Undrafted rookies and vet possibilities

Posted by Darren Urban on April 26, 2010 – 10:39 am

As expected the Cardinals are bringing in 10 undrafted rookie free agents. Many names have already been floated out there, but here’s the official list:

• WR Juamorris Stewart (Southern)
  • RB Alfonso Smith (Kentucky)
  • QB Max Hall (BYU)
  • T Casey Knips (South Dakota St.)
  • WR Stephen Williams (Toledo)
  • CB AJ Jefferson (Fresno St.)
  • T Devin Tyler (Temple)
  • C David Moosman (Michigan)
  • WR Max Komar (Idaho)
  • CB Marshay Green (Mississippi)

The Cardinals are also bringing in two guys for minicamp on a tryout basis: WR Deryn Bowser and CB Justin Miller. Miller was a second-round pick in 2005 with the Jets and also has been with the Raiders. Bowser played at Akron this past season.

The look at Miller gives perspective of what the Cardinals are searching for cornerback support, if they actually sign a veteran. They aren’t going to chase a “name” free agent because they believe Greg Toler will be the starter. They want a veteran to serve in a reserve role, and many “name” guys would be looking to start I would think — and at least get some starter money.

The same goes with G Alan Faneca. GM Rod Graves told me this morning the Cardinals will likely touch base with Faneca’s agent, but I didn’t get the sense this is something the Cards will push for. The way I see it, Faneca definitely will be looking to start and I don’t think the Cards feel that’s the best direction to go in right now. If nothing else, it may spark Deuce Lutui to finally sign his tender offer, because at this point he surprisingly hasn’t and remains away from the team as minicamp approaches.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

92 Responses to “Undrafted rookies and vet possibilities”

1. By Scott Shipley on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

One of my biggest disappointments this draft weekend was that the Cards did not draft Max Hall at QB. I feel a little bit better now. I know he is a long shot to make the team, but at least he has a chance now. Bring on the 2010 season!!!

2. By dylan on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

i have heard Aj jefferson is the best undrafted player out there and probably should of been drafted. i hope this guy makes the team and does great

3. By scott on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

is there any reasoning why Deuce hasnt signed his tender yet?

4. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Scott —

You’d have to ask him.

5. By LadyCard04 on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Good morning Darren – Hope you have gotten some rest since Saturday. RE Faneca: I heard numbers of $11m for the next two years. That seems to be pretty high for the Cardinals to be spending or am I wrong?

I’m hopeful about most of the draft and the only player I have reservations about is Jorrick Calvin. No real reason – just a feeling, but last year I had a good feeling about LSH and took all kinds of ribbing from my husband until about the second game…Now he’s on board about LSH. I hope I’m wrong.

6. By Chris on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Short and Sweet….Chances of us makin a run at Adalius Thomas?

Cards biggest fan in PA

7. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Chris —

Don’t see why.

8. By wampag on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

D- Ty Law might not be able to move but the guy knows how to play surprisingly he might actually work for what they need……are seattle and san fran starting to scare you as much as me yes i know a lot of work to be done but the moves they are making are in the right step

9. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

LadyCard —

Don’t see Faneca fitting, in price or on the roster.

10. By dylan on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

who do you feel was the cards best pick

11. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Yes, those teams seem to be improving, but you couldn’t expect them to struggle forever.

12. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Dylan —

I think the first two picks helped them a lot with talent in holes they had.

13. By wampag on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

D- it would have been nice if they stayed in the basement st louis looks to be doing something as well all up to SB maybe ML will have some insights into PC for us…and Chris I am the biggest CARDS fan in PA ha ha ha if you or any other CARDS fan is near Philly on Sundays let me know sometimes cheering by yourself seems weird

can be contacted at m.jordan@nrscouture.com

GO CARDS

14. By wampag on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

hey D- I know this isn’t Whiz’s style at all but I know it has to have been asked….has he ever commented about big ben’s attitude in the locker room?

