• Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 8:00AM - 2:00PM MST Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament Cardinals Charities Golf Tournament at Whirlwind Golf Club (5692 W North Loop Rd, Chandler, AZ 85226).
  • Wed., Apr. 23, 2014 5:00PM - 5:15PM MST 2014 NFL schedule released The 2014 NFL schedule is released. Check out all the details on azcardinals.com.
  • Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Final draft thoughts

Posted by Darren Urban on April 24, 2010 – 3:26 pm

Well, I don’t think anything could have prepared anyone for today’s final day of the draft Cardinals-wise. Heck, when the O’Brien Schofield story came down — stud pass rusher who just ripped up his knee three months ago — I was just happy there was something interesting to write about. Then the Cardinals traded cornerback Bryant McFadden. Then they took a quarterback. Then we’re in the press room trying to find stats on CB Jorrick Calvin, not realizing at first he didn’t play in 2009. Even the last pick, Stanford tight end Jim Dray, had his own backstory — in 2007 covering a punt, he tore the ACL, MCL, LCL meniscus and hamstring in his left leg. Yikes.

Stories galore. But before I rush off to coach my son’s basketball game (yes, thank you NFL for hustling through this last day), some kibbles and bits I didn’t get to elsewhere:

– Calvin is intriguing. Coach Ken Whisenhunt even said the fact he didn’t play in 2009 probably helped the Cards wait until the sixth round to get him. You like the idea he took responsibility — “I had to live with the consequences,” Calvin said when he didn’t turn in an assignment and was flunked. “It was all my fault.” — and Whiz and Rod Graves sounded sure they knew what they were getting. It helped that Troy assistant coach Maurea Crain took part in training camp last year as part of the NFL’s minority coach intern program. They reached out to Crain and got all the info they needed on Calvin.

– That said, I wonder like everyone about cornerback depth. I do think Greg Toler was going to end up as the starter, so that part doesn’t concern me when it comes to the McFadden trade. And knowing McFadden was supposed to make almost $5 M catches your eye. Will they sign a vet? I think they will consider it. And this may end up being a situation where they nab a guy when final cuts come at the end of training camp too, a la Jeremy Bridges last year.

– The Cards sent both Mike Miller and Chris Miller from the coaching staff to work out QB John Skelton about 10 days ago. I was hearing his name connected with this team since the combine. I think they’ve liked him for a while. And he them. “In the back of my mind I always thought I would be a Cardinal.”

– I can’t see Brian St. Pierre signing now, though. I think the Cards get an undrafted rookie arm, but between Skelton and the work needed for both Matt Leinart and Derek Anderson, I don’t know how many reps a fourth QB would even get. And I don’t see anyone beating out the two vets and a draft pick for a roster spot either.

– Dray, on his injuries: “I knew coming back from a big knee injury like that, my way to get back on the field wasn’t going to be running double move routes or deep routes because my knee wasn’t up to that level. I knew I would have to come in right away and try to get back on the field blocking.”

– After listening to Schofield this morning, it’s tough not to feel good about the pick and what he’ll do to return to his pass-rushing ways. You look at the numbers — 12 sacks, 24 tackles for loss — and you can understand why the Cards took a chance. And coming back from ACLs isn’t the same as it used to be. I remember covering Kyle Vanden Bosch back in 2001-2003 when he blew out his knee twice and look how he turned out after he left. It takes so much less time to recover too. Whisenhunt pointed out that when he played in the 1980s, you put a guy in a cast for six weeks after tearing an ACL, and then going from there. Schofield was walking around the combine without a limp about a month after his injury.

OK, that’s all for now. I’ve gotta go. I’m sure there will be much more to talk about soon. I’ll monitor the comments on the blog, but otherwise, I’m off until Monday.

Unless the Cards make another trade … or news of their undrafted guys leak … who am I kidding. I’ll probably write again tomorrow.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

83 Responses to “Final draft thoughts”

1. By az jam on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Enjoyed all your blogs over the draft event. I’m very happy with the Card/s moves. It sure was hectic. Coach Whiz said that the new 3 day format gave them more time to plan and work out deals. I think this is good for the NFL as its not as rushed which really is good for all teams. Again thanks for your excellent updates.

