Building two draft boards

Posted by Darren Urban on April 19, 2010 – 1:50 pm

Always there is talk about taking “best player available” versus “need” in a draft. During today’s pre-draft press conference, GM Rod Graves and coach Ken Whisenhunt talked about the two draft boards the team builds — and within that explanation, a tangible idea of what the Cards do emerged.

The Cardinals spend a couple weeks building out their main board. On it, players are rated “primarily for their potential in the NFL.” That board assesses players based on a grading scale of 1-100, with 100 being the highest. That board has already been built for the 2010 draft. The front office, coaches and scouts have moved on to the second board: The top 120.

That board (done since Dennis Green was head coach) takes into consideration the Cardinals’ needs and how each player fits the Cards’ schemes. For instance, Whisenhunt said, they could have a player who has the fifth overall grade out of all the players, but on the 120 board the Cards may have him 12th or 13th because that player’s skill set doesn’t fit as well what the Cardinals are trying to do. Does that mean the Cards ignore a talented player? No, and the higher grade a player has the more weight they must give to at least consider him when the team is on the clock and such a player is available. Whisenhunt said often, the Cards are looking for the player that gives “the greatest margin of improvement” for the team, a phrase he credited to Graves. “This system has worked well for us,” Whisenhunt said.

– Whisenhunt said it is difficult to judge nose tackles, not only because few tackles play a straight nose in college but also because if they have weight issues, it’s impossible to know how they will deal with such things on the professional level. “Just because you’re 6-foot-3, 330 pounds doesn’t mean you can play nose,” Whisenhunt said.

– Graves said he could see the Cards moving up in the draft (and actually sounded more enthusiastic about the possibility than in years past) and noted the extra third-round pick helps in that regard. That said, I still doubt the Cards move up. I still think moving back — even out of the end of the first round — is more likely.

– Graves and Whisenhunt said they split the final decision in the draft room, but agreed one of the reasons they do so much prep work is to avoid conflicts on draft day. Whisenhunt said there haven’t been any since he arrived, and listening to Graves, it sure sounded like he defers to his coach when it’s close. “He’s trying to build a winner out there and keep that sustained,” Graves said. “We’ve got to do the things we need to do in order to support that. In order for me to establish any sort of objection, it has to be really out of bounds, and that will never happen.”

Tags: , , ,

57 Responses to “Building two draft boards”

1. By Chris B on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

I couldn’t watch it live, will this video but up soon?

2. By John on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Very interesting to think they might move up. I wonder what player would cause them to make such a move? Obviously, they wont tell us, but there must be someone(s) who they would value that would cost an extra pick to get.
    I would think if Rolando McClain somehow fell past the Giants at 15, they may come up. Maybe Brandon Graham at around 18, before the Falcons pick at 19. Or maybe the offensive line stuff (no 1st round picks) is a smoke screen and they come up to get Maurkice Pouncey. Or If Dan Williams also falls out of the top 15, they could go get him.
    Although I love Sean Weatherspoon, I would only jump over the Eagles to go get him.

Darren (or anyone else) Do you have an educated guess( I know you have no access) at who might be that special player(s) they would move up to get?

3. By Andre on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Where is the draft preview part 2?

4. By sergio on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    what position do you believe to be our biggest need? And what player would you take to fill that need that might be available come our pick?

5. By darrenurban on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Chris B —

ASAP.

6. By darrenurban on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Andre —

It’ll be posted tomorrow and part three will be posted Wednesday.

7. By darrenurban on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

John —

Again, I don’t think they will. Maybe a good ILB or NT. They won’t move up for an OLB because there are too many available. And again, I don’t think it’ll happen at all.

8. By darrenurban on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Sergio —

I think it’s clear ILB and NT are the biggest needs. As far as who I’d take, it’s just too hard to know who will be there at 26.