I bet Porter would comment…ha ha ha

From PFT:
    Asked by Esiason whether Roethlisberger is well liked in the Steelers’ locker room, Cowher gave an answer that sounded a little uncomfortable and suggested that what the Steelers like about Roethlisberger is confined to what he does on Sundays.

“Uh, you know, I mean, you know what Boom, I think it’s all,” Cowher stammered at first, before continuing, “I think we like anybody that can help us win football games.”

15. By steve on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Hi Darren: If you had to guess, does O’brien Schofield get on the field this year and contribute or does he sit out the entire season to rehab for 2011?

16. By Vegas Cards on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

I don’t understand the “worry” aspect of our division opponents.. I am sick of hearing everyone bash the NFC West saying it is the “Weakest division in NFL football”. And the only reason the Cards get into the playoffs is because our division opponents have been non-existent. I love that our division foes are getting better! It makes our division tougher, therefore makes our players have to step it up, rather than saying, “Were playing the RAMS again!” Easy WIN… I believe the only way the cardinals get respect is if our division gets better, and we continue to beat them on a consistent basis. Hey, at least we could get more primetime games..

17. By card62 on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren

Little off topic, but what can you tell us about Trumaine McBride?
    I was in China for a few weeks and did not even know he was on our team.
    What role do you see him filling for us in the 2010 season?

18. By jetsreamgreen81 on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren: What about looking into Danario Alexander WR from Mizzou? He only led the nation in receiving yards and was up there in TD’s. He is a free agent and is 6’5″ and yes, isn’t that fast but he was Mizzou’s only weapon and still put up those #’s I think he could help the team and would love to see him in a Cards uniform. Great draft and can’t wait for the season

19. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Steve —

Absolutely no clue.

20. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Card62 —

McBride is a shorter (5-9) corner who started for a time in Chicago. He’ll be in the mix as the nickel guy.

21. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Jetstream —

If they haven’t already signed a guy, he’s not coming here.

22. By Nicholas B on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

hey wampag, I live in New Jersey, I’m from Mesa, AZ…big Cardinals fan…I go to all east coast games…I’m about a hour from Philly…I went to the Cardinals/Eagles Thanksgiving Night game back in 2008….also attended the Cards/Jets, Cards/Skins, Cards/Panthers, Cards/Panthers playoff game, and Super Bowl for the 08 season, in 09 I went to the Cards/NYG game, and Cards/Bears game……I saw a good amount of Cardinals fans at the Bears game, but at the NYG game, I saw two other people in red…

-Nick

23. By gang6230 on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

i believe the cards did a great job, in the draft. i have been a cards fan since the
    old days of the late 70. and what i now see is a totally different team, relevant,
    competitive, and passionate about football. i believe we will see them pushing towards the Superbowl again.

24. By awesomest on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

i thought i was Pa’s biggest card fan? (16 years,700 level seating) anyway we need big corners now!.greg toler didnt he run out of his sneaker while getting beat in the green bay game? the dbacks scare me.and that 5’8 guy needs to go

25. By Erik Osborn on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

How much salary have we saved this year with the trade of McFadden and everything else? That’s 5 million right there. McFadden, Gandy, Warner, Rolle, Dansby and Chike are close to $40 million combined, right? Porter, Hadnot, and Anderson are around $12 million from what I’ve seen. Plus we’ve picked late the last 3 years with Whiz winning, so we don’t have those ridiculous top 10 rookie contracts. Seems like now would be the time to extend Dockett and a few others that deserve like maybe Breaston or Deuce. It’s not going to get any cheaper.

26. By wampag on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Nicholas B..I was at that thanksgiving game on the eagels sideline by the 30 right across the way i saw some red my hat was thrown on the field for that game…wanted to go to giants but no one was up for it…they don’t seem to be too close this year but maybe playoffs…playoffs ha ha

GO CARDS

27. By Charlie Hubbard on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

A number of veterans have been cut since the draft. Are any scheduled for a visit or has the team referenced them in any discussions?