2. By John on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I love the move at CB and getting rid of McFadden. If they can’t find a veteran, I have a lot of faith in Toler. Not sure if Sharper is still available, but that would be a fantastic pickup. Good luck at the basketball game!

3. By Shtiggy on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I give the draft an A-/B+ mostly just because of all the doubts locked in to Schofield, Vorrick and Dray. If they pan out and play, then A+ easily. I liked the Cards being aggressive in the draft, trading up to get Washington and Skelton. I’m a little weary on Roberts, but the kid is fast and runs excellent routes with good hands. That usually equals success in the NFL. Can’t wait for training camp.

4. By Joe C on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I think the Cards had a great three days! I”m very excitied for the up-coming season, I think we’ll be in great shape. I’m also very happy about McFadden, didn’t think he fit and didn’t think he did a good job last season at all. Very excited for Toler, he will do just fine, he’s hungry, and him and DRC will feed off of each other. Can’t wait for the season to begin. Was at the Stadium when they opened yesterday and grabbed myself an new authentic Beanie Jersey, they look great!!!!! Bring it on NFC West, we’re waitin’ for all three of ya’!!! Go Red Birds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. By John on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Sorry, I meant Dre Bly was still available..that would be a really nice pickup.

6. By Jesse Robles on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren, enjoy your family time, LETS GO CARDS!!

7. By Peter in Canada on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

You deserve a day off. You did a great job and I think the Cards had an excellent draft.

8. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

GOOD JOB CARDINALS!!!! Sounds like we got a list of first rounders. If it wasnt for knee injurys or eneligibility, I see all of the picks we have going in the first 2 rounds. Except maybe Skeleton, but with a name like that, It doesn’t matter, your bad ass. I love my Cardinals!!!

9. By Paul on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Here’s my plug for local product Mike Nixon (ASU) to be added to the undrafted players for the team. Possible Special teams and backup MLB. Even could be emergency FG kicker and punter if need be. Think a younger Monty Beisel. Would be great in the locker room. He would be a long shot yes, but I remember when the experts said that Pat Tillman was too slow to play safety in the NFL.

10. By ker5h on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I would love to see a few vets brought in: alan faneca, samari rolle or dre bly..

Draft was exciting and I’m happy with the turn out, one guy I was hoping for though was aaron hernandez the TE out of florida, he looked to have the total package and we haven’t had a TE worth talking about in who knows how long…

11. By Steve on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren, Time will tell but I think the Cards came away with 4 starters down the road with their first 4 picks, while Skelton, Calvin and Dray add depth, solid draft overall

12. By MattAZ on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for all the great info Darren. You should definately stay away from your keyboard tomorrow.

13. By 98CardsFan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Just one question, now that Faneca is out there for the taking, do you think he’d reunite with Whiz, now that we have some legit runners in the backfield? With the money they saved getting rid of McFadden will they pay the price to get him?

14. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

The most exciting draft ever for the Cards. Look at how many needs we filled. Liked every guy after reading about them and listening to their phone interviews.Ready to line up and hit. Time will tell but looks like we got faster (Washington, Calvin, Roberts, Scholfiled) and stronger: Williams. Also, younger and in the mold of Coach Whiz (Dray, Skelton). Great fun.

15. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

98Cards –

If you sign Faneca, who are you dumping? Wells or Deuce? Because he’s going to want to start.

16. By Nick Pepe on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for the coverage. I think we did some interesting things. Time will tell. I hope everyone signs in a timely fashion (can you post their agents??), and lets get to camp and get ready to defend as division champs….again!

17. By Barry Bond on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Did the Cards drop the ball? Tony Pike was picked in the sixth round by the Panthers. WOW, the Cards passed on Clausen, McCoy, and Pike! Trust me fans we will be hearing from those three quarterbacks before the 2010 season is over. Now surprise me Cards and see if Skelton (our QB pick) is going to push Matt Leinart for the starting job within 2 years???