9. By alex u on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Man do i want Dan Williams, i would be estatic. And yeah don’t see us moving up in the 1st unless, there are indications of Williams/Weatherspoon being picked by a team. I see us moving up our 2nd though for LB Daryl Washington. Wouldn’t that be soemthing, Dan Williams and Daryl Washington, oh yes.

10. By DHALL on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Any talk in the front office about possibly going after Jeremiah Trotter? Could be a good addition, a tad older but still in good health. Good round table chat video!!

DHALL

11. By darrenurban on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

DHall —

Trotter isn’t an option. Too old at this point, and more of a 4-3 guy I’d think.

12. By mclark on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

I want Jerry Hughes! and mount cody in the second.

13. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

McClain has to be what they would move up for. Anything else, we could move down for more depth with just as talented of players. Whatever happens, this draft is essential to our team this year, without Warner, without Boldin or Dansby. Rhodes was an improvement and Joey fills the veteran leadership role we lost with Dansby and Warner. but its gonna be up to the young guys to bring it home for us.

14. By John on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

After yet another trade, (Ernie Sims 3 way trade), any indications that the cards are interested in any players currently on other rosters via trade?
    Any rumors or talk at all in this area? I know teams keep it quiet, but any spectulations between any of you cardinals insiders?
    I feel good about the current roster going into the draft, but what if a name like Urlacker surfaced. Would there be intrest?

15. By John on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

If Dan Williams fell into that 18-26 range, I think we would need to offer a 3 to move up and grab him.

As I said before, There are only 4 guys who seem like guys who can play a tradition 3-4 NT in the draft. Mt Cody, Williams , Troop and Cam Thomas. With need, guys get moved up draft boards.We might need to strike early.

16. By darrenurban on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

John —

The Bears aren’t going to move Urlacher. He’s the face of the franchise and after the dreadful defensive year they had in many ways, they are going to want to keep him. I haven’t heard any trade talks, and I don’t expect them to chase many veterans if any.

17. By kreagan on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

It’s good to see the Cardinals in a position to take the best player available and not have to worry about rushing him onto the field. Porter improves our pass rush but we need to get a run stopper.

18. By Billy Thomas on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Do you believe the Cardinals are in a position this year to move down? After all of the people we lost this offseason, it seems hard to believe we could, but we did fill alot of the spots with good players. Do you think they could get more value by moving more picks into the 2nd-4th rounds than having the one 1st round pick? I mean, it’s not everyday that someone like Beanie falls as far as he did last year, and it seems we need more developing defensive players than one specific guy at a position. Just wondering what your thoughts are.

19. By John on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Urlacker was just a name I threw out there, but what about a more realistic possibility?
    Barrett Ruud is a resticted free agent, and as far as I know, is still unsigned.
    Tampa,who needs weapons for that young QB, needs more draft picks and we need an ILB.
    Is that thinking too big, or could you see the cards dealing for Ruud?
    I know, with trading for him comes a big contract and giving up draft picks, but proven players seem so much safer than draft picks.

I dont know how I feel about something like that, I’m just throwing it out there since there has been alot of trades and spectulation of many more.

20. By darrenurban on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Billy —

If you think you can get the same player you were going to take at 26 at 34 or 35, why not? You don’t move down until you are on the clock of course, to make sure you don’t miss out on a player you want.

21. By darrenurban on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

John —

I just don’t see it happening now. After the draft maybe? But again, if you were willing to do something, you would have offered an RFA a contract in the first place, right?

22. By John on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Maybe, (see Brandon Marshall)

23. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Ruud has a first and third round tender attached, which equals too much.
    If the Cards wre going to after a RFA ILB, how about Dqwell Jackson of the Browns? He was only offered a second round tender.
    But then again, if he was only tendered a second, there has to be a reason, and he was hurt the latter part of last season.

24. By John on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Brandon Marshall was tendered a first round pick. Did he go for a 1st ?

