• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Skelton: A Card “in my heart of hearts”

Posted by Darren Urban on April 24, 2010 – 10:24 am

Quarterback John Skelton said “in my heart of hearts, I always hoped the Cardinals would pick me.” That’s not a surprise. The Cards worked him out at Fordham just 10 days ago, and when Skelton — 6-foot-5 and 245 pounds — compares himself to anyone, it’s Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. You know, the guy who coach Ken Whisenhunt coached in Pittsburgh and with whom passing game coordinator Mike Miller is also very familiar.

He’s raw. He threw for 3,708 yards, 26 touchdowns and 10 interceptions this past season and in his own words, he has “the leadership qualities to be a starter in the NFL and the arm to make all the NFL throws.” But the Cardinals needed a young quarterback to try and groom for the future. I don’t know if they would have considered anyone else but him, at least in the draft.

It took trading CB Bryant McFadden to move up to get him, but McFadden struggled last season and I am thinking the Cards are fine with this swap.

“In the back of my mind,” Skelton said, “I wanted to be a Cardinal.”

Tags: , , ,

65 Responses to “Skelton: A Card “in my heart of hearts””

1. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Cards’ front office: No Fear. Gotta love the boldness.

2. By Bunka on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

We now have ZERO depth at CB.

3. By vivek on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Do you think it would be worthwhile for Cards to pursue Faneca if he is indeed released by Jets ?

4. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Vivek –

Personally, no. Unless you’re getting rid of Deuce, which I don’t see why.

5. By ruben on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I HOPE THERES A BACK UP PLAN FOR CB I DONT LIKE MICHEAL ADAMS AS MY THIRD CB

6. By kdohi on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

WELCOME to ARIZONA!

7. By John on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

90 points in 2 playoff games and we dont draft a corner. Furthermore, we trade our starting corner. Is there a player we are going to sign at corner ? Man, I hope so.

8. By TBru on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

no need to rush Skelton, yea he has to be ready in case of an injury but he gets to be in a great position to not have to come in and be the savior right away. I think that is best way to groom a QB.

If Graves’ comments about Schofield prove accurate this could be a very solid draft.

9. By Tom on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Skelton is a great pick…look forward to seeing him develop as he looks on film to be a great QB – athletic, mobile and has a good arm on him. Looks like he has a different throwing motion to other QB’s though (more like Tebow used to), will this be a problem like everyone though it would for TT?

I take it means Toler and DRC will be starting CB’s next year – will probably take one with our last 2 picks this year or see who is a UFA when all is done?

10. By John on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Team that hurt us last year were teams who went 3 and 4 wide, because we couldnt match up with our nickle and dime packages. Losing Mcfadden and drafting no corners is a mistake unless there is someone you are looking to pick up. Adams and Brown are not answers.

11. By CardinalSwagger on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I’m upset that we gave a draft pick, draft pick and a player for QB just happy that he got drafted in a weak QB draft. This blog just tries to sell this decision to us fans but I’m not buying! Just because you put Ben Roethlisberger in a sentence doesn’t mean he will be the same player as him. Well I’m not going to get emotional about this we still have sometime till the season starts.

12. By georgiebird on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

It won’t be long before he’s called “Big Red” Skelton

13. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

CardinalSwagger –

That’s right, I’m just a spin doctor here.

Good thing you’re not getting emotional.

14. By Jcaswellsr on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Huh, maybe we can set a new record now in the playoffs. Can anybody say 100 points in two games. Let Whiz know I think I can play some corner cause it looks like thats who we will be playing there. Guys off the street. LOL. This draft has gotten bad fast.

15. By RichUK1234 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

CardinalSwagger -

“compares himself to anyone”

For the sake of everyone who reads comments, please read the blogs, and take your tawdry comments elsewhere.

Keep it up Darren.

16. By Dan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

we have very little quality depth at CB, do they plan on bringing back Ralph brown ? and i would hope they are gonna take one in rd 6 or 7

17. By Skiptim on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

Not to sound like a Newbie McNooberstein, but do you think there is a shot at a big trade, for someone like Nnamdi Asomugha?

18. By Jedihillis on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Hmmm, I’m sad to hear McFadden is gone. Who else do we have at corner besides DRC? Toler is going to be getting some reps I’m sure but I feel we need to get some leadership there.