18. By 98CardsFan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Even though Deuce has been coming along it might be time to just cut the ties. We have depth to eventually take over for Faneca when the time comes. Talent wise, he would lead the line and get the running game hitting on all cylinders. Arizona is where he should have ended up in the first place. But it HAS been a very interesting day. Take care.

19. By Phil l on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren for all your work. Go cards!

20. By Brian R. on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I think the Cardinals draft went great. Overall grade – A.

21. By darthcard on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I love some of the picks. I love the potential of some of the other picks. I had other guys i would have loved to see the cards draft but in no way shape or form disagree because i believe in Graves/Whiz/Kiem. I and every cardinal fan is worried about the CB position. I alson love your blogs darren.

22. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

FA Running back Alphonso Smith, Kentucky, signs with Cards.

23. By Potter on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

According to nepatriotsdraft.com this is our current list of undrafted free agents

Cardinals
    David Moosman, OG, Michigan
    Max Hall, QB, BYU ???
    Alfonso Smith, RB, Kentucky
    Max Komar, WR, Idaho
    Stephen Williams, WR, Toledo
    Casey Knips, OT, SDSU
    AJ Jefferson, CB, Fresno State
    Devin Tyler, OT, Temple

I was really hoping for Donovan Warren the CB from Michigan. He seemed to be everyone’s top rated CB left in the undrafted market, but he signed with the Jets.

And Pete Carrol seems to think he’s still recruiting…leading the league with 15 undrafted rookies

24. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

PAul-
    I agree whole heartedly. Lets bring in the ASU linebacker. I like that idea. especially is he can do trick plays. He better be happy with practice squad until he beats out ali highsmith and lenons contract runs up though.

John,
    again I agree. Dre Bly would be a very good teacher and vet cover corner. Still wish Ty Law was still around for us to nab. lol. Sharper would be a good addition also, for our zone blitz packages, replacing rolle as the pick 6 guy. I say get both.

98CardsFan,
    If faneca wants to reunite with Whiz and takes a winning team over big $$, You bet he is a new card and well, thanks for not siigning your contract Duce, lol. In reality, he is 33. he has one last big paycheck, and the true reunion is with the steelers who are freeing up money losing big ben and holmes and would like to have someone to help thei 2 new picks grow into the NFL.

I love Lienart. but just think. We could be “the Skeleton Crew” I mean damn. what a name. I love it.

25. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

also, our new team motto could be. please dont blow out your knee. hahaha. our drafts have knee issues. Gabe watson has battled bad news for 2 yrs, DRC hurt his knee. Didnt hayes have a knee injury last year? Even Fitz had some small procedure… didnt he? ahhaha. kinda funny.

26. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Dan Williams has DeFrance as an agent who represented Dansby before being “replaced”. Cards haven’t had a serious problem with getting first rounders in training camp for a while, so why start now?
    Overall, decent draft, but didn’t like Graves with the fluctuating picks, would rather have it straightforward, with no changeups. (Does too much overthinking for the fans’ brains.)
    Concerned about the CB position now more than ever. Only signing a veteran will ease my mind now, regardless if after week 3 of preseason or before.
    Thanks for the coverage, Urban.

27. By John on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Guys, lets not get too excited about day 3 of the draft.Day three did nothing to help us for 2010. Although some of the picks might help us down the line and give us depth.

Scholfield, most likely, will not play this year. Most reports are its a 9 month recovery.(although, if he can come back to full strength in 2011, he could help us)

Skelton is a nice pick up, but is a project and will be our third string QB.

Calvin better play special teams or he will have trouble getting suited up on sundays. My guess is we bring in a vet at CB, making it tough to get on the field.

Dray has a tough road to make the team. Becht and Patrick are two TE’s, meaning he is going to have to beat out Spach and Byrd. Could be practice squad.

28. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

That’s why John, I’m concerned about the trade up for Washington. Picks in rounds 5-7 USUALLY don’t produce starters. I like the Citadel kid in 4, needed a fourth WR and a PR, which he is, argueably, the best in the nation at.
    But by losing that thirder, that could have nested a starter for that cornerback position.
    Hope that Washington is the player the Cards think he is.

