Schofield has a name to remember

Posted by Darren Urban on April 29, 2010 – 4:53 pm

All the players came streaming in to the complex today to get physicals, take their head shots for the media guide, and generally get prepared for minicamp, which starts tomorrow.

So it was the perfect time to ask fourth-round pick O’Brien Schofield — the linebacker who blew out his ACL and who could end up sitting all of 2010 to heal — what was the deal with his name, because even he knows the name conjures up a red-headed Irish guy. But there is a story at the heart of such a name.

To begin with, O’Brien is his middle name. His first name is Alacce, pronounced a-LAY-see-a. His father Anthony is in the military, and was stationed overseas when O’Brien was born. Anthony called back to the States to discuss his baby’s name. “He said, ‘I want you to name my son Alaceo Brian Schofield,’ ” Schofield said. “My mom heard it wrong, and made it Alacce O’Brien Schofield.

“The Schofield part is actually Irish, but not the O’Brien part,” he said.

Nobody could figure out how to pronounce Alacce, though. “My middle school and high school teachers used to butcher my name so bad,” he said. “Going to the dentist, they’d call out for Alicia or Alisha. I hated it.”

So he told people to call him O’Brien, which he still uses — although for the most part, he said, he has morphed into simply O.B., a nickname he prefers, and one he hopes sticks in the Cardinals’ locker room.

“I hope they don’t give me no crazy rookie nickname,” he added with a laugh.

Tags:

32 Responses to “Schofield has a name to remember”

1. By Jesse Robles on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

I hope he recovers and continues to be a MONSTER like he was at Wisconsin. I wonder how much Cody Brown and WIll Davis are going to step up? We have some LB’s now, that is CRAZY…the Cardinals have depth at a lot of positions, that is great to see!! Just need 1 of our QB’s to step up HUGE!! GO CARDS!!

2. By Kent on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Cannot wait to see OB on the field, guy has skills and is going to be a huge players off the edge in our 34 defense.

3. By TBru on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

O.B., a nickname he prefers — and one he hopes sticks in the Cardinals’ locker room.

no coment

4. By AZfAn808 on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Darren-
    I understand missing some time, but a whole season the injury was in january it should not take all season?

5. By chris freeman on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

hows this….

serving a hefty scoop of O’Brien

but even saying “we have been saved by O.B.” doesnt sound bad neither

6. By lg on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

when he heal i think he’ll do good but time will tell

7. By Deveau on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

I was curious to know if Coach Lott views tape of the rookies to determine their best potential as far as physical regimen.

Thanks,

Cris

8. By AndyStandsUp on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Alacce, evidently, is part and parcel of the Cards drafting process- pick players who use aliases to confuse the general public.
    Taitusi (Duece), Chris(Beanie), Mike(Paris) and Turnstile(Levi) all forgo their first names.
    But as everyone knows, A Card is a Card is a Card, and to go by another name would still smell sweet.

9. By darrenurban on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Cris —

Not that I know of.

10. By ChrisNelson on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Will the first and second string offence and deffence be practicing sat.? I ask cause it says they will be on 2 feilds for the practice. Would love to see them all playin at least some.

11. By darrenurban on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

ChrisNelson —

12. By ChrisNelson on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

Any idea if we get to see some of the play book Whiz is seting up during the practice? (i.e, the 3-4 deffence or more running) Or is this just, lets go play pitch and catch?

13. By darrenurban on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

ChrisNelson —

They will run some basic stuff.

14. By ChrisNelson on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

OK thanks darren, Always appreciate all the hard work and LONG hours you put in for the fans. On All of Our Behalf… THANK YOU!

15. By Mr. Know It All on Apr 29, 2010 | Reply

TBru

O.B. like in STAR WARS

16. By Boondock on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Urb,

Is there anywhere we can view the whole “1st Day for Rookies” video? I’d like to see the rest of the interview with D-Wash and Skelton (despite the screen shot for the title, he isn’t even in the video HA).

Thanks

17. By Ctownbeatdown on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Hey D,

Can you move the practice on sat. to like noon so i can make it. J/k. I am coaching a youth flag football league that the cards are running, but i can’t go to cards mini camp.

18. By shannonrobinson on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Black Irish, of course. O’Brien, welcome to the family. “Top of the morning to you”
    “And the rest of the day to you sir.”

19. By TucsonTim on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Dansby who?

20. By John on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

After meeting OB, does he look like he could add pounds to his frame? At 221, that is a very small OLB.There is no 3-4 OLB close to that size in the league. He is very explosive and athletic,Do the cards feel he could move inside and play at 235 or so? Or do the cards view him as a passrush specialist?
    Scouting reports seem to love him and he was super productive his senior year, but at 6’2″ and 221, heck A-Dub is bigger.
    Knowing he hs a year, there is no rush, but just wondering how the coaches think he will fit in to this defense.

21. By Stuart on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Dareen-

Hey this is completly of the story but whats this I here The D Backs, Suns, and Cards are saying to not show up to any of the games until the govoner gets rid of that new Imigration Law?

22. By darrenurban on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Boondock —

I am assuming sarcasm there.

23. By darrenurban on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

John —

I mentioned this in my story on draft weekend, but the only reason Schofield was at 221 was because he weighed that much at the combine when he has just recently had his knee surgery and wasn’t working out. Schofield normally plays at 240-245.

24. By darrenurban on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Stuart —

I have no idea what you are talking about. Link?

25. By Stuart on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Na I have no link. My buddy said something about it to me last night. He said he saw it on CNN or something. I was just curious if you heard anything about that.

26. By John on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Sorry I missed that one. Makes more sense now.

Interesting, you cant run and you lose 20 pounds. Ahh to be young again.

27. By darrenurban on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Stuart —

Nope.

28. By Stuart on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Darren-

Well thanks man. Keep up the great work.

29. By Boondock on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Urb,

No, I was being serious too. The “Rookies Report To Work” video (3rd on on the main home screen) has Skelton as the “title” screen and the actual video doesn’t have him in there. Also, at the end of the video, the video cuts short the interview with D-Wash, I was actually curious if there was more footage that wasn’t put into the video that we could access somewhere.

Thanks

30. By darrenurban on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Boondock —

The only reason I mentioned Skelton was because he happened to be in that picture. Didn’t mean to mislead. That’s the entire video.

31. By Boondock on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

Urb,

Dang, oh well. Thanks for the replies. I’m stoked about our rookie class this year!

32. By darrenurban on Apr 30, 2010 | Reply

AzFan —

I think both sides will err on the side of caution.