Whiz on Big Ben rumors

Posted by Darren Urban on April 22, 2010 – 9:39 am

Given the issues of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and all the reports he might get traded, I suppose it’s no surprise to see the Cardinals linked to at least a phone call to the Steelers, which ESPN’s John Clayton did this morning on Sports 620 KTAR. Clayton said the Cards “made communication” with the Steelers about Roethlisberger.

“It seems like you’d be hard-pressed to find a team that hasn’t been linked to (Roethlisberger interest),” Whisenhunt said. “At this time of year there’s no shortage of information and misinformation flying around; who teams are interested in drafting, who they’re not, who’s gonna be traded, etc. From our standpoint, it doesn’t seem to make sense to publicly comment on which rumors are fact and which are fiction but I can tell you there’s a fair amount of each.”

That was as specific as Whiz wanted to get. But as I have noted to many fans over the last couple of days before this report even surfaced, bringing Big Ben to Arizona makes little sense. Forget the price it would cost in terms of draft picks. The baggage itself is troubling. I can’t see the Steelers trading Roethlisberger if this incident — as bad as it has been — was all there was. If the Cards weren’t going to chase Donovan McNabb (who is squeaky clean) why Roethlisberger?

You worry about what else is there. As I have mentioned when teams trade good young players — the Ravens trying to trade T Jared Gaither, for instance, the Chargers dumping CB Antonio Cromartie earlier this offseason, the Steelers trading WR Santonio Holmes — it raises red flags. Either the player isn’t quite the player everyone thinks he is, or there are off-field issues. Either way, a team needs to be careful. Otherwise, why would the players be traded in the first place?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

108 Responses to “Whiz on Big Ben rumors”

1. By Joe on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

The Cards shouldn’t have chased McNabb because he is on the decline. Ben is in his prime. What baggage? A lack of class in dealing with women? He wasn’t charged with anything.

Leinart and Fitz have babies out of wedlock and Porter just had a run in with the law. These paper moralists haven’t gotten on their soap box about them.

Don’t worry about the picks to get Ben. How often does a two-time SB winning franchise QB come available?

2. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Joe –

Gotcha. So having a child when you are not married and what Ben did are comparable in your book. You’re right, Ben wasn’t charged. But we all know everything isn’t that black and white, though, right?

3. By LadyCard04 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

With all his skills Ben Roethlisberger has “bad news” stamped on his forehead and any team that trades for him will have to face at least the first quarter of ’10 season waiting to regret their decision.

Hope the Cards continue avoiding major character flaws in their players. It’s hard enough for a team to succeed when they work together as a team without having to deal with the many nasty side issues brought along as excess baggage by a player like Roethlisberger.

Winning is wonderful but I for one want to like and respect the MAN behind the players and the Cards’ belief in character is important to me as a fan and I’m sure other fans especially ones with children would agree.

4. By Mike T on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I don’t believe anything that is said this week. In fact my wife told me that the Garbage needed to be taken out last night and I told her I was falling for that one!

5. By PRH on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Wow, Joe. That analogy was horrible.

6. By Jesse Robles on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Justlike the GOOD half of Steelers Nation, we don’t want him either, pay him a bunch of money to watch him play a couple of years with trouble EVERY OFFSEASON, NO WAY!

7. By Bobf on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Seems like a good fit for the Raiders.

8. By AllCards on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

McNabb is a better QB than Roethlisberger. And Urban makes a great point–if the Cards were going to give up on Leinart, then why not do so by acquiring a great QB who is respected in the community rather than enlist a sociopath to be the face of your franchise.

And even though doubts about Leinart may be warranted, I’m pretty confident he can duplicate Roethlisberger’s “legendary” 2008 season of 17 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. I know, I know, I’m being misleading….”Mr. Clutch” did kick it up a notch by throwing 3 touchdowns in 3 playoff games that year…

The Steelers run was never about Roethlisberger, it was about the defense. And that’s what the Cardinals should be working on. Even a high-flying offense led by Kurt Warner could only go so far without a top-notch defense. Heck, Peyton Manning is the best quarterback on the face of the planet and yet he has a .500 record in the post-season. The focus needs to be on defense.

9. By kyle on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I’d rather not have a rapist leading my team thank you very much

10. By Cardsforlife on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren, how would getting Ben not help us? We need a QB who can play against the defenses that force such accurate decision making in the playoffs. Do you honestly believe Matt Leinart could beat the Cowboys, Vikings, or even the Packers defense in the playoffs?

I believe the Cards need to look at how to take on the playoff teams. The addition of Ben would all but seal the deal Cards in the Superbowl again!

11. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Cardsforlife –

I never said Roethlisberger as a player couldn’t help the Cardinals.