29. By ker5h on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Reguarding ditching duece or reggie in order for faneca to start… I honestly don’t care, faneca is way better than both even if he is 33, he’d be a huge addition to the running game and passing game, and were gonna need to pound the ball with beanie until one of our qbs prove themselves (hopefully leinart)

30. By Eazy E on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I love our draft. We addressed needs at NT, ILB, WR(Depth), OLB(Depth), QB(Project)still would like one more veteran QB in there, CB(Still very thin though and have to sign a veteran CB soon(Dre Bly, Ty Law, Fred Smoot), and TE(Depth). We also need to aggressively go after faneca. That is Whiz’s and Grimm’s boy. They absolutely love him. Were already moving to be a more balanced team and faneca helps big time not only pass-protection wise, but run blocking. He’s a run mauler first. He dominates both in pass blocking and run blocking. I don’t mind faneca over wells or lutui. It doesn’t matter, just get faneca, i doubt he would want big money and the cardinals would give him a decent contract, but again whiz and grimm wanted him when he was an ufa, but fitz’s contract handcuffed us that year from basically signing anybody until we got that done. FANECA FANECA FANECA!!!

31. By J-Ohio on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren good work on your covering of the cards draft picks. I really loved all the cards picks, especially Washington i think he’ll be a good fit in the D. Skelton is a good pick but Matt will be the starter of the Cards for 10 plus years from here on out.

32. By J-Ohio on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I am soo sik of watching Espn and Nfl network and seeing everyone say, ohh the NFC west is a wide open division and this is going to be the year the 49ers take it bak and blah,blah blah, NO respect for my Cards, well to all the 49er, Seahawk, and Ram fans and to everyone on NFL network and espn, who won this Division the past two years??? Just because Warner is gone does not mean ****. I’m pretty sure the NFC west trophy still resides in arizona, were it will stay.

33. By Scott H on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I can’t ever really say much about the draft intelligently because I don’t follow college football at all. I don’t know who these guys are! But it’s hard to be a fan and not have an opinion, so…I must say, I find myself feeling excited about Andre Roberts. He’s Boldin-like in his build and the way he moves after the Catch. And some of the catches he makes are Fitzgerald-like in the way he adjusts in the air and “high-points” over defenders. And he looks solid on punt returns. Just a gut feeling, I like the guy. I certainly don’t mind McFadden being gone ’cause I was looking forward to seeing more of Toler, anyway. Then again, depth at CB is now an issue…Darren, we still have Ralph Brown in the mix at CB, yes? I’ve barely heard his name mentioned at all in the past few months, so I’m guessing we do. And I’m hoping that we do ’cause it would seem very necessary to have a solid veteran CB who can still make plays when given the chance. BTW, is Rod Hood available out there? He would be another solid vet CB who could add good depth. And one more – any thoughts on Faneca and if the Cards have any interest? I can’t say I’ve paid much attention to him the past season or two…does he have anything left? I know the Jets were the top rushing team in the league last year, but I wonder about him being released. Are the Jets just that solid and deep along their O-line that they don’t need Faneca at this point, was his release a financial move, or is he just out of gas?

34. By darrenurban on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Scott H –

Ralph will not be back. At least, he wasn’t going to be before the draft. I don’t think anything has changed. I believe Hood signed somewhere. And I don’t know on Faneca.

35. By Stuart on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Dareen-
    So I’ve been happy to see what the cards decided with everything except for one. My question for you is we traded McFadden back to the steelers to get that QB for a third stringer, my dad and I have always said this but why didn’t we just go back after Tylor Palko when he already knows are system instead of a QB that doesn’t know it at all?

Plus my dad and I love Palko we saw a heart for the game with him thats hard to find with QB’s these days. He should be a Card.

36. By darrenurban on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Stuart –

I understand there are fans who liked Palko. What the fans need to realize is that the coaches might not have liked Palko as much.

37. By jzcardinal on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

When is training camp this year? and what do we have to do to attend it? Thanks in advance.

