• Thu., May. 08, 2014 5:00PM MST NFL Draft First round of the NFL draft.

Leinart’s new address

Posted by Darren Urban on April 28, 2010 – 2:32 pm

Matt Leinart has moved into a different neighborhood.

The Cardinals’ locker room is, for the most part, separated into positions. Leinart has long been along the wall closest to the equipment room, tucked between Kurt Warner on the end and Brian St. Pierre among the quarterbacks. But Warner is gone — Derek Anderson took that stall — and St. Pierre isn’t coming back. And that gave Leinart a chance to search for different real estate. He’d wanted to move in with the offensive linemen. He’s often done sprints with the linemen since he arrived in Arizona (he still had to make quarterback times) and this was just another angle.

“I just wanted to be with my lineman — simple as that,” Leinart said. “Now it’s all business. I’m not trying to do it to make a statement or anything, I’m just doing it because these are my guys. I just want them to know I’ll be a leader and I’ll have their back too. We can’t be an offense without them.”

So in the corner where the offensive linemen call home, Leinart is now between Brandon Keith — who may be his blind-side protector at right tackle — and Jeremy Bridges — who will battle Keith for that starting job.

“We welcome him with open arms,” Keith said. “He’s our quarterback. It’s weird he has moved, you have the big guys and the little skinny beanpole in between. It’s kind of funny.” (What’s also funny is that a 6-foot-5, 232-pound man can be considered a skinny beanpole, but that’s a blog for another day.)

Keith said Leinart has had a good relationship with the line, spending more time with them last season as well as the runs, “getting a feel for how all of us are.”

But does that mean Leinart has to start lifting like the linemen?

“We won’t put that on him,” Keith said. “He needs his arm for a special purpose, other than lifting weights. So he’s cool.”

Tags: , ,

55 Responses to “Leinart’s new address”

1. By Brandon on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

6’5 232 wow no clue he was that big

2. By EricY on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I think it’s awesome ML7 has posted up with his line. The chemistry/relationship between a QB and his line is an important one.

EricY likes this

3. By Kip Cotter on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

all I can say is Leinart has a real big set of shoes to fill. I hope he does well and makes us all proud. GO CARDS

4. By William on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

That title threw me off – I thought he had gotten traded. Darn :)

Hehe.

5. By dylan on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

this shows alot actually.. and kip why do you doubt leinart so much?

6. By dylan on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

i mean williams why do you doubt leinart so much

7. By CMacyn on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

First off, Darren you rock. second, wow I didn’t think leinart was that big that gives him a clear view of the passing lanes, very informative. Third, Darren I did some research on Alfonso Smith and found he runs a low 4.3 high 4.2 and was curious do you see us getting rid of wright or do you think this is to get more speed on the field during punts and kickoffs. He will go great with Howlings.

8. By drewcards ace on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

i thinks cool he wants to be with his line, but wonder why theres a bowling pin in his locker?

9. By darrenurban on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

CMacyn –

On a personal level, Jason Wright is great so I hope he doesn’t go anywhere, but you never know. He’s a key special teamer, though, so with Morey leaving, he may be on solid ground.

10. By CMacyn on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Thanks for all the info Darren, you do way more than what is asked of you and for that once again, you rock. GO CARDS

11. By darrenurban on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

DrewCards –

You noticed that, huh? Matt’s team was one of the winners in last season’s charity bowling tournament held by Cardinals Charities.

12. By Paul on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Darren, since no safties in the draft, is Mike Brown on the Cardinals Radar?

13. By darrenurban on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Paul –

He is on the radar, but not to sign at the moment. The Cards have 82 guys on the roster.

14. By WVcardsFan on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Notice how the stall is right between the two guys battling to protect his blindside. Smart, Matty, smart.

15. By kerouac9 on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

This was just a fantastic post, Darren. Thanks for the great work.

