the Cards have drafted quality players with good character.

97. By Cardinals Fan on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

Why not draft jevon snead ?

98. By Noah O on Apr 16, 2010 | Reply

The cardinals should look at arizona rattlers qb Nick Davila.
    hes a great player, he just needs a chance.

99. By John on Apr 17, 2010 | Reply

Please, I been a Rams fan for years. Still like them BUT am Cardinals too. So, PLEASE, dont even think of Mark Bulger..The number one reason for Rams failures.. He has no motivation in him.. Sad, talent is there, but hes not a leader.. I couldnt find anywere else to post a comment so I used this.. Go Cardinals. John

100. By Javy on Apr 17, 2010 | Reply

do you beleive that if Colt McCoy is brave enough to step up and make his arm better that he can be a cardinal??

101. By Todd on Apr 17, 2010 | Reply

Todd’s mock Cardinals draft (or Todd’s wish list!)

Round 1 Weatherspoon ILB Missouri (just the kind of high energy LB in the mold of Patrick Willis the Cards need)

Round 2 Rob Gronkowski TE Arizona (this guy is local and going to be a star. Don’t blow it Cardinals. Pick him!)

Round 3 Dan LeFevour QB Central Michigan (led NCAA’s in many stats)

Round 3 Al Woods DT LSU (mammoth DT and run stuffer)

Round 4 Kevin Thomas CB USC (SC knows how to produce pros)

Round 6 Myron Rolle SS Florida State (we can get this Rolle a lot cheaper)

Round 7 Kyle Williams WR ASU (local product and the Cards need s speed burner at WR. He runs the 40 in 4.4)

102. By words of wisdom on Apr 17, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you think the cardinals would be interested in Trevor Canfield now that he’s available? and how many years does Reggie Wells have left on his contract?

103. By darrenurban on Apr 17, 2010 | Reply

Words –

Canfield is possible. As for Wells, he is signed through 2011.

104. By jason on Apr 18, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do you think the Cards maybe interested in trading for Gaither from the Ravens.

105. By darrenurban on Apr 18, 2010 | Reply

Jason –

No. I don’t see Gaither being an option. I think the price would be too high when the Cards think they can develop one of their young guys.

106. By Scappose Joe on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Don’t worry about drafting a QB.You already have a good one.Derek Anderson

2. Apr 16, 2010: Cardinals’ 2010 Draft Update » Cardinals Gab