38. By Stuart on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Dareen-

It was just a little curiosity. I know he play’s for the Steelers now thats why the trade was a little curious for me. Another question is what other positions do you think the Whiz is going to address with free agency? As a fan I just was curious who he might be looking at.

39. By AZfAn808 on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Do you think the cards are satisfied with this offseason or do they have any veterans in mind(faneca or cb)?

40. By darrenurban on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

jz –

The schedule is usually released in late June. As for attending, you just have to show up.

41. By darrenurban on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Stuart –

I don’t know if they will go after any free agents. They could look at a veteran CB. Maybe Faneca. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he does neither.

42. By Stuart on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Dareen-

Faneca sounds like a good prospect. He was awesome with the Jets. If you don’t mind me asking, whats the total players we have on roster now?

43. By alexu on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

sign someone cheap like CB Frank Walker? played for the Ravens last year.

44. By ruben on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

i like what we did in that draft we got two maybe three starters but whiz always says he likes competition at every position and i really dont see that right now at CB.I think alan faneca is a upgrade in guard position over well and deuce but i really dont see him coming here especially now that we need to bring somebody at CB but im pretty sure whiz and grave have a plan going forward i dont think toler show enough during that season to consider him a starter i hope they didnt base that decision of trading mcfadden just on toler last game that was a blow up when he went in a played well.i guess nfc west is going to come down to if san francisco with their big offensive line can run over that cardinals defense line but we should see long time before that

45. By shannonrobinson on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

The cornerback ‘situation’ comes down to the Cards belief in Jorrick Calvin from Troy University. Mr. Graves and Coach ‘got their man.’ The organization prepared for this by signing Trumaine McBride. He is an NFL starter. Trumaine is 5’9″ and we know that the Cards look for the size of the heart in the man…..We will keep 5 cornerbacks so they are DRC,Toler,J. Calvin,Money Adams, and Trumaine McBride. A J Jefferson is a top rookie free agent. The intriguing selection in this draft is O’Brien Schofield who will probably go on the PUP list and then Injured Reserve under the guidance of John Lott.He was a QB sack leader in the NCAA. I believe in modern surgery for players and I know what John Lott can do with our latest Irishman, O’Brien. I think the Cards will keep 9 linebackers so there is no room for O’Brien this year anyway – he’s comparable to a number one choice next year, actually better.

46. By darrenurban on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Stuart –

Not sure. You’re welcome to check the roster via the home page. It is up to date through the draft.

47. By darrenurban on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Azfan –

I could see them considering a free agent.

48. By chad anderson on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

we need to go out and get Ex-Jets G Alan Faneca instead of Duice Latuie G ( however you speel that name?)!

49. By Matto on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Im very pleased with rounds 1-3, admittedly 4-7 surprised me a bit, particularly the trade of Mcfadden, but in whiz we trust eh? All in all I think things went pretty well

Hey Darren, could you at some stage give us a list of all the undrafted players we signed afterwards? There are some on nfl.com but i doubt its a full list.

Thanks

50. By darrenurban on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Matto –

That list will be officially announced Monday.

51. By Beast Mode on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Andre Roberts is going to be the next Steve Smith, he plays just like him and was drafted 3rd round just like him. I hope he gets some playing time this season.

52. By redseafan85 on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Darren!!

I find it hilarious that you are already back bloggin again. I love what the cards did in the draft they made some great picks in which I think at least a few will start. Do you see Andre Roberts starting immediately at the 4WR? Who do you think will challenge him the most for the position? Thanks for the great work

GO CARDS!!! SOON TO BE THREE TIME NFC WEST CHAMPS!!!!!

53. By alexu on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

We should consider signing Dre’ Bly or Frank Walker for depth for sure, i like Frank Walker, he was the NO.3 in Baltimore and played nickle, and he would do the same here.

54. By alvaden on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I’m pretty excited about Stephen Williams from Toledo. I think this kid could make it! Take a look..,

55. By alvaden on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Alfonso Smith is interesting because of his 4.3 forty time..,

56. By Jason on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I sure hope the Cardinals have some plans for our secondary… That was one of our week spots last season. I could care less that we lose McFadden because he sucked anyways… But we need to fill that whole quickly. It wasn’t deep to begin with, then they trade McFadden away and draft a question mark???

