Cards trade McFadden to Steelers, get Skelton

Posted by Darren Urban on April 24, 2010 – 10:07 am

The Cardinals have traded cornerback Bryant McFadden and their own sixth-round pick (195) for the 155th pick in the fifth round to nab Fordham quarterback John Skelton. I am sure there will be plenty of fans happy with this, and I know the Cards were looking hard at Skelton. Greg Toler is your starter now that McFadden is a Steeler again.

And here I thought taking injured LB O’Brien Schofield was going to be the big news of the day.

I know the Cards liked Skelton; he was probably the only lower-round quarterback they were really interested in. And they needed to trade into the fifth round to get him. The question is whether the Cards can find another cornerback going forward; they have signed Trumaine McBride in the offseason and have Michael Adams and Rashad Barksdale. But this puts some pressure on Toler to step up soon — and DRC has to be the leader of the corners now.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

54 Responses to “Cards trade McFadden to Steelers, get Skelton”

1. By Brandon on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Great opportunity for Toler, no clue who Skelton is though i thought we’d take Lefevour

2. By gordo on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

ive been hoping for this day since the end of the season.. GOOOD BYE MCMUFFIN!!!!

DARREN,
    do u think toler is the answer?

3. By alexu on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

which vet are we going to sign? haha

4. By Deveau on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

OK. WTF (Yes, that is what it means)

We were weak at DB to begin with. Now we trade one away, + a pick to take a QB. Not that I’m mad at the QB.

So, what do we do for a DB. And don’t say we use our 6th or 7th round pick to get one, because, well, I see quite a lack of talent for us to sift through. Kinda like the $5.00 movie bin at Wal Mart.

I see this draft turning into a bust, no matter what steal we got in round 1 or 2.

Too lame for my $.02.

5. By Jesse Robles on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

YES!! Mcfadden gone and a 6’5″ 243 QB!!! BIG JOHN!!!! LOL Go Cards!!

6. By RedRge on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I like this move.

7. By CardinalSwagger on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

We gave up a sixth round pick?

8. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

B. “Toast” McFadden (nice guy btw) is addition by substraction. Couldn’t cover, so the tarde was 6th for 5th in my mind and unloaded salary better spent on DD et al. Bravo WhizGraves braintrust.

Darren’s on the money, we better have some more CBs in mind.

9. By Tyrelle on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

We need a veteran CB.

10. By Evan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Love this turn of events. Wanted Skelton ever since I first read his scouting report a couple months ago. McFadden never really seemed to fit here. Toler can step up. Have to spend our remaining 6th rounder on a CB now, though.

11. By Alex on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I couldnt be anymore happier witht his pick.
    The McFadden signing for us didnt really work out too well.
    And this guy I’ve been really interested in the last couple of weeks, has a great gun-slingin arm. He’ll be a great work in progress.

12. By bobF on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

There is a God. Nice knowing you Bryant…. Not!!

13. By Arnold on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Glad that “doesn’t turn his head around to look for the ball” is gone. I think GT will do well especially since we have built up our interior defense. I was reading the bio and stats of Skelton and I am truly impressed. He has a gun for an arm. Can’t wait for him to compete for the job.
    Skelton stats: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1267818?tag=DraftTrackerTableData;DraftTrackerTable155

14. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Wow!!!!

What the heck are the Cards going to do for depth at cornerback now!!!

So, if DRC goes down again, our starters will be Toler and Adams!

I don’t get it? There has to be something else up? Besides drafting a 6th or 7th round cornerback

15. By Garrett on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I remember watching Toler play some snaps in the playoffs and he looked great. I can’t wait to see him step up as a starting corner.

But, everyone says McFadden was a bust, which is true, but he would be a better nickel CB than Adams.
    For now, I am a little uneasy about our CB situation outside of the 3-4. Hopefully some of those new signees will come up big.

16. By Mike T on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I don’t like this pick at all. A starting CB for a 3rd string QB? Skelton is the ultimate project. Doubt he will ever see the field.

17. By Bob Christianson on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Boy I guess I have to trust Whiz and Graves. ??? Who is going to play Corner Back.
    GO CARDINALS

18. By diehardcardsfan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Scary to give up an established DB in McFadden….however he never did pan out. Cards needed to draft a QB to cover their bases, only now it puts a lot of pressure on Toler to step up. Hopefully they can still sign a veteran DB to help that group.

