Bryan Robinson returns

Posted by Darren Urban on April 28, 2010 – 9:10 am

The roster keeps getting bigger.

The Cardinals and veteran starting nose tackle Bryan Robinson have agreed to a one-year contract, bolstering the depth at the position. Robinson is a great presence in the locker room because of his experience, and assuming he remains the starter, he can bridge the gap for rookie Dan Williams to eventually take that role. There was talk about Robinson retiring — a couple of players I talked to thought he was leaning that way — but again, it’s made a difference on the defensive line to have Robinson there to talk to about things.

Having him at nose tackle also puts some pressure on Gabe Watson to up his game, now that Williams is around. And it should do the same for Alan Branch, who is better served at end anyway.

There is still a chance the Cards bring back fullback Dan Kreider, I think, but other than that, I believe the roster is fairly set for minicamp. You know, unless the Cards surprise me again.

Tags: , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Bryan Robinson returns”

1. By JohnO on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Cool. Competition is good.

Darren – do you think the Cards will bring in another veteran CB before camp begins or wait for cuts to start?

2. By darrenurban on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

JohnO —

I think it’ll depend on what they see at minicamp and OTAs.

3. By Justin on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Q: are you guys going to have a roundtable wrap-up on the draft?

4. By 949Cardsfan on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Depth and competition, how important it is! This is the key ingredient to the knew look, coach Whiz, cards.

5. By Todd on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren maybe the Cards will surprise you with a Peyton Manning for Leinart trade? lol

6. By Sittin in the Sun at Sun Devil Stadium on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Wow! Really surprised!

Darren-

Who will be the starting fullback in minicamp?

Any chance at a Ralph Brown return?

7. By brazilian fan on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

darren, Kreider doesn’t return, who goes at FB? Nehemiah Broughton, Reagan Maui’a? do you think the guys will surprise you again like that, or the most probable is Dan’s return?

8. By MikeFlorio on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

REALLY??????? Byan Robinson???????? He has made that transistion to a 3-4 defense that easy, but what about Alan Branch? Is he becoming more of and end now or what? When is Branch gonna work out?? How long does it take for a player to develop? I would hate to have a Wendall Bryant on our hands again, Or a Calvin Pace. How Old is Robinson again???? With all the bengay we are gonna use this season we better get some depends as well

9. By chris freeman on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

What it seems like is Arizona will be run heavy to try to take the ballout of the Qbs hand giving an open chancet o make QB changesin the middleo f season without much risk.

i have a feeling Leinart it on a very short string. lets just call it an Electric Collar.

10. By darrenurban on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Justin —

Not sure. I was thinking about a post-minicamp podcast.

11. By darrenurban on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Sittin, Brazilian —

Great question on FB. I have no clue if Kreider doesn’t return.

Ralph isn’t coming back.

12. By lg on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

CB and QB are the two spots every fan will wonder about. hopfully matt do good and greg do better than mcfadden. he did better than mcfadden last cause he got one int

13. By Steve on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren-assuming Faneca starts at guard along with Wells, what are the chances of Lutei eventually being traded? especially if he continues to stay away and not sign his tender.

14. By darrenurban on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Steve —

Good question. I think Deuce will soon sign his tender. We’ll see where it goes from there.

15. By Don't Take Losses on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

The cuts are a coming…not soon but they loom big. Way too many players, LOTS of talent…tough decisions. Will befun to watch how the Coach sorts it out. Like the draft, surprises continue.

16. By Rich on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

another great move. I still conted that if we round out some veteran depth at corner, sign another receiver for competition at number 4, get that fullback on board………………this could be the best Cards team ever in AZ. Gonna see alot of running the ball…a different kind of offense. Leinart doesn’t have to be warner.

17. By Brandon on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Im guessing Alan Branch gets cut, and maybe Lutui traded for a late round pick next year.