57. By ruben on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

dude sure made alot of catches just out jumping his defender ala fitz

58. By Frankie on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

pritty exited about the draft just don’t understand why we passed up Dorin Dickerson he could of been a great 3rd down TE …

59. By CMacyn on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Wow… Stephen Williams does look very promising. Darren, there has to be a possibility we keep all WR rookies we got seeing as how we lost three this year?

60. By TucsonTim on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Daren -

Did the Cards have their ortho guy look at Shofield’s ACL repair?

61. By Matto on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

I have to admit too Williams does look like he could be a good player down the line, although by the looks of things he needs to work on getting his feet down first on sideline catches.

62. By wampag on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

well today a lot of decent players will be let go…Henderson from the jags I think would be great here they also realeased two others we should take a look at

hey D I know we have to bring in a veteren CB Hood and McFadden didn’t make Whiz’s cut so who is out there? with the Mcfadden trade i have a feeling they know which direction they are going do you have an idea of who they are looking at?

63. By Michael from stl on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

We signed undrafted QB Max Hall from BYU and this kid is stellar and no one yet has signed WR Danario Alexander form Mizzou this kid is a beast and was consdiering in the top 5 best recievers last year and i think the cards should get him and who cares if we already got some recievers this guy is better, just look at him i wish i could get a video of all his highlights
    Copy nd paste this

64. By alvaden on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

A offensive player evaluater (Matt Waltman) describes Andre Robert’s draft pick as follows:

Some teams have a successful track record as talent evaluators of specific positions.

Arizona Cardinals

WR Andre Roberts, The Citadel, 3rd Round: The Cardinals have a feel for picking productive receivers who have the physical mind-set to make catches in traffic, the skill to break tackles and the versatility to make plays anywhere on the field. Roberts is a fine addition to a team that dealt Anquan Boldin to the Ravens. Roberts has the hands, speed, balance and skill after the catch to be an immediate slot receiver and punt return specialist.

What sets him apart is his refinement as a route runner. Roberts is one of the few receivers in this class who demonstrated the skill to defeat press coverage with techniques involving his feet to set up the defender and his hands to get into his routes off the line. Third-year receiver Early Doucet is as physically gifted as Roberts, but he lacks his hands.

Roberts reminds me a lot of Packers receiver Greg Jennings. If he were paired with a productive N.F.L. quarterback, he would be my dark-horse pick as a rookie of the year candidate. But his success depends too heavily on Matt Leinart, Derek Anderson or the development of the rookie John Skelton.

65. By wampag on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

D- good morning sir just heard about Adalius Thomas being let go i really think a guy like that would be perfect for us and might be a good voice in the locker room what do you think?

66. By alvaden on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

AJ Jefferson is raw but talented. In a year or two, who knows how good he could be. Kevin Siefert of ESPN had the following workout warriors.

Best in Show
    These were the top workout performers at the 2010 NFL scouting combine.

Event Player Measure
    40-yard dash WR Jacoby Ford 4.28 sec
    Bench press OL Mitch Petrus 45 reps
    Vertical jump CB A.J. Jefferson 44.0″
    Broad jump CB Chris Cook 11’0″
    3-cone drill WR Scott Long 6.45 sec
    20-yard shuttle CB A.J. Jefferson 4.00 sec
    60-yard shuttle CB A.J. Jefferson 11.04 sec

67. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn –

Long, long way to go before you can guess at that.

68. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Tucson –

Multiple times. They are confident Schofield will be fine in time.

69. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

Not sure I’d say they have to make a move. They could. But I don’t think it’s set in stone. Some of the names floated have been funny. Ty Law? He can barely move out there any more.

70. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

Good voice in the locker room? He just got cut because he was disgruntled. And where do you play him? He’s not going to be happy behind Haggans or Porter. Just don’t see it. Faneca is more likely.

71. By TucsonTim on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Thanks Darren. Sounds like Shofield was a steal in the 4th round, even if he isn’t ready to play until late in the season or even next season for that matter. Not all ACL strains, sprangs, tears etc are created equal (neither are the orthopods who fix them!). Good job Cards!