19. By Nesto on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Myron Rolle, sure would like to have his smarts on our field

20. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

PS: Sorry about my typos.

21. By kauaicardsfan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Interesting,
    The cards must have not liked the production of Mcfadden to part ways only after one year, this is a perfect situation for Skelton to learn, great future QB for the cards! I like the way they are being aggressive and getting the people they want!!!
    GO CARDS!

22. By TBru on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Surprised Skelton dropped this low, shocked that Edwards & Kafka went ahead of him. Good move for the birds. I was thinking Skelton could go when they took Schofield. Surprised Oakland didn’t take McFadden off our hands, they seem to have cornered the market on McFaddens.

Now we need a TE and and maybe an offensive lineman

23. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Gordo —

He better be, right?

24. By Harry Boldin on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Can’t understand this transaction at all. Why give up a starter at cornerback for an unproven quarterback from a small college? I hope it works out, but I confess that I’m very skeptical of this move.

25. By gordo on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

i feel like the cards are going to trade for a vet.. i just got that feeling, especially with not much depth left at db in the draft. does anyone know if there is a gem left???????

26. By Kevin on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I agree with alot of what im hearing. Mcfadden was more of a liability in a lot of games. His speed and coverage skills were always questionable…who can forget the 200 + yds Houszdmanzadeh had on him in AZ?

However, we know need a CB, and I would think a veteran one. Our 3 CB”s are very young. I don’t think Toler is ready to start as a #2. But having him the 3rd CB I think would be fine.

A veteran CB with solid speed and coverage skills, but we don’t need anything spectacular, to back up DRC, who can also teach the younger CBs.

27. By ben on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I would have given our 4th and 6th round picks to the Steelers for them to take McFadden from us. To get something in return is just gravy. I would say dont let the door hit you, but we all know he wont get his head around fast enough anyways.

28. By cardsfan89 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I’m surprised any of you are complaining that we might end up with a lousy cornerback now. We just traded one away. Didn’t lose a thing.

29. By Mike on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren, how does Toler stack up in the speed department? DRC definitly has it and having two fast CBs has its perks too. Even being a little thin I’m confident having A-Dub and Rhodes backing them up.

30. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Mike —

Toler was the guy expected to be the starter all along. He is similar, if not as good, as DRC.

31. By lg on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

i was the first one yesterday to say get a cb cause mcfadden suck and i no toler is better than him

32. By Mike D on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

McFadden is one of those cornerbacks who never turns around to see the ball until after it is in the receiver’s hands. Glad to see him gone.

33. By TMAS on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Didn’t we resign St.Pierre? Why do we need 4 QBs if we are lacking at CB? Skelton might be good, but we have Lienart, Anderson, and Mr. “I make holding a clipboard sexy”. At least it’s not Big Ben.

34. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

TMAS —

St. Pierre has not be re-signed. I don’t think he will be now either.

35. By Skiptim on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

DRC has run a 4.29, possibly higher, and I believe Greg Toler before ran something like a 4.39.

36. By Mike T on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Dockett via Twitter:

Bryant Mfcadden going Back to pittsburgh mannn this is BS. I’m sooooooo pissssed. Damn!!

37. By Barry Bond on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

St.Pierre is not good enough for the NFL. We need quarterbacks that can compete with Leinart, hope Skelton is good enough to push Matt Leinart. I just read earlier on NFL site the Carolina Panthers who picked McCoy at number 48 were scared to death the Cardinals were going to pick the quarterback with their pick at 47 in front of the Panthers? The Panthers I think can beat the Saints now and this season we have to play both the Saints and Panthers.

38. By TBru on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Donovan Warren from Michigan is still a pretty highly rated CB, not that we need anymore Wolverines on this team lol

39. By Skiptim on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for not embarrassing me Darren.

40. By Chad on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I would feel a lot better if we had drafted a CB higher in the draft to plug in. Other than our 1st and 2nd pick, we are drafting “project” guys who will take time to develop,

Meanwhile, the Seahawks and 49ers and getting guys who can play now. With all our losses and with Seattle killing it (Leon Washington and LenDale White among others) with new players who make an impact immediately, I’m certainly getting nervous.

