Cards have a uniform blackout

Posted by Darren Urban on April 22, 2010 – 5:09 pm

Yes, in a secret horribly kept, the Cardinals have officially announced they will have a new third alternate jersey starting in 2010, a black top that as far as I can tell, most fans have been clamoring for for years. It’ll be worn with white pants; sorry, the same white helmet remains (teams can’t have an alternate helmet unless it was their primary helmet at some point in the franchise’s history).

The regular uniform stays the same (so no one freak out about the jersey you’ve already bought). The Cards can use the third jersey up to three times this season — once in the preseason and twice in the regular season. Those dates haven’t been set (but wouldn’t it look good on ESPN on Monday night against the Niners?).

I’ll have a story with quotes up in a bit.

Tags: ,

76 Responses to “Cards have a uniform blackout”

1. By William on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Post pics.

2. By ray on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

any pics of it?

3. By Michael Sozinho on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

When will they be for sale?

4. By Jcaswellsr on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Ive been praying for this for years. Kinda looks like the Falcons though. Who cares. Jerseys are awesome.

5. By davewasson on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

love it.

6. By Logan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Those are freaking sweet jerseys.

7. By Mike B on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

nice

8. By 98CardsFan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yet expected, lol

9. By Barry on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I like it..looks good but, think a change in helmet color would be good too instead of just white…

::thumbs up::

10. By Safety on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Shame they cant have a black helmet. A FLAT black helmet like Oregon used last year. Would look tough.

11. By generic cards fan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

i love this, im definitly getting one

12. By aaaaudio on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I love these colors. Would like to have a Black helmet too! BUt this is a nice change of pace for a game or two.

13. By fitzis11red on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

AWESOME!! seriously that is sweet!!

14. By blue on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

hell yeah these are sick!!!!! cant wait to see them for real

15. By Lone-Eagle on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Good lookin UNI, I like it, no I lve it!! Gonna get me one!!!

16. By tinstar on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Yeah! Black alternate! What an original concept! Wake me when the 90’s are over.

17. By Lone-Eagle on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

OOOPPPPS, I mean I LOVE IT!!!! forgot how to spell.

18. By tinstar on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

So take down this picture of an Atlanta Falcons player and let’s see the new jersey!

19. By Michael on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

where can we get them?

20. By Michael on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

will they be available soon?

21. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

William —

I will have them up as soon as possible.

22. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Michael —

They are on sale now.

23. By Chris on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren —

With the way the picks have been rolling off, it’s looking like Dan Williams could be available at 26. Do you think the Cards pick him off at 26 or do we pickup an ILB first? Just curious.. very excited thus far about the possibilities that we will have at 26.

24. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Chris —

I think the Cards would take Williams in that scenario.

25. By BeastMode on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

WOW!!! Sickest jerseys in the league!!!

26. By az1965 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Absolutely love it!!!

27. By kauaicardsfan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Yes! Gives us a meaner look, I gotta get one!

28. By Ruben on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

im hapy if that cards get williams

29. By Nick Pepe on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I have said for more than a month that I thought all the immediate impact players on defense would be gone by the time we pick. And if we didn’t move our pick (up or down) we could have a top grade WR (Bryant, Tate…etc ) fall our way, and we could still upgrade the defense later in the draft …..
    And with Tate’s return ability……we’ll see. I trust the front office they drafted well in the past. I am just throwing that out there!
    Man I Love This!
    Nick

30. By Dynosoar on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Been a fan since I was eight (1977). A long time. I’ve always been proud that my team kept the same name and colors no matter what city (or state) they call home.

I’ve always thought teams that change uniforms to black are going after a gang crowd to generate more sales. I hope that’s not the case with the Cardinals. This black uniform is the first time in 33 years I’ve been disapointed in my Cardinals (and I’ve seen a lot of years when most fans were disapointed.)

This is my team. I hope they stay red always for the home uniform and I’ve always loved the white helmet. As far as Atlanta, their red helmets were also better than black.