But at what price?
    (And I’m not just talking about money and draft picks)

12. By FightON on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

@Joe..so the fact that Matt and Fitz chose fatherhood over kiling a life is on the same par as an alleged rapist? By the way, in MATT’s case, his child’s mother was his college sweetheart, a nice girl – not a one night stand, with marriage in the discussion before breaking up, that was widely reported while they were in college. Glad that the FO does not share your idea of said “transgressions” as equal.

13. By AllCards on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, Darren, how could Ben not help us? Did you see last year when he almost led the Steelers to miraculous comebacks over the Raiders and Browns? (Almost)

14. By Tbru on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

What ever your position is on Big Ben’s transgressions, why trade for someone with a 6 game suspension? Ok Leinart, you are the QB for now but you will be benched when Ben is activated. What kind of production would that bring? Trading for Ben would equate to throwing this season away, and who knows if their will be a next season,

15. By Tbru on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I hope the Steelers don’t get any offers and keep the guy, with 4 QB’s under contract, maybe the birds can work a deal for Dixon.

16. By Landis on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I’d rather not have the quarterback who beat us in our only superbowl on our team. There’s just something that doesn’t sit well with me in those regards. Call it dumb, I don’t care. I know there’s a lot of connection to the Steelers on this team, and that Ben is actually a pretty good quarterback……but still, I wouldn’t want him. I hope someone else sees it this way.

Oh, and @Joe …..That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. Your ideal of morality is very skewed, and sounds almost puritanical. In Matt and Fitz’s cases…you really can’t blame them for that. They obviously didn’t rape the girls, seeing as they have children that they do love, even if they were had out of “Wedlock”. That’s an insulting issue to judge someone on. Things happen in love, and most people would not handle it in such a respectable manner. In fact, it down right pisses me off you would call them criminals for that, especially on par with suspected rapists. So before you call us “paper moralists”, maybe you should learn what matters in life, learn how to think about things, grow up, and come back to us. I know you love Ben, but we love the Arizona Cardinals.

17. By Jose on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Hard to believe the Steelers will be shedding Big Ben… Having said that, I’d love to see him in a Cardinals uniform. Easy to hold the line at “nice guys” when you have a phletora of championship trophies… The reality is none of us know what happened at that party. What we do know is the girl in question(and her family) refused to file charges from the start… Questionable judgement isn’t necessarily the same as “bad guy”. Any team without a Starting QB would be foolish not to look into Ben… Having said that, the Cards won’t because Leinart’s ego couldn’t handle it…

18. By FightON on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

@Tbru…love Dennis Dixon, if not for injury, many believe he would have had a Heisman and a National Championship…the young man is class and a difference maker. Don’t know if he could be a consistant starter, but man, wouldn’t he be great to be brought in as a situational QB?

19. By AllCards on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren, it is my understanding that expressing interest in Roethlisberger would be considered tampering…..but what about denying interest? I’ve seen other news sources saying that Whisenhunt won’t confirm or deny interest in Roethlisberger, so I just wanted to know if the tampering policy restricts him from making a comment either way or if he’s only restricted from expressing interest.

I really wish they would come out and deny this like they did when Graves came out and denied reports about acquiring Vick soon after they surfaced. This would ruin the season. Football is a wonderful sport, and fans are willing to root for less-than-perfect players, but a franchise asking its fans to accept a guy like Roethlisberger is a bit much.

20. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

AllCards –

The Cards aren’t getting Roethlisberger. Trust me on that.

21. By Ditship on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Let Big Dumb Ben got to the Raiders where the fans embrace idiots like him.

22. By Landis on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

AllDarrenUrbans-

Thank you Darren.

23. By Rugbymuffin on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Step One: Leinart is the starting QB.

Step Two: Refer to step 1.

24. By Tbru on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

@ allcards

to quote Mr Urban

“I managed to catch up with coach Ken Whisenhunt to ask him to comment, which is never easy in this case because to talk about a player under contract with another team — even if it is to deny interest — could technically be considered tampering (and why Whisenhunt has delicately maneuvered around the subject the few previous times he has been asked about the subject).”

25. By Andrew on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

NEW JERSEYS!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!!!

This is a completely bush league move by the Cardinals. I have never said a negative word on here about the Cards and always take the positive side and back them up!! But this is unbelievable!!! All they are trying to do is suck money out of the fans who have bought new jerseys the past two years. These jerseys have only been around for what? Five years??Since everyone has jerseys already, lets get new ones so the fans will buy more. Can I bring in my old jerseys (maybe my Anquan one) and get a discount on the new one???)
    And if you care to be superstitous… who actually changes their jerseys after making it to the playoffs back to back years for the first time EVER!!! They should release an alternate black jersey, that’s what I was hoping for… but all new jerseys???
    I hope my assumption is wrong but all signs point to all new jerseys… the main page here and the fact that all jerseys are half off in the team store??? That doesn’t just happen for no reason cuz well, it never has happened and I doubt they are just putting them on sale for fun!
    These jerseys better be really really nice!!! Our jerseys are already cool, I don’t get it…

Can anyone explain to me why this is a good idea? (Other than getting money)

I know I’m gonna buy one and that money damn well better go to Darnell Dockett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darren – Sorry for the rant but I can be the upset fan just once right? am i in the wrong in my thinking?