16. By johnnybluenose on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

leinart reminds me of one of those guys who always tries too hard to fit in. he says he wants to be with his guys and he has self-described himself as a leader. the truth is he hasn’t yet proven himself. i hope he does well but until he does, all this posturing is a bit off-putting, at least to me. must admit though, i too am surprised that he is as big as reported. go cardinals !

17. By darrenurban on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Johnny –

Just to clarify, I approached him about this move. I don’t think Matt would have ever said anything about it if I hadn’t asked him.

18. By HD on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Needless to say, I am pleased with all of the positives com’in out of the Cards camp in this off season. Darran, you will have to agree it is the little things that can make all the diference in the world, thanks for the great reporting. GO CARDS

19. By MikeFlorio on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

OK, People are getting tired of me talking trash about the organization I got that!!
    But, Back when we let Plummer go and we ran through, King, MCowin, and all the other forgetables that couldnt take us anywhere, we were saved when Lienart dropped 10th to us. Now I can understand how ppl get upset when I talk about the organization when our starting QB MATT LIENART #7 is going to get his chance. PPL diss on him all day why??? Why??? why is that?? That is just as bad as me talking about all the over the hill has beens added to the roster. Everyone thinks that these FA still got it, that what I thought when #22 came here. So for us true FANS that have been here for longer that oh, lets say the 08 playoffs, back off, give Lienart a chance, he was I remember the savior of our team and he is still unproven, but he is getting his chance. Thats more than any of you will ever have. Go win a Heisman, a couple national titles and then you can bag on Lienart.

20. By MikeFlorio on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Oh and also people please stop drooling all over URB!!! good gracious you would think he won a pulitzer for blogging. How many idiots are gonna say great job darren, wow your blogs are so insight full. Jeez its like a grown man love fest in this place, do you guys feel alittle wierd typing this crap, cause it seems weird reading it.

21. By phoenix on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

just when is leinart going to prove himself. cards lose every time he starts.

22. By KENNETH on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I am glad to see Matt working, and being a team member with his O line. I hope this closeness pays off on the field. Go #7.

23. By Scott H on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I must say, Leinart is showing the right attitude and saying all the right things. I’ve been in his corner all along and I like that he is bonding with “his guys” on the O-line. With Faneca on board ( I just saw the news!!! ), the O-line is solid, they have an excellent tandem at RB with Wells and Hightower, and the best WR in football leading a dynamic group of targets. It’s all there for Leinart to NOT have to be the focal point that Warner was, yet still be successful. And he doesn’t have to be what Warner was for this team to be successful. I’m SOOOOO psyched to see this team with Wells providing the type of running game that we haven’t seen since…god knows when? I have to think these big guys on the O-line are licking their chops knowing that they’re gonna get to do a lot more run blocking this year! I can’t wait to see it.

24. By RobertF on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

two Summers ago I ran into Matt at a Whattaburger. it was crowded and he asked to sit a my table. a good young man, who so far really has not been as aweful as many think. I instructed at the Special Forces Assesment and Selection course (SFAS) for three years, where we separate those who have it and those who don’t. We will be Okay with Matt because he has IT. Replacing the AZ Cardinals only HOF player( Adrian Wilson will be next) is a big deal. Matt will handle it well. Those bouts with Jay Glaser have paid off.

25. By Longcolts on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Johnny this isn’t about your perception that Leinart is a leader. It’s about the teams perception.

26. By darrenurban on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

MikeFlorio –

Tell you what “Mike.” You want to talk some trash, fine. I keep approving it. But be man enough to put your name to it. Your real name.

27. By FightOn on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Ah…this is the kind of thing Matt did when he was at USC, he worked out with his linemen….at 6am in the morning…even though the QBs could show up later in the morning. If Matt was asked to make an appearance on a sports show, he took his “Big Uglies” with him every chance he could. Matt had the cleanest uniform in CFB, his “guys” loved him.