28. By dylan on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

i have been a fan since i was 10 now 18 and yes the cards do seem to be alot better choices since whiz and graves have taken over

29. By Travis on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

I am curious do you think dueces old college coach Pete Carroll coaching in the NFL has anything to do with duece angling his way out of AZ?

30. By John on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Justin Miller has had alot of success in the return game but not sure he is much of an upgrade at corner. Both AJ Jefferson and Marshay Green are punt/KO returners also. Green is another little guy at 5’9″ , but Jefferson is 6′ and 193 with a 4.42 40. He wasn’t productive though and had 0 INT’s in 22 starts. Jorrick Calvin did not play in 2009. We will see what he can do in OTA’s and Training camp. That leaves Adams and Mcbride, who both are very small CB’s.

IMO – we are in great need of bringing in another corner. I think the need to bring in a guy like Mike McKenzie,Anthony Henry, or Deshea Townsend or even Dre Bly. I believe these players are at the point of their career that they would take being role players. In todays football, a third CB is on the field alot.

I feel the Cards did a great job of addressing all our other positions. We have depth at every other position like I’ve never seen before as a long time card fan. Just would feel better if we brought in a corner with experience and is taller than my 13 year old daughter.

So Darren, Whiz has alwys believed in competition. So why wouldnt he bring in someone who could challenge Toler for the CB spot ? I mean a guy with real experience.

31. By Kip Cotter on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

I have been a fan since the begining of Jim Hart QB days. I will always be a fan. One suggestion though coach. Don’t play so conservative. Take the chance your competition wouldn’t expect when you need that extra score. Good job guys………..Kip

32. By Eric on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Any indication as to whether Dockett is going to show up for mini-camp?

33. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Charlie —

Not right now.

34. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Travis —

No, I don’t think there is a connection.

35. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

John —

Competition is one thing. But vets with names don’t want competition, and their salaries usually mean that competition is a relative thing. Sometimes, you want to grow your own.

36. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Eric —

He’ll be here. It’s mandatory.

37. By christian on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

what up darren. now darnell is a cool guy i talked to him on the phone met him and i tweet him alot lol but sees like he jus partying it up i mean its the off season but jus he hasnt went to anything. whats up with that?

38. By John on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Alright Darren,
    So you feel comfortable with a guy with no NFL starts being backed up by a guy who hasnt played college football in a year and Adams, who was taken advantage of every time he hit the field?

If we aren’t looking for a trade for corner, we better be looking at an experienced CB to sign.I would rather bring in a vet to start and let Toler get some more experience at Nickle.Then draft another corner next year if Calvin doesnt look to play the part.

Last year, we thought we were OK with passrushing OLB’s who didnt produce the year before and two rookies. We came into the offseason this year looking for a proven passrusher. Do we really want to do that at CB?

39. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Christian —

Darnell would like a new contract and that’s a big reason he doesn’t do the voluntary work. But I guarantee you he is working out on his own.

40. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

John —

It doesn’t matter if I am comfortable or not. I don’t coach the team, I don’t run the personnel department and I don’t cut the checks.

I get what you would rather do with Toler. But the coaches think he can start.

41. By C on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

John-
    the cards had 43 sacks last year, thats the 6th most in the nfl so the pass rush wasnt as bad as you think. just trust whiz and graves. if they think toler is good enough to start then i know hes good enough to start

42. By Lou on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

i think toler can be the real deal. Ya he might not have any starts under his belt but how is he going to learn, in my mind he is a upgrade over mcfadden. AJ Jefferson could be a stud on this team, if the cardinals give him a good shot to make the team. like everyone else i would love to bring in a ty law or a Deshea Townsend but the cardinals wont do that. All in all toler is a big upgrade over what we have had here in the az, think back Tom knight, starks, Eric green, give the kid a shot first before we bag on him… Also they need to lock up dockett and breaston long term they have the money lets get it done..

