• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Making a mockery of the draft

Posted by Darren Urban on April 21, 2010 – 3:04 pm

OK, after much work — and in the end, I’m sure most of it is wrong — I’ve put together my mock first round for tomorrow’s draft. If there are any trades, all bets are off, and even if there aren’t any trades, don’t be betting anyway. This is strictly for fun and amusement, likely your amusement in making fun of me tomorrow night.

It’s difficult to get a handle on what will happen even at the top of the draft, and anytime you are sliding the Raiders in the top 10, that tends to blow everything up anyway. In it, I have the Cards taking linebacker Daryl Washington from TCU (Weatherspoon and Dan Williams are off the board by then, as are Jerry Hughes and Sergio Kindle. And I think there are reasons to like Washington regardless).

No, I don’t have Tim Tebow going in the first round. I have Jimmy Clausen going to San Francisco. I have five linemen among the first six picks. And I have a scenario in which the Cards could end up trading out of the first round to add picks (but no one, like a Rolando McClain for instance, dropping far enough that would make the Cards want to trade up).

So take it for what it’s worth. Again, not sure it’s much. It’s about the effort — right?

Tags: , , , , ,

69 Responses to “Making a mockery of the draft”

1. By William on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Okay, here we go.

a) Highly unlikely that Anthony Davis will fall to #27
    b) Jerry Hughes just won’t go that high.
    c) McCourty>Jackson at CB

Other than that, I have no big issues with this mock draft.

2. By darrenurban on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

William –

All that, I understand. But every year, there is at least one guy who goes high who everyone says was never going to go that high. Why can’t it be Hughes?

3. By robert on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

look for the cards to either trade up or get jimmy clausen that would be nice! if they do not jerry hughes of TCU would fit nicely. also we need another WR in the 3rd round depth is not that good as it was in the past

4. By William on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

It just seems to me like they would take Sergio Kindle or Jason Pierre-Paul over him in a heartbeat. They come from bigger colleges, too.

Maybe I’m just hoping he’s available when Arizona picks.

Of course, I meant no offense :)

5. By carlo7000 on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

darren
    i really like your mock draft..washington is a bit underated but is a very talented player and for sure he will fill our need..but dont you think he need to get stronger to play at next level…he is just 230

6. By Mark on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren great job on the mock draft, but I think it is too good. You know some team or teams will have a head scratcher pick in the first round, which will hopefully let some stud fall into the cards hands like Beanie Wells did last year. For the cards sake I can only hope.

7. By darrenurban on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Mark –

As I said before, something will monkey-wrench it. Heck, last year I though Donald Brown was coming here because I never thought the Colts would take a running back. If Big Ben is traded to the Raiders, well, that would change things, wouldn’t it? Mock drafts are a conversation piece, but they have zero chance of being even mostly right. Too many variables.

8. By Justin Wheeler on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

I agree with your mock draft as much as any other mock draft, I think there are better odds in filling out a collge basketball bracket in March than corectly picking what teams will do during the draft.
    I also hope things don’t work out as well for the other NFC West teams as they do in your draft.
    What is your philosophy on drafting for position need or talent. For me, I have always thought it best for a team to go for the top talent early, especially if they have a top 15 pick, and adress needs later on in the draft. But I can also see how that wouldn’t always work, seeing as drafting a linebacker in the 3rd or 4th round doesn’t always produce a consistent starter.

9. By Wampag on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

D c’mon a little wager I say they get Tebow you say no

10. By darrenurban on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Justin –

I think in the end it’s got to be on a case-by-case basis. To me, need and talent have to intersect at a decently high level for any player. The thing is, usually there is enough talent rated closely enough that you can get a guy with a good grade at a position of need as much as another position. Sometimes, there’s a stud sitting there at a position you don’t “need” and then you have to pause. But that rarely happens.

11. By cardsfan on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

If it comes down to that I would rather see us trade down and pick up a few more picks. I think Washington is a nice player but as a first round pick it probably is a bit of a reach.

Darren, who would be your pick, Weatherspoon or Kindle? I’m not including Dan Williams or McClain since I don’t see any way they drop to 26. I personally like Kindle since I think he’ll be a big time player even though Weatherspoon would fill a bigger need.

12. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren

No Rd 2-7

No need it’s the final count down to the 2010 Draft.

The mock’s out there are all over the place, but now it’s for real!!!!!!

Go get em Cards!!!!!!