Wow, that was long.

31. By Simon on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Wow! They are beyond horrible!

So I’m now stuck supporting the Falcons twice this season.

How does this represent the Cardinals??

Certainly won’t be getting my money

32. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

This is definitely a move based upon marketing (money making). Everything in the NFL is. I’m just glad the alternate uniforms look good. I’m with Dynosoar however, and prefer history and tradition over trendiness.

33. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

The Cardinals need to offer more jerseys in the “Premier” line (pricepoint). Premier jerseys have the numbers and name sewn on (unlike the cheaper “Replica” jerseys with silk-screened letters), but aren’t expensive as an authentic $260 uniform.

The Cards also need some throwback jerseys with the big red/black/white stripes on the arms (and Cardinal head). #32, #17, #72 would be a good place to start.

34. By Michael on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Change is good, I’ve been a Card fan since Neil Lomax, we are lucky to be in a new era where making the playoffs and the Super Bowl is now expected. Adrian Wilson & co. could wear lime green and orange and they are still the Cardinals. This is going to be a great season, it is so nice knowing that managemnt is making all the right moves the last few years. I’ll miss Boldin, but we drafted well the last few years so his replacement is already on the roster in Doucet. Whatever Michael Bidwill and Rod Graves decide is good with me. Although I cannot find where to buy the new jerseys! But as soon as I can get my hands on one, I will. Super Bowl or Nothing! Go Cards!!!

35. By William on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Those are awesome.

36. By Old ogre on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Man are we moving to Atlanta? lol

37. By Eric on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Who has been “clamoring” for a black uniform? The large majority of Cardinals fans I talk to think we would, and now do, look like the Falcons. Most of the people I deal with want red and white, and maybe the AZ state flag thrown in like the old uniforms.

38. By Mike B on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

You said something about we cannot have black helmet because its not an alternate color after next season can we get those black helmets because of this alternate uniform? I dont think we will make the switch next year but could we?

39. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Eric —

Well, the vast majority of the fans I hear from have wanted this for a long time. And I know the players desperately wanted black unis.

40. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Mike B —

No. The Cardinals cannot get a black helmet unless they permanently made such a switch and that’s not going to happen.

41. By Eric on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

GO FALCONS!!!

Uh, I mean GO CARDINALS!!!

42. By azcards65 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren WHERE can i find a place to buy this jersey i went to az cards.com and i cant find it anywhere if you could help me out i wanna be the first on my street to get one

43. By Dan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

At least the white helmet make us look less like the Falcons.

44. By Brian R. on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I dislike this jersey. Im not a Falcon. I am a Cardinal.

45. By azcards65 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

by the way the bird has more black on him than white so why make a huge deal like we added a color, plus,i wear my jersey for fashion too so im excited gonna look good in black

46. By Brian R. on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Never the less, the other jerseys werent that old. Less than a decade and we already wanna change?

47. By K-DUB on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

When can the fans order personalized black jerseys?

48. By fitz 4 mt rushmore on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren when will these jerseys be for sale on the websites store?

49. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Everyone who wants to buy a jersey —

Go here: http://www.stadiumcollection.com/

50. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Brian R —

These are a third jersey. They will only be worn for one preseason game and two regular season games. The rest of the time, it’s the regular red and white unis.

51. By Hodge on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Wow the cards new jerseys are sick. I like the black, to bad they can only wear it 3 times this season…… I’m a true chargers fan in heart, but the cardinals are my second team.

52. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Get black helmets!!!!

53. By Albert Campillo on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey Dyno,
    I hear ya. I’ve been a fan for a long time too, but I always liked the Arizona blue don’t you? I thought they would have went that way instead of black. It must have been decided by someone who is not from Arizona. I mean it’s too hot for black in the desert. Our players are going to be drinking water like crazy. Well, you told them, but they should know a little history about colors in this league before they start making these type of decisions. I agree with the change in the helmet color. In fact, as I stated in the other blog, the logos should be bigger, like almost the whole helmet. Then, a Arizona blue stripe down the middle. I know the old uniforms have blue stripes on em. They should really look into bringing that back. That would be sweet and blue is an intimidating color with red, especially in football.