43. By SierraVistaNick on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Dockett hasn’t been to offseason work for te past 2 years. This will make 3. It almost always seems that the defensive big dawg of any team doesn’t show up for voluntary stuff. I just imagine if he did! Dockett’s a beast, and with the inside addressed, chills! (Can ya feel it!)

Gettin excited! 2010 is gonna be great!

44. By lg on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

alan faneca will fit perfect with the cardinals that’s the best news i’ve heard all day if you want your QB to do well you got to invest in some block

45. By Greg on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

hey wampag,
    i am also a huge cardinals fan surrounded by eagles fans. I am moving to philly for grad school next weekend. where do you watch games?
    Id love to catch other fans in the area. my email is gregorysbradley@yahoo.com

46. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

John

“Mike McKenzie age 33,Anthony Henry age 33,
    or Deshea Townsend age 34 or even Dre Bly age 32″

These CB’s can we say are not a long term solution.

The only thing that held G Toler back was B McFadden and he is gone so if the Cards made the move they have good reason. Whiz and Co. drafted DRC that alone should prove the Cards know what to look for in a CB. GT will be the starter paired with DRC and
    there is still time to bring in a vet or two.

I scratched my head when the Cards made the J Calvin pick but like D-Urb said “Sometimes, you want to grow your own.”

47. By Nick Pepe on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren – thanks for the coverage, awesome stuff.
    @ Chris/Nick/Wampag – I have been a Cards fan my whole life, I am from Newark, De.. and from the sounds of it we need a gathering one Sunday afternoon somewhere. Someone start looking at a date.
    And I know I am Delaware’s # 1 Cards fan.

@ Nick B- I was at Cards/Giants as well….as was my wife, so it was at least 3! My guess 1,500 or so, the red was out there.

48. By John on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Let me make sure I said this clearly,

Toler starting is not the problem. I think we need to add seasoned vet at CB.
    Darren replied they would want to start.
    Then, I said I would then, rather have a vet come in and start for a year and let Toler play nickle and draft a corner next year to play nickle.
    This is a better option than letting Toler start and put Adams on the slot or Calvin (who, again hasnt played in a year) or sign Justin Miller, who is only a KO/PRer.

Its not a knock on Toler and I’m not looking for a long term solution with the vet.
    Its like what we did with Porter. Bring in a vet till you see what you truely have instead of sayin, oh, we should have had someone after the fact.

PS, C. I was referring to OLB’s. How many sacks did we get out of our starters? That is the reason we brought in Porter.

49. By Jerry on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Why don’t we make a solid move at the WR spot? Go for a RFA like Vincent Jackson or Miles Austin in an attempt to keep a solidified 3 set that are great targets for our QB to throw to? Don’t care for him really but could we possibly strike a deal for a little less than Boldin money with T.O. for a year?

At CB why are we not trying for a solid there either? Ty Law and Samari Rolle are both still on the board. True they are vets but they are still an option? I know we are trying to get younger but at the same pace I believe we still need to know what we are doing out on the field if we plan on getting back to the SB!

We only have 2 solidified WR’s. Early Doucet has made progress but I feel we are need of a secured 3rd to keep a strong set as what we had with Fitz, Boldin, Breaston.

50. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Jerry —

I suppose I could address this to many on the board.

To start, you can’t offer an RFA anymore. That deadline passed. And even when it didn’t, the Cards have Breaston and Doucet behind Fitz. They don’t need Jackson or Austin. This isn’t fantasy football where a team just chases every name out there. It makes no sense financially or in how you build a team.

Law hasn’t stayed with the same team in a few years. Rolle played in 16 games combined in 2007-08 and zero regular-season games in 2009. Yet people say, “He’s available …” Sure he’s available. And probably rated, because of age and issues, lower than a young inexperienced talent like Toler. Or even Trumaine McBride.

I have said it before and I will say it again, it doesn’t work that way. Teams look at all the available players and chase those who they think fit and will help. No one knows exactly how these players are graded by each team. But anyone waiting for some stunning vet to be signed (unless, again, it’s a guy cut at the end of camp) is going to be disappointed. If Rolle or Law are so worth it, how come they aren’t on a roster already. Thirty-two teams are taking a pass on them.

