• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.
  • Fri., May. 23, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp.
  • Sat., May. 24, 2014 8:00AM MST Rookie minicamp Rookie minicamp

Toler says he’ll “keep working”

Posted by Darren Urban on April 24, 2010 – 12:48 pm

Greg Toler answered his phone and was clearly surprised teammate Bryant McFadden was gone.

“He was traded?” Toler said. “I just woke up … No wonder I have all these people calling me.”

Toler was going to get calls. The second-year cornerback had a good chance of unseating McFadden as a starter across from Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in 2010 but the McFadden deal sealed it. Not that Toler wanted to dwell on it. “You know me,” Toler said. “I just want to keep working. Coming from a small school (St. Pauls) you have to keep working. You’ve just got to be ready and capitalize when the opportunity comes.”

Toler had one interception in limited defensive work last season, one more pick than McFadden. His tools have been compared with DRC and now, he’s one of the “veterans” of a very young cornerback group which grew when the Cards drafted Troy’s Jorrick Calvin Saturday.

“I just want to fill a role,” Toler said.

Now, that role is of starter.

Tags: , ,

37 Responses to “Toler says he’ll “keep working””

1. By Skiptim on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Darren -

What is a quick positional prediction for the final pick?

2. By azcardsrule on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

is dorin dickerson still available like ben patrick and becht but he would be a nice speedy edition

3. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Skip –

No idea. OL?

4. By jason on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Im happy to see toler in the staring cb position.time to shine greg toler.

5. By dylan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

azcard-

yes dorin dickerson is still available and if he is when the cards come up to pick they better pick him lol

6. By Vegas Cards on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Dorin Dickerson is still available, however we have enough TE on the roster! Yes I think the guy has skills, but a need right NOW? IDK

7. By Paul on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

“Just woke up”. Ah, to be an NFL player in the off season. :-)

8. By Vegas Cards on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Scratch that he’s a texan now! :(

9. By dylan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

looks like the texans took dorin

10. By Chuck on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Tolar should work out fine,but we still need depth.We get burned on passing downs!Tall,fast and smart nickel and dime backs!

11. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Chuck –

Tall, fast and smart cornerbacks are first-round picks. Every team wants more of them. Easier said than done.

12. By Vegas Cards on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I’d like to see us acquire Owen Daniels from the texans! He is restricted…Not sure the specifics

13. By Randy on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I hope we draft Blount with this last pick. Yeah the guy has some baggage, but can you imagine that trip? Beanie, Blount and Hightower. Holy crap, that’s a three headed monster run game I wouldn’t even want to imagine playing against.

14. By Vegas Cards on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

We take Donovan warren here and secure our DB/CB Situation He plays S/CB/DB PLEASE Finish on this!

15. By Andrew on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Very nice draft for the cards!! Extremely excited for the new season!! Noticed they didn’t draft any offensive lineman, I know they feel good about some of their backups steppin up this year but…

Darren-

Clearly money would be an issue but any chance that the Cards look at Alan Faneca?

16. By carlo7000 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

darren
    do you know if a press conference about the third day of draft is coming soon?

17. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Andrew –

Don’t see it.

18. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Carlo –

Right now.

19. By Keggr12 on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Couple quick questions. Who do you think they will go after in the undrafted market? And I’m not trying to be a local homer, but McGaha from AZ St prob will be free. Not a speedy guy but could be a slot guy that has great hands and could help move the chains.

20. By Dustin on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I really hope the Cards target LaGarrette Blount, Donovan Warren and Ciron Black as undrafted free agents. I think all 3 could really help the team. Overall I’m pumped about this draft. Whiz and Graves filled some holes the last 3 days and think did a very good job.

21. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I said we needed a very damn good vet corner to teach the youngens. well, I see that comming very soon. Ty Law, Dre Bly, someone … please.. .. we dont need you to play a lot at all. but I’m scared to death of young talent without leadership.

22. By DRC#1FAN on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

I feel that we did so well in the first part of the draft. I like that Skeleton has a bad ass name and is 6 foot 5. awesome. just hope he pans out as at least a viable backup to lieneart. whats the plan for corner? we got kerry rhodes to stop the huge plays, but now we take away an nfl vet from our already low amount of DB’s. Frankly, I thought McFadden was about to have a break out year. Whats the dealio? I want a shut down D. why are you traden the pieces? AAAGGHHH!!! jk. McFadden wasnt everything.

23. By cactus jeff on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Life long big ten fan, happy to say Schofield is a stud, better then Brandon Graham last year. Really impressed with Graves/Whiz recognizing the talent. The defense will put pressure on QBs. Expect a lot more ints from the secondary next year.

I think they will sign one more experienced player, who do you think that could be?

24. By wampag on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Ok D the dust has settled slightly i heard a crazy rumor that seattle picked two picks early as a bid to lure ML away from us with some kind of three for one deal throwing in one of their veterns maybe even Leon Washington….crazy right?

so all in all who are you must excited to see come ota’s?

and from tuypical school grades A-F what do you give the Cards?

and who in your opinion had the best day?

seattle and san fran are looking very strong and st louis might have the start of something this west division is going to be awesome for the next couple of years GO CARDS

25. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Cactus –

No idea. Not right now.

26. By 949Cardsfan on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

DRC-
    You dont have break out years 5 years into your career, and if we kept every middle of the road, overpaid player, we’d be exactly that, “middle of the road.” A guy like McFadden is easily replaced, and for a lot less cash.

27. By Chris B on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Toler will step up. Our secondary was never that bad (and Adams is better than McFadden). The only reason they got burned was because we didn’t get to the QB fast enough. That’ll change this year. Watch, we’ll have a D that’s in the top 10.

28. By darrenurban on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

Yes, crazy.

I’m not thinking OTAs. I just want a day off right now.

I don’t do grades. No way to tell how this turns out until after the 2011 or 2012 season.

29. By alexu on Apr 24, 2010 | Reply

Lets pick up Dre’ Bly.

30. By Blair on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Adams is better than bmac? HAHAHAHA some one doesnt watch football… or is smoking sherm…

31. By Capital Card on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

I know coach preaches competiton at every position, but by trading away McFadden, it’s hard to see anyone other than DRC and Toler starting.

It’s a frightening thought, in my opinion, as DRC’s play was erratic last season, while Toler’s contributions were minimal at best.

Am I missing something – or is this what “rebuilding” looks like?

32. By darrenurban on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Capital –

I understand the concern, but if you saw DRC and Toler that way, how did you see McFadden?

33. By wampag on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

ha ha D- hope the b-ball was fun and you had a day off

do you know how grabbed the puncher RB from oregon can’t remeber his name

34. By darrenurban on Apr 25, 2010 | Reply

Wampag –

I believe Blount signed as a rookie FA with the 49ers.

35. By Cornelius Kidwell on May 6, 2010 | Reply

I think Toler has the Potential to be one of the Best in our secondary. Not to add he only played Three games last year with significant playing time at DB,u have to get into the rhythm and build confidence .I think once Toler goes threw OTA’s and come back for camp he should be the man,and he tackles. People we gotta look DRC first year he wasn’t all peaches in creme but once we started putting him in the fire he built confidence and knew all the do’s and don’ts which came from experience.I think with our corner size speed and dedication we can possibly have one of the best secondary’s in the league,not just the NFC.

2. Apr 25, 2010: Tweets that mention Word From the Birds Blog -- Topsy.com