26. By Tyler Comella on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Does not one understand what darren is trying to say the cardinals are not going to get him. They are not going to pick up the baggage that he carries because he is suspend for 6 games. Who cares if he is a 2 time superbowl winning qb. He has been accused of this crime 3 times now. In my opinion it would be stupid for the cardinals to trade for him we dont need him we have other needs to fill on the defence.

27. By Cedric Sweetdaddy on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Big Ben for Lienart , would be the best deal this franchise ever made. Ben could get us to the Super Bowl and win it. We need to make this happen. Winning is everything.

28. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Andrew –

I think you may be a tad overreacting and off base.

Wait until tonight. I think you’ll feel better once you get the details.

29. By Rick on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren – GOOD!!! Roethlisberger is a prima donna and BEFORE these latest allegations it has been repeately reported by media and fans that Roethlisberger turns his nose up to fans. He is a punk!!!

30. By KidStallyn on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Joe – Bringing in a guy like this with this type of questionable character is not an option for this team. This is HUGE baggage. The recent incident surrounding his actions on his b-day isn’t his first. There’s the celeb golf tourney allegations form last year. It’s a pattern.

But yes, with enough counseling, and a huge career come to Jesus meeting, I’m sure he can change. But does this organization want to take that upon themselves with everything that has gone on over the past couple of season. I for one don’t want it on my roster. You bring him in, now it’s Rothlessburger (or insert your negative derivative of his name here) vs. Leinart. We just don’t need that. We need to sit back, and let Matt be the #1 guy without having a 6 game suspended, 2 rape allegation, and 2 Time Super Bowl Winning QB sitting over your shoulder. It’s just not healthy for the continued growth of this team.

31. By Andrew on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Lol sorry bout all that.. I will be there a little late but will be online the whole time to see!

32. By EricJB on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Setting aside the non football concerns over Roethlisberger, which are valid enough on their own. The guy has questionable leadership problems. Hines Ward and others on the steelers have had a rocky relationship with him to say the least. When your #1 receiver is coming out against you that is a collossal red flag. Maybe no one else remembers this but not long ago this friction was a major steelers story.

33. By Randy Moss on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Sometimes a change of scenery is good and it is very likely that Ben will learn from his suspension and mandated treatment. I am willing to bet good money that he will never have a problem again. I also think he is exactly what the Cards need.

However, the Steelers want a top 10 draft pick (which we don’t have). Also, we don’t need 3 QBs that make a LOT of money and nobody will trade for Leinhart or Anderson.

Can’t wait for th Draft.

Go Cards

34. By Randy Moss on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

P.S. Didn’t our current #1 quarterback have an issue or two with partying it up with underage girls?

35. By Andrew on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Lovely… apparently i got some bad info about other stuff that made me think it was ALL new jerseys. I, however, as briefly mentioned, am really excited at the prospect of a black alternate jersey! I figured that it didn’t make sense and it didn’t! don’t i look stupid for listening and not doing more research!?!

36. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

NO THANKS!

(Plus I just cant see the Steelers trading Ben without first seeing if Ben’s first league discipline causes him to change his thinking and his ways – that is what it is meant to do. There is a lot of smoke, but little fire on this rumor, IMO).

37. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Randy –

There was a picture with Matt in it leaked from a party of which people made fun. No allegations of any kind were made.

Please tell me you’re not comparing that to what Roethlisberger is going through.

38. By Randy Moss on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

No, I am not trying to compare them. Just to say that people forgive and forget pretty quickly.

Also, pictures are facts and allegations made by drunken college girls that don’t even end up in a charges are not.

I am not saying Big Ben is squeaky clean. Where there is smoke there is usually fire. But I could also run down a list of allegations that Porter has had, that would make people cringe too and everybody is thrilled about getting him.

Michael Irvin was caught with hookers and cocaine and now he is VERY well respected around the league.

39. By Ben on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Cardinals trade for Rapestberger:

Ring Ring Ring

“Cardinals ticket office how may I help you”

“Hello, my name is Ben and I am not bringing my daughters to the stadium to root for this low life. I would like to refund my season tickets.”

“thanks sir, my phone is ringing off the hook I have to get the other line”

Rinse and repeat…

40. By cards62 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Quarterbacks are like my taxes. They always come calling every April. I do not know the names that will be out there next year, but there will be some .