41. By Al on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

HAHAHAHAHAHA! McFadden is gone, Yeeeeeeeessssssss!!!! He sucked anyway!!! Thank you Cardinals!!!

Al

42. By Stevie on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I loved the ESPN QB measurement evaluation (I forget the name of it) that rates QBs accuracy and speed of finding the open receiver with 2 defenders bearing down on them. Since they don’t green-light the open hoop until the last second, this is a more accurate reflection of the accuracy, speed and consistency of a QB than the normal workouts. Skelton compared favorably with Peyton Manning. Sounds like a good value selection to me.

43. By AZfAn808 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    do the cardinals now look for depth at cb or do they find a replacement?

44. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Azfan —

I think they have to find a CB.

45. By Cardsfanintexas on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Does the team have any interest in Darren Sharper in the short term? He’s sill available right?

46. By nor cal cards fan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Don’t let the door hit u on the way out Mcfadden. I called for him to be cut the day after the season ended. He should be flat out embarassed by the way he played last season. Has there been any speculation tossed around within the organization as to why he had such a HORRIBLE season. I mean,was he hurt and not telling anybody? Family distractions? Content with his contract,so he stopped working hard? There has to be an explanation. Did he refuse to get coached up? I highly doubt the coaching staff approved of him never turning around to find the ball in coverage, week after week.

47. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Cardsfan —

He is, but I don’t see it.

48. By TC on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Dont know about Scofield but all the picks were top notch. Good going Whiz and Graves. Now sign em quick and get em in camp on time.

49. By Craig on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Toles didn’t do very well last year. Iam glad tha McFadden is gone, but we ned to sign a “name” CB !!

50. By Juniorrow on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

That was a great move trading McFadden because his salary was gonna be off the charts this season and Toler will be a probowler oneday. But Mike Adams is gonna get exposed just like he was in the Green Bay and saints playoff games. Anyone who is 6’1 or taller will give him hell in the slot. Mark my words my countrymen. Also not signing Role back hurts us too because he was a nickel and safety who made game changing plays. Were gonna have huge match up problems during the Season. Why don’t we keep our best players.. (i.e, calvin pace, antonio smith, Antrel role, Karlos Dansby) It’s looking like were gonna be the cardinals who played in the NFC East. I hope not!

51. By Eazy E on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Boy, we are thin at CB. I’m not mad or happy that B-Mac is gone, but we really need to address it in FA. Dre Bly, Fred Smoot are possibilities. Toler, don’t want him as our #2 right now, haven’t seen nearly enough.

52. By BLEEDSBLKNGOLD on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

LOL!!! I love it! Such hate going on amongst the Zonians!!! Sorry you all had to experience the Rookie Mcfadden. you see, under a new system there, that’s exactly what he was. Let’s face it, Bill Davis is no Dick Lebeau, so Mcfadden looked like a lost puppy & often exposed, so i can understand the Zonian rage. You see, the Steelers didn’t start the Rookie D Mac! but we saw what he can do. Watch the Best defense flourish this with this re-addition. He know’s this Defense and has been very productive for us. Now we get him back a @value for 3years. Kudos, i think a good decision by both clubs. Mcfadden is a Steeler, he bleeds Black and gold and RINGS!!! WELCOME BACK D MAC!!!

Watch the Steelers Get 7 before the Cards get 1. you guys haven’t seen the humbled, grown up Ben, and neither have we. But I am Hopeful like a Steeler fan should be and I also only defend his LAST chance to Redeem himself. I pray he grows up and when he does……7 before the Cards get 1!!!!

53. By freebilly on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

I don’t why people are down on the CB’s without knowing what you have? OTA’s are cominng up soon, you will be able to evaluate your CB talent then.

I myself know Barksdale got a raw deal with the Jets. Barksdale came into jets camp late last year, had 4 Int’s in mini camp practices. When it came to pre season game time, coaches held him out hoping other teams didn’t see him play so they could sneak him on the practice squad. The Cards along with a couple of othetr teams heard about Barksdale, the Cards was the best offer made, so he signed with them.

Oh, on speed: DRC runs about a 4.2 Toler runs 4.39 and Barksdale runs a 4.38, I think Barksdale will be the Nickle for the Cards this year.

2. Apr 24, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com