72. By We'll miss Q on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Andy, Sorry to disagree with you but we have not had a #1 pick in on time in a very long time. Yes they have not missed 3 weeks like Wadsworth, but the fact is Graves has FAILED in getting them in on time.

73. By 949Cardsfan on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Two things, What are the dates for mini camp? And when will the team release the training camp schedule? You do a great job D, keep it up!

74. By carlo7000 on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

darren
    are the rest of the rookies coming in town this week…are you going to make interwiew with them?

75. By SierraVistaNick on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Skelton looks really good! I like his mobility and accuracy while under pressure.

VERY TEACHABLE! I think we have a very solid backup and ready to take the helm when Leinert can’t. Don’t get me wrong, I’m behind Matt, but he needs to prove himself. He needs to fail and beable to bounce back from it. I think he’ll get that shot because of the backup talent. Don’t like Anderson, never have.

Who knows, I used to say Kurt was a great back-up, not a starter. BOY WAS I WRONG! His jersey is now “retired” at my house hanging on the wall. He made my Hall of Fame!

76. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

949 –

Minicamp is this weekend. Two practices Friday, two Saturday, one Sunday. Saturday morning is open to the public at Fan Fest.

Training camp dates should be out in June sometime.

77. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Carlo –

The rookies will be in for minicamp. I’m sure I will talk to some of them. Already have talked to Dan Williams a couple of times.

78. By card62 on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Turn around McFadden Turn around McFadden. Sure am glad I do not have to say that phrase ever again.

Would like to see us select another vertern CB off free agency or another teams cuts. If Adams is on the field next year in our secondary we better have a killer pass rush or our team will be killed.

Fanaca is interesting. Pittsburg does not resign him and Jets cut him after only one season. Hopefully just over money.

I am not a Wisconsin fan, but I did watch the kid we drafted play and gentlemen he is a player. I think he can play some DE for us and rush the passer in the future. Reminds me of Michigan’s Brandon Graham so we picked up a first rounder or worse case a second rounder in the 4th round. RIsk of course is involved, but I like the pick.

Loved our first 2 picks. Darren what do you think this means for B. Robinson?

Read some nice words from a poster on our WR in the 3rd round. This is the pick that bothers me the most. I hope the other poster is right and I am wrong, but I wanted Hernandez TE Florida with this pick and I wanted us to trade later picks for Teddy Ginn to be our return man and 3rd WR. Ginn is a proven player and a great return man. I know he was not a great receiver for Miami, but for us he could be used differently to stretch the field for others and catch 30 to 55 balls averaging over 20 yeards a catch..

PALKO has as much chance of playing quarterback in this league as FALCO does !!! GO Cards

79. By steve4319 on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

darren, any word on the cards going after alan faneca…

80. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Steve –

Just posted a blog touching on the topic http://bit.ly/bT7X7S.

81. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

Will there be a draft in 2011 if no new CBA is reached by the March deadline. I wouldn’t think so, but I thought I heard a Fox Sports Radio commentator comment last Thursday that there still would be a draft in 2011 if there is a lockout. I don’t see how that would be possible.

82. By zippo1976 on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Skelton is a project for sure, but he has more potential upside than any other Quarterback in the draft other than Bradford. He has the raw talent to be a superstar, and if it turns out that he is really teachable he is going to end up as a top-flight NFL starting quarterback. I’ll tell you one thing, Whiz didn’t trade up into the 5th round to draft a competent backup.

The thing I really like about picking up this kind of talent in the 5th round is that there is not going to be much pressure on Skelton in 2010, which should give him some time to develop NFL level skills. With that said, if Skelton makes good progress this year and Leinart fails to light it up, there is very little chance of Matt remaining a Cardinal past next year given that his salary is set to go up to $7.36 million plus bonuses and incentives if he is on the roster for the 2011 season.

83. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Ottis –

There will be a draft in 2011 regardless. The 2012 draft would be in jeopardy in a work stoppage/lack of CBA.