54. By nor cal cards fan on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I figured everybody already knew that’s why i asked last week, sorry Urb.

55. By Rob on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I wouldn’t want to see us wearing these every game, but for a few games a year- the ones where we want are players to come out and tear up our opponent- this uniform looks awesome. For those complaining we are now the Falcons, last time I checked their helmets were black with a black bird on them. Our good old white helmets with red cardinal will look sharp with that uniform.

In short I love the new jersey, but still prefer Cardinal red and white.

56. By TBru on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

They don’t do anything for me, They do look like the Falcons. Just seeing how many people are lining up to go spend their money on them though I guess it is mission accomplished. If they somehow motivate the team, then I can’t complain.

57. By matthew garcia on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

love the black jersey wonder when they will use them

58. By Brian R. on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren, I was hoping I was misunderstanding. Lol.

59. By RandawgVO on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

The Jerseys are available here…

I got me a DD and my wife an A-Dub!

Cant wait for the chance to wear them!!!

60. By Fighting bird on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

I think the black jersey looks good but change the helmet to black nah.We are the cardinals and we need to stay the cardinals. the change to a smaller more sleek bird on the helmet was great and no more changes needed as I see it.We dont want to look like the falcons. With all that said I think everything uniform wise looks great we need to stay with what we have and remember our cardinal heritage. (RED) WE DO THIS TOGETHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

61. By KTG on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Um Albert,just in case you hadn’t noticed,the Cards don’t play in Sun Devil Stadium anymore. They actually play in a building that has a roof. It even has air conditioning too. Those two factors alone tell me that the players are not going to be effected by the heat. And if the roof and AC are broken, they probably wouldn’t wear black anyway.

62. By Slug on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

So…Falcons much?

63. By NYCARDSFAN on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Call me old fashioned, but I like our colors RED and WHITE. But if our players are happy, then I am happy. And I dont care if they wear an all yellow uniform with pink numbers as long as they stomp the cowpies and the sa-nts cause I am gonne be there in person! ( I refuse to post their names on our site)

64. By TBru on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

So twice a year do the fans become the Black Sea??

65. By TBru on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

If they ever consider changing helmets, they should be red with a yellow face mask, much like the bird itself.

On a side note a family of cardinals have taken up residence just out side my work, so I get to see the cardinals every day. Kind of a wimpy animal to name an NFL team after though.

66. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Tbru —

Maybe just a Blackout?

67. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Tbru —

Actually, the franchise was named the cardinals not because of the bird originally but because that was the color of the uniforms the original owner had back in the 1920s.

68. By Chris Freeman on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

The jerseys are great looking, its what i have been looking for, the question i have is are we staying with only the white with black tail and red striping pants, or will cardinals also have an all black pants with white tail and red striping to match the jersey ( as an all black out pant and jersey match; rather then black jersey white pants)

69. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Chris —

I would think all black is too much. I know I like the black-and-white combo.

70. By Chris Freeman on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

i still believe we need the black pants, then we can have and opposite 3rd all white jersey… think Cincinnati Bearcats

71. By Chris Freeman on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

only team to use it ( as of recent ) was jacksonville and atlanta stopped using theyre black pant white jersey scheme since vick left…

72. By TBru on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

the white pants with the white helmets look pretty good. They are a good alternate uni, but I am not going to fall into the marketing trap of running out and buying one.

73. By $ta$ on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

can figure out where the hell too buy the jersey they loook hella sick i needs me on -stas

74. By Eazy E on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Those are SO ICEY!!!! The fans that don’t like them suck. The black helmet would have been the icing on the cake though.

2. Apr 22, 2010: Cardinals Announce a New Alternate Jersey | Raising Zona | An Arizona Cardinals Blog
  3. Apr 23, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com