51. By Big D on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

do you think the cards will look at John Henderson from the jags who just got cut hes a huge dt that could play nose tackle and help our depth there.

52. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Big D —

53. By wampag on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

hey D there are a lot of us from all over the country reading you and I know someone tried to do this before and as of yet hasn’t seemed to work but maybe you can get some “assistance” from corporate…..do you think they would add a “fan” page to the site or maybe have the blog record more details
    something that could actively show the fans in your area and a way to contact them would be great

also having an out of state credit card really hurts during playoffs and other ticketed events is there anyway we can be recoginized as fans????

if anyone has any suggestions or knows of any sites that offer this now let me know m.jordan@nrscouture.com

GO CARDS

54. By SOLSON on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Will the Cards be taking a look at Mike Nixon from ASU?

55. By John on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

One more comment about our CB;

This is a passing league and teams run 3-4 wides(just like us). Getting to the Superbowl will mean facing those Saints, Viking and Packer passing games, along with the cowboys trio of Williams, Dez Bryant and Miles Austin . Do you really want Adams in the slot? Do you feel good about a rookie who hasnt played in a year? Would Justin Miller ease your mind? Im just saying.. Get a vet

56. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Sol —

57. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

I understand the issue with the credit card situation, but unless you have a way to figure it out, the way it is now — to prevent other fan bases from taking over the stadium — isn’t going to change.

As for a fan-meet-up page I will see what I can do.

58. By alvaden on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Keep in mind that in order to get to the Superbowl you need to beat your division opponents. Think Ted Ginn, Golden Tate, Marty Gilyard. All speed guys now in the division. It’s a game of matchups in the defensive backfield. Look at how many teams rotate their best DB on Fitz, Johnson, and Rice to avoid size/speed mismatches. The Cardinals seem to be undergoing a paradymn shift in draft philosophy as well, where you can also address the future instead of mortgaging everything each year to get that one winning season. We’ve been there, done that. It means they have confidence in their previous players selected in the recent draft, and thier abiility to evaluate talent, a confidence that it seems some are slow in acquiring. Did Steve Breaston scare you? Calais Campbell? LaRod Stefans? Hightower. These guys have hit home runs consistently in their drafting. The New York times offensive statistical evalutor pointed to the Cardinals as a team most competent in selecting skilled offensive talent. They indicated that Andre Roberts could be a dark horse rookie of the year talent if they were more sure of Lienart. I’m not a blind homer, I’m just not feeling the fear I hear out there.

59. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

John

Depth is an issue at CB I agree, these are the current names with NFL experience.

Barksdale, Rashad DB ACT 6’0″ 208
    Adams, Michael DB ACT 5’8″ 181
    McBride, Trumaine CB ACT 5’9″ 181

All other CB on roster are Rookies!!!!!

Cards need to fix this ASAP!!!!

60. By BigRed BIgBlue on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Moosman is a STUD! I hope he dominates in camp.

What is the story on him Darren? I thought he would get drafted middle to late rounds.

61. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

BigRed —

Don’t know. Guess we will find out soon enough.

62. By dhobbs on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Jarrett Brown, Jevan Snead, Daryll Clark, anybody but Max Hall. Not the guy i wanted on the Cardinals. His size and arm are less than adequate. I am not sure he has much pro potential. Besides Max Hall hates me!

63. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

DHobbs —

Sorry to here that. Any UDFA QB is going to have a hard time making this team ahead of two vets and a fifth-round pick the team traded up to get.

64. By AZfAn808 on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

darren-
    Do you see any chance Duece does not sign his tender? And hypothetically speaking if he does not do we sign Faneca for the right price? Thanks for the hard work

65. By Big Red on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Well to all you guys that say your Cardinal fans since way back, I’ve been a Cardinal fan since the days of John David Crow, Charlie Johnson, Sonny Randle. Most of you guys don’t even know who they ware. But anyway we’re all CARDINAL FANS!!!!!!!