Leinart is the man in 2010. Am I nervous? Yyou bet I am, but like most of you I support our clubs decision to give him one last chance, and like all of you I will be rooting like crazy for him to truly be the man and have an all pro year for our beloved Cardinals, If Matt does well we are set at QB for many years.
    Go Cards and draft well !!!

41. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

At the draft party will there be the “new” jerseys with Roethlisberger sewn on the back?
    If not, how about “Haynesworth” or “McNabb” Card uni’s?

42. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Randy –

You’re right. Look at Ray Lewis. He was there for a double murder his friends took part in and he became a hero again.

Eventually.

Ask me about Ben next year. Two years. Not now. And again, ridiculous to compare the Leinart/Ben situations.

43. By Stuart on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Question, Ben wasn’t charge with anything, and the DA that was investigating this has publicly said that he found the allegations to be false. Why is it that the NFL, and the Steelers are still crusifing him? I’m a big time AZ fan always have been and always will be, but I’m just curious why this is going on. All it’s doing is telling every hoe out there, that wants to get with an NFL player that all they have to do is say he “Raped me” to screw a up thier career, just because the person rejects them.

It’s wrong and the NFL and the Steelers need to reevaluate things when it comes to stuff like this, because all they are doing is hurting players when they didn’t do anything.

44. By Jakenit16 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Yes Matt made some mistakes but he does not keep repeating them does he! He has learned the error of his ways and is working hard to be the QB we all expected. I am very excited to him take charge of this squad.

45. By 11-5 season on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

STAY AWAY from the loser, he never won super bowls the team as a whole did. Specially the one against seahawks – he was the worst player on the team. To lose to the stillers in the superbowl is still a heart breaker and he didnt win that either, the cards just fell very short. The team is good with what they have in place. if matt cant do it anderson will and dixon —- really? that would be going backwards.

46. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

NFL Network has this lame idea of having the “75 Greatest Draft Picks of All Time” (e.g. most popular with the kids) announcing selections.
    Any idea of who might be presenting for the Cards?
    Maybe Kelly Stouffer, John Lee or Tony Jefferies?

47. By John on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Ben,
    I completely agree with you. I have daughters too, and someone needs to stand up and say this kind of behavior is unacceptable.

I like Roger Goodell, and I agree with his decision. Hopefully this message makes it to Big Ben, Other players, and any man listening.

But back to football,(pretend Big Ben is a good guy) if the only thing missing was a QB, you might make a deal for a QB. But we gave up 90 points in 2 playoffs. We lost 2 of our better defensive players and would be required to give up some high picks to get him. We need these picks in this deep and talented draft. Give Matt his time, If he doesnt get the job done, trade anything you have to for Jake Locker in next years draft.

48. By Drew on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I like Ben the player, but Ben in the off season, as far as decision making goes, is not one of my favorites. The guy got busted up driving a crotch rocket and now he has been linked to sexual assault not once, but twice. I know he was not convicted, but guess what athletes get arrested and charged all the time for stuff they do and yet there always is not enough evidence to convict. I am not saying he in fact did these things, we all know girls see dollar signs when coming in contact with athletes, but there has to be some truth to the reports.

That being said, Whiz would probably be one of the few coaches that could tame Ben if he wanted to take on that challenge. I thought I heard that they did not see eye to eye though, so that could be another reason to not bring him here. I say there are way too many question marks and cons than there are pros. Keep the draft picks, let Leinart and Anderson battle it out and play this year and then re-evaluate the position at the end of the year. I am not expecting much from the Cards this year other than it being a teaching year and a learning year(learning about what we have and what we need to get next year from free agency and the draft) If this was a team built to win now, then I say you take the chance on a one hit season with him, but we are building for the future and need pieces that we know will fit, not ones we are going to try and jam into a spot where it doesn’t belong.

49. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Stuart –

Ben wasn’t charged. But to clarify, the DA didn’t say he found the allegations to be false. He said there wasn’t enough to prosecute. Big difference. Read this and let me know if you feel the same way.

Also, the Steelers and NFL aren’t the criminal justice system. There is a higher standard of behavior. I, as an NFL employee, am held to a similar standard. The Steelers and the NFL also likely have access to anything else Ben might have done in the past, even if something didn’t hit the media. I don’t know. And neither do you.

To say Ben “didn’t do anything” is wrong. He wasn’t arrested. But he did something. That’s why he was suspended.