13. By darrenurban on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Cardsfan –

I can’t pretend to know enough about the two. All I know is what I read. I read Kindle may have underachieved. I read Weatherspoon may be a little too cocky. I know both are expected to go in the first round.

Let’s assume both have similar grades. Unless you suddenly don’t like the Cody Brown pick last year, I think you have to take Weatherspoon.

14. By CMacyn on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren- Are we getting new uni’s. Lets hope for a black uni.

15. By darrenurban on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn –

Gotta show up at the draft party tomorrow to see. Or tune in to our draft party live stream on the web site.

16. By Rich on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Nice job…………..
    Rich

17. By CMacyn on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren- Alright then thanks.

18. By William on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Out of curiosity, do you know about about what they’re announcing tommorow?

19. By fitz 4 mt rushmore on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren are you going to provide us a link for the live stream of the draft paty for us out-of-towners?

20. By Con-man on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

I watched Weatherspoon play during his whole Missouri career, and while he’s got incredible athletic ability, I have serious questions about his fit in the locker room.

He talks more than any college football player I’ve ever seen, even when he’s not backing up his talk. And when things went south for Missouri last season, he disappeared. He’s the kind of guy who could divide a locker room with his attitude, even as a rookie.

He seems to be the polar opposite of a Ken Whisenhunt-type of player.

21. By Jesse Robles on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

I wonder if they are bringing the Arizona Flag back to the Uniforms? That would be really cool being born and raised here, fan forever. Watch out for our defense next year, gonna get crazy around here, totally different game, I love it.

22. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

all I know. is last year. before the season was even over. like half way. I told my buddy. damn that linebacker from Alabama would just be at home here. seriously. trade the F up. DRC. BEANIE. MCCLAINE!!!!
    come on!!! please!!!!!!

23. By CARDSFAN1178124 on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Washington is the guy I’ve wanted all along! I hope it works out, he was a man among boys at TCU. Perfect fit for the Cards. CHIRP CHIRP

24. By Eazy E on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Don’t get on Darren too much, mock drafts are impossible to predict. Daryl Washington is good, but would have taken mt. cody in that situation, because weatherspoon is gone, kindle, hughes, graham,williams, and clausen. Mt. Cody is my pick though.

25. By Ctownbeatdown on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

i never would have thought the raiders would have taken dhb that high over crabtree. you never know. i don’t think hughes kindle or witherspoon will be there.

26. By Big D on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

black and red uni’s would be fire

27. By Nicholas Babcock on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

The Arizona Cardinals are going to annouce a special third jersey tomorrow at there draft party that they are gong to use during one pre season game, and two games during the regular season.

28. By Nate on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

GET JERRY HUGHES!!!!

29. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Agree with the first poster that Hughes won’t go that quickly, Davis won’t fall that far. Also, don’t see SF going after Clausen when they need OL and wouldn’t Bryant/Crabtree be a sweet Boldin/ Fitz copy?
    If Cody is there(and if not SD will take him 2 spots later to replace Jammal Williams)the Cards are going to feel “pressure” to pick Terrence.

And Somers has let the cat outta the bag.

30. By darrenurban on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

William –

I might.

31. By darrenurban on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Fitz 4 –

Yes, but it’ll be easy to find: Just go to the main draft page. http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/draft-2010.html

32. By darrenurban on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Eazy –

Cody won’t be the pick. Not in the first round.

33. By Tbru on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

My mock draft

The Raiders will do something that makes no sense
    The Jets fans will boo whoever their first pick is
    The Cardinals will get very high marks for an excellent draft
    Tebow to Jacksonville in the 3rd round

34. By Deveau on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

I have to disagree with your 1st round pick for AZ in Washington, no disrespect to him as an athlete, but us taking him at 26 is a reach.

Before taking him I would take:
    Taylor Mays – S (I know, a safety, but if he falls to us, crazy not to take him. He has 271 tackles and 5 interceptions for his career.)

Devin McCourty -CB (CB is a need, although not the first need, however, he also is a special teams guy: runs a 4.38 40, 80 tackles, 6 interceptions, and 10 passes defended in his career.)

Anthony Davis – T (I would prefer to address defense with the 1st pick, however, I refuse to reach. A stud T is never a bad thing, and he is 6’5 323# of tackle. Allowed 6.5 sacks and 8 hurries in 699 passing plays in his career)

And no, I’m not a Rutgers fan, just pointing out quality players. Well, my $.02.