66. By Sanuway on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Hey Wampag!
    I’m a 30 year cardinals fan living in south philly. my neighbors think i’m pretty crazy after runnin up and down the street in my cards gear when fitz kept scoring on the eggles in the conference game. i was yellin “you can’t stop him!” they were pretty upset lol
    Phillybouncer@yahoo.com

67. By shannonrobinson on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

The Cards have found their prototype CB. There are five cornerbacks on the roster now from small schools : Albany State, Tennesse State, Troy, Saint Paul’s (Va.), Louisiana-Lafayette. They are all young and fast and tough. Trumaine McBride is an excellent corner who started about 12 games in the NFL. The Cards have filled their hand at CB – the strategy worked – the right players are in place. Jorrick Calvin will surprise everyone at Camp – remember a lot of college kids rush to handle family emergencies and don’t get the paperwork right. They have drafted a talented player according to their small school/talent formula. A J Jefferson is a shocker to get as a free agent and again Fresno State is not a big school. These guys need repetitions in Camp not another older, slow cornerback with medical limitations.

68. By Ron D on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Darren, do you think any team is willing to take a chance on Tony Washington the OT out of Abilene Christian or do you think his checker past will haunt him?

69. By TMac86 on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

I really like the Cards 7th round pick – Dray. I found out he made 2nd team pac10 primarily for his blocking skills, opening holes for Toby Gearhart, but do you think he has a legitimate chance of making the roster? Won’t the Cards only carry 3 TE’s?

70. By freebilly on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Barksdale joined the Cards late, but was going to get move up last year to the active roster. It’s my guess, Barksdale with his 4.38 – 4.4 speed will become the new nickle for the Cards.

71. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

Ron D —

I am assuming he is an UDFA. If they haven’t brought him in already, they’re not going to.

72. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

TMac —

I think Dray is a long shot.

73. By darrenurban on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

AzFan —

I suppose if Deuce continues to sit they’d have to look at Faneca. But I still think that’s an unlikely scenario.

74. By C on Apr 26, 2010 | Reply

dont get me wrong im a lifetime cardinals fan but thats because i was born and raised in az, but the cards were barely on tv in az till they built the new stadium and they were barely national till whisenhunt so what was it that all you eastcoast fans saw about them so long ago that made you such big fans??

again im not bagging on you because i will never do that to anyone for being a cardinals fan just curious because it seems like theres alot of you

75. By Michael from stl on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Danario Alexander still a beast and we can get him cheap please get him he is amazing, i dont know how many times i have said this

76. By Michael from stl on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren what do you think of Danario Alexander

77. By cards-r-gonna rule on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Wasn’t happy with the players the cards picked, but ever player picked from round 3 on was loved by the “experts”. I do believe that our current staff/administration have a good grasp on what type of college talent translates well to the pros. I look forward to another year of positive movement by the Big Red! Looks like I’m gonna have to trade in my game day Dobler jersey for one of these new alternate black ones. Look cool. GO CARDS!!!!!

78. By Nicholas B on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

I was in a box for the eagles/cardinals game….so I didn’t catch to much **** in the box for having my Boldin jersey on…walking to the stadium from my car, and back to my car after the game…different story…what blows my mind is how the act when I have my son with me…he was 7 at the time…its like there fans have no common sense….I will never take him to a game in Philly again…in all the other cities I went to, we never had a problem rootiing for Arizona..for all you east coast fans…feel free to e-mail me if you want to attend a game, or watch some of the games somewhere e-mail listed below

-Nick

thegreatnick27@hotmail.com

79. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Michael —

Don’t know anything about him. And if the Cards haven’t signed him yet, it’s not going to happen. It’s tough to want a guy who can’t pass a physical.

80. By Nick Pepe on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

@C – Ihave been a Crads fan long before you were probably alive, long before they were in AZ, and I don’t need to explain how or why.