28. By Dustin D on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Mike

On your first blog i thought maybe just maybe he might be coming around… but then you had to open your mouth again and its like oh there the guy we all know and DONT love. I know your jealous of DU but you just keep coming back for more. You say your a longtime fan but even through all those 4-12 seasons i still didnt talk so much smack about the cards. Quit being so pesamistic and think positive. Also, I can honestly say that i dont feel the least bit weird thanking Darren for his GREAT work, besides obviously you like it too cuz u always check out the bloggs and take the time to comment. So get over yourself and just say it with me now. “Thank you Darren you are the man.” Now that wasn’t so bad was it Mike.

29. By Lawrence Miller on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Jean Jacques Rousseau: “Every honest man puts his name to what he writes.”

30. By William on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

dylan –

I’ve never been a fan of left-handed QB’s.

Darren –

You rock.

31. By Barry on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I like the story Darren..thank you and keep them coming!!
    ………
    For all the doubter…which seem to come outta the woodwork these days…I really don’t think you could do better than Matt L. The guy has to be given a decent chance (full season to play) but, the best you can do is knock him down because thats all you got to work with.. If you don’t have anything worth posting…dont!
    ……….

Good luck Matt!! Go Cardinals!!

32. By kyle on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I really like matts attitude and the things he’s done to prepare for the season. mikeflorcio just go away dude we don’t need your negativity. you don’t have to bash on all the love darren gets from fans just cuz your jealous, cuz I bet noone likes you

33. By jason on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Nice to see matt move up.Im having faith in matt to get the team into the playoffs.

34. By Cardsftw on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I think matt is going to have a hell of a year! i remember the 06 Draft wanting one player over anyone else… that was matt! and we lucked out and got him! i think he’s going to have an awesome year! maybe not the numbers but the wins and the leadership!

35. By Cardinal Cody on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

First of all, MikeFlorio is a troll. Don’t feed the trolls. Second, I think it sounds like ML is doing everything he needs to be a leader. I am excited to see what this squad can do this season! Go Cardinals!!!

36. By Jon L on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

darren,
    Matt wanting to be with the lineman doesnt shock me at all considering that he was overweight when he was younger and has a program to help overweight youth. I think leinart will show the world what hes made of but if he falters how long do you think it will be until he is pulled as a starter?

37. By JustinS on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I’ve never commented but enjoy reading these blogs. I’m excited about this year and really think we ought to give Leinart a shot before we bag on him. Anybody who says he has truly had his shot is just plain wrong. I also have to agree with MikeFlorio on the fact that it feels a little awkward with all the back rubbing to the author

38. By Logan Cooper on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Mike Florio,
    Spew your filth somewhere else, or at least do it before your TV dinner and your six pack of beer.

We are all huge fans of the cardinals and showing appreciation to Darren, who puts in a great amount of work for our benefit, is nothing to be frowned upon.

39. By Joe Cochell on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I have no idea how anyone can bag on Leinart, he has been put in a tough position; ,in 07 his collarbone injury at St. Louis, getting beat out by Kurt, coming in for 3-4 play during a game and being judged on that performance, He had a close game against Tennessee which he not started a game since 07 which he won the last 2 games he did play before that ( Rams and Steelers). This guy has been through much and I believe now is his time and I have all the confidence in the world he will be great. I am counting down till football season

GO CARDS!!!

p.s. to Leinart THROW IT DOWN BIG MAN

40. By Deveau on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

I smell verbal kung-fu, spoken challenge rings in the air.

41. By darrenurban on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

Jon L –

What if he doesn’t falter?

42. By CHIRPCHIRP44 on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

LEINART IS GOING TO COME OUT WEEK 1 AND FREAK IT PEOPLE!!!!!

