Dockett has arrived

Posted by Darren Urban on April 27, 2010 – 11:04 am

The locker room was buzzing this morning. Certainly, I wasn’t going to do any entire run-down of the roster — and rookies have yet to arrive — but it looked like everyone else was there for John Lott’s final workout before minicamp starts Friday (players are off Wednesday, and have pre-camp physicals Thursday).

That group included Pro Bowl defensive tackle Darnell Dockett for the first time this offseason. Dockett, looking in shape and knocking back a homemade berry smoothie following his workout, said he plans to be around from this point forward. We’ll see how that turns out — other than the minicamp, everything else is voluntary and given his desire for a new contract, Dockett has been scarce the last couple of years for voluntary work — but he looks like he’ll be healthy for this weekend’s work.

He reflected on the changes the Cards have been through since he last spoke back the day after the season.

“We lost a lot of people who had been through big experiences with us, that started from the bottom up,” Dockett said. “A lot of people you can’t replace in terms of leadership ability and toughness, like Anquan (Boldin) … As far as the other guys they got into dream situations as free agents. Karlos (Dansby), we were together since we came in. That’s tough. But the show has got to move on. We can base our success on a few guys. The guys (filling in) know the level those guys played at. They know there are big shoes to fill.”

As for the idea Dockett will have more pressure on him in terms of a leadership role, “I think I’ll have to be more vocal and push myself to the next level. But I don’t think I have to create the will. I think we have guys who know what it takes to win. Maybe I need to be more vocal, but I can led by the way I play. That alone speaks louder than words. We have Adrian, Fitz, we just have to continue to do what we have been doing.

“We’ll have a good team. A lot of people are counting us out early and that’s OK. I think when we fight adversity it makes it better while we fly under the radar.”

Tags: , , , , ,

52 Responses to “Dockett has arrived”

1. By GMoney on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Now they need to PAY HIM!!!

2. By Bobby on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren i was wondering if when you saw docket if he really had a tattoo on his face or if it was just a twitter joke? Sorry about the blank post I accidentally hit the submit button.

3. By James on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Pay the man…..

4. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Bobby —

Totally a Twitter joke. I figured as much yesterday, which is why I didn’t post about it. But his face is clean.

5. By dylan on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

what do you think the main reason the cards wont renew docketts contract..

6. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Dylan —

I think they will. But I think they’ve tried to move to where a player is down to one year left on his deal.

7. By Jorge C. on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

I 100% agree.. PLEASE PAY THE MAN!!!!
    This guy is definitely one of the pillars of the team and unlike other high-caliber players has always strived for the success of the team through his game and not for his own. He is a great leader and its great to see him support whiz the way he does. It would be amazing to see him sign a long-term contract a la Adrian Wilson to stay in the desert, LOTS of happy cardinals fans!
    Im just sayin….

BTW its great to hear he´s back and I cant wait to see the team play!!! Dan Williams, DD and Calais campbell… that should be entretaining

8. By SierraVistaNick on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

If Dockett says he needs to step up to the next level, WOW! That’s all I gotta say! He’s a beast man!

Gettem’ Dockett! (In a throaty going into battle kinda roar!)

9. By carlo7000 on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

darren
    the rookies are in town? are you going to make interviews with them today?

10. By Ottis Anderson Fan on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren –

I wonder who has the bigger thighs – Dockett or Williams? Maybe you can get John Lott to look into that. ;)

They both have, “thunder thighs,” and I mean that in a good way.

11. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Carlo —

The rookies arrive Thursday. I’m not sure how much I will talk to them right away. Depends on who they are and what spot they are in.

12. By itsjustmeagain on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

our full back roll is filled, PAY THE MAN

13. By eddie t on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren did docket express any more frustration about the bryant mcfadden deal or did seem cool about the situation?

14. By Robert T on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

I think waiting until the year before free agency is bad. Players such as Dockett need to be reworked ASAP because with an uncapped NFL now….big pay days for players like him are getting bigger. I would rather sign him now, and then extending accordingly.

15. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Ottis —

Dockett clearly has huge thighs. But Williams, I don’t know if “huge” is the word. Check out the photo on the homepage announcing tomorrow’s live chat.

16. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Eddie T —

I wrote everything he told me. Obviously he isn’t happy guys have left. I am sure McFadden, a fellow Florida Stater, was his boy. But he knows business is business.

17. By CardinalSwagger on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

I hope the Cards give him the contract he surely deserves.

18. By dylan on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

imma have to say williams has bigger thighs. they are umm let me think of the word enormous lol

19. By bobF on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Dockett probably knows many fans have no love for McFadden so he is best just letting it go.

20. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

What’s the chances he participates in mini-camp or all of a sudden develops a strained esophagus from downing Wendy’s chicken nuggets and Frosty’s?
    He’s missed what, the last 2 seasons OTA’s?
    And does any other Card tweet as much as him? I see McBride likes to discuss daily nuances almost as much as Darnell.

21. By ben on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

PAY THE MAN!!!

22. By Stephen on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

How long is minicamp? Is there any way you can give us a breakdown of the schedule for voluntary and minicamps from here until training camp??

Thanks!

23. By black on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Our d line is gonna be awesome! With Williams we can say we counter moved in this years draft with SF’s newbies. Can’t wait.

24. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Stephen —

Minicamp is five practices over three days starting Friday. There are 14 days of OTAs spread out from May 25 through June 10.

25. By kenneth on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

darnell is going to re-sign with the Cards right? We can’t afford to lose anyone else. Will there be a lockout in your opinion come March 2010?

thx kenneth Cardinals Fan Fo LIfe!

26. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Kenneth —

I hope there isn’t a lockout but honestly, I don’t know right now. I won’t be surprised if there is one.

27. By kenneth on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

That’s what I was thinking. It does not look good from what I read.

thx for your quick response. Go Az Cardinals!

28. By logan cooper on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Ottis,
    Are you comparing docketts thighs to serena or venus williams?

29. By pacardfan on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Just wondering…..have you heard anything on Dan Kreider if the Cards. will re-sign him? He plays a huge part in blocking for Tim and Beannie. Good pash pretector too.

30. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

pacard —

I think Kreider could still return. Bryan Robinson is also still possible.

My guess is, if they add anyone, they will want to do it before minicamp this coming weekend.

31. By wampag on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

D- just heard the best news ever JaMarcus Russell is coming to AZ I thought we needed a CB but man I never thought we could get JaMarcus wooo hoooo

ha ha just kidding I cannot believe he is getting cut this week wow what a downfall all the more reason for a rookie wage scale…I think there should be a rule..when a player is as big of a bust as he was they should forfeit their money and it should be sent to that aged players foundation Johnny U started

you expect anytime with Williams tomorrow?

any new news on CB’s?

I might have missed it but st pierre is the door closed now

GO CARDS

32. By Andre on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Hey Darren. Good work you’re doing.

Do you know Lott’s plan for our number 1 pick? Also, whats nickname has he given him?

33. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Williams in what way? He won’t be here until Thursday. St. Pierre isn’t coming back, not with four QBs on the roster. And I will let you know if there is CB news.

34. By Tony on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Any idea on when they will be announcing the Flagstaff training camp schedule? Me needs to book me room!!!

35. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Andre —

Haven’t heard on either. Maybe I can investigate that.

36. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Tony —

That usually doesn’t come out until June.

37. By grim on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

I am a hurricanes fan also, so i am sad to see all my canes gone except CC, but my heart lies with the birds and Dockett is my fave Nole. Give him some cheese he deserves it!

38. By wampag on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

D- I have to admit hearing Whiz and Graves talk about him and then seeing his press conference I really like this kid Dan Williams..I would lovew to know your impressions after thursday you have a good feel for these guys he seems like Beanie to me wide eyed and ready to play…I have to admit Whiz drafts a certain kind of player and I really enjoy those players with heart its why I will miss Q so much but I do agree he needed a new start and he is going to be amazing on the ravens we might even play thim in the SB…ha ha GO CARDS

oh and P.S. you get to mention my fan base idea to corporate? i got a guy that told me how to do it and it isn’t too hard but the endorsement would hlep make it legit i don’t expect anything out of it of course purely about putting fans in touch it’s so much better to watch your team with other fans

39. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Wampag —

Send me the details of your fan base plan to askdarren@cardinals.nfl.net.

40. By vance.m on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

i think the nfc west is going to be much more competitive this year except for maybe the lambs

the 9ers think they got our number with our schedule we have to show up every week especially with san fran we need to at least split this year a sweep would be great but remember were not running the greatest show on turf anymore .[ god bless you kurt ]
    its gonna take some getting used too watching leinert every week i hope he studied a lot of film asked a lot of questions and made sure to take notes not to mention working on his mechanics
    and probably the most important thing develop some chemistry in camp and preseason with fitz, breaston,and doucett

otherwise its gonna be a long year. how long do you think whiz will wait to bench him should he not perform?
    i predict by the fourth game if we start 2 and 2 matts safe 1 and three he better take the over the shoulder look 0 and 4 god forbid and say hello to mr anderson or dare i say skelton

41. By ben on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

should the cards try to add henderson to the d line

42. By ruben on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

pay the mannnnnnnnnnnnn

43. By TBru on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Hope to see DD in the Fullback slot a few more times this season, but yes bring back Kreider.

44. By Sec.144 on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Dockett is a top tier DT. What do you see as a legit contract offer the Cards should make? PAY THE MAN!!

45. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Ben —

He doesn’t fit. After Faneca, they aren’t going to add any more “big” names.

46. By darrenurban on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

Sec. 144 —

I think they will eventually pay him.

47. By Sec.144 on Apr 27, 2010 | Reply

ALL YEARS as a Cardinal Dockett has made $15,800,300. compare that with other DT for 2009, Dockett is 24th. http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/playersbyposition.aspx?pos=149&order=Salary+desc

PAY THE MAN!!

48. By ReoHays on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

The Cards get no respect around the league. When we go 11-5 and win our division again… Did you read that Seattle papers draft grades? Give me a break!

49. By ReoHays on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Dont be suprised if we are 2-3 going into the bye. Its how we use those first 5 games as a team. I think we will start slow and end up going into the playoffs rideing an 9-2 finish, with a six game win streak.
    This game is about winning and we know how to do that now!

2. Apr 27, 2010: uberVU - social comments
  3. Apr 27, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com
  4. Apr 28, 2010: [Cardinals] Cardinals DE Darnell Dockett Reports To Offseason Program