50. By kyle on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

haha andrew, “that money better go to dockett” I agree homie, we gotta pay one of our defensive stars! we cant just let him go next year like we did dansby and rolle

51. By Drew on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Andrew-

Relax dude every team does it. It is a marketing and money making scheme, but it is done by every team. I don’t think the Cardinals are going to force you to buy it nor are they going to make you stand outside the stadium for wearing an old one. Shoot I still wear my Eric Swann jersey from time to time as do I wear my Tillman jersey. In fact, I don’t even own a new jersey(or I guess soon to be old). I think it’s cool that they come out with new stuff every 5 years or so. I wish they would look into a helmet logo change. I know a long time ago Fox 10 had people submit ideas for a new logo and there was one I really liked. It was the Cardinal talon that looked like it was ripping through the side of the helmet on both sides. It looked awesome. The Cardinal head is getting kind of dull. Shoot even throw an “AZ” on the side for a few seasons or something.

52. By Wampag on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

wow crazy huh D our bet on? ha ha what about faneca you think Whiz will make a run

and please if anyone in CARDS base camp is reading this NO NO NO ben

GO CARDS

53. By John on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Stuart,
    Read the report.
    Then, come back and ask the same questions.

BTW, the DA never said the allegations were false.

If you are rich and famous, and you have to go to a small town and get a little 20 year old so drunk, have your off duty police officer body guards take her back to the bathroom, have the guards block her friends, so you can have sex with her on the bathroom floor, you are a huge loser. No matter how many years pass, I dont want him as the face of my franchise.

54. By kyle on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

so darren it sounds like you know exactly what the big surprise announcement is tonight. wanna give us a little hint? maybe a color? home? road? both?

55. By Bobby on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Lets forget about Big Ben. What’s wrong with Leinert? It’s like everyone has given up on Leinert and the season hasn’t even started. Lets puts some money towards Big Daddy Docketts salary. Lets face it, he is a disruptive force that can not be replaced. Boldin was my one of my favorite players, but he can be replaced and will be. Besides, he was getting hurt quite a bit lately. You can’t replace Dockett, if so with who? Can you name someone else that is as good as him at his position? Don’t even look at the fat guy at Washington who has come to play last year overweight and out of shape. Lets draft a guy that we can sit right next to him at DT or get an OT and learn to run the ball EFFECTIVELY! Forget Big Ben, we don’t need him!

56. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Kyle –

Sorry. I’d rather drive traffic to my site by having you watch the video/read the stories later today. A second way to help me stay employed. :)

57. By Lance on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I’ve been keeping a close eye on the headlines during this off season and Ben’s story seems to be patchy everywhere with the defendant doing things that do not seem all to honest. Explain to me why she would come out and say Roethlisberger raped her and not want to press charges, and to publicly express she wants no harm to him or his career. I think it was some girl that wanted her 15 minutes or saw it as an opportunity to get some money. I have never heard of a suspected rapist not being detained especially someone with enough money that makes them a flight risk.

58. By kyle on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

darren I do both those things anyways! plus wouldn’t a teaser like the word “black”, bring people on here to check out what they look like??

59. By Stuart on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Well I read the document you showed me. All I can say is it sounds to me to much like the Kobe Bryant allegations in the NBA. And I actually watched MSNBC the day the DA anounced his decision and what he said was that with the evidence that they had found it leads them to drop the charges, which means they believe the charges to be false.

I really do believe that what the NFL and the Steelers are doing to Ben is wrong and he might be a real jerk off, but he does need to be treated like an inicent man because that is what they found him to be inicent.

P.S. I’m actually an attorney and see cases like this all the time, and it’s most common were I live with drunk Sorority Collage girls who get ticked at a man for rejecting them.

60. By Stuart on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Oh and were I live is a huge collage town.

61. By Mandy on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Forget Ben. The Cards whiffed royally not pursuing McNabb……The Cards can draft, sign, and do whatever they want. If the QB position doesnt pan out, the season is verrrrry long. It all begins with the general……The QB……

62. By Stuart on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

John-
    I totally agree with you, but my reaons are different, I would never want to see Big Ben as the face of this franchise but for these reasons.

1. Ken and Kurt and heck the rest of the players for the Cards have built this team to love respect and be passionate about it’s community and it’s fans. Big Ben doesn’t give a crap about anything else but his money, and looks down on his fans.

2. We have a franchise QB that has made up for his off field mistakes and knows what this franchise is all about, and has the trust and respect of all his teammates. Big Ben could never do that, or earn that with this team.

63. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Stuart –

I am not disagreeing that these things can be false. But I also watched the DA, and considering they dropped the charges, I thought he was actually kind of scathing in his announcement toward Ben. I am surprised, as an attorney, you automatically make the leap that if no charges are filed, they are false. There are cases all the time where the charges may or may not be false (or even known to be true) but it is impossible to take the case to trial because it cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. I’m not saying that is what is happening here, but it happens.

You say you see cases like this all the time. So every single time a girl is drunk and cries rape in your town, it’s because they are looking for revenge? Never once has a guy actually forced himself on a girl? Sorry, I can’t believe that. No one knows what happened with Ben. I know, however, that every player knows Goodell is watching. I can think of a ton of things Ben could have done differently that night to avoid this. Finally, he’s not fighting the suspension. That at least tells me, whether he is guilty or not, he did something to deserve the suspension — even if he did nothing criminal.