43. By C Congrove on Apr 28, 2010 | Reply

If you’re on this website you can easily go to the team roster & find out all kinds of FACTS…like Leinart’s height and weight… You can also learn that in 2006 ML became the 1st Card since Plummer in 2001 to have 3 games in a season with a 100% plus QB rating. ML became 1st rookie in NFL history to throw for over 400 yards in a game. ML’s 2547 yards passing in 2006 broke Plummer’s franchise rookie record of 2203 in 1997. ML became the 1st QB in NFL history to throw 2 TD passes in the 1st quarter of his 1st 2 games. At USC his record was 37-2 a 94.8% winning percentage. Won 2 back to back championships. Holds USC and Pac 10 record for career TD passes with 99 – shattering Carson Palmer’s record of 72 and conference record of 77 set by John Elway…None of that was done with smoke and mirrors. Get some facts before you criticize ML. Give the guy a chance!

44. By MikeFlorio on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Yeah, you all are right. I am really sorry, i just have nothing better to do. Man, i can’t wait to go to fan fest this weekend so i could watch the best wide reciever in the league Larry Fitzgerald. I was happy to see Bryan Robinson sign because it just made sense. We did just invest a first round pick an millions of dollars for that position, so why not bring in a mentor for him. Anyways, Thank you so much Urb for all the time you invest in us and the cardinals. i guess it’s your job, but no one could say you slack off. Thanks again, you are the best EVER!!

45. By SierraVistaNick on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

DARREN DOES AN OUTSTANDING JOB KEEPING US INFORMED! Look at the other team’s sites. Not near as much info coming out to the fans. The season never ends for me and I get more news here than NFL.com most of the time.

Matt needs to fail and regroup to succeed. This is his season to do that. None of the greats came right out and had a great season. He needs the full chance.

DU DOES AN OUTSTANDING JOB! HE SHOULD BE NOMINATED FOR A PULITZER! (MikeFlorio, everyone becomes a fan of a team at some point. I don’t think we’ve met, otherwise you’d know I’ve been a long time fan and true to the word “FAN”. I’m sure I’m not the only one.)

46. By Mike T on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

I had no idea that Matt was 6’5″ 232 lbs. I really thought that he was smaller than that for some reason.

47. By darrenurban on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Everyone –

I appreciate the props, but as of now, any further back and forth about me and/or “Florio” on this thread is just going to get deleted. Time to move on.

48. By dylan on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

given the stats congrove showed too us how come no one believes in matt

49. By darrenurban on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Dylan –

It’s tough not to have some doubts. Matt obviously struggled in his brief appearances last year, and he was hot and cold in early 2007 the last time he was the starter. I don’t blame anyone for wondering about him — you’re probably naive if you don’t have at least a little of a wait-and-see approach.

That said, the people that don’t even think he should get an opportunity, I don’t understand that.

50. By dylan on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

i will say im a little nervous about his start but what fan wouldn be nervous after losing a hof qb and now starting a back up that hasn played that much in the last 3 years. but i just dont understand how some people think D.A. should get the starting position right off the bat and matt should be gone. especially when matt has learned behind warner kinda like rodgers and farve. and matt has been here in the same system for 3 years

51. By FightOn on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Look…Matt has done no worse – considering the number of starts, than almost every successful QB in NFL history not named Marino. Again, NUMBER OF STARTS is key, plus those starts have not been accumulated consistantly to gain momentum. Back and forth back and forth, no matter the reason. Even Warner himself stated that 31 other teams in the NFL would not have started Kurt over developing a rookie. Well, we are playing for the “win now” that made that decision the right one. Also throw in a “rookie” fanbase accustomed to not winning anything at all. You develop QB’s by playing them.

52. By TMAS on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

I think this speaks alot about Lienarts character. That he isn’t a pre-madonna. Thanks for posting this story, Darren. My respect for #7 just went through the roof!

53. By johnnybluenose on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

darren, thanks for clarifying whose idea it was to report on leinart’s locker room relocation.

54. By BigRedFan on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

This reads like a soap opera…No one can predict ezactly what Leinart does, or the team overall. There will be some shaking up of things methinks. Whiz will surprise us all I bet….

2. Apr 29, 2010: Top Posts — WordPress.com