Happy to hear we got at least 1 QB though. We’ll see how he works out.

19. By Ctownbeatdown on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

sports science compared him to peyton manning

20. By Tyler on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren,
    I just noticed Travis Laboy signed with the 49ers. WTF. Why didn’t we try to get him? He was awesome while he was here with us. Now our rivals have some pass rushers to assist patrick willis and taylor mays.

21. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Dan –

Brown I don’t see coming back. I would think it’ll be addressed soon.

22. By Justin on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

The brass would not have traded McFadden away if they didn’t have a plan in mind. I trust that they have confidence in the current guys to get better as well as a plan to bring someone in. Its not like McFadden was a huge upgrade over Rod Hood & Eric Green anyways. I trust The Whiz.

23. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Skip –

He makes WAY too much. He’s untradeable.

24. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Tyler –

Your definition of awesome and the Cards’ definition I am thinking are wide apart.

25. By AZfAn808 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    do you see the cardinals getting jammal brown?

26. By Eric on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Hello Darren,
    I wonder if the Cards expressed any interest in Kirk Morrison (before he got traded).

27. By 949Cardsfan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Im about to flip my lid again with the choice to trade a starting corner. We are now desperately thin at a very important position. But, I have learned, Im not going to second guess the Whiz just yet. He’s proven to have a pretty well thought out plan. Just when you think he’s lost it, Dansby and Rolle, he suprises you with a Washington and a Rhodes. Prove me right Whiz!!!!

28. By Skiptim on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I figured it might be a slight possibility with all the people we lost and all the money we’ve potentially saved.

29. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Eric –

I don’t believe so.

30. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

949 –

The chances were great McFadden was not going to be starting. Toler was going to be there.

31. By 949Cardsfan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Just think if DRC takes longer than expected to return to full strength, or even worse, gets hurt again. Mike Adams and Toler? Thats not gonna come close to cuttin’ it. Whiz has gotta have something up his sleeve.

32. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

But Travis did bring The Belt :)

Re CB, I trust the big shots, but they sure are playing over my head. Can’t wait to see what they do next. A lot more exciting than I can ever remember. We were always just trying to get bodies in the past. Now we have depth at basically every position but one, CB. Guess thats not bad.

So, WhizGraves get the beneift of the doubt with me and I await their mastery (mystery!).

33. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Azfan –

34. By 949Cardsfan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Starter or not, he provided depth, he was still gonna play a lot of downs against 3 and 4 wides. I’m not comfortable at all going into camp with a CB depth chart of: 1.DRC 2.Toler 3.Adams. Are you? Is Whiz?

35. By D Kerry on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Mcfadden’s best year was when he played in nickle situations. We had him as a regular cover guy. He is just not that good as a regular corner. I hope we pick up a good corner to go with DRC because he may not be 100% this year either.

36. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

949 –

I’m not arguing your point. But you called him a starter, and he wasn’t going to be. And $4.75 M is a lot for a third CB.

37. By paydaman90 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

We will be alright Whiz and them know exactly whats going down and why.

38. By Vegas Cards on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Donovan Warren- Michigan CD 201st!!! Please!!

39. By 949Cardsfan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

I see your point, it always comes back to money. As just a fan, we often lose sight of the business side of it. I wasnt a McFadden fan anyways, avg at best, it shouldnt be to hard to find a veteran or rookie with his skill set. Go Cards!

40. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Troy State CB. Got er done. Theye must have had a bead on this guy.

41. By CardinalSwagger on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Apologies, I did not try to offend you nor fans. I know you been dealing with some questionable people on your blogs and I don’t want to be one of them. I wasn’t emotional but I do know sometimes we take posts or texts differently. I always stay true to what the Cardinals do and will always bleed Cardinal red.

I am sorry.

42. By Deveau on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I saw they drafted Jorrick Calvin, CB in the 6th. Any insight, since I don’t even know who this kid is.

Thanks,

Cris

43. By Vegas Cards on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Jorrick Calvin = Young Ralph Brown… Still Thinking Donovan Warren would have been a great fit!

44. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Swagger –

No worries. We move on.

It’s the passion of the fans that drives this bus in the first place.