81. By carlo7000 on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

darren
    honestly i dont see feneca as a upgrade on our offensive line…the last year he gave up 6.5 sacks..now lutui hadnot wells are much better players..if he was so stellar like he was before i dont think the jets let him go…

82. By Jerry on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

I see your point. This isn’t fantasy football, no one does the “going and getting the good players” in any sport! The Yankees bred everyone of their players, as did the Lakers and Celtics, as did the New York Jets. Oh and the Arizona Steelers, ooops I mean the Pittsburgh Cardinals. Hmmm, You’re right Urban, as always, but before you get all “know it all” you might want to think outside the box and towards WINNING in the playoffs! Sorry that my idea of Miles Austin, Vincent Jackson, or Terrell Owens being better than Early Doucet and Andre Roberts out the gate. As for the fantasy league comment, think before you speak.

83. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Jerry —

I think all the time. Do you? Winning is important, of course. You apparently would prefer to do it now — maybe — at the cost of having any chance to do it later.

I think the idea of Owens being obviously better than Doucet is foolish. You can definitely make that argument for Austin and Jackson. But if you would’ve offered them, it would have cost you first-round pick — so no Dan Williams — a third-round pick — so no Roberts, which is OK in your scenario because you added a WR — and an enormous contract extension. All for an offense that a) already has Larry Fitzgerald and b) is going to throw less with Leinart at QB. Then, in a year, when you have to re-do Fitzgerald’s contract so he doesn’t get to free agency after 2011, you’ll be putting even that much more money into one position. Or maybe your thought is to let Fitz walk away.

And, of course, you wouldn’t have Williams to groom as a nose tackle.

84. By tnicolelloVandals on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Look out for WR Max Komar out of Idaho. If the Cards realize what kind of talent he is and keep him this season he’ll make a huge impact this season. He’s got heart and speed with a side of soft hands.

Go Vandals!

85. By Former Steeler Fan on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

To dhobbs: I am a Penn State grad and staunch football fan.

Re: your suggestion that the Cards sign Daryll Clark (the QB for the Nittany Lions for the last two years),

Clark has been the QB for the Lions for six significant games in the last two years. He played well in ONLY ONE of those six games, this year’s bowl game against LSU. He played poorly in two games against Iowa, one against USC in the Rose Bowl, two against Ohio State. Four of those five games resulted in losses. Only when Pat Devlin (who transferred to the U. of Delaware so that he could get some playing time) entered one of the games against Ohio State when Clark was injured, did Penn State win.

Additionally, Darren has already explained that the 10 UFAs are all that will signed.

86. By cj on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

I see John Skelton being the next Kurt Warner.

87. By C on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

hey nick pepe
    i was just curious and its not like i asked you personally or even doubting that your any of you are fans i just wanted to know mostly because when the cardinals were in sun devil stadium no matter who they were playing there was always more cowboy fans then cardinals fans and that really got to me. but now is see that there are fans all over the country and i love it. again, no disrespect i was just curious.

88. By Nick Pepe on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

@C – it always bugs me when someone questions my loyalty. Not that you did, but I hate the question “why are you a Cards fan?”. And it really bothers me when fans of visiting teams infiltrate our turf. I was in Sun Devil for Buddy Ryans (cringed at that hire) first win as Cards coach against the Vikes, and I felt like the visitor. But the times they are a changing! It is good to see local fans filling the stadium. Keep up the good work and keep the cowboy fans out of there on Christmas. Get me a ticket, I’ll fly out!
    Nick

89. By Ben on May 5, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    Can you please tell Larry Fitzgerald to take Stephen Williams and Juamorris Stewart with him when he goes back home… Because i know they will be great receivers under his wings

2. Apr 26, 2010: [Cardinals] Cardinals To Have CB Justin Miller In For Tryout
  3. Apr 26, 2010: [Cardinals] Cardinals To Touch Base With Free Agent OG Alan Faneca's Agent
  4. May 17, 2010: Word From the Birds Blog