I would give up a 2 and 4 for Rudd.
    Then trade down into the second, picking back up a 4 and drafting NT Cam Thomas, Then, I would trade back up into the 2nd/early 3rd to get CB AOA (PR also). Then finish off the third with Tackle/Guard John Jerry.

Just a thought

25. By PRH on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Just finished watching the 1st segment of the Draft Preview with you, Wolf, Dave, and Paul. Great video. I wish it was longer and I wish you guys would do more of this type of stuff. I think everybody would love to see more, hopefully good feedback will help. Anyway, thanks for that and hope to see more in the future.

26. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Maybe it’s me, but when a team trades down(whether the NFL or NBA draft) it gives me the impression they weren’t prepared, true or not.

27. By Scott H on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Any word on what is happening with Deuce and / or Bryan Robinson??? Are they both tendered players? I know Deuce is. What’s the hold up??? Are they un-happy with their offers and hoping for something better? To your knowledge, has there been any interest in either player? And, what eventually happens with this process? Is it time-limited? Does it reach a point where they become FA’s if they haven’t signed with the Cardinals or anyone else by a certain date?

28. By Matt H on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Darren, I don’t know if you’re still checking, but is the Whiz/Graves interview working properly? I can’t get it to load on any browsers I have.

29. By alex u on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

why we talking about trades? we have 4 draft picks within the first 3 round, we’re good. If we dont fill a need after the draft and there is nobody we like in FA, then obviously trades could and should happen.

30. By PRH on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

One more thing Darren. This Whiz/Graves draft press conf. video earlier today (4/19), while posted, doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve tried several times over the last 3 hrs and it never begins. All the other vids work fine. Can you let someone know. I never got to see it. Thx.

31. By darrenurban on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

AndyStands —

That’s odd. It just tells me they don’t like who is available at the time they pick, at least not more than the idea of getting something in return.

32. By darrenurban on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

Robinson is unrestricted. My guess is nothing will happen with him until after the draft, both because the Cards will see what they get on draft day and because, frankly, the sooner he signs, the sooner he has to work in the offseason. Many long-time vets are run down after a year and they know what it takes to prepare. If they don’t sign, they don’t necessarily have to go back to work right away. And there’s always the chance Robinson is considering retirement too.

As for Deuce, he’s basically locked into the Cards this season, although until he signs his tender, he doesn’t have to come in.

33. By Shannon Robinson on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Guys and Gals, there’s only six slots open on the fifty three man roster and we have seven draft choices so there’s no place to put another quality player through trade or free agency without letting one of your core players go. Are you going to cut Reggie Walker or Herman Johnson? I hope we draft Cody Grimm in the seventh round and he makes the practice squad.

34. By alex u on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

John what is up with you in AOA, I don’t think he’ll even play CB in the NFL, he’ll play FS or SS. And again id rather not have a CB that high. Unless we get our NT and ILB in round 1 and 2, then trade our 3rd up for an early 3rd to get AOA then im fine with that, but again i think he should play FS.

35. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

AndyStandsUp

D Jackson had a monster 2008 for Cleveland.

Yr Team G Solo Ast Tot Sack YdsL Int Yds IntTD PD
    08 Clev 16 95 59 154 2 11 3 29 0 6

Yes injuries cost DJ 10 games sparing him the on field mess in 09 but as per several players the Browns coach E Mangini did not get the team on the same page till late when they won their last 4 games. Bring in M Holmgren and things are changing in Cleveland. The fact that DJ was tendered shows the GM is going to wait and see how he plays in 2010 before offering any contract ext.

36. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Yeah Alex, I’m with you in thinking AOA will be a safety eventually, but in the meantime, can be brought up a corner like Rolle.
    What’s the thought process on Chris Cook, he’s above prototypical size and would be a great late rounder if Wilson or McCourty doesn’t go first round.

37. By John on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

Alex U,
    Yes, in that scenerio, we trade for Ruud, trade down and get Thomas, then trade up for AOA.