45. By KG on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I have to be honest, we are setting ourselves up to shoot ourselves in the foot without depth at cornerback. I agree picking up developmental players will be integral in the youth of our team but at the same time we can’t sacrifice much at a position that requires demanding play. We either need to pick up a couple undrafted DB’s (including a safety) and hope someone steps it up or sign a veteran or two we can depend on late in the year. Other than the cornerbacks we have had a great draft, the Cardinals look immensely deep in their line and linebacker core, John Skelton will develop well as a third-string QB and the Citadel WR Andre Roberts will add another weapon to our offense. I’ve seen the Cardinals use techniques in this draft I haven’t in the past couple. It’s obvious that Whisenhunt is having more say in our picks and I’m loving it! Thanks for the updates Darren.

46. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

CB Bottom Line: You can’t be always “lost” in coverge and get paid $5M. Any pro could have done better than B. Toast McFad…ok, M. Adams did struggle, but he made the hit that got us to Rd 2 of Playoffs. He seems to have upside po.The Troy CB has Toler DRC potential written all over him (he better;).

47. By Vegas Cards on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Wow I see, I was Hoping for LeFevour, But Skelton is a few inches taller,..Hope he has a stronger arm.. is Skelton a Righty or Lefty anyone know?

48. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Deveau –

Just posted a blog.

49. By azcardsrule on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

skelton should be a nice develpmental qb hopefully leinart works out but i see skelton as possibly a future starter couple years down the road

50. By Dan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Mcfadden was terrible all last year. I don’t consider what he brings to the table ‘depth’

51. By johnnybluenose on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

i think we need guys who can play now, even if they are low on the depth chart. calvin won’t dress this year and skelton won’t step foot on the field once the ball is kicked off. time will tell if these were wise picks but they sure befuddle me.

52. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Johnnyblue –

There are very, very few fifth- and sixth-round rookies that dress on game days for teams that just went to the playoffs. Those guys are available in the fifth and sixth rounds. It wouldn’t have mattered who they picked.

53. By rich on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

All you screaming for a corner, lmao. The saints and packers killed us cause rodgers and brees had ALLLL DAYYY to throw. CALM DOWN AZ FANS.. Mcfadden was picked on all year too.

54. By rich on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

OH, and corners prosper due to pass pressure. EXAMPLE.. THE superbowl runner ups, Their corners are protected by that pass rush, NO is the same too

55. By mike b on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren- this is magnifisent news to me i wanted him here and I have won the bet thank you cards for giving me my two most wanted things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

56. By Ben on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Maybe we can just put an extra line backer in the middle and the the CB position empty?

57. By Doug on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I think they should of gone after a big name Q.B. Leinert has proven nothing in the last 4-5 years he’s been with the Cards. I would have liked to see the Texas kid that got taken in the third round teamed up with his wide-out Jordan Shipley…

The other thing they always missed is a good solid tight end and there was several available.

58. By Arnold on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

John Skelton’s PRO Day at Fordham:

59. By Keitho on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Personally I have no problem trading away Mc Fadden. I thought he really struggled last year. Not sure how well Toler will do but I dont think he can do much worse that Mc Fadden. Plus Skelton looks like he could be trained into something pretty useful!

60. By Edward on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I trust the Whiz, he has gotten us to the playoffs and the superbowl, so people need to stop worrying we will be fine. Not every postion can be filled with a great player, just fact. We got people that we needed the most, and filled other postions that we needed filled not wanted!

61. By ZONAFAN on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

cb we need how about samari rolle good vet

62. By ZONAFAN on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

new black jerseys are sweet. does anyone realize seattle picked up white and washington wow we better wacth that team ver closely

63. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

I love the ultra-tight spiral that comes with John’s cannon arm. He’s got a chance to be really special. But so too does Matt Leinart.

I don’t want summer to be over so soon, but I can’t wait for the preseason.

64. By Richard meagher on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Skelton could be the cardinals future in about two to three years. he has good size and can really throw the ball.I like what the cardinals did in the draft.they also signed Max Hall from byu as a fa. they have brought in three new qb’s which says to me that they do not have a lot of confidence in Matt Leinart.the cardinals organization is now one of the nfl’s best and they know how to draft.

65. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Richard –

They went to camp with four quarterbacks last year too. Did that tell you they didn’t have a lot of confidence in Kurt Warner?