Cris

35. By Skiptim on Apr 21, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Not even talking about the secret tomorrow, because if it is a new jersey, I don’t know if it is a new design but… is there a chance that the old jerseys are brought back for an occasional wear? I think it would be really cool seeing them play in the ones before these current ones, and I think a LOT of people would like that.

36. By Dan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I would draft Everson Griffen, hopefully Brandon Graham or Derrick Morgan somehow fall to the Cardinals but I doubt it, stranger things have happened. At least draft Greg Hardy in the 2nd rd. Okay, I’m done trying to point these great players out. I just want a pass rusher.

37. By Dan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Everson Griffen reminds me a little like Dwight Freeney. He’s not as good as Freeney but he does show some very good similar qualities, I’d take Griffen in the 1st rd. Would love to have him.

38. By george on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

ok i cant bleave my self 4 saying this but lets trade the 1st pick an mattie l to the pitts stealers for big ben !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. By Emmett on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Daryl Washington? You’re going to reach a full round IF NOT MORE for an undersized WILL backer with no place in a 3-4?

Well, if anything, the pass defense will be a lot better as a result. Teams will instead choose to just run it right down our throats.

40. By fighting bird on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Are the cards interested in Tebow if hes there.

41. By brazilian fan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

hey darren… tell the website folks not to scary us… what about adrian wilson in the first page and special announcemment? he stays in AZ, right? special announcemment… good things… I hope

42. By Michael from stl on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

i hope weatherspoon is there a t pick 26 even though he is cocky, he probably just does that to keep his spirits coming to game time. Joey porter is a big mouth and we signed him , i think weatherspoon can turn his cockyness to great leadership, but i dont he will be there so i say trade up like 3 or 4 picks and try to get him

43. By Richard- on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I like Washington, but I think they can trade down 10 spots or so and still get him. What do you think Darren?

44. By cardinalconvert on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren:

Defense, defense, defense! Cardinals keep that in mind when drafting

45. By Mike T on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Man I hope you are wrong with that Mock. That would be a worst case scenario for the Cards as no one that they really wanted dropped to them. If that were the Case I’d hope they would trade out of the spot as opposed to reaching for Washington.

46. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Deveau –

Fair enough. But the grades on Mays are all over the place, so I don’t think it’s a lock to say the Cards have him graded above Washington. As for the others, again, I don’t know how they are viewed in relation to the linebackers.

47. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Skip –

I do not see the old jerseys coming back anytime soon.

48. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Dan –

I don’t see them taking Griffen. Too many concerns about production.

49. By John on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I actually think you have a good mock draft. Of course, I want Weatherspoon to fall to 26, but Atlanta (unless its a bluff) love him. I know in mocks, there are no trades but in this situation, I would trade down. Here is what I see for the cards;

First round;
    Trade with Cleveland for a 2nd and 3rd. I think Clausen falls and its a perfect spot for Holmgren to get his man.
    2nd Round;
    I like Washington, but I go with Sean Lee at ILB.
    2nd Round;
    Torell Troop- with NT’s going off the board, Troop is pushed up to the second. He handles double teams and solidifies the middle.
    3rd Round;
    From Cleveland- AOA – as I said before, CB with speed and talent, who could play safety and Return punts while being a gunner on punts.
    3rd Round;
    Dorin Dickerson, H-Back. He is not a true TE, But Whiz will find mismatches all over the field with him.
    3rd Round;
    John Jerry- This huge OT/OG with give Grimm versitility along the line and insurance if Wells or Duece struggle.
    4th Round
    Many want a QB but I go Matt Tennet(sp) Center from BC. Sendlin is a FA next year. Tennett is an up grade.
    5th round
    no pick
    6th Round;
    Here is our QB- I have always like Zac Robinson. Good Arm , good Mobility, Whiz will coach him up. Lets not forget how many undrafted and late round guys have become stars- From Staubach and Unitis to Brady, Warner, Romo, Hasselback, on and on.
    7th Round
    I like Dexter Davis from ASU, He has size and Speed to play OLB but not the Athleticism. He could be a special tems guy and pass rush specialist.

Well there you go. My thoughts on how it should go.

50. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Emmett –

No place in the 3-4? They see Washington and Weatherspoon as inside backers in a 3-4 even though both were outside guys in college — just like a guy you might know named Karlos Dansby.

Again, I am guessing. This isn’t set in stone or even what the Cards plan. It’s my opinion, based on things I know. But the last player rating list I saw had Washington ranked as the 29th best player, so I don’t know how that’s a huge leap.

51. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Fighting –

52. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Brazilian –

It’s a good thing. No worries.

53. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Richard –

I think Washington could be the pick for the Saints at 32 so that may not be possible.

54. By FightON on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I heard this morning that the Cards inquired about the alleged rapist Ben Worthlessness, I can see wishing for McNabb, and every other walking, breathing QB out there not dead over 10 days…but Ben and his issues is scraping the bottom of the barrel., and all the pontificating and supposed “high morals” of the Cards fanbase and FO is nothing but a shame…IF THIS IS TRUE.

55. By FightON on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

*sham

56. By Emmett Willson on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

First off, Washington was a one year starter INSIDE in TCU’s gimmick defense. That’s strike one. Second, that guy I “might know” was 245 on an average day. Washington weighed 226 at the combine. That’s strike two.

Care to keep swinging? We went the undersized route once. I believe Buster Davis is still fishing the free agent waters for work. You want teams to continue to average an embarassing 4.5 yards per carry against this defense, go right on ahead and take him. Your funeral.

57. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

FightOn –

58. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Emmett –

I was around Buster Davis long enough to know his being undersized was the least of his problems.

59. By Cris on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Now allow me to get your back on Washington. I haven’t seen him ranked 29 anywhere, lowest I’ve seen anywhere is a mid 30 pick. However, he has all the tangibles to be an effective Dansby replacement. Smart, fluid hips, can drop into coverage, has a nose for the ball, high motor, can run sideline to sideline. Yes, he was 226# the combine, but Dansby when drafted out of college wasn’t 245#, but 230#, so, I fail to see the point you are making Emmett.

Overall, Washington is an athlete who can make the transition to a MLB in our 3-4 defense with little downside. However, I would rather spend a 2nd round pick on him than a 1st.

My $.02. And Darren, for the money, you still do the best job of covering the Cards.

Cris

60. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Cris –

On that last point, I choose not to dispute. :)

61. By Cris on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

After viewing my post, I have a request. Any chance the site can be modified to include a pre-post spell checker?

Call me the lazy person wishing to look literate.

Cris

62. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Cris –

At least you care.

Tell you what, I’ll fix it for you.

63. By Emmett Willson on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Davis as a player had problems. That’s why he’s on the street. Davis as a poor player who coulldn’t break camp with a 3-4 defense was based on being 5’9″ and out of shape.

There’s a reason most sites(No doubt the ones you’re reading for information)choose to list him as an outside backer. That’s all he can play.

Chris-

LOL…..Karlos Dansby weight 251 at the NFL Scouting combine. 247 at his pro day.

Nice try though.

64. By Dan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I hope they don’t draft Daryl Washington, Adrian Wilson is about his size….hehe! Get a real LB.

65. By John on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Washington might be best fitted as a 4-3 weakside LB, but that doesnt mean he could not play inside on a 3-4. In a pass happy NFL, he could be an ideal rplacement for Dansby. His speed is like a safety, great cover skills and can shoot through holes on run plays.
    Can he take on blocks? Is he stout enough to play the run inside?
    That is where the importance of a big NT comes into play. A guy like Troop, Cody, or Thomas, will keep Washington clean and able to make plays.

One more thing, In 1996, the Ravens used the 26th pick on a guy considered to small for the inside with loads of speed- His name? Ray Lewis.
    Alright, I might have gone to far. Besides,I see Weatherspoon a better comparison but you never know.

Still, I trade down to take Sean Lee in the second if Spoon is gone.

66. By Dan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I’d LOVE Brandon Graham, hope he falls in our laps.

67. By Andy on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

After listening to all the post draft analysis, and hearing that the Cards had Washington 12 on their board (right after Williams), did you have any inside info when you put your mock draft together (I guess the question might better be how much inside info did you have)? In all the other mock drafts I’d seen, I never saw Washington going to us, but you obviously had a sense of how much the team liked him.

68. By darrenurban on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Andy –

I didn’t. If you look at my mock, all the players people thought ahead of time the Cards might be interested in were off the board: McClain, Williams, Kindle, Graham, Hughes, Weatherspoon. The chart I had (I think by Scouts Inc.) had Washington as their 30th best player or so, and he was a logical guess. I did know they liked him, but I didn’t know they liked him as much as they did.

69. By Andy on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

I really appreciate you responding to my question. It wouldn’t matter to me if you did, I was just curious :)