Why I like him- I think it is rare for a guy to have size (6′ 207lbs) and speed (4.32 40) along with the ability to press and play off.He has long limbs and He has great hips and is a ballhawk. He is just raw. Given the right coaching and opportunity he could be a pretty good corner. But at worst, he ends up a safety . After watching 5 foot 9 inch adams and brown, we need a little size and athletisism in our secondary after the starting 4.

As for the trades, I was just throwing it out as a discussion. I dont think I make a trade, but a guy like Ruud would make me think.

38. By ben on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

why dont the cards think about moving wilson to line backer and draft another freak safety like mays from sc

39. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 19, 2010 | Reply

alex u

AOA is a ball hawk and S is an option for the CB/KR/PR.

http://www.NFL.com 2010 Combine Overview states:

“Owusu-Ansah is an outstanding player at the division II level that will need to make the transition to the talent in the NFL. He is an athletic defender that can play as a rolled up corner in cover two or possible a safety in the box. Owusu-Ansah has excellent instincts and ball skills to maintain leverage as a run defender as well as making plays in the passing game. He is as solid rap tackler and can contribute on coverage units (special teams) as well as being an excellent return specialist at this level. Owusu-Ansah is a prospect that may take a year or two to make the jump to the next level but has the raw athleticism, attitude and measurables to develop into a solid NFL player.”

By Chris Steuber
    Scout.com NFL Draft Analyst
    Posted Sep 22, 2009

“At the Division II level this season, Indiana University of Pennsylvania cornerback Akwasi Owusu-Ansah has drawn comparisons to Arizona Cardinals playmaker Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who was a Division I-AA prospect at Tennessee State during the 2008 NFL Draft. Rodgers-Cromartie elevated his status from a third round prospect to an eventual first round prospect after a strong showing at the Senior Bowl and the Scouting Combine. And if all goes well for Owusu-Ansah this year, he could do the same during the ’10 draft.”

Hey

C Stueber

Rd 1 maybe but no doubt some time April/23rd we’ll see his name called.

Is AOA on the way?

I think G Toler has a similar skill set plus GT loves to tackle. Remember in the Pre-Season last year against the Chargers GT put a bone jarring hit on the 245lb FB that had caught a flare pass running full speed and GT dropped him _BANG!!!!_ no further gain. That’s what I’m talkin bout!!!!!.

40. By Dan on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Just get a 1 stud DE/OLB and I’ll be happy, 2 and I’ll have to change my shorts. I’m all for taking the best player available in the 1st rd as well be that it may be a NT or ILB but my gut still says take the best outside pass rusher, I know its a deep draft in that position but its still rare to find a stud OLB/DE and you all know who is on my list. I’d like to see Greg Hardy taken in the 2nd rd if we draft ILB or NT in the 1st, still want Brandon Graham/Derrick Morgan or Everson Griffen in the 1st….we will see, take one of those three if available and I’ll be satisfied. C’mon, years of watching football and knowledge I consider myself an expert, I rarely miss the boat.

41. By matt m on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

ben,
    not a horrible idea, but wilson is a proven vet and basically already plays LB. plus, taylor mays will most likely play LB in the NFL anyways and doesnt have the coverage skills to be an NFL safety. but boy can he hit people…

42. By Jerrytown on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Ben –

If you wanted to do that why wouldn’t you draft Mays and play him at linebacker instead of Wilson? Why would you want to move one of the best safeties in the NFL and make him learn a new position at the later stages in his career? Not only that, but with the depth at linebacker in the draft, why not draft a linebacker to play linebacker? Safety and linebacker are two very different positions and it’s rare for someone, like Thomas Davis, to make the switch.