64. By shaps on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren, are you serious? You say read the report? That’s GARBAGE. He got suspended 6 games for being a drunk moron. Give me a break. I mean, neither of these cases even MADE IT to the trial, much less a jru. You know what that means? It means the DA didn’t have jack squat because any DA would love to make a splash by convicting a high profile celeb. If he even thought there was a smidgen of enough evidence tat Ben was guilty, these charges would have been filed in a heart-beat. You talk about “you know how these things go”… well, you DON’T know how DA’s go. They’re looking for the spotlight and if it’s offered and they turn it down, you can bet your bottom dollar it’s because they don’t have a case. Not because of whatever reason “you know how these things go”. The idea of a two-time Super Bowl champion QB in his prime not even being considered is the dumbest idea of all time, especially when our only QBs on the roster are unproven garbage and proven garbage.

65. By Stuart on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    I do see cases like this all the time, but typically the person that is being accused of something like this is ecpecially if they have money is arrested and detained for a short period of time at least. And I’m not saying that every girl that say’s this is a lier, what I’m saying is that most of the time when charges are brought out like this and the DA can’t find evidence or the girl sits thier and says I don’t want any kind of wrong against the man. Or I don’t want to hurt his career, it’s typically revenge, or trying to get thier 15 min of fame. I will say this though if Ben isin’t contesting his suspension I agree it does make me raise an eyebrow.

66. By John on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I agree with you Darren.
    Also, Goodell is a very fair, smart man with unions and owners waiting and watching every move. No players union reps are coming forward and sying this is unfair. And, as you know, because a girl gets too drunk, she doesnt deserve to be taken advantage of.

But lets stay with the topic of football. The draft is only a few hours away. Hopefully, I’m wrong and so is Darren, and Weatherspoon falls into our laps at 26 and Whiz holds up a jersey with his name on it. Besides Dan Williams, I dont see another guy I stay in the first round for.

PS, I agree with you Darren that Hughes goes early. It reminds me of last year when I thought Larry English might fall and the Chargers took him with the 15th.

67. By D D on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

i assume that video is az time?

68. By John on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Many Rumors of teams trading back into the first for Tebow. There is our chance to trade down and pick up an extra 3. If the draft went the way you have it, Darren, do you favor trading down?

69. By Eric on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

What percentage of your time is spent addressing all these knuckleheads (me included) on a daily basis? This whole comment section to the blog must be driving you insane.

70. By joe67 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I get so tired of hearing what Leinart has done off field. He was young, good looking and damn rich!! Okay boys, who wouldn’t have jumped in the hot tub with a couple hotties. A lot of you have, I’m sure. So, lets give him a chance this year. I hope if he has the season I think he will, that some of you are man enough to step up and say you were wrong. I just hope you all don’t start booing the first time he throws a pik. I could show you some hi-lites of some that Warner threw. Ugly. (And I was always a Warner fan)

71. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

DD –

Yes, Arizona time, which is three hours later than eastern time these days.

72. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

John –

It depends on who is left on the board. Let’s say, for example, they really like Washington. Sure, it’d be great to get him at 37. But if the Saints scoop him up at 32 and you like him a lot more than the next LB on their list, then I’d rather see them go after the guy they like at 26 than settle.

73. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Eric –

It’s part of the job. And this blog topic is going to drive comments. I will say, it’s amazing to see the cross section of fans, the ones who want to win and feel like the players are just players, and the ones who care who is doing the winning for them.

74. By kyle on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I say we give up one of our 3rd rounders to trade up and get rolando mcclain. anywhere before the giants at 15

75. By Cris on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Aside from getting a handle on spelling, what advice would you offer someone looking to enter your line of work?

Thanks,

Cris

76. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I think the Steelers went out of their way with trade rumors to scare the hell out of Ben. The thought of going from the NFL’s model franchise, the Steelers, to the NFL’s most dysfunctional franchise, the Raiders, should be enough of a threat to make any box-of-rocks-for-brains QB think twice about hitting-up underage, drunk college girls for a good time the next time he’s out for a night on the town.

77. By AllCards on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I keep hearing a lot of talk about the Cards drafting an OLB instead of an ILB….isn’t it fair to assume the ILB position is a more urgent need than OLB? Perhaps they plan on converting a player to the inside?

Porter and Haggans should be effective starters, and they have a lot of young potential behind them in Will Davis and Cody Brown….I just don’t think OLB is as much of a concern…..then again, the draft is always full of surprises.

As for the divide amongst fans….acquiring Roethlisberger just seems like such a desperate move, especially when other organizations have proven you can compete at a high level while still placing an emphasis on character.

78. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Cris –

Tougher these days. I was a newspaper man/journalism, but those jobs are harder to come by.

Oh, and there is a lot of dumb luck involved.

79. By Sue H on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Do not want Ben Rothlisberger. I hope the rumors turn out to be false. I have the utmost respect for Whiz, and nothing but disgust for Ben.

Please Cardinals, just don’t go there.

80. By azcards#1 on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

i think the cards will be the best team in the league this year and im tired of hearing people dog on matt without actually seeing him play they need to give him a chance before they rip on him

81. By John on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

All cards,

Yes, we would covert either Weatherspoon or Washington to ILB. They are not 3-4 OLB’s.

I’m starting to think Darren might have a little info. If Weatherspoon is gone, someone likes Washington in that board room. True ? :)

82. By Mack on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

-Darren

Sorry if you already responded to this question i didnt want to look at all 80+ responces. Is the “special announcement” going to be posted on the site later tonight or tomorrow?

83. By fitzis11red on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Black helmets, Red and White #7 not Black and Gold #7 and Weatherspoon at No. 26. and a great time int 2010.

84. By fitzis11red on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

You are around this organization everyday. You might know everyone on a first name basis, I would assume. I respect what you know and what you share as your opinion. Your knowledge of this team is second to noone on these blogs. So, if you say that Ben is not going to be a Card and to trust you. I do. Ben is not coming. Thank Goodness. Blog on Darren and thanks again.

85. By I Bleed Cacti (Next Time I Will Take Pictures) on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I have loved this team since birth.

I can safely say, truthfully…

If Ben comes to AZ, I will become a browns fan.

I hate the Browns.

So, Mr. Urban…

I hope you’re right and this NEVER happens.

86. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Mack –

Not only will it be posted, it will be streamed live on the site at 5 p.m. tonight Az time. Just check out the link on either the home page or on the draft page.

87. By Squintz on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Stuart – Went through “law school” and passed the bar, but failed basic english? I’m calling bull doo doo on you being a lawyer.

“College” “liar” “especially” “there” “their” “too” “announced”….

And the kicker… For an attorney….

“innocent”

Wouldn’t that be all over the place in your office as a lawyer?

88. By Wampag on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I really wanted Suh

89. By Mike on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Wow Wilson is a big big man and looks downright scary in that black jersey

90. By Wampag on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Is oakung any good?

91. By Wampag on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

D san fran is looking scary what do you think?

92. By blue on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

i am a loyal fan always have been but this will make me abd my family turn in our season tickets we have had since they have been here..i cant believe that they would even try to get him..this is BS!!!!!!!

93. By Wayne De Barr on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Big Ben dissing Coach Whiz a while back … now looks like a vote of confidence for the Coach’s integrity!

94. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

I think I expected them to get two good players with two first-round picks.

95. By darrenurban on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

Yes, pretty good.

96. By Albert Campillo on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

Hey Andrew,
    I think the new jerseys shoild be Red, but the sides black and white trim. I’ve always liked that Arizona blue though. There’s never enough of it. I think the logo should be bigger on the helmet too, like almost the whole helmet. Then, that Arizona blue stripe down the middle. The jerseys would look tight with red and blue, and black/white and blue. Tell me, who is in charge?
    As for Coach, I think he might be concerned with the moral of the Pittsberg organization (because he was once a part of it). I don’t think it’s at all related to trying to get him. I think he has confidence in the organization he’s trying to build, which means he’s confident in Matt. Leonard (Leinart’s new Mexicanized name) waited a long time for this. I think we made a great pick that will stir some things up on offense for the teams and our Defense is going to rip this league up. Our house has gotta move together fast and learn each other. I hope we can get a good offensive lineman, or another wide in case we suffer injuries. Our schedule is facing some good defenses like Dallas, Denver, New Orleans, Minnesota and San Francisco. We can beat these teams at home, but I think Minnesota and San Francisco are our biggest threats. The Caronina and Kansas City Games will be a Key wins for momemtum. Coach is doing a great job and I would work for him anyday. I pray that Ben can recover from this.

97. By Jerry on Apr 22, 2010 | Reply

I don’t think getting Ben would be a bad idea for one. Not if we plan on winning games outside of our weak regular season schedule. Doesn’t look like that will be happening though, at least from the reports coming out of Pittsburgh. Have the Cards been conversing about a veteran QB to bring on the roster? I heard Jeff Garcia would like to mentor Kolb, if Philly will sign him. Could he be a potential sign for the Cards as he knows he would be more of a mentor than a starter in the NFL?

Great job drafting Dan Williams in 1st round! Do we really expect Matt to drive a winning offense in the playoffs against defenses like the Eagles?The Saints? The Cowboys? Are we going to live via defense this year? D.A. can air it out to Fitz and Breaston can’t see Leinart throwing deep. Beanie can run but our offense is changing a lot.

98. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Jerry –

Every time Garcia has needed to be a mentor, he has bristled at the thought. I don’t see why he will change now.

99. By Jerry on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Would the Cards talk to Garcia to come to AZ and mentor Matt and Derek?

100. By darrenurban on Apr 23, 2010 | Reply

Jerry –

101. By Joseph P. on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Wow! I can not believe how people are. Ben Roethlisberger is a PROVEN champion. He was not CONVICTED of a crime. If Big Ben comes to town and is able to bring a Super Bowl win to us would their be panamonium on the streets all over Arizona? Damned straight. I will agree with many of you about the moral aspect if he had been CHARGED and FOUND GUILTY–but HE WASN’T!! Due process of law people–innocent UNTILL PROVEN GUILTY-are these words merely fabrications of chicken scratchings on some non-essential papers of non-consern? No, these are our Bill Of Rights! FOR ALL OF US- not just for those who SOME of us THINK that they pertain to. So get over it! Untill a court of law clearly states that Big Ben is guilty of any crime, he’s O.K. in my books and in the law books of this great land. Now take off those pointy white sheets, put out the torches and go play in traffic.

102. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Joseph –

All true statements. But playing in the NFL, as the commish likes to say, is not a right. It’s a privilege. And just because a guy doesn’t go to jail doesn’t necessarily mean he can’t be a bad person. Everybody has their opinion on that. This isn’t black-and-white — a guy doesn’t go to jail, so he’s automatically “good.” Doesn’t work that way.

103. By Joseph P. on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Sorry darrenurban, I do not agree. Kobe Bryant appeared in court why? There was sufficient reason to bring him there. Michael Vick went to court, prison- why? There was sufficient evidence to do so. Fact–if there is sufficient evidence to prove that a crime has been committed the prosecuting attorney will pursue a conviction–esp. of a well known celebrity with or with out a victims formal complaint. This situation with “Big Ben” would have gone to court, he would have gone to prison IF there was sufficient evidence–PROOF that a crime had been committed. So, darrenurban–let’s put the shoe on a DIFFERENT foot. On your foot and that of the commish. Now I know that you can’t speak for him. Knowingly this little blurp of print would be too below him for him to reply, let me ask you this. Suppose–just suppose tomorrow some woman, accused you of the same thing? Let us say for argument sake that it was completely false. That the case never went to court, so YOU had no ability to face your accuser. That you had no ability to defend yourself against any slander or of liable. Are we now to expect to whisper about you behind your back for your whole life? Are you now expected to have to get into arguments to defend yourself in restaurants, at social gatherings? Heaven forbid extending this as far as major network coverage. ANY American, famous or not, rich or poor. Has the RIGHT–sorry commish–NOT the PRIVILEGE to protect themselves against accusations. There may be opinions galore, that doesn’t change the law, or the Constitution. If there ARE known
    perpetrators escaping justice that the Commissioner has personal knowledge and fails to report it to the proper authorities of ANY crime, then HE has broken the law and CAN be facing felony class 3 for violating the law WILLINGLY. If YOU know of specific information of a felony that has taken place and knowingly have with held said information from the law YOU too can be sent to jail. Sooo- is the commissioner knowingly withholding evidence concerning “Big Ben”? Are you? darrenurban? If so, look out–for the REST of your lives—.

104. By darrenurban on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Joseph –

I never said he committed a particular crime. Neither did Goodell or the NFL.

Here is the text from the NFL press release on the suspension.

“The Personal Conduct Policy makes clear that I may impose discipline ‘even where the conduct does not result in conviction of a crime’ as, for example, where the conduct ‘imposes inherent danger to the safety and well being of another person’,” Commissioner Goodell stated in his letter to Roethlisberger. “As the District Attorney concluded, the extensive investigatory record shows that you contributed to the irresponsible consumption of alcohol by purchasing (or facilitating the purchase of) alcoholic beverages for underage college students, at least some of whom were likely already intoxicated. There is no question that the excessive consumption of alcohol that evening put the students and yourself at risk. The Personal Conduct Policy also states that discipline is appropriate for conduct that ‘undermines or puts at risk the integrity and reputation of the NFL, NFL clubs, or NFL players.’ By any measure, your conduct satisfies that standard.”

You bring up RIGHTS and PRIVILEGES. You are correct when it comes to the justice system, which is why Ben isn’t in jail, nor should he be. But playing in the NFL is not a RIGHT. It is a PRIVILEGE. There is no law that says Ben has to be employed by the NFL if he breaks their rules. And he did.

2. Apr 22, 2010: [Cardinals] Ken Whisenhunt Addresses Ben Roethlisberger Trade Rumors
  3. Apr 22, 2010: Spiller, Bradford, Clausen and Big Ben | FantasyAces.com