18. By Morris on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

darren – would you think the cardinals would pick pick up adalius thomas now that he is a free agent,they need OLB help, he is available

19. By Sean on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

If the cards were smart they would go after Marc Bulger, as it would be just like another Warner story, always hurt no body & wanted him. If you’ve ever watched Bulger you know he is very accuate & is much better than all the quarterbacks on our roster at the moment…..Just a thought! :-)

20. By KG on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

D-

Who, if anyone, has been pegged to do the Big Red Rage now that the B-Train has hung ‘em up? Is B-Rob a candidate for that, or is Bert still going to be involved in some way with the team/show?

21. By darrenurban on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Morris —

22. By darrenurban on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

KG —

It won’t be Berry. I do know there are a couple of candidates, but that’s under wraps until it’s figured out.

23. By Eazy E on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Good depth move at NT with B-Rob. Alan Branch won’t be cut as long as he’s doing his thing.

24. By KENNETH on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I do not want Marc Bulger here. Lets go with Matt and give our quality back ups a fighting chance in derick anderson and max hall.

25. By Ctownbeatdown on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

What up KG!

-i actually like where we are with cb. Can we use a vet? sure. do we need to go overpay a player to play nickel? of coarse not. I think with the addition of porter on the outside, and williams freeing up Nine-o and CC. We might see a better defensive back field.

Darren
    is needing outside linebacker help news to you? it is to me. I like all of our linebackers. From Reggie walker to the newly aquired Paris Lenon. i have a friend that is a lions fan so i watched him play when he was with them. He is a smart player that will always work hard. I think he is great for depth and we will see if he will start.

26. By darrenurban on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Ctown —

Outside depth? I think, right now, they are good there.

27. By Derrick on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I actually liked Dockett at FB so maybe if no one else shows up he can play there every once in a while ;)

28. By Brian R. on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I like this guy. Welcome back!!!

29. By Scott H on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Good to have Robinson back in the fold for this year. It keeps us solid at that position. Maybe one of these days ( or, should I say years??? ) Gabe Watson will actually show up. But I would advise the front office to keep Robinson’s number handy. Darren, I must ask…and by now, you probably know that I am foolishly optimistic in my thoughts but here goes – is there any chance that Bertrand Berry could be talked into coming out of retirement and playing at least one more season? I mean, if the guy is done with football and just wants to move on with his life, then so be it. But this man looks like he could still play for a few more seasons if he wanted to. Any chance? Do you know if the Cardinals have put in a call to feel him out? ( Hey, at least I’m not asking about Warner coming back anymore, so I am getting better…)

30. By darrenurban on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Scott H —

I think both sides are satisfied with Bertrand’s decision.

31. By William Barry on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Hi, Team:

In the draft, we have acquired Dan Williams, NT, a great WR in the 4th round from the Citadel, another TE in the 7th round, the great OLB from Wisconsin, I think we have had one of the great drafts of recent memory…Let us give Matt Leinart a chance….we will be fine for the season….

William Barry

32. By Former Steeler Fan on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Kenneth,

Skelton (who was drafted, not a UFA like Hall) will be the third QB, not Max Hall. He is a Big Ben type that I believe Whiz wants to eventually be the starter,

33. By Ctownbeatdown on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Andre Roberts was 3rd round wasn’t he?

34. By Storme on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

yes he was

35. By Michael from stl on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

I would like us to get bulger too but if i had a chocie i rather give leinart a chance especially because of the money were paying him and i say sign bulger as a another backup for 1 year deal because leinart is injury prone and he had two season ending injuries within being sacked 5 times and bulger is acurate he just didnt have an o-line at st.louis and we have one in arizona and he can probably contribute alot for this team

36. By Sean on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

I agree with giving Lienart a chance, but I like the idea of having Bulger for insurance because honestly Leinart hasn’t shown me anything that makes me have confidence in him. The Tennessee game was the best I’ve seen him play since his rookie year……Almost everything he throws is high since they’ve played around with his throwing motion.