43. By alex u on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

AOA would be an amazing NCB, with his speed, and power/strength, he could be a great blitzing CB, but for how long would he like to be the NO.3 CB? But yeah you’re right he could definitally play on the outside with a year of work. Chris Cook can’t tackle and beching only 7 reps didn’t help him so even though he has the size aswell for FS, he’s a CB. I say we keep our CB’s as DRC, Toler, McFadden and Adams for one more year, McFadden only has 1 more year on his contract anyway, Toler could become a great NO.2 CB and personally i want to see if McFadden can bounce back, it’s his last year of his contract, he’s pretty much playing for money, and he’s got alot to prove to us.

44. By Michael from stl on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

I know we already have good recievers and all and how much doucet progressed over the playoffs, but i say we address another wide reciever in the later round like 4th or 5th and there is a good reciever who is going to be waiting to get picked up and thatis Danrio Alexander, he is a 6’5 reciever that can replace boldin with speed and height, he can really make plays too. He had over 100 receptions almost 1800 yards and 14 touchdowns this guy is down right amazing when he has a chance to get the ball in his hands i hope the cards look at him and what do they have to lose?

45. By Michael from stl on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

good job on improving the web page i dont have to highlight stuff to read it anymore

46. By Michael from stl on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Also, he put up better numbers than J Mac and i know Maclin hasnt done all that much for the Eagles….yet but he is going to play a big piece in that offense next year, alexander would fill the 4th reciever spot for us and take alot of pressure of fitz because now with boldin gone other teams defense can put more men on him and take their chances with our other recievers.

47. By Eazy E on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

What about Thomas Howard or Kirk Morrison of the Oakland Raiders? This joke of a franchise and laughing stock of the NFL, puts a 3rd round tender on Kirk Morrison??? And a 2nd round tender on Thomas Howard, and they said they’ll take something less than that, they just want something. So two pro-bowl caliber ILBs available for a 3rd. Pull that trigger quick! Kirk or Thomas alongside G hayes. It don’t matter which one to me, they both beasts. We have 2 3’s anyway.

48. By Mike"Pay Q" on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

How many times does Rod Graves need to say the Cards have ZERO interest in Morrison or Howard? Come on!! I guess some people think the Cards should still go after Mcnabb too?

49. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

BEN,
    I say lets move dockett to strong side ILB and Wilson to WILB that would be a freakin duo. hahaha. I actually do that on madden and put the older guys on the line. it works out pretty well. when we had Rolle he was more of a strang safety than a safety anyways. Id agree with that. Taylor Mays isnt a good choice to fill strong safety though, SS is like QB of the defense on our team and that void has to have a captaina nd leader like Wilson. good idea though.

50. By Justin001 on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Draft Preview Part Deux – When?

Justin

51. By darrenurban on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Justin —

Later today.

52. By John on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Shannon,
    I hate to break it to you, but guys who are on the team are going to get cut. If you have a chance to bring in better players and then cut lessor players, you do it.

Michael,
    Teams already roll their coverages towards Fitz and try to take him out of the game. Teams know Fitz’s big catches ignite the team and he faces coverages under and over on almost every down. Doucet and Breaston need to make teams pay (like they have) when teams roll up on Fitz. This is a deep year at WR. I think we will see some quality WR’s drop to the 4th 5th and 6th rounds.

53. By Mark Sequeira on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

My top picks – AZ Cardinals 2010:

OL: Real need but O-Line develops slowly and rarely is there a first-year impact. So this would be filling a longer term need/developmental player,
    still I like Vladimir Ducasse, Mass. if he is around or of course, or Anthony Davis, Rutgers

Got OG, Rex Hadnot off free agency.

LB: Lost Karlos Dansby. Rolando McClain, Alabama. 2-3rd rounds? Brandon Spikes, Florida or even later, Mike McLaughlin, Boston College. Maybe convert a Ricky Sapp, Clemson or Brandon Sharpe, Texas Tech?

OLB: Signed Joey Porter…Sean Weatherspoon, MIssouri, if still there or Donald Butler, Wash., but wouldn’t mind seeing us draft Eric Norwood, S.C. as my third choice or Koa Misi, Utah later.

(I’d be happy with 2-3 LBs this draft.)

D-Line: Cam Thomas, N. C. if he is around. Dan Williams, Tenn., or Tyson Alualu, Cal.

BTW, can we get someone to rush the passer please?! (besides safeties?)

S: Have Adrian Wilson and now Kerry Rhodes, (as well as Matt Ware) Take Eric Berry but don’t move up. Maybe Taylor Mays, USC but I wouldn’t take him above an available Rolando McClain, Vladimir Ducasse or a Cam Thomas.

WR: Maybe a Riley Cooper, Florida, or Jordan Shipley, Texas but not in the first round. Later, a Freddie Barnes, Bowling Green or Chris McGaha, Ariz State or Blair White, Michigan State.

CB: Pick ‘em late. Maybe a Walter McFadden, Auburn; Walter Thurmond, Ore. or Kareem Jackson, Alabama.

Already have DRC and McFadden, Toler and Adams and Rashad Johnson but need another 1-2 picks to compete.

54. By Scott H on Apr 20, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Thanks. Very enlightening, as always. So…if Robinson does retire, does that mean that the Cardinals are leading the league in retirements??? My gosh, anyone else??? That said, wouldn’t it be kinda strange for a guy to wait this long ( or even longer??? ) to retire? I mean, if you KNOW you’re hanging it up, what’s the point of waiting until the spring or summer? Than again…Brett Favre might not make up his mind until Labor Day weekend, but we should be used to that by now! Not that I care what the Vikings do, but I really can’t believe they are letting him play this game AGAIN!

55. By cards62 on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

I do not think we should move up as I like having 4 picks in the first 3 rounds because we do have several needs, and this is a deep draft with all of the underclassmen. We waited longer last year and drafted Beanie Wells and I am very pleased with this pick so lets not move up and maybe even down a little if we can get 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. I see our needs as NT, LB, TE, CB, OL, and hope we do not draft a QB before the 6th round if at all. He may turn out to be a bust, but I like Jevon Sneed out of Ole Miss.
    Go Cards !!!

56. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

I have viewed many a mock draft but WTF.

“Updated Apr 21, 2010 7:29 AM ET
    Peter Schrager is a frequent contributor for FOXSports.com.”

Peter your 7rd mock draft makes no sense with regards to the AZ CARDS.

Rd 1
    26. ARIZONA CARDINALS
    Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame

Rd2
    58. Arizona Cardinals — Koa Misi, LB, Utah

Rd3
    88. Arizona Cardinals — Dorin Dickerson, TE, Pittsburgh
    89. Arizona Cardinals — Ed Wang, OT, Virginia Tech

Rd4
    123. Arizona Cardinals — Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss

Rd6
    195. Arizona Cardinals—Darian Stewart, S, Mississippi State

Rd7
    233. Arizona Cardinals—Robert Johnson, S, Utah

Peter “Shrugger” I’m so glad you are not a personnel guy for the Cards. You would be fired!!!!

A QB with Cards first pick? Cards already Paid Matt
    first round money.

Misi was hurt most of his college career.

Dorin D. could be a solid pick. But we have 4 TE already.

Ed W at OT? Cards have the O-linemen they need.

Greg H. at DE? Often injured in college missed games last 2 seasons.

2 more at the Safety pos. The Cards have more S than they can carry on the Roster now!!!!

And plus what about NT for the Cards 3-4 defense.

Peter must not like the Cards, or he is just throwing names out there!!!!

57. By James on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Ok,it’s the day before the draft and for weeks I have been hearing people talk about the Cards drafting Weatherspoon.I live in St. Louis and have followed the Missouri Tigers for a long time.I’ve seen Weatherspoon play and I was not that impressed.He is not worthy of the Cards taking him at #26.Futhermore I will be VERY UPSET if the Cards do take him in the 1st round!Of all the players that have been rumored to go at #26 he’